Xena: Warrior Princess

 

“ Intimate Stranger”

Episode 44

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

 

Xena: Warrior Princess is copyright MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures. All original content of Xena: Warrior Princess 2.0 is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog

 


 

TEASER

FADE IN:

INT. ISLE OF BARACCHUS – KEEP'S GREAT HALL – EARLY EVENING

The wall of wooden debris circling the great hall is deliberate and Callisto proves it. She kicks the unstable construction and it comes crashing down, blocking the exit behind her. For good measure, Callisto drops her torch on the obstruction and walks towards Xena as flames erupt in the dry wood. Xena appears to be in shock.

Callisto, crying, sadly

CALLISTO

Remember the cabin in the woods? Remember what you did to my wife? Remember the ashes you left me again?

Callisto, screaming tearfully, more pain than anger in her voice

CALLISTO

You cut out my child, bitch!

Xena unhooks her chakram as emotion slowly drains from her expression and eyes.

Callisto, accusing

CALLISTO

Poor, defenseless infant; reminds me of another innocent. Remember Cirra? How many does that make?

Pause.

Callisto, switching tactics, taunting Xena with the question she wants the most

CALLISTO

What's under the sheet, Callisto?

Callisto is unarmed, hitting Xena with words. Her answer comes in the swift throw of the chakram, right at her neck. Xena expects a decapitation or a dodge; she gets another shock. Callisto catches the deadly weapon, despite the power behind the action and makes it look easy.

Callisto, playing with the chakram, carrying on as if nothing happened

CALLISTO

Did the baby cry when you ripped it from its mother? Did you break its neck or smother it? Did you make Gabrielle watch? Did you enjoy it?

Callisto hooks the chakram onto her belt and pats it in obvious insult and Xena draws a sword.

CALLISTO

What's under the sheet, Callisto?

Xena closes the distance and they come together in a clash of steel. Callisto disengages shortly, unable to match Xena's raw strength behind the strikes. She circles Xena wearily and Xena tracks her movement but does not attack.

Callisto, laughing

CALLISTO

Oh, Xena you crazy thing. Why do we keep running into each other? You burn my family, then you try to kill me, then you burn my family again, and then another attempted murder. People are starting to think you are obsessed with me.

Pause.

CALLISTO

What's under the sheet, Callisto?

Xena backs up and Callisto stalks her. It nearly proves her undoing. While Callisto advances with her guard up, ready to defend, the attack comes in an unexpected way.

Xena enters the area around the bed, strewn with burning oil lamps and red roses. Making it look effortless, she picks the lamp with her blade and kicks it. It breaks on impact, dousing Callisto with oil. More clay missiles follow and few hit Callisto before she backflips out of danger. Unfortunately for her, the fire has spread and now surrounds the great hall in a ring of fire. Temperature is rising and burning embers and sparks are multiplying at an alarming rate.

Callisto, picking up where she left off when Xena catches up to her, happy

CALLISTO

I think you want me to return your love. No, you need to. You get me the best gifts, you shower me with attention, and what do I get you? Cyrene? Toris? Argo? Hmm, who to butcher first?

Pause.

CALLISTO

What's under the sheet Callisto?

Xena has regained her balance and she attacks smartly, measuring her strength. They exchange, parrying and blocking, as Xena begins to relentlessly drive Callisto towards the inferno. While a master swordswoman, Callisto is not Gabrielle: she can't match her in evasion, speed, or finesse. Against Xena you need to get out of the way and counter and Callisto' style is not built for that. She, like Xena, is a brawler.

Predictably, Callisto's armor starts smoking oily and she has to take a chance lest she burn alive. Feinting, she dives the other way and Xena's sword is there to exact a toll. A gash on the left arm starts the bloodletting.

Abruptly Callisto turns and takes off. She runs up to one of the wooden pillars and breaks it with a flying sidekick. She takes aim at the second one and Xena moves to intercept. Callisto avoids Xena and catches the round beam in passing. She swings horizontally, driving both boots into Xena's chest when she kicks out and staggering Xena back. Callisto adds a few rotations to build her speed up as Xena recovers and then she lets go and flies like a human missile at Xena, feet first. Xena impacts a column with her back and crashes to the floor. She looks hurt and is slow to get up.

Callisto takes advantage and starts going after the other supports. She gets three more before Xena gets up and picking up her sword, hobbles after Callisto. Obliging, Callisto engages, confident that the injury evened the odds. Xena, visibly in pain, clenches her teeth and they dance.

Now Callisto is the faster one, pressing the action and Xena the one defending by necessity. They weave around the remaining columns, ignoring the fire, blades intent on harm. Callisto marks Xena bloody on her arm and leg and Xena gets a piece of Callisto's neck.

The damage is too extensive for the structure and it slowly begins to die. Xena and Callisto, intent as they are on killing each other, ignore the signs. Only when a part of the ceiling comes down, bringing more fuel to the fire and rocks raining down, do they awaken to the danger; in Callisto's case – opportunity.

Callisto, keenly intent on making this a grave for three - her, Xena, and the body on the bed – charges another post. She catches it, spins, builds momentum, and does her human cannonball impression again. This time Xena is ready.

Incredibly, bad back notwithstanding, Xena catches Callisto in midair as Xena's blade hits the ground, dropped. She immediately adjusts the hold on Callisto and overhead presses her.

Xena, grimly

XENA

Let's play Xena says.

Xena brings Callisto down on her knee and breaks her back. Undaunted, this being a fight to the death, Callisto unhooks the chakram and slices Xena's side. The leather armor is no match for Hephaestus' steel and Xena drops her and scrambles back to avoid further injury. Clutching her bleeding side gives Xena a reason to forget the murder that is her lower back.

Callisto, with her legs useless, begins to crawl towards Xena, who gets up in a hurry. Both women look like Tartarus and feel like it.

Xena, kicking Callisto hard in the ribs, spitting out

XENA

Xena says: down bitch.

Callisto immediately drops to the floor and sprawls there, recovering.

XENA

Xena says: stay.

Xena goes back to retrieve her sword and chokes back a scream when she bends to pick it up. Hefting it, she closes on Callisto who, unable to move, begins a throwing motion. Xena is faster. Closing lightning-fast, she cuts off Callisto left hand and then pries the chakram from the dead fingers, breaking them. She tosses the hand back to its owner.

Xena, harshly

XENA

Xena says: don't play with her toys.

Xena sheaths her sword and goes to one of the broken beams. Lifting it with a grunt, she charges one of the side doors. It buckles slightly but does not give. Encouraged, Xena smashes the impromptu battering ram again and again until she wins and the path to freedom opens. She throws away the heavy support and returns to Callisto. Her reward it a dagger to the chest.

Xena easily catches and tosses the weapon aside. Callisto has found some cloth and covered the stump. Out of weapons, she lies there, making no move to escape or attack, hysterically laughing her head off.

To the soundtrack of Callisto mad laughter, Xena methodically destroys the supports until the whole great hall is seconds from collapse.

Xena, pronouncing a sentence on Callisto, gravely

XENA

Xena says: die.

The creaking grows louder and the place starts shaking. Xena swiftly vacates the room, leaving Callisto to her fate. She makes it to the door and thru it as the remaining ceiling drops into the flames and the only sounds after that are the flames feasting.

CUT TO:

INT. ISLE OF BARACCHUS – KEEP'S GREAT HALL – EVENING

Morpheus appears in the room and the fire parts around him. With a wave of hand he parts the stone, wood, and debris. Broken, battered body of Callisto lies on the floor; such is her will that she is still alive, barely breathing. He moves right up to her and crouches, picking up Callisto's discarded hand. Morpheus then grabs a handful of blonde hair and lifts her head to face him.

Callisto, suffering, begging pitifully

CALLISTO

Let … me … die …

Morpheus, smiling as he pats Callisto on the head with her own hand

MORPHEUS

There, there, that's the spirit.

He attaches the missing hand to the arm and the injuries vanish; Callisto's body is restored to normal.

Morpheus, enjoying himself immensely, cheerfully

MORPHEUS

Oh, but the dreams we will share, precious Callisto.

Callisto screams.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

EXT. ISLE OF BARACCHUS – KEEP'S GREAT HALL – NIGHT

Xena stumbles outside, wearing her underwraps. Her tunic has been recruited for bandages and it covers her numerous wounds. Her weapons are bundled in the leather armor she carries. Slowly, she begins to make her way out of the keep.

Ares appears, cradling a BODY completely wrapped in a bloody, white sheet.

Ares, apologetically

ARES

I did not know …

Xena looks at him without a word, silently accusing him.

Ares, trying again, unable to meet Xena's judging eyes, ashamed

ARES

I did not think …

XENA

How could you?

Ares, weakly

ARES

Callisto brings out the worst in you. Once he saw you destroy Callisto, witnessed what you really are, he would give up his pining. And if she won …

Pause.

Ares, admitting quietly

ARES

… I did not want that.

The calm unsettles Ares more than raw anger ever could. Like warlord Xena, he refuses to face or acknowledge the consequence of his actions. That would make him human and fallible. He is a God and by definition perfect. Problem is: Ares does not feel that way. His doubts and the discomfort are growing with each passing second.

Xena, using that maddening, even tone of voice

XENA

You hand him over to that madwoman and expect rationality?

Ares wishes Xena would scream or hit him, anything but this lack of emotion. If he is dead to her, he has lost everything.

Ares, defeated

ARES

I can transport you, Argo, and … him.

Ares gets his wish.

Xena, her voice cutting Ares to the bone, strongly

XENA

Say his name.

Ares, hanging his head even lower, trying to disappear without actually vanishing

ARES

… Sophus.

Xena, eyes burning into Ares, commanding

XENA

Look at me. I said look!

Ares, head jerking up and eyes snapping to her, opens his mouth but unable to speak

ARES

….

There are no excuses, not to what Ares sees in Xena's eyes.

Xena, slowly and with emphasis, words dropping like heavy stones

XENA

Who is responsible for Sophus' death? Who killed my husband?

Long second pass in silent, mutual stare. Xena can't help Ares anymore; she took him as far as she could. The rest is up to him.

The wait grows longer and the wind picks up, howling thru the carcass of the keep. Xena and Ares are locked in a showdown; she is free, he is not. Nothing traps us like the truth, mortal and God alike.

After interminable amount of time, Ares reaches a decision. Strangely, the voice that comes out of his mouth is his but it's not him speaking.

Ares, hollow, guiltily

ARES

I am. I did.

Xena, simply

XENA

Lend me your shoulder to camp. And don't dare set Sophus down.

Xena puts an arm around Ares and leans heavily on him; they leave together. The God of War shoulders his twin burden and supports Xena stoically and without protest. Ares is numb.

CUT TO:

EXT. ISLE OF BARACCHUS – CAMP – NIGHT

Xena sits, propped against a tree trunk. A blanket had been placed behind her back to sooth the bite of the bark. Fresh, proper bandages dress her wounds. She remains in her underwraps, dirt, dried sweat, and dry blood coating the flesh. Next to her is her healer's kit, closed and ready to be put away.

Argo is not in her usual spot. She is next to Xena, looking for all intents and purposes as if she is either standing guard or being a friend. Probably both.

Argo nuzzles Xena's hair and snorts, sending it flying. Xena smiles and whispers to Argo as she dispenses pats and scratches.

Times passes in amiable companionship until both the woman and the horse turn their heads in choreographed motion at the approach of Ares. The God of War has a bowl of water in his hands and a piece of linen. He kneels on the side opposite Argo; she does not appear of mind to leave.

Ares then dips the linen and looks at Xena, who nods approval. Slowly and gently, he begins cleaning her, starting with her face. Argo watches protectively.

Ares, uncertain of the reception, throwing it out there, uncomfortable

ARES

… I visited Hades.

XENA

…

Ares, getting it out quickly, rushing words

ARES

Sophus was judged for Elysian Fields. He was given memories of your time together in another life and awaits you.

Xena's right hand shoots out and catches Ares' in a grip of steel. Her eyes demand an answer.

Ares, explaining hastily, nervous

ARES

You have seven days to say goodbye. I will stay here.

Xena, releasing his hand, genuinely surprised

XENA

You would send me into the arms of another man?

Ares, shaking his hand to restore feeling and blood flow, woodenly

ARES

He is your husband.

Pause.

Ares, trying to hide his pain, softly

ARES

Yes.

Xena nods understanding and sympathy and then looks away, lost in thought. Ares resumes the hand bath; a touch unsteady in his motion but not from anything Xena has done. Rather, what it cost him to offer her this.

CUT TO:

EXT. ELYSIAN FIELDS – XENA & SOPHUS' HOME - DAYLIGHT

Xena appears in a field of grass and flowers. The sun is shining and the air is warm. There is a feeling of peace. Ahead of her is her house in Amphipolis, just the way she remembers it. There is nothing else around and wherever she looks, the distance seems to dissolve into a hazy emptiness.

The front door opens and Sophus steps out. They stare at each other - Xena apprehensive, Sophus uncertain. Taking the initiative, Xena begins to move towards him, seeing the husband she left behind. This spurs Sophus into action and he reconciles the memories he was gifted by giving into them. They fly into each other arms and hug, their feet toe to toe. Tearful yet joyful reunion ensues.

Pulling back their heads, still in embrace, they grow awkward again. Xena again leads, leaning forward and he copies. Their foreheads touch and they pause, locked in gaze.

Sophus, dazed

SOPHUS

Are we married or is it a dream?

XENA

Do I feel real?

Sophus, contently

SOPHUS

You feel good.

Xena finds his mouth and they kiss. It is familiar and slow, a leisurely hello after an absence. It is as if no time has passed for Xena away from the Sophus in the other life.

Xena, pulling back, smiling

XENA

And now?

Sophus, wonder coloring his tone

SOPHUS

There is my life apart from you, waiting and hoping for your return. And then there is this dream where we are married and prodigiously blessed by Hera. I reconciled; I know and believe, nay I am drunk with joy at this development, but there is this tiny, nagging seed of doubt. I believe that I am happy …

Xena stops his musings with another kiss, this one passionate. She signals her desire by threading her right hand thru the hair on the back of his neck and pressing closer. To drive home her need, Xena alters her stance, pushing her leg between his, putting both their centers into contact with a partner's thigh.

Sophus, slow in getting the message, rambling as he reconciles the memories

SOPHUS

Am I me? The shy boy who lost his tongue, the inexperienced stableman who gave away his heart, the young man who loved and waited in faith, or the foolish man who hoped. Am I your husband? The father to your children, the confident lover, the … what are doing?

Xena, going for direct, releases the hug. She grabs a handful of Sophus' tunic in each hand and rips it down the front. She swallows his protest with hungry kiss as her hands stroke his bare chest.

Sophus, flushed

SOPHUS

You have grown impulsive.

Xena, impatient

XENA

You talk too much and we have little time.

SOPHUS

One week?

Xena, growling

XENA

Exactly.

Done being subtle, Xena picks Sophus up and throws him over her shoulder.

Sophus, laughing

SOPHUS

Xena!

Xena, heading inside by kicking the door open, wickedly

XENA

I am going to have my way with you and you will like it, husband!

Sophus, going with it, affecting meek

SOPHUS

Yes dear.

CUT TO:

EXT. ELYSIAN FIELDS – XENA & SOPHUS' HOME - NIGHTIME

Xena lies on top of Sophus, dressed in lightweight, plain tunic. Sophus, wearing only trousers, rests on his back, his joined hands pillowing his head. Xena supports her chin on her right forearm, which in turn sits flat on Sophus' chest. Her right hand roams his upper body, neck and face, lightly caressing and tracing. It is almost as if she is trying to unconsciously memorize his features by touch. While her fingers are busy moving, Xena's eyes study Sophus' face; his are closed but he is not sleeping.

Sophus, suggestively

SOPHUS

That surpassed the memories. And an entire day.

Xena, kissing Sophus' chest, giggling

XENA

It was long in coming.

Sophus, barely holding it in, seriously

SOPHUS

Definitely.

Then he can keep a straight face no longer and bursts into laughter.

Sophus, one arm going to cover his eyes, groaning

SOPHUS

Long …. coming …. Xena, you are horrible.

Xena buries her face in his chest and judging by the shaking of her shoulders, she is in throes of same. Sophus does not help things by tickling her sides. In mock retaliation, Xena blows a raspberry on his skin. The ensuing merriment brings tears to both their eyes and they exhaust themselves in giving to it.

Laughed out, Xena shifts. She places a few small kisses and then rests her cheek on Sophus' heart. Her hands find familiar places to hold her husband close and his reach and gently rub her back. It's about comfort and connection.

Sophus, lovingly

SOPHUS

You, in my arms, fitting perfectly; you, in my heart, always. I love you.

Xena, returning the sentiment, capping it with a kiss on his chest

XENA

You, in my dreams, real; you, in my loss, found. I love you too.

Times passes in sharing the emotions expressed.

Sophus, dreamily

SOPHUS

We had a daughter?

XENA

Try seven.

SOPHUS

Hope.

Xena, lighting up, smiling

XENA

She is beautiful, yours and mine. Gabrielle recorded the memories and she lives on. I carry copies.

Pause.

XENA

I hand Gabrielle the scroll and close my eyes; she spins the tale and I am there, with our daughter.

Sophus, hesitating

SOPHUS

… God Ares offered to take me to you. Was it … true?

Xena, placing another kiss, sincerely

XENA

Gabrielle knows me so well it scares me sometimes. She secretly inquired and your whereabouts and feelings were discovered, by enemy and friend alike. Rest, well …

Pause.

Xena, openly and honestly

XENA

Sophus, when you returned to Amphipolis this time, I would be waiting for you.

Sophus pulls Xena up and she scoots up his body until her face is above his.

Sophus, joyfully

SOPHUS

Don't you see? It has come to pass, promised wife.

They kiss and he rolls them, ending on top of her.

Xena, reaching up to frame his face, surrendering to him again, affectionately

XENA

Take me and make me yours, given husband. Until I trust we won't be apart again.

And he does, starting with the claim of her lips.

CUT TO:

EXT. DREAMSCAPE – MORPHEUS' PALACE – LIGHT

Arrogant, Morpheus sprawls on the rebuilt throne, in his open, airy palace. His superiority does not last long.

The twelve Olympians, led by Zeus, appear. The others are Aphrodite, Apollo, Ares, Artemis, Athena, Demeter, Dionysus, Hephaestus, Hera, Hermes, and Poseidon. The Gods and Goddesses are all dressed in their finest and wield accoutrements of office. They are joined by Gabrielle, standing next to her wife, resplendent in her blood armor and highly polished gear. Athena has her arm around the bard in a show of support and unity and they are at the center of the group, behind Zeus. The message could not be clearer.

Zeus, addressing the still, terrified figure, grandly

ZEUS

Suffer Morpheus, your throne the sacrificial altar and eternity the earned penance. Ages will pass, Gods will come and go, and here you will stay, unmoved and unchanging yet alive. Watching. Impotent.

Zeus, the very air vibrating with the power of his curse, voice booming in the stillness

ZEUS

I take away your brides and leave you alone. I take away your presence and leave you forgotten. I take away your dreams and leave you empty. I take away your hope and leave you in despair. I take away everything and leave you in the void.

Morpheus sits on his throne, wide-open eyes frozen in a scream. He will sit there till the end of time.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

EXT. ELYSIAN FIELDS – XENA & SOPHUS' HOME – NIGHTIME

It is the twilight of dawn and Xena and Sophus' time together is nearly up. They stand in front of their house, home for the last week. Their eyes and minds are not on the quickly drawing parting; not until the last possible moment.

With the rapidly diffusing light heralding the truth, facing each other, the lovers bow to the inevitable. Rather, Xena does; Sophus remains a rock. And with his wife he shares the truth she does not see.

Sophus, taking Xena's right hand, firmly

SOPHUS

This is not a goodbye.

Xena, sliding into depression, morosely

XENA

Tartarus claims me, for I am damned. Worse, I am taking Gabrielle with me. This …

Pause.

Xena, pointing at the terrain around her with her other hand, tearfully

XENA

… This is not to be. She showed me love; you showed me Elysium. I count the time in the other life and here as the happiest of my wretched existence, rivaled only by the bard. Think of me, dear husband. I will; often and always.

Sophus embraces Xena close, wrapping her in his love. He brings their lips together and they join, reaffirming their bond. When one is weak, the other is a rock; when one doubts, the other stands tall. For better and worse are not empty words. In this life they were not joined yet they are. Xena accepts the labels of wife and husband. Now comes the rest.

Sophus, lending Xena his strength and conviction, strongly and with utter faith

SOPHUS

Walk with the Gods, beloved wife. Believe in Gabrielle, the other half of your soul. I have faith in your redemption, I have faith in us, and I have faith in your eventual salvation. You and Gabrielle belong here and here you will rest in eternity.

Sophus pours all his love into one kiss. They break on the birth of a new day.

Sophus, with utter faith

SOPHUS

This is not a goodbye.

Xena swims in Sophus' eyes, searching intently. She finds what she is looking for.

Xena, believing, affectionately

XENA

It's a promise then, beloved.

Xena seals her oath with a kiss as she slowly fades.

CUT TO:

EXT. ISLE OF BARACCHUS – CAMP – NIGHT

Xena comes to in her bedroll and opens her eyes. First at the stars and then Argo, who trots into view and whuffles. Xena reaches up and pets her, whispering endearments. Reassured, Argo returns to her spot - close by yet not too close.

Xena stretches to creaks and pops and stiffly sits up. She looks down at herself and the blankets pooling on her lap. Her eyes meet Ares' and hold them, reprimanding.

Ares, gruffly, slightly offended

ARES

I dressed you in a fresh tunic and made you comfortable. I did not take advantage of you.

Xena acknowledges with a curt nod.

Ares, standing up and moving to Xena, handing her a waterskin as peace offering

ARES

I will take you to them when you are ready.

Xena drains a good amount then examines him. Ares shrinks under her scrutiny.

XENA

How did you know?

Ares, sighing

ARES

Morpheus. The Gods perceive things in mortals but not their undirected thoughts or memories. Faith is the source of our power and the mortals are free to choose their deity. The catch is that the divine beings can court them. How then? The God of Dreams doesn't either, normally. However, you visited his realm and you and Gabrielle are an open book.

Pause.

ARES

Zeus visited the Fates in the Centaur incident with Chiron and again on behalf of Sophus. There is a balance and order to consider and maintain.

Xena, prioritizing, practically

XENA

How do we get and keep him out?

Ares, haunted

ARES

Morpheus ... is done.

XENA

Humor me.

Ares, shuddering

ARES

Zeus took away his dreams; all of them, leaving nothing. You and Gabrielle are safe.

Xena, gratefully

XENA

Thank you.

Xena starts to stand up and Ares offers a hand, only to hastily withdraw it when the glare hits him.

Ares, backing up, raising his hands up, worried over her rejection of any help

ARES

One word of warning: the Elysian Fields suppress the bad and elevate the good. The effect wears off and your loss - there remote - will return here. It is a reward for life well lived and a reason for one way policy.

Pause.

Ares, genuine in his regret

ARES

No one is meant to experience that and return. It will hurt more for it. I am sorry.

Xena, building her walls again, dismissively

XENA

I pay the price willingly. The week with Sophus was a gift and I accept it in that spirit.

Ares, unable to avoid it any longer, pointing at the body, shakily

ARES

You?

Xena, tersely

XENA

Yes.

Xena walks over to the bloody sheet covering her husband.

Xena, picking up Sophus with utmost care, somberly

XENA

Take us home.

Pause.

XENA

Take me to Gabrielle.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS - CAMP – DAWN

Xena rests by the fire, in Athena's close embrace. Athena dozes, her back against a large tree trunk. Xena is huddled to her bosom and a blanket covers them both. Xena is lost in troubled sleep and her twitching increases. Woken by the signs of distress, Athena tightens her hold and rocks Xena slightly. It helps and she settles down.

Gabrielle appears like a ghost but does not startle Athena, aware of her approach all along.

Gabrielle, tired

GABRIELLE

Morning, love. Sophus' body is prepared and the herbs should be wearing off. How is she?

Athena examines the temporarily peaceful face on her chest and kisses Xena's head; her friend taken care of, the Goddess looks up at her wife. There is a smile and affection for Gabrielle in her eyes and voiced worry for the woman in her arms.

Athena, motherly

ATHENA

Restless. I am surprised she took it willingly.

GABRIELLE

She trusts me and it was a light dose. You okay?

Athena, test stretch of the spine resulting in a wince and a hiss, ruefully

ATHENA

After half the night sandwiched between overgrown Warrior Princess and an unyielding tree, my back has officially quit.

Gabrielle in on her knees by the Goddess' side in a flash, resting her forehead against Athena' head. Her right hand finds room between the bark and tunic and her expert fingers start the assessment and soothing of angry nerves. Athena practically purrs at the bard's touch, discomfort forgotten.

Gabrielle, cooing

GABRIELLE

Poor baby. Let me take Xena to the clearing and do a patrol. You prep the salve and I will meet you in the bedroll. I'm exhausted: between the reunion and the burial rituals, I got little left.

ATHENA

I can heal.

Gabrielle, insistently and firmly yet with a softness that takes the edge off

GABRIELLE

Don't; I want to take care of you. Please?

ATHENA

Only if you let me do the all the chores and provide when we wake up. For however long the need.

Gabrielle, deciding

GABRIELLE

We will stay here for a week.

Athena, lightening the mood, joking

ATHENA

I will be the best camp wench ever; your skimpily clad camp wench.

Gabrielle nuzzles Athena's hair, searching for her prize. Finding and uncovering it, she barely grazes Athena's ear with her wet lips for a few seconds. Stopping, she slowly exhales on the ear. Athena gasps.

Gabrielle, pleased with reaction but not showing it, innocently

GABRIELLE

Oh? How skimpily?

ATHENA

You pick.

GABRIELLE

Your list of chores just doubled.

Chuckling, Gabrielle and Athena kiss and then the bard gently shakes Xena awake.

Xena, groggy and disoriented, offers no resistance. She obediently takes to her feet when prompted. Gabrielle puts an arm around Xena's waist and guides her into the forest.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS - STREAM – EARLY MORNING

In a small clearing beside a large brook lies Sophus. The body is clean and wrapped in linen. The cuts on his face are excellently sutured and disguised to a degree. Lots of love and care went into this labor.

Xena enters the space in a daze but quickly regains her faculties. She lets Gabrielle settle her down and only then does she look at the body directly, only to look away.

Gabrielle goes to the stream and comes back with a bowl of clear water and a clean piece of linen. She sets those near Xena and then adds a full waterskin. Xena watches the bard the entire time.

Kneeling, Gabrielle takes Xena's hand, turns it palm up, and then places an obolus in it. The bard delicately folds Xena's fingers to secure the coin. Gabrielle hugs Xena warmly and kisses her on the temple. Departing, she leaves her to her grief. Xena's voice stops her.

Xena, voice cracked and rough

XENA

If I call …?

Gabrielle, without turning around, quietly

GABRIELLE

I will be there.

Gabrielle starts walking again, expecting to be stopped. She is right.

Xena, growing desperate

XENA

Love you.

GABRIELLE

Love you too.

Gabrielle knows that Xena is trying to keep her here but this is something that has to be faced alone. She resumes her exit.

Xena, pleading

XENA

Thank you!

Gabrielle does not stop and continues on her way.

XENA

Gabrielle!

Gabrielle, halting at the edge of the clearing, loudly and convincingly

GABRIELLE

Xena you have the strength. Trust yourself. And remember, if you call …

Xena, whispering, more to herself than Gabrielle

XENA

You will be there.

A small, sad smile and the forest swallows Gabrielle.

Xena brings her attention to Sophus. She leans down and kisses him tenderly, then places the obolus on his lips. She lies her head down on his chest, mimicking the position from the Elysian Fields. Tears start to fall, slowly, then gathering in numbers. Keening escapes her constricted throat. Still she fights it, clenching her fists and trying to shove the feelings back.

It is the realization that there is no heartbeat that breaks the dam and she howls her forlorn wail at that truth. With this small, necessary step, Xena begins to grieve for her husband.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS - STREAM – EVENING

Xena sits cross-legged next to Sophus, her mind far away. Gabrielle enters the clearing with bedroll, blankets and a plate of food. Moving quickly and efficiently, she spreads the bedroll and arranges the blankets on it. She puts the plate with fresh food next to it. Picking up the bowl and linen, she goes to Xena.

Gabrielle kneels in front of her best friend. Red and teary eyes gaze back, filled with sorrow. Gabrielle cleans Xena's face, neck, and then her hands. She gets a tiny smile of gratitude for her good deed and she answers with a bright, full smile. Xena, depressed as she is, can't resist and her own widens in response.

Gabrielle, going for levity, puts the linen over Xena's nose and orders

GABRIELLE

Blow!

Xena clears her nose on command. Gabrielle wipes Xena's nose and then uncorks and hands her a waterskin. Xena dutifully drinks her fill and hands it back.

Gabrielle, pointing at the plate with fresh food

GABRIELLE

Eat something? For me?

Xena nods. Satisfied, Gabrielle gives her a warm hug. She kisses Xena on the cheek before she takes her leave.

Gabrielle goes to the water to dump the plate with old, uneaten food and to refill the waterskin. She makes one more trip to refill the bowl and wash the linen, which she hangs on a branch to dry.

Everything in order, Gabrielle gives a once over to things, and catches Xena's eyes. She smiles at Xena and mouths “I love you”. Turning, Gabrielle departs.

In slow motion, as if waking from a dream, Xena stretches her body. She stands up and goes to sit on the bedroll. Xena picks up the plate and looks at it without much interest. Abruptly, she cocks her ear as if listening to something.

GABRIELLE VOICE-OVER

Xena, next time you decide to give up on life, wash and eat regularly to the end.

Xena, sighing

XENA

Gods, we must be married. I hear her nagging even when she is not here.

Pause.

XENA

Yes dear.

Guiltily, Xena checks around for the bard. Then, aptly chastised, she digs into her food.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS - CAMP – NIGHT

Xena enters the camp with bedroll and blankets in hand and finds Gabrielle watching.

Xena, mumbling apologetically

XENA

Can't sleep.

Xena goes to the side across the married couple and spreads her bedding. She crawls in and turns away, towards the forest. It is not long before she is sobbing.

Shortly, there are steps that stop at her head. A hand turns Xena on her back and then tugs her upright. Gabrielle takes Xena's hand in hers and leads her to the double bedroll.

Gabrielle, simply

GABRIELLE

Get in.

Xena does not have to be told twice. Soon, she is tucked in, squeezed between two warm bodies which cuddle her. Xena finds sleep easier after that.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT TWO

 

 

 

ACT THREE

FADE OUT:

EXT. WILDERNESS - CAMP – EARLY MORNING

Xena wakes up on her back. She opens her eyes and looks down to find Gabrielle snoring softly on her chest, cheek to tunic. Confused she lifts her head and looks around the camp. Only to shut her eyes and slam her head back down. Cautiously, she opens them again, making sure to remain fixated to Gabrielle's face and not to stray from it. Xena brings her right hand up and grasps Gabrielle's chin. Lifting and turning, she is soon looking at sleepy eyes blinking at her. This throws her off even more. Gabrielle does not sleep in and she wakes up in a fraction of a second, ready to rumble. One mystery at a time, Xena thinks.

Xena, keeping her voice low, urgently

XENA

Gabrielle.

Gabrielle, eyelids drooping, disinterested

GABRIELLE

What?

Xena, trying to get the point across, panicky

XENA

Wife is not wearing anything.

Gabrielle looks at Athena and Xena has to restrain herself from following her gaze. She closes her eyes to avoid giving in to temptation and possibly getting killed by jealous bard. She only opens them when she feels Gabrielle turn head back to her.

Gabrielle, returning her eyes back to Xena, grinning

GABRIELLE

I know. She makes a fine wench.

To the consternation of Xena, Gabrielle promptly falls asleep.

Xena, stumped, shaking Gabrielle awake by the chin in her hand

XENA

Ah, Gabrielle?

GABRIELLE

What now?

XENA

Could she put something on? It is cold in the morning. Very cold.

Gabrielle takes the chance to openly admire and whistle at her wife in appreciation as Xena repeats her earlier accidental glance avoidance routine.

Gabrielle, sagely, as if she was announcing some great wisdom

GABRIELLE

True. She wears that body well.

Gabrielle winks at Xena.

Xena, rapidly catching on to the fact that she is being played, miffed

XENA

You are evil.

Gabrielle, hugging Xena from her position, as much as is possible, proudly

GABRIELLE

I have my grey moments.

XENA

Wife lost a bet?

GABRIELLE

Talked her into it; she offered.

Xena, admiring

XENA

I take it back. You are pure evil.

Gabrielle giggles and slides off Xena. She sits up in the bedroll next to her.

GABRIELLE

Okay, she is decent.

Xena breathes a sigh of relief as the Goddess in question runs up to them, wearing a tunic. Athena dives under the blankets and snuggles up to Xena.

Xena, startled

XENA

Yikes! Cold hands! Cold feet! Cold n…

Pause.

Xena, bolting from the bedroll, distraught

XENA

I have to go!

Xena sprints to the saddlebags and taking a few items, she disappears into the forest.

Gabrielle worms her way back under the blankets and lies on her side. The bard and the Goddess face each other, faces close.

Gabrielle, impishly

GABRIELLE

Hi, I'm pure evil.

Athena, sultry

ATHENA

Hi, I'm a camp wench.

Gabrielle and Athena laugh.

ATHENA

Think it helped?

GABRIELLE

Life is joy and pain. Xena had too much of the latter lately.

Athena, pouting

ATHENA

How come I am the one running around naked, freezing my assets? I could have lost something important, you know. What with not healing, it could be terminal.

Gabrielle, pouncing on top of Athena and pinning her, pronouncing gallantly

GABRIELLE

I will save you!

Athena, frowning

ATHENA

My last visit was disappointingly short.

Gabrielle, hamming it up

GABRIELLE

Alas, I am afraid this procedure will take at least till noon.

Athena, her attitude visibly changing, eagerly

ATHENA

That is a healing touch I can get behind.

GABRIELLE

Oh, you have no idea, my willing and beautiful patient.

Pause.

Gabrielle, wickedly

GABRIELLE

But you will find out. Yes, you will. After all, I am pure evil.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS - STREAM – MORNING

Xena sits cross legged next to Sophus' body. Several scrolls are in her lap. She reaches out and caresses Sophus' face and then runs her hand thru his hair. Xena kisses him on the forehead as fresh tears drop on his face. Composing herself, she turns to her task.

Xena, picking up a rolled up parchment, amiably

XENA

Hello Sophus. I want to share my life with you. You already know about the time in Amphipolis. Let me go back a year earlier to Potidaea so you can meet the person who changed everything. Yes, it's Gabrielle, but you already guessed that. Don't be jealous, I love you both.

Xena unrolls the scroll.

Xena, reading out loud

XENA

I sing of villain's cowardice and hero's courage. I sing of two lonely daughters who each lost a home only to find one together. I sing of friendship and adventure for the ages. I sing the tale: Sins of the Past.

CUT TO:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – INN KITCHEN – 2 DAYS LATER/MORNING

The outside door opens and Xena enters, followed by Gabrielle and Athena. All three are wearing white, high quality tunics. Cyrene is dressed in same. Only Hecuba wears a normal tunic, since she is staying behind.

Gabrielle's smile rises sun-like and brightens the kitchen. She runs to her mother and they embrace.

Cyrene approaches and hugs Xena, who rests her head on her mother's.

Cyrene, sympathetically, comforting

CYRENE

I am sorry for your loss, my daughter. Sophus was a good man, hardworking, honest, and loving. I see shades of Atrius when I think of him; with him you had what I shared with your father, may he rest in Elysium. You and Sophus were right for each other. The fate was cruel and unfair to snatch him away from you.

Cyrene then holds Xena at arms' length so she can worry and fuss over her appearance. It is a sacred mother's right.

Cyrene, feeling Xena to see how thin she is, critically

CYRENE

Xena, don't tell me you are not eating. Child, you can't starve yourself of heart's pain.

Pause.

Cyrene, in her best no nonsense tone, stern

CYRENE

You are staying after the funeral and I won't hear no. You will fade away if we don't get food into you.

Athena smirks and goes to join her wife, ignoring the silent plea for help in Xena's eyes.

Xena, resigned

XENA

Yes mother.

 

FADE OUT:

THE END

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page