The stadium emptied out a little bit after 11 o’clock PM. It was a University of
South Carolina victory as the Gamecocks won over Clemson 18-14. Julianna,
Melinda and John Melvin left in the car Chet rented in Charleston from the Hertz
‘Drive-Ur-Self’ system to get himself back to Columbia, while Suzanna asked
Janice to stay behind and ride with her in the family car headed back to the Pappas estate. It was silence between them, at first, as Edison drove them away from Carolina Stadium. Finally, Suzanna spoke.
 
“Your eyes seemed to have settled down some. I wonder what causes that.”
 
“I don’t know. It only started happening on this trip,” Janice told her, knowing well what caused it.
 
There was an awkward silence, then Suzanna said, softly, “You don’t fool me, you know.”
 
“I don’t?” Janice was cautious until she found out where this was going.
 
“Nope. I know a lot of people think my cornbread in’t done in the middle, but I’ve got eyes. And I’ve seen the look in yours when you’re close by each other.”
 
“You have?” Janice said, meekly, in preparation of what she expected to come next.
 
“Yes, I have. You’re not fooling me, Miss Janice.” Suzanna put her hand up to halt further commentary. “I know, I know. It’s Doctor Janice. But you’re going to have to downplay that if you have any hopes of anything serious with John Melvin.”
 
Janice started to respond defensively but then it registered what Susanna said. “John Melvin?” She repeated, surprised. 
 
“I saw the way you looked at him last night when he was standing next to Melinda and I saw you both tonight at the game, getting cozy. I know that look and you, my dear doctor, are in love. Now, if you want to pursue that, you just come to me and we’ll start working on a new you. I know the best cosmetic and hairdressing people in town. As for your clothes, we’re about the same size and I have a lot of fancy dresses and skirts I know would do you justice.”
 
Oh boy, Janice thought. She pictured herself coming to dinner in a Scarlett O’Hara cinched waist, hooped skirt and her hair in Becky Thatcher ringlets. “I, uh, like to dress comfortably.”  
 
“Yes, and that’s a problem. You’re a beautiful girl and you would attract many more beaus, especially John Melvin, if you dressed to enhance that beauty.”
 
Janice knew the sweet and oblivious Susanna was just trying to be helpful. She blushed at the compliment and cleared her throat, feeling somewhat awkward. “Thank you but…wouldn’t I be misrepresenting myself, dressing so femininely when I’m not…well, feminine?”
 
“Oh, no,” Susanna said, grinning. “No, you only do what you must do to bait the hook. Once you’ve caught your big fish, then you can be as comfortable as you want to be.”  
 
“But,” Janice started, treading carefully, “isn’t that dishonest?”
 
“Not really. You’re just advertising your assets. Once you’re married, your husband should be the only one to intimately know your womanly treasures.”

“Womanly treasures?” Janice repeated. Too late for that. More people than she cared to admit had already followed her “treasure” map to its reward.

Suzanna reached over and patted Janice’s hand. “I understand. I’ve given you a lot to ponder. You think about it and let me know. Do you want me to put a bug in John Melvin’s ear?”

Janice, never having heard the expression before, scrunched up her face. “Why would I want you to do that?”

“You know, just to give him the notion it’s okay to reciprocate your feelings.”

“No!” Janice said a little too abruptly, almost startling Susanna with her tone. “No, no,” she said, more calmly. “If it’s going to happen, I’d rather let nature take its course.”

“Okay. I’m here if you need me.” Suzanna said, reassuringly. “Don’t wait too long, though. John Melvin is the most eligible bachelor in town.” She winked at Janice and directed her next sentence to Edison.

Janice rode in silence for several minutes, afterward. She was going to have a discussion with Melinda about the middle of Aunt Suzanna’s cornbread when she got back to the house.


*****


Chet and John Melvin had dropped Melinda and her mother off at home and decided to go out with some of John Melvin’s friends to celebrate the Gamecocks win. 

It was nearly midnight. Melinda and Julianna got back to the estate just about 5 minutes before Edison drove up the winding driveway and let his two passengers out at the front door.

Julianna and Suzanna bid goodnight and went to their rooms and Janice followed a silent Melinda out to the veranda. “Are you mad at me, Mel?”

Mel turned to face Janice, the light breeze at Janice’s back began moving the wisps of dark strands that had escaped Melinda’s perfectly coiffed hairdo. Backlit by the full moon, Melinda was a vision of loveliness that, once again, took Janice’s breath away. “I was but then I realized you really had no time to tell me what Xena had done at the fair. So, no, I’m not mad, I’m just…exasperated.”

“At me?”

A small smile found it’s way to Melinda’s lips. “No, Janice. As hard as it is to be missing this time with my family, I’m exasperated that I can’t be here for you, either. I mean, I’ve basically left you alone to fend for yourself.”

“Oh, Mel, you can’t control when Xena comes and goes or what she does when she’s here and I’m getting along just fine with your family. And, apparently, Xena can’t control when she shows up, either.”

“I just would like it to end. Xena’s behavior in her time for her life is fine. I’m still fighting the gossip that I ran away from home…at 24. I don’t want the reputation of being able to beat up grown men and make little children cry.”

“In Xena’s defense, that kid was kind of an asshole.” 

“Not the point, Janice, and you know it,” Mel snapped. She took a deep breath and let it out. “Sorry. I’m annoyed and trying not to take it out on anyone.”

“How did you find out? We were trying to keep it from you so you wouldn’t get upset.”

“Teddy Cooke’s sister, Dixie, caught up with us when we were getting into Chet’s car. Growing up, she and I never got along in school, so she blurted it all out to all of us. Mama looked at me and I couldn’t tell her anything, but John Melvin cracked under the pressure of her glare and told her everything.”

“No wonder he chose to continue the evening with Chet,” Janice said, caught between feeling pissed off at and admirable of Mel’s brother’s avoidance. “That rogue.”

“Then, after that, Chet began to speak disapprovingly of you, saying you were a bad influence on me and I shouldn’t be associating with someone like you.”

“Someone like me?” Janice asked, surprised, then angry. “What did he mean by that?”

“He said you were not in our class and associating with you would only make my reputation worse.”

Janice bowed her head, feeling that what Chet said was correct. These were issues Janice said to herself every day. “What did you say?”

“Well, before I could say anything, my mama told him to hush and said she would not tolerate one of her guests talking about another one of her guests like that. Then John Melvin spoke up and said he thought that even though you’re a little rough around the edges, he really enjoys spending time with you and that we don’t judge people by class.”

“What did Chet say?”

“He apologized to Mama but had a smirk that told me he really wasn’t sorry for anything he said.”

“The guy’s a creep, Mel. It makes me wonder why you giggle at some of the smarmy compliments he gives to you.”

“It’s a nervous habit. It’s not new. You saw it several times in Greece. I giggle when I feel trapped and don’t know what to say. Like the time the…um…aromatic…Mr. Karagiannis kept asking me out in front of all the dig crew. My response was to giggle until you told him to -”

“Get his rancid, smelly ass away from my translator and don’t fucking come to the site again,” Janice finished for her.

“Yes. That. And you saying it with a pistol in your hand convinced him.”

“Okay. You’re right. You do giggle when your nervous,” Janice conceded.  

They were both silent, staring out at the night sky when Melinda said, “All right. It’s late. Tomorrow’s another big day with the party and I’ll be helping to cook most of the vittles, so I’m off to bed.”

“You didn’t say anything about a costume party, Mel. I don’t have anything to wear.”

Mel smiled. “Of course you do. You can dress exactly how you would dress on one of our digs. Practical for you but it would definitely be a costume according to the people who will attend tomorrow.”

At first, Janice thought she should be insulted but then the thought of wearing her every day clothes changed her mind. “Great idea. I can be comfortable and not have to keep pretending I’m someone that I’m not.”

“Has it been that difficult, Janice?” Melinda asked, sincerely.

“Nah. It’s really been okay. The only thing I have had to adjust to was not as much swearing and barely being able to smoke my cigars. Being respectful to your family has been easy, as they have been respectful to me.”

“I’m glad. Goodnight, Janice,” Melinda said, quietly as she turned and walked inside.

“Goodnight, Mel. See you in the morning.” After Melinda had disappeared inside, Janice added, “hopefully.” She removed one of her cheroots from the nearly new pack and lit it. She puffed a couple times, held it between her teeth and spoke around it. “Chet, you and I are going to have a nice, long chat. I don’t care whose friend or commanding officer you are or where your family comes from or what their hoity toity businesses are. You, my boy, are going to answer some questions.”


*****

The next morning, both Janice and Mel were thrilled with Mel waking up as Mel.
They both hoped it would last. The morning meal was a quieter affair as Suzanna, John Melvin and Chet had driven to Charleston to pick up a couple of cases of Old Silas whiskey from the master distiller. 

Immediately after breakfast, Julianna, Ophelia and Melinda went over the plans for cooking and preparing for the party. Julianna had hired a catering service to supplement the food and personnel, and a cleaning and planning service to get the estate in shape. 

Janice helped Edison putter around the property, ensuring the exterior was tidy and that the gardeners and landscapers were following Julianna’s plan to a T. There were a few temporary employees who were clearly not fond of taking orders from a Negro but after Janice asked them if they wanted Miss Julianna to have to drop everything to come out and repeat what Edison had just told them, they stopped being difficult. Julianna’s reputation was legendary in Columbia and no one wanted to get on her bad side. Julianna could say more with a cut of her eyes than a whole debate club’s worth of speeches.


*****


When Janice returned to the house, the decorations were up, and the spirit of
Halloween had begun to percolate through the specified party rooms. She strolled down the hall toward the delicious aroma of food cooking. She wanted to check in on Mel to ensure Mel was still Mel but before she could reach the kitchen, she was caught by Julia who turned her around and linked arms with her.

“We need to have a little tête-à-tête,” Julianna said to Janice, as she gestured Janice into the office. “I have concerns.” Julianna followed the archeologist in and shut the door behind them. 

Before Julianna could say anything, Janice put her hand up in a halting motion. “I know what you’re concerned about. Aunt Suzanna already talked to me.”

“She did?” Julianna asked, definite surprise in her tone.

“Yes and I am not interested in John Melvin.”

Julianna folded her arms across her chest. “I almost wish you were. No, I know which Pappas you’re interested in and I know it isn’t John Melvin. Or Ridley.”  

Janice wanted to refute Julianna’s words. She held her breath while she decided how to react. She could have outright denied what Mel’s mother was suggesting but she’d already taken too long to respond for her to be convincing. She released the air from her lungs. “I, uh, I don’t know what to say,” Janice said, in a tone as neutral as she could muster.

“Thank you for not denying it,” Julianna said.

Janice looked her in the eyes. “What’s the point? You’ve already made up your mind,” she said, subdued. “I’ll, uh, go pack my things and -”

“Don’t be so hasty, Dr. Covington,” Juliana said, quickly. “Before you go running off, why don’t you hear what I have to say?”

Janice hung her head, embarrassed and angry. “I’ve heard it all before, Mrs. Pappas. That I’m a pervert, a degenerate, an abomination, that your daughter should in no way ever be associated with me after this…I don’t think you could say anything that’s new.”  

Julianna uncrossed her arms and raised an eyebrow. “You might be surprised.”

“I doubt it,” Janice mumbled.  

Mel’s mother patted the back of one of the two chairs in front of a heavy, oak desk. “Let’s sit.”

Hesitantly, Janice complied and braced herself for a lecture on morality by Tommy Gun Pappas. The thought of Melinda finding out and never wanting to see Janice again was punch-in-the-gut painful. And everything had been going so well. “Okay. Go ahead. Eviscerate me. I’m ready.” She looked up to see Julianna sporting somewhat of a smile. A smile? Shit, this is going to be epic.

“Let’s get the obvious out of the way first, shall we?” Julianna suggested, her demeanor nothing less than professional.

“If we must,” Janice said, not ungraciously.

“Are you and my daughter involved, romantically and intimately?”

Janice started to shake her head before Julianna finished. “No. I swear to you, we are just friends. The most intimate I have ever been with Melinda is when I helped her wash bird shi, I mean, poop, out of her hair during a dig in Crete. Trust me, it was a bearded vulture and she needed my assistance. She meaning Melinda, not the bird. The bird had already flown away and damn it, I’m babbling. And cursing,” Janice said and wished she had the ability to disappear. She closed her eyes to regroup and tentatively continued. “Look, Mrs. Pappas, I’m in love with Melinda. I won’t disrespect your obvious intelligence by saying anything different. But I have never imposed my will or my feelings on her. I would never put her in a position that would offend her or bring shame upon her. As much as it would kill me, I would cut her completely out of my life rather than have her experience any debasing of her reputation or the Pappas name at my expense.”

“Does she know? That you’re in love with her?”

“No, Ma’am. She’s completely clueless. I do my best to hide it from her. Obviously, not well enough if it only took you 3 days to see it.” There was a palpable silence and Janice wondered why Julianna hadn’t laid into her yet. In fact, Mel’s mother honestly didn’t look the least bit shocked.  

Julianna nodded her head. “Interesting.”

“Beg pardon?” Janice tilted her head, not understanding why any of this was ‘interesting.’

“Well, I’ve also seen the way she looks at you. And if I’m not mistaken, the feelings are mutual.”

Janice blinked several times and repeated, “Beg pardon?”

“You are so wrapped up in not revealing your feelings for her that you clearly don’t see the way she looks at you.”

Janice swallowed audibly. “No, she, she’s not…I don’t…what?”

“She is in love with you, Janice,” Julianna stated.  

Janice was rarely at a loss for words but her sudden lack of conversational skills seemed to be becoming a habit while in this house. She opened her mouth to say something two different times and closed it without making a sound.

“Now, don’t think just because I’m calmly discussing this with you means I understand your love for each other. I don’t. We’re a Baptist family in every sense of the word and we are a well-known in this state and in our church. Both Melvin and I came from families of prestige, and we have not had a public scandal in all our generations. It takes a lot of work to keep everyone focused on their proper paths to keep our image intact.

“Now, having said that,” Julianna paused for a big sigh, “I’m also practical. The reason we have had no public scandals is because we have hidden them well. The Pappas’ and Beaulieu families have enough skeletons for our closet to form a graveyard.” Julianna stood up and walked behind the desk. “I’m going to have a drink. Care to join me?”

“God, yes,” Janice said, relaxing a little. 

“Is bourbon okay?” She asked holding up the decanter half-filled with a dark caramel colored liquid. 

“Bourbon is perfect, thank you.”

Julianna picked up a crystal decanter and poured the contents into two tumblers. “My youngest brother, Melinda’s Uncle Ridley, was a homosexual. I loved that boy from the minute he was born. I saw nothing wrong with him, especially when I was younger. I never believed it was something he chose but something he inherently was.” She returned to the chair, handed Janice the glass and sat back down. “The only thing that provoked me into believing there was an issue was the behavior of my parents and my older brother, Claude, who called Ridley an invert. They constantly spoke of his ‘moral failing’ and tried to turn him into my rude, obnoxious, bully of an older brother because that’s what they believed a ‘real’ man should be.” Julianna stared at the liquid in her glass as she swirled it around.

“Ridley loved dancing, Maurice Chevalier, Broadway musicals & he hated sports,” Julianna continued. “He wasn’t built like Claude; he was slight. He didn’t have Claude’s confidence or, arrogance is more like it. Ridley was just a sweet, lovable, pleasant boy. And the things Claude and Claude’s friends would do to him made my blood boil, while my parents stood by and let them, thinking it was a good way to toughen Ridley up. It didn’t.”

“Did he give in to Claude?” Janice asked.

“Under great pressure, he tried out for our high school football team to please our parents. He played in one practice session. Claude was so used to calling Ridley a sissy and other colorfully derogatory names, especially in front of the other kids at school that Ridley’s teammates took up the mantel. He never made it to his first game. During practice, Claude and his tyrants beat him bloody and to the point where he could not play. My parents blamed Ridley for not ‘changing.’ Ridley cried to me that he didn’t know how to change, how to pretend to be anyone other than who he was. He wanted me to assure him that the rest of his life wouldn’t be like this. I tried but he saw through my words of encouragement. The next morning, one of the workers found him hanging from the rafters of the stable. At first, I was suspicious of Claude but then my mother found a suicide note.”

“Oh, Mrs. Pappas, I am so sorry,” Janice said, sincerely. She was not only familiar with the process of attempting to ‘humiliate’ the homosexuality out of men but with similar results, as well. She had lost more than a few friends that way. It again made her wonder how her mother would have reacted, finding out that Janice was a lesbian. Her father really hadn’t been okay with it but neither did he condemn it. He just requested she not be obvious as some of the countries where they dug had instantaneous death sentences for her “kind.”

Julianna’s eyes glistened with tears. “It was horrible. My parents were shocked and, only then, duly felt the shame of what they had helped perpetuate. Not Claude, though. He never shed a tear,” Julianna said, bitterly. “He said he was glad the little ‘queer’ was gone. Suzanna came along a few years after Ridley was born so she really doesn’t remember him. He was eleven when she was born, and she was four when he died. He adored Suzanna.” Julianna downed her drink in four gulps. “My relationship with Claude was gravely affected after that but when I named my first son Ridley, he cut off all communication with me. Funny thing is, I don’t miss him. What I miss is what should have been.” She looked over at Janice who had yet to take a sip of her scotch.

“That’s appalling. And tragic,” Janice said, sympathetically. “Does Melinda know about her uncle Ridley?”

“She knows he existed, that I loved him dearly and he died at 15 but I’ve never told her what I’ve told you because I don’t want her to be angry with her grandparents. Unlike Claude, my parents realized and admitted their part in it and have never forgiven themselves. On the other hand, Ridley’s also one of the skeletons they don’t discuss.” She watched Janice take her first drink. “I told myself then that if any of my children were ever revealed to be homosexual that I would do my best to support them and love them no matter what. I would never destroy them like Ridley was destroyed by people he believed loved him. I thought I’d dodged that bullet but, here we are.”

“So, you’re not throwing me out?”

“No.” She reached over and placed her glass on the edge of the desk. “I adore my children and Melinda, being my only daughter, holds a special place in my heart. It’s always been my dream that she ends up with a husband and a family, that she is taken care of & has a successful marriage like her father and I had. But that’s my dream for her and clearly not her dream for her. I’ve never seen her as happy, animated, and fierce as she is when she’s around you. She’s less awkward, less shy and less Melvin and Julianna’s daughter or Ridley and John Melvin’s sister and much more Melinda Pappas. You apparently have given her a sense of self I’ve never seen in her before. She feels important as herself with you. You treat her better than any of her male suitors ever did. I’ve seen nothing but positive changes after spending a year with you. And you’ve been so sympathetic and patient about her head injury whereas the rest of us have been exasperated.”

Janice took another sip of her drink, relieved that she and Xena seemed to be pulling off the charade.

“I may not understand the kind of romantic attraction you have for each other, but I have never seen such devotion to Melinda from any of her previous gentlemen callers. You do not have to tell me you would protect my daughter with your life. I love my daughter too much to intentionally break her heart just because I may not agree with her choice of companion, only in that I’m well aware of the kind of obstacles and possible violence you will face.”

“Aren’t you concerned about what your Baptist friends might say?” Janice asked, curiously.

“I believe accepting my children unconditionally for who they are and loving them no matter what is about the most Christian thing I can do, Baptist or not. I know Melvin and I raised our children the way every other Baptist in Columbia raised their children. The only rule I betrayed was in the continuation of my and Melinda’s education. I disagree with their tenet that women should get married to a nice Baptist man right out of high school and create more little Baptists. There is plenty of time for that. Melinda is a decent, God-fearing, woman of faith. She has grown up going to church every Sunday, participated in all the youth group activities and she even wanted to be a Sunday School teacher, but women aren’t allowed to do that if there are any men members who can do the job. I disagree with my church that a woman is lesser just because she’s a woman and Jesus would turn against her just because of what her heart guided her to do.”

“That’s really admirably progressive,” Janice said, awed. “I wish the world thought like you.”

“I think most people have to experience something firsthand to provoke them to think differently than the church’s doctrine. Had it not been for Ridley, I don’t think I’d be quite so understanding. Also, I doubt that Melinda is going to settle here when she has the opportunity to be with you, wherever your travels take you. Especially if she has my blessing.”

“Does she? Have your blessing?” Janice held her breath.

“I know it’s unorthodox and if it’s found out, I will be kicked out of my church but…she could do worse than ending up with a doctor. You’re a little shorter than I figured for her but, again, I never expected my daughter to grow to be almost as tall as her father.”

“Hey, there is something to be said for us short girls,” Janice said, smiling.

“One day, women of all ages, shapes and sizes will rule the world. Men have been messing it up long enough.”

“I like that attitude,” Janice said. She paused and asked again, “So she does have your blessing?”

“Yes, if that’s what she wants. Not that I want it blasted all over the state, I mean, we still practice decorum. The biggest obstacle we’ll need to get past is that -”

“I’m a woman,” Janice finished for her.

“No. That you’re a Yankee,” Julianna said with a wink.

 
*****


After Julianna’s ‘welcome to the family’ hug, she and Janice parted ways so that Julianna could continue overseeing the party prep.

Janice, who now felt as though she was walking on clouds, could not find an opportunity to get Chet alone to find out just what exactly his game was. It was possible this was how Chet normally ‘got the girl.’ Perhaps he was that type of man who believed he should be the sole focus in a relationship, therefore eventually alienating his conquest’s friends and loved ones from her life. 

Still, Julianna pointed out that Mel was searching for someone to spend her life with that was just like her father and that Janice was more like Melvin than anyone else who courted her. So even if Melinda was looking for a husband, Chet wouldn’t be her choice. Janice also realized that most of the time women didn’t have a choice when all families involved maintained a certain prestige in society.

However, if what Julianna suspected was true, Chet didn’t stand a chance.

*****

Melinda and Janice crossed paths rarely throughout the day because their specific chores kept them busy in different areas. The few times Janice was in Melinda’s presence, Janice was nearly giddy and glowing. Melinda noticed and shook her head. Janice’s behavior was downright weird at times, Melinda thought with a smile.

*****

It was early evening and Janice relaxed before she had to get ready for the festivities. It was wonderful to be back in her old clothes. It was the only time she felt really comfortable. She laid out her “costume” and draped her leather bomber jacket over the back of the chair in her room.

She was frustrated at not being able to corral Chet but she was determined to have her say before he and John Melvin left in the morning.

In the meantime, she remembered the cigar Chet had given her on the train. She decided to finally smoke it. She would be sure to tell him how lousy it was, even if she liked it. Janice took Chet’s cigar from the inside of her jacket pocket and removed it from its cellophane wrapping. It was a little stinky but then some of the best cigars were. She was just about to stick it in her mouth and light it, when Mel, passing by Janice’s room, ran in, quickly grabbed a tissue, reached over, and snatched it from Janice. Mel put the cigar in front of her nose and sniffed. 

“What’d you do that for?” Janice asked, annoyed.

“Hemlock,” Mel said, her eyes narrowed in suspicion. She held the cigar out for Janice to smell.

“Xena?” Janice correctly guessed. It was in the eyes and aura. “It smells like a cigar.”

“It smells like animal urine,” Xena told her.

“Yeah, like a cigar,” Janice said again, bewildered.

“You can’t smoke these, Janice, they will kill you. In fact, you need to wash your hands right now.”

“What?” Janice said, shocked.

“I’m serious, Janice, wash your hands right now.”  

Janice quickly went to the bathroom connected to her bedroom and scrubbed her hands nearly raw. 

Xena appeared at the bathroom door. “Where did you get this?”

“It’s one that Chet gave me,” Janice told her.  

“How many did he give you?”

“Just one, wrapped up in cellophane.”

“Did he want you to immediately smoke them?”

“He wanted to smoke it with me, but I told him I’d rather wait because I didn’t want him staring at me, waiting for an opinion. I told him I would save it for a special occasion. But, I got curious.” Janice paused, thinking. “The cigar he pulled out of his suit pocket for himself wasn’t wrapped.” She looked at Xena. “Why would someone I’ve never met want to kill me?”

“Maybe he’s the soul of someone you met as Gabrielle,” Xena said, as she inspected the cigar. “Tell me again everything you know about him.”

His name is Chet DeGuilano, he’s from New York where his family has a couple businesses, and his family also has an apparently successful tobacco business in the Lazio region in Italy.”

“Lazio?”

“Yeah, where Rome is.”

“Rome.” Xena’s eyes became slits. “Is the name Chet short for anything?”

“Yes, Aunt Suzanna called him Chester and Chet politely corrected her and told her it was short for Chez-a-ray.”

“Cesare,” Xena repeated. Then it hit her. “Caesar,” she said, venomously spitting the name out. 

“Caesar? As in Julius Caesar? Are you telling me Chet DeGuiliano is really Julius Fucking Caesar and he’s downstairs, in the Pappas living room right now?” Janice’s voice was a harsh whisper, as she didn’t want anyone to overhear her.

“That would make sense. It would explain why I’m here, why I keep coming back,” Xena said, suspiciously.

“What could he possibly want? And how did he find your ancestor out of all the women on this planet?”

“My guess is it has something to do with some kind of deal he made with the Fates. He’s calculating and he probably feels he is still owed his ‘destiny’ that was taken away when he was assassinated.”

“So he chose to come back when the world is at war?”

“Why not? That’s when he’s in his element. It’s the perfect time for him to show up.”

“Do you think he could conquer Hitler?” Janice asked.

“Hitler. The guy Ares would have helped as the God of War had he been let out of his tomb?”

“Yes. Him. Fucking horrible excuse for a human being.”

“Ares?”

Janice looked over at her. “Yeah, him, too.” She contemplated her choices, walked over to the nightstand and pulled out her revolver, then said, “I’m gonna kill him.”

“Oh, no,” Xena said, stopping Janice in her tracks. “You can’t. I was robbed of the pleasure the first time, I have to end him. Like I said, it’s the reason I’m here.”

“You can’t murder him, Xena. You can’t do that to Mel. Mel has a pure heart and conscience, and she would never be able to live with the fact that, even as you, she killed somebody.”

“Then we have a problem because you can’t kill him.”

“Why not? He did intend to poison me and I’ve still got the cigar to prove it.”

“And if no one believes you, you go to prison for the rest of your life, leaving Mel alone. That’s not a solution.”

“How can you get rid of him without sending Mel to prison?”

“I have many skills,” Xena growled.


*****


Janice was angry and concerned about Xena’s plan, but she had agreed it was the only way to put a stop to all that was going on. Janice was anxious but she noticed that ever since they figured out the reason for Xena’s presence, her eye stopped twitching.

She headed downstairs to see if she could find ‘Chet’ before the party started. There was still a lot of preparation activity, staff performing last minute tasks, so she didn’t feel awkward for being out of costume.

As Chet entered the parlor with John Melvin, Janice hooked her arm around Chet’s. “Excuse us,” Janice said to John Melvin and escorted Chet into another room that was empty. She shut the door behind him. 

“Lovely to see you again, Janice,” Chet said, his curiosity and smarmy demeanor seeping through.

“I’ll bet. You want to explain to me why you gave me a cigar laced with hemlock?”

Chet took a step backwards, his expression one of feigned indignance. “I did no such thing.”

Janice folder her arms across her chest. “Don’t lie to me, you fucking snake. I was there, remember?”

“Dr. Covington, such language.” Chet’s tone was patronizing, his expression now ingratiating. “You keep talking like that and no man will ever want you for his wife.”

“That’s the least of my worries.” Janice said.

“Oh, that’s right. You only have eyes for Melinda. Some things never change,” he muttered. “Don’t worry, Janice, Melinda’s destiny is already planned out. I hardly think the Pappas family will choose you over me for Melinda’s hand in marriage. After all, you can’t legally get married, you’re poor and they will never allow her reputation to be ruined by being involved in a perverted, sordid liaison with a woman. Especially a woman like you. That’s a scandal they would never permit,” Chet said, smugly. 

“Have you discussed this with Mel’s mother?” Janice asked, trying to hide a smirk.

“Certainly not. I’m sure it’s a subject, even if they suspect, that is not one to be brought up in polite company.”

“So you tried to get rid of me by poisoning me?”

“That was Plan A.”

“You have a Plan B?” Janice asked.

“There’s always a Plan B.”

“I could have you arrested right now for attempted murder,” Janice spat out. “I still have the evidence.”

“No one would believe you over me,” Chet said, arrogantly, shaking his head. “I would tell the authorities you did this to yourself to set me up. After all, you’re the one who suffers from the perversion of being in love with another woman and I’m your competition. I’d tell them whatever would appease their heterosexual, misogynistic hearts. I know how to play their game. You don’t. You would be the one hauled off to jail or an asylum. How do you think that would settle with Melinda and her family?”

“Melinda knows me so she would know you were lying.”

“Maybe. But we both know she’s not strong enough to disgrace her family over you.”  

“You really are a piece of shit.” Janice was so angry, she felt was shaking. “The good news – for me – is that you’re going to lose. You may think you’re in charge and you have all this figured out but you don’t and you’re not.”

Chet shrugged. “We’ll see.”

“Game on,” Janice told him and left the room. 

Guests were starting to arrive so Janice headed upstairs to get into her party clothes.

*****


Xena entered Janice’s room, dressed in the Helen of Troy attire Melinda had planned on wearing. “Good. You’re back. Did you call him by his real name or tell him I know who he is?” Xena asked.

“No, I wanted to leave that surprise up to you.” Janice said, having calmed somewhat. “I can’t imagine what he was like when he actually held power because he’s a soulless, obnoxious, dick in this incarnation.”

“He was that, multiplied. It’s why he needs to be stopped. Listen…I know my being here hasn’t been easy for either you or Melinda but if this is the decision of the Fates, it could all be resolved here.”

“I thought you didn’t believe in the Fates,” Janice said.

“No, I believe in them, I just don’t trust them. So, if it all ends tonight and I don’t come back, I just wanted you to know that it’s been a pleasure. Especially that first night,” she said, smiling salaciously.

“Xena!” Janice admonished in a harsh whisper, “I thought we were never going to talk about that!” Her blush caused Xena to chuckle. When the color of Janice’s face went back to its normal shade, Janice said, “It’s been an honor, Xena. But I hope I don’t see you again unless you show up to save Mel’s life.”

“Which is exactly what I did this time. But I understand the sentiment.”

“Thank you, Xena. Now, you go get this party started and I’ll be down when I’ve changed. Hopefully nothing exciting happens before then.”  

Then a normally bristly Xena pulled the usually thorny Janice into a hug and left without another word.

*****


Chet confidently walked across the floor, cocky smile in place. He stopped in front of Melinda and gave a slight bow. “Miss Pappas, may I have this dance?”

Xena stared at him for a few minutes before accepting his hand and moving out on the floor with him. He put his hand on her waist, her hand on his shoulder and he held her left hand out with his right hand as they started to sway and glide to the music. 

“You dance divinely, Melinda.” When he looked deeply into ‘Mel’s’ eyes, he saw such coldness, it made him shiver.

“Do I…Julius?” She asked, in her native language, knowing he understood.

Chet tried to hide his surprise when it hit him just who exactly he had in his arms.
“Xena. I should have figured it out when your brother said you were speaking Greek. What are you doing here?”

“I’m here to stop you from doing whatever nefarious thing you’re here to do in this incarnation. What are you doing here?”

“I’m here to court you – I mean, Melinda – ask her to marry me, and get control of the Pappas-Beaulieu fortune. Then I have the means to run for congress, governor and eventually President. With Melinda as my First Lady. Her family already loves me.”

“They wouldn’t if they knew who you really were.”

“Perhaps not but you cannot call me out without having your family think you’ve completely lost your mind. John Melvin is worried you might never recover from your concussion and Ridley believes you’ve lost some of your class and dignity by traipsing all over the world with your irritating blonde girlfriend. Marriage to me will get Melinda’s credibility back and your family back.”

“Got it all figured out don’t you, Chez-a-ray,” using the Italian pronunciation of his first name.

“Oh, darling, why so formal? I like Chet much better, although I will enjoy Melinda screaming Cesare out in passion.”  

“You think Mel will willingly have sex with you?”

Caesar shrugged and smirked. “Willingly or unwillingly, we’ll have to make babies.”

“It’s never going to happen. This country doesn’t need a dictator. You should be over in the Germanic lands, going up against Hitler, if you’re so sure of your path.”

“Hitler is doing fine on his own. He can conquer that part of the world and I will conquer this one. I’ll tell people exactly what they want to hear, promise actions I can never deliver and stay in office, just on my charm alone and good looks alone.”

“Still modest as ever, I see.”

“No need for false modesty. Not when you’re, well, me.” Caesar boasted.

“What kind deal did you make with Clotho, Lachesis and Atropos?”

“Do you honestly believe I would trust them again? No, I made my deal with the Parcae.”

“Aren’t they the Fates with Roman names?”

“No, unlike the Greek Fates, Nona, Decuma and Morta seem to have a better opinion of me.”

“I doubt that’s possible. So what’s the deal?”

“I promised Fortuna Belli I would bring more war and eventually conquer Hitler and the world in her name, for Rome.”

“And many innocent people will die.”

“It’s war, Xena. It used to be your calling.”

“And you want Melinda by your side because why? Because she physically reminds you of me?”

“It’s to be your destiny. It’s a shame Melinda doesn’t have your bloodlust, though.
We could conquer this world together.”

“Been there, done that, bought the lie. Why the Pappas’ family? They seem like decent, good people. Why would you want to condemn them to being associated with the likes of you?”

“You think they would not appreciate having more wealth and fame?”

“You mean blood money and infamy.”

“I don’t really care about any of Melinda’s family. They’re just a stepping stone.”

“Even John Melvin?”

“Especially John Melvin. He’s too sentimental. He doesn’t have the guts for what needs to be done.”

“You mean he doesn’t have the hatred or the unparalleled pestilential ego for what you want to be done.”

“ToMAYto, ToMAHto.”

“You don’t think you can be stopped.”

“Not this time and definitely not by you without damaging Melinda or her family.”


*****


Janice tried to stay close enough to hear their conversation without being conspicuous, but it was getting more difficult with Xena subconsciously guiding her dance partner toward the back patio which was farther away from her access point. Caesar’s hubristic smirk remained in place during whatever conversation they were having, as though Xena posed no threat to him. 

Janice was fully aware of what Xena had planned as she was the lookout to make sure they had a moment alone. She finally made it over to the open patio doors to see they were indeed by themselves in that setting. She kept her back to the door so she could divert anyone from going out there until Xena completed her mission.

She then heard Xena say to Caesar, “This isn’t for me, this is for all humanity.” An odd noise came from Caesar. “You remember M’Lila? She taught me this so it’s doubly satisfying. I’ve just cut off the flow of blood from your brain. You’ll be dead in thirty seconds. You will feel an intense pressure in your head. I have paralyzed your jugular. You are immobilized and suffocating. You will lose consciousness due to hemorrhaging and you will die within seconds now.”

Caesar sounded as though he was trying to yell for help but his incapacitated voice box only produced desperately dry whispers. Then nothing. Janice was about to enter the patio to make sure Xena got the job done when a terrified Mel raced by her into the parlor screaming for help.

Before she ran after Mel, Janice stepped out onto the patio and saw Caesar, in a supine position with his eyes fixed and dilated. She had to be sure, so she approached him and encircled his wrist, placing her thumb on his radial artery. There was no heartbeat that she could feel. There was no movement in his chest, no breath coming from his nose or parted lips.

People, led by Melinda and John Melvin, poured out onto the patio, and ran up to Janice. 

Julianna broke through the crowd with the man she’d introduced to Janice as Dr. Applekamp, who’d been attending the party. “Melinda, what happened?” she asked as Dr. Applekamp and John Melvin dropped to their knees to attend to ‘Chet.’

“I don’t know,” Melinda cried, anguished. She looked at Janice, a frantic question in her eyes.

“I just walked out and he seemed to be choking and wheezing before he went unconscious. Everything happened so fast,” Janice explained, trying to match Melinda’s distraught tone.

Julianna turned to one of her guests. “Please call an ambulance.”

“No need,” Dr. Applecamp stated, solemnly. He looked up at Julianna. “He’s gone.”


*****


Several hours later, after the party had broken up and the guests had dispersed, the police and the coroner were called, pertinent people were interviewed, statements were taken, Caesar’s body was finally removed. Ridley stayed and Edison stayed up to make sure the house and the premises were cleaned and all remnants of a gala had been taken away.

Julianna, John Melvin, Melinda and Janice sat in the kitchen and had coffee, rehashing the tragedy that had left all but one of them shocked. The main question was how a healthy young man, in the prime of his life, could die just like that. John Melvin seemed to be the most mournful of the group but that wasn’t unusual being that they been acquainted the longest.

After Melinda proclaimed she wanted to try and get some sleep, she hugged her brother for a few minutes, neither saying anything except ‘I’m sorry’ and ‘goodnight.’ Julianna kissed John Melvin on the cheek. The next few days were going to be especially rough on him. His return trip to Charleston Naval Base had been postponed while they made arrangements for him to accompanying ‘Chet’s’ body back to Hawaii and then to New York to be buried with his deceased family members. 

Everyone went quietly to their bedrooms, but Melinda backtracked and stood at the door in Janice’s room. “Janice?”

“Are you okay, Mel?” Janice asked, sincerely. The evening had been confusing and traumatic for her.

“What happened? I don’t remember anything until I was suddenly there staring at
Chet’s dead body. Did…did Xena do something to him?”

Janice wanted to but knew she couldn’t lie to Mel. She sat on the bed and patted the place beside her. “Come here and I’ll tell you.”

Hesitantly, Melinda approached and sat next to Janice.

“Chet wasn’t who you thought he was,” Janice began.

“He wasn’t a lieutenant-commander in the Navy?”

“Yes and no.”

“What does that mean, Janice?”

“It means we know why Xena kept returning and possessing your body. It had to do with Chet. Chet’s full name was Cesare DeGuilliano. If you mixed that name up a little it resembles the name Julius Caesar. Chet was Caesar.”

Melinda just stared at Janice, trying to comprehend what she was saying.

“I know it’s a little difficult to understand but it was Xena’s destiny to stop Caesar and she missed the last time.”

“Stop? You mean I…Xena, killed Chet to repay an old debt?” Melinda couldn’t grasp the enormity of that thought and became indignant. “I know Chet was a self-centered crumb but last I knew that didn’t deserve a death sentence!” 

“Melinda,” Janice began calmly, “There was no such person named Cesare DeGuilliano or Chet DeGuilliano. The man who died tonight was Julius Caesar. He made a deal with the Italian Fates and their goddess, Fortuna Belli, the fortune of war to return so he could conquer the world, in the name of Rome.”  

“What did that have to do with me?”  

“Somehow Caesar found Xena’s descendant – you - and decided this was the perfect time to return. He planned on becoming president of the USA, on the backs of your family’s money and influence, then ascend to dictator of the world by beating Germany in war and he wanted you by his side. That’s where Xena came in.”

“What? But, but, that’s unbelievable,” Melinda stated, obviously believing it.

“Says the woman who’s been trading souls with a nineteen hundred-year-old warrior for the past few days.”

“He just didn’t seem like he was that bad of a man.”

“He tried to murder me, Mel,” Janice said, flatly.

Mel’s demeanor suddenly changed. She turned to face Janice. “He what?

“Yeah, remember that cigar he gave me on the train? It was laced with hemlock. If Xena hadn’t recognized the odor and stopped me, I’d be dead right now and you’d probably be on your way to being engaged to the future Hitler.”

“No. No, I wouldn’t, Janice. Not as long as I had a say in it. I know my family would want me to be married to a wealthy, successful man but that’s not my dream.” Melinda locked eyes Janice. 

Janice swallowed audibly. “Tell me honestly, what is your dream, Mel?” The electricity that was crackling between them made Janice lose her breath.

“I know this might end our friendship, but you need to know, especially after coming so close to losing you. You’re my dream, Janice. I want to be with you. I’ve wanted to be with you from the first moment I walked onto your dig site in Macedonia. I want to build a life with you.”

Janice’s heart was nearly pounding out of her chest. “I want the same.”

“You…you do?”

“Yes, you oblivious dame! Didn’t you ever wonder why I never had any male companionship the year you’ve been with me?”

“Well, no, I just figured you’ve always been really dedicated to the job. I mean I never sought out male companionship either, but you never suspected me.

“You never had to seek out male companionship because the offer was always there. You’re a man magnet, wherever you go.”

“And I never accepted any invitations. Didn’t that make you suspicious?”

“No, I just thought you wanted to prove you were serious about the profession.” They stared at each other and both broke out into silly grins. “Boy, have we wasted a lot of time,” Janice finally said.

“We could remedy that,” Melinda said, suggestively.

Janice almost fanned herself. “Don’t tease me like that.”

“I’m not teasing,” Melinda said reaching over and taking Janice’s hand, rubbing her thumb over Janice’s fingers.

“Here? In your mother’s house? That’s brave of you. Have you ever, um, done this before?”

“I’ve never been intimate with anyone, Janice.”

Janice nodded in understanding. She brought Melinda’s hand to her lips and kissed it. “I will be honored to be your chosen and as much as it kills me to say this, I’m not comfortable having our first time in your house with your family surrounding us which means we’d have to inhibit our responses.”

“I’m not sure I understand.”

“Neither of us have any idea how loud you might be in the throes of passion and both our bedsprings squeak.” Janice smiled at Melinda’s blush. “And I will not subject myself to your mother’s scrutiny tomorrow morning should any of that happen tonight.”

“That’s a good point. Oh, my. My mother. This will break her heart.”

“I believe talking to your mother about this will be easier than you think.”

“I doubt it, I am not going to say anything yet. I need to get used to the idea myself, first.”

“Could you get used to snuggling with me tonight?” Janice asked.

“My room or yours?”

“Yours. No one would dare just to walk in on you without knocking.”

Melinda stood up, still clasping Janice’s hand. They silently walked to her room and shut the door.

 

*****


The atmosphere in the Pappas home was still somber the next morning. Julianna was at her church, Suzanna was uncommonly quiet and John Melvin was already on the phone with Chet’s superior officer, retelling what happened and getting confirmed orders. Ophelia couldn’t stop leaking tears as she prepared breakfast.

“Why are you crying, Ophelia?” Janice asked, as kindly as she could. “You really didn’t know him.”

“He was one of God’s children the good lord called home. I’m sad that it was his time. So young, so handsome, so rich. And I was really hoping for wedding bells next year for you, Miss Melinda. You would have made a beautiful couple and would have made beautiful babies.”

Melinda and Janice exchanged fond looks before Melinda said, “Even if he had not passed away last night, there would be no wedding bells and no beautiful babies. He was just not my type, Ophelia. Besides, I would not be able to go back to Greece with Janice and continue our important work.”

“You’re not getting any younger, Miss Melinda. No offense, Janice, but how will either of you meet appropriate men to settle down with when all you seem to care about is getting dirty and sweaty every day in foreign countries?” Ophelia asked, which prompted an eyebrow raise from Mel. 

“You never know, Ophelia,” Janice said. “There are a lot of insanely wealthy shipping magnets in Greece.”

That made Ophelia pause. “But then you wouldn’t be able to live here and give your mama grandbabies to spoil every day.”

“If it’s that important to her, Mama can move to Greece,” Melinda said. 

“You know your mother would never leave South Carolina,” Ophelia said, annoyed. “Now you’re just being sassy.”

“You’re right. I apologize, Ophelia. I guess I’m just tired of the insinuation that I need to find a husband right this minute or I’m going to shrivel up into spinsterhood. I should get married when the time is right and I’m in love, not on anyone else’s schedule. I have many more years where I can bear children. I’m not in a hurry.”

Melinda and Janice had discussed children last night. If they decided they wanted a family, they would find a way to create one. Right now, they just wanted each other and getting dirty and sweaty. They didn’t care if the world didn’t accept them, they would be discreet and pay attention to the laws in the countries they dug in to not be blatantly disrespectful.

Even though they did not make love last night, they knew that would happen sometime soon. Their cuddling and waking up in each other’s arms was sustaining for now and hopefully until they got back to their own apartment in Greece. Now that they had admitted their deep love for each other, they agreed their connection had been preordained. Melinda did not want to talk about her future with anyone else but Janice.

“You don’t even act sad about what happened yesterday,” Ophelia accused. Apparently, she didn’t want to accept Melinda’s plan for her own future.

“Of course I was affected. He died at my feet. I spent the entire night agonizing over what happened but, like Janice said, I really didn’t know him and the time I did spend with him, I’m not sure I really wanted to get to know him. So, yes, I was sad that he lost his life and I prayed for him. Honestly, John Melvin needs to be comforted much more than I. He lost a best friend. He lost someone he knew well. Let’s all stop pretending he was my boyfriend, fiancé or future husband. He was a stranger to me. It was a horrific experience, but I am giving in the proper amount of grief for the situation.”  

Janice was mildly surprised at the acrimonious tone to Melinda’s voice. But she was more surprised that Ophelia seemed so cross.

Finally, Ophelia sighed. “I just worry about you, Miss Melinda.” She set a plate of hot pancakes in front of Melinda and Janice. 

“I know, Ophelia.” Melinda’s now conciliatory intonation matched Ophelia’s. She pinched the bridge of her nose. “It’s been a bizarre week, with my odd behavior from the concussion and Chet’s sudden death, we’re all on eggshells. With what happened yesterday, I realized death can come at any time. I don’t want to waste it fulfilling everyone else’s vision for me. Please, just let me live my life. Please.”

Ophelia grabbed Melinda’s hand and squeezed it before returning to the stove.

Just then, Suzanna entered the kitchen, looking sorrowful, her eyes red and puffy from crying. She looked at Melinda and said, “I’m so sorry, darlin’.”

Melinda rolled her eyes, ready to run the gauntlet again.


*****

Bags packed and ready to leave, Janice and Melinda went downstairs to say goodbye. Edison would drive them to their train to head back to New York so they could fly back to Greece. As Melinda spent a long time saying goodbye to John Melvin, when Julianna hugged Janice, she whispered, “You didn’t sleep in your bed last night.”

Janice’s eyes flew wide open. “How do you know that? The doors were closed.”

“Melinda’s was, yours wasn’t.”

The conversation was continued in a hushed volume. “We didn’t do anything, Mrs. Pappas, I swear. We talked most of the night,” Janice protested.

“Good to know. I wouldn’t allow my daughter to have unmarried relations under my roof, if her suitor was male, so I feel it’s only fair I shouldn’t allow it when her suitor isn’t male. So you talked? About your feelings?”

“Yes, ma’am, and you were right. The feelings are mutual.”

“Do you intend to make an honest woman of my daughter, Dr. Covington?”

“Your daughter is already an honest woman, Mrs. Pappas. I intend to make her an exclusive one.”

“You do that. Does she know I know?”

“Not yet.”

“I’m sure it will come up.” She hugged Janice again. “You have a safe trip back to
Greece and you take care of my darling girl.”

“I will make it my life’s mission,” Janice said, with conviction. She then said her farewells to Suzanna, Ophelia and John Melvin. She once again comforted him on the loss of his friend and promised to stay in touch. “I’m going to help Edison load up the car. I’ll see you out there, Mel.”

Ten minutes later, Melinda joined Janice in the car. She had clearly been crying. “Can we make it a point to come back here at least once a year? I really miss my family.”

I don’t see why not. And there’s no reason your family cannot come to Greece to visit us.”

The ride to the station was quiet and contemplative. Edison unloaded and helped carry suitcases to the private compartment Melinda and Janice had reserved. Edison said his goodbyes and soon after, the train started to move. 

Janice looked at Mel and then at the interior of their compartment. “We have 18 hours to spend on the train. Whatever shall we do?”

“Are you propositioning me, Dr. Covington?” Melinda asked, coyly.

“I’d be a damned fool if I wasn’t,” Janice responded.  

“How romantic,” Melinda declared, sarcastically.

Janice grinned and took Melinda’s hand, leading her to the berth. She pulled
Melinda close and gently pressed her lips against the taller woman’s. The kiss was tender. “Are you sure you want to do this here?” Janice asked after the kiss broke. “We can wait until we get back to Greece.”

“We absolutely cannot wait that long, Janice Covington! I want you right here and right now,” Melinda told her.

“Oooo, I love it when you get demanding.”

“Then take me to bed, Janice, before my knees go any weaker.”

“Your command is my wish, M’Lady,” Janice said, bowing. As the train rocked to a settled rhythm, Janice was about to introduce Melinda to a rocking rhythm of her own. It was going to be a glorious eighteen hours.

****

On the flight back to Greece, Melinda slept soundly in her comfortable first-class seat next to Janice. The expression on Mel’s face was one of bliss and satisfaction. Janice smiled, confident that Melinda’s introduction to sex was pleasurably fulfilling. She certainly responded to Janice’s touch enthusiastically and was practically insatiable after their initial coupling.

The memory of being a part of Melinda’s sexual awakening and coaxing her to her first orgasm caused Janice to involuntarily shiver in an intimately pleasurable way. If she never did anything else in her life, the expression of ecstasy she caused on Melinda’s face when Melinda climaxed was one moment she would never forget. Holding a weeping Melinda after she recovered from that orgasm, soothing her southern belle when the resulting emotions were just too much, brought another tender smile to Janice’s face.

She never expected Melinda to be so passionately uninhibited and Janice could feel her nether regions becoming warm just thinking about it. Melinda exuberantly committed to reciprocating everything Janice did, and Janice was astounded at what a quick study the translator was. Melinda may have been coltish in her every day life but here was nothing awkward about Melinda in bed. Every time they made love (which at one point felt like a marathon) it just seemed to get better and better.

Make love. Janice had never used that phrase before when recalling her rather randy past. It was always ‘having sex’ and ‘fucking.’ With Melinda, however, what they did together could only be described as making love. Janice’s entire heart and soul went into the effortless action.

Then Janice realized that she was tired, too. In fact, she was exhausted. She got comfortable and fell asleep staring adoringly at her lover.

Her lover.

Melinda Belinda Pappas.

Life was good.

*****

The End

(Sort of)

 

 Bard's Page

Back to the Academy