Xena: Warrior Princess

 

“Remember Nothing”

Episode 31, Part 2

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

 

Xena: Warrior Princess is copyright MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures. All original content of Xena: Warrior Princess 2.0 is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog

 


 

TEASER

FADE IN:

INT. XENA'S HOUSE – MASTER BEDROOM – DAWN

The twins and Solan crawl around the bed. Herding successful, Xena makes sure that they are on the same side and sings them Gabrielle's lullaby. Sleepy eyes close and innocent souls descend into peaceful sleep. Xena carefully maneuvers out of bed and throws a cloak on. She opens the shutters and without affecting too many muted curses, manages to bring her very pregnant self out the small window in nearly silent and not entirely ungraceful manner.

CUT TO:

EXT. AMPHIPOLIS - XENA'S HOUSE – DAWN

Xena sneaks to the corner and looks behind the house.

The girls are up, sleepily tending to animals and chores. Apollonia and Artemisia, the younger pair, are busy feeding the chickens and gathering eggs, chatting away the time. As expected, Aphrodisia and Alexandra, the head of the local mischief syndicate, are clearly up to no good.

Xena, to herself, grinning evilly

XENA

Test me, will you?

The two conspirators, with furtive glances about, are gathering feathers on a single sheet of linen, already rich with bird down. Done, they tie the corners together and lug the bundle to the barn. Once the older girls enter the barn, Xena strides out and places her finger on her lips in a clear signal to be silent and not reveal her presence. The remaining girls return to their task, but keep a wary eye on her. When Apollonia tries to move closer to the action, a single scathing glance sends her scurrying back in fear.

Xena stops at the barn door and listens. She hears the older girls talking inside.

Aphrodisia, curious

APHRODISIA

What are the feathers for?

ALEXANDRA

Future.

APHRODISIA

We got the saws for tonight?

ALEXANDRA

Yes, several.

APHRODISIA

You sure about this? Grandma will skin us for this.

Alexandra, confidently

ALEXANDRA

It's perfect. We sneak in, carry the tables, benches and chairs to the stables, weaken them, and bring them back in. Hours of fun and hilarity.

Aphrodisia, sounding scared, hesitantly

APHRODISIA

What about her?

Alexandra, patting the feathers, grinning

ALEXANDRA

I have something unique for mother. Very, very special.

APHRODISIA

Are you sure? She always knows.

ALEXANDRA

She is not herself and I intend to prove it. We came close several times in the past and I have a feeling she won't escape this time. This is one match mother won't win.

Xena grabs the partially open door and sends it flying away, flooding the interior with light. Two guilty faces stare at her in astonishment and bodies move of their own accord to try to shield the impromptu bag from accusing eyes.

Xena, smiling radiantly

XENA

I love special. Do tell Alexandria, what's on tap?

Alexandra & Aphrodisia, knowing they got caught, fearfully exclaim

ALEXANDRA & APHRODISIA

Mother!

XENA

Since you both like the stables so much, both of you will work there for a week, starting after breakfast. Tell your father everything and work hard or you will beg for that punishment when I am thru with you.

The girls are frozen, trying to imagine a fate worse than mucking the stables. They can't and they don't want to. Two nervous throats swallow and remain silent.

Xena, satisfied her authority is back, sweetly

XENA

Yes?

ALEXANDRA & APHRODISIA

Yes mother!

Xena extends a hand and the linen with feathers is handed to her without protest.

Xena, turning to leave, throwing one final advice

XENA

One more thing, girls: if you want the furniture to collapse at different times and avoid suspicion, vary the depth of cuts and leave pieces untouched.

Xena walks out.

Aphrodisia, after checking to see if mother is really gone, stunned

APHRODISIA

Wow.

ALEXANDRA

I have another plan.

Pause.

Alexandra, remembering something, grabbing her sister's arm, smugly

ALEXANDRA

Hey, we got Solan, her precious baby.

Aphrodisia, spirits picking up, smirking at the memory

APHRODISIA

Oh yes, sweet victory. Guess we win.

Xena, war cry

XENA

Alalalalalalala!

Fierce yell splits the air and their own bag comes flying at them, splitting open and releasing its contents. Two feathered and unhappy individuals open their eyes to see their mother, soon joined by their younger siblings. There is much merriment at their expense.

Aphrodisia, turning to Alexandra, bitterly

APHRODISIA

I hate you.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

EXT. AMPHIPOLIS – INN – MORNING

Xena and her mother, Cyrene, are standing by the outside kitchen door. Cyrene reaches out and touches her daughter's face hesitantly with her fingertips, as if to confirm her existence to self. The fear of the illusion shuttering is evident in her delicate, feather-light probe tracing the familiar outlines. Xena erases the doubts by taking her mother's hand in hers and kissing it tenderly. She holds it tightly, providing reassurance in physical, tangible way.

Cyrene, emotionally

CYRENE

It is you.

Pause.

Cyrene, motherly instincts kicking in, accusingly

CYRENE

You left parts out.

Xena can only nod, her heart heavy with their sordid history.

Cyrene, trembling

CYRENE

Did I hate you?

Xena, finding words difficult, admitting quietly

XENA

You disowned me.

Cyrene, sorrowfully

CYRENE

I'm so sorry, child.

Cyrene draws Xena into her embrace and Xena goes willingly and gladly. They are both crying.

Cyrene, comfortingly

CYRENE

I am here now; I will always be here.

Xena, smiling thru the tears, warmly

XENA

We reconciled with Gabrielle's help.

CYRENE

Sounds like a special woman.

Xena and Cyrene break the hug and stand looking at each other, keeping contact.

Xena, affectionately

XENA

The kindest, gentlest, most loving soul that walked the land, backed with the will of steel and the mouth that was more dangerous than entire armies. Mind sharper than the finest blade and the light shining like the sun in the darkness of my soul. To know her was to love her.

Pause.

Xena, regretfully

XENA

… I lost her to another.

CYRENE

How?

XENA

My punishment did not wait till Tartarus; it started right away. Fates brought us together because they knew I would drive her away.

Cyrene, drawing Xena close again, pleadingly

CYRENE

Daughter, don't do this to yourself.

Xena, ever the masochist, beating herself up, sad

XENA

No, I deserved it. I hurt her repeatedly and yet she stayed, but not without a cost. The only person who could and did love the entirety of me and I pushed her into the arms of Athena. Not even Lyceus meant this much or wounded so mortally with his passing.

Cyrene, no judging, simply

CYRENE

What did you do?

XENA

I tried to kill her.

Long silence falls and reigns before they part again.

Cyrene, wisely not following up a sore subject, changing topics, softly

CYRENE

And Sophus?

XENA

He is a good man, a decent man, and he loves me.

CYRENE

You have a life together.

XENA

That's the other Xena.

Cyrene, disagreeing, strongly

CYRENE

No, you do. You are her. Sure, memories are missing but those can be made anew. You built a family, raised children and have another on the way. More are in the stars.

Xena shoots her mother a reproachful look, full of indignation.

CYRENE

Oh, don't give me that look. You did not stop at seven; you are not going to call it quits at eight.

XENA

Mother!

Cyrene, honestly and sincerely

CYRENE

You fight the truth but I will tell you something. The way he looks at you, I see it mirrored in your eyes. Surprised you, didn't I? You feel it too, maybe not as strong at the moment, but give it time. Things were meant to be. You are home and your Gabrielle is gone; accept it. I love your father with all my heart but he was a fool to chase the dream he already had. He is still out there and I am here. Hopefully, before it is too late, he will figure it out. Don't be him.

Xena, unable to put label to her feelings, uncertainly

XENA

Sophus … I feel … I am not sure what I feel.

CYRENE

You were each other's first and only. Trust in that. Trust in the ones who love you. Stay.

Xena, feeling trapped, defensive

XENA

I … I … need time to think.

Cyrene, giving her room, gently

CYRENE

I love you, Xena.

XENA

I love you too.

CUT TO:

EXT. AMPHIPOLIS – MILITIA TRAINING GROUND – MIDMORNING

A few OLDER BOYS and YOUNG MEN sweat in the combat drills under the watchful eye of Phokas. Upon seeing Xena approach, he does not hide his surprise. Quickly recovering, Phokas intercepts her before she can get to the weapons laid out on and against the benches on one side of the practice field. Waterskins in stacks and spare leather armor and shields complete the gear laid out.

Phokas, sarcastic

PHOKAS

The teacher returns. You going to drop the child as a new fighting tactic? It only works once, you know.

XENA

I figure the only way you have a fighting chance if I was in labor.

PHOKAS

I see motherhood has not mellowed you out over the years. What's your pleasure today?

XENA

Staff then sword.

PHOKAS

Welcome back. I won't go easy on you.

XENA

Good.

Phokas is a highly proficient and skilled opponent, but Xena sparred with Gabrielle and the bard was exceptional. She still remembered her shock when she discovered Gabrielle was holding back. Fully unleashed, even Xena could not hold her own for long against her friend and only after a year of practice was now approaching equality. The only advantage Phokas now has is her advanced pregnancy altering her balance and range of motion but Xena easily compensates. They fall into a rhythm of parrying and striking, keeping this more a workout than actual sparring.

Phokas, after a few minutes, intrigued

PHOKAS

You holding out on me?

XENA

Why?

Phokas, mentioning to the OLDER BOYS and YOUNG MEN to join them

PHOKAS

You are not the same fighter of years ago. Oh, your body does not show it but I can sense a master when I face one. Bring it.

Neither of them notices Sophus arrive and lean against a nearby building. From a distance he watches the battle. It is a short one.

They come at Xena from all sides, while Phokas presses her from the front. Xena does her yell and tears into all comers. It is not even close and bodies fall like timber. In short order the ground is littered with groaning defeated and only Phokas is left standing. A blow shatters his staff and he joins his students in lopsided loss.

Phokas, amazed

PHOKAS

Spawn of Tartarus! Are you God Ares?

Xena, extending a hand to help him up, laughing

XENA

Nah, I am better looking.

Xena lifts him up to his feet and then whirls to face an approaching figure. She is greeted with Lyceus' grinning face. He is holding two swords and offers her one.

Lyceus, joking

LYCEUS

Someone has to put you in your place.

XENA

Won't be today and won't be you, brother.

LYCEUS

You would raise a hand against your own?

Xena, promising with a smile

XENA

No. Against you, yes.

LYCEUS

I resent that.

XENA

Tough.

They cross blades as the field quickly empties of the last group of combatants, who now watch from the side.

CUT TO:

EXT. AMPHIPOLIS – MILITIA TRAINING GROUND – LATE MORNING

Xena and Lyceus are stained with sweat as they head for the benches. Xena drops the sword and hugs the surprised Lyceus. It is tad awkward with the belly in the way, but he appears not to mind and returns it in kind.

LYCEUS

What was that for?

Xena, tearfully

XENA

We died twelve years ago. It is hard to believe the Fates returned you to me.

Lyceus, still trying to get used to the idea of another past, puzzled

LYCEUS

We?

Xena, with aching sorrow

XENA

An arrow took you and bore my insides hollow. I was an empty, hurting shell.

LYCEUS

I'm sorry.

Xena, affectionately

XENA

Gabrielle's love redeemed me.

Lyceus, pointedly

LYCEUS

Women are not your type.

The break the embrace and Xena takes a seat. Lyceus hands her a waterskin and takes one for himself. They drink thirstily.

XENA

Our souls merged into one a year ago. We are closer than blood or marriage, yet apart. She is joined with another.

Lyceus, whistling

LYCEUS

You left out a lot. Does Sophus know?

XENA

I am not a bard and it was personal. There are things that should not be spoken of between husband and wife.

Lyceus, with conviction

LYCEUS

Not between us.

Xena, acknowledging, lovingly

XENA

You were … are my world.

Lyceus, showing the scar on his palm, believing

LYCEUS

As it was, it is now; in this life and any other.

Lyceus reaches out with his marked hand and wipes the escaping tears.

Lyceus, seriously

LYCEUS

Xena, my wife and your husband are jealous of what we have. What does that tell you?

Xena, firmly

XENA

Two are one.

Lyceus, sharing the sentiment, immediately

LYCEUS

Always.

Pause.

Lyceus, giving Xena time to collect herself, curious

LYCEUS

The Fates offered you a second chance. Why?

Xena, carefully

XENA

I think I died at Thessaly. It's ironic: I, who had no use for Gods after Ares, laid my life for a temple of one. I loved Athena and died for her kin. I figure the Fates rewarded my loyalty instead of cutting the thread.

LYCEUS

You sure it was not this Gabrielle you fought for?

Xena, reflecting on the past and her choices, thoughtfully

XENA

For the longest time: yes; in a large part, yes. However, she was not the one who made the decision this time. I don't deny that is what she wanted and I acted in accordance with her wishes but the choice was mine to make and I did.

Lyceus, clearly impressed

LYCEUS

You walked with the Gods. Who were they to you?

XENA

I was Ares' Chosen and Athena's best friend. Gabrielle is married to Athena and champions many on Olympus. She is her Chosen.

LYCEUS

Sister, I am impressed by the company you keep. No wonder God Ares favors our King.

Xena, measuring the word, getting a nagging feeling she is forgetting something

XENA

Ares …

Pause.

Xena, suddenly turning pale

XENA

Gods! Lyceus, I did a terrible thing.

Lyceus, concerned

LYCEUS

What's wrong?

Xena, hiding her face, her posture sinking wearily, despairing

XENA

I betrayed Gabrielle. I made a wrong choice again and hurt her.

Lyceus, understanding and sympathizing with the wrong event, comfortingly

LYCEUS

Your death was not your fault, vagaries of the battlefield.

XENA

That's not …

Xena, emotionally worn out, letting it go for now, sighing

XENA

… you are right. We will talk later.

Pause.

XENA

Your Xena ... I … hanged up the sword four years ago. Why?

LYCEUS

King Gabe.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

EXT. AMPHIPOLIS – NEAR RIVER BANK – 4 YEARS AGO/LATE SPRING/PREDAWN

The first light is still below the horizon when Ares boldly strides into the quiet and dark of Cortese's camp. He cuts down the pair of SENTRIES, but not before they cry out for help. Dark figures start rising and emerging from tents, looking for illumination. It comes from the most unexpected and terrifying of sources.

A flaming arrow whizzes by the God of War and takes a CORTESE'S THUG in the chest. He falls, flailing his arms into the tent, which goes up in flames. Relentlessly and mercilessly, the burning, killing arrows keep coming. Fires are starting and screams of CORTESE'S THUGS fill the air. All hits are fatal yet not all bring quick death.

Into this chaos walks Ares and behind him come the VILLAGERS, from all sides. Years of unsettled scores are on their minds, for the atrocities perpetrated under Cortese's banner and in his name. Today, those accounts will be settled and no mercy given. They fall on the disorganized CORTESE'S THUGS and the battle begins in earnest.

Ares is a magnificent sight. No one can stand against him; his dark armor glistens with fresh offerings and the pure joy he takes in the fighting disconcerts and scares his opponents. The last thing many CORTESE'S THUGS hear is his laughter. This is the God of War in his element, fury and madness unleashed.

His grim harvest and Gabe's arrows break the besieged band's spirit. Realizing they will be cut down to the man if they continue to resist, the surviving CORTESE'S THUGS throw down their weapons. It is over, they think. They are wrong.

CUT TO:

EXT. AMPHIPOLIS – NEAR RIVER BANK – 4 YEARS AGO/LATE SPRING/DAWN

Gabe still stands in the same place he was since the battle began. His bow is shouldered and his arms folded across his chest. He is watching the activity impassively. Alcaeus, his second in command, finds him and awaits orders in silence.

Gabe, eyes pained, willing his voice to remain steady

GABE

The prisoners will be offered as sacrifice to Ares; I will do it personally. Crucify all the bodies.

Alcaeus, shuddering

ALCAEUS

Gabe, after it is done, most of us are leaving. This …

He sweeps his arm over the battlefield.

Alcaeus, eyes haunted, pained

ALCAEUS

… I don't want this. Few of us who served do. Not again.

Gabe, nodding, sadly

GABE

Alcaeus, it is my burden to carry alone. You and others are free of any obligation.

Alcaeus, delicately, unsure

ALCAEUS

Should we go to Amphipolis and bring the retired men to justice? I understand that one of them was responsible for your … loss.

Gabe, emphatically

GABE

No. This is not about revenge, this is about justice. I forgive them because now I done worse.

Alcaeus, placing a supporting arm on Gabe's shoulder, sympathetically

ALCAEUS

I know what this cost you and we will always remember what you did for us. The favor from Ares is steeped in your sacrifice. We are grateful; Potidaea will support you with men and supplies.

GABE

Thank you. You are a great teacher and good man. In the name of God Ares.

ALCAEUS

In his glory.

CUT TO:

EXT. AMPHIPOLIS – NEAR RIVER BANK – 4 YRS AGO/LATE SPRING/AFTERNOON

Xena and Lyceus emerge on the bank in their underwraps. The small wooden raft that they pushed across has their clothes and weapons. They dress and equip quickly then head into the thick bushes. There is no path on this side and it is eerily quiet.

Lyceus, ever the voice of caution, spooked by the silence

LYCEUS

There is a reason they don't want anyone from village to leave.

Xena, dismissively

XENA

Few retired slavers are worried about their necks - serves them right.

Lyceus, uneasy

LYCEUS

Xena, the trader said it was bad, real bad. Said no one in their proper mind wants to go garner a look. Said he will have nightmares for the rest of his life. For Zeus' sake, he was crying and babbling by the end of his account!

Xena, excitedly

XENA

Come on Lyceus, a battle was fought at dawn and rumors say God Ares himself was here! Imagine the glory and the spectacle! One weak stomached fool tells you something and you believe him.

They step out onto the open field and stop abruptly. The open field stretches ahead of them up to the road in the distance. Remains of camp smoke on and char the trampled ground; broken weapons and debris litter the ground. The wind shifts and the stench of death assaults them. And by the road …

A single, long row of crosses extends up and down the rutted stretch of dirt. Mangled and burned bodies hang and crows circle and land on them, feasting. Xena and Lyceus realize they are no survivors; everyone is dead and left as a warning.

Lyceus turns white and faints, dropping right where he stands. Xena doubles over and loses her lunch; her consciousness departs as the world spins around her.

CUT TO:

EXT. AMPHIPOLIS – MILITIA TRAINING GROUND – LATE MORNING

Xena and Lyceus are sitting on the spectator bench set near the training yard. Lyceus finishes his tale of that day. They are side by side and he is holding her right hand in both of his. They both show signs of distress.

Xena, exclaiming

XENA

By Zeus, who is the real Gabrielle?!

Lyceus, calmly

LYCEUS

King Gabe is widely beloved by us and feared by his enemies. Only his queen is cherished more. He emulated the Romans, built roads and way stations with troop patrols. Travel is safe and fast; commerce flourishes. Taxes are low and the governors are fair. Life is good.

Xena, confused and hurt, denying the obvious

XENA

That is not the woman who showed mercy to captives or respect to the dead. This can't be my bard.

Lyceus, sharply at first, then mellowing

LYCEUS

Xena, stop this delusion. The Gabrielle you describe does not exist. Gabe is a wonderful king and he is a man. There is no record or rumor of him being anything other than that. What he does, he does for us and we hold it not against him. He serves Ares and as his Chosen he has obligations to fulfill. Look, I accept that you are not the sister I knew for the last decade. Regardless, you are her and we grew up together. It does not matter one iota what the Gods or Fates did, be humble and joyful that they gave you this gift. I love you and I want you to be happy.

Pause.

Lyceus, realizing she is still not convinced, persuasively

LYCEUS

You spoke of your other life; lost, cursed, hated, a monster bathed in blood and sin, damned for all eternity. Is it so bad to have us, to have me? One woman who was not yours, lost to you in marriage versus a lifetime of peace and love here in Amphipolis.

Xena starts crying, staring down at the ground. Lyceus squeezes her hand in support.

Lyceus, knowing he is reaching her, honestly and sincerely

LYCEUS

I would die for you and I would give anything, everything to take your pain away. I care about you and we are closer now than we were then. You took my Xena away and I forgive you because I cannot direct one negative thought your way. I am asking, no, I am begging you. Listen to me.

He kneels in front of her and takes her hands, putting them gently on her stomach. He places his next and they both feel the baby respond.

Lyceus, affectionately

LYCEUS

This is your child and your future. It is here and it is now. There is no stain on your soul and no blood on your hands. You have a husband who worships you and seven young ones who, despite being a handful, love you dearly. There is no bloody past and you were given a free slate. You told us this morning at breakfast that salvation is beyond you. Well, open your eyes and feel the life under you hand. This is your redemption. Trust me; embrace this chance.

Xena, thru the tears, joking

XENA

I see how it is; you are all conspiring against me. Are you the designated family representative, here to steer the black sheep home?

Lyceus, good-naturedly

LYCEUS

Someone had to beat the sense into you.

Xena, accepting his wisdom, lovingly

XENA

I love you, Lyceus. Thank you.

Lyceus, hugging her

LYCEUS

I love you too.

CUT TO:

INT. XENA'S HOUSE – MASTER BEDROOM – AFTERNOON

Xena sits on the bed and Chloe and Charis stand in front of her patiently, getting their hair brushed. Xena is humming a melody, something from her childhood. The twins are dressed in light sleep tunics, well-worn hand me downs from their older sisters. They reach past their ankles and look more like grain sacks on the small bodies. Sleepy yawns and heads drooping indicate to Xena that she needs to end this before they fall asleep standing up.

Xena slides to the side and stands up. She drops the brush by the basin and beckons the girls over. She inspects the hands and faces, and then takes a cloth and cleans the deficient areas. Picking each girl in turn with ease, she settles them on the bed, and then draws the covers over them. She leans over and kisses the fair heads. The twins are out as soon as their heads touch the pillow.

Xena, wistfully

XENA

The easy, untroubled rest of the innocent.

There is a knock at the door and Artemisia enters, leading her younger brother by the hand. Upon spotting his mother, the boy immediately struggles free and runs up to Xena, hugging her legs tightly. The emerging smirk dies on Artemisia's face the moment her mother's eyes lock on her in silent warning. She spins and retreats, closing the door behind her. It would not do to test mother today, the lesson her two older sisters so aptly demonstrated this morning to their detriment.

Xena shuffles to the bowl with Solan firmly attached to her leg and after prying him off with effort, she does a quick wash. Satisfied with the results, she carries him over and puts him down next to the bed. He looks at her and then at the bed, confused.

Xena, sitting down on the edge and holding his by his shoulders, encouragingly

XENA

Solan, you are a big boy.

Solan nods shyly his agreement but does not say anything.

XENA

Big boys don't get put to bed, only little girls. Are you a little girl?

Solan vigorously shakes his head no.

Xena lies down in the bed on her side, leaving room for her son.

XENA

Good. You are a big boy and big boys climb onto the bed on their own. Show mother you are a big boy, Solan.

Solan sets his chin and tries to clamber, giving it everything he has. The bed is too tall and he fails. Tears form in his eyes and he looks ready to cry. Xena watches him, her face blank; she makes no move to help him.

Realizing this time no assistance will be given and he is on his own, Solan tries again and again, stubbornly storming the bed. Sobs and sniffles are the testament to the difficulty of his struggle but he does not quit.

Xena lets it go for a while and then reaches out and grabs him by the back of his tunic. At last, with her assistance, the boy finds success and the smile of victory lights his wet face. He scoots close and cuddles up to Xena, who kisses the tears away. Happy, he falls asleep in her arms.

Xena gazes with pride at her son; her long lost son.

Xena, starting to realize what she lost and now gained, with wonder

XENA

I can watch you grow up.

Pause.

Xena, placing a hand on her belly and feeling the baby kick, tearfully yet joyfully

XENA

I can watch both of you grow up.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT TWO

 

 

 

ACT THREE

FADE IN:

INT. XENA'S HOUSE – MASTER BEDROOM – LATE EVENING

Xena stands near the bed, brushing her hair. She is wearing a long tunic and is barefoot.

Sophus enters the room and tosses his tunic, leaving him in trousers. Smiling, he comes over and they kiss, softly and sweetly. There is shyness about them, as if they are relearning the dance they already know. In a way, they are. He takes the comb out of Xena's hand, kissing the palm. Coming around, he proceeds to stroke the long, dark hair. Xena places her hands on her belly and closes her eyes, soaking the sensations.

Xena, sighing, happily

XENA

I rather think this life suits me.

Sophus, grinning

SOPHUS

Heard our town militia was crushed by a pregnant woman in her seventh month. Honey, you are the talk of the village.

Xena, cautiously

XENA

How do you feel about it?

Sophus, reminiscing, fondly

SOPHUS

You and Lyceus were inseparable and constantly practicing war. That changed after our wedding, the martial aspect. Fear not, you two are still as close as ever. I understand and accept that you chose a different path and I don't feel threatened by your weapons' expertise. It was always a part of you, even if it faded in the passing of the seasons.

Pause.

Sophus, hesitantly

SOPHUS

Promise not to laugh?

Xena, reaching back and taking his left hand, entwining their fingers in show of support

XENA

Be brave husband.

Sophus, drawing his courage, mumbling quietly

SOPHUS

Speaks you.

Pause.

Sophus, confessing, affectionately

SOPHUS

My first impression of you was one of strength and grace. The way you leaped on that horse and laughed in joy. You stole my heart that day in the barn and you knew it too. You looked at me and smiled and I was yours. Not that I did anything about it; took two years and Lyceus' intervention. I will always owe your brother for bringing my feeling to your mother's attention and her matching us. When I found out you felt the same way and it was obvious to everyone except us …

Xena gives his hand a gentle squeeze.

Sophus, continuing

SOPHUS

I love the confident you, the fighter part. I admire your prowess with weapons and in sparring. Your days of training with the militia were in the past until today and I miss them. Fortunately, you still hunt. Xena, motherhood fits you and your beauty grows each day. But the part of you that thrives on conflict and danger, that part … that dangerous part is the one I don't want to lose.

Xena releases his hand and turns around. Her eyes are sparking and she takes the comb out of Sophus' hand suddenly gone numb. It goes flying and strikes the wall, dropping to the floor. The tension in the room is palpable.

Xena, purring

XENA

You like to watch me practice and fight? You like what battle does to me, makes me feel?

Sophus, swallowing, shaken under the scrutiny of the intense eyes

SOPHUS

… Yes.

Xena, breathily

XENA

You were hiding but I saw you today.

She takes a step toward him and he involuntarily steps back. His legs bump into the bed and Xena give him a push that sends him onto the bed.

Xena, growling

XENA

You are playing with fire husband.

Sophus decides that this might be a tad more excitement that he is ready for, so he freezes in place and keeps his mouth closed.

Xena, narrowing her eyes, fiercely

XENA

I am not her and care not for her fun and games. I am Xena and this is real.

Abruptly, Sophus does something unexpected. He gets up and off the bed, standing in front of Xena. Both her eyebrows go up in silent question.

Sophus, trusting his feelings, openly

SOPHUS

I know you. We lived together for twelve wonderful years and you are her. You are my Xena and I love you. You know me, maybe not as well as you think, but you do. We trust each other.

Sophus takes her right hand in his and kisses the fingers.

SOPHUS

We belong together. I admit that I enjoy the warrior in you and cherish it on those rare occasions it appears. However, it is only a part of you. I love every part of you equally and without reservation. I love you the way you are and the way you will change in the future. Xena, I know things …

Xena, placing her fingers on his lips, warmly

XENA

Shut up and kiss me.

He does. They linger and draw closer as the kiss deepens.

Xena, breaking the contact, laughing

XENA

Well, that answers the question of where all those children came from and why Xena stopped training with the militia.

SOPHUS

Honey, if martial activities stoke your fire, I for one refuse to complain. In fact, I plan to take advantage.

Pause.

Sophus, smilingly adding

SOPHUS

And frequently did.

XENA

Smart man.

Xena turns her back to him and lifts the tunic above her head. Sophus helps her remove it, tossing it on the bed, leaving her in her underwraps. She reaches around and takes his hands. She places them on her pregnant belly. Xena guesses that he does not need to be told what to do at this point and sure enough, he hugs her closely from behind, merging their bodies. He gently begins to caress the skin on her bare and swollen belly. Xena places her hands over his and lets him guide her. The baby joins in and love connects all three.

XENA

It is possible I might be falling for you again.

Sophus, sincerely and thankfully

SOPHUS

I am blessed by the Gods to even dream of you falling in love with me twice.

XENA

I need a training partner.

SOPHUS

I volunteer.

Xena, teasing

XENA

There might be temptation.

SOPHUS

With you? Always is.

XENA

Good. Keep that burning desire alive for when I bloat some more. I might require reassurance in the weeks ahead.

SOPHUS

Xena, wife, my eyes are blinded by love. You are the most gorgeous and sexy woman this fortunate peasant has or will ever see. That I can hold you and love you makes the riches of Midas pale in comparison.

Xena, pleased, smiling

XENA

You mean it?

SOPHUS

Eight children say I do. You were the first and only one I wanted. That will not change.

Xena, shyly, slightly embarrassed

XENA

Sophus, I used to visit the stables under the slightest of excuses. Why did you think I developed such a love of horses and riding?

SOPHUS

Was it my poise and charming way with words?

Xena, laughing

XENA

You turned mute and clumsy in my presence.

Sophus, warmly

SOPHUS

The heart knew, the mind fumbled about.

XENA

Thank Gods for Lyceus and mother.

SOPHUS

How long, you think, before we figured it out on our own?

XENA

We probably be in that barn today, dancing around the issue.

Sophus, playfully

SOPHUS

We would be in the barn alright, rolling in the hay.

Xena, lightly

XENA

The most fun you can have there with your clothes on.

Pause.

XENA

Gabrielle said that the past is stone and that is an excellent advice. What matters is now. This is a good life.

SOPHUS

Merely good?

XENA

It has possibilities.

Sophus arrests the motion of his hands on her belly and starts kissing Xena's shoulder blade, working his way to her nape.

XENA

Correction, great.

SOPHUS

I won't rest till you upgrade it to perfect.

XENA

I will hold you to it.

Sophus rests his head against hers, nuzzling her hair. He resumes the caress with his hands.

SOPHUS

What we are going to call her?

Xena, pretending puzzlement

XENA

Her?

Sophus, pointedly

SOPHUS

Six daughters and one son; honey, it's a girl.

Xena turns her head and they share a brief kiss.

XENA

I feel you are right.

Sophus, guessing there is more, curious now

SOPHUS

Xena, what is the name of our daughter?

Xena, emotionally

XENA

I lost something long ago, something that I had no right to wish for again. Half a lifetime passed without it. One day, in my darkest moment, a tiny glimmer of it appeared in a clearing outside Potidaea. It took root in my forsaken soul and it grew over the past year. Today, I can look down and I see it. More, I feel it. My precious daughter is about to return that something to me, for she is more than my child. Sophus, her name speaks to what I lost and soon regain.

Pause.

Xena, joyously

XENA

Hope.

FADE OUT:

THE END

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page