Xena: Warrior Princess

 

"Altared States"

Episode 50

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

 

Xena: Warrior Princess is copyright MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures. All original content of Xena: Warrior Princess–2.0 is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog


TEASER

FADE IN:

EXT. CRETE – COAST – EARLY MORNING

A giant, bronze being trudges down the beach towards a distant, tiny fishing village. If a human were cast from metal, skin, muscle, bone, and all, this is who he would resemble – Talos, Hephaestus’ creation, the only mechanical man in Ancient Greece and protector of Crete.

Stumbling towards this walking menace is Meleager. Drunk as a skunk and lacking coordination, the great hero nonetheless does a fine job maintaining his balance. More so, he looks ready to rumble, with the hammer out and roar on his lips.

Reaching Talos, Meleager winds up. Spinning in a circle, he rotates faster and faster, the outstretched weapon whizzing thru the air. The automaton stands there, unconcerned, hands at his sides. He does not bother to defend the attack, which bodes bad news for the smashed hero.

At maximum velocity, the hammer is driven into Talos’ chest with a resounding clang. The devastating impact does absolutely nothing; Meleager is a different story. The resonance vibrates his whole body, making the hero hum like a tuning fork.

Talos sidesteps and Meleager goes face down, maintaining the exact pose he is trapped in. Planting firmly in the sand to a painful stop, the not so great hero passes out.

Talos laughs a booming derision and leaves the hopeless drunk where he failed. Continuing his unknown quest, the automaton heads for the fishing village.

CUT TO:

EXT. CRETE – COAST – MORNING

Meleager sleeps off the booze and battle, visiting waves lapping him. His position has not changed.

The fishing village is not that lucky, its defender vanquished with hardly any effort on the part of Talos. Predictably, dark smoke announces trouble and yet there is no one to answer its cry for help.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

EXT. CHIN – ROAD – 1 MONTH EARLIER/MORNING

Trotting the side of the muddy path that only generously can be called a road, Xena leads a pack of three young horses. Hundred feet behind her, wearing a Chinese peasant garb, a SOLDIER follows her openly. He is not the only one.

There are half–seen shadows and dark figures inhabiting the thick forest pressing in on both sides. At least couple dozen and likely more keep Xena forced company.

The Warrior Princess ignores them, riding without her usual grace. The weight of her separation from Gabrielle hits her hard and the upcoming reunion with Solan doubles the burden.

In the distance, a mountain range looms. The winter sky blinks brilliant blue, washed clear of the grime and clouds by the evidence on the ground.

CUT TO:

EXT. FOREST – CAMP – NIGHT

The moon jumps out in the cutting, crisp air. Steam rises from the horses grazing and Xena by the fire. Large pot of some dark brew starts to boil.

The dead leaves and detritus whisper of bodies settling for the night and then a lone set of footprints heads for the camp.

The SOLDIER enters, taking a seat by the blazing fire. Secrecy lost in the presence of a sizable escort, Warrior Princess’s focus shifts to staying warm.

Xena, nodding in the direction of the rest, making small talk

XENA

No ordinary men, those. Takes character to lie on the ground cold and hungry without protest. Used to make and lead men like that.

The SOLDIER does not answer.

XENA

No longer.

SOLDIER, unfriendly

SOLDIER

The fangs brand the snake; the forked tongue spills nonsense. Wise man considers the nature not the words.

Xena, matter of fact

XENA

That skin was shed in Amphipolis two springs past.

SOLDIER, sharply, with a mean edge to it

SOLDIER

Rather think you seduced an Amazon Queen, same as Borias and countless others. You don’t change Xena Khan; you cannot. I pity you.

Xena stirs the mix and tastes it. Satisfied, she dips a mug and starts sipping. The SOLDIER watches impassively.

Xena, weary

XENA

We are more alike than different.

Pause.

Xena, unperturbed, innocently offering

XENA

Tea?

The SOLDIER regards her suspiciously; cognizant of the fact, the Warrior Princess takes a gulp of her drink to prove good intentions.

Grunting gruffly, the SOLDIER turns and signals to the others.

One by one, black–garbed ASSASSINS file out of the woods, quiet but not Gabrielle quiet. Each downs a cup of hot liquid and fades back into obscurity, a grateful stare the only acknowledgement of Xena’s generosity.

The SOLDIER ignores the proceedings, his keen, distrusting eyes studying the Warrior Princess for any deception. There is none.

CUT TO:

EXT. HANGING MONASTERY – GATE – 1 DAY LATER/NOON

Soaring 160 feet above the land, built on the edge of a cliff, sits a temple. Stairs laboriously climb from below, tiring the eye long before the body undertakes the task. At the foot, a massive gate bars entry leaving either wings or scaling sheer walls as remaining entry options.

Xena dismounts and approaches a TAO MONK standing stone still in front of a tiny door set into the structure that appears out of proportion to the function of guarding the path up. The entire defensive setup screams treasure ahead, except the TAO MONK does not appear militant and rather soft and round around the middle. There is however a staff leaning against the stones with an arm’s reach of the TAO MONK – an unspoken warning against violence.

Upon Xena’s dismount and subsequent approach, the TAO MONK raises his finger to the lips, ordering silence. Warrior Princess’ partially–open mouth snaps shut.

TAO MONK bows and Xena returns the respect. The SOLDIER, holding a steady distance behind Xena, bows as well. Of the others, there is no sign.

The TAO MONK extends a hand and the Warrior Princess places Lao Ma’s scroll in it. Breaking the seal, the TAO MONK scans the contents quickly and curtly nods approval. He does not appear happy about any visitors disturbing the peace of his home.

TAO MONK rolls the parchment back up and swiveling about, departs. The door shuts and bolts and then the footsteps are the only indication of movement until the TAO MONK appears on the stairs. His place is taken by the SOLDIER, who approaches from behind.

SOLDIER, out of peasant clothes and into the dark outfit, informationally

SOLDIER

White Lotus advises you to keep your feet moving forward and your head pointed towards Greece from onwards.

Xena, lightly

XENA

Why the black?

SOLDIER

Irony.

Xena, trying to get a rise out of the SOLDIER, wolfishly

XENA

I killed the earlier escort of six.

SOLDIER, dismissively

SOLDIER

We are two score seasoned soldiers, not trainees proving their worth. You will stand in Tyre in a month or we will carry your body there.

Pause.

SOLDIER

The circle closes with the release of your son – a country and Little Dragon for your life and his. There is nothing left for you in Chin, Xena Khan.

Xena, letting the mask slip for a second, intently serious

XENA

You are wrong.

SOLDIER, blind to the obvious, practically daring her

SOLDIER

Then persist to our pleasure.

Judging by the cold stare he gets in return, that is one challenge the SOLDIER might come to regret.

CUT TO:

EXT. HANGING MONASTERY – GATE – EVENING

The SOLDIER and forty ASSASSINS mill about in the background, saddled and ready to go. Xena looks bored but holds her impatience well. Certainly, the monks operate on time different from the world. Either that or they go out of the way to discourage repeat visits.

The door swings open and Solan walks out. Taking after his mother, he is a tall youth of eight; resembling Borias in bulky build and facial features. Shaved head, humble grey tunic, and bare feet complete the picture; small bundle accounts for the entirety of his earthly possessions.

Xena, overcome by the past, weakly

XENA

… I … I’m sorry …

It is the most awkward of reunions and over in few seconds. Solan walks past Xena busy fumbling words, ignoring her completely. The boy stops by the horse and calmly waits for assistance.

Xena simply comes over, picks him up, and then sets astonished Solan up on the horse. Seeing a break in the calculated demeanor, the Warrior Princess strikes but trips the execution.

Xena, trying again, words practically dripping with guilt

XENA

I’m your mother, Solan.

Not getting an answer, Xena reaches out and touches her son’s leg. Solan turns his head away and her hand drops limply.

CUT TO:

EXT. CHIN – CAMP – NIGHT

Xena forlornly observes Solan sleeping by the fire. The flames cast his face in shifting light, swapping resemblance from Borias to Xena, and all the in–between gradients.

SOLDIER is there as well, but his interest lies in the Warrior Princess and specifically, her behavior towards the boy.

SOLDIER, witnessing the conflicting thoughts play in Xena’s eyes, shrewdly

SOLDIER

Feeling human?

Xena, bitingly

XENA

Stick to spying, not being my conscience.

SOLDIER, taking no offense, wistfully

SOLDIER

Watched men all my life … watched them train, fight, and die if they were lucky. Wounds persist; some for a lifetime.

Xena clenches her jaw.

SOLDIER, standing up, sincerely

SOLDIER

You are right, we are not that different.

Xena, grudgingly

XENA

Just Xena – no titles.

SOLDIER, bowing

SOLDIER

General Zhang.

If the Warrior Princess is surprised by the high rank, she does not show it. Yet when he finally leaves, she follows the departure of the old soldier with a small smile.

Xena, amused

XENA

Lao Ma: sending a fox to snag a wolf. Thing is, foxes are too smart for their own good.

CUT TO:

EXT. FOREST – CAMP – DAWN

Xena spars with air while sneaking glances at her son; it’s just the two of them.

Solan is lost in doing tai chi and pays no attention to her.

The Warrior Princess stops her sword exercises and retrieves Gabrielle’s staff. Guessing right, she tosses it to Solan and he deftly catches it and assumes defensive posture.

Sheathing her sword, Xena picks up her heavier version and joins him. Abruptly, he strikes like lighting and dumps Xena on her butt. Solan looks smug about it too.

The boy pays for it. Attacking from the ground, Xena sends an avalanche of blows his way. Avoiding strikes to body, limbs, or head, she hammers on the wood until his arms go numb from the blows and the staff slips from his grasp.

Placing a wooden end under his chin, Xena lifts Solan to his toes.

Xena, sternly

XENA

You dishonor Gabrielle and her weapon.

Upon release, Solan bows stiffly and departs.

CUT TO:

EXT. STEPPE – CAMP – ONE WEEK LATER/NIGHT

Xena stands under the stars, alone. Far behind her, Solan eats by the fire; Zhang guards the boy.

Xena, addressing the east, frustrated

XENA

Not one word. Gabrielle, children are supposed to talk; that’s what they do. Stopping their voices from conquering ears ranks nigh Sisyphean. Solan doesn’t.

Pause.

XENA

I try; day and night words flow and … nothing. He meditates constantly and shuts the world to unnatural exclusion. The wall prevails, has nary a chip or crack and my head is bloody from battering.

Pause.

Xena, sighing

XENA

I entertained the pinch just to make sure he is not mute.

Pause.

Xena, starting to pace, earnestly

XENA

Everything is times harder without you, from laying the head down to lifting it in the morrow; even rest turns and tosses. Only my son’s and yours safety stops the return to Chin. My bard, I need you; I need your love, your guidance, your patience, and your special ability to warm cold hearts.

Pause.

Xena, pleading

XENA

Help me, Gabrielle.

A falling star plunges towards the earth as if in answer.

CUT TO:

EXT. STEPPE – CAMP – NIGHT

Solan sits cross–legged on his bedroll, lost in inner chants or thoughts – same outcome.

Xena goes straight to the saddlebags on her return and retrieves a handful of scroll cases. Taking them beside the fire, she picks thru them until she finds Sins of the Past. Settling down, she begins to follow the familiar handwriting on well–worn paper.

The tension visibly drains from Xena’s body and unbidden tears bear witness to the turmoil inside.

Both Zhang and the boy are captured by the unexpected development. The first, opting for prudence, carefully takes to his feet and makes to leave, before changing his mind and cautiously facing Xena.

Zhang, surreptitiously searching for the author, sympathetically

ZHANG

Who was he?

Xena, refusing to engage, hollowly yet with a note of threat

XENA

Lost.

Zhang, apologetically

ZHANG

My condolences.

Having pushed his luck to the breaking point, the career soldier retreats to live another day. He leaves the camp to the family divided.

Xena lifts her head to confirm his absence and her stare wanders over to her son, raptly watching. Inspiration strikes.

The Warrior Princess quickly rolls the scroll closed and stores it. Picking a few more out of the rest, she carries the impromptu bundle over to her son.

Xena, excited

XENA

I want you to meet someone.

CUT TO:

EXT. STEPPE – CAMP – EARLY MORNING

Solan groggily crawls out from under the blanket and yawningly wipes the dreams with his knuckles. Scroll cases litter his bedroll, further evidence of a late–night reading binge.

CUT TO:

EXT. STEPPE – CAMP – LATE EVENING

Zhang gone for the night, Solan marches over to the horses and appropriates Gabrielle’s staff. Coming over to where his shocked mother waits, he bows.

Solan, confidently

SOLAN

Teach me.

CUT TO:

EXT. STEPPE – CAMP – FOLLOWING DAY/EVENING

Xena and Zhang casually observe Solan dig persistently thru Warrior Princess’ saddlebags in a quest for additional scrolls, before emerging with tonight’s winner. The delighted boy withdraws to the comfort of his bedroll.

Zhang, fishing, offhandedly

ZHANG

Got a name to go with the bard?

XENA

You could snoop.

Zhang, playing it cool

ZHANG

I suppose authorship makes no difference; the content rules supreme. Unless they are one and same?

Xena, deliberately obtuse, teasing

XENA

Do they now?

As is his custom, Zhang vacates the premises, knowing further probing futile and likely counterproductive.

Xena, looking at Solan deeply engaged in bard’s story, gratefully

XENA

Thank you, Gabrielle.

CUT TO:

EXT. BARADA RIVER – CAMP – 3 WEEKS LATER/DAWN

Xena turns from her task of storing gear on horses to find the boy shifting nervously. Similar to dealing with a feral animal, she freezes and hands the initiative to her son. The Warrior Princess is not disappointed.

Solan, hesitantly hugging Xena, shyly trying out the word

SOLAN

Mother.

Xena draws Solan to her chest and cries freely.

Zhang enters camp and it taken aback by the touching scene before him. The truth cannot be denied: Xena Khan does not exist anymore.

CUT TO:

EXT. BARADA RIVER – CAMP – EARLY MORNING

Fair Damascus beguilingly beckons west a ways, an oasis of a city. Closer, things come to a head.

Zhang, light dawning, confrontational

ZHANG

Who did this to you? Who tamed Xena Khan?

Xena, sticking the blade in figuratively, with contempt

XENA

You poor fool.

Pause.

Xena, twisting the dagger, putting the finishing lie on the masterpiece, arrogantly

XENA

Power, it’s always about power Zhang. I am not the dominant one in our relationship. She is.

Zhang, despairing

ZHANG

Gods save the Empire!

True to pattern, the runs off.

XENA

Well Gabrielle, bought you two months head start – hope you put them to good use.

Soon, Zhang’s shouts dominate the ASSASSINS, the group preparing for immediate departure.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

EXT. CRETE – CLIFFS – NOON

The path meanders above the sea, offering spectacular views of the water sprinkled with numerous fishing boats. Hercules blocks the trail, waiting for Talos to arrive shortly.

The automaton does.

Hercules, neutrally

HERCULES

Talos, you know better. You are supposed to protect the people of Crete. Why are you doing this?

Talos, irritated

TALOS

Run or fight.

Hercules, with regret

HERCULES

I’m sorry.

Hercules steps over to young pine tree and rips it out, roots and all. Swinging with full strength, he aims to send Talos flying into the sea.

The bronze giant has none of it. He deftly catches the incoming trunk and violently shoves it and clinging Hercules over the edge. The hero and his impromptu weapon go sailing into the empty air and plummet down when gravity urgently asserts itself.

CUT TO:

EXT. TYRE/HARBOR – TAVERN – FEW DAYS LATER/AFTERNOON

Xena and Solan occupy a large table. The various SAILORS, MERCENARIES, MERCHANTS, HARLOTS, and LOCALS that crowd the rest of the packed space give a wide berth to fully armed and armored Warrior Princess. Undisturbed, the family enjoys a meal of dubious quality.

Solan makes a grab for Xena ale and gets his hand playfully slapped away. The dynamic speaks eloquently of their relationship.

Hercules picks this very moment to join them.

Hercules, beaming

HERCULES

Xena!

Xena, leaping to her feet, pleased to see him

XENA

Hercules!

They forearm shake and then embrace.

Xena, pulling back, warmly

XENA

Want you to meet someone: Solan, my son.

The boy hesitantly stands and just stays there.

Hercules, putting Solan at ease, amiably

HERCULES

A young hero in the making, no doubt, given his mothers.

They exchange the same handshake, minus the hug. Solan gobbles the praise and respect and returns smiles.

Hercules, looking around, to Xena, concerned

HERCULES

Athena’s a mess, Gabrielle’s not here … Xena, where is your sun?

Xena, sad

XENA

Shining in the Far East.

Pause.

Xena, adding quietly

XENA

Don’t ask.

Hercules, decisively

HERCULES

Later. The pledge stands.

Xena, already dreading it, weakly agreeing

XENA

Later then.

Pause.

Xena, jumping on first available distraction from the dark thoughts, playing hostess

XENA

Come, sit.

All three take seats and Xena slides her plate to Hercules who digs in enthusiastically. Solan tries the same trick, only to meekly withdraw the offer under the scolding blaze of his mother’s eyes. No escaping his unpalatable meal, he resignedly and unenthusiastically pokes at it.

There is a commotion and the crowd parts to reveal Nebula dragging Autolycus. Solan uses the opportunity to toss the food over his shoulder, to the chorus of yells and outrage; fortunately, sharing a table with Hercules and Xena guarantees immunity from mischief. Problem thus solved, the boy assumes an innocent expression.

Nebula, arriving and presenting her catch to Hercules, jokingly

NEBULA

Found your jester.

HERCULES

Don’t know; throw it overboard.

Autolycus, outraged

AUTOLYCUS

Hey!

Nebula starts to move the King of Thieves away from the table.

Autolycus, turning up the protest and the volume

AUTOLYCUS

Hey!!!

Pause.

AUTOLYCUS

Xena!

Xena gestures relief and Nebula roughly deposits Autolycus into the chair next to her. She takes the next available, effectively trapping the thief between the two women.

Autolycus, to Xena, shameless, melodramatically

AUTOLYCUS

Funding my lifestyle of excess means being there for the advantages presented. Pirate ship, rich treasure, bosom captain …

NEBULA

Takes courage to enter the cabin of the woman you robbed.

AUTOLYCUS

Technically, you robbed it first. Not seeing the fault here.

Hercules, between bites, to Autolycus, suggestively

Hercules

This chest fixation of yours is unhealthy.

Xena instantly covers Solan’s ears; puzzled, he tries to work out why.

Xena, steering the conversation to safer waters, to Autolycus, ribbing

XENA

You keep getting caught.

Autolycus, brightly

AUTOLYCUS

It’s my curse.

NEBULA

Prison cures that; so does honest work.

AUTOLYCUS

Seriously?

Nebula, grinning

NEBULA

Yes.

Autolycus, oozing charm

AUTOLYCUS

Just when circumstances cloud hope for us, my beautiful and beautifully deadly pirate captain, you keep saying yes to me. Dinner date?

NEBULA

No.

AUTOLYCUS

Pity.

Hercules, piling on

HERCULES

Smart woman.

XENA

Add another rejection to the burgeoning collection.

Autolycus, to Xena, unerringly focusing on her weakness

AUTOLYCUS

Where is your fun half?

Xena, game, bantering

XENA

Chin.

AUTOLYCUS

I stand by earlier assertion.

Xena, bitterly

XENA

Actually: sold her into slavery.

Hercules chokes on his meal; Nebula looks lost.

Autolycus, shouting

AUTOLYCUS

Gabrielle?!

Xena, sarcastically

XENA

No, Argo.

Autolycus, confused

AUTOLYCUS

Isn’t she your beloved horse?

XENA

Horse talked less.

HERCULES & AUTOLYCUS

Wait, what?!

XENA

Female wiles too much for you?

Autolycus, to audience at large, philosophically

AUTOLYCUS

Since when does Zeus grant a sense of humor to humorless?

XENA

Not in your case.

HERCULES

Autolycus, word of advice: Xena trained her tongue on the bard.

Autolycus, quipping

AUTOLYCUS

I pay to see that.

NEBULA

Me too.

All eyes fix on Nebula.

Nebula, shrugging

NEBULA

Long sea voyages, girl gets lonely for variety.

Solan, suddenly complaining

SOLAN

Mom, you are hurting me.

The Warrior Princess uncovers her son’s ears and he rubs them into life.

Xena, deadly serious

XENA

Topic change or I go warlord …

The resulting uncomfortable silence lasts through the delivery of a pitcher of mead and its distribution into mugs. To his delight, a little gets added to Solan’s water.

Nebula, venturing bravely

NEBULA

So, Talos.

Xena, intrigued

XENA

Talos of Crete?

Hercules, grimly

HERCULES

Heroes are coming and dying from trying to stop him.

Autolycus, thoughtfully

AUTOLYCUS

It’s almost …

Xena and Hercules, one right after the other

XENA

Intentional.

HERCULES

Deliberate.

NEBULA

Meleager survived by drunk luck and muscles here …

Autolycus, interrupting

AUTOLYCUS

Hard headed?

NEBULA

Demigod.

Autolycus, cheerfully

AUTOLYCUS

Well, I’m off. Things to do, people to steal, the usual.

HERCULES

There’s a reward.

AUTOLYCUS

There was that word earlier. What was it? Ah yes: dead.

NEBULA

Heroes.

Autolycus, shuddering

AUTOLYCUS

I don’t think our bronze giant is going to politely ask me whether I am a do–gooder or not before commencing unspeakable, bone–breaking violence. “Fists before manners” goes the monster’s creed. Okay, teeth and claws too.

Hercules, stubbornly insisting

HERCULES

He’s an intelligent, living being.

Nebula, to Hercules, pointedly

NEBULA

He did throw you off the cliff.

Autolycus, thick on the irony

AUTOLYCUS

Well, that’s fine because I am sure lots of people want to throw Hercules off the cliff. What, am I wrong?

Xena, with finality

XENA

Fight or I will feed you to Nebula.

Nebula, darkly

NEBULA

I got big plans and bigger appetite … insatiable appetite.

Autolycus, sighing, morosely

AUTOLYCUS

I am a lover, you know? Animals, the lot of you.

Expectant gazes hold no quarter.

Autolycus, admitting defeat, flatly

AUTOLYCUS

Go team …

Pause.

Autolycus, under his breath

AUTOLYCUS

… to Tartarus.

Xena, with her sharp hearing, reacts by slapping the thief upside the head. Solan giggles.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT TWO

ACT THREE

FADE IN:

EXT. LEVIATHAN – STERN DECK – 3 DAYS LATER/NIGHT

Nebula’s ship leaves a wake of foam, waves, and patterns, irresistible to the boy of eight. Solan eats the sights of a new experience with a gluttony that recalls a certain bard. The scrolls’ zest for life infects his soul.

One moment alone, next he is joined by a figure in golden armor. The Goddess imitates Solan, leaning on the rail while he, open–mouthed, takes her in. Athena endures the scrutiny patiently.

Solan, breathlessly

SOLAN

You’re Athena, Goddess of War, protector of heroes, best friend of Xena, and Gabrielle’s wife.

Athena, chuckling

ATHENA

You guessed all that?

Solan, modestly

SOLAN

Read scrolls.

Athena, wistfully

ATHENA

You have her in you. How’s Xena?

SOLAN

Misses you.

ATHENA

It’s complicated.

Contemplative silence descends and last a spell before being broken.

Solan, confessing

SOLAN

I did not want mother; I hated her for taking me away.

Athena straightens up and faces Solan. He turns and looks up at the radiant Goddess, who, guided by motherly instinct, brushes the unruly hair from his visage.

Athena, gently

ATHENA

What happened?

Solan, tearing up, with wonder as if still finding it hard to believe

SOLAN

My other mom: the one who speaks thru the pages. She loves me without having seen me, without having heard me, without knowing me. If a stranger can love me as much as she does then I am wrong to feel the way I do.

Athena, kneeling before the boy, comfortingly

ATHENA

Do you want me to stay with you?

Solan, hedging his bets, afraid to ask, timidly

SOLAN

I was hoping …

Athena, opening her arms wide and banishing his fears, affectionately

ATHENA

You are family, Solan. My family.

CUT TO:

EXT. LEVIATHAN – STERN DECK STAIRS – NIGHT

Xena watches Athena draw Solan into the embrace and the boy eagerly complying. Turning swiftly and silently, she whispers away lest she disturbs them. Wiping at her eyes furiously, the Warrior Princess withdraws down the stairs, unseen.

CUT TO:

INT. LEVIATHAN – CAPTAIN’S CABIN – MORNING

Xena and Nebula sit at a table draped with detailed, large map of Crete. Shortly, Hercules and Autolycus add to the war council numbers.

Autolycus, plopping down onto a chair, gloomily

AUTOLYCUS

Good news: Meleager’s still alive. Bad news: Meleager’s still alive and he imbibed the island’s remaining supply of alcohol. Clearly, we are defeated.

NEBULA

Enlighten us.

Autolycus, glibly

AUTOLYCUS

Zeus’ decree: cannot have a victory without celebration.

XENA

And your learned source for this earth–shaking announcement?

AUTOLYCUS

A friend of a friend of a friend – some of the best rumors start that way.

Xena, to Hercules, worried

XENA

Hercules?

Hercules, troubled

HERCULES

You start believing your own legend and then one day you grow old and are just that: a story. Then you either take to the bottle or sword. One kills you faster than the other.

Nebula, animated

NEBULA

Get yours and retire rich!

AUTOLYCUS

Hear, hear!

NEBULA

King of Thieves is right for once.

Autolycus, petulantly

AUTOLYCUS

I take back my “hear, hear”.

Xena, ignoring the bickering rogues, apprehensive

XENA

Think he got one more battle in him?

Hercules, doubtful

HERCULES

Think he will get himself killed.

CUT TO:

INT. LEVIATHAN – XENA’S CABIN – MORNING

Solan is immersed in a scroll, his feet dangling merrily under the bunk bed.

Athena materializes in the small space.

Athena, smiling

ATHENA

How would like to be a hero?

With a childish squeak, the Goddess is mobbed by the overjoyed boy. She bears it with dignity, as much as she can muster.

Solan, enthusiastically

SOLAN

Yes!

They both vanish.

CUT TO:

EXT. CRETE – COAST – MORNING

Athena and Solan appear on a beach. She hands him one of Gabrielle’s scrolls and points towards Talos, resting on some rocks. Ruffled hair later, she vanishes.

Out of choices, certain the giant noticed him by now, Solan cautiously makes his way towards him.

Talos, amused

TALOS

You going to attack me, boy?

Solan, showing hands empty but for a scroll, smartly

SOLAN

How?

Talos, agreeably

TALOS

You find me in good humor. What do you seek?

Before Solan can answer, Meleager’s savage battle cry splits the air. Rushing down the beach at full tilt, he aims to run past Xena’s son and have at Talos. At least the old man is sober this time. Still, fortune evades him as before.

Timing it perfectly, Solan trips Meleager; the hero goes flying and knocks himself out on Talos’ outstretched leg. The giant shakes him off and sends him sprawling.

Solan, alarmed

SOLAN

Don’t kill him!

Talos, indifferent

TALOS

Entertaining fool, sober or not. I ask again: what about you?

Solan, with confidence he does not feel

SOLAN

I’m a hero.

Pause.

Solan, less sure under Talos’ skeptical look

SOLAN

Not yet, but one day, like my mothers.

TALOS

Where’s your father in this?

Solan, heavily

SOLAN

I was raised an orphan in a monastery. Used to dream about my parents coming one day and few weeks ago it came true. I don’t understand it but there are three of them.

Pause.

SOLAN

I think Gabrielle my real mother.

TALOS

Is it so or do you want her to be?

Solan, waving the scroll, happy

SOLAN

Very much.

Talos, putting a damper of festivities, blurting out

TALOS

I’m alone.

Solan checks the title of the scroll and it’s Titan.

SOLAN

This is a great one, about the last of his kind. Can I read it to you?

Talos, surprised

TALOS

You are not afraid of me and you want to help me?

SOLAN

I have to be strong and brave.

TALOS

You are. Go ahead.

CUT TO:

EXT. CRETE – FORESTED TRAIL – NOON

Autolycus, grumbling

AUTOLYCUS

I don’t like the plan.

Xena, curtly

XENA

Tough.

NEBULA

Think of the reputation boost.

AUTOLYCUS

Not helping. At all.

Hercules, simply

HERCULES

We hold; you disassemble.

AUTOLYCUS

What if there is nothing to take apart? Also, for posterity, I’m the lone voice of reason in this madness.

HERCULES

Hephaestus built him; what was created can be undone.

AUTOLYCUS

That is what I am afraid of. Not feeling very sturdy today; cannot place my finger on why though.

Nebula, helpfully

NEBULA

Things inevitably going wrong?

Xena, a little too quickly

XENA

Things hardly go wrong.

Autolycus, not buying it, unconvinced

AUTOLYCUS

So, just how many of your plans do succeed?

XENA

All of them. However, there is often a slight, improvisational part to them.

Nebula, having fun tormenting Autolycus

NEBULA

That’s encouraging. Tell us even less.

Hercules, simply

HERCULES

Hero’s life.

NEBULA

The magnitude of favor just went up.

Autolycus, falsely optimistic

AUTOLYCUS

Well, at least we will die together. It’s small, but it’s consolation. Make it sweeter if you all went first. Except you Nebula; I kind of like you. You can die last.

Nebula, slapping Autolycus on the butt, rakishly

NEBULA

Hold you to it.

AUTOLYCUS

Lunch date?

Nebula, firmly

NEBULA

No.

CUT TO:

EXT. CRETE – COAST – LATE AFTERNOON

Talos sits immobile, staring out at the sea. Solan uses giant’s left leg as backrest. Meleager, tied up and gagged, involuntarily enjoys nature.

Solan, hoarse and exhausted

SOLAN

That all the tales I remember and I don’t tell them as well as mother does.

Talos, kindly

TALOS

I liked them all.

Solan, looking up, curious

SOLAN

Why did you hurt people?

TALOS

Astraeus was right: it’s not my world anymore.

SOLAN

I’m sorry.

Talos, reminiscing

TALOS

Daedalus, my adopted father, passed centuries ago. Worse: no one to call friend until you.

Talos starts shifting and Solan gets up and steps away. The giant stands up and goes to the waterline; the boy follows.

Talos, resolutely

TALOS

It’s time to be a hero, Solan.

Solan, understanding the meaning behind the request, tearing up, depressed

SOLAN

I don’t want to anymore. It hurts inside.

TALOS

They are coming to kill me, aren’t they?

Solan, sobbing

SOLAN

They are going to tear you apart.

Talos, at peace

TALOS

On my right heel is a nail. Pull it out.

Pause.

TALOS

Please, my friend. Please.

Shaking, Solan collapses to the ground. Trembling fingers seek and find a tiny bronze nail. Taking a deep breath, the boy pulls the object out. From the wound, blood seeps.

Talos steps forward and then turns around and kneels. An oversized finger touches Solan’s chest.

Talos, sincerely

TALOS

Solan, you have a big, courageous heart. You are your mother’s son.

Lifting his bulk to his full height, the bronze giant once again faces the sea.

TALOS

Goodbye, friend.

Talos wades into the waves, leaving a trail of crimson. Less and less remains with each stride until the sea swallows him whole. On the beach, Solan passes out.

CUT TO:

EXT. CRETE – COAST – LATE AFTERNOON

Xena, with the sharpest sight, spots the twin lumps far ahead, one up on the beach and one closer to the waves. Within a few steps she recognizes the shape and breaks into full sprint. The rest of the group follows, but the Warrior Princess outruns everyone.

Xena, falling to the ground and picking up Solan, terrified

XENA

SOLAN!!!

The boy comes to and blinks watery eyes. Recognizing his mother, he hugs her tightly.

Solan, crying out, guilt eating him

SOLAN

Talos is dead and I killed him!

Xena, rocking him, soothingly

XENA

Shh.

Hercules, Nebula, and Autolycus run up, out of breath. Xena waves them off.

CUT TO:

EXT. CRETE – CAMP – EVENING

Xena finds Meleager at the edge of the light, furtively examining his shaking hands in the twitchy shadows.

Xena, startling Meleager, admitting

XENA

For me it was food.

MELEAGER

Bah, mere nuisance, hardly debilitating.

XENA

Not if you can’t fit into your armor.

MELEAGER

That would do it.

Pause.

MELEAGER

For me … well.

Xena puts a hand over his, steadying it.

CUT TO:

EXT. CRETE – CAMP – NIGHT

Meleager and Hercules are competing in a snoring competition, on the other side of the clearing. Solan sleeps close to the fire.

Xena gets in double bedroll and lies on her back, exactly as Gabrielle has for her wife. Athena studies her for a few long seconds, then without saying a word settles into her usual spot. The Goddess shifts around until she finds a fit she likes, Xena’s contours different from the bard. Xena pulls the blankets over them both and closes her eyes.

Athena, mischievously

ATHENA

Wife holds me close.

XENA

Gabrielle does a lot of things to and for you but I am very, very, very scared of her so why don’t we keep to pillow Xena and that way I live past her return.

Athena shakes in silent laughter. Gradually, it subsides. Soon, she is out like a light.

Xena reaches under the covers and wraps her arms around the Goddess.

FADE OUT:

THE END

Return to the Academy

Author's Page