Xena: Warrior Princess

 

“ The Giant Killer”

Episode 37

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

 

Xena: Warrior Princess is copyright MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures. All original content of Xena: Warrior Princess 2.0 is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog

 


 

TEASER

FADE IN:

INT. VILLAGE – INN - NOON

Xena and Gabrielle are in the typical tavern that forms the front end of the small inn. There are few VILLAGERS but most tables are occupied by MERCHANTS. On the table in front of them are large bowls filled with soup and a platter with bread. They are making good progress on the meal.

Gabrielle, between bites, making small talk

GABRIELLE

How did you know?

XENA

Old warlord trick; the merchants and traders mark the best places to eat on the road. You see them congregate, stop; your stomach is in for a treat.

Xena pats her belly and continues to fill it without pause as a VILLAGER rushes in, slamming the door open. The hurried entrance is mostly ignored by the oblivious lunch crowd and completely dismissed by deliberately unconcerned Xena; only Gabrielle gives the VILLAGER her full attention.

The VILLAGER, shouting the alarm

VILLAGER

Bandits!

Gabrielle gets up instantly and picking up the bow and quiver resting against the table, runs to the door. She halts and looks back at Xena, busy shoving soup and bread in her mouth.

Gabrielle, a hint of reproach in her voice

GABRIELLE

Hero time: warlord to defeat, justice to administer, beatings to hand out, and grateful virgins to save. You game?

Xena, pointedly

XENA

Eating lunch; trouble outside all yours, administer away, and save the comforting of last for me.

Xena, waving incredulous Gabrielle off without looking at the bard, teasing distractedly

XENA

Off you go, it's not polite to keep the bad guys waiting. Cuts into their allotted villain speech time, you know. There are rules against that sort of inconsiderate heroine behavior.

Gabrielle shakes her head and steps outside, followed by the VILLAGER who closes the door. Everyone inside resumes interrupted conversation and lunch.

Xena stops shoveling and picks up Gabrielle's bowl, pouring the entirety of its contents into hers. Done, she glares at the MERCHANTS and VILLAGERS who witness this act and they quickly avert their eyes and return to minding their own business. Xena attacks her supersized portion with gusto.

CUT TO:

EXT. VILLAGE – INN - AFTERNOON

The VILLAGERS are in a standoff against a WARLORD on a horse and half a dozen THUGS on foot. The VILLAGERS wear tunics and are armed with pitchforks, axes, and short swords that seen better days. The THUGS have leather armor and spears.

When Gabrielle walks into the middle of the square and faces the THUGS, they immediately focus on her as the biggest threat. With her blood armor and full complement of weapons she is an intimidating sight. It is clear from the THUGS' manner they are not eager for a fight with her, whispering and looking at each other for courage, which is in short supply in their ranks at the moment.

The WARLORD moves his right hand to draw a sword and a throwing knife takes him in the bicep. He jerks his arm back and screams in pain.

GABRIELLE

You face Athena's Chosen.

The villagers drop their weapons and kneel on the ground, bowing in respect.

That is all the encouragement the THUGS need, as they start backing away in a hurry. The retreat is about to turn into a sprint for the hills when the WARLORD tries to rally the troops and save face.

WARLORD, showing a flair for the theatrical, imperiously

WARLORD

 

Tremble at the sight of my giant ...

He pauses dramatically and the THUGS and VILLAGERS eagerly lean forward to hear the rest.

WARLORD

… giant.

Gabrielle, dryly

GABRIELLE

For a moment I thought you were going to conclude that sentence differently.

WARLORD, yelling

WARLORD

Gareth!

Stepping out from the tree line and lumbering towards the village is an eighteen foot GIANT. He is wearing rough homespun cloth and carrying a huge club. The GIANT makes short work of the distance and ends up just behind the THUGS.

Gabrielle unslings the bow and notches an arrow. The metal protecting the GIANT'S head is no protection at this range and with this projectile.

Seeing her draw a bead on him, the GIANT immediately adds the protection of his meaty forearm over his weak spot, blocking the shot. He looks very smug about it too.

Unflustered, Gabrielle lowers her aim and the eyes of the VILLAGERS, THUGS, and the WARLORD follow the descending arrowhead. When it achieves its desired position, they track to its new target. Every man in the village swallows audibly.

VILLAGERS, THUGS, WARLORD, extremely uncomfortable, shuddering

VILLAGERS, THUGS, WARLORD

Mother of Hera!

The giant is slow of mind but quick to react when he realizes the family jewels are on the line. He snaps his legs together tightly and covers his groin with both hands.

Gabrielle adjusts again in the blink of an eye and the steel arrowhead pierces bronze helmet and buries in the skull, killing him. The giant is dead on his feet and starts to sway, eyes gone unfocused and empty.

The THUGS look down at the shadow they are in and then look up in fear. Brains finally making the connection, the THUGS scatter in all directions, like roaches.

The WARLORD is not so lucky and the injured arm hinders his grip on the reins when the HORSE buckles and throws him to the ground; the now riderless HORSE takes off, leaving him in the dirt and short of breath. The GIANT falls forward, face first, straight down like a stricken tree. The WARLORD barely has time to cover his own with his crossed arms before the enormous bulk impacts the ground with a mighty thud and squishes him. The WARLORD does not even have time to scream.

VILLAGERS, horrified

VILLAGERS

Sweet Zeus!

The THUGS are all gone, except the unlucky one who is dragged back and deposited in front of Gabrielle. The trio of VILLAGERS who brought him back hang back a respectful distance, heads bowed.

THUG, cowering at Gabrielle's feet, pleading for his life, fawning

THUG

Anything you want to know, I will tell you. Please don't kill me, o great and merciful Chosen.

Gabrielle, helping him to his feet and holding him by the shoulders, chiding

GABRIELLE

Stop that. Why so few of you?

THUG

The giants, they … ah … they tend to eat humans, makes it hard to get new recruits.

GABRIELLE

That's terrible, no one deserves that. Wait, there is more than one?

THUG

Gareth has a brother, Goliath and they sometimes work for us. Their cave is a day to the northwest.

Gabrielle turns away, signaling the interrogation at an end.

GABRIELLE, to VILLAGERS, ordering

GABRIELLE

Lock him up.

Gabrielle walks to the inn, pausing to look at the prostrating, worshipping VILLAGERS.

Gabrielle, sighing wearily

GABRIELLE

I am not a God, get up.

CUT TO:

INT. VILLAGE – INN - AFTERNOON

Gabrielle enters the establishment and proceeds to their table. Taking a seat on the bench, she examines her bowl with a frown.

Gabrielle, exclaiming

GABRIELLE

Hey, who touched my food!

In a coordinated motion everyone inside points a finger at Xena.

Xena, muttering darkly

XENA

Ungrateful peasants, next time I go warlord …

The WAITRESS runs to the kitchen and comes back quickly with another bowl and a plate of sliced bread. She places them on the table to receive a grateful smile from Gabrielle. Gabrielle immediately pours more soup into Xena's bowl and adds the rest to hers. She portions the bread for both of them and resumes her interrupted lunch.

Xena observes this without comment, visibly brightening.

Xena, bad mood gone, smiling dazzlingly

XENA

Thanks.

Gabrielle, fondly

GABRIELLE

Growing warriors and all that; besides, you missed a few meals after Thessaly.

Xena digs into the replenished soup with relish.

XENA

Heard you slayed a giant?

Gabrielle, hint of warning in her voice

GABRIELLE

The other one is yours.

Xena, buttering up Gabrielle, warmly

XENA

That was very sweet and kind of you. Know what would be even better?

Gabrielle, immediately

GABRIELLE

No.

XENA

You don't know what I was going to ask.

Gabrielle, firmly

GABRIELLE

No. The rate you are devouring food, if I don't get you into action, Argo won't be enough to drag your enlarged self behind us.

Xena, pouting

XENA

I resent the implication.

GABRIELLE

Athena altered your leather armor. One more word Warrior Princess and you are in for painful shrinkage …

Pause.

Gabrielle, grinning

GABRIELLE

… while you are wearing it.

Xena checks her leather armor, which does appear to be wider around the waist. She twists her torso a few times and notices the snugness of the fit.

Xena, in denial, glibly

XENA

The material shrunk, is all; cheap workmanship.

No reaction from Gabrielle; the bard is not buying the excuse.

Xena, undeterred, pushing the issue

XENA

Please?

GABRIELLE

Sorry, hero code demands we split the monsters evenly.

XENA

You know, one day you will regret mentioning the hero code and I will be there to gloat.

Gabrielle, smiling

GABRIELLE

You have a date with Goliath and that is final. Wear something in leather, they go wild for it. It is like a human sandwich all wrapped to go.

XENA

You sense of humor is trending morbid lately.

GABRIELLE

At least I still have one.

XENA

True.

Xena removes the crust from a slice of bread and starts breaking pieces off and tossing them into Gabrielle's bowl.

Xena, playfully

XENA

Ah, romance. He loves me, he loves me not. He will eat me, he will eat me not.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

INT. VILLAGE – INN - AFTERNOON

Xena is demolishing several fruit pastries with relish from a large tray in front of her. Gabrielle sneaks a hand between counting out the drachmas and retrieves a survivor, munching on the sweet, flaky crust with pleasure. She sets the coins in a small pile on the table and gives Xena a reproachful look. Thinking quickly, Xena distracts the bard with another offering but it only buys her a few more seconds. Shortly, the treat is gone and the look is back, directed back at her.

Xena, forestalling the inevitable lecture, strikes first

XENA

I was wounded.

GABRIELLE

Xena, you have not earned one drachma since you joined me.

XENA

It was the other way around, my stray foundling.

GABRIELLE

Not.

Xena, thinking quickly, responding to a challenge issued

XENA

You really don't think I can make money? Watch and learn, young bard.

Xena picks up her chair and walks to the open space near the back, where the performers entertain the crowd. Silence falls as she sets it down and sits on it. She hooks her feet behind the front legs and tips the chair back. Xena is comfortably balanced on two back legs. She winks at Gabrielle.

Gabrielle approaches and gets the general idea, her mind already full of possibilities. She settles on one.

Gabrielle, hawking the match, in her best street peddler voice

GABRIELLE

Step right up! This is your chance to defeat Xena, the mightiest warlord who roamed the Greek land. Fame and fortune, folks!

Instead of stepping forward, VILLAGERS, MERCHANTS, and the INN STAFF all fall back, not eager to risk limb and life. In fact, they look ready to bolt the establishment.

Gabrielle, setting the bait, tempting

GABRIELLE

Win twenty five drachma if you force the chair to land on its front legs or tip over! Only five drachma per attempt; don't be shy.

A STRAPPING FARMER is the first to try his luck. He goes for simple and throws a punch at Xena's jaw. Xena pirouettes away to the side on one chair leg, lands on another, and continuing the motion comes down on his foot with authority. The STRAPPING FARMER screams in pain and hobbles away when freed.

A CHUNKY MERCHANT is next and he hands the money to Gabrielle. He takes a running start and dives at Xena; she catches him and starts spinning. Faster and faster they go as duck and cover routine spreads throughout the room. With everyone safely below the human projectile's flight path, the hapless CHUNKY MERCHANT goes flying and Xena comes to a stop, wobbling dizzily. Breaths are held to see if she can right herself and she does, to the sound of disappointed groans.

A handsome YOUNG FARMER is the final contestant, paying for his turn. He approaches Xena and bows.

YOUNG FARMER, politely

YOUNG FARMER

Is this seat taken, my beautiful lady?

Xena puts her boots under the front legs and lowers the chair.

Xena, patting her lap, invitingly

XENA

Come here, young thing.

The YOUNG FARMER eagerly takes his place and Xena easily leans back and resumes the act, albeit with added weight. She looks at the YOUNG FARMER with a “well, you going to do something?” expression.

He kisses her to the hollers, whistles, and cheers of the crowd but it does not have the desired effect. Xena's concentration does not break and her balance is fine. She grabs and throws him on his behind and he lands in a heap on the floor.

Seeing no more takers, Gabrielle moves to Xena and starts to hand over the winnings. Falling for it, Xena reaches out and Gabrielle snatches the coins back with a chuckle.

Gabrielle, grinning wickedly

GABRIELLE

Not so fast. First one to touch the ground loses.

Gabrielle pockets the money and brings another chair and two staffs. Xena observes her with growing sense of dread.

Gabrielle, handing Xena the weapon, daring

GABRIELLE

You can concede now and save the embarrassment later.

A growl is Xena's answer. She snatches the weapon from Gabrielle and takes her position. Gabrielle joins her.

They balance on the chairs, wood staves swinging and connecting lazily for a few seconds, trying to get accustomed to the parameters of the fight. Then the battle begins in earnest and the rapid strike of the staffs is almost continuous. The wood blurs in motion and gives no indication of which side is getting the upper hand. Yet is does not last long as Gabrielle leaps out of her chair and lands on Xena's, bringing them both crashing down. Xena, in a display of athleticism and will, stops the impact with the floor by setting her staff perpendicular to the floor and holding on for dear life. Her hands slide at first but arrest enough downward momentum to halt her in a nick of time. She hovers a scant two inches off the ground, her inhuman strength and iron grip the only thing preventing her defeat. She is holding up the chair, her own weight, and Gabrielle. Sweat beads on her brow from the effort. Then Gabrielle adds to her troubles by pressing down on her arms with the stave, inexorably pushing Xena to her defeat. The bard's muscles are too much to overcome and Xena's shoulder hits the ground. She lets go of the wood and it drops to the floor. Xena lays there exhausted.

Gabrielle, taunting

GABRIELLE

Ha, schooled.

Gabrielle stares down at Xena below her, Gabrielle's staff across her body, waiting to see what Xena will do. Xena dissolves the tension and is a gracious looser; she smiles and Gabrielle returns it in kind. Satisfied, the bard dismounts from on top of Xena nimbly. Gabrielle then helps her friend up to the clapping from the crowd.

GABRIELLE

You owe me ten drachma.

XENA

I hate you.

CUT TO:

EXT. VILLAGE – INN - AFTERNOON

Xena and Gabrielle exit the inn and stare at the sight. Numerous PLOW HORSES are tethered to the Gareth, pulling his body down the road and away from the village. He leaves behind him a long, continuous drag mark. In the wake of his passing a dusty form stirs to life and stands unsteadily on shaky legs, only to succumb to gravity and take a seat - hard. It is the WARLORD, who appears to be alive yet worse for wear.

XENA

What happened to him?

GABRIELLE

He tried to impress me with the size of his monster and I made it small.

XENA

Go bard!

GABRIELLE

Less cheerleading, more pummeling.

CUT TO:

EXT. FOREST – WARLORD'S CAMP – EVENING

Xena enters the empty camp and strides right to the middle of it. There are not tents or buildings, just a few dirty blankets strewn among the trash on the ground that mutely testify to the poverty of this group. The large fire is out, ashes and charred wood filling the circle of stones.

Xena stands in place, waiting for something to happen. She is not disappointed.

The trees shake and Goliath lumbers out of the woods, roaring his rage. He heads right for her, his weapon rising in the air above his head. The distance between them shrinks and it seems nothing will stop him from his goal. That is, until Gabrielle steps out from the tree line across from him and walks towards Xena, bow in hand. Goliath halts and drops his club; he covers his forehead with one hand and his groin with the other.

Xena, over her shoulder, innocently

XENA

Gabrielle, is there something you want to share?

Gabrielle, nonchalantly

GABRIELLE

I threatened his brother in the private place.

XENA

You have an agenda against men?

GABRIELLE

What?!

XENA

Ares and now the giants - watch where you aim sharp objects.

Gabrielle, pointedly

GABRIELLE

Ares did not get the message the first, second, and third time so drastic measures were needed. Besides, you buried a chakram in his heart and if that was not symbolic, I don't know what is.

Xena, concisely, then motioning with her thumb at the giant

XENA

True. What about Gareth?

GABRIELLE

I needed a distraction.

XENA

Sure, sure.

GABRIELLE

Heart breaker.

Gabrielle suddenly raises the bow and fires, right into the giant's right eye. He screams in pain and starts to turn, running away. Xena lets the chakram fly, cutting the rope holding Goliath's trousers up and burying it in his gut. After a few steps, the pants bunch up around his ankles and trip him, sending him headfirst into the trees. He falls, breaking the trunks under him and violently shudders a few times. Then all is still.

Suspecting a trick, Xena and Gabrielle approach slowly and cautiously. They soon discover that the giant is dead, impaled on lone, lightning charred trunk, the victim of unfortunate coincidence.

XENA

I win.

GABRIELLE

One guess where the chakram is.

Xena, grimacing

XENA

Rats. Help me get the armor off and go find a water source; it is going to get messy. Gabrielle, this part stays out of the scrolls.

Gabrielle starts removing Xena's armor, working quickly and efficiently.

GABRIELLE

I think we should check the cave next; there might be survivors, of the uncooked and uneaten kind.

Xena, grumbling

XENA

Knowing our luck, more giants await. Incidentally, there is no cooking; saves them time for their favorite activity.

GABRIELLE

Which is?

XENA

Hunting humans.

GABRIELLE

Lovely.

CUT TO:

EXT. FOREST – CAMP – NIGHT

A neat camp is set up in a small depression, sheltering Xena and Gabrielle from the wind and prying eyes. Gabrielle finishes throwing the last ingredients into the pot above the fire. Their cleaned armor is laid out in two piles near the log and Gabrielle steps and takes hers over to her bedroll. She strips to her underwraps and comes back to Xena. Xena is still sitting down and is about to start on their weapons.

Xena, looking over Gabrielle, appreciatively

XENA

For me?

GABRIELLE

Athena is on the way.

XENA

She is away for few days and off come the clothes in a greeting. If I leave you for a week, will I get lucky?

GABRIELLE

Not unless you meet someone on the way.

Xena, sulking

XENA

No fair.

Gabrielle laughs and opens her arms in a welcoming embrace. Xena jumps to her feet and immediately draws her into a hug. She lifts the bard and spins her in place, before setting her down without releasing her hold.

Athena appears in front of Xena and walks towards her.

Athena, sweetly

ATHENA

Why wench, that is my wife you are accosting.

Xena, to Athena, whispering conspiratorially, mischievously

XENA

Dear wife, between me and you, Gabrielle is an unrepentant harlot.

Xena and Gabrielle break the hug and Xena returns to her seat, starting to work on the blades. Gabrielle advances saucily on Athena and throwing her arms around her neck, she kisses her wife ardently.

Athena, softly

ATHENA

Lila's fever broke, she will be fine. I will bring her when she is better. Sorry, I did not want to leave her side.

Gabrielle, looking her in the eyes, lovingly

GABRIELLE

Thank you, my love

You came, and you did

well to come: I needed

you. You have made

love blaze up in

my breast - bless you!

Bless you as often

as the hours have been endless to me

while you were gone.

ATHENA

Missed you too, love.

They kiss. Xena tears up and pretends to have something stuck in her eye.

CUT TO:

EXT. FOREST – CAMP – NIGHT

Xena sits on a log in front of a blazing fire, her hair damp and the blanket loosely draped over her shoulders. A soup is bubbling away in a pot. She is cleaning their weapons, various blades set on rags haphazardly all around her feet. She looks up to see Gabrielle approaching with two cups and a ladle.

Xena, impishly

XENA

Wore out the wife?

GABRIELLE

Behave. Figured you could use the company. Athena is resting, she will get personal attention soon enough.

Pause.

Gabrielle, naughtily

GABRIELLE

Again.

She starts filling the cups with soup.

Xena, wryly

XENA

I heard.

Pause.

Xena, quietly

XENA

It's different now.

Gabrielle, trying to figure out what Xena is referring to, guessing

GABRIELLE

Fighting?

Xena, accepting the cup, confessing

XENA

Yes. After Thessaly the fire is not there. I used to enjoy a good battle but now there is only emptiness and sadness. I don't care to draw my sword anymore.

GABRIELLE

That's why you don't spar that much.

XENA

It feels like a chore yet it is all I know.

Gabrielle, encouragingly

GABRIELLE

Not anymore.

XENA

True.

They drink in silence, sipping the liquid, both lost in thoughts. Xena finishes and hands her cup to Gabrielle, who gets her a second helping and takes a seat right next to her.

Xena, pensively

XENA

It is not enough.

GABRIELLE

You have the heart, the will, and the skills. Nothing has changed, except up here.

Gabrielle taps the side of Xena's head and gets a questioning look in return.

GABRIELLE

You believed you were invincible and unless you decided to end it, no one had the power to make you yield. Then you almost died and now you are like the rest of us.

XENA

And that be?

Gabrielle, simply

GABRIELLE

Scared.

Xena, defensively

XENA

I am not afraid.

Gabrielle, honestly

GABRIELLE

I am terrified every time I go into combat. Everyone is, unless they are a fool or mad. You were the exception.

Xena, bitterly

XENA

You are saying I am a has-been, a broken down warrior who lost her edge.

GABRIELLE

You are what you believe.

Xena, tentatively, almost shyly

XENA

What do you see then?

One moment Gabrielle is drinking soup, the next her hand has a blade in it and it strikes out in a deadly and precise motion at Xena's throat. At this distance and with the element of surprise, it is an unstoppable and fatal attack. Yet Xena manages to lean back and catch it in time for it to do nothing more than break the skin.

Xena and Gabrielle remain still, eyes locked, positions frozen, pulse elevated, and breaths faster and shorter. Long seconds pass.

Gabrielle, sincerely

GABRIELLE

Fear becomes you.

Then Gabrielle takes her hand back and drops the knife on the rag. She stands and a hand grabs her wrist. Xena touches her neck and brings her fingers up, wet with blood. She shows it to Gabrielle.

Xena, growling

XENA

Why?

GABRIELLE

How do you feel?

Xena, examining her internal state, wonderingly

XENA

Alive and tingly.

GABRIELLE

Exactly.

Xena, grudgingly acknowledging the change inside, outwardly calm, warning

XENA

One day you will go too far.

GABRIELLE

You are a woman of action not words. Examine where the tip broke the skin, it was not a killing blow but close enough to make you think that. Now, what are you going to do with the revelation?

XENA

Do?

GABRIELLE

I rewarded your faith in me and showed you the truth.

XENA

I blocked a strike.

GABRIELLE

Know anyone else who could?

XENA

No. Well, maybe you.

GABRIELLE

Thanks. Xena, there are no limits to you except the ones you place on yourself.

Xena releases bard's wrist and Gabrielle massages it tenderly.

XENA

You humiliate me in the tavern, you call me fat, and you swing a knife at my throat. I liked you better when all you did was talk.

Gabrielle, deliberately provoking, unrepentant

GABRIELLE

How the roles have turned.

Xena, picking up her sword, determined and stern

XENA

You and me, here this minute; I think your feathers need to be trimmed.

GABRIELLE

Cluck.

Pause.

Gabrielle, getting her xiphos, pleased

GABRIELLE

The fire is back.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS – FOREST – DAWN

Xena is sitting on a log and throwing knives at a target. She raises her head and sniffs the air, then shakes her head and stands up. She goes to retrieve the knives and comes back to see Gabrielle standing by the fire. Her exposed skin and hair is covered in what can be best described as foul smelling gunk. Gabrielle opens her arms wide in greeting and open invitation. Xena wisely takes a step back and prepares to run for it if needed. Athena sleeps in the background.

Xena, amused

XENA

Hot date?

Gabrielle, scraping some goo off and flinging it at Xena

GABRIELLE

Trying not to become a food group while scouting; I am not taking chances with their sense of smell.

XENA

Speaking off …

Gabrielle, abandoning huggy time, reassuringly

GABRIELLE

Relax; the battle of the bubbles is on tap.

Xena, hopefully

XENA

Wash your back?

GABRIELLE

No.

XENA

Watch?

GABRIELLE

Tartarus no.

XENA

Fine but we both are missing out.

Pause.

Xena, changing the subject, sobering up

XENA

What's the news?

Gabrielle, sadly

GABRIELLE

No survivors but I found the rest of the family.

XENA

Huh?

Gabrielle, looking right at Xena, empathetically

GABRIELLE

Mother and two children.

Xena, missing the hint, brusquely

XENA

Surely you mean she giant and two offspring?

GABRIELLE

Children.

Xena, catching on now, oblivious on purpose

XENA

Monster spawn.

Gabrielle, strongly

GABRIELLE

Xena, this is not semantics.

XENA

No, this is about creatures that are not human and eat us. There is no middle ground; young or old, they go under the sword.

Gabrielle, pleading

GABRIELLE

Xena, please …

Xena, irritated

XENA

Gabrielle, I don't care if you express love for every lowlife from here to Sparta, we are not extending compassion to predatory species, no matter how cute, fuzzy, or like us they appear.

GABRIELLE

I kill and skin bunnies.

XENA

Wrong answer, they are prey and they taste great.

Pause.

Xena, putting her foot down, strongly

XENA

There will be no giant loving on this team. We are food to them and I draw the line on sympathy when I am on the menu. End of discussion.

Gabrielle, pushing the issue, stubbornly

GABRIELLE

The slope above has loose rock. The children play outside. You start the avalanche to injure them and draw the mother out; I end her and them if needed.

Xena, dismissively

XENA

Call the freaks whatever you want but do your job.

GABRIELLE

Xena, this is important.

XENA

I don't see the point. They are evil and we kill them.

Gabrielle fixes Xena with an inquisitive look and this time Xena is unable to hold her eyes. Before she drops them, Gabrielle reads her.

Gabrielle, insightfully, wisely

GABRIELLE

Is it because they look like us?

Xena, losing the fight and knowing it, choking out

XENA

Yes.

Gabrielle, relentless

GABRIELLE

You don't want to admit you are murdering children?

XENA

Gabrielle, don't.

GABRIELLE

That is exactly what we are doing. We are wiping out an entire family.

Xena, growing despondent, imploring

XENA

Why can't you drop this? Why can't you let it go?

Gabrielle, compassionately and earnestly

GABRIELLE

Because that is what makes us different; we know what we are doing is wrong but we are doing it anyway for the right reasons. And because I want to sleep at night I will not lie to myself and deny that fact. Take responsibility for your actions. Say it and mean it, Xena.

Xena, upset, nearly screaming the last part

XENA

We are going to murder a mother and her children in cold blood. There, you happy now?!

Gabrielle, gently

GABRIELLE

Come here.

This time Xena does not hesitate, muck or no muck. She is drawn into the strong arms and held tight.

GABRIELLE

Thank you.

Xena, admitting, tearfully

XENA

It hurts to think of them in those terms. It hurts to give them humanity.

Tears run down Xena's face and land in Gabrielle's hair.

Gabrielle, comfortingly

XENA

Shh, you did good.

Xena, kissing Gabrielle on the top of her head and mindless of its condition, warmly

XENA

Don't change Gabrielle.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – CAVE – LATE MORNING

A young BOY GIANT and a GIRL GIANT play among the rocks not far from the large entrance to the cave. They are oblivious to their surroundings and concentrate on the game. They toss something back and forth, each trying to make the other miss. Laughter fills the space.

Gabrielle, now gunk free, sneaks closer, using the boulders as cover. She notches the arrow and waits.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – CAVE – LATE MORNING

High up on the slope, Xena examines the ground. The rocks are loose and it would not take much to send the whole thing crashing down. They just need a start and a helping hand. Xena steps to the nearby boulder and puts her shoulder into it. Just before she applies force, the sound of the happy children reaches her and she halts. She takes a seat behind it and shuts her eyes, trying to control her breathing. They sound just like human children and she is finding it difficult to move, let alone focus on actually executing the plan.

Xena, trying to control her breathing and racing heart

XENA

Come on, pull it together and focus. They are giants, they are giants, they are giants and they are monsters.

The tightness in her chest is not lessening; time for desperate measures.

Xena, gritting her teeth

XENA

Gabrielle is down there and if you don't move, they will find her and kill her.

This breaks her paralysis and she stands up and pushes the boulder before her courage can flee her again. She watches the stone pick up others and race them to the bottom; towards the unaware and helpless children. She cries for them; for her own flesh and blood.

Xena, tearfully, whispering

XENA

Hope …

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – CAVE – LATE MORNING

The children don't notice or sense Gabrielle approaching them, caught up as they are in their amusement. Abruptly, there is a rumble and small rocks rain around them. The avalanche grows and at first the BOY GIANT starts running for the cave. He stops and looks back on his sister, frozen in fear. The BOY GIANT runs back to GIRL GIANT and grabs her by the hand, dragging her towards the cave. He is too late. The rock slide grows fast and half the slope comes down on them, burying them from view. Their anguished and fearful screams are cut off just as they start. Dust raises and only few rocks skitter down, rear guard of the rock wave.

An older GIANTESS rushes from the cave and looks around frantically at the rubble. She is so distraught that the only sounds coming from her are heart rendering sobs of distress. Picking a likely spot, the GIANTESS drops to her knees and starts flinging stones, desperately digging.

Gabrielle steps into view and speaks.

Gabrielle, sorrowfully

GABRIELLE

I'm sorry.

The GIANTESS' face twists in rage and she lounges at Gabrielle from her position. Given a clear target, Gabrielle does not miss. The arrow ends the GIANTESS' life and takes her loss and pain away. She falls on the bodies of her children and they are together.

CUT TO:

INT. CAVE – CHAMBER – LATE MORNING

Xena enters the cave carefully, minding the loose stone making the floor a shifting trap at the entrance. She looks questioningly at the apprehensive expression on Gabrielle's face.

Gabrielle, without preface, straightforward

GABRIELLE

There is another inside the cave.

XENA

And you let it live because …?

Gabrielle, somber

GABRIELLE

It's a baby.

Xena, staggering back as if hit, stifling a moan

XENA

No Gods, no. I can't …

Gabrielle steps up and wrapping an arm around her waist in support, she guides Xena towards the back of the cave.

Gabrielle, supportively yet firmly

GABRIELLE

Xena, we are not going to murder an infant, regardless of the sins of his parents or the possible future of human misery she will forge.

Xena, not thinking right, surprised

XENA

You don't want me to kill … her?

GABRIELLE

Do you want to?

XENA

No.

Xena, memories rushing back, avoiding Gabrielle's eyes, evasively yet sincerely

XENA

I was wrong.

Gabrielle, not fooled, easily reading Xena's reluctance, encouragingly

GABRIELLE

There is more, share.

They arrive at the back of the cave. In a crudely made oversize cradle and on the pile of skins, an INFANT GIANT sleeps restfully. She looks adorable swathed in pink cloth and sucking on her thumb, lost in dreams. Even this young, the INFANT GIANT is the size of an average man. Gabrielle lets go of Xena and approaches the cradle. Xena joins her and wraps an arm around bard's shoulders, reciprocating for earlier.

Xena, admitting painfully, trustingly

XENA

When I heard the children playing outside, I lost my nerve. Almost did not go through with it.

Gabrielle, flashing a smile, fondly

GABRIELLE

Mercy looks good on you. Plan?

XENA

We can't leave a child to die alone and forgotten. I want her to have a choice to become a monster, unlike her siblings or parents.

GABRIELLE

Village then?

Xena, with conviction, believing

XENA

She deserves a second chance. We all do.

GABRIELLE

I am proud of you.

Xena, trying to lighten the moment, ribbing

XENA

What if I said yes?

Gabrielle, turning and opening her arms

GABRIELLE

Come here.

Gabrielle gathers eager Xena into her embrace.

GABRIELLE

I had faith in you.

Xena, squeezing tight, affectionately

XENA

Remind me to test it more often.

Gabrielle, jokingly

GABRIELLE

Huggy hog.

XENA

Unabashed, don't forget unabashed.

GABRIELLE

And they wonder why I keep you.

XENA

My charm?

Gabrielle, deliberately snorting

GABRIELLE

Hah.

Xena, making a momentary sad face and then immediately cheering up

XENA

Uncalled for. Personality?

GABRIELLE

No.

XENA

Beauty?

Gabrielle makes it a point to raise her head off the chest and look into Xena's eyes as she answers.

Gabrielle, giggling

GABRIELLE

No.

XENA

Bad bard. I give up. What?

Gabrielle, serious, genuinely meaning it

GABRIELLE

You give the best hugs.

XENA

Why Gabrielle, you keep this up and I might fall in love with you.

GABRIELLE

Deal.

XENA

My bard.

Gabrielle, releasing the hug and stepping back, correcting

GABRIELLE

I am my own and wife of Athena's.

Xena, conciliatorily

XENA

Share?

Gabrielle, appearing to think it over for a while, magnanimously

GABRIELLE

Only on the road and during the day.

XENA

Done. You are a bard, you are your own, you are Athena's, and you are mine.

Xena throws an arm around her shoulder and draws her close again. Gabrielle does not resist. They stare at the INFANT GIANT for a while in silence, lost in thoughts.

Gabrielle, breaking the moment after a while, bumping Xena away with her hips

GABRIELLE

You are incorrigible.

Xena, plainly

XENA

I am me.

Pause.

XENA

Now let's find this overgrown baby a home.

CUT TO:

INT. VILLAGE – INN – EARLY MORNING

Xena enters and heads for their table. Gabrielle is already seated and the breakfast is set out; she is patiently waiting for Xena. Xena arrives at her side quickly.

Xena, beaming

XENA

They asked me to name her.

Gabrielle, matter of fact

GABRIELLE

I know.

Xena, cautiously

XENA

You don't mind?

Gabrielle, tweaking Xena

GABRIELLE

Hero code.

Xena, dramatically

XENA

Ah yes, the division of labors and spoils. I take back what I said earlier, hero code is a beautiful thing. All worship the hero code.

GABRIELLE

That is what you say now.

Pause.

GABRIELLE

Think Hope will be alright?

Xena, chagrined

XENA

That obvious?

Gabrielle nods in answer.

Xena, wholeheartedly

XENA

Thank you for not giving up, for pushing, for caring, and for loving; for everything. You and Athena, you are closer than family.

Gabrielle, tearing up, emotionally

GABRIELLE

You are worth it.

Gabrielle smiles at Xena thru the tears and Xena smiles back, finding her view blurry as well. The arrival of the SERVER with their drinks brings them back to present.

Xena takes a chair next to Gabrielle. She looks at the offerings with great interest and then looks sideways at Gabrielle with a guilty expression.

Gabrielle, grinning toothily like a shark who sensed blood, promising

GABRIELLE

Enjoy; I will make you sweat it out later.

Xena swallows involuntarily and pretends great involvement in her task of eating.

 

FADE OUT:

THE END

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page