1. Disclaimer: Xena, Gabrielle, Athena, Argo ,  Hercules, Iolus  and the amazons do not belong to me.They belong to universal and Renaissance studios. 
  2. Violence and subtext: Barely any violence and the subtext is main text. It has  women loving women engaging in sexual activities. So no reading this if you are not over 18 or it is banned where you live.
  3.  Description: Xena and Gabrielle love story. In the Show, they state that the 2 are soul mates, together in everylife. Well, what happens when Gabrielle runs into her future soulmate's incarnation.Well Keep reading and find out.

 

                                                      SOUL MISSION

by Chef Etiquette

If you are here to read a classic Xena Warrior Princess story, then stop reading right now. This story is not like ones you have read before. So, buckle up. It ’s going to be a strange and crazy ride.

Our story begins some hundreds of years after the fall of the Greek Gods had come and passed. There was chaos in the world. Humans were restless. Wars began to brew. In the physical and spiritual dimension. There was a source that all of this had come from. It had been evolving for hundreds of years since its birth into the mortal world as human. A human that was once known by the name Alti. Her evil began evolving every time it traveled to its next life.

The concerning evil ’s existence created a need for a great good to combat its power. This awakened the Sovereign Avatars. Wise elders whose very existence helped keep Alti ’s Evil at Bay. There were 3. Their powers were naturally sourced from the earth. They controlled the elements by simply thinking it. They were fated to live unnaturally long lives, but their existence was not endless. Eventually they too would have to die.

This worried them. For they knew that Alti ’s evil would grow and evolve with each lifetime. If they were not there to meet it and defeat it, her evil would become untamed. It would destroy every time in existence, past, present and future.  They knew her evil would grow and learn until it culminated into its greatest form.

So, then a Prophecy was born. The first group of witches were created at this time born as humans to help with their protection. Their powers were to be passed down from generation to generation. So that was the first line of protection against this evil was fortified. Their magic was fueled by natural energy as well. But it was converted into to what is now known as magic. Then, a race of lesser, human avatars was created and would born into the world every 100 years. These avatars would be an evolution of a single soul evolving and growing in strength as well. This soul ’s power would be split among Four beings each wielding one of the four elements, earth, air, fire and water. Until the culmination of all the avatars would be born into one human form in the same time as the culmination of Alti ’s Ultimate evil form. This would be the last Avatar.

So, a council of the Avatars was formed. They were given omens to look for at the time of the Culmination of what was to become known as the time of the great evil. They did not know who the Avatar would be. Only that She would be born of Witch in an African tribe. Nigerian to be specific.  The council was reformed countless times over hundreds of years. Waiting for the time when the Avatar ’s final form would emerge.

 

-----------------------------------------000000000000000000000000000000000000000---------------------

Unbeknownst to the council of Avatars, when Alti realized she could not accomplish the evil exaltation to its full extent in one lifetime, she decided to form a council of her own to ensure her soul ’s evolution and survival. She wanted her reincarnation to be calculated just right, dying and being reborn at just the right time.

She knew she would have to protect her future soul, if it was to evolve in the correct manner. So, not only did she design and safeguard her own reincarnation, but that of her council of dark Avatars as well, complete with the memories and knowledge of all their past lives.

With this advantage she knew she would be able to incubate and nurture her skills until it ’s culmination.

Over her lifetimes her and the council gained servants and warriors, known as the soldiers of darkness. They constantly hunted for any sign of the child of prophecy. The Avatar fated to take part in the big battle to end all battles. Deciding her fate, and the fate of all time.

------------------------------------------0000000000000000000000000000000---------------------------------

 

AVA ’S BIRTH

It was night. Rains poured down from the heavens. In a small cave a woman with skin as dark as night giving birth, to a baby girl with eyes the color of rain. Hadiza hid her birth from her tribe because the child ’s father was not African. So, she ran. She knew months ago she was beginning to show, and she wanted to protect the child.  So, there she was in a cave pushing as hard as she could. Alone. She felt she was about to lose consciousness, but she willed her mind to stay awake for the child ’s sake. She had put protective spells around the cave to protect them and quiet her screams as she gave birth. Hadiza was able to sever the umbilical cord just before she fell unconscious, the baby cradled in her arms.

She woke an hour later to her child crying. She sat up abruptly staring at the dark cave.  A wave of her hand created a roaring fire with pot of soup on. She rarely used her magic for this reason, but she was in the middle of nowhere with a newborn and no resources. She needed strength to care for the child.

“Glad to see my charms and spells lasted.” she said as she lifted the little bundle at her side.  Examining the little human, she realized something. “You need a bath little one.” Another wave of her hand and a shallow trough with water and soap appeared and she deposited the little one inside. She cleaned her off and put her in the blankets while she did the same for herself.

Soon after that Hadiza heard the cry of her child again. She was hungry. So, she brought her to her breast and helped the infant attach for a meal. As she watched the infant suckle as her life depended on it, she examined her new little one. She noticed her skin had markings. She knew these somehow. And they were on her chest, face and arms. Suddenly they began to glow.

Then she realized where she had seen them before. They were Gaelic symbols for warrior, strength and arms. Repeating in a pattern. Then she realized her daughter was the child of prophecy. But she knew she needed to protect her until her powers made themselves known and she could be discovered by the council of Avatars. If not, she would be killed by a number of enemies.

 So, after she placed the infant on a blanket in the middle, she began to make symbols with her hands. Then she spoke “ti sonu”.  With those words the symbols disappeared from the little one ’s skin. Then she embraced the little one once more and stared into her piercing rain- colored orbs. Skin the color of red dust, hair thick, dark and curly.

“I have to name you, haven ’t I?” Hadiza spoke. I want to give you something from your father ’s Spanish culture. So, your name will be Ava.”

Suddenly she heard a rumbling as the cave began to shake. Just then she looked up at the entrance of the cave and Saw soldiers of the darkness. She knew they must have sensed Ava ’s tattoo ’s glowing and now she had no time to protect her little one. So, she quickly bundled the child up and used magic to tuck a note in her blankets. The rumbling continued as her protection spells and charms were being penetrated. She kissed the infant on her head and spoke. “Ava, I miss you already. Be strong. Your life will be more difficult than you can imagine. Mama loves you forever.” She whispered. With that she rose and placed her hand in the air over the infant and created the symbol of a triangle. Then she spoke. “Pamo.” Then the infant disappeared.  Just as she did, the soldiers of the darkness broke through her spell, and she turned to face her fate.

“Where is the child?” one of the soldiers yelled with a growl.

Hadiza did not answer. She closed her eyes and the tattoo of the triquetra on her chest began to glow.  She made a circle in her hands in the air and spoke. “Mu manani.” 

She reached towards the sky and pulled lightning in by her hands and struck the soldiers before she ran. There were more outside. She was more powerful than any soldier of darkness. But there were too many. Hadiza knew she would die this day.

But she resolved to meet them none the less. Her tattoo began to glow. Her eyes turned white and lightning dance from her fingers. Then she whispered. “Ava, I love you with all my heart. Never forget.”

Then she began to run towards her fate.

 

A few hours later an African couple in their hut was startled when the heard a baby ’s cry. For they had no child. They heard the noise coming from their bed as they ate their dinner.

Amali motioned for his wife to stay, and he moved towards the bed. He saw the bundle wrapped on the bed and he slowly walked up to open it. When he did, he saw skin the color of red dust, eyes the color of rain, and thick dark curly hair. And a note.

He read the single sentence. Her name was Ava. “Nnenna, come.” He spoke.

When she did, she saw the little bundle and tears formed. They had been barren for 5 years and had lost hope of ever being parents. “A gift from the ancestors.” She whispered as she took the child in her arms as she began to sing and rock her.  

A smile crept across Nnenna ’s face as she lifted the now crying infant. “Someone needs a change.”

The next morning Ava ’s was inducted into the tribe and a blessing ceremony was held.

-----------------------------000000000000000000000000000000----------------------------------

 

            Ava grew fast learning the ways of her tribe. She was funny and bright and loved dearly by most who encountered her. Nnenna took great pride in calling the child daughter. She knew that she would come to be a great force in the world. Even at 8 she was a servant to her people. Always helping those who couldn ’t do it for themselves.

One day Ava ran into their hut in tears and a panic, which was not out of the normal for them. The young child seemed to be completely sensitive to the pain of people and creatures alike. So, her mother never looked up when she heard the soft whimpers of her little one. “What is it this time Ava? Are you alright?”

“No, mama, look.” The little girl spoke. “I don ’t know how they got there. They just appeared.”

Ava held out her arms. Nnenna heard the fear in the child ’s voice. As she turned, she noticed markings on her face, her arms and even some peeking out from under her garment on her chest. Nnenna didn ’t know what to think. She just stared.

“Mama? Mama, what ’s wrong?” Said Ava. Her fear began to build.

Nnenna was nonresponsive and still. Ava began to cry hysterically not understanding her mother ’s silence. Suddenly the water in the bucket Nnenna was holding began to whirl around the room, jarring her from her thoughts. It was then she realized that the action was directly linked to Ava ’s tears, so she dropped the bucket and bent down to sooth her child.

Once in her mother ’s arms, Ava immediately began to calm. With her subsiding emotions, the water dropped to the floor.

Nnenna lay her child down for a nap and went to get the village spiritual counselor.

 

“Has she always displayed these abilities?” asked Erin.

“No counselor.  This is the first I have seen of her powers or the tattoos.” Nnenna said.

“Hmm. Well, I think the council of the Avatars should be alerted. Are you familiar with the prophecy of the last Avatar?” Erin spoke softly as to not wake the sleeping child.

“You think she is that child?” said Nnenna. She was completely in shock.

“Yes, I do. She must be trained. You and she will be sent to live with the council of Avatars. Be warned. She will be trained harder than any Avatar before her.”

“Do I have to send her? She is just a child.” Nnenna said not knowing what the future would hold for her little one.

“If you don ’t, word will spread. She will be hunted and eventually killed to keep the prophecy of the last Avatar from coming true.”

Nnenna knew that this was her only option.  Ever since she lost Amali life had been a little hard to go through. But easier with her little one by her side. So, she resolved to try and get Ava to understand their life change as best she could. This was going to be a crazy adventure and she knew she was as ready as she would ever be.

 

“But why must we leave mama? I love living here with you.” A very confused Ava asked her mom as she packed. They were to be sent away immediately.

“Ava, my love. It is not safe for us to live here anymore. If we don ’t leave very bad people will come and then it will be too late.” She explained. “I am going to take you to the spiritual advisor to cover up your tattoos. You must never speak of them.  Understand?”

“Yes mama. Are we leaving because of me?” Ava asked staring at her new tattoos.

“No, my love. Some people are just hurt and angry and they take it out on others. Special people like you. Nnenna spoke. “Come my love, we must leave now.”

So, they left in the middle of the night. Never to be seen at the village for years to come.

 

  ----------------------------00000000000000000000000000000000000---------------------------

Xena sat staring at the lake. They were only a day ’s ride from the amazon nation. Yet, she felt like it was taking ages. The silence was driving her insane. Her normally talkative companion had not spoken one word since Xena had discovered her private scroll. She replayed the scene again in her mind, wishing it had not happened.

Gabrielle had been down at the hot spring relaxing near their campsite. It had been a great find. Welcomed after the last few days they had had. Fending off 2 armies at once. King Althos had not mentioned that before they reached his palace. But she did not leave him. She had promised. They had survived.

Now they were a week away from the amazon nation and trying to relax. She had enjoyed the hot springs first, while Gabrielle set up camp. Then they switched while she went to hunt for their dinner. Quail was on the menu tonight.  And there she sat, cooking the birds. Then Gabrielle returned. Nice soak then?” Xena said with a smile not looking up.

Yes. It was glorious. I never realized how much I still enjoy a hot bath.” Gabrielle said as she quickly dressed. They ate in silence. Content to feel each other s presence. Once dinner was done, they cleaned working like a well-oiled machine. Then they relaxed into their normal habits, Xena sharpening her stone, Gabrielle, though not quite as often, writing in her scroll.

Then Gabrielle began to look for her cloak. She couldn t find it. Xena, I think I left my cloak by the hot spring. I am going to get it.” She said as she left.

Ok but be quick Gabrielle.” Xena spoke without looking up from her sharpening.

Gabrielle placed her scroll gently on the log and was off to retrieve her cloak. Not 2 seconds after she left the scroll fell off and rolled open. Xena did not mean to pry into her privacy. But she saw her name and it made her curious, so she began to read from the beginning.

          So about today…

Today, well today was a good day. We get to relax in a hot spring no less. I think we deserve it after helping to fight off 2 armies for King Althos. I know Xena is tired. She does not like to show it, but I know her as well as my own heart. She needs rest. But she cannot request.  So, I must insist. She doesn t notice this of course. Just as well. I would not want her to feel like I was doing it because she needed it. If she did. She would surely refuse. Then she would never rest. So, I pretend that these things, rest, relaxation and private time for me, are all things that I need. I don t mind really.

I love her so. But I feel l so confused. Like a coward one day and then like I made the right decision the next. I am so in love with her. Every time I think I am over this, like I can let go, she stares at me with those crystal blue eyes, and I know. There can never be another who holds my heart as she does. But I know she would not allow herself to love me, even if she did feel the same way. Bearing this is hard. But I belong with her. Even if we are, just friends. Why are these feeling surfacing so aggressively now? Normally, I can suppress them so well. As long as we don t talk about those she beds. I am so thankful that she does not have the habits of other women. Although I suppose I am not guiltless myself. I guess I am no different than any other. My needs scream at me when I ignore them. She never suspects because, in her eyes, I would never. So, I hide behind the assumptions. I keep up the image she has of me in that aspect. Afraid it would ruin the last chance I had of hope to be with her. There was one other, woman, who stood out. I will never forget her. Shiana. She loved me so well during my stay I almost forgot about Xena falling in love with Antony, right in front of me. She distracted me. Made me laugh, listened to my stories, looked at me like I was the most beautiful woman in the world. She knew that I am in love with Xena. But she said that, she could not help herself. And when, when she made love to me. I almost forgot the world because she loved me so well. Almost.

                   Signed, the lovesick bard,

                   Gabrielle

Xena was so shocked she almost didn t hear Gabrielle s footsteps coming. She quickly rolled the scroll up and replaced it where it had sat once more. Later when she was certain the bard was asleep, she stared up at the night sky as tears began to fall. This was complete revelation to Xena. She had suspected the bard had feelings only recently. But for her to know her heart and soul so well. Then to also learn that she had been sleeping with other women. She felt the anger set fire to her chest.  She could barely breathe thinking of Shiana filling Ga… She did not want to finish the thought. She knew she would have to refuse her. Gabrielle was right. She did not deserve her. They could get through this.

That was days ago. The days ride seemed to have contradicted the rest of the trip to the amazons and went by rather quickly.

Gabrielle could tell something was up with Xena. She had come back from the lake the days ago and saw Xena reading her private scroll. Xena still not aware that Gabrielle had become quiet enough to evade even her hearing. Gabrielle had watched as the emotions played across her face as she read her last entry. She did not know what would follow. But she decided to let Xena speak of it if she needed to. So, she purposely made noise when she walked up. But Xena said nothing. So, she didn ’t either.

Now there she was sitting in the queen ’s hut resting. While Xena stalled Argo and spoke with Ephiny. Soon Xena came in and brought dinner. They ate in silence.

Gabrielle washed up and changed into her shift and sat down to write. While Xena did the same and began to sharpen her sword. She looked up and saw the top of a blonde head as Gabrielle wrote. She stared. Wondered what was going on in that head of hers.

Gabrielle felt Xena ’s eyes and spoke without looking up. For fear of revealing more of her secrets. “Is something wrong Xena?”

Xena spoke one sentence through gritted teeth. “Did you love Shiana?”

“What?” said Gabrielle. More shocked than anything.

“I will ask once more. Did you love Shiana?” said Xena.

Gabrielle knew there was no more hiding. So, she slowly placed her quill and scroll down and looked up. Then she spoke.  “I will speak honestly. I saw you reading my scroll. Xena, I am sorry that you found that. But all of it is true. To answer your question. Yes. I loved Shiana. But not how she needed, and not how I love you.

“Gabrielle…” Xena began.

“No Xena. Don ’t waste your breath. I know you can not be with me. I knew it the second I first fell for you. I won ’t ask you to. I would want you to want to be with me of your own free will. But I accept that you can ’t.” said Gabrielle surprising Xena.

Xena had few words after that. Gabrielle waited for a response. “Thank you for understanding. I could never be with you, like that.” She said as she pulled the blonde close and hugged her. She could never tell Gabrielle that she was in love as well.

“I know Xena. I am going to sleep in the guest room.” She spoke in a whisper.

She grabbed her scroll and quill and walked away. Leaving Xena standing there. She did not see the tears streaming down Xena ’s face.

Gabrielle lay in her bed, staring up at the ceiling.  Convincing herself that she had been preparing for this moment. She knew the outcome. But her heart began to break regardless. Xena would not be with her. She recalled the vision of Shiana loving her. She wondered why it could not be Xena.

In the same fashion, Xena lay in bed staring at the ceiling. Thinking to herself. ‘She admitted to loving Shiana.’  It ripped her heart out. She didn ’t understand how she could.

 

----------------------------------000000000000000000000000----------------------------------------

 

Ava and her mother arrived at the home of the avatars and were quickly taken to their living quarters. Passing the halls and corridors they noticed that classes were currently in session.

Ava stopped at one of the classrooms where the students were practicing water manipulation. She was thoroughly fascinated.

“Sir, what are they doing?” asked Ava in a small voice bringing Erin to a halt.

“They are learning to manipulate their water abilities.” Erin spoke bending down to Ava ’s level. “You see all these are young, jr. Avatars were born with abilities. This group was born with water abilities. But only one will become a senior avatar. There is one for each element. Earth, Air, water and fire. The jr. avatars aspire to be assistant to the senior avatars and the rest go on to help with healing around the world. But we don ’t know until Ascension Day, when they all graduate.” Erin smiled at the child noticing that the list of questions in her mind began to grow. She already showed much maturity for her age.

“So, you mean. I may be able to manipulate one of the elements and become a jr. avatar too?” Ava asked with excitement in her eyes.

“No child.” Ava ’s head dropped along with her heart. “Ava, listen, you are very special. Not just to your family and this establishment but to the world. You, my dear will be able to manipulate all the elements, when you are ready. Learn well little one. We all trust in you.” It would be years before Ava would understand the meaning behind his last statement.

Weeks, months and years went by, and one by one Ava mastered the basics and excelled at each element. Fire gave her the most trouble. But in time she mastered that as well. She was a prodigy. Mastering the elements before her 13th birthday. But her identity was kept a secret even from her peers. They were made to believe she had the lowest marks in her class, so she was able to switch elements under the guise of the council trying to find her natural element she was born with. This way she moved from one class to the other with no one suspecting. The other children were as cruel to her as she was caring to them. Yet she never wavered in caring for others. She had only one friend. But she was a dear one. She and Anaiya had met the first day of her earth lessons (Anaiya ’s birth element) and they were inseparable ever since.

“Hey, it ’s your birthday tomorrow!” said Ava. “Well, there ’s a test I have to take, and I won ’t be able to be there.”

“What?!” yelped Anaiya, punching Ava in the arm. “You promised. It ’s my 13th. I am officially a teen now!” she said anger filling her adolescent voice.

“I know, but Nnenna and Erin say I have to.” She said looking her friend in the eyes as she grabbed her shoulder. “But I brought you your gift.”

Anaiya eyed the object wrapped in brown parchment. Though she was still upset, she swiped it from Ava ’s hand. She unwrapped the present and she saw a violet crystal attached to a gold rope.

“It ’s an Amani Crystal. It means peace and tranquility. It ’s from my people. They use it to meditate and calm themselves when they need answers.” Ava spoke. “It was my first crystal. Now it ’s yours.”

Anaiya was touched. Ava was the only person who made her feel so special.

“It ’s beautiful Ava, I love it.” She hugged her best friend as tight as she could. “I still think you should be with me tomorrow.”

“I don ’t know. I think somethings going on Naiya. Something that Nnenna and Erin aren ’t telling me.” Ava spoke feeling confused. She gaged Anaiya ’s reaction to her statement.  She felt she could trust her with anything, so she decided to let her in on her secret. “Can you keep a secret Naiya?” Ava spoke with a whisper. Although they were in their secret spot in the nearby woods, she could not be too careful.

“Sure.” Anaiya said bouncing with anticipation.

“Well, you know how I get bottom marks in all the courses?” she spoke. Anaiya nodded.

“Yes. But your natural element will show up soon. Some people ’s don ’t show up until they are almost adults.” Anaiya said trying to make Ava feel better.

“Well, that is just it. I don ’t get bottom marks. Nnenna and Erin only make it look that way so that I could jump from element to element and train harder than anyone. But they won ’t tell me why.” Ava spoke feeling happy her secret was out.

But when she looked up into violet eyes, she saw the laughter in Anaiya ’s eyes. “Right Ava.” She laughed. “That would mean that you could manipulate every element.” She almost fell over laughing.

“It ’s true Naiya.” Ava spoke.

Anaiya felt angry. If it was true than how could she call her best friend and not tell her.

“If it ’s true than prove it!” she said feeling hurt.

Ava could see that she was upset. So, she stood and walked to a nearby clearing. Making the triangle sign with her hand she focused and breathed.

Then stretched out her right hand called earth to her, she stretched her left out and called fire. Both hands in front called water to her. Then her head lifted to the sky and called a ball of air. She maintained the elements for 30 seconds and then with a wave of both hands sideways one over the other they were extinguished.

“Ava. That was amazing!” squealed Anaiya. “You ’re the most amazing avatar ever. But why didn ’t you tell me?”  

“Naiya I couldn ’t. Nnenna and Erin made me promise.”

Anaiya considered the strictness that had always come from Nnenna and Erin, and she couldn ’t be mad.

“Ok. But it ’s strange stuff that they would want to keep this a secret. I mean you have major juice Ava!” Said Anaiya. “Unless….” Anaiya ’s words trailed off as she thought of the legend told to all the avatars since the beginning.

“What is it, Naiya?” Ava said realizing she knew something.

“Well, you know the story of the Avatar ’s final form, right?” she said.

“Well, Nnenna told me the part about the great evil evolving over time. But she never tells me how it gets destroyed though. But what does that have to do with me?” she asked earnestly.

“Well papa told me the story of the final form of the Avatar. This person would be able to travel through time. To prevent potential evils from emerging to make the original great evil stronger. Then one day, this Avatar would travel to a particular time to have the final battle to decide the fate of all time and space. Papa said this Avatar would be able to wield all four elements.” She spoke staring at Ava in awe.

‘Why wouldn ’t Nnenna tell me if I was? ’ thought Ava. She had to know. She stood pulling Anaiya up with her.

“I have to go. Naiya, promise me you will keep this to yourself.” She pleaded.

“Of course. But where are you going?” she inquired.

“To find Nnenna. I have to know the truth.” She said as she turned and ran to the room she and her mother were staying in.

 A few hours later Ava knew the truth. About the Avatars, herself and her birth.

“You mean, you aren ’t my birth mother?” Ava asked feeling stunned.

“No child. You appeared in our hut when you were just a newborn, with only a note that said your name. We never met your birth mother. But now looking back, it must have been her magic that brought you to us.”

“What else Nnenna? I want to know more about my birth and my mother.” Ava begged.

“There is nothing else child. That is all I know.” Nnenna said with sorrow.

A sadness filled Ava. She wanted desperately to know the face of her mother. Just then Nnenna remembered that the witches were able to induce visions of your past, show you things you didn ’t know you remembered.

“Come with me.” She said grabbing Ava by the arm and pulled her down the hall, they picked up the pace and quickly walked outside to the forest. They walked for what seemed like forever until they came to a circle of small huts. Immediately they were surrounded by the coven, all of them dressed in brown leather and face paint markings.

“State your business!!” said a tall woman with red hair and hazel eyes.

“This is Ava. The child of prophecy.” Nnenna stated nodding toward her.

Audible gasps could be heard in the group. The red-haired witch looked at Ava and stared through narrowed eyes. She had heard many claims. She had to be sure. She spoke.

“Protection circle now!” Suddenly the group surrounded them in a circle. They put their hands together in a praying form and then lifted them in the air in a v forming a force field only Ava could see. She marveled at the colors of the dome, mesmerized and smiling. The Red haired watched as the child marveled, only children of witches could see the forcefield, even non magical ones. Then she spoke to Nnenna as she walked up to the pair.

“I am called Salaigh. I am queen of the coven of the west wood. If she is the child of prophecy, prove it.” She spoke.

Nnenna turned to Ava. “Ok little one. I want you to call the elements. Just like we practiced.” She said looking at her.

“But Nnenna, you told me never to do that.” Ava spoke confused.

“Listen my child, do as I ask. If you want to know of your mother and your birth. Trust me ok little one?”

The preteen nodded.

Everyone stepped back.

Her hands shaking slightly, she made a triangle sign with her hand she focused and breathed.

Then stretched out her right hand called earth to her, she stretched her left out and called fire. Both hands in front called water to her. Then her head lifted to the sky which called a ball of air. She maintained the elements and then her eyes and tattoos began to glow. She lifted off the ground slightly and pushed out with force. Then as the lights in her eyes ad tattoos glow began to fade, the elements extinguished, and she touched her feet to the earth again.

When her eyes refocused, the entire coven including the queen were bowed in submission.

“Come with me my child.” Salaigh spoke as she stood.

They brought her to the queen ’s hut where, she sat in the middle of a smaller circle of witches that made up the coven ’s council. They held hands and chanted. “Oju iwoye, Oju iwoye, Oju iwoye, Oju iwoye!”

Ava was instructed to sit and form the triangle with her hand and focus. Breathing deep she did as she was told.

Meanwhile a nervous Nnenna waited outside. She knew the witches would not harm her. But she could not help but be worried for her little one.

As the chant went on Ava ’s consciousness was thrust into her newborn body and she looked up at the face of her mother just as she had when she was born.

She saw the smile of her mother. She felt her embrace. She felt all the sensations and nourishment of her first meal, her first bath. She heard her mother call her name out for the first time. She felt her eyes and tattoos glow for the first time. She saw her mother place her down and wave her hand as she disappeared. Then she saw as if she were a spectator. Watching as her mother defended her, unto death, as the soldiers of darkness came to take her.

Where is the child?” one of the soldiers yelled with a growl.

Hadiza did not answer. She closed her eyes and the tattoo of the triquetra on her chest began to glow.  She made a circle in her hands in the air and spoke. Mu manani.” 

She reached towards the sky and pulled lightning in by her hands and struck the soldiers before she ran. There were more outside. She was more powerful than any soldier of darkness. But there were too many. Hadiza knew she would die this day.

But she resolved to meet them none the less. Her tattoo began to glow. Her eyes turned white and lightning dance from her fingers. Then she whispered. Ava, I love you with all my heart. Never forget.”

Then she began to run towards her fate.

When Ava came out of the vision her body collapsed to the floor. The vision proving too much for her body. The other witches went and retrieved Nenna as Salaigh lay the child down on sleeping furs.

Nnenna came into the hut and immediately began to worry when she saw the motionless child.

“Ava!” she whimpered bending down to her knees next to her.

“The child is fine.” Salaigh spoke sensing Nenna ’s worry. “The magic of the vision proved to be too much for her body.”

“What did she see?” Asked Nnenna curiously.

“I don ’t know. She will have to be the one to tell us. If she wishes to. The vision is for the receiver." Salaigh said matter of factly. “She will sleep until morning. You two may stay here tonight. Rest I have prepared sleeping furs with you next to mine.”

The next morning Ava awoke with a start. The last thing she remembered was seeing her mother running to fight the soldiers of darkness. Now she knew. Her mother had saved her life.

“Nnnn-eeenna..” she spoke weakly from her sleeping furs. Hearing her little one ’s voice Nnenna sat up abruptly and was immediately sitting on Ava ’s sleeping furs beside her.

“Morning my little love.” She spoke softly. “Are you ok?”

“Yes Nnenna. I am fine.” Ava spoke groggily rubbing the sleep from her eyes.   “I saw her Nnenna, I saw my mother.”

A painful smile graced Nnenna ’s face as she hugged Ava. “Well, let ’s go get breakfast and you can tell me about her if you like.”

By the end of breakfast, she had told Nnenna every detail she could remember.

“So you, you really are the child of prophecy my little one.” She spoke quietly as Ava retold the story to the coven.

 

-----------------------000000000000000000000000000000000------------------------------

            Ava ’s destiny realized, she was immediately moved and sent to live with the witches. Now that the prophecy was confirmed, she began her training as a witch. She learned well. Mastering her powers before the age of 15. After graduation, Anaiya was allowed to become her jr. avatar. Although she had the talent to be the next fully realized avatar, she chose to be Ava ’s second. So, as Ava mastered her magic, she was there by her side helping on the missions that they were allowed to accompany until Ava was fully realized witch.

Then when Ava was 17 a new witch and her daughter Anessa, were added to the coven. From the moment Ava set eyes on Anessa, she was drawn to her. They began spending a lot of time together. Ava began feeling things she had never felt before. This was not the love she felt for Anaiya. It was something more.

“She ’s in love with you, you know.” Anaiya spoke with a knowing smile, seemingly reading Ava ’s thoughts.

“What do you mean, who is in love with me?” Ava asked genuinely not understanding.

“Nessa. She loves you. And I ’d bet by the way you look at her, you ’re in love with her too.” She said with a chuckle.

“I don ’t think so. She could have anyone she wanted, and I don ’t think that ’s me.” Ava said with sadness in her voice. “Beside Akin seems to like her.”

“So, you aren ’t going to tell her?” Anaiya asked.

“Tell me what?” Anessa asked walking up to the two as they fished.

“Nothing.” Said Ava as she stared at Anaiya with daggers. But Anaiya just laughed and dunked her hands in the water.

“Why do you two fish like that? We have fishing rods you know.” Anessa chuckled.

“Anessa, why don ’t you let Ava teach you to fish as she does?” she spoke with a mischievous grin.

“What, you ’re leaving?” Ava said pleading with her eyes.

“What ’s the matter you afraid you ’re a bad teacher?” Anessa spoke in a challenging tone. “Besides, you have been teaching me how to fight, why not fishing? I feel better knowing you ’re by my side.”

“Have fun love birds!” Anaiya yelled as she walked away.

“Love birds? What does she mean by that?” Anessa stared at Ava inquisitively.

But Ava was too wrapped up to notice. Every time she was near her it seemed like this happened. She stared at her dark velvet skin, her full lips shaped like a horizontal bow and her jet-black hair thick full and curly.

“Earth to Ava.” Said Anessa waiving her hand in front of her face. “Why did she call us that?”

“Nothing, you know Naiya, always playing around.” She said hoping Anessa would drop the subject.

Anessa could tell something was going on in Ava ’s head, but she couldn ’t tell what. She thought back to the first moment Ava made her laugh. They were sitting by the lake and had been talking for hours. She knew as soon as she reached out to touch those gorgeous red brown locs, while staring into eyes the color of rain, that Ava had her heart. She hadn ’t said anything because she was not sure Ava felt the same way. But she had resolved that morning to find out. Now here she was, side by side with Ava, trying to build up the courage to ask.

A few hours later they were eating their catch in front of the lake watching the sunset.

“Shouldn ’t you be getting back? I am sure Akin will be around soon.” Ava spoke sadly.

Anessa felt like she had been punched in the stomach. Wasn ’t she enjoying this time with her? She felt bold as she spoke. “Why are you always trying to get rid of me?”

Ava felt like an idiot. Stupid, stupid, stupid!! She scolded herself. “It ’s just that, I don ’t want to take all your time and I know Akin likes you. And even though I love you so much it ’s not fair for me to take all your time.” Ava offered not realizing what she just said.

“Well still, that is no excuse to…” Anessa ’s words trailed off as she realized the words she just heard.

“What is it Nessa?” Ava said responding to Anessa ’s shocked look.

“Did you, just say you loved me?” she asked.

Panic set in Ava ’s brain. Had she said that out loud?

“I ’m sorry. I didn ’t mean to offend you.” She said with a sadness.

Anessa looked down for a long moment then she looked up and spoke. “How do you love me?”

“Nessa, look, I can ’t, I mean, I know you are with Akin and that he loves you too, but I just don ’t know how to make these feelings go way and..” she never got to finish. Anessa pulled her face in and gently kissed her lips.

When the kiss ended, she looked into Anessa ’s hazel eyes, and her cheeks began to heat. Flushed she could barely get out her words. “

“But what about Akin, he loves you, and he can give you children and a safe life.”

“Do you think that ’s what I want?” not waiting for an answer she looked up into to rain colored eyes. “I don ’t want a normal safe life. I want you. And I am guessing since you kissed me back. You want me too.” She smiled.

No words came to Ava. Her heart was so full of joy. She leaned in and kissed Anessa deeply.

 

---------------------------00000000000000000000000000000000000000-------------------------------

“But Xena, if it ’s that ’s long of a mission, why can ’t I go with you?” Gabrielle asked frustrated.

Xena spun around to face Gabrielle. “No, It ’s too dangerous!! Don ’t argue with me on this because you aren ’t going to change my mind! Got it!!”  Xena said not meaning to raise her voice.

She hated to lie to Gabrielle, but she felt like she didn ’t have a choice. Gabrielle needed the space to see that they couldn ’t be together in love. So, she made up a mission to give her time to realize.

“Alright.” It was the only word Gabrielle spoke. Xena knew she was furious whenever she gave one-word answers. She knew Gabrielle was hurting and couldn ’t understand. But she pushed on, her expression ever the stoic warrior.  She grabbed her bags and kissed Gabrielle ’s cheek and led Argo out of the stable and mounted. “I love you, Gabrielle.” The last words she would speak to her for a while. So, she turned Argo and kicked her into a run past the sentries. As Gabrielle watched Xena ride away, she was saddened. She knew in her heart that there was no mission, that Xena wanted her to get over being in love with her. Even though it hurt she would honor that. Even if it would be 4 months until she returned.

A few weeks later she and Ephiny were walking to her hut. When two sentries walked up with a strange woman. Her hair was locked, and her skin was dust colored and her eyes the color of rain. She fell into those eyes immediately.

“My queen, Ephiny, this woman was found on our lands. She said she has not been here before but won ’t explain to anyone but you.” The young blond spoke addressing Gabrielle.

Their eyes locked and it seem like forever until Ephiny cleared her throat breaking the spell between the two of them. The woman wore black leather pants a black shirt and a long leather coat and gloves. Tow brown leather straps crossed her chest leading to her curvaceous hips.

“Who are you? Why have you come?” Gabrielle spoke.

“My name is Ava. I am from farther away than you could imagine, and I have come to secure this time.” Ava spoke Knowing there would be questions.

Gabrielle looked to Ephiny, and she nodded before speaking. “Come, we will discuss this in the throne room.” As they walked the sentries were informed to stand guard while they talked.

“So, let me get this straight, there is a potential evil in this time and place, and you have come to safeguard it, and somehow it has to do with the amazons? Did I get that right?” Gabrielle looked at Ava with narrowed eyes.

“Yes, every word.” The warrior spoke.

“There ’s got to be more to it than that!! Or it ’s a trick to get to you!!” Ephiny spoke sternly as she got into Ava ’s personal space.

Ava met Ephiny ’s eyes and spoke.   “I am not allowed to tell you more than that. And if you don ’t stop staring at me, I ’m going to take your eyes out.”

“Not allowed, what do you mean, not allowed?” asked Gabrielle curiously.

“Well, I am governed by a sort of council and for your own safety, I can only tell you I am here to help. I know this sounds strange. But I need to camp on your grounds for a while. Learning as much as I can about this area will help me defeat my opponent.” Ava spoke.

Gabrielle thought as she looked into Ephiny ’s eyes. Looking at her regent she could tell she was against it. Yet still there was something about Ava that drew her in. So, she spoke. “I will grant your request.”

“My queen!” Ephiny raised her voice not meaning to. “She is a stranger to this land!”

“I know Ephiny. But it is my command.” Gabrielle spoke nothing else as she didn ’t feel she could explain the feeling she had.

Ephiny studied her queen. Then she offered a request. “Then might I suggest she stay in the village.”

“Thank you Ephiny.” Ava offered.

“Don ’t thank me, I just want to keep an eye on you myself.”

Gabrielle couldn ’t help but chuckle at Ephiny ’s over protectiveness.

“Come Ava, you can stay in the hut next to mine.” She said guiding Ava. Without having to lookback at Ephiny knowing there was a scowl on her face.

 

“It had been a few weeks since Ava had arrived. How are you liking the amazon terrain?” Ephiny asked.

“I am learning it pretty well. One of the hardest to memorize in my line of work.” She spoke knowing Ephiny was still trying to get her to talk. She began to warm up to Ava. But she still did not completely trust her. Ava laughed to herself.

“What is so funny?” Ephiny smirked.

“Still don ’t trust me yet?” she smiled.

“Well.” Ephiny spoke softening a little. “She is my Queen. But I love her as much more. She is one of the best friends I have ever had, and I want to keep her safe. Xena would expect nothing less.”

“Ahh Xena. The great Warrior Princess.” Ava smiled. She had hoped to meet her. She had never wanted to meet any legends before. But Xena was different. She felt connected to her somehow. Reading Gabrielle ’s scrolls in the future was her favorite pass time.

“You know about Xena?” Ephiny asked curiously.

“Of course I do. The Warrior Princess is legend.” She spoke trying to divert the question.

“Ephiny. Where have you two been? Dinner is almost ready.” Gabrielle said impatiently as her stomach growled.

Jut then Ava ’s skin started tingling and she heard a barely audible whirring in the air and recognized it as arrows flying straight at Ephiny and Gabrielle. She was too far so she did a back hand flip and caught both arrows just in time.

Just then two sentries ran up with a soldier. “My queen, my regent. The warlord he works for was trying to kill you. We caught him trying to escape.”

“Well put him in the holding cell.” Commanded Gabrielle. She and Ephiny both turned to Ava and hugged her furiously, grateful to be alive.

From then on, the three were inseparable.

-----------------------------------0000000000000000000000000000------------------------------

 

Anessa walked along the lake near the coven ’s village. Ava had told her to meet her there. She wasn ’t sure what for. They had been a couple now for 3 years and she could not believe how much she loved the girl with the rain-colored eyes. People took a while to warm up to the idea of the two of them, but they had come around eventually. Now they were a team as well as a couple. She even got permission to go on missions with Ava and Anaiya sometimes. As long as they weren ’t traveling through time. Now that Ava was a fully realized Avatar, life with her was interesting. But Ava insisted they would have a life together. And she believed with all her heart that Ava could do anything she set her mind to.

“Waiting for me beautiful?” Ava spoke holding her hand out to Anessa.

“Hi, you ’re late.” Anessa smirked when she was jostled out of her thoughts.

“I am sorry I had to finish.” She spoke.

Ava felt she could never get over the glow Anessa ’s chocolate skin took on in the sunlight. And those gorgeous full lips. She had never met another woman quite like her. She looked into her glowing hazel eyes as the sun began to set and she held out her hand.

Anessa graciously placed her hand in Ava ’s as she was led into a cave. As she stepped further into the cave, she noticed flowers were strung from the ceiling. Fur blankets were laid out next to a fire and a small gift sat next to a tray of food. Then she noticed 2night gowns and fresh clothes off to the side on a rock.

“What is all this Ava?” asked Anessa.

“Come sit with me gorgeous. I need to say some things to you.” Ava spoke softly but hesitantly.

“Oh no, you ’re not going on a month-long mission again, are you?” said Anessa irritation welling up.

“No, no. Nothing like that.” Said Ava as she wiped her hands nervously on the furs. “Listen Nessa, I need to say Some things to you, and I need you to just listen ok.” Nessa nodded curious as to what was going on.

“Anessa, since I met you, I felt a closeness to you. You have brought such joy and meaning to my life. I thought the only thing I would know in this life was my responsibility as the ultimate Avatar. But now I know what love is. You are my best friend and lover all in one. I love you with all my heart Anessa. I guess what I mean to say is.”  Deep breath she thought to herself.

“Anessa, I want to spend our lives together. Will you be my wife?” She finished feeling like she was out of breath.

Anessa felt she would faint. When had they were younger, she always dreamed of this. But she thought Ava would never ask. She was content to just be hers. But she never expected this. It was more than she had ever dreamed. She should have known. Ava did everything in her own time, and no one could ever rush her. Now they were 22 and on the precipice of their lives together. Then Anessa noticed the worried look on Ava ’s face and realized she had not answered.

“Ava, you are the most amazing thing in my life. I would love nothing more than to be your wife.” She said with a tear falling down her cheek.

Then Ava turned and retrieved the small package and told Anessa to open it. Inside she found a small silver ring with a sapphire diamond in the middle.

“Ava, it ’s beautiful. Where did you find it?” she asked.

“Mmm. Now that is my little secret.” she smiled as she put the ring on Anessa ’s hand. Then she pulled her in for a gentle kiss.

------------------------------00000000000000000000000000000-------------------------

 There was a crowd gathering around the sparring ring as Gabrielle and Ava continued their lesson. It had been a month since Gabrielle began her lesson with Ava. She was improving immensely. She was turning out to be her best student.

Ava lunged forward but Gabrielle dodged. Ava had her backed into a corner. So, she took a deep breath and ran forward and bounded backwards off Ava ’s shoulders into a flip and landed behind her. Then she quickly bent and turned removing Ava ’s legs from beneath her, winning her first fight since their lessons began.

Suddenly the small crowd that had began to gather cheered. Gabrielle extended her hand to Ava to help her up and she graciously took it.

“Good job.” Ava spoke as she stood with a smile.

“I beat you, I finally beat you!” Gabrielle yelled as she jumped up and down.

“You have become one of my best students.” Said Ava, remembering the first lesson she had given Anessa all those years ago. They stood there in a trance until Ephiny ’s voice broke it.

“Alright everyone back to your duties!!” she smiled. “My queen.” She said walking up to the two of them.

“Ephiny, you know I hate when you call me that.” Gabrielle frowned.

“Ok I ’m sorry. Can I make it up to you with Lunch by the lake?” She spoke.

“Sure, let me just tell Ava ok.” She said walking away from her.

Ephiny had been watching the two become close over the last month and a half. She was happy to see her queen smile again. Gabrielle was the dearest friend to her. When she had found out about Xena ’s rejection, she was worried for her. But Ava showed up and changed everything. Though she had not trusted her at first, she was beginning to see how amazing she was. She was also realizing that Gabrielle, was falling for her, but seemed to be unaware of the occurrence. She smiled to herself as she watched Gabrielle return to her.

“All set!”  Gabrielle spoke happily. “She ’s gonna have lunch with Anaiya since she just arrived here.”

Just as they arrived at the lake the sun was high in the sky, so they found a spot in the shade and settled down to eat. A half candle mark later they were laying back enjoying the sun, when Ephiny broke the silence.

“Gabrielle. I wanted to talk to you about something.” Ephiny said looking to the side.

“Ephiny, you could talk to me about anything.” Gabrielle smiled lovingly.

She took a deep breath and tried to speak thoughtfully and clearly. “Well, this is hard being that you and Xena are my closest friends.”

“Go on.” Gabrielle ’s eyes narrowed at her friend, curious as to why she was bringing up Xena. Now that she thought of it, she had barely thought of Xena since she left. Why was that? She thought to herself.

“Well, I never met two people more right for each other than you and Xena are. Then, when you told me, that you finally went for it with her and told her how you feel, I was so happy. But that was short lived when you said she rejected you and insisted that she couldn ’t be with you.” She said as she hung her head low.

“Is there a point to this Ephiny?” Gabrielle asked feeling more than a little irritated. She did not want to be reminded of Xena denying her.

“There is I promise.” Ephiny took a deep breath. “Well, I was worried. I know how deeply you felt. And when she left you here, I was scared. But then, Ava arrived. I didn ’t trust her at first. But now I am grateful she ’s here.”

“Why is that?” asked Gabrielle curiously.

“Well, since she arrived, I have seen a bright, beautiful and intelligent woman in you, a woman, I was convinced only appeared in the presence of Xena.” Ephiny spoke.

Suddenly, it hit Gabrielle like a ton of bricks. The more she spent time with Ava, the more she wanted to be near her. Suddenly familiar butterflies entered her stomach and her breathing quickened and her pulse raced.

Ephiny noticed the sudden physical changes in her friend. Recognized the revelation that she was falling for Ava in her eyes. So, she decided to push it further.

“How do you feel about Ava?” She asked.

“I don ’t know.” Came the answer so soft Ephiny could barely hear it.

“Gabrielle, I know you thought that Xena was the only one who could hold your heart. But looking at you by Ava ’s side, it speaks volumes to me. I see the same look in your eyes when you are with her. The look you had when you looked at Xena. I just thought you should consider that she could bring the same if not more joy if you were with her. I am sorry if I dropped a mountain on you. But I just wanted to speak from my heart.” Ephiny finished.

Gabrielle was at a loss for words. The thought had not occurred to her that she could have as strong of feelings for anyone else but Xena. But here she was. She needed time.

She turned to Ephiny. “Thank you Ephiny. I need, to think.” She said getting up and bringing Ephiny to her feet and hugging her before walking into the forest alone.

Ephiny prayed to Artemis that she had done the right thing by encouraging this. But by the Gods if Xena really was going to deny her friend real love, then Gabrielle deserved to be happy.

------------------------000000000000000000000000000000000000000000---------------------------

“Nessa, no arguing with me! You are not going on this mission with me.” Ava spoke louder than she meant to.

“I have been on the last 3 missions. Why not this one? The same danger exists as before.” Anessa bargained.

“Nessa. Look I know you are used to coming on missions. But this one is different. We are trying to get to the oracle of the legion ’s prophecy. The soldiers of darkness will be protecting it.  This a time before my birth. They know we are coming. They would use you against me.”  She spoke. “I can ’t fight if I am worried about you.”

“Alright.” Said Anessa through gritted teeth.

Ava knew she was furious by her one-word answer. She read the question in her wife ’s eyes.

“The council says it is the most important prophecy and they need it to make a big decision. I promise I will come back to you, my love. Always my Nessa.”  She spoke as she caressed Anessa ’s face. Then she walked out of their hut.

Unbeknownst to Ava, Anessa decided to defy her wife ’s wishes and go on the mission anyways. She had received a vision she had not told Ava about. A vision of her death on this mission if she did not attend. She loved Ava with all her heart. She knew her destiny, but more importantly she loved Ava with all her heart and could not let her die.

“Are you crazy?!” Anaiya yelled when she heard Anessa ’s plan. “Let me get this straight, you want me to sneak you in on this mission, while lying to my best friend. Ava would kill me!!”

“Naiya, you have to. If you,

 don ’t it could mean her death” she pleaded.

“What?” Anaiya yelled.

“I had a vision, and I saw her die, on this mission.” She spoke timidly.

“No.” Anaiya spoke at the revelation. She knew Ava would be furious.

“Alright. I will help” she said reluctantly.

-----------------------00000000000000000000000000000000------------------------------

“My lord, I had a vision.” Jonin spoke as he bowed to his lord.

“And what of this vision? Why is it more important than the others you have daily?” Daemon spoke. 

Daemon drank the wine his servant set before him. Jonin had become his most powerful apprentice in the past 5 years. His gift of sight was unmatched. He had kidnapped him from his last master when he raided the village. The visions showed so much detail to them, that they were almost always able to move around the prediction to obtain their desires. Or rather his.

“My lord, the Ultimate Avatar, she is going for the prophecy. The one we meant to conceal from her and the council.” Jonin spoke. “Their seer had a vision of the time and place it was first taken from the council of the Avatar ’s. Now they mean to go back in time to steal it my lord.

“I see.” Daemon spoke as his frustration steadily began to rise. “Well, then we will just have to beat her there. Send out spies. I want to know when they plan to leave. I will contact my soul ’s former vessel and warn her. When they arrive will be waiting for her.”

 

 

---------------------------------00000000000000000000000000000000000------------------------------

Xena patted Argo ’s back. Since she had left six months ago, she had been on something like a permanent vacation. She had made a few mistakes in the first few months. Including sleeping with Ares. Then she had made the next mistake of calling out Gabrielle ’s name during her climax. That sent him away indefinitely. It had been two months past the time she was supposed to return to Gabrielle. She had wanted to make her point. Make sure Gabrielle knew that she could not lose her, all because she desired her. “One more month or two should do it.” She spoke out loud. Then she decided it was fishing for today.

----------------------------000000000000000000000000000000000-----------------------------------------

Gabrielle and Ava ’s bond continued to grow as well as their feelings.  Neither one being brave enough to say something. But for all intents and purposes they were a couple. Even her amazons began to regard Ava as Gabrielle ’s new champion.

This day found Gabrielle and Ava completing their morning spar after they had completed their morning run. Gabrielle was an early riser these days thanks to Ava.

Ava was circling her prey waiting to make her move. When suddenly, Gabrielle saw an opening and flipped behind Ava and removed her footing with the swipe of her leg. Effectively knocking Ava to the ground.

“Don ’t you ever get tired of finding different ways to use that move.” She said chuckling.

“Nope. Besides, it ’s my best move.” She smiled offering her hand to Ava and pulling her up as she stared into Ava ’s rain-colored eyes.

“Hmm... You have become my best student.” She said smiling.

“My Queen.” Ephiny spoke from the side lines of the ring. “There are some documents that need your review and signature before they are delivered.”

“Ok.” She spoke, never breaking eye contact with Ava. “I ’ll be right there Ephiny.”

“Go on. Your people need you.” Ava said smiling. “I have to go for a brief sparring session with Anaiya. The last men sent from my home were very good. Gotta make sure she ’s staying sharp.” Ava spoke with a smile.

“Ok. But come dinner time, it ’s you, me and my hut. It ’s been a few weeks since we had a proper dinner together. I miss you.” She surprised herself with the admission.

“Yes, my queen.” Ava spoke with a smile knowing how much it irritated Gabrielle,

That earned her a punch in the arm. She chuckled.

 

Back in the Queen ’s hut Gabrielle reviewed and signed the documents rather quickly. Which made her sort of curious.  So, she spoke. “Eph, why did you have me sign these documents now? I could have signed this in the morning.” She spoke.

“Well, I noticed how close you and Ava have gotten even more close since we talked about, well you know.” Ephiny said seeing the blush in Gabrielle ’s cheek. “Have you told her?”

Ephiny prayed that the answer was yes. She knew now that it was love she saw in her queen ’s eyes. It made her heart leap to see it.

“ I, I, ….” Gabrielle ’s words trailed off.

“What is it Gabrielle?” Ephiny asked concerned.

“Ephiny, I am afraid. Telling Ava, I am in love with her…….. … wow I think that is the first time I admitted that out loud.” She spoke her breathing coming in short waves. “ Eph, I can see how she feels, but I need to hear the words, I am afraid if I admit it to her, she ’ll run.”

“Gabrielle, please, you are the happiest I have seen you since Xena left, Anaiya, tells me the same about Ava. We have all accepted this. Everyone accept you two that is. I even hear some of the amazons speak of her as your new champion.” Ephiny relayed the information.

“What?” Gabrielle smiled as she scrunched her nose. Ephiny chuckled at her friend.

Just then they heard a knock at the door. “Enter.” Gabrielle spoke. In walked Ava.

“Ephiny.” She spoke as Ephiny rose to greet her. “It seems You two talk a lot. It is time for dinner.” She smiled as she released Ephiny. “Mind if I steal Brie ’s company for a while?”

“No, you guys have a nice evening.” She smiled “Besides I have date.”

 

 

Ava had dinner brought in along with some wine. She spread a blanket on the ground and placed the dinner on it. Now they could lean against the bed and peer out of the side window. Perfect view of the stars.

“I love your idea of picnic. We can see out of the high side window perfectly.” Gabrielle ’s radiant smile made Ava ’s heart skip a beat.

“My wife loved the stars. We used to lay under them when were on a mission and decide what shapes we saw in them.” She spoke with a sadness.

“Xena and I used to do the same.” Gabrielle said with a sad smile of her own.

“Brie, what is it? You can tell me anything.” Ava said sensing her pain.

“I know, you know, that everything that me and Xena went through, I guess it still makes me sad to think that she could reject me like that.” She spoke. It had been seven months since Xena left her. She said it would only be four. It made her heart ache to think that Xena could leave her for so long. But she had. However, the Gods had smiled on her by leading Ava to the Amazons. She took more space in her heart every day.

“Come here.” she said as she pulled Gabrielle into her arms. She was ever so grateful that the council had told her and Anaiya to stay put in ancient times. Although it seemed that they knew something she didn ’t. She could feel it. Then she heard a small voice jostling her out of her thoughts.

“Ava, can I ask you something?” said Gabrielle hesitantly.

“Ok.” She responded.

“Well, I was wondering, how your wife died? I mean, you rarely mention her except to say what she liked and didn ’t like. I don ’t even know her name and I would like to if that ’s ok. Gabrielle spoke all in one breath.

Ava looked down into emerald eyes and saw sincerity. She rarely talked about her wife these days. Even to Anaiya. Especially not her death. But looking into those emerald, green orbs she could not deny her Brie anything. Not now.

 So, she began. “Her name, was Anessa. My Nessa.”

“Anessa.” Gabrielle spoke. “That ’s beautiful.”

Ava smiled. “She was the best thing to ever happened to me. Since I was a small child, I had certain responsibility to my people. I was even hunted hours after my birth. People always wanted something from me. I freely gave it. Aside from my mother and Anaiya, she was the person who understood me the most. When I met her, she was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. We were young. The moment I set eyes on that luscious dark skin, beautiful black hair, those gorgeous hazel eyes. My heart was hers. When we turned 22, I asked her to be my wife.”

Gabrielle could sense the story was not over. She remained silent and rubbed her back to encourage her to go on.

“There was a mission, I was to go on for the council. She wanted to come. I refused. I knew that the people we were up against knew of her and would try and use her against me. I knew I couldn ’t fight if I was worried about her. So, I put my foot down. The enemy knew we were coming.  Without my knowledge she had sought Anaiya ’s help to be placed on the mission secretly. I did not know it then, but Nessa had a vision, she has the gift of sight. She saw my death on this mission. She knew of my importance to my people. She was desperate to save me. Even if it meant her own death. So, when we made it to our destination, we got we came for. But the enemy was waiting. We had set a trap in the room we took from so we could lure them in. We managed to do so. But in order to trap them someone would have to stay inside and hold them back until the fire consumed the room or the plan would never work. One of the soldiers ran in to volunteer and shut and locked the door behind them peering through the window with bars on the door. The soldier removed her mask. It was Nessa.  

“I love you forever Ava. This was my choice.” She spoke and then turned to face the enemy. She succeeded in keeping them from escaping and the flames consumed the room and the building as well.

“Oh Ava. I am so sorry.” Gabrielle spoke hugging her tightly.

“It ’s ok Brie. I didn ’t have to speak of it. But I wanted you to know.” Ava said. “You know for a while I blamed myself.  But I know she made that choice on her own. It does not replace her. But it helps ease my pain when I think of the sacrifice she made, born of her love for me.”

“She was a brave woman.” Said Gabrielle.  There was a silence that lasted a few minutes before Ava spoke.

“I need to ask you something.” Ava said hesitantly. Although she was Glad for a change of subject, she was nervous. She had not been this nervous since she first admitted her feelings to Nessa. She smiled to herself.

“Go on.” Gabrielle spoke as she heard her heartbeat speed up.

“Well, Ephiny has agreed to act as queen for the next few weeks. She said she wouldn ’t mind. Everything seems quiet. And I would be leaving Anaiya here to protect everyone.” She spoke not making any sense at all. Gabrielle giggled at this display.

“What are you trying to say?” she smiled.

Deep breath Ava. “I want to take you away for a couple of weeks, to my cabin. Starting tomorrow. Do you think you ’d like that?”

Ava held her breath and closed her eyes waiting for a response. The she felt smooth fingertips on her cheeks and her eyes fluttered open.

“Uninterrupted time with you, sounds perfect.” Gabrielle said as she kissed her cheek and smiled.

---------------------------------0000000000000000000000000000000-------------------------------------

“You knew about this?” Gabrielle smiled at Ephiny as she packed her backpack.

“Ok Guilty. I just thought you guys deserved sometime alone. You both work so hard. Especially Ava with her missions for the council, on top of keeping us safe.” Ephiny was beyond excited to give the pair some time to themselves.

“You ’re hoping I tell her, aren ’t you?” Gabrielle narrowed her eyes at Ephiny. Before Ephiny could answer Ava walked in.

“Tell me what?” asked Ava with a smile.

“Nothing.” Said Gabrielle pointing daggers with her eyes at Ephiny.

“Ready Brie?” Ava said not pushing further. “I want to get there before mid-afternoon.”

Ava held out her hand in offering. Gabrielle stared, smiled and placed her hand in Ava ’s.

“I ’m ready.” Gabrielle spoke.

 

Ephiny and Anaiya waved goodbye to their friends happily.

“So how long do you think it will be before they kiss?” Anaiya spoke.

“You and your bets.” Ephiny chuckled. “Besides a getaway trip for these two. You know a lot more than kissing is going to happen on this trip.”

“You know, I knew I liked you Ephiny.” Anaiya giggled.

Just then a sentry arrived with a scroll for Ephiny.

She and Anaiya went back to her hut to read the scroll. When she opened it, her heart dropped. She immediately recognized Xena ’s handwriting.

-----------------------------------0000000000000000000000000000------------------------------

 

Anessa walked along the lake near the coven ’s village. Ava had told her to meet her there. She wasn ’t sure what for. They had been a couple now for 3 years and she could not believe how much she loved the girl with the rain-colored eyes. People took a while to warm up to the idea of the two of them, but they had come around eventually. Now they were a team as well as a couple. She even got permission to go on missions with Ava and Anaiya sometimes. As long as they weren ’t traveling through time. Now that Ava was a fully realized Avatar, life with her was interesting. But Ava insisted they would have a life together. And she believed with all her heart that Ava could do anything she set her mind to.

“Waiting for me beautiful?” Ava spoke holding her hand out to Anessa.

“Hi, you ’re late.” Anessa smirked when she was jostled out of her thoughts.

“I am sorry I had to finish.” She spoke.

Ava felt she could never get over the glow Anessa ’s chocolate skin took on in the sunlight. And those gorgeous full lips. She had never met another woman quite like her. She looked into her glowing hazel eyes as the sun began to set and she held out her hand.

Anessa graciously placed her hand in Ava ’s as she was led into a cave. As she stepped further into the cave, she noticed flowers were strung from the ceiling. Fur blankets were laid out next to a fire and a small gift sat next to a tray of food. Then she noticed 2night gowns and fresh clothes off to the side on a rock.

“What is all this Ava?” asked Anessa.

“Come sit with me gorgeous. I need to say some things to you.” Ava spoke softly but hesitantly.

“Oh no, you ’re not going on a month-long mission again, are you?” said Anessa irritation welling up.

“No, no. Nothing like that.” Said Ava as she wiped her hands nervously on the furs. “Listen Nessa, I need to say Some things to you, and I need you to just listen ok.” Nessa nodded curious as to what was going on.

“Anessa, since I met you, I felt a closeness to you. You have brought such joy and meaning to my life. I thought the only thing I would know in this life was my responsibility as the ultimate Avatar. But now I know what love is. You are my best friend and lover all in one. I love you with all my heart Anessa. I guess what I mean to say is.”  Deep breath she thought to herself.

“Anessa, I want to spend our lives together. Will you be my wife?” She finished feeling like she was out of breath.

Anessa felt she would faint. When had they were younger, she always dreamed of this. But she thought Ava would never ask. She was content to just be hers. But she never expected this. It was more than she had ever dreamed. She should have known. Ava did everything in her own time, and no one could ever rush her. Now they were 22 and on the precipice of their lives together. Then Anessa noticed the worried look on Ava ’s face and realized she had not answered.

“Ava, you are the most amazing thing in my life. I would love nothing more than to be your wife.” She said with a tear falling down her cheek.

Then Ava turned and retrieved the small package and told Anessa to open it. Inside she found a small silver ring with a sapphire diamond in the middle.

“Ava, it ’s beautiful. Where did you find it?” she asked.

“Mmm. Now that is my little secret.” she smiled as she put the ring on Anessa ’s hand. Then she pulled her in for a gentle kiss.

------------------------------00000000000000000000000000000-------------------------

 There was a crowd gathering around the sparring ring as Gabrielle and Ava continued their lesson. It had been a month since Gabrielle began her lesson with Ava. She was improving immensely. She was turning out to be her best student.

Ava lunged forward but Gabrielle dodged. Ava had her backed into a corner. So, she took a deep breath and ran forward and bounded backwards off Ava ’s shoulders into a flip and landed behind her. Then she quickly bent and turned removing Ava ’s legs from beneath her, winning her first fight since their lessons began.

Suddenly the small crowd that had began to gather cheered. Gabrielle extended her hand to Ava to help her up and she graciously took it.

“Good job.” Ava spoke as she stood with a smile.

“I beat you, I finally beat you!” Gabrielle yelled as she jumped up and down.

“You have become one of my best students.” Said Ava, remembering the first lesson she had given Anessa all those years ago. They stood there in a trance until Ephiny ’s voice broke it.

“Alright everyone back to your duties!!” she smiled. “My queen.” She said walking up to the two of them.

“Ephiny, you know I hate when you call me that.” Gabrielle frowned.

“Ok I ’m sorry. Can I make it up to you with Lunch by the lake?” She spoke.

“Sure, let me just tell Ava ok.” She said walking away from her.

Ephiny had been watching the two become close over the last month and a half. She was happy to see her queen smile again. Gabrielle was the dearest friend to her. When she had found out about Xena ’s rejection, she was worried for her. But Ava showed up and changed everything. Though she had not trusted her at first, she was beginning to see how amazing she was. She was also realizing that Gabrielle, was falling for her, but seemed to be unaware of the occurrence. She smiled to herself as she watched Gabrielle return to her.

“All set!”  Gabrielle spoke happily. “She ’s gonna have lunch with Anaiya since she just arrived here.”

Just as they arrived at the lake the sun was high in the sky, so they found a spot in the shade and settled down to eat. A half candle mark later they were laying back enjoying the sun, when Ephiny broke the silence.

“Gabrielle. I wanted to talk to you about something.” Ephiny said looking to the side.

“Ephiny, you could talk to me about anything.” Gabrielle smiled lovingly.

She took a deep breath and tried to speak thoughtfully and clearly. “Well, this is hard being that you and Xena are my closest friends.”

“Go on.” Gabrielle ’s eyes narrowed at her friend, curious as to why she was bringing up Xena. Now that she thought of it, she had barely thought of Xena since she left. Why was that? She thought to herself.

“Well, I never met two people more right for each other than you and Xena are. Then, when you told me, that you finally went for it with her and told her how you feel, I was so happy. But that was short lived when you said she rejected you and insisted that she couldn ’t be with you.” She said as she hung her head low.

“Is there a point to this Ephiny?” Gabrielle asked feeling more than a little irritated. She did not want to be reminded of Xena denying her.

“There is I promise.” Ephiny took a deep breath. “Well, I was worried. I know how deeply you felt. And when she left you here, I was scared. But then, Ava arrived. I didn ’t trust her at first. But now I am grateful she ’s here.”

“Why is that?” asked Gabrielle curiously.

“Well, since she arrived, I have seen a bright, beautiful and intelligent woman in you, a woman, I was convinced only appeared in the presence of Xena.” Ephiny spoke.

Suddenly, it hit Gabrielle like a ton of bricks. The more she spent time with Ava, the more she wanted to be near her. Suddenly familiar butterflies entered her stomach and her breathing quickened and her pulse raced.

Ephiny noticed the sudden physical changes in her friend. Recognized the revelation that she was falling for Ava in her eyes. So, she decided to push it further.

“How do you feel about Ava?” She asked.

“I don ’t know.” Came the answer so soft Ephiny could barely hear it.

“Gabrielle, I know you thought that Xena was the only one who could hold your heart. But looking at you by Ava ’s side, it speaks volumes to me. I see the same look in your eyes when you are with her. The look you had when you looked at Xena. I just thought you should consider that she could bring the same if not more joy if you were with her. I am sorry if I dropped a mountain on you. But I just wanted to speak from my heart.” Ephiny finished.

Gabrielle was at a loss for words. The thought had not occurred to her that she could have as strong of feelings for anyone else but Xena. But here she was. She needed time.

She turned to Ephiny. “Thank you Ephiny. I need, to think.” She said getting up and bringing Ephiny to her feet and hugging her before walking into the forest alone.

Ephiny prayed to Artemis that she had done the right thing by encouraging this. But by the Gods if Xena really was going to deny her friend real love, then Gabrielle deserved to be happy.

------------------------000000000000000000000000000000000000000000---------------------------

“Nessa, no arguing with me! You are not going on this mission with me.” Ava spoke louder than she meant to.

“I have been on the last 3 missions. Why not this one? The same danger exists as before.” Anessa bargained.

“Nessa. Look I know you are used to coming on missions. But this one is different. We are trying to get to the oracle of the legion ’s prophecy. The soldiers of darkness will be protecting it.  This a time before my birth. They know we are coming. They would use you against me.”  She spoke. “I can ’t fight if I am worried about you.”

“Alright.” Said Anessa through gritted teeth.

Ava knew she was furious by her one-word answer. She read the question in her wife ’s eyes.

“The council says it is the most important prophecy and they need it to make a big decision. I promise I will come back to you, my love. Always my Nessa.”  She spoke as she caressed Anessa ’s face. Then she walked out of their hut.

Unbeknownst to Ava, Anessa decided to defy her wife ’s wishes and go on the mission anyways. She had received a vision she had not told Ava about. A vision of her death on this mission if she did not attend. She loved Ava with all her heart. She knew her destiny, but more importantly she loved Ava with all her heart and could not let her die.

“Are you crazy?!” Anaiya yelled when she heard Anessa ’s plan. “Let me get this straight, you want me to sneak you in on this mission, while lying to my best friend. Ava would kill me!!”

“Naiya, you have to. If you,

 don ’t it could mean her death” she pleaded.

“What?” Anaiya yelled.

“I had a vision, and I saw her die, on this mission.” She spoke timidly.

“No.” Anaiya spoke at the revelation. She knew Ava would be furious.

“Alright. I will help” she said reluctantly.

-----------------------00000000000000000000000000000000------------------------------

“My lord, I had a vision.” Jonin spoke as he bowed to his lord.

“And what of this vision? Why is it more important than the others you have daily?” Daemon spoke. 

Daemon drank the wine his servant set before him. Jonin had become his most powerful apprentice in the past 5 years. His gift of sight was unmatched. He had kidnapped him from his last master when he raided the village. The visions showed so much detail to them, that they were almost always able to move around the prediction to obtain their desires. Or rather his.

“My lord, the Ultimate Avatar, she is going for the prophecy. The one we meant to conceal from her and the council.” Jonin spoke. “Their seer had a vision of the time and place it was first taken from the council of the Avatar ’s. Now they mean to go back in time to steal it my lord.

“I see.” Daemon spoke as his frustration steadily began to rise. “Well, then we will just have to beat her there. Send out spies. I want to know when they plan to leave. I will contact my soul ’s former vessel and warn her. When they arrive will be waiting for her.”

 

 

---------------------------------00000000000000000000000000000000000------------------------------

Xena patted Argo ’s back. Since she had left six months ago, she had been on something like a permanent vacation. She had made a few mistakes in the first few months. Including sleeping with Ares. Then she had made the next mistake of calling out Gabrielle ’s name during her climax. That sent him away indefinitely. It had been two months past the time she was supposed to return to Gabrielle. She had wanted to make her point. Make sure Gabrielle knew that she could not lose her, all because she desired her. “One more month or two should do it.” She spoke out loud. Then she decided it was fishing for today.

----------------------------000000000000000000000000000000000-----------------------------------------

Gabrielle and Ava ’s bond continued to grow as well as their feelings.  Neither one being brave enough to say something. But for all intents and purposes they were a couple. Even her amazons began to regard Ava as Gabrielle ’s new champion.

This day found Gabrielle and Ava completing their morning spar after they had completed their morning run. Gabrielle was an early riser these days thanks to Ava.

Ava was circling her prey waiting to make her move. When suddenly, Gabrielle saw an opening and flipped behind Ava and removed her footing with the swipe of her leg. Effectively knocking Ava to the ground.

“Don ’t you ever get tired of finding different ways to use that move.” She said chuckling.

“Nope. Besides, it ’s my best move.” She smiled offering her hand to Ava and pulling her up as she stared into Ava ’s rain-colored eyes.

“Hmm... You have become my best student.” She said smiling.

“My Queen.” Ephiny spoke from the side lines of the ring. “There are some documents that need your review and signature before they are delivered.”

“Ok.” She spoke, never breaking eye contact with Ava. “I ’ll be right there Ephiny.”

“Go on. Your people need you.” Ava said smiling. “I have to go for a brief sparring session with Anaiya. The last men sent from my home were very good. Gotta make sure she ’s staying sharp.” Ava spoke with a smile.

“Ok. But come dinner time, it ’s you, me and my hut. It ’s been a few weeks since we had a proper dinner together. I miss you.” She surprised herself with the admission.

“Yes, my queen.” Ava spoke with a smile knowing how much it irritated Gabrielle,

That earned her a punch in the arm. She chuckled.

 

Back in the Queen ’s hut Gabrielle reviewed and signed the documents rather quickly. Which made her sort of curious.  So, she spoke. “Eph, why did you have me sign these documents now? I could have signed this in the morning.” She spoke.

“Well, I noticed how close you and Ava have gotten even more close since we talked about, well you know.” Ephiny said seeing the blush in Gabrielle ’s cheek. “Have you told her?”

Ephiny prayed that the answer was yes. She knew now that it was love she saw in her queen ’s eyes. It made her heart leap to see it.

“ I, I, ….” Gabrielle ’s words trailed off.

“What is it Gabrielle?” Ephiny asked concerned.

“Ephiny, I am afraid. Telling Ava, I am in love with her…….. … wow I think that is the first time I admitted that out loud.” She spoke her breathing coming in short waves. “ Eph, I can see how she feels, but I need to hear the words, I am afraid if I admit it to her, she ’ll run.”

“Gabrielle, please, you are the happiest I have seen you since Xena left, Anaiya, tells me the same about Ava. We have all accepted this. Everyone accept you two that is. I even hear some of the amazons speak of her as your new champion.” Ephiny relayed the information.

“What?” Gabrielle smiled as she scrunched her nose. Ephiny chuckled at her friend.

Just then they heard a knock at the door. “Enter.” Gabrielle spoke. In walked Ava.

“Ephiny.” She spoke as Ephiny rose to greet her. “It seems You two talk a lot. It is time for dinner.” She smiled as she released Ephiny. “Mind if I steal Brie ’s company for a while?”

“No, you guys have a nice evening.” She smiled “Besides I have date.”

 

 

Ava had dinner brought in along with some wine. She spread a blanket on the ground and placed the dinner on it. Now they could lean against the bed and peer out of the side window. Perfect view of the stars.

“I love your idea of picnic. We can see out of the high side window perfectly.” Gabrielle ’s radiant smile made Ava ’s heart skip a beat.

“My wife loved the stars. We used to lay under them when were on a mission and decide what shapes we saw in them.” She spoke with a sadness.

“Xena and I used to do the same.” Gabrielle said with a sad smile of her own.

“Brie, what is it? You can tell me anything.” Ava said sensing her pain.

“I know, you know, that everything that me and Xena went through, I guess it still makes me sad to think that she could reject me like that.” She spoke. It had been seven months since Xena left her. She said it would only be four. It made her heart ache to think that Xena could leave her for so long. But she had. However, the Gods had smiled on her by leading Ava to the Amazons. She took more space in her heart every day.

“Come here.” she said as she pulled Gabrielle into her arms. She was ever so grateful that the council had told her and Anaiya to stay put in ancient times. Although it seemed that they knew something she didn ’t. She could feel it. Then she heard a small voice jostling her out of her thoughts.

“Ava, can I ask you something?” said Gabrielle hesitantly.

“Ok.” She responded.

“Well, I was wondering, how your wife died? I mean, you rarely mention her except to say what she liked and didn ’t like. I don ’t even know her name and I would like to if that ’s ok. Gabrielle spoke all in one breath.

Ava looked down into emerald eyes and saw sincerity. She rarely talked about her wife these days. Even to Anaiya. Especially not her death. But looking into those emerald, green orbs she could not deny her Brie anything. Not now.

 So, she began. “Her name, was Anessa. My Nessa.”

“Anessa.” Gabrielle spoke. “That ’s beautiful.”

Ava smiled. “She was the best thing to ever happened to me. Since I was a small child, I had certain responsibility to my people. I was even hunted hours after my birth. People always wanted something from me. I freely gave it. Aside from my mother and Anaiya, she was the person who understood me the most. When I met her, she was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. We were young. The moment I set eyes on that luscious dark skin, beautiful black hair, those gorgeous hazel eyes. My heart was hers. When we turned 22, I asked her to be my wife.”

Gabrielle could sense the story was not over. She remained silent and rubbed her back to encourage her to go on.

“There was a mission, I was to go on for the council. She wanted to come. I refused. I knew that the people we were up against knew of her and would try and use her against me. I knew I couldn ’t fight if I was worried about her. So, I put my foot down. The enemy knew we were coming.  Without my knowledge she had sought Anaiya ’s help to be placed on the mission secretly. I did not know it then, but Nessa had a vision, she has the gift of sight. She saw my death on this mission. She knew of my importance to my people. She was desperate to save me. Even if it meant her own death. So, when we made it to our destination, we got we came for. But the enemy was waiting. We had set a trap in the room we took from so we could lure them in. We managed to do so. But in order to trap them someone would have to stay inside and hold them back until the fire consumed the room or the plan would never work. One of the soldiers ran in to volunteer and shut and locked the door behind them peering through the window with bars on the door. The soldier removed her mask. It was Nessa.  

“I love you forever Ava. This was my choice.” She spoke and then turned to face the enemy. She succeeded in keeping them from escaping and the flames consumed the room and the building as well.

“Oh Ava. I am so sorry.” Gabrielle spoke hugging her tightly.

“It ’s ok Brie. I didn ’t have to speak of it. But I wanted you to know.” Ava said. “You know for a while I blamed myself.  But I know she made that choice on her own. It does not replace her. But it helps ease my pain when I think of the sacrifice she made, born of her love for me.”

“She was a brave woman.” Said Gabrielle.  There was a silence that lasted a few minutes before Ava spoke.

“I need to ask you something.” Ava said hesitantly. Although she was Glad for a change of subject, she was nervous. She had not been this nervous since she first admitted her feelings to Nessa. She smiled to herself.

“Go on.” Gabrielle spoke as she heard her heartbeat speed up.

“Well, Ephiny has agreed to act as queen for the next few weeks. She said she wouldn ’t mind. Everything seems quiet. And I would be leaving Anaiya here to protect everyone.” She spoke not making any sense at all. Gabrielle giggled at this display.

“What are you trying to say?” she smiled.

Deep breath Ava. “I want to take you away for a couple of weeks, to my cabin. Starting tomorrow. Do you think you ’d like that?”

Ava held her breath and closed her eyes waiting for a response. The she felt smooth fingertips on her cheeks and her eyes fluttered open.

“Uninterrupted time with you, sounds perfect.” Gabrielle said as she kissed her cheek and smiled.

---------------------------------0000000000000000000000000000000-------------------------------------

“You knew about this?” Gabrielle smiled at Ephiny as she packed her backpack.

“Ok Guilty. I just thought you guys deserved sometime alone. You both work so hard. Especially Ava with her missions for the council, on top of keeping us safe.” Ephiny was beyond excited to give the pair some time to themselves.

“You ’re hoping I tell her, aren ’t you?” Gabrielle narrowed her eyes at Ephiny. Before Ephiny could answer Ava walked in.

“Tell me what?” asked Ava with a smile.

“Nothing.” Said Gabrielle pointing daggers with her eyes at Ephiny.

“Ready Brie?” Ava said not pushing further. “I want to get there before mid-afternoon.”

Ava held out her hand in offering. Gabrielle stared, smiled and placed her hand in Ava ’s.

“I ’m ready.” Gabrielle spoke.

 

Ephiny and Anaiya waved goodbye to their friends happily.

“So how long do you think it will be before they kiss?” Anaiya spoke.

“You and your bets.” Ephiny chuckled. “Besides a getaway trip for these two. You know a lot more than kissing is going to happen on this trip.”

“You know, I knew I liked you Ephiny.” Anaiya giggled.

Just then a sentry arrived with a scroll for Ephiny.

She and Anaiya went back to her hut to read the scroll. When she opened it, her heart dropped. She immediately recognized Xena ’s handwriting.

Ephiny,

I wanted to send word of my return. I am sorry I have been away so long. But I could not bring myself to face her. She is everything to me and I will not lose her. Not even to my own desires. Please don ’t inform her of my coming. I want to surprise her. I will be there seven days time after you receive this scroll.

All my love.

 Xena[en1] [en2] 

Anaiya saw the worried look on Ephiny ’s face and spoke. “Eph, what ’s wrong? Who is the scroll from?

All Ephiny could manage was “Xena.”

“You mean Gabrielle ’s Xena?” Anaiya felt her heart drop.

“Yes.” Ephiny spoke. “She will be here in seven days.”

“This is going to be interesting.” Anaiya spoke feeling a little worried.

“I know. But Xena herself said she could not love Gabrielle the way she needs. She will just have to accept that Ava is in our lives now. All of us.” She spoke determined.

“Well, my love, for now, let ’s get some rest. We have a nation to protect.” She said as she smiled at Ephiny. She leaned in and kissed her soundly.

 

----------------------0000000000000000000000000000----------------------

Ava pointed past the small hill to their right. “There. That is where we are headed.”

“But there is nothing there.” Gabrielle spoke curiously.

“Oh, little one have faith.” She smiled down at Gabrielle who sat in front of her. “Yah Katsina!”

She yelled as she kicked her horse into full gallop.

When they reached the space on the side of the hill, they dismounted.

“Now remember when I explained to you that I have magic?” Ava spoke.

“Yeees.” Came Gabrielle ’s reply. “But you have never shown me.”

“Well I am going to show you now. So keep your eyes on that spot.” She said as she pointed in front of them.

Ava put out her hand and waved. Then she spoke the encantation. “Farahan leekansi.”

Then suddenly before Gabrielle ’s eyes a cabin and stables appeared.

“Ava, that was amazing!” Gabrielle spoke. “You made a house appear out of thin air.”

Gabrielle was amazed.

“It was more of a cloaking spell. The house was always there. I just made it so no one could see.” Ava explained. “Why don ’t you go inside while I stable Katsina, and we can have dinner. Then I will recloak the house so others cannot find us.”

Gabrielle did as she was told. She was so excited. As she walked in, she saw a fire in the fireplace to her left. Further down that wall, was sort of a kitchen area. Directly in front of her was a couch and table with lots of space.  And to her right a shelf with tons of different scrolls and down that wall was a set of stairs. She went up and discovered a bed and couch. The cabin seemed to be fully stocked with supplies for the 2 of them. She put her backpack down on the couch and sat on the bed. To her left n her nightstand she found flowers and a note from Ava.

I knew you would sit on the bed first.

I hope you like these. I know that tulips are your

Favorite.

Ava.

She smiled at her own predictability.

Ava Brought their things into the cabin. Thus began their time together.

 

The next few days for the two were spent fishing, sparring, reading and having playful banter. The seventh afternoon found the two relaxing in front of the lake with a snack.

“I like the new yoga techniques from your time. I don ’t think I will ever be sore after our morning run again.” Gabrielle joked. “I wanted to ask you about what you told me last night.”

Silence.  Gabrielle heard nothing behind her as she lay back on Ava ’s chest. But she pushed on.

“I know you say I belong with Xena. That my love evolved her. But Xena doesn ’t love me. Even if she does, she won ’t be with me. After all you explained to me about your time and the future, I believe you about this great battle. But why does that mean you won ’t be returning when you ’ve finished? Why couldn ’t we be together?” Gabrielle said begrudgingly.

“I know beautiful. But you will understand as soon as the battle is done, I promise.” she said looking down into green orbs. They were so close staring into each other ’s eyes that Ava ’s lips brushed Gabrielle ’s. She could feel her breath against her lips. Gabrielle lightly grazed Ava ’s lips. Ava was so shocked that she almost let it happen again. Then suddenly Gabrielle felt strong arms holding her at bay. “Brie we shouldn ’t do this.” Ava spoke as she rose and began to pack up their things to go inside.

--------------------------------000000000000000000000000000000000000000000-------------------------

Xena reached the Amazon border and clasped her hands together in the air. Then she saw two sentries step out to greet her.

“Xena, come.” Spoke the short brunette. “Queen Ephiny is expecting you.”

Queen Ephiny? Xena thought. Curious.

“Xena.” Ephiny spoke. “Glad to see you ’re ok. We were beginning to wonder.”

Xena looked around and saw no sign of Gabrielle. Was she that angry? She noticed she did not recognize the woman with violet eyes standing next to Ephiny.

“This is Anaiya. She ’s um new here.” Ephiny spoke. “Dismissed.” Ephiny spoke and the sentries dispersed. “Anaiya, I am going spend some time with Xena. I ’ll see you at dinner my love.” She kissed Anaiya gently.

“Ephiny, she ’s beautiful.” Xena spoke as she watched Anaiya walk away.

“Thank you. Xena.” She said worried. She knew what Xena ’s next question would be. She was not ready to answer.

“Ephiny.” She put a hand on her shoulder stopping her in her tracks. But she couldn ’t look Xena in her eyes. “Ephiny, where is Gabrielle? I ’d like to see her if she would let me.”

Silence. Ephiny considered her answer.

“Is she that angry with me?” Xena spoke sounding nervous.

“Xena.” Ephiny spoke looking up. “She was never angry, just hurt. She would never send you away.”

“So where is she Ephiny?” Xena asked once more.

“Xena, she isn ’t here. She is on a trip with a, a friend.” She said biting her bottom lip. It wasn ’t a lie. Try as she might she could not get Ava and Gabrielle to admit their feelings to each other. They were still just friends.

Xena didn ’t like the way this sounded. Who was this friend and where were they staying?

“What friend Eph? When will they return? Where are they staying?” Xena continued her questions.

Ephiny could tell Xena ’s instincts were at work already. She tried her best to answer without giving everything away. She knew Gabrielle would want to explain.

“Well, her name is Ava, she is new here, Anaiya is her best friend. They should be back in another seven days. And I am sorry Xena, but I cannot tell you where they are staying. I swore to my queen as well as her ch.. as well as to Ava that I would not tell.

Was Ephiny about to say the word champion? She was in disbelief. She had to know something about this new friend in Gabrielle ’s life.

“Come on Eph, let ’s get some dinner. Then you can tell me about this Ava.” Xena said with a scowl.

 

-------------------00000000000000000000000000000000000000----------------

 

9 days into their trip, Gabrielle was relaxing in the indoor tub of the cabin. Ava noticed a scowling look on Gabrielle ’s face. “What is it? Is the water too cold?”

“No, it isn ’t that.” Gabrielle said with a pout. “Well maybe a little.”

Just then Ava touched the water and whispered an incantation. Then suddenly the water steamed with heat.

 “Well, isn ’t that handy?” said Gabrielle. “Why don ’t you get in and wash my back?”

Ava chuckled. Gabrielle had been trying to get close to her physically the entire trip. But she had to be strong.

“Brie, I have already bathed, and I can wash your back from here.” She spoke disappointing Gabrielle again. Let ’s hurry, I have a surprise for you tonight for dessert.”

“Well, you know I like to try new things, especially when it comes to food.”

 

A few hours later found their dinner finished and their hunger satisfied.

“Boy tomorrow ’s morning run is going to be a hard one.” Said Gabrielle.

“Well, I thought since it ’s our last few days, we could skip the run. You know sleep in. But of course, that means we are going have to double up a few days when we get back to the village.” Ava said with a smirk.

“Oh, you ’re just waiting to kill me huh?” Gabrielle chuckled. “Hey where is this surprise dessert I heard about earlier? “

“Why don ’t you head upstairs? I put out something for you to wear to bed. I hope you like it.” Ava spoke shyly.

When Gabrielle arrived upstairs, she found the most beautiful, beaded night shift that sparkled silver in the lantern light. She was taken aback. The design reminded her of india. Her heart swelled.

When Ava arrived upstairs, she had changed as well. Her beautiful locs were flowing free down past her dust-colored shoulders. She had not noticed her freckles before. But they were accented by the fire light. Her shift was an off the shoulder cotton fabric. Black with tan designs threaded through it. It depicted mountains and valleys and animals grazing. Gabrielle could not think of anything more beautiful. Then her gaze traveled up dust colored skin and fell deep into rain-colored eyes. She saw Ava flush as she continued to stare. She liked that her gaze had so much power over Ava.

Ava nervously cleared her throat. “So, dessert.” She held a plate of blue berries chilled and covered with a thick, brown liquid. Then the second bowl held what seemed like a bowl of brown whipped cream.

“So, what ’s this?” Asked Gabrielle.

“Do you trust me?” Ava said as she stared into green orbs.

“Completely.” Said Gabrielle.

Ava picked up 2 of the blue berries with a spoon, then she dipped them in the brown cream.

“Open wide beautiful.” She spoke. Gabrielle did as she was told. Suddenly her mouth was filled with the tartness off the blue berries, which directly contrasted the taste and feel of the thick brown liquid. The whipped cream was a great touch but there was more flavor there. Gabrielle closed her eyes as the flavors filled her senses.

“Mmmm… That is the most incredible thing I have ever put in my mouth.” She spoke.

Ava chuckled. “I take it you like it then?” Gabrielle nodded furiously.

“What is that?” Gabrielle asked more than curious.

“Well, the blue berries you know, I chilled those on ice, the brown liquid is melted chocolate and well the brown stuff, whipped cream with what will be known as caramel. Basically, cooked sugar that I ground to dust and added to the cream. It gives it the smoky sweet flavor you tasted.” She finished.

“Wow, may I have some more please?” she said as Ava raised a spoonful to her mouth.

 

A few hours and a couple million questions about where Ava learned to make those delectable items, and they were satisfied and happy.

“I think it ’s time for bed, beautiful” Ava said as she went and sat down on the left side of the bed. 

Gabrielle looked up from the couch. She saw that Ava was avoiding her eyes. She had been being extra careful not to touch or linger, since they had kissed a few days ago. But she had already been denied by the first women she fell for. This was not going to happen with Ava. She could tell Ava wanted her as well, but she was holding back. She just needed a little push.

So, with all the courage she could muster, she stood and walked until she was standing right in front of Ava.

“Yes Gabrielle?” Ava said without looking up as her breathing sped up.  Ava could feel those emerald green eyes digging into the top of her head and suddenly she could not breathe at all. She was trying so hard to avoid this, but her resolve was wearing thin.

“Look at me Ava.” She spoke almost in a whisper. “You never call me Gabrielle.”

“I… I.” Ava couldn ’t form words. Gabrielle was too close. She felt intoxicated when Gabrielle was so nearby. She couldn ’t deny that Gabrielle was apart of her heart now and every part of her ached to explore the beautiful creature standing in front of her.

Gabrielle placed her knees on the bed, on either side of Ava, straddling her. Suddenly, Ava found her voice again as she looked away. “Gabrielle..” Ave spoke in a long monotoned whisper as she gripped the young blonde ’s hips holding her at bay. “We can ’t do this. What about Xe…” Ava ’s words were cut off by Gabrielle capturing her lips furiously. Suddenly Ava ’s head began to spin. She couldn ’t stop the hurricane of emotions from transforming into desire. Her body felt like it would burst into flames at any moment.

Gabrielle had been longing to kiss Ava ’s full lips for months now. She wrapped her arms around Ava ’s neck as she brushed her red brown locs behind her shoulders.  She felt Ava respond and she heard a low deep moan. She began to slide Ava ’s shift down her shoulders. A few moments passed and she felt Ava begin to give in to her desires.

Ava felt a tingle between her legs as Gabrielle slid her shift off her shoulders. She needed to hear Gabrielle moan so badly. Suddenly her heart skipped a beat as she realized her hand had moved in between the two and was sliding up Gabrielle ’s thigh. Hearing Gabrielle moan deeply in her throat made her desire double.  The feeling jostled her mind into reacting to what was happening around her. She pushed Gabrielle back so suddenly that she had to stand.

Gabrielle ’s brow furrowed in aggrivation.

“Why do you deny me? I felt you respond to my touch. Don ’t tell me you don ’t want this as much as I do.” Gabrielle spoke feeling frustrated.

“What about Xena? You belong with her.” Ava said in the most unconvincing voice she had ever portrayed.

“Ava listen, I told Xena of my love for her.  Even if she does love me, she is dead set on us not being together. That was her choice. I am not saying I am not in love with her anymore. But the truth is, I am in love with you too. And I know you are in love with me. You look at me the way I am sure I look at you as well.”

Gabrielle still saw hesitation in Ava ’s eyes. But she would not be discouraged.

“When I am near you, I can ’t breathe. You listen to my thoughts, my hopes, my dreams, you make me better Ava.” Gabrielle spoke as she gazed into Ava ’s eyes.

Slowly she began to straddle Ava as she spoke looking directly into rain-colored orbs.

“How about I make you a deal? You give me this time, the rest of our time in this cabin. Let me love you, let yourself love me. And when Xena returns, I will talk to her and see what happens.” Gabrielle spoke solemnly.

Ava looked up into green eyes and she could not hide her desire. She considered her limited options. She could feel Gabrielle ’s determination.  As Gabrielle stroked her face and waited patiently for an answer, all her resolve melted. She leaned up kissed her so intensely it scared her. She felt Gabrielle respond to her immediately kissing her back. When the kiss broke her breath was ragged. She reached down and lifted Gabrielle ’s shift up and over her head. She marveled at the beauty saw sitting right in her lap.

Gabrielle smiled at the lust found in Ava ’s in her eyes.  Then she leaned forward and whispered seductively. “Up.” Ava somehow understood what she meant and place two firm hands under her bottom and lifted her up as she stood. In the same manner Gabrielle whispered. “Down.”  So, Ava turned and sat her gently on the bed behind her. Gabrielle spoke once more as she grabbed Ava ’s shift. “Off.”

Ava complied. As she did, she took Gabrielle ’s breath away. It was Ava ’s turned to speak. “Lie back beautiful.” She commanded and Gabrielle obeyed as if she were entranced.

 As she began to lay her body over the blonde beneath her, she heard Gabrielle ’s breath catch as their skin made contact. Everywhere their skin touched felt like it was on fire. The space between her legs became as molten as lava. Her breathing became ragged as she felt Gabrielle respond to the contact as well.  Her mouth descended on Gabrielle ’s capturing her lips almost viciously, they began to sink into the kiss. Their hands began to roam one another ’s body. Ava felt like she was in heaven. Slowly she moved her lips down Gabrielle ’s neck with light kisses, almost teasing her. Each kiss was accompanied by a moan from deep in her lover ’s throat and it only multiplied the wetness between her legs. Finally, she reached a nipple. As she took the nipple captive with her teeth and flicked it with her tongue, Gabrielle ’s back began to arch. She simultaneously massaged her other breast at the same time. “Oh Gods, Ava!! Please!” Gabrielle spoke almost yelling. Ava chuckled at the desperation she heard. She felt Gabrielle ’s hand on her shoulder trying to guide her to her center. “Patience beautiful, not yet.”

“Please Ava, I need you so badly!” she begged shamelessly.

But Ava took her time kissing down her firm stomach and roaming every curve. Finally, she made it to just above golden blonde hairs and she stopped. Slowly she parted Gabrielle ’s legs as she sighed from the head of the bed. She ran feather light kisses up one thigh, and then the other. “Put a pillow behind your head my love.” Gabrielle did as she was instructed. Ava then lowered her head so close to Gabrielle ’s hot center she could feel her breath. Her hips began moving back and forth on their own.  Ava stuck her tongue out for a taste. It was a slow sensuous lick and Gabrielle ’s hips responded by lifting off the bed. “Ava please, don ’t stop!” Gabrielle implored. That was all the permission Ava Needed. She guided a long slender finger inside of Gabrielle and she responded breathlessly to what she felt there. “God Gabrielle, you are so wet!” She gasped. All Gabrielle could do was moan deep in her throat. She soon added another finger to her rhythm and Gabrielle ’s body invited in happily. Faster and faster, she slid her fingers in and out and Gabrielle ’s body kept up with the pace. When her lover ’s hips began to outpace her hand, she knew Gabrielle was ready, so she slowed her movements. She looked up to see her love ’s eyes shut with pleasure and she spoke. “Open your eyes my love. Look into my eyes when you come for me.” Ava spoke almost out of breath. As Gabrielle stared into rain-colored orbs, she felt Ava resume a quicker pace, faster and faster she went. When she was sure Gabrielle was where she wanted her, she added her tongue to her swollen bud. The combination of Ava stroking her, tasting her while looking into her eyes, sent Gabrielle over the edge. “Yess, oh gods yess Avaaa!!” she screamed as she climaxed. Ava slowed her pumping until her love ’s body relaxed. Then she climbed up the bed to lay by her side.

“That was amazing.” Gabrielle panted.

“You are amazing my love. I love hearing you.” She responded not being able to stop staring at Gabrielle.

“I love you Ava.” She said as she rolled on top of her. Ava felt a knee spreading her legs and sliding up and she panicked. She rarely allowed even Anessa to touch her freely. When the thought entered her mind, it scared her. She looked doubtfully into Gabrielle ’s eyes.

Gabrielle read the expression on her face and spoke. “Trust. Me.”

All her doubts began to melt away as she felt Gabrielle feather her with light kisses as her hands caressed every inch of her body. Suddenly Ava felt a slick warm tongue enter mouth and she melted. Gabrielle had taken complete control and she was intoxicated. She felt her nipples being squeezed and pulled, while Gabrielle continued to kiss her ravenously.

“I want to feel you, Ava.” Gabrielle whispered as she pierced Ava with her emerald eyes. “Please?”

She heard the pleading in her loves voice, and she could not refuse. She nodded as she felt Gabrielle ’s hand slide down her abdomen. Slowly Gabrielle slid inside her wet folds. “Oh Gods, you feel amazing my love.” She whispered trying to catch her breath. Slowly she explored Ava ’s hot center, reveling in the reaction she received from the strong dark warrior.

Ava ’s head began to swim, and she knew she would not last. “Inside, please!!” she said almost yelling and Gabrielle complied to her bodies demands. Each thrust Gabrielle made was faster and harder than the last. Ava was so sensitive. Gabrielle grinned as she got closer and closer. She marveled at the emotions and desires she saw spread across Ava ’s face as she continued to touch her.  She slowed her motions in order to prolong the most beautiful sounds she had ever heard. She couldn ’t get enough.

As she continued to slide into Ava ’s center, she could barely focus. Ava was so wet. She added another finger to her rhythm and Ava responded in kind.

“God Gabrielle, I can ’t stop. Please!” she begged.

Gabrielle knew she was ready, so she began to stroke her swollen bud with her thumb.

Ava ’s hips thrusted wildly trying to take in as much of her love as she could. “Gabrielle!! Yess, don ’t stop!” she screamed.  Suddenly Ava looked up into her eyes and spoke. “Please Brie, I want to come for you, please!!” she whispered out of breath.

Gabrielle suddenly felt fire between her legs as she plunged faster and deeper into Ava begging her to come. Then they both fell over the edge, Ava calling her name over and over before they collapsed.

A few minutes passed as they caught their breath.   “I love you too, Gabrielle” Ava said right before she scooped her up in her arms.

 

They slept late into the next morning. The last days were not so different from the first ones. Except for the added pleasure of loving and being loved by Ava.  But Gabrielle had not forgotten her promise to Ava. She began to prepare herself for if or when Xena returned. It made her sad. But Ava insisted on her keeping her promise. So, she would.

 

The morning they were to leave for the village came too fast for Gabrielle.

“Ready love?” Ava said smiling next to Katsina.

“No, beautiful. But let ’s go any ways.” She said mounting Katsina. She felt Ava mount behind her, and they were off.

Part 2

 

Back to the Academy