Xena: Warrior Princess

 

“Hooves and Feathers”

Episode 41 , Part 2

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

 

Xena: Warrior Princess is copyright MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures. All original content of Xena: Warrior Princess 2.0 is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog

 


 

TEASER

FADE IN:

INT. AMAZON VILLAGE – TERREIS' HOUSE – EARLY EVENING

The sharp smell of liniment fills the room. Gabrielle finishes a fresh wrapping of Xena's ribs and moves to put away her kit. Row of stitches peeks under her bangs and a small mouse adorns her eye, both evidence of their earlier fight. She appears fine otherwise.

Xena puts on the tunic and sits down at the table. She watches Gabrielle finish packing for her trip. There is a new addition to her formidable arsenal. Gabrielle picks up a long bow that Xena had not noticed before and sets it near the door.

Xena, measuring the monstrosity with her eyes, teasing

XENA

Seriously, six foot longbow. You are compensating, shorty.

GABRIELLE

Speaks the six and a half human tower.

Xena, spreading her arms to the side, vainly

XENA

More of me to love.

GABRIELLE

Pass.

XENA

Admit it: you enjoyed my attention yesterday morning.

GABRIELLE

That was less lather and more a full body grope.

Xena, pointedly

XENA

Did anyone stop you?

GABRIELLE

No.

Xena, triumphantly

XENA

I rest my case.

Gabrielle, changing tack, innocently

GABRIELLE

Did you enjoy the show?

Xena, smugly

XENA

Yes, both of them.

GABRIELLE

I did too.

XENA

I am telling Athena.

GABRIELLE

She says: thanks for the memories.

Xena, curious

XENA

She liked it?

Gabrielle, springing the trap, calmly

GABRIELLE

You are still alive. Honestly, you were a picture of restraint and clinical approach.

Xena, indignant

XENA

Wait, I was in terror the entire time, expecting the wrath of Athena to arrive any second and you both got a kick out of it?

Gabrielle, grinning

GABRIELLE

Yes.

XENA

No fair, I want a do over where I can experience it properly.

GABRIELLE

Dream on, Warrior Princess.

Xena, pouting

XENA

I don't want to play with either of you anymore. You are no fun.

Gabrielle walks over to the bow and brings it to Xena. It is now a significantly shorter.

GABRIELLE

Bow?

Xena, scratching her head, puzzled

XENA

Why is it now half the size?

GABRIELLE

It's adjustable.

Xena, fascinated with the weapon, examining it closely

XENA

Neat.

Pause.

Xena, guessing

XENA

Gift from Artemis?

Gabrielle, sighing

GABRIELLE

Xena, she is a worse lecher than you are and that is quite an achievement.

XENA

How many times did she proposition you?

GABRIELLE

Once every sentence; twice saying goodbye.

Xena, eagerly

XENA

I need to go take notes.

GABRIELLE

Don't go in that temple unless you want to drop a child in nine months. I got grabbed more than in the worst tavern we been in and that was just the Goddess saying hello.

XENA

What happened to the sanctity of the marriage?

Gabrielle, giggling

GABRIELLE

Artemis evidently believes in blessing it frequently and with fervor.

XENA

Scary.

GABRIELLE

You are so going.

XENA

There are some places even I won't go.

GABRIELLE

And there are those where you keep trying.

XENA

One day, bard. One day.

GABRIELLE

Promises, promises.

Gabrielle shoulders the furry backpack and takes the bow back. She slings it and jumps a few times to settle things. Making a final check of the weapons, she turns to Xena.

Gabrielle, sweetly

GABRIELLE

Good luck on your initiation.

XENA

Fat lot of good you are.

GABRIELLE

When in doubt, lard.

XENA

Are you gone yet? There is that annoying buzzing about.

Gabrielle comes over to the table and smiles disarmingly. Xena can't resist and she stands up and hugs her fiercely. Gabrielle returns the emotion, but not the intensity, mindful of the rib injury.

GABRIELLE

I love you. Stay out of trouble.

XENA

Be safe, I love you too.

They break and Xena hands over the chakram; Gabrielle takes it without a word. Nothing further needs to be said and Gabrielle is to the door and gone.

Xena looks around the empty hut and her shoulders slump. A small, defeated sound escapes her lungs. She takes off her boots and tosses them. She turns and is ready to claim the bed when she notices it is already taken. Athena is snuggly embedded under the covers.

Xena, smiling

XENA

You want dinner?

The Goddess nods affirmative and Xena heads out, putting on her boots and belt first. She stops at the door and looks back.

Xena, gratefully

XENA

Thanks for staying.

A warm smile is her answer and she leaves whistling. The separation is not going to be so bad after all.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

INT. WILDERNESS – TENT – PRE DAWN

The tent is stitched from hides, thick and impervious to the light that is slowly coloring the world. In the center of the small space lies the tightly wrapped body of Terreis and next to her a figure kneels, lost to the world. Tears drop and soak into the skins below her.

Gabrielle enters like a ghost and spreads a cloak behind Melosa. Gentle arms draw the mourning Queen close and hold her there. Gabrielle cradles her Amazon mother, lending her strength.

Gabrielle, comfortingly

GABRIELLE

At night we walk at her side. In day, we will sleep with her. On her last journey, my sister will not be alone.

Melosa, unable to hold the words, tearfully

MELOSA

We allow the spirit time to say goodbye to the loved ones and the life she left behind. We believe that it walks among the living Amazons, bestows blessings on us, and achieves peace. With the last of rays, the spirit departs for judgment by Hades. Artemis offers her favored children this gift of an extra day. When the sun set yesterday, Terreis was truly gone. Her body will rest with the royal line in the valley of the Queens, where the first temple to Artemis stands.

Pause.

Melosa, sobbing

MELOSA

This is what we tell ourselves. I know better, for there is only one truth: my beloved child is gone.

The Queen buries her face in Gabrielle's chest and spills her grief and loss.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – FOREST – LATE AFTERNOON

Gabrielle is one with the woods, barely leaving a ripple in the green after her passing. Ephiny is valiantly trying to keep the speed and noise level of her passage the same as bard's but she is not successful in either, lagging well behind.

Ephiny, under her nose

EPHINY

Damn woman is a spirit.

She stops when she notices in her moment of inattention, Gabrielle disappeared. There is not a sign, sight, or sound of any living thing larger than a rabbit anywhere. Ephiny crouches behind some cover, keeping low and straining her senses.

She hears somebody move towards her, heavier and louder steps - so unlike Gabrielle - heading straight for her. She slowly slips a dagger from the sheath and prepares to strike. Then the stranger stops and a body comes flying at her. She chokes a scream and then collects herself. She looks down at an unconscious AMAZON from a rival tribe covering her. Raising her eyes in fear of what she will find, she is relieved to see Gabrielle grinning back at her.

Ephiny, confused

EPHINY

How? Who?

GABRIELLE

Heard you breathing, huntress. Found unfriendly scout, thought to keep her. Heard they make great pets.

Ephiny, releasing the nervous tension, giggling at the absurdity of the statement

EPHINY

Can I keep her?

GABRIELLE

Have you been a good Amazon?

Ephiny, solemnly

EPHINY

The best; Eponin thinks highly of me.

GABRIELLE

Doesn't she sort of have to by law?

EPHINY

You want marriage advice, it will cost you.

Ephiny checks their captive, noting the rope on hands and legs. She rolls the AMAZON away, standing with Gabrielle's help. She lifts the woman over her shoulder and starts back to the main party.

Gabrielle, mischievously

GABRIELLE

Tied her just how you like it.

EPHINY

You truly are an Amazon.

GABRIELLE

Call me Princess.

Ephiny, bantering

EPHINY

Eponin will be jealous.

GABRIELLE

She will live.

EPHINY

I won't. Friends?

GABRIELLE

Friends.

CUT TO:

EXT. VALLEY – TREE LINE – DAWN

Xena is naked and painted red. Eponin breaks from the large group of AMAZONS and joins her.

EPONIN

Ribs okay?

XENA

Mostly healed; good for now and hopefully they stay that way.

EPONIN

Not this time. Kitchens are guarded and the sentries and patrols are doubled. In the entire history of the nation Gabrielle is the first initiate to pass unharmed. It won't happen again.

XENA

I have many skills.

EPONIN

I look forward to them.

XENA

That's what they all say before the screaming starts.

Eponin, patting her shoulder, nonchalantly

EPHINY

Five minutes. See you at the healer.

Xena, fixing her with eyes of steel, intimidatingly

XENA

If I go down, I am taking you down with me.

Warrior Princess vanishes into the forest and Eponin involuntarily shivers at the words.

CUT TO:

EXT. AMAZON VILLAGE – TEMPLE – LATE MORNING

MUSCULAR AMAZONS are back, double in number. They have nets and clubs and a solid wall of them stands at the foot of temple steps. They are ready for trouble; they are not ready for Xena.

The earth starts vibrating, the low rumble growing louder with each second. MUSCULAR AMAZONS search for the source of the sound and then open their eyes wide when it is revealed. Surging thru the gate is a herd of HORSES, sending AMAZONS on the path to scatter and dive out of the way. Xena is nowhere in sight as the whole stampeding mass heads for the temple. MUSCULAR AMAZONS abandon their post and run for their lives, not eager to get trampled.

Just as they reach the temple, the column of HORSES breaks like a wave hitting a rock and splits into two streams. Xena, who was hanging on the side of the HORSE in the back of the herd, rights herself and balances on the back. With her war cry reverberating in the open space, she jumps over and lands past the line of MUSCULAR AMAZONS that are blocking the lower stairs. Quick as can be, she rushes to safety.

Steps from the door, Eponin and a living avalanche of AMAZONS roar at her from inside the temple. Xena is carried down and buried in warm flesh.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – CAMP – EARLY EVENING

Gabrielle and Ephiny are sitting close together, backs against the log as they tear into the meat in their hands. The AMAZONS are either eating or doing weapons and armor maintenance. They are in pairs, for it is rare of life mates to be apart. There is no sign of Melosa and most of the guards around the perimeter are partially hidden. Trussed up PRISONER AMAZON is lying down nearby and glaring at Gabrielle, who does not appear to care.

Ephiny, looking at the captive, excitedly

EPHINY

What was that thing you did to her?

Gabrielle, pausing her chewing and considering the answer for a second, shrugging

GABRIELLE

The pinch? Xena taught me.

They eat in silence that stretches for a while, Ephiny peaking at Gabrielle every so often as if wanting to ask something but afraid to.

Gabrielle, acting on Ephiny's indecision, reassuringly

GABRIELLE

I don't bite. Much.

Ephiny, working up the courage, carefully

EPHINY

I'm confused. You and Xena are as close as life mates yet you are joined to another. Do you have a sharing arrangement?

Gabrielle, thoughtfully

GABRIELLE

No, not exactly. We have a pact but I and Xena don't share everything; there is a line. What you speak of is the sole providence of my wife. Xena's happiness lies with another.

Ephiny, nodding, wisely

EPHINY

So, you decided who to give your heart to. However, you stay on this path and one day you will have an even harder choice: to die for Xena or live for your wife.

Gabrielle puts down the food and hangs her head.

Ephiny, concerned

EPHINY

What's wrong?

Gabrielle, looking Ephiny in the eye, honestly

GABRIELLE

I always said that Xena comes first and I believed it. More, I lived it. That might no longer be the case. I am not sure anymore.

EPHINY

What happened?

GABRIELLE

She chipped at my faith while Athena rewarded it.

Ephiny, eyes opening wide in surprise, amazed

EPHINY

Then the rumors are true, you are indeed the Chosen in the truest sense.

Gabrielle, dreamily

GABRIELLE

Yes, we are one. Athena is the sun of my life. She stokes the blaze in my body, feeds the flame burning in my heart, and illuminates my soul with her light; the Goddess of me and my true love.

EPHINY

And Xena?

Gabrielle, mood turning sour, morosely

GABRIELLE

I betrayed my daughter and now her. Gave them an oath and broke it: once for greater good, once for love.

Ephiny scoots closer and puts an arm around Gabrielle's shoulder.

EPHINY

Gabrielle, I loved Eponin since I can remember and she felt the same way. You are not wrong to put the Goddess above all. In this, you and I are the same.

Gabrielle, sniffling

GABRIELLE

Romantic fools.

EPHINY

And they love us for it.

GABRIELLE

You are a good friend.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – VALLEY OF THE QUEENS – 5 DAYS LATER/MORNING

It is a space between steep hills and cliffs, narrow in places and wider in others. This is a place of death, with no water source visible or vegetation present. Dirt and rocks are the predominant features.

Gabrielle and Melosa enter the valley with contingent of AMAZONS carrying digging tools behind them. They walk silently at the front, the warriors following them and allowing them privacy by keeping their distance.

Instinctively, Gabrielle's right hand moves to her belt and unhooks the chakram. Second later, two DEAD WALKERS, dressed in war paint and nothing else, attack the royalty with speed and recklessness that speaks of their drugged state. They seek oblivion in death and glory of the kill before they are cut down.

The chakram flies and takes the leg off the first one above the ankle. DEAD WALKER #1 screams and falls. DEAD WALKER #2 hesitates for just a fraction and Gabrielle is on her, taking her down. Furious struggle begins as Gabrielle appears to be trying to ride a raging bull, the DEAD WALKER #2 screaming and trashing with unnatural strength and the bard holding on for dear life. Fortunately, other AMAZONS jump to her help and a pile of bodies pins the DEAD WALKER #2 in place. The DEAD WALKER #2 is turned over and shoved face first into the dirt. She is then knocked out and tied very securely.

Gabrielle is already working on the DEAD WALKER #1, applying a tourniquet. Melosa approaches and removes a healing kit from Gabrielle's backpack, handing it to her.

Melosa, gratefully

MELOSA

You saved my life. No one has taken a dead walker one on one and you defeated two.

GABRIELLE

The drugs augment strength but leave the mind clear. You forget I train with Xena.

The AMAZONS spread out throughout and on the sides of the valley, searching for additional ambushes. Melosa takes a long look at Gabrielle and then walks over to join Ephiny who is standing close by, awaiting orders.

Melosa, contemplatively

MELOSA

Reflexes and abilities to envy yet no killer instinct.

Ephiny wisely keeps her council.

Melosa, reading her, impatiently

MELOSA

Speak freely.

EPHINY

I fear there you are wrong, my Queen. I see control and purpose. I pray you and I don't see the day when Gabrielle lets go.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – VALLEY OF THE QUEENS – AFTERNOON

The dirt and rocks are piled high, revealing a set of roughhewn steps that descends into the ground. There is an entrance to an underground structure of some sort at the end of the descending stairs.

Gabrielle and Melosa, both stained with dirt and sweat, are taking a water break as the other AMAZONS finish clearing the space.

Melosa, passing the waterskin, informatively

MELOSA

Queen Eunike saw the chance to kill the leaders of our tribe and took it.

Gabrielle, trying to work out how Amazons do things, questioning

GABRIELLE

Isn't the valley sacred?

MELOSA

Eunike won't risk open war but the chance to assassinate royalty and throw the tribe into chaos was there and she took it. If she succeeded, no one would object. Unfortunately for her, Amazons don't tolerate failure and with that action Eunike just turned every tribe in Thrace against her.

Melosa notices Ephiny talking with nearby SENTRIES.

Melosa, beckoning with her arm, sharply

MELOSA

Ephiny!

Ephiny is running over before her name is out completely. She halts in front of Melosa.

EPHINY

My Queen?

MELOSA

Report.

EPHINY

Valley is secure. We found a campsite but it was abandoned. Tracks show they headed back after splitting up; all three prisoners are from the same tribe.

Melosa, coldly

MELOSA

Skin them alive and hang them at the entrance to the valley as a warning.

Gabrielle, horrified

GABRIELLE

Wait!

Ephiny looks stunned and ready to run. She does not want to be in the middle of this power struggle. Melosa looks angry.

Gabrielle, thinking fast, appeasing

GABRIELLE

Do you want her head?

Melosa, ready to explode, frowns and looks lost for a second

MELOSA

What?!

Gabrielle, confidently

GABRIELLE

I will bring Eunike alive if you show mercy to the captives. Punish the mind, not the knife.

MELOSA

Ephiny, leave us!

Ephiny is more than happy to put some distance between herself and the Queen. She watches out of hearing distance, ready to serve as soon as the situation is settled.

Melosa, harshly

MELOSA

Don't question my orders openly, Princess.

Gabrielle, not backing down

GABRIELLE

I offered you another option, mother. I am your advisor.

MELOSA

What do you want?

GABRIELLE

I read the scrolls with Amazon laws and customs you brought along. I reserve the right to judge and punish the captives. Eunike is yours.

Melosa, mollified, confirming

MELOSA

You will deliver her to me, breathing and in good health?

Gabrielle, respectfully

GABRIELLE

Yes, my Queen.

MELOSA

And if I refuse?

Gabrielle, promising, strongly

GABRIELLE

You won't be Queen.

Melosa, chuckling, pleased with the boldness and fire

MELOSA

Gabrielle, you are a remarkable and principled woman. I order you to arrest Eunike for the crimes against our tribe and deliver her to my judgment.

GABRIELLE

Your will, my Queen.

Melosa, without looking, calling loudly

MELOSA

Ephiny!

Ephiny is there in seconds, awaiting orders.

MELOSA

Gabrielle is going to bring us their Queen and you are going with her.

The crestfallen expression on Ephiny's face speaks volumes of what she thinks of that plan.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

EXT. VALLEY OF THE QUEENS – CAMP - 1 WEEK LATER/MORNING

Having been announced, Gabrielle and Ephiny walk into the encampment to shouts and war cries. Between them, bound and gagged walks Eunike, with her head held high. She is trying to maintain dignity and royal bearing, ropes tying her notwithstanding. She is led to Melosa who awaits her in a semicircle of AMAZONS.

Without preamble, Melosa punches her and she goes down. Melosa lifts Eunike's head by the hair and sneers at her.

MELOSA

Don't disappoint Artemis and die too soon, Eunike. Show everyone how an Amazon Queen dies.

Melosa, to surrounding AMAZONS, ordering harshly

MELOSA

String her up.

Two poles are set in the ground at the entrance to the valley and the AMAZONS drag the rival Queen to them and remove her clothes and gag. She is tied spread eagled to them and an AMAZON with a sharp hunting knife approaches her. Melosa and numerous other AMAZONS form a circle and watch the execution of Queen Eunike.

Her part done, Gabrielle quickly turns and hurries away. Without hesitation, Ephiny joins her and walks next to her.

Ephiny, shuddering, disturbed

EPHINY

It is not right for a warrior to die like that.

Gabrielle, correcting, sadly

GABRIELLE

It is not right for a human being to die like that.

Ephiny, apologetically

EPHINY

I'm sorry; our ways are new to you. There is much good and you learn to accept the occasional bad. Our lives are ruled by tradition and in observing and following it we honor our ancestors and our Goddess, Artemis.

Gabrielle, firm and determined

GABRIELLE

Then it is time for tradition to change. Let's visit the prisoners.

The first cheer chases after them; the flaying has begun. Gabrielle turns pale but keeps her step. Ephiny discretely moves closer, ready to help if required.

CUT TO:

EXT. AMAZON VILLAGE – FENCED IN YARD - MORNING

Xena and Athena are sparring in the privacy of small walled compound. It was a perk of Terreis' position and now passed onto Princess Gabrielle. Xena is wearing her full armor and the Goddess is resplendent in her golden one.

Suddenly, Athena goes pallid and staggers back, her sword arm dropping without warning and leaving her defenseless. Xena drops her weapon and rushes to her side. She guides and supports the Goddess to the nearby bench and hands her a waterskin.

With shaky hands Athena opens the container and swallows a few gulps. She draws herself together and smiles reassuringly at Xena, who is sits next to her.

Athena, shaken

ATHENA

Gabrielle and Melosa were attacked in the Valley of the Queens. The person behind it was brought in and they are torturing her now.

Xena allows Athena to express her thoughts without interruption and at her own pace.

Athena, hurting, sorrowfully

ATHENA

She feels guilt for the woman and pain for her life mate. There is hopelessness at hearing the screams and being unable to help Eunike. My heart is alone.

Xena stands up and then kneels in front of the Goddess. She embraces Athena and hugs her closely, providing comfort. Athena returns the gesture in kind and draws strength from her friend. Unbidden tears fall on Xena's dark hair.

Athena, eyes unfocused, mind far away, affectionately and tearfully

ATHENA

I have you, love. Be strong.

CUT TO:

EXT. VALLEY OF THE QUEENS – CAMP - MORNING

Gabrielle hugs herself and a smile breaks out on her face, chasing the shadows away. Ephiny, who can hear the cheers growing in frequency, is not sure what to make of this new development so she keeps even with Gabrielle, shooting curious glances at the bard who appears to be somewhere else. They cross the camp in that fashion until they arrive at the group of AMAZONS guarding the captives.

The DEAD WALKERS are huddled together, the one with amputated foot cradled in the arms of the other one. From their cuddling and easy intimacy it is obvious they are life mates. The SCOUT lies alone, bruises and scratches covering her body, some fresher than others; she was beaten and recently.

Gabrielle comes out of her waking dream and without breaking a step strides to the SCOUT. Dagger comes out and cuts the ropes and then the SCOUT is lifted to her feet like she weighed nothing.

Gabrielle, the tone meaning business, not asking, demanding

GABRIELLE

Who touched her?

Three AMAZONS step forward hesitantly, their eyes fixed on the ground. Without a word the bard goes in motion. Fingers fly out and find the necks in succession. The AMAZONS drop to their knees, bodies grown weak and consciousness fading fast.

GABRIELLE

One day I will be Queen. Remember that.

Nods from the kneeling AMAZONS and the remainder drop to one knee in deference.

Gabrielle gives time for the words to sink in and then releases the pinch. She has asserted her authority and the claim to the throne. There is now respect and fear in the faces around her. Even Ephiny is on her knee, pledging her allegiance.

Gabrielle, to AMAZONS and EPHINY, curtly

GABRIELLE

Rise.

Gabrielle, to SCOUT, pointing to the source of the cheers in the distance

GABRIELLE

You are free to go. Tell your tribe I went into their village in broad daylight and took away their Queen. Tell them they can pick her pieces here.

Gabrielle, grabbing her by the front of the tunic and bringing her face to face, growling

GABRIELLE

Tell them I can always come back.

SCOUT, terrified, chokes out

SCOUT

What are you?

Releasing her, Gabrielle turns towards the DEAD WALKERS. The SCOUT stands still for a second and then takes off, running as if her life depended on it. No one stops her.

Gabrielle approaches the DEAD WALKERS and couches near their heads. They huddle together, resigned to their fate.

Gabrielle, calmly

GABRIELLE

What are your names?

DEAD WALKER #2, scared

DEAD WALKER #2

I'm Charis and my life mate is Agathe.

Gabrielle, deliberating vocally

GABRIELLE

You can't go back and you can't stay like this.

Charis and Agathe close their eyes against their sentence. The end comes for them at last.

Agathe, croaking, pleading

AGATHE

Please, have mercy; give us quick death.

Gabrielle leans in and cuts their restraints, blade magically appearing in her hands.

Gabrielle, pronouncing

GABRIELLE

You will swear an oath of loyalty to our Queen and become part of our tribe.

Two sets of eyes spring open and focus on her. Hope surfaces in their depths.

Gabrielle, loudly

GABRIELLE

Don't thank me yet. Ten full lashes each in front of Artemis' temple for assault on royalty when we return.

Gabrielle stands up.

Gabrielle, to AMAZONS, fixing them with gaze in turn, strongly

GABRIELLE

Clean them and feed them properly, they are now our sisters. Keep them under watch until they pledge their life to our Queen.

AMAZONS, with great respect

AMAZONS

Yes, my Princess.

Gabrielle motions Ephiny over and they head out.

CUT TO:

EXT. VALLEY OF THE QUEENS – CAMP - MORNING

Gabrielle and Ephiny have left the prisoners behind them and are heading for the cooking fires.

Gabrielle, glibly

GABRIELLE

Did you enjoy the show? I thought your kneeling was an inspired touch.

Ephiny, sarcastically

EPHINY

Psycho Amazon Princess was an act?

Gabrielle, lightly chiding

GABRIELLE

Ephiny, you know me by now. Was that me back there?

EPHINY

No …

Pause.

Ephiny, teasing

EPHINY

Gabrielle, you are a bad Princess. Bad, bad, bad.

Gabrielle, playfully

GABRIELLE

I am so bad I am good.

EPHINY

Okay, now you went and done it. I am telling Athena and Xena everything.

Gabrielle, challenging, narrowing her eyes

GABRIELLE

You would not dare. Would you?

Ephiny runs for it but her escape is short lived. In few steps Gabrielle is on her and they go tumbling into the grass. Gabrielle goes to work with relish to ensure Ephiny fully and completely understands the meaning of the words “keeping confidence” and the superiority of the bard. Startled and dumbfounded AMAZONS watch the ensuing wrestling match with confusion and alarm. However, no one interferes. The cheers from the flaying in the background give the scene an odd, unreal feel.

CUT TO:

EXT. AMAZON VILLAGE – OUTSIDE PRACTICE RANGE - AFTERNOON

Xena and Eponin are shooting arrows at straw targets. They are outside the walls, not far from stables. The range is crowded, part for practice, part to watch Xena and place friendly bets on the outcome. Both woman have full quivers and begin the next round. They shoot as they converse.

Xena, behind in points, huffily

XENA

Amazons, bunch of degenerate gamblers.

Eponin, placing an arrow dead center, proudly

EPONIN

You are one of us. A true Amazon bets on anything and everything; makes life interesting. I won a dagger, a jug of wine, and one guard shift off after your aborted temple entry. I and Ephiny are going to get drunk and wild when she comes back.

Pause.

Eponin, pondering

EPONIN

Wonder what is taking so long.

Xena, matching Eponin's effort hit for hit, mysteriously

XENA

Gabrielle effect.

Eponin, concentrating on the target and after releasing, considering the phrase, lost

EPONIN

Gabrielle … what?!

Xena, muddling the water further, messing with Eponin

XENA

Gabrielle went fishing in another tribe and caught herself a Queen. Don't ask; I don't understand the whole thing either. Athena was not clear.

Eponin, guessing, impressed

EPONIN

That be the rumored wife?

XENA

Yes and it stays with you.

Eponin, waiting until Xena takes aim, gets a shot in, pouncing

EPONIN

Quite a catch; our Princess is an accomplished fisherwoman. You took the bait?

Xena loses her concentration and misses the bull's-eye by fair amount.

Eponin, smirking

EPONIN

That's a yes.

Xena, waiting for her opportunity and finding it shortly, sweetly

XENA

Ephiny won't know what hit her.

Eponin misses the target completely.

Eponin, protesting

EPONIN

Now that is fighting dirty.

Xena, triumphantly

XENA

Ha, hanged by your own rope.

Eponin, mock offended

EPONIN

Anyone tell you you're an ass?

XENA

Gabrielle and Athena imply it frequently but they love me so it's good.

EPONIN

Add me to the list.

Xena, meaning it, warmly

XENA

You are added under friend.

Eponin, pleased

EPONIN

Consider it mutual.

Xena, breaching the topic of interest, feigning indifference

XENA

Say friend, what is with the preparations?

EPONIN

War, what else? With the Princess leading the nation, Greece will burn.

Eponin looks around and lowers her bow. She leans close to Xena.

Eponin, in low voice, conspiratorially

EPONIN

I doubt there are any secrets or clothes between you two so hear my advice. The council of elders plans to annihilate the nearest Centaur settlement as a test of Gabrielle's dedication to the nation. Her leadership and fighting skills are not in question; her soft heart is. Man or Centaur, young or old, male or female, they all die. If you love her, you will make sure she does not leave a single soul untouched by Death.

Xena, unwittingly raising the volume and getting curious glances in return, shocked

XENA

You want her to become like me?! Reveling in massacre and drunk on bloodlust?!

EPONIN

Who better?

Xena, bitterly

XENA

Yes, who better.

They return to the competition but Xena is simply going thru the motions. Pensive expression clouds Xena's face and Eponin leaves her alone to her thoughts.

CUT TO:

INT. AMAZON VILLAGE – TERREIS' HOUSE - 5 DAYS LATER/NIGHT

The door is pushed open with a leg and then the rest of Xena enters, carrying Gabrielle over her shoulder and the backpack in her hand. She shuts the door in the same manner.

Gabrielle, laughing

GABRIELLE

Put me down, you unrepentant warlord.

XENA

Sorry, this warrior is under strict orders from Athena: pick up wife and hand carry to the tub.

Xena goes to the table and places the backpack on it; she carefully sets Gabrielle down. There is a knock at the door.

Xena, to Gabrielle, firmly

XENA

Stay.

Amused eyes follow her to the door, where an AMAZON hands Xena Gabrielle's bow and quiver and departs quickly. Xena sets them by the wall and returns to the bard. She removes the armor and all weapons efficiently, setting them in a pile on the floor.

Gabrielle takes off the rest of the outfit, leaving her in her underwraps. Xena scoops her up and carries her to the bathroom.

There is a yelp and a splash. Xena walks out with a satisfied look on her face.

Athena, spitting water and sputtering

ATHENA VOICE-OVER

Xena!

Xena, over her shoulder, impishly

XENA

You did not say I could not drop her.

In answer, a soaked sponge comes hurtling at her head and she ducks. It hits the wall with a wet sound and plops on the floor.

Xena closes the door behind her and goes to spread her bedroll near the front door. She brings over the equipment and settling down, faces away from the rest of the room. Whistling, Xena cleans as Gabrielle and Athena's voices and laughter drift from the bathroom.

Xena, content

XENA

Home at last.

CUT TO:

INT. AMAZON VILLAGE – TERREIS' HOUSE – LATE MORNING

Xena is lying across the foot of the bed, idly juggling scrolls which cover the rest of it in random pattern. Gabrielle is at the table overflowing with more of them.

XENA

When is the war council?

Gabrielle, distracted

GABRIELLE

Three hours.

Xena, pestering

XENA

Find anything?

As she speaks, Xena throws a scroll at Gabrielle's head and the bard bats it away without looking. Steady barrage of parchment missiles begins.

Gabrielle, deflecting another projectile, irritated

GABRIELLE

What are you doing?

XENA

Bored.

Pause.

Xena, unable to help herself, throwing it in there

XENA

Gabrielle, you either do it or do the Queen. In, I mean.

Having heard Gabrielle's silent plea, the Goddess of war materializes in the room.

Gabrielle, beaming, sweetly

GABRIELLE

Athena, love, take care of the Xena.

XENA

Yes, do.

ATHENA

What's in it for me?

GABRIELLE

It's a surprise.

Athena, enthusiastically

ATHENA

I love surprises. Is my surprise wearing anything?

Gabrielle, seductively

GABRIELLE

Your sheer tunic and not a stitch more.

Athena grabs Xena and practically drags her outside in her haste as Gabrielle giggles. She shakes her head and returns to the scrolls.

CUT TO:

INT. AMAZON VILLAGE – TERREIS' HOUSE – LATE MORNING

Xena and Athena end up outside. The Warrior Princess easily frees herself from the captive hold.

Xena, protesting but secretly glad to be out and about doing things, pretend pouting

XENA

Hey, I'm a fragile flower.

Athena, scoffing

ATHENA

As if. What do you say we spar?

XENA

Have mercy on me, woman! Twice in one morning; save some for Gabrielle.

ATHENA

Xena, behave.

XENA

You really want that surprise, don't you?

ATHENA

Who wouldn't?

XENA

True.

Pause.

Xena, saucily

XENA

Take my breath away, Goddess.

ATHENA

You are incorrigible.

XENA

I'm me.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT TWO

 

 

 

ACT THREE

FADE IN:

INT. AMAZON VILLAGE – COUNCIL HALL – AFTERNOON

At the rear of the room sit the ELDER AMAZONS in front of the table. The line of benches is broken in the middle by a throne, occupied by Queen Melosa. In front, broken in two sections with a path down the middle are the seating sections. Benches line the massive room and are packed with AMAZONS. More AMAZONS line the walls. Windows are thrown wide open but it is stuffy inside and not helping matters is the armor everyone is wearing. The AMAZONS are sweaty and uncomfortable but being warriors, they manage.

Melosa, ordering loudly

MELOSA

Summon the Princess.

The doors open and necks turn to better observe the arrival. Gabrielle enters, escorted by Xena and Ephiny. They stop and wait at the entrance as Gabrielle proceeds alone. Whispers and hushed talk greet the bard on her approach to the throne.

Gabrielle is wearing her blood armor and full assortment of weapons, everything shined to high polish. She captures the attention and commands the room with her presence. Gabrielle stops before the long table and makes it a point to fix each ELDER AMAZON with a stare and even spares one for Melosa. The tension in the room is visible.

The SENIOR ELDER AMAZON stands up and hush falls over the hall. Into the stillness she speaks.

SENIOR ELDER AMAZON

Princess Gabrielle of Thrace Amazons, you are hereby named the tribe's War Leader. In five days, an army of fifteen hundred warriors will march on your command and burn the nearest Centaur town to the ground. To the glory of Artemis!

Hundreds of throats return the call, shaking the building.

AMAZONS

To the glory of Artemis!

SENIOR ELDER AMAZON raises her arms and signals for silence.

SENIOR ELDER AMAZON

When the tribes convene an Amazon nation war council in a month, you will begin the purification of Centaur lands. Soon, Greece will fall before the might of daughters of Artemis. Princess Gabrielle, don your mask and carve your destiny.

Another ELDER AMAZON reaches behind her and lifts the object wrapped in cloth. The ELDER AMAZON reverently reveals an ancient, wooden mask, before setting the relic down in front of her. It is plain, unmarked except for symbol of crescent moon painted with faded, dried blood.

Gabrielle steps up to the table and picks up the mask. She turns and raises it high above her head. AMAZONS explode from the benches and everyone is screaming their head off in blind fervor sweeping the assembly. The AMAZONS want war, need war, and now they can taste it.

In the back, Xena closes her eyes and appears to be praying. Ephiny reaches out and touches her arm in support.

Abruptly, Gabrielle brings down the mask with force and breaks it on her knee. As suddenly was the fever has descended, it leaves even faster. Rage and anger replaces it, burns in the eyes, and courses in the veins. The AMAZONS reach for weapons and quite a few draw them. Shouts rings out.

AMAZONS, yelling

AMAZONS

Treason!

Sacrilege!

Death to the traitor!

At the center of this storm of hate Gabrielle stands tall, not afraid, confident and proud. And she throws one word into the teeth of their fury and shatters their resolve and courage, blowing away the storm.

Gabrielle, projecting power, delivering the word with the full force of her personality and position

GABRIELLE

No.

She tosses the pieces of the mask in her hand to the ground and they hit with a dull thunk in the void of sound she created.

In the back, Xena and Ephiny look at each other and then back to the front. They are not sure what just happened. Staring openly, Xena drinks in the bard's presence.

Gabrielle, to the AMAZONS, in bardic voice

GABRIELLE

You don't know war. The Amazons train, skirmish, and dream of conquest, not knowing the horrible truth - you are all fools.

The AMAZONS still don't know what hit them and now her voice has them enthralled.

GABRIELLE

You don't know war. I was like you, eager and impatient, ready to fight the good fight. Then came Tracus and that Gabrielle woke up. The city became a giant funeral pyre and it was only the first. Troy was next and the death toll dwarfed what came before. Yet nothing compared to the living Tartarus that was Thermopylae. The Greek survivors of that tragedy will never be the same. There was only Death, in every breath, taste, and touch, soaking thru your pores until you too became the living embodiment of it. Many survivors went insane and the rest are scarred for life.

Gabrielle steps forward, all eyes on her.

GABRIELLE

You don't know war. Your life mates will die by the thousands, families broken, marriages shattered, and orphans grieving. When one dies, the other follows. That is the Amazon way. Who will be left? What will be left? I fell at the pass and I clawed back thru the bodies that covered me until I saw the light. I kept my mind when lesser men lost theirs. I lived and I am telling you: you don't want this.

Gabrielle, sweeping her gaze across the rows of benches, finding rapt interest

GABRIELLE

You don't know war. I learned healing at the hand of Praxiteles, my adopted father. From young age I witnessed the evil that men do to each other; touched the bloody harvest with my hands. I delivered new life as a midwife and lost those close to my heart. Praxiteles died and he was only the first. I lost another father, Xena's own, to hatred. I watched men given a second chance throw it away. And I looked into men's souls and saw the black that consumes my own.

Gabrielle turns to face the ELDER AMAZONS and Queen Melosa.

GABRIELLE

You don't know war. I am a killer and a savior, a monster and an angel. I am Gabrielle and I know war. The Amazons are staying home.

Gabrielle lets the words sink in.

Gabrielle, pinning Melosa with her eyes, coldly

GABRIELLE

And if you challenge me mother, I will drag you to Hades with my own two stained hands.

The bard turns and leaves, the steps deafening in the silent room. She walks past Xena and Ephiny without acknowledging them and they follow her out.

CUT TO:

EXT. AMAZON VILLAGE – COUNCIL HALL – AFTERNOON

Gabrielle strides out of building and stops a short distance out. She looks up, towards the blue sky and stands there, staring blankly into space.

Xena and Ephiny exit, then stop and look at each other again. Ephiny smiles sheepishly and gives her a “go ahead” gesture. She remains standing by the door as Xena approaches Gabrielle.

Xena sinks to her knees behind Gabrielle and bows her head. Salty raindrops hit the parched ground.

Xena, stricken with guilt, profoundly remorseful

XENA

Morpheus was right, I extinguished your light. I'm so very, very sorry. I rather have died in Amphipolis than hurt you.

Gabrielle stands there for long seconds and then turns and embraces Xena. She seems at peace.

Gabrielle, leaning forward and kissing Xena's head, serenely

GABRIELLE

I made my choices and I am at peace. I found love in Athena and in you. Inside, I am still the young woman who left Potidaea. None of those will change and neither will I.

Pause.

Gabrielle, affectionately

GABRIELLE

We are light Xena, now and forever. Athena has my life, you have my eternity.

Xena, tearfully

XENA

Thank you for your faith and your gift. I love you Gabrielle.

They hold the hug, Xena's cheek resting on the breastplate, content to remain in contact.

Xena, breaking the moment, asking the inevitable

XENA

You gave Queen Melosa a choice; you always give them a choice. What if …?

GABRIELLE

The greater good will demand her sacrifice and I will end her.

XENA

She can step down.

GABRIELLE

She won't.

Xena, knowing it is a lost cause but trying anyway, reasonably

XENA

If you don't kill her, the Amazons will; only one walks away from a challenge.

GABRIELLE

You know I can't do that.

Xena, pleading

XENA

Why couldn't you be different?

Gabrielle, framing Xena's head with her hands, raising it to lock their eyes, sincerely

GABRIELLE

It is in a hero to do and die. It is not in a hero to ask why.

Xena takes Gabrielle's right hand and brings it to her lips, without breaking eye contact.

Xena, kissing bard's hand, devotedly

XENA

Don't change.

Ephiny, wiping a tear, whispering

EPHINY

Oh Gabrielle, you see the truth yet you are blind to it.

Ephiny walks back into the council hall.

CUT TO:

INT. AMAZON VILLAGE – TERREIS' HOUSE – LATE AFTERNOON

Gabrielle sits alone on the floor, more meditating than doing maintenance on her already highly polished gear. It is quiet and peaceful in this part of the village, away from the hustle and bustle of the common areas and the plaza in front of the temple.

There is a knock on the door and then it opens. Ephiny pushes it ways in and sticks her head inside, looking at Gabrielle for confirmation. Gabrielle nods her invitation.

Ephiny enters, not bothering to close the door, signaling that this will be a brief visit. She walks towards the Princess and confirms her allegiance to the new power in the tribe by kneeling.

EPHINY

Queen Melosa has accepted your challenge; tomorrow at dawn, unarmed combat, no armor, no rules.

Pause.

Ephiny, her emotions showing, beseeching earnestly

EPHINY

She is a good woman and a fair ruler. Please make it fast and painless.

Before Gabrielle can say anything, Ephiny gets up and bolts out of the hut.

CUT TO:

EXT. AMAZON VILLAGE – TEMPLE – DAWN

Xena and Gabrielle are standing alone. Xena is in full armor and armed, Gabrielle is wearing nothing save her underwraps. Her muscular body shines with olive oil.

Cheer goes up as Melosa emerges from the temple, wearing nothing apart from war paint. The meaning is clear; she is wearing the colors of a death walker. The Queen's wish, long denied, has come true.

Gabrielle, groaning

GABRIELLE

Great, she is high on the Goddess juice and naked. Plan?

XENA

Kick her in the groin and don't pull short; go thru it.

GABRIELLE

That works on women?

Xena, practically

XENA

She is a suicidal demigoddess on drugs; you fight her normally and she will tear you apart. Target what her lack of unmentionables revealed, including her nipples.

Gabrielle, crossing the arms across her chest in unconscious protection, cringing

GABRIELLE

That just feels so wrong.

XENA

Yes, no woman will ever go near you.

GABRIELLE

Except you.

Xena, smirking

XENA

I am fearless. Also, I plan to tie your legs.

Gabrielle, sternly

GABRIELLE

Xena, remember the line.

XENA

I crossed it?

GABRIELLE

One sentence ago.

Pause.

Gabrielle, glancing at Melosa, melancholically

GABRIELLE

Another life for greater good, another stone around my neck, another face to torment my conscience - I choose.

Gabrielle walks towards Melosa and Xena can only watch helplessly, frozen in place. Few tears run down her face as she stands there. Watching her best friend about to send another soul to Charon, she forms fists and digs her nails into the skin, breaking it. Then Ephiny and Eponin are next to her and each take a hand. She relaxes and they entwine their fingers, the trio of them standing and holding hands, unmindful of the blood that stains them.

Ephiny, by way of explanation, supportively

EPHINY

Gabrielle told us you need a friend.

Xena, eyes misting, softly

XENA

Always thinking of others.

Ephiny, whispering

EPHINY

Always thinking of you.

Xena, being preoccupied with the fight, does not hear Ephiny's last words.

CUT TO:

EXT. AMAZON VILLAGE – TEMPLE – EARLY MORNING

The circle of AMAZONS forms and closes. Inside Gabrielle and Melosa circle each other wearily. Gabrielle throws the first punch and the duel begins. They feel each other out, neither committing, testing reflexes and defenses. When it comes so early in the opening of the fight, it catches everyone by surprise and especially Melosa.

Gabrielle kicks her hard in the groin and Melosa's world explodes in white pain. She goes down and curls up, screaming the agony soundlessly. Gabrielle is on her in a flash; her arms close around the Queen's neck and with a crunch break it. It is over before it really begins.

No one reacts as Gabrielle moves to the ELDER AMAZON and takes the Queen's mask. She raises it and puts it on. Only then do the AMAZONS come awake and drop on their knee, bowing to their new Queen.

Satisfied with the pledge of loyalty, Gabrielle immediately heads for Xena, the crowd parting for her; AMAZONS scoot out of the way. When she arrives, Ephiny and Eponin release Xena; all three kneel before the bard.

Gabrielle, to Ephiny, authoritatively

GABRIELLE

You are my regent. Send a word to Centaurs: the Amazons want a peace treaty. Have them send a delegation to this village.

EPHINY

My Queen.

Gabrielle, to Eponin

GABRIELLE

You are promoted to Commander of Queen's Guard.

Gabrielle, not waiting for Eponin's acknowledgement, to Xena

GABRIELLE

Walk with me.

She steps away and Xena rises and follows.

Ephiny, standing up and yelling loudly, starting a chant

EPHINY

Queen Gabrielle! Queen Gabrielle! Queen Gabrielle!

The AMAZONS leap to their feet and scream in return.

AMAZONS

Queen Gabrielle! Queen Gabrielle! Queen Gabrielle!

Gabrielle stops and turns, looking over the AMAZONS. Her Amazons.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT THREE

 

 

 

ACT FOUR

FADE IN:

INT. AMAZON VILLAGE – TERREIS' HOUSE – LATE AFTERNOON

Athena is sitting on the edge of the bed and between her spread legs, on the floor, sits Gabrielle. Athena's hair is already done and she is returning the favor. A hairbrush rests on the blankets. The women are in their tunics.

The Goddess is braiding Gabrielle's hair as the bard lightly runs her fingertips up and down Athena's leg, stroking and caressing without thought or conscious reason, more a connection she keeps unknowingly. The silence is comfortable.

Athena, breaking it, cautiously

ATHENA

I had a talk with Artemis.

GABRIELLE

Oh?

ATHENA

Mhm. The price is our family.

GABRIELLE

You are calm about it. Does she claim our firstborn, as we feared?

ATHENA

Yes, she does. She wants Lila.

Gabrielle, exclaiming

GABRIELLE

Lila?!

Athena, her tone full of implication, importing the hidden meaning

ATHENA

Amazon Princess, future Queen.

GABRIELLE

Not the life she wanted.

Athena, gently

ATHENA

Love, you took Artemis' Queen and her conquest. Our daughter, you acting as her Chosen without question, and several markers from me was her demand. We knew there was a price to pay and I tried, I really tried but for naught.

GABRIELLE

I know and I love you for it. Does Lila know? Do others?

ATHENA

Yes, Cyrene and Hecuba send their love and accept our decision.

Pause.

Athena, wistfully

ATHENA

She had plans to find a nice young man, to feel the same love we share, to marry, to have a large family, to take care of her grandmothers, and to run the inn. I and she spent many a time lost in dreams of her future. So many hopes and wishes expressed and yearned for; so much trust. Then I sent you here and destroyed everything. I broke your heart, I broke mine, and I broke hers. I'm truly sorry, love.

Gabrielle reaches up and takes Athena's right hand. She kisses the palm and places it over her heart and covers it with her hands.

GABRIELLE

Do you feel what you do to me? You merely cover my heart and it trashes faster in its cage, trying to fly into your hand. It trusts you like I trust you and it is drawn to you as irresistibly as I am.

Athena leans over and puts her other hand on top of Gabrielle's. She kisses the blonde head tenderly.

Athena, shaken, trembling

ATHENA

What do I say to that? What can I say to that?

In answer, Gabrielle stands up and unbuckles her belt, tossing it. The tunic and trousers follow, leaving the bard in her underwraps.

Gabrielle turns and steps forward, her arms cradling Athena's face.

GABRIELLE

Shh, no words wife. Show me.

Gabrielle tilts Athena's face up as she brings her own down and with eyes wide open, she claims Goddess' lips and her soul.

CUT TO:

INT. AMAZON VILLAGE – QUEEN'S RESIDENCE – 4 DAYS LATER/MORNING

Gabrielle sits at a table, working on paperwork. She senses the arrival and smiles, getting up and moving from behind the table.

Shortly, Athena and Lila pop in, the former holding a bundle of belongings. Gabrielle gives the Goddess a quick kiss and hugs her daughter warmly. Athena tosses the items on the bed and embraces them both; she takes her leave soon after but not before whispering something into Gabrielle's ear that earns her a pat on the behind. The Goddess vanishes, leaving her fading laughter behind.

Lila parts from Gabrielle and examines the room with trepidation.

Lila, breaking the ice, jokingly

LILA

I always dreamed of being a Princess and it came true, just not like I expected. Not much hope of there being a Prince now, is there?

GABRIELLE

First things first, my marriage minded daughter. Besides, Athena managed a concession from Artemis. There is a Centaur town few days away. Your beloved can reside there and raise your sons. Be advised, he cannot set foot in Amazon land and it breaks with tradition. Expect retribution and enemies if you take that path.

LILA

I am no warrior.

GABRIELLE

You will be initiated into the tribe and trained in the ways of the Amazon. Ephiny and Eponin are your guardians and they are loyal friends. We leave when the negotiations with Centaurs are done.

LILA

Will you visit?

GABRIELLE

One of us will be here.

LILA

So this is my life now?

GABRIELLE

The Amazons were going to burn Amphipolis and Potidaea to the ground and start on the rest of Greece after that. I offered them a different road.

Lila, unable to hold her tongue, sarcastically

LILA

Sure mother, sacrifice me to the greater good; won't be the first time.

GABRIELLE

You are my daughter and one day you will lead these women. Remember, you are a Princess, not a Queen. The first is given, the other earned. Lila, we make our own fate.

Lila, stubbornly

LILA

You didn't answer my question.

Gabrielle, harsher than she intended, getting in Lila's face and frightening her

GABRIELLE

I kidnapped and brought a woman to her execution and ordered a whipping of two more. I poured the herbs when Queen Melosa's daughter died and I was there as Melosa took her last breath at my hands. Don't lecture me about greater good, child!

Lila, realizing she pushed too far, tearfully

LILA

I … I did not know. Oh Gods, please forgive me ma.

Gabrielle, hugging Lila, stroking the hair soothingly, patiently

GABRIELLE

Yours is the largest tribe in Thrace, nearly three thousand women and girls spread across villages. You will lead them in peace and war, in prosperity and famine, in good times and when disaster strikes. They are your people now. Lila honey, it is time to grow up.

Lila, showing maturity

LILA

What will happen to me? The whole truth, I deserve it.

GABRIELLE

Artemis can't control me and has little influence on me; you are hers. You will receive an education, weapons and leadership training, and you will be bonded to a life mate. You will be molded into a proper, future Queen. So they think but they forget one thing.

Lila, hopefully

LILA

What?

Gabrielle, proudly

GABRIELLE

You are my daughter.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – AMAZON FOREST – FEW DAYS LATER/DAWN

Xena is watching Gabrielle walk ahead of her and she follows, leading Argo. Gabrielle is wearing her usual outfit, down to blood armor and full complement of weapons. One thing missing is her trousers. Xena's attention is not on the woods; it is on the bard and directed low.

Gabrielle, skipping along and twirling the staff, satisfactorily

GABRIELLE

Negotiations done, peace treaty signed, Amazons diverted from war, and I and my daughter are royalty. A good month I would say. Xena?

Gabrielle stops, turns, and follows Xena's eyes south.

Xena, confirming, brazenly

XENA

Show off those beautiful and muscular legs; strut your Elysian stuff.

Gabrielle, grinning

GABRIELLE

How many of your dreams start that way?

XENA

Half of them.

GABRIELLE

I bet.

Pause.

GABRIELLE

Xena, is that your thing?

Xena, with conviction, seriously

XENA

You are my thing. What's yours?

Gabrielle, somewhat shyly, revealing

GABRIELLE

… I am partial to the top.

XENA

In that case I am cutting cleavage into my armor.

GABRIELLE

Isn't that dangerous? They are not made of stern stuff.

Xena, daringly

XENA

You won't know that unless you test them. Want to?

GABRIELLE

In this particular area I will trust your judgment.

Xena, pouting

XENA

You didn't before.

Gabrielle, meaningfully

GABRIELLE

Have to start sometime.

Gabrielle picks this instance to walk away from Xena, deliberately swaying her hips, stopping some distance away.

Xena stands there, frozen to the spot, speechless. Gabrielle's laughter brings her back and she shakes her head and catches up. They start walking alongside each other.

Xena, having regained her vocal cords, playfully

XENA

You know, this calls for ceremonial burning of trousers.

GABRIELLE

What if the weather turns?

XENA

I will think of something.

GABRIELLE

I think you are thinking now.

XENA

True.

Pause.

XENA

There are other Amazons customs we should adopt.

Gabrielle, intrigued to see where this is going

GABRIELLE

Yes?

XENA

I am leaning towards friendship link.

GABRIELLE

I love you Xena but if we were tied together for extended time one of us would murder the other one. If Athena didn't do it first.

XENA

Hmm, there is that. Pity.

CUT TO:

INT. AMAZON VILLAGE – QUEEN'S RESIDENCE – MORNING

Lila sits on the chair, nervously wrangling her hands. Her peasant clothes are gone, along with her former life. She is wearing plain, brown leather armor with a skirt and she shifts uncomfortably in the unfamiliar outfit.

There is a knock on the door and Ephiny enters, opening it and stepping into the space. There is someone behind her, obscured by sunlight and viewing angle.

Ephiny, officially

EPHINY

Princess, Artemis has spoken to the head priestess and requested that a recent arrival be placed with you. You will be officially introduced to the tribe as friends at a ceremony this evening. Because of your ages and experience, this will be your initiation as Amazons. Your mothers, being complete outsiders, took the harder route. Also, they already are life mates.

LILA

What is expected of me?

EPHINY

The rope that joins you stays for a year. Get caught without it day or night and you both will be whipped.

Lila, trying to be brave and not cry, in tiny voice

LILA

I understand.

Ephiny, seeing the state the girl is in, sympathetically

EPHINY

It is awkward at first but after a few days Eponin and I had fun with it. We run thru the village seeing how many people we could trip. We lengthened it to ridiculous amount and drove our instructors crazy with our antics. We tied various noisemakers to it and dragged them behind us. We were bad.

LILA

Amazons are allowed to have fun?

Ephiny, winking

EPHINY

You are young and royalty. Live it up; you will get away with lots of things.

Lila, her spirits buoyed, remembering what her ma told her about allies

LILA

I like you.

EPHINY

Good. Ready to meet your mate? I am told she knows your mothers.

LILA

… Sure.

Ephiny walks to the door and beckons the waiting figure inside.

Teresia enters the room, her meager belongings in one hand.

Teresia, shyly

TERESIA

I'm Teresia.

FADE OUT:

THE END

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page