Author: Cheyne Curry

Email: Cheyne255@gmail.com

Title: The Taking of Gabrielle

Disclaimer:  Xena, Gabrielle and all recognizable characters from XWP belong to Universal and Renaissance Pictures. The unrecognizable ones are mine. No infringement intended.

Fandom: Xena: Warrior Princess/Conqueror (Part One)

Rating: R

Warning: This is an F/F tale. If that's isn't your cup of ouzo, move along, there's a straight tavern down the street.

Violence Warning: Yes, there is violence and sex. It is a Conqueror story, after all.

Summary: Xena the Conqueror enlists Ares help to get the one thing she doesn't have yet and ends up getting the only thing she ever needed.

Spoiler or Other Information: My first (and I am sure ONLY) attempt at a Conqueror fic.

*****

 

Conqueror's Palace in Corinth ^

Part One

****

“Ares…” The voice that called for the God of War was silky smooth, confident, demanding, impatient - just like the woman to whom it belonged. Lord Xena, the Conqueror, unprecedented ruler of all Greece, most of Persia, Asia Minor and a good bit of the northwestern Italic Peninsula, was in a remote section of her palace in Corinth. This chamber was where she came to be totally alone and occasionally call on her mentor. “Ares, I need to speak with you. Now.”

The tall, muscular, handsome and swarthy God of War appeared before her. His attire spoke volumes about his character – ornamental silver studs overlaid black leather clothing, embroidered with metal and even more leather – flashy and formidable. He was intimidating to everyone but his chosen, Xena of Amphipolis, a young woman he plucked from obscurity and groomed to be his mortal counterpart. He created a monster and he was proud of it; he just never expected her to grow to be so flawlessly beautiful in addition to her other exemplary accomplishments. His goal had been to create a ruthless, undefeatable warrior, not the constant object of his barely controllable lust. “What is so important that you called me away from The Areopagus? They just did a sacrifice for me and I am about to preside over the trial of Aeschylus, so make it snappy.”

“What did Aeschylus ever do to you? His Greek tragedies aren't that bad.”

“I don't know, I think some might actually read them as history. I wouldn't want people to get the wrong impression of how we live.”

“No, we wouldn't want that,” Xena said, dryly. “We want people to remember the believable things, like Cycnos still trying to build that temple out of the bones of insurgents.”

“Yeah. Like that.” He studied her exceptional exquisiteness; hair black as a moonless night fell halfway down her back, skin the color of cinnamon accented her Greek heritage, teeth like the whitest ocean pearls and eyes like the Aegean made her his consummate wet dream. Her looks were matched only by her deadly instinct for survival and world dominance. And she was tall enough to look Ares eye to eye. Ares could not have found a more, perfect woman if he had asked Zeus to make one for him.

“Ares, I've made a decision. I want what I don't have.”

“Well, there's a newsflash.” He rolled his eyes and crossed his arms.

“This is serious. I want heirs.”

Ares' mouth dropped open and then he regained his train of thought. “Well, then, I'm your god!” He approached her. “I knew you'd come to your senses. When do you want to start?” He began to unhook his leather trousers.

Xena smirked. “I don't want your children, Ares. I want my children.”

“What's the difference? They'll still be yours…and mine.” He sighed and refastened his pants. “What do you want?”

“I don't want to be pregnant. I can't lead my army into battle if I am with child. I can't take the time away from my rule to bear children. It will make me too vulnerable to my enemies. I want you to find me a virgin and then give me the power to seed her.”

“Are you insane? Why would I want to do that?”

“If I procreate, it will give me someone of mine to pass on my reign to…and give you someone to mentor after I'm gone.” Xena smiled and knew that would get to him.

Ares nodded, contemplating her words. “You have a point.” He rubbed his strong, bearded chin. “So you want me to gift you with the power of, what, fatherhood?”

“You can give me the power to sire.” Xena grinned conspiratorially at him. “I like that phrase much better.”

“That means you want more than one heir.”

“At least two. In case something happens to one of them.”

“I can see it now…Ma and Pa Xena on the farm. This is some commitment for you. The Destroyer of Nations with a family? Won't that make you vulnerable through them? A wife? Children?”

“Not if I keep them protected in the palace; until my heirs are ready to start earning their rightful place in the kingdom. If they cannot protect themselves by that time, they cannot protect the Conqueror's legacy and they deserve to die.”

“Oh yeah, you've got nurturing parent written all over you. Why does their mother have to be a virgin?”

“Because that's what I want. I want her untouched except by me.”

“Why do I have to get you a virgin? There has to be at least one girl in the palace who can conceive that you or your Army hasn't deflowered.”

“I defy you to find one,” Xena challenged.

Ares closed his eyes and used his inner capacity to scan the females in the eligible age group. He laughed and then opened his eyes. “Okay, how about Corinth?” As she stared at him with a skeptical raised eyebrow, he once again scanned. It took him a moment, then he opened his eyes and gave her an appreciative once-over. “Xena, you have been a very bad girl. I'm impressed.”

“I have to channel my battle lust somehow when I'm not defeating the Resistance and gaining territories.” Xena's expression was shameless. “What of the outer colonies of Corinth? There has to be virgins left in those villages.”

“You could start high northeast - Antigonia, Sane, Olythus, Mecyberna, Aphytis, Poteidaia …” Ares made a doubtful face. “Possibly…hard to say with your armies' residual combat ardor. I can't even promise you virgin sheep, much less women.”

“I went through that region two winters ago. Big Resistance areas. I know you haven't forgotten the…fire. My detachment leaders burned down Sane, Aphytis and Poteidaia but the others were compliant so we left them standing, although most of the adults who would not join my Army had to be crucified.”

“Then I guess you'd have to look for women who weren't quite fifteen summers old then but would definitely meet your criteria now.”

“Cute.”

“Poteidaia has been rebuilt. To a smaller scale, of course. There is rumored to be a small Resistance outpost there.”

Xena shot him a sharp look. “Again? Why hasn't my north battalion commander reported that to me?”

“Because he doesn't know. The hipparchos commander does, though. In fact, he's fostering the rebels.”

“When were you going to tell me this?” Xena's expression revealed mild annoyance.

“When it became inevitable. I wanted to see if Pantheras found out first and how he handled it. Remember, Xena, you may be the Conqueror but I am the God of War. You know what I want you to know when I want you to know it.”

“Reminding me of my place, Ares?”

“Sometimes it's necessary.”

Xena pondered this. “Who is Pantheras' hipparchus for that region?”

“Eusebius.”

“Ah.” Xena clearly recognized the name. “He was always a problem. I had hoped transferring him to Apollonia would rein in his megalomania.”

“Then why appoint him?”

“I didn't. I left it up to Pantheras. Pantheras is one of my best strategists. He's just got one problem; he's too loyal to old friends.”

“Then he's loyal to you.”

“I'm not his friend. I'm not anyone's friend, Ares. Acknowledging that is what keeps me where I am.”

“We're friends, Xena.”

??“I was never that naïve. You need me, Ares, just like I need you. It's mutual greed that keeps us both in power. Now…are you going to do this for me or not?”

“I'll tell you what – you find the virgin and I will give you the power to inseminate.”

“That was too easy. What's the catch?”

“The catch? The catch is that once you find your virgin, you must stay with her. You may not try out maidens at your whim. The only way this power will work is if you use it on the same woman and once this gift takes hold, you cannot touch anyone else, sexually. So choose wisely, Xena. You won't get a second chance. And I'll give you six moons, once you find the virgin, to knock her up. If you fail and you still want heirs, they will have to come from me.”

“Ah, so that's the catch. You don't think I'll find such a woman and then I'll have to submit to you.”

“That's the general idea.” His smile was lewd as he slowly appraised his protégé.

“You have such little faith in me,” Xena commented and sighed. “You should know me better than that by now. I won't fail.”

****

The next morning, Xena saddled up Argo, her magnificent palomino warhorse and rode north, accompanied by a regiment of soldiers. Their mission was to follow the lead of their commander, Lord Conqueror Xena of Amphipolis, on an expedition through certain areas of her empire to look for chaste females. No one but the Conqueror knew why and no one dared to ask. It was neither wise nor healthy to question the Destroyer of Nations, especially if the answers were not already obvious.

Even the speculation made no sense to most. The Conqueror's sexual prowess was legendary and it had never made a difference in the past whether her bed partner was a man or a woman, experienced or untouched. The only requirement seemed to be to satisfy the Sovereign's carnal whims. The battalion had stopped briefly at every major village and settlement along the way to Pantheras' command post and none of the chosen women struck her particular fancy. There was nothing normal about the wagering that took place when betting on who would be next to occupy Xena's bed, as there appeared to be nothing predictable about this gamble. The only one who would be able to beat the odds on this venture would be Xena herself.

In three days, they reached Thessalonica. Xena and her contingent stormed into the Macedonian garrison on horseback, the banner of the Conqueror waving proudly as the wind swept through the fabric of the pennant. News of her impending arrival had reached General Pantheras long before her physical presence did and he was prepared by having rounded up all known, undefiled women in his citadel.

Pantheras, a distinguished-looking, white haired, weathered, career military man, greeted the deadly, beautiful Ruler as she dismounted her warhorse, outside his headquarters. He bowed in deference as she approached him. She nodded her acknowledgment of his respect. She began to walk toward Pantheras' command post and he fell into step beside her.

“Impressive as ever, my Lord,” Pantheras said. He signaled to one of the fort's groomsmen to see to the Conqueror's horse. “To what do I owe the honor of your visit?”

“You've been made aware of my quest,” she stated.

“Indeed. And the women who fit the criteria are awaiting your…inspection. I just can't help but think there must be another reason for you to risk assessing these virgins personally. Certainly no one without a death wish would bring anyone less than pristine to you in Corinth.”

They entered the main bastion that led to a dining hall. There, standing in a silent, submissive line were eleven women of various ages.

“There are certain tasks I must perform myself, General,” Xena responded, a crooked smirk adorning her usually stern features.

“Understood, my liege.” He gestured to the group, a majority of who were too intimidated to look at the Conqueror. “They await your approval.”

Xena walked slowly through the accumulated offerings. One girl, the youngest at 13, was so frightened, she wet herself just as the Conqueror stepped in front of her. The Sovereign lifted the teen's face, assessing the youngster's appearance and bearing. “Have you bled yet?” Xena asked, in her most humane tone.

“Y-yes, my Lord. L…last m…moon.” The voice still sounded pre-pubescent.

Xena glared at Pantheras. “You offer a child to me? Exactly what kind of savage do you think I am?”

“Apologies, my Lord,” Pantheras said. “Without being sure exactly what you are in search of, I ordered my men to round up all unmarried women who were untainted.”

“Who brought this one to you?” Xena's hand gently took the young girl's upper arm and moved her out of line.

“Acacius. He is one of my advisors,” Pantheras answered.

“Who is she to Acacius?”

“His daughter, my liege,” Pantheras said, suddenly seeming to realize how seedy the arrangement sounded.

“Currying my favor with the flesh of his own daughter?” Xena's voice was a growl. “And you have made him an advisor, Pantheras?” She didn't wait for a response from the general. She looked back down at the girl. “What's your name?”

“Isidora, my Lord.”

“Isidora, go back to your father.”

“Yes, my Lord.”

Xena released her and the teenager scampered quickly out of the hall. Xena glowered at Pantheras. “I won't have a chance to address this with Acacius in private later, as much as I would like to but I am certain you will.”

“Yes, my Lord.”

“He is not to even think about bartering with the virginity of Isidora until she is – at the very least – 16 summers old.”

“But marriages are usually arranged long before then -”

She cut the general off. “Is there a reason you are questioning my judgment?”

“No, Lord Xena.” He shrewdly backed down. He gave a quick bow of his head. “You orders will be obeyed.”

“Of course they will,” Xena commented, as she stepped in front of the next maiden, then the next, then the last one after that. She moved back to face the third woman in line. “How old are you?”

The tall, rather voluptuous peasant met the Conqueror's eyes with a practiced, sultry expression. “Twenty, my Lord.”

“Why are you not married?”

“The man I was promised to died in one of the Thracian conflicts, my Lord.”

“And no one has laid claim to you?”

“No, my Lord.”

“And you are still…intact?”

She looked down, demurely, then back into the pale eyes of the physical magnificence that was the Conqueror. “Yes.”

Xena swiftly pushed the woman back against the wall, holding her there with a strength that was immobilizing. Not taking her eyes off the woman, Xena said, “Pantheras, one of your men please.”

Pantheras visibly swallowed wondering what had displeased the Conqueror now and why twice in less than a pinch of sand grain, on his watch. The general snapped his fingers at one of the sentries, who responded instantly. In three long steps, the soldier was standing next to the Sovereign.

“What are you going to do?” the young woman asked, shaking.

“What you should have thought of before you decided to misrepresent yourself to me,” Xena snapped. She swung the woman around and bent her forward, over a table. She leaned down, her mouth close to the woman's ear. “Anything you want to tell me before I let this soldier have his way with you?”

Frightened beyond belief at being found out, she cried, “I…I'm not intact, my Lord. My maidenhead broke from riding horses.”

“What part of the horses were you riding?” Xena stood up and pulled the woman up with her. “Did you think I wouldn't have you checked?” Xena's voice suddenly took on a more menacing tone. She reached behind the woman and grabbed a fistful of hair, yanking backward and down until the woman was on her knees, whimpering. “Who did you think you were playing with, little girl?”

“Apologies, my Lord. I just wanted to be near the great Conqueror,” she said, nearly hyperventilating.

Even Pantheras rolled his eyes. “I'll take care of this, my liege.”

“No. You've taken care of enough,” Xena hissed. “You've been around long enough to be able to recognize a camp follower the minute you see one, General.” She released the woman's hair. “Send her to my encampment. That'll be as near as she'll ever get to me again.”

As Xena began to walk away, Pantheras said, “Do none of these offerings meet your approval?”

She stopped and faced him again. “No. Did you oversee this group personally, Pantheras?”

“No, my Lord, and I assure you I will never make that mistake again.”

“No. You won't.” She turned and walked out of the hall.

****

The contingent arrived in Apollonia a day and a half later. Pantheras had been relieved of his command and was now riding, under apprehension, with the brigade. He couldn't understand the order; hadn't he been most loyal to the Conqueror? Hadn't he always been one of her most trusted high officers? He was bewildered as to why she would punish him for something seemingly as trivial as not ensuring the innocence of the maidens brought before her. And to have appointed that arrogant upstart, Alexander, in his place was the worst blow of all. He hoped that Eusebius would not miscalculate the obvious importance of the Conqueror's directive.

Pantheras observed the residents of Apollonia as the Conqueror and her Army rode through the main thoroughfare. Colonists populated the city that reigned over a large serf community of mostly Illyrian origin. The district thrived on trade and local agriculture, as well as its large harbor, which could moor many sea vessels at the same time. The city also benefited from asphalt which was a locally supplied and valuable commodity, mostly used for caulking ships. Pantheras began to wonder if maybe he should have delegated Eusebius to running Thessalonica and he taken the lesser, albeit easier governing of Apollonia.

****

Xena waltzed into the manor of the hipparchos as if she owned the place. Then Eusebius reminded himself that she did. Although he lived there, it was by her good graces that he remained. This was only the second time he had met the Conqueror in person and he had not forgotten how majestic she was, regardless of how lethal.

He openly studied her magnificent, muscular frame and could not help but feel her extraordinary presence, even as far away as they were from each other. As she approached him, he marveled at her fierce, steely and enigmatic demeanor, at once exuding magnetism and menace. There was an undeniable beauty and sensuality in her bearing and his loins began to respond as if they had a will of their own.

As any normal, red-blooded male, his thoughts were instantly libidinous; what he wouldn't give to bed the Conqueror for just one night. He then realized she seemed to be reading his thoughts and responded with rather a salacious smile of her own.

Why not me? Eusebius thought. I'm young, manly…I've been told I'm handsome, even princely… I have resources and I've certainly brought her plenty of lucre through commerce by fairly and judiciously building up Apollonia the way I have…

There were, however, a few glitches – she was there to find an innocent maiden, not a virile male… but maybe that procurement wasn't for her. The Conqueror's appetite for experience and variety was well known; why would she tie herself down with an innocent? And, of course, he was nurturing the Resistance, which could certainly come back to bite him if she found out but maybe if he became more of a confidant , he could convince her that compromise wasn't always a bad thing. Maybe his goal of conquering the Conqueror and becoming the Emperor could actually happen.

Eusebius bowed then strolled assuredly toward the seductive Sovereign, ready to grasp her arm in a warrior greeting when, in a flash, she removed her sword from her scabbard and in one swift move, separated his head from his shoulders.

****

Pantheras gasped and watched, horrified, as the sandy-haired captain's head thudded to the ground with a twitching body collapsing shortly after. The Army and the gathered crowd were speechless as the Conqueror wiped her bloody sword off on Eusebius' tunic.

“Let this serve as a warning,” Xena announced, almost nonchalantly. “I will not tolerate traitors. I will not tolerate insolence or complacency. I will not tolerate any insubordination or even minor betrayals. If anyone here thinks they can rule better than I, then challenge me now for the position I hold in the Realm. Either you are with me or you are against me. If you are a part of my military, you will respect my rule and my decisions. Anyone who goes behind my back and thinks they can undermine my authority and betray me? I will find out. I always find out. Just ask Eusebius…oh, wait, you can't.” Her expression was smug. She was confident this would send a proper message. “I'm sure Eusebius planned a proper feast. Let's all enjoy it before we are on our way,” she announced.

Xena resheathed her sword and walked back to Argo. She handed the reins to a stable hand that was standing by. “Lord Conqueror…” Pantheras shaking voice called to her. “I don't understand.” He dismounted and walked over to her.

“I know, Pantheras. This was also a lesson to you. You have always been one of my best generals but there was too much going on right under your nose that you should have been aware of. I don't know if that's because you're getting old and neglectful or if commanding all this territory was too much for you to keep track of. If your service to me had not been so exemplary, it would be your head on the ground, too. But I don't feel you deserve that.”

“What are you going to do with me?”

“After we eat, I will move on to continue my mission but you will go back to Corinth by guarded escort to be reconditioned and retrained.” She faced him squarely. “Unless you'd rather be…retired. That, of course will be your choice.”

Knowing what ‘retired' meant in the Conqueror's Army, he wisely chose to return to Corinth. “I will not fail you again, my liege.”

“I know, Pantheras.” She then addressed the man who picked up Eusebius' head. “I want that sent back and staked at the palace gates.”

****

The back door to the Boar's Head Tavern burst open and Perdicus ran in, frantically searching for his betrothed. The young man had just turned eighteen winters old and up to that moment, believed the worst in his life had passed. Until that moment, he felt that helping to rebuild his town, making a home (and hopefully children) with his soon-to-be wife, farming and watching out for his future sister-in-law had been his biggest concerns. The dark haired, cherubically handsome pacifist spotted his fiancé, pacing in concentration before her bardic performance moments away.

“Gabrielle!” He moved toward her, catching her attention.

The petite, fair-skinned Gabrielle turned, startled at Perdicus' unexpected appearance and clear distress. “What's wrong? Where's Lila?” she asked, suddenly concerned for her younger sister.

He reached her, stopped and bent at the waist, resting his hands momentarily on his knees, catching his breath. “She's fine. She's with Seraphin and Hieronymus.” He straightened up. “It's the Conqueror. She's on the rampage.”

“Isn't she always?” Kleon, a friend of both Perdicus and Gabrielle asked, rhetorically. He received a signal from the tavern keeper. “It's time, Gabrielle.” Kleon gestured the blonde bard toward the stage.

“Give us a moment,” Perdicus said.

Kleon began to shake his head until Gabrielle placed her hand on his arm, not taking her eyes off Perdicus. “Yes, Kleon, please give us a moment.”

Sighing, Kleon said, “Okay, I'll stall but make it quick.” He stepped onto the stage and began to delay Gabrielle's introduction with idle chatter.

“What's going on?” Gabrielle asked her betrothed, gauging his bearing.

“Eusebius is dead. The Conqueror beheaded him yesterday.”

Gabrielle's eyes widened in shock. “What? Why?”

Perdicus wiped the sweat off his forehead with the back of his hand. “Not sure, exactly. Hieronymus showed up at the farm just after you left to come here. His vanguard, Thales, who scouts for Eusebius' brigade told him that the Conqueror did the deed herself and said it needed to be a lesson to all who think of defying her and following the Resistance.”

“By the gods,” Gabrielle sighed and closed her eyes in despair. She had only met Eusebius once but she respected him and admired his bravery in defying the mission of the Conqueror in favor of the more righteous goal of the Resistance. As the vainglory lord of the realm proved today, she was still in uncontested control.

“Gabrielle!” Kleon called to her in a barely contained stage whisper.

“One more moment, Kleon,” Gabrielle told him.

“It's a full house, Gabrielle,” Kleon said, nervously. His eyes moved to the left in an exaggerated manner. She followed that direction and saw Pelagios, the tavern keeper, walking their way. Pelagios was high-strung under calm circumstances. The fact that there was money to be made from food and drinks and the evening's entertainment was late to the stage, made him positively insane, while visions of the audience walking out en masse danced in his head.

“Waylay him. I'll be onstage before he can get back here, I promise.” Kleon nodded and walked toward Pelagios. Gabrielle turned back to Perdicus. “How did she know? How could she have found out? Eusebius was always so careful.”

“How does she find out anything?” Perdicus' frustration was evident. “Gabrielle, there's more…”

“More?”

“She's not only searching the northern colonies for insurgents, she's also looking for, um…unspoiled…women.”

“What? Why?”

“I don't know. Nobody seems to know, except her.” A look passed between them; a private, unspoken familiarity where words weren't necessary. “Gabrielle -”

“Perdicus, we'll talk later. Please go look after Lila.”

“But -”

“Please?” She stepped closer to him and gave him a reassuring hug. She then stepped onto the stage to the cheers of the patrons.

Kleon made it back to Perdicus. “What was that about?”

Before Perdicus could respond, Gabrielle's voice blazed out strong, silencing the crowd. “I sing a song of Cadmus and Harmonia…”

“Cadmus and Harmonia? She was supposed to start with Echo and Narcissus,” Kleon stated, placing his hands on his hips, confused.

“The cipher changed,” Perdicus said. “A different message needed to go out.”

****

Xena and her patrol sat upon their horses outside the Boar's Head and drank their tankards of ale, while listening to the melodic voice of the talented bard inside. At one point, the Conqueror's booted foot nudged Argo's side to get the horse to move to the window so she could see if the lovely timber matched the woman verbalizing the parable. It did. And then some.

There was thunderous applause and shouts of approval. And when the audience quieted down, the bard began again.

“I sing of the trickery of Odysseus and Polyphemus, of betrayal and survival…”

A knowing smirk crossed the Conqueror's lips. “Very clever, young bard,” Xena said to no one in particular. She recognized that the storyteller's tale was code. Cadmus and Harmonia were the parents of Illyrius, who began the population of the serfs who worked for the feudal system in Apollonia. The Illyrians were growing as a self-governing community under Eusebius command. The rebels must have already heard about Eusebius' death. The second fable the bard related appeared to be advising the resistance to abscond.

Xena finished her ale as the bard completed her song.

“…and so Odysseus and his surviving supporters, clutching the under-bellies of Polyphemus' sheep, were able to escape.”

“Bring me the tavern keeper,” Xena ordered one of her lieutenants. “We need to make a house call.”

****

Gabrielle looked for Pelagios after her performances but he was peculiarly absent. She had turned over her tips to Kleon, who was already on his way to add the paltry amount the small, hidden repository that helped fund their Resistance outpost. She found Perdicus. “Have you seen Pelagios?” she asked, bewildered.

“No. I'm sure he's around. Gabrielle, please…” Perdicus took her hand and held it against his chest, close to his heart. “If The Conqueror comes to Poteidaia, I will die if she takes you away for whatever scheme causes her to hunt for virgins. Let's consummate our betrothal tonight, as soon as we get back to the farm.”

“Perdicus, no.” Gabrielle was gentle in her refusal. “I need to go home to Lila. She's the one who concerns me. I don't know what The Conqueror might be looking for but I fear Lila will fall into her category more than I. After all, I am engaged to be married. I'm sure when that is revealed, The Conqueror will assume we have already…well, you know.” She blushed at the thought.

Gabrielle was far from shy. She was, after all, one of the fundraising messengers of the Resistance in Poteidaia through coded tales she told at the Boar's Head. She was willing to fight and die for what she believed in – and what she believed was that The Conqueror's evil needed to be extinguished and she wanted to help that cause. Gabrielle hated The Conqueror with her very being yet she was less afraid of being killed by The Conqueror and more afraid of surrendering her virginity to the man she loved dearly as a friend but not as a future husband. When Poteidaia became a focus of the Realm's wrath and the area rendered unstable, Gabrielle's parents sat down with her and Perdicus and spoke frankly about the ‘what ifs.' She assured her mother and father she would honor her commitment to marry Perdicus and, if the boy her sister was betrothed to didn't survive the fire, they would take care of Lila until Lila was old enough to find a husband of her own.

When her parents, Hecuba and Herodotus, were killed during the burning of the region, known as The Conflagrarus, Gabrielle was convinced that her naiveté died along with them. She had foolishly believed that the Conqueror's reputed viciousness would never touch them so far away from Corinth, that Poteidaia was a village of poor farmers and not rich in value other than fertile soil that grew the food they could provide. As with all the surrounding towns, any young man able enough to fight in the Conqueror's Army had already been forcefully taken from their homes or executed on crosses as examples of what happened to those who resisted. The men who were allowed to stay, like Perdicus, remained to continue the production of food, which was collected and then rationed by a regional magistrate; a barely survivable amount was allocated back to the farmers to feed their families and the rest was sent off as sustenance for the closest forces of the Conqueror's soldiers.

After The Conflagrarus, which was the result of an attempted territorial takeover by a rather large Resistance battalion on the Chalcidice Peninsula, the survivors fled to hideouts deep within the nearby mountain recesses. When the blackened ground and ashes cooled, the residents cautiously returned to reestablish their individual villages. Poteidaia, the thinnest section of the Pallene promontory that separated the Aegean's Thermaic and Toronaic Gulfs, naturally repaired and irrigated the damaged loam and took one winter and one summer to once again become a high-yielding producer of crops, dairy and meat. As there was no way to hide this kind of progress from the ever-watchful eyes of the Realm, no one tried. The citizens of Poteidaia complied with all current covenants of the Conqueror's empire and hoped to avoid a repeat of the purposeful, epic firestorm that took so much away from them the last time.

Family dwellings and businesses were reconstructed using stone, instead of wood, as that material would be harder to destroy during another attack. The females of the village, who now outnumbered the males, worked just as diligently to restore Poteidaia, most of them fueled by anger to give them strength and endurance to make the village “home” again.

Gabrielle's thoughts focused back on the young man standing in front of her, apprehensively.

“Gabrielle, I would never, ever ask you to give me such a gift when you weren't ready. But if you are of no use to the Conqueror, she will leave and our lives can go on as planned. We'll get married tomorrow if it will help keep you safe.”

Perdicus' tone was gentle yet pleading. Gabrielle knew that he wasn't asking to deflower her simply because his desire was inflamed; he had too much honor and integrity. She knew he would rather die than allow her to be harmed by anyone but especially by the Conqueror. He was a good man and even though she didn't love him as a wife should love a husband, she knew he was a noble and devoted friend.

Gabrielle was fortunate to have such a hard-working, understanding man in her life…most of her peers had not been as lucky. Seraphin, for example. Hieronymus was a strong husband whose size alone intimidated many. But he was too fond of the ale and when the malt absorbed into his system, he became mean and belligerent. Seraphin wore a good deal many bruises that didn't always come from mishaps in the fields. He was also not very faithful and Gabrielle was always concerned that his roving eye would settle on her sister. Unlike Gabrielle, Lila looked forward to the day she would marry and could begin her life as a wife and a mother. That would be nearly impossible if her guileless sister fell victim to Hieronymus' drunken indiscretion.

She looked around the tavern, then back at Perdicus. He was right. She needed to protect her sister and protect the Resistance by not falling into the unscrupulous clutches of the Conqueror. She was being selfish and it wasn't about her needs anymore, especially if Eusebius had been exposed and killed. Whatever the Sovereign was up to, it couldn't be good and Gabrielle did not want to be a part of it. She might not be able to control much else but she could certainly control this.

“Let's go get Lila and we'll talk more about it later, after she's asleep.”

****

The front door splintered open. Two armed, uniformed soldiers of the Realm walked in and stood aside, making way for the Conqueror. Xena sauntered in and looked around the meager dwelling. She instructed the soldiers to pull Gabrielle and Lila out of their beds. As the sisters were dragged into the main room, two other guards escorted a disheveled Perdicus into the house.

Gabrielle's first look at the Conqueror was not what she expected. Of course, she had seen Xena's likeness on coins, on paintings and in sculptures but meeting the woman, up close and personal, was more than a shock. The sovereign was as enticing as she was intimidating, feral and fascinating, almost too beautiful for words. There was a wicked, yet amused look in sapphire-colored eyes that brimmed with intelligence and cunning. Gabrielle felt momentarily robbed of breath. She had heard tales of Xena's stunning, dark beauty but never expected someone so evil to be quite so exquisite.

As the guards held Gabrielle, she snapped out of her stupor when she watched the Conqueror approach her younger, dark-haired sister and circle her. Xena's expression became clearly salacious.

“Is this the virgin of the residence?” Xena's voice was menacingly low.

“You leave her alone! Don't you touch her!” Gabrielle wildly fought to free herself from the soldiers.

Xena pulled a terrified Lila to her, holding her around the waist. She ran the back of her hand down Lila's face. “Or what?”

“Or I will kill you, I swear it.” The conviction in the bard's voice was absolute.

Xena shoved Lila toward a guard. Perdicus grabbed her and brought her to him, protectively. The Conqueror was like a flash, suddenly in front of Gabrielle. “You'll kill me? I've gutted people for saying less.”

“I'm not afraid of you.”

“You should be.” She took a step closer, almost touching Gabrielle. “Would you trade your life for your sister's?”

“Yes.” There was no hesitation.

“Gabrielle, no!” Lila screamed at her.

Xena raised her hand to indicate silence. She never took her eyes off Gabrielle. “You might not be able to. I'm looking for a virgin. Is your sister a virgin?”

“Why? Why do you need to know that?”

“My, you are a bold little bard. Who are you to ask me questions?” Xena's voice was a seductive purr, however, the look in her eyes was threatening enough to not mistake her intent.

“How do you know I'm a bard?” Gabrielle asked. She swallowed hard at the raw power that the Conqueror exuded and, also, the strangely magnetic allure the sovereign possessed.

“I saw you perform at the tavern. I have spies everywhere. Nothing gets by me.”

“Then you shouldn't have to ask if my sister is a virgin,” Gabrielle said, defiantly.

Xena studied Gabrielle's insolent expression, then smirked. She looked over at her soldier next to Lila. “Check her to see if she's still pure.”

The soldier took an anxious step toward Lila.

“No! No, please. She's pure,” Gabrielle pleaded.

“And I should trust you, why?” Xena returned her attention to the spirited young woman before her.

Gabrielle's breath caught again at the predatory look in the Conqueror's eyes. “Please don't. She's only fifteen.”

“Fifteen? In some colonies, she would be an old maid. How old are you?”

“Seventeen summers.”

“Are you a virgin?”

“Yes.” A look of resignation passed between Gabrielle and the young man found in the barn.

“You are betrothed. You expect me to believe you haven't given yourself to him?”

“I have not.”

“You want me to check her, Conqueror?” One of the soldiers asked, a little too eagerly.

“No. I'll check her myself.” Xena took Gabrielle's wrists with one hand and held them over her head against the wall. Then displaying strength beyond what any one human should have possibly had, much less a woman, Xena easily lifted Gabrielle up so that they were eye to eye. She pressed against the smaller woman and moved Gabrielle's knees apart with her thigh. When Gabrielle tried to resist, Xena ordered the guards to hold the young bard's legs.

“Get your hands off her!” Perdicus yelled.

“Silence him,” Xena ordered, still staring into Gabrielle's eyes. “I want him to watch.” Two soldiers grabbed Perdicus; one held him, one put a hand over his mouth and another held a dagger to his throat.

“I'm not lying. You don't have to check me.” Gabrielle could barely control the quiver in her voice; she was worried now. She knew how ruthless the Conqueror could be. She had seen the results with her own eyes. She did not want Perdicus to be forced to witness whatever the Conqueror was about to do.

“I think I will see for myself.” Xena reached down and lifted Gabrielle's nightgown with her free hand. She seemed to be careful to not reveal too much, as though there were certain things she wanted to be the first to see. Xena's hand touched Gabrielle's thigh and brushed upward until she found short curls of hair. Gabrielle refused to look away from Xena's eyes, regardless of how fearful and humiliated she was at what was happening. Xena cupped Gabrielle's mound and she ran her middle finger along Gabrielle's opening. After a few seconds of light stroking, the Conqueror was rewarded with moisture.

Gabrielle could not believe her body responded in spite of her. She was mortified by her wetness and angered that the Conqueror could cause such a reaction in her. She continued to stare down at the strong woman in front of her, brazenly. It was easier to look into the eyes of evil than it was to glance at her impressionably innocent sister or her modestly submissive fiancé. When Xena finally inserted a finger, it was surprisingly gentle and only went far enough to feel the barrier that told The Conqueror exactly what she wanted to know.

A hint of a smile graced Xena's face. She held her finger against Gabrielle's maidenhead briefly before withdrawing it. She brought the finger to her mouth and sucked off Gabrielle's essence, slowly and deliberately. “Nice.” She moved her face closer to Gabrielle's.

Oh gods, she's going to kiss me! As if she thinks I want this. Gabrielle turned her head but Xena forced a kiss upon her. The heat of The Conqueror's lips against hers was jolting and she hated that it felt as good as it did. She also tasted a trace of herself on The Conqueror's tongue. The moment she realized she was actually reacting to the kiss, she made a defiant but fateful decision. She bit down on Xena's lip hard enough to draw blood.

Xena conducted herself as though the bite didn't hurt. She pulled her face back when Gabrielle released her skin and studied the headstrong young woman. She wiped the blood off and smirked. “You need to learn control, young bard. And that there are consequences for such disrespect. That little nip will cost you. You like blood? Is that it?”

“Only yours, Conqueror,” Gabrielle said, obstinately.

“Well, my blood is now off the menu. So…you get to see either your sister's or your intended's.” Three gasps were audible. “You will choose who gets to live.”

“But that means I have to choose who will die,” Gabrielle said, her voice barely above a whisper.

Xena wiped more blood off her lip. “Well…if you must put a negative spin to it.”

“I can't do that. I won't do that.”

“You will. Or I will.” Xena put Gabrielle down as the soldiers took control of Gabrielle again. Xena strolled over to Lila and stood next to her.

“No…no, please, Lord Conqueror, please! I am so sorry I was disrespectful. I promise it won't happen again. Please don't make me do this,” Gabrielle's resolve disintegrated. She looked at her sister, too terrified to speak and then at Perdicus who showed beads of sweat on his forehead. She cleared her throat, trying to retain some semblance of dignity. “Please, Conqueror, I'll do anything you ask of me… anything …please don't hurt my sister or Perdicus.”

“You'll do anything I ask of you, anyway, without conditions. That is a choice you don't have. This is a choice you do have and you will make it.”

“I can't.” Gabrielle wondered how could a woman so beautiful be so vile? “They've done nothing to you, neither should have to die.”

“You didn't have to bite me but you chose to. For what? To teach me a lesson?”

“I heard you liked that kind of thing, Lord Conqueror,” Gabrielle said, carefully.

“Oh, I see. So you did it to turn me on? Because you're just so enamored with me that you wanted me to take your virginity in front of your sister and your betrothed?” She walked slowly over to Gabrielle. “Because, if that's the case, I can certainly oblige you.”

“No, Conqueror, I misspoke.” Gabrielle was now subdued. And frightened. “I don't know what you want from me.”

“I want you to make that decision, young bard…your sister or your fiancé.”

She looked at Xena with pleading eyes. “I can't.”

“Then I will. Kill the girl.”

As the guard drew his sword, with both Gabrielle and Lila screaming ‘NO!' in the background, Perdicus broke free and tackled the swordsman before he could use the weapon against Lila. Gabrielle fought against the two soldiers restraining her, to no avail.

Perdicus and the guard wrestled wildly for control.

“Enough!” Xena commanded. “Spare him. He has…fire. I'm sure I can find a use for that energy. Bind him and let him walk with the other captives.” She turned back to Gabrielle. “You and your sister will ride with us.” Xena signaled for one of the soldiers, who snapped to attention. “Find Zephyros and send word to my outposts in Mende and Scione. Tell them my search is over and I'll be returning to Corinth.”

*****

The sisters were tied together and placed on an unsaddled horse tethered to Xena's lieutenant's mount. They left Poteidaia with a change of clothes and a minimal amount of food. Neither Gabrielle nor Lila knew what was in store for them but they would find out sooner than poor Perdicus, who would be walking to Corinth, along with other, newly acquired laborers, either prisoners from the Resistance or people who would be useful in other ways.

Gabrielle knew Perdicus would be unfairly blaming himself for being so nervous that he could not perform once they made the decision to consummate their relationship. Perhaps if she had not been less than whole-heartedly into it and more insistent, she would have encouraged him to find other, creative ways to take her virginity. Unfortunately, Perdicus was just as inexperienced as she and she cursed herself for feeling relieved when the act could not even be started, much less completed.

Shame once again colored her cheeks when she thought back to the Conqueror's touch and how it set fire to her skin, her involuntary reaction to the invasion and the look in the Sovereign's eyes as she violated her so personally in front of Perdicus, Lila and the surrounding soldiers. Gabrielle wondered why the Conqueror did not complete the act right then and there. It certainly couldn't have been any more humiliating if she had. One thrust and it would have been over. And yet, it almost seemed as though the woman was trying to protect her privacy, holding her so close, not physically revealing what she was doing even though it was obvious without the actual display. And then there had been the proof, even if anyone had been too naïve to comprehend the intention.

When the Conqueror sucked Gabrielle's essence off her fingers, showing everyone that the Sovereign had so easily lubricated her when the man who was to be her husband couldn't elicit that kind of response from her, she became angry and dismayed and, most of all, confused. How could this beast, this barbaric woman generate sexual feelings in her, hints of desire to be more accurate, bewildered her beyond belief. Gabrielle did not understand why the gods saw fit to instill her with a sense of adventure and purpose far beyond her station in life. Why couldn't she have been content being a farmer's wife and parent, like her mother, Hecuba, or like Lila was destined to be (and so looked forward to)? Why did everything have to be so complicated?

“Gabrielle?” Lila's raspy voice interrupted her introspection.

“Yes?”

“I'm so tired.” As if to emphasize that point, Lila laid her head heavily against Gabrielle's back.

“Rest, if you can. I don't know when we will stop or what awaits us when we do,” Gabrielle advised.

“Do you think Perdicus is okay?”

Gabrielle sighed, wondering the same thing. “I don't think they've killed him, if that's what you're asking.” But he was probably far from okay.

*****

“How did she know?” Kleon asked, as he walked, chained, beside Perdicus, in measured steps. This was the first opportunity they'd had to speak, as the mounted guards transpositioned.

“I don't know.” He shook his head, wearily. “I don't know how she found out about Eusebius, I don't know how she found out about us. I don't know why she took Gabrielle and Lila with her, instead of making them march with us.”

“She took Gabrielle? Took her where?”

“I don't know. With her.” Perdicus' imagination was running rampant with visuals of the Conqueror fondling Gabrielle, having her in a manner that should have been his, alone. It was bad enough he had to witness what the Sovereign had done and then to have that bitch flaunt her partial victory of touching Gabrielle so intimately that it produced the effect it did.

“Who's Gabrielle?” the man next to Kleon asked.

“Perdicus' wife-to-be,” Kleon answered, cautiously. The man wasn't familiar to him and Perdicus didn't seem to know him, either.

“Was she a virgin?” the man inquired.

Kleon smirked. “I just told you, she was his intended. What do you think?” He looked at Perdicus, who focused on the ground as they moved forward. “Gabrielle is beautiful and smart, desirable to every man in Poteidaia; no way she'd be a…” He stopped when Perdicus was conspicuously silent. “Right, Perdicus? No way, right?” Perdicus' continued reticence prompted Kleon to scoff in disbelief. “Are you kidding me? You and she never -”

“No! She wanted to wait until we were married.” He glared at Kleon, pissed off and uncomfortable.

“And when were you going to get married?” the man asked, as Perdicus and Kleon stared at each other.

“Today,” Perdicus admitted, in defeat. “We were going to marry today.”

“A day late and a dinar short, my friend,” the man said. “Your woman belongs to the Conqueror now and chances are she is a virgin no more.”

As the mounted guards settled back into their new formation, the conversation ceased. The quiet rage Perdicus felt had been magnified. It was different when he just thought about the taking of his beloved but now that it had been voiced and everyone in their faction of the Resistance knew or would soon find out that Gabrielle was the Conqueror's new body slave made him unsurprisingly homicidal.

It was at that instant, he began to wordlessly plot the murder of the beastly Monarch of the Realm.

*****

The battalion of soldiers finally found a place to make camp after riding since well before first light. The sisters were assisted to the ground and stood, guarded, until the cantonment had been set up and shifts were assigned. They were led, still tied together, to the commander's tent. Gabrielle wondered where the Conqueror was but she didn't have to speculate too long. Xena swept in, looking more refreshed and relaxed than she had a right to. Yet, even in the relative solidarity of her own tent, with little threat about, Xena radiated an aura of danger.

“Untie them,” Xena ordered. When the binding had been cut, both Gabrielle and Lila began to gently massage their wrists where the ropes had chafed and rubbed the skin there raw. The motion caught Xena's attention. She walked over, took Gabrielle's forearm and lifted it outward for inspection. Grimacing, she turned to one of the soldiers. “Go to the healer and get some of her calendula flower oil and figwort and bring it back with some clean cloth.”

“Yes, my Lord,” the soldier said, bowed and hurried out of the tent.

Xena removed her armor, placing the protective coverings by the furs she used for a bedroll. She then pointed toward the pail of water that had been set in the corner. “Wash the affected skin area and something will be brought back to dress and soothe your injuries.” She walked away from them and began to take off her bracers.

Gabrielle and Lila exchanged glances of skepticism. She wanted to ask the Conqueror why she cared but she, instead, decided to be grateful. “Thank you, my Lord.”

Xena looked over at her with an entertained smirk. “Ah, she finally speaks with a civil tongue.”

Gabrielle took a deep breath. Lila put her hand on Gabrielle's shoulder and shook her head, slightly, in the hope that her sister wouldn't go off on a tangent. Gabrielle smiled reassuringly at her and took great pains to make sure her tone of voice was respectful. She turned to the Conqueror. “You've taken us from our home against our will, you've enslaved my fiancé and you clearly have plans for my… for me … this is the first civil thing you have done for us. I wanted to acknowledge it as such.”

“Not exactly the first. I didn't kill you or your sister or your betrothed. I neither beat nor raped either you or your sister or give orders for such actions to be carried out. I've kept you safe and relatively undamaged so far. Those rope burns on your wrists will be gone by the morning and I won't tie you again. I'd say I've been extremely civil.”

“I guess we have entirely different definitions of civility.”

“That's probably why you're the bard and I'm the Conqueror.” Xena started for the entrance of the tent, then stopped. “I'll be in a meeting with my battalion leaders. Your healing balms should be here soon, along with your evening meal. I cannot offer you a bath, unfortunately, since we all smell like horseshit and sweat. You'll most likely be asleep by the time I get back. If you're not, you should be. Tomorrow will be another very long day. Oh, and, don't even think about trying to escape.”

“I wouldn't dream of it, my Lord.”

Xena chuckled as she exited. Passing her, a soldier entered carrying the medicinal reparative items. He looked at the Conqueror as she left and then at Gabrielle, astonished.

“What?” Gabrielle asked, perplexed by his expression.

“The Conqueror…she never smiles like that.”

“Like what?” Lila asked.

“Like…she was genuinely amused.” He then returned his attention to the sisters and handed them the articles.

Gabrielle gave Lila the clean cloths and led her over to the wash bucket. She addressed the soldier. “So, do you have any idea why the Conqueror was searching for, um…”

“Virgins?” the soldier supplied.

Gabrielle nodded as Lila dipped the square of fabric into the cool water.

“I -”

The sound of a throat clearing interrupted them. They looked up to see the Conqueror holding the flap of the tent open. She was staring at Gabrielle. “And don't ask my men any questions, either. Not that they have any answers for you.” She gestured to the soldier. “Callias, get back to your post.”

“Yes, my Lord.”

The young guard rushed by her and she took a step inside. “Just a word of caution – do not try to seduce any of my men. If I discover that you are suddenly unchaste, I will systematically slaughter every man who came near you while out of my sight, until you tell me who is responsible and I'll start with your fiancé. Understood?”

“Yes, my Lord.”

“Good,” Xena said, then left the tent.

“Definitely a different interpretation of the word ‘civil',” Gabrielle mumbled as she began to wipe the dirt away from her sister's wounds.

*****

The contingent broke camp and started out again long before first light, continuing their trek toward Corinth. Gabrielle and Lila had been asleep when the Conqueror returned the night before and she was gone from the tent when they awoke.

The sisters had been placed in a wagon, surrounded by mounted guards so that they would not have to be tied up. The fiber burns they had received from the ropes were already on their way to being healed, just as the Conqueror had said they would.

Food had been passed along so that light meals could be eaten on the go. The soldiers were used to it. When the rations of jerky and cheese had, once again, been refused by Gabrielle, it didn't take long for word to reach the Conqueror. The sound of hoof beats thundered loudly toward the wagon, which, along with the guards, was stopped when the troops had been called to attention.

The golden warhorse pranced around the wagon until the Conqueror halted the mare next to one of the wheels. She held her hand out to Gabrielle. “Come with me.” Her tone brooked no debate.

Nervously, Gabrielle, stood as the Conqueror's arm slid around Gabrielle's waist and she was effortlessly lifted over and placed on the saddle in front of the Sovereign. One hand held Gabrielle around the waist while her other hand controlled Argo's reins. Before either sister could really react, Argo galloped off toward the front of the brigade.

“Lila…” Gabrielle gasped, trying to look back.

“Will be fine. You, however, need to eat,” Xena told the exhausted woman in front of her. “You need to stay healthy, keep your strength up.”

“Why? So I can be your body slave?” Gabrielle's voice still sounded strained. She was unnerved by the proximity of the Conqueror and knowing that by nightfall, they would be back at the palace and she would, most likely, unwillingly surrender her sexual innocence to the woman. A thought that, at once, repulsed and yet, strangely stimulated her.

“Body slave? No, you have it all wrong, young bard. I don't have slaves, I have soldiers, staff, servants and prisoners. And you will have a much more important role than just a body servant. I wouldn't go to all the trouble I did just for a body servant. I have enough of those. If all I wanted you for was to pleasure me, I would have started breaking you in last night.”

“Then why?”

“You are to be the mother of my children,” Xena said in her ear. Her tone was almost seductive and her breath against Gabrielle's skin sent a shiver through the virtuous bard.

Then the impact of her words hit Gabrielle like a sudden punch in the gut, one that knocked all the air out of her lungs. When she regained her voice, she said, “I don't understand, how -? Do you have a brother or male slave…I mean, servant that looks like you who will -”

“No. I will be doing the honors. The children we create will be yours and mine.”

“How is that possible? I may be a virgin but I know my birds and bees.”

“Don't worry your pretty little head about that. I have many skills.”

“Why me?”

Xena laughed and placed an unexpected kiss behind Gabrielle's ear. “Why not you, Gabrielle?” She whispered.

It was the first time Xena had said her name and that, with the kiss, caused Gabrielle's insides to quiver. Again her reaction of equal anger and sexual excitement flustered her. “I'll cut any child of yours out of me!” Gabrielle spat.

“No, I don't think so. You see, if you purposely do anything to harm the child you carry, I will hurt your sister. I will release her to one of my field brigades, who don't get to see a lot of women. You wouldn't want that, would you? You had a fit at just the thought of me touching her.” She pulled Gabrielle back against her. “But I must admit, I love your spirit.”

Gabrielle tried to ignore the solid body now pressed tightly against her as tears of frustration stung the corners of Gabrielle's eyes. “Why? Why are you doing this?”

“Because I can.” She reined Argo from a canter to a walk. “You will be living in a palace, birthing and raising children in a royal residence with all the benefits and privileges that come with that. You will never want for anything, never have to worry again about where your next meal is coming from or what to wear and you act as though your life is over.”

“It is. I'll be forced to live my life with you and bear your bastards.”

“Bastards? That's no way to talk about your children. And you won't be forced to live with me.”

“Just to breed, then?” Gabrielle asked, bitterly.

“Hey, if you don't want the privilege, I'll gladly bestow it upon your sister,” the Conqueror said, apparently unfazed by Gabrielle's mulish disobedience. When the bard did not respond, the Conqueror grinned and heeled Argo back into a gallop, causing the bard to grab onto the Sovereign's arm to prevent herself from falling.

It was at that moment, Gabrielle started thinking about how to get her sister safely away from the long reach of the Conqueror and her Realm.

*****

By the time they reached the palace, Gabrielle had lost her battle to stay awake. She stirred into alertness to find herself slumped back in the secure embrace of the Conqueror. She stiffened which signaled to the Sovereign that she was back among the conscious. Gabrielle's head was comfortably tucked under Xena's chin and she knew she should sit up and move away from the she-demon but her body was as tired as her mind and her energy was low. She decided that wasn't enough of an excuse and slowly moved forward on the saddle.

Gabrielle noticed that they were well inside the municipal boundaries of Corinth and almost to the palace. Loyals lined the streets to hail the Conqueror's return as scouts had arrived a mere gnoman shadow ahead of the Army to announce that the Ruler had defeated a wing of the Resistance. While cheering, many in the crowd pointed to Gabrielle, with questioning expressions.

“What, your town crier didn't tell everyone you were bringing back a live trophy?” Gabrielle said, turning to look at the Conqueror.

“Don't worry, Gabrielle, they'll know who you are soon enough.”

The smug countenance of the Sovereign prompted Gabrielle to focus elsewhere before she did something really foolish, like spit in the Conqueror's face. Argo's hooves clopped noisily onto the drawbridge at the courtyard entrance to the royal estate, which startled the bard. When she looked down, something in the corner caught her eye. She leaned forward, squinting. Horrified, she clamped her hand over her mouth to prevent herself from throwing up. She adverted her eyes but continued to gag as they passed the staked head of Eusebius at the gate.

***

Royal groomsmen ran to Xena and the officers filing in behind her to hold the horses while the Conqueror and the rest dismounted. Once on the ground, she reached up, placed her hands on Gabrielle's waist and lifted her off Argo.

“You really are a foul, bloodthirsty savage,” Gabrielle whispered, her voice shaking.

Xena's eyes narrowed, briefly but she chose not to comment. She stood next to the visibly distressed bard to wait for the wagon carrying Lila. Two soldiers assisted Lila from the horse-drawn cart and she ran to Gabrielle, clinging to her, watching the Conqueror fearfully.

Xena led the sisters into the entranceway, where they were greeted by working members of the staff, who bowed at the sight of their ruler.

“As you were,” Xena said and the staff returned to their chores. She snapped her fingers at two of the better-dressed maids. “Chrysanthe, Demetria, this is Gabrielle and her sister, Lila. Take them to the bathing chamber closest to my quarters. Make sure they get a hot bath and then provide them with a wardrobe. I want them present at dinner, clean and attired.”

“Yes, Lord Xena,” Chrysanthe said, bowed and started to move the sisters toward the staircase.

“I want to dine by dusk so you don't have a lot of time. Eirene, what's on the main menu?”

“Salmon, oysters, kalamarakia, garides, smoked trout and oktapoki, Lord Xena,” replied Eirene, who was in charge of the kitchen.

“Excellent.” Xena looked over at Gabrielle. “You're not allergic to seafood, are you?”

“Not that I know of,” Gabrielle said, quietly. ??The look on her face was skeptical as though the vision of Eusebius' head was still affecting her stomach.

“Good. Can't have you getting sick your first night here.”

“Gods, no, we can't have that,” Gabrielle muttered.

In three steps, Xena was in front of the sisters. She grabbed Lila and slapped her across the face so hard that Lila fell to the floor in shock and pain. Gabrielle went to her.

“Lila!” She hugged her sister to her and looked up at Xena, “What is wrong with you?”

Xena pulled both girls to their feet and yanked Lila to her. “Do you want me to hit her again?”

“No! Leave her alone!” Gabrielle yelled and grabbed her sister's shoulders as Lila cowered.

“Then start showing me some respect. I will cut you some slack because of what it is that you are going to do but I will not tolerate such open contempt. Not in my empire. Be warned, Gabrielle, every time you are out of line, your sister will suffer. So be mindful of everything you say and do because, as I told you before, there will be consequences.” Xena let Lila go and walked back to her staff, whose heads were bowed.

“Karpos, you and Phaedrus will be permanently assigned to Gabrielle and Lila. Whenever they leave their quarters, you will escort them. They are not to be out of your sight, except when they bathe.”

“Yes, Lord Xena.”

“Lord Xena?” Demetria said. “Where will they settle so we know where to put their new clothes and other necessities?”

“Lila will be in the second chambermaid's quarters next to me and Gabrielle will be in my quarters.”

The staff stopped moving and the room went deathly quiet. “Your quarters, Lord Xena?” Chrysanthe finally repeated to clarify.

“Yes, Chrysanthe, my quarters, was I not clear?”

“No, you were very clear, my Lord.” Chrysanthe bowed again and backed the sisters to the staircase, ushering them upstairs.

Xena looked at Karpos and Phaedrus. “You will not let anything happen to either Gabrielle or Lila unless the order comes from me. No one is to have access to them other than you, Chrysanthe, Demetria, Eirene and me. I will let you know when those orders change. When they dine, you will dine, when they sleep, you will sleep. Nikandros and Theron will be your relief but they need rest after our journey. If anything happens to them or if you let them out of your sight and you cannot account for their whereabouts, you might as well cut your own heads off. Am I understood?”

“Yes, my Lord,” Phaedrus answered for both of them.

**

“Gabrielle, what's going on?” Lila asked when they were left alone to soak in the tub.

Gabrielle looked around the room. She was still unable to digest the events of the past three days, much less the news the Conqueror had delivered to her that morning. She closed her eyes to absorb the heat and fragrance of the perfumed water. She had never bathed in anything but the stream nearby the farm and the highest temperature of that was tepid, at best. This was like nothing she had ever experienced and she wanted to savor it. She knew she would be exposed to a lot of ‘firsts' in the palace of The Conqueror and she wanted to revel in the few she knew she would enjoy.

“Gabrielle…”

She looked at Lila, whose cheek was already bruised from the blow of the Conqueror's slap. She needed to be more careful. She couldn't bear the thought of Lila suffering the consequences of her words or actions.

“Gabrielle, why are we here? Why didn't The Conqueror kill us, too or make us slaves?”

“I'm sorry she hurt you.” Gabrielle reached over and lightly brushed the mark on Lila's face.

“Why are you going to be in her chamber? Why can't you be with me? And why aren't we going to be with the other slaves? Does it have anything to do with why she did that – why she checked your purity?”

“Yes, Lila, it does.” There was no way to shield her from this. There was no way to shield her from anything anymore. “For some reason, The Conqueror has chosen me to bear her children.” She saw Lila's eyes widen and knew she would react loudly so Gabrielle gently put her hand over Lila's mouth. “Shhhh…we don't want them coming back too soon. We're supposed to be soaking not talking.”

Lila moved Gabrielle's hand. “What does that mean, Gabrielle?”

“I don't know. I don't know how she's going to do it and I don't know why me,” Gabrielle said in anticipation of Lila's questions.

Lila's voice was barely a whisper. “Do you think she knows who you are?”

Gabrielle shrugged. “In The Conqueror's world, I am just one of many.” And what irony that she wants one of her most active dissenters to bear her children.

“Maybe we can use being here to our advantage,” Lila suggested.

“No.” Gabrielle turned Lila to face her. “ We won't be doing anything, Lila. You are in much more danger than I am. The Conqueror knows the only way she can really hurt me is through you so you need to just do what she asks of you and nothing that draws unnecessary attention to you. Understand?”

“Yes.” Lila leaned back against the wall of the tub and splashed some water on her face. She winced at the slight pressure against her swollen cheek. “Gabrielle?”

“Yes?”

“Did it hurt? What the Conqueror did to you…when she checked you?”

Hurt? How could she tell her sister what it really felt like when she wasn't even sure herself of how to describe her reaction. Indignant. Angry. Violated. Aroused. It was that last sensation that flustered her the most. She was saved from responding when Chrysanthe and Demetria returned with more buckets of water.

“Let's get your hair washed and find you both some clothes,” Chrysanthe said, dumping the contents of the pail over Gabrielle's head. Demetria mirrored Chrysanthe's actions with Lila.

“Demetria, what's The Conqueror like?” Lila asked, as the maid lathered up the younger girl's hair.

“You will find out, girl, and it's best not to ask too many questions,” Demetria's tone was snippy.

“Sorry.” Lila shrank back to the wall of the tub.

“Hey, it's just a question,” Gabrielle said, defensively.

“Questions about The Conqueror don't get greeted well,” Chrysanthe explained. “The Conqueror is different to different people so to tell you what Lord Xena is like to us may be different than what she will be like to you.”

“Oh.” It made sense. “I thought maybe you were forbidden to discuss her,” Gabrielle said.

“That, too.” Chrysanthe said and graced the bard with a kind smile. She rinsed the soap out of Gabrielle's hair. “Let's get you two dry and dressed.”

***

The Conqueror strolled into her private dining chamber. She was refreshed by a luxurious bath, her lustrous, black mane swept up off her neck and away from her flawlessly made-up face. She wore a royal blue silk dressing gown that enhanced the shade of her eyes and her magnificent features. Xena was as beautiful as she was powerful and merciless. It was a deadly combination that had won her many a conflict on and off the battlefield.

She took a quick inventory of the items on the table and was pleased by what she saw. She was especially fond of the oysters, not that she needed the delicacy blessed by Aphrodite; Xena was usually always up for a round in bed without any assistance. Her battlelust was ever dependably present to some degree and her finesse in the bedroom was legendary. Her soon-to-be conquest, however, was not going to be as ready and willing, regardless of how able.

Xena looked around the expensively decorated room and saw no one but the servants, who stood quietly awaiting orders. “Where in Tartarus are my guests?” She went to the entranceway, about to shout an ultimatum to Chrysanthe, when she saw her head palace servant approach with the young women.

She noticed Lila first, dressed in a jade green outfit sewn from the finest materials sent from Chin. She looked pretty and well scrubbed but she still reminded Xena of an awkward little girl who wasn't comfortable at all with adulthood. The bruise on her cheek was quite prominent now. Hopefully, the punishment had been enough to keep the mouthy young bard in line.

Her eyes then drifted to the older of the two sisters and her mouth went dry. Gabrielle's long hair now seemed to have the look of golden silk and Chrysanthe had fixed it in such a way that it highlighted the young woman's astonishingly lovely face. Gabrielle's dress was the color of deep, red wine and flowed around her body just enough to reveal all the assets the porcelain complexioned form had to offer. Her curves were in all the right places and Xena suddenly realized she had no fluid in her mouth because it had clearly all rushed south. For a simple peasant girl, Gabrielle cleaned up uncommonly well. Xena wondered if the young bard had ever dressed up before, if she ever had a reason to.

Chrysanthe stopped before Xena. She bowed slightly. “Your guests, my Lord.” She then stepped aside.

“Well done, Chrysanthe. Tell Eirene that when we are finished here, you and Demetria may have your fill of what is left over.”

“Yes, my Lord. Thank you, my Lord.” Chrysanthe bowed again and left the room, smiling.

Xena extended her arm and waited patiently until Gabrielle realized it had been offered to her. She then placed her hand over the Conqueror's forearm and allowed herself to be escorted to a seat. Lila followed and a chair was pulled out for her next to her sister.

At the Conqueror's nod, the servants began to pour wine and place samples of each dish onto the Conqueror's platter. When that was full, the servants did the same with the sisters. As Xena began to eat, she saw the sisters staring at the table and their plates.

“What's the matter? The menu doesn't meet with your approval?” Xena chuckled. “What a shock.”

“No, my Lord,” Gabrielle said, quietly. “This is more food than we've seen in a year. All this for three people?” Her tone was more reflective than snide. “What happens to it after we are through?”

Xena waited until she was finished chewing. “Why?”

“You told Chrysanthe that she and Demetria could have their fill of what was left over. That's not usual?”

“My staff and servants are well fed, Gabrielle, and my cook will use whatever is left over to make a stew or a paste for bread. Very little goes to waste, if that's what you're implying.”

Gabrielle nodded and looked at her plate, seemingly trying to decide where to start. The oktapoki was recognizable and Gabrielle picked up her fork, moving the braised sucker-bearing arm of the mollusk aside.

“Wow, this is really good!” Lila said and then remembered her place. She glanced up and added, hastily, “My Lord.” She pointed to a dish containing a thick, milky sauce.

“It's tzatziki,” Xena said. “You've never had tzatziki before?”

Lila shook her head, unable to answer as she had just taken another huge spoonful. Gabrielle picked up her spoon and took a taste from the bowl in front of her. “Dill and lemon?”

“And olive oil, cucumbers and yogurt.” Xena took a bite of her spanakotyropita. “You're farmers and you've never had or made tzatziki before?”

“We've made something similar but it's always been more of a yogurt chutney with olives, my Lord,” Gabrielle said. “We never had much luck with cucumbers or dill.”

“Do you find this pleasing?” Xena asked Gabrielle.

“Oh, yes, my Lord!” Lila answered for her sister, enthusiastically, as she emptied her bowl.

“And you?” Xena specifically asked Gabrielle.

“Yes, my Lord. Very much.”

“Then you shall have it as often as you desire it.”

Lila glanced over at Gabrielle who was staring at Xena, flummoxed at the Conqueror's inconsistent moods. First she was a murdering tyrant, then she was nearly a rapist and a bully, then she was unexpectedly magnanimous.

Xena ignored the look Gabrielle was giving her. She picked up an herb-dusted ring of kalamarakia and popped it in her mouth. She watched Gabrielle practically guzzle her wine. “You might want to take it easy on that,” Xena suggested. “You've barely eaten since we left Poteidaia.”

Gabrielle stopped mid-sip and nodded, returning the goblet to the table. It was instantly refilled by a servant. She then surveyed her plate, picked up a roasted shrimp and took a nibble. Her eyebrows shot up and she finished it in the next bite.

“Tell me, Lila, what it's like having such a talented bard for a sister,” Xena inquired, as though she was just making general dinner conversation.

Lila looked at Gabrielle before she spoke. The bard purposely ignored her and continued to devour her plate of garides. Lila took a sip of her wine, made a face and put the goblet back on the table.

“Not a wine drinker?” Xena asked.

“It won't be wasted, my Lord, I will finish hers,” Gabrielle said, quickly. Before the Conqueror could speak, Gabrielle reached over, took Lila's goblet, put it to her lips and drained the contents.

Even Lila registered mild shock at her sister's action. “Really, Gabrielle, you act like there's a wine shortage. I'm sure our Lord has many more grapes to harvest than what has been offered here for supper.”

“Indeed, Lila,” Xena said. “If this flavor of wine is not to your liking, I have several others you can try if you would like.”

“Do you have any sweeter-flavored wine?” Lila asked. Then hastily added, “My Lord.”

“Demetria,” Xena summoned. The young maid stepped forward. “Bring our guest a goblet from the Nemea-Agiorgitiko cask.”

“Yes, my Lord,” Demetria said and bowed. She exited the room quickly.

“Nemea…” Lila turned to her sister. “Don't you have a story you tell about that?”

Gabrielle stopped in mid-swallow of her third chalice of wine and looked at Lila, then Xena. “Um…yes.”

Xena sat back. “Do tell.”

“It's been a while since I've recited that one,” Gabrielle said, placing her goblet back on the table.

“If it's the story of the wine coming from the blood of a lion that a demi-god named Hercules slew, it's a myth,” Xena said, spearing another olive on her plate.

“You don't believe in Hercules?” Lila asked, wide-eyed.

“He's a false legend. I don't know of any god – even a demi-god –that fights for the greater good,” Xena said and scoffed.

“Not even Aphrodite?” Gabrielle asked.

Xena nearly spewed her wine. “Aphrodite? The goddess of love, beauty, pleasure and procreation? She's vain, ill-tempered, treacherous, adulterous and if she does anything for the greater good, it's for the greater good of Aphrodite.”

Lila glanced upward, then all around the room. “You dare to smite an Olympian deity?”

Xena broke into a full grin. “I don't smite them, Lila, I just call them out for what they are. I would hardly bite the hand that feeds me.”

“Meaning you won't badmouth Ares?” Gabrielle asked, now starting on her fourth glass of wine.

“I badmouth Ares all the time,” Xena said and focused on Gabrielle. “No worries. It only seems to make him love me more.”

Demetria returned to the grand dining room, carrying a chalice of wine. She set it down in front of Lila. Lila looked to the Conqueror for permission to drink. Xena inclined her head. Lila put the goblet to her lips, sipped and took a huge swallow of the ruby red liquid.

“Mmmm. Like freshly squeezed fruit,” Lila exclaimed.

“Yes. But be careful. Don't drink it too fast,” Xena advised.

“Why? Gabrielle is,” Lila said, sulkily.

“And Gabrielle will regret it if she doesn't slow down,” Xena stated, wisely. “Tell me, Gabrielle, is the reason you no longer tell the story of Hercules slaying the lion, its blood tainting the grapes of Agiorgitiko, because there's no message in it?”

There was dead silence at the table. Gabrielle looked at the sovereign over the rim of her glass and blinked. She drained the goblet and set it back down on the table, looking everywhere but at Xena. “I have no idea what you're talking about.”

Xena raised an elegant eyebrow in amusement. “Of course you do. For example, the night I took you and Lila from Poteidaia, I heard your song to the audience, rife with members of the Resistance. You spoke of Cadmus and Harmonia, and Odysseus and Polyphemus… you were warning them through code. Betrayal, survival through escape.”

Both Gabrielle and Lila looked like prey just before the pounce. Finally, Gabrielle exhaled and said, “You must be mistaken, My Lord.” With that, she finished another goblet of wine.

Xena waved away the servant who stepped up to refill the empty cup. “The reason your Resistance has never succeeded is that you all take me for a fool. I assure you, anything you can think of to do to me or to my realm, I have either already thought of it or done it myself. You don't get to be where I am by being vacuous or inexperienced. And you don't stay where I am by being impulsive or just plain battle-happy. I don't destroy just for the fun of it.”

Gabrielle's eyes narrowed. “What about The Conflagarus? What was the purpose of ruining so much and killing so many?” She gauged her tone, trying not to sound as angry as she felt.

“Gabrielle!” Lila said, gruffly. It was clear she wanted Gabrielle to stop before her sister's words earned her another bruise.

“No, it's fine,” Xena said to Lila, studying Gabrielle. “The purpose was the region needed to learn a lesson.”

“A lesson?” Gabrielle's voice rose an octave. “People died! Good people. Our parents among them.”

“Yes, well, perhaps since you sing correlations at your performances, I'll present it this way. When you misbehaved or disobeyed your parents, what would happen?”

“We'd be punished,” Lila said.

“Exactly. And if the punishment didn't work and you did the same thing to earn your parents' wrath, what would happen?”

“We'd be punished more severely to make us understand why we needed to abide by the rules,” Gabrielle said.

“And what if that didn't deter you and you did it again?”

It registered with Gabrielle what the Conqueror was getting at. “Well, we certainly wouldn't be murdered for it! Our parents did nothing wrong!”

“Perhaps not,” Xena said, calmly. “However, as you are discovering by protecting your sister, sometimes the harshest way to learn a lesson is when the people around you have to suffer because of your actions.”

“Are…are you saying that our parents and half the region were incinerated because of actions of the Resistance?” Gabrielle's voice was barely a whisper as the comprehension of Xena's words, hit her full force.

“You were warned and you ignored me. You were warned again and your rations were limited. Thinking I didn't know what was happening under my own nose, instead of heeding the warnings, like petulant children you continued to defy me. The punishment was swift and hard. I thought you learned, yet…here you are again trying to build back up your meager forces.”

“If the forces are so meager then why do you see them as a threat?” Gabrielle asked, quietly.

“Even meager forces can become a strong Army if not stopped,” Xena said. “Why do you object to my rule, Gabrielle?” Xena's tone was controlled and amicable. She continued to casually dine on her meal, washing down every two or three bites with wine.

“You're a barbarian,” Gabrielle told her, incredulously. “Surely you know the Realm hates you.” She held her empty goblet out to the servant closest to her. The wine pourer looked to Xena for permission before he did anything. When Xena gave an almost imperceptible nod, Gabrielle's cup was refilled.

“Why do you think they hate me?”

“Because you are an unscrupulous savage of epic proportions. You destroy people, take their homes, their children, their lives…”

“I try to keep the regions organized. That sometimes requires unpopular actions and decisions. How much control do you think I would have as a sovereign if I allowed everyone to do as they pleased? I know it's difficult for you to understand but I command my Realm the way I do to maintain discipline and order. Everyone has a responsibility to assist the empire by giving what they can.”

“What they can or what they are forced to give?”

“Yes, there are times when I must insist upon contributions. Why should some give and others be exempt?”

“But others are exempt. Your council and your regional governors, what about them? Some of the peasants can't give because they have nothing, yet they are forced to anyway or suffer the consequences while your higher-ups are absolved from offerings. What is fair about that?” Gabrielle took several gulps of wine.

Xena reached over and removed the goblet from Gabrielle's grasp. “I assure you they are not exempt,” she said, patiently. “The council members are tithed, Gabrielle, and the governors donate by ensuring that everyone under their jurisdiction has given their designated share every fourteen cycles of the sun dial. It's not easy being a governor. Yes, they are allowed to live in better dwellings than those over whom they preside; they may eat better and have better clothes but they are also more accountable for their individual territories coming up short. They are expected to have total control over their areas and all that happens within those boundaries. If it gets back to the council that the governors are not doing their jobs, the council reports that to me. Depending on the infraction, the governor then reports to the council for disciplinary action. If the violation continues or it is so egregious that it is beyond specific punishment, then the governor presents himself directly to me for retribution.”

Gabrielle eyeballed her wine chalice in the Conqueror's hand then she looked up at Xena. “Like Eusebius?”

“Eusebius wasn't a governor, he was an officer, second in command of a region, in my army. What he was doing is called antarsía and it is an offense punishable by death. He knew that and decided to do it anyway. Eusebius chose his own fate.”

“You removed and then spiked his head.”

“Yes. And I believe that sent out the proper message to my troops. What should I have done? Slapped him on the back of the hand, turn my head and let him continue with his sedition?”

“It would have been less brutal,” Gabrielle said.

“Indeed. And how long do you think my rule would last being so soft? How long do you think it would take before it got around that I was weak and allowed my own soldiers to incite and foster the rebellion?”

Gabrielle remained silent. As much as she hated to admit it, the sovereign's words were filled with logic. Finally, she said, “May I have my goblet back, please, my Lord?”

Xena hesitated then handed the chalice back to the young bard. “Slow down on that, Gabrielle,” Xena said, indicating the wine. Her tone was laced with mild warning. She watched as the young bard nodded and slowly went back to eating. “Do you think you would have it different or better under another's rule?” She turned to the younger of the two sisters. “Lila? What do you think?”

Lila stopped shoveling food in her mouth, long enough to chew and swallow. “I'm sorry, what?”

The alcohol in the wine was creeping up slowly and starting to take effect. Gabrielle's vision was becoming a little blurry around the edges and she felt more relaxed than she had in a long time. She tried to focus on Xena and realized, when she couldn't, she needed to eat more food. “You surprise me, my Lord,” Gabrielle finally admitted.

“Why? Are you shocked because this barbarian is so well-spoken?” Xena asked, a smile curling her lips.

“Um…maybe. I guess I didn't expect you – or want you – to make such sense.” In response to Xena's smile of triumph, Gabrielle said, “That doesn't mean I still like or respect you.”

“Gabrielle!” Lila admonished, again.

“No, it's alright. Respect has to be earned, I understand that,” Xena said, reasonably.

“And how do you expect to earn Lila's and my respect by holding us prisoner, forcing me to bear your children?”

Xena chewed, thoughtfully, took a sip of wine and then responded. “I am certain that by living in the palace and accepting my hospitality, you'll soon discover that everything I do is for the benefit of the Realm, whether you understand it or not.”

“What I understand, my Lord, is that you want me to help create heirs to continue your reign. That you expect me to be the mother of monsters who will be just like you and I have no say in the matter.” Gabrielle's head was bowed and her words were quiet.

“You know, Gabrielle, there are many women who would kill for this opportunity,” Xena said, sporting an arrogant grin.

“Well, I'm not one of them.”

“I know. And that's what makes this so much more…delicious,” Xena said, with a salacious lift of an eyebrow.

“You really don't get it, do you?” Gabrielle told her and took a swallow of wine.

“No, I'm afraid it's you who doesn't get it,” Xena said and smiled.

****

After she ensured that an extremely sleepy Lila was escorted to her designated room, Xena walked a short path down the corridor to her own bedchamber. She nodded to her door sentries who closed the door after she entered the room.

The sovereign found Gabrielle face down on her large bed, apparently passed out. Xena sighed, shook her head and then undressed, slipping on a robe. She extinguished most of the room light and joined Gabrielle on the bed. “Don't think you're getting out of this just because you're too drunk to respond.” She rolled Gabrielle over on her back and then sat her up. She began to undress her and Gabrielle stirred, attempting to slap Xena's hands away. She missed completely.

“Whachu think yer doon?” Gabrielle slurred.

“Undressing you.” Xena had the garment nearly undone.

“I kin doot.” But she didn't try. She looked up at Xena. “You gomme drunkt.”

“No, you got yourself drunk. If you did it to postpone your duties, it didn't work.” Xena spoke to her, patiently. If she hadn't found the young bard so challenging in her adamancy that Xena was an uncivilized brute (and the unexpected need to prove Gabrielle wrong), she may not have been so accommodating.

Gabrielle shook her head in an exaggerated manner and then got dizzy. “Woh.” She looked down as the dress was slipped off her, revealing a silky one-piece undergarment. “Wow, thasso nice.”

My sentiments exactly, Xena thought as she admired the barely clothed body before her.

“I wassent doonit to post…pose…to…” she seemed to be concentrating extremely hard on her sentence. She took a deep breath. “I, um, just wanned to be relassed.”

“You're relaxed, all right. You're almost comatose.”

Gabrielle flopped back on the bed. “So…g'head. Do whacha gotta do.” She spread herself out as though she was about to make a snow angel and she closed her eyes tight. “I'm ready.”

Xena chuckled. “We'll see about that.” She removed her robe.

“This beddis sooooo sssoft. I've never –“ she looked over at Xena, who laid down next to her. “Oh, gods, you're…um…”

“Naked. Just like you're going to be soon.”

“Need mordadrink…”

“So you can throw up all over me? I think not.” Xena took Gabrielle by the waist and pulled her to her. “Relax, Gabrielle,” she whispered. “We'll go slow.”

Gabrielle turned her head and tried to focus on one of the three Xenas before her. “Whyou being s'nice?”

“Don't push it, young bard, or I won't be,” Xena said, with just a hint of warning in her tone. Xena brushed hair away from Gabrielle's face and forehead as they locked stares. “You have been kissed before, yes?” She began to lightly run her fingers up and down Gabrielle's arm.

“Course.” She sounded slightly indignant.

“Have you done anything beyond kissing?” Xena's fingers floated across Gabrielle's ribcage, upward between her breasts and to her face.

Gabrielle shivered at the contact and got serious. “I, um, no, atchully, nah much.” She couldn't take her eyes off the Xenas.

“That's what I thought.” Xena rolled over and stood up. She picked Gabrielle up and carried her to a chair. She then walked to her chamber door and opened it slightly. “Bring me Kharis.”

“Yes, Conqueror,” came the reply.

“S'goin' on?” Gabrielle looked as confused as she sounded.

There was a knock on the door and a nubile young woman entered. She was dressed in a sheer garment that showed off a voluptuous body. She immediately knelt before Xena and bowed her head. “Gabrielle, this is Kharis, one of my favorite body servants.” Xena looked at Kharis. “You may rise.”

Kharis rose to her bare feet and awaited Xena's next command.

“Go to the bed,” Xena ordered and Kharis obeyed. “Gabrielle, you will watch me with Kharis. I want you to know exactly what will be expected of you in my bed.”

Xena knew she had to be careful and not put her hands anywhere that could be considered intimate contact with the body servant. Kharis was most certainly adept at pleasuring her but she also remembered Ares' gift would not work if her hands touched another woman sexually.

*****

In Gabrielle's inebriated confusion, she didn't know whether to be relieved or insulted. She sat up in the chair, crossed her legs and covered her bare breasts with her arms, feeling exposed and awkward. She looked over at the bed to find Xena observing her.

“Pay attention, young bard. This will be your only tutorial.” Xena returned her attention to Kharis and lifted the young servant's nightgown over her head, dropping it on the floor. Xena, then reclined on the bed, took Kharis' wrist and pulled Kharis on top of her. The servant straddled the Conqueror and began a gentle rocking of her hips over Xena's midsection.

Gabrielle observed that the servant slid back and forth and left her wetness on Xena's stomach, all while massaging Xena's breasts with her hands. She saw Xena react to the pulling and tugging of her nipples and suddenly felt her own nipples harden in reaction. She folded her arms tighter across her chest.

Kharis leaned down, took one of Xena's nipples in her mouth and began to lave and suckle. When Xena moaned and Kharis moved her lips to her other breast, she glanced over at Gabrielle and said, in an aroused whisper, “Are you watching, Gabrielle?”

“Y-yes,” Gabrielle said and swallowed hard. She found herself more fascinated with Xena's response to Kharis' ministrations than how Kharis tended to her.

Following an equal amount of time spent on Xena's breasts, Kharis moved slowly down Xena's body, nibbling, licking and kissing as she went. She then hovered over the patch of hair that covered Xena's center.

Gabrielle watched as Kharis parted Xena and dipped her tongue between the folds. Gabrielle's eyes popped open wide and she held her breath. It had been quite educational as it was, being touched by Xena in the limited manner she was, then seeing Xena and her servant naked but with what Kharis was doing now, Gabrielle had never imagined such a thing. By the expression on Xena's face and the sounds emanating from her throat, the act must have given her great pleasure.

Kharis then held up three fingers so that Gabrielle could see them before they disappeared inside Xena, just below where Kharis' mouth was. Kharis and Xena started a rhythm with their bodies that increased in pace and excitement. Gabrielle hadn't realized that she had begun to rock her lower body to their beat. She knew she was wet and that her entire body was now fully aware of unrealized carnal need.

Xena appeared to pace herself, if the way she breathed was any indication. She looked over at Gabrielle and they locked eyes. The young bard wished she could hide her arousal but Gabrielle was too inexperienced to even try to attempt to disguise her obvious titillation. It infuriated her and thrilled her that the conqueror's attention was now totally focused on her. The predatory gleam in Xena's eyes made Gabrielle's breath catch.

“That will be all, Kharis,” Xena said.

“Yes, my Lord.” She slowly withdrew her fingers, moved off the bed and knelt, head bowed.

“You may go.”

“Yes, my Lord.”

Xena watched Kharis leave the room, closing the heavy chamber door with a thunk . She then looked over at Gabrielle, who still maintained half-lidded eyes and face flushed with desire, if the heat emanating from it was any indication. Xena smiled, wolfishly. “Come here, Gabrielle.” Xena's voice was deep and husky with lust. She held out her hand.

Finally, Gabrielle took Xena's hand and allowed Xena to slowly pull her onto the bed. Xena guided Gabrielle to mount her hips. She gently moved the bard's arm away from covering her breasts. The infamous blue eyes swept over Gabrielle's body in what seemed like reverence and it made the young bard a little less inhibited.

Xena sat up without moving Gabrielle and kissed Gabrielle soundly on the lips with fervor unlike anything Gabrielle had ever experienced. The conqueror continued kissing her as she held the young woman to her, while Gabrielle got used to the surprisingly thrilling sensation of skin on skin.

She then laid Gabrielle on her back and kissed her neck and chest. The young bard gasped when Xena's lips sealed around one of her nipples. She never would have guessed her breasts would be so sensitive sexually but Xena's tongue swirling around the stiff peak ignited a pleasant fire that burned right to her core. After devoting the same attention on both of the bard's pert breasts, Xena continued her journey south. Gabrielle's brain told her to protest and, intellectually, she knew she should resist but she was unable, unready to fight the unexpected, yet gratifying currents the conqueror's touch sent through her body.

Xena hovered above Gabrielle's dark, reddish-blonde curls as the young bard began to shiver in anticipation of what would happen next. This was not what she had expected, this…gentleness and consideration or the raw pleasure . Xena kissed Gabrielle's inner thighs and nuzzled her mound before making the first swipe with her tongue. The action nearly sent Gabrielle off the bed and she couldn't help but cry out. She could feel Xena smile against her before the Conqueror continued her licking and sucking the young bard's molten center.

When Gabrielle felt she was about to explode from sensory overload, Xena slowly slid a finger inside her and reached the barrier of her womanhood. Just as Gabrielle's breath caught, initialing the onset of her climax, Xena pushed her finger forward, tearing the hymen. In the midst of Gabrielle's first orgasm, she jumped at the sharp, stab of pain that accompanied losing her virginity. Seconds later, the pain seemed forgotten as Gabrielle's natural lubrication allowed Xena to add another finger.

Before Gabrielle stopped panting and could catch her breath to speak, Xena slid back up the young woman's body and began to coax her in soothing, encouraging tones, between kissing her neck and face. Gabrielle was devoid of all thoughts until her body felt as though it finally left the Elysian Fields and returned to the here and now of the known world.

She had never expected this kind of physical euphoria. Her mother had explained that her first experience (with her husband, of course) would be painful but she needed to grit her teeth and bear the humiliation because that was the only way a family could be created. Being touched intimately like this was not supposed to feel so divine and factor in who was caressing her into a sexual frenzy, it shouldn't have felt as right as it did.

Xena's fingers were still pumping inside her and she detected another spark trying to light as she felt the Conqueror's fingers curl up and touch her in a place that ignited a brand new flame in her lower belly. This one, building slowly and fully, was a much different sensation than the last one. If she had any idea of protesting, it wasn't going to be until she could gather enough breath and thought to form a sentence. That didn't seem like it would be happening anytime soon.

****

“You're doing fine, Gabrielle. So responsive. You excite me, young bard.” Xena continued to drive her fingers rhythmically into her conquest until she finally felt Gabrielle's vaginal walls clamp down on her fingers. “That's it. Let it happen.”

Gabrielle instinctively wrapped her fingers around Xena's wrist and kept it in place while she rode them with nearly uncontrollable abandon to a powerful climax. Xena held her as she crested, shuddered and screamed her release into the sovereign's shoulder, still with a firm grasp on Xena's wrist.

It was so against protocol and the sexiest, most intuitively carnal reaction Xena had ever seen. Xena grinned. It was going to be a long, glorious night.

****

Gabrielle had finally entered into Morpheus' realm. Xena figured a combination of alcohol and exertion had taken its toll. She was impressed with the young woman's stamina and even though few words were spoken between them, Xena began to wonder just who seduced who.

Xena had expected more hostility or, at least, negotiation from Gabrielle. The compliance had surprised her and the young bard's instinct for pleasure had startled her even more. Xena had not required reciprocation from the sexually naïve woman this time but she was sure had she expected attention from Gabrielle, she would not have had to demand.

Sexual conquests were never allowed to stay in the sovereign's bed after the act had been completed. Sharing that space was not something Xena ever did, not since she had become ruler of the known world. She felt consenting to someone sleeping with her after such couplings left her vulnerable and she discerned it almost too intimate, regardless of the mutual gratification that had taken place. Yet, somehow, she did not want to eject the lightly snoring woman. She did not feel threatened by Gabrielle's presence, in fact, Xena was somewhat shocked by how protective and solicitous she felt toward Gabrielle.

Through the light provided by the full moon outside her window, Xena openly studied the young bard. A life of farm work had helped sculpt Gabrielle's body to a near work of art. She ran her hand lightly over Gabrielle's toned belly and hoped that soon it would be heavy with the weight of a child. The young woman did not seem to register the touch and remained still in slumber. Xena's eyes roamed back up to Gabrielle's face and couldn't stop the smirk that graced her lips. She was pleased with her choice of her children's mother. She knew Gabrielle did not want the job but she hoped once the bard became pregnant, she would acquiesce. She arched an eyebrow while studying the lovely, youthful features, so unguarded in sleep. Yep, she could have done a lot worse, she thought, before settling back down to get comfortable.

Once she sank down into the sumptuous luxury of her large, wood-framed, straw, feather and skins bed, she settled on her back, releasing a contented breath. As she closed her eyes, she sensed movement and opened one eye to watch as Gabrielle turned into Xena's body and snuggled, without waking. Xena ceased all movement, stiff as a board. She was also not used to anyone touching her after sex. The arm across her midsection and the leg crossed over hers were strange enough but the head that was now cuddled against her bare breast was almost too much. Her instinct was to wake the bard and send her to her sister's chambers or, at least, move her back to the far side of the bed. Instead, she relaxed and let her arm circle the young woman's shoulder. Within minutes she was asleep as well.

*****

The next morning, Gabrielle was scheduled to be with Eirene, learning about the main palace kitchen. When she had been awakened by the sound of a bath being drawn for her, Xena was gone from the bedchamber just as she said she would be. Gabrielle, in her haste to rise, was not so much shocked at the soreness down below and in her muscles, but at the pleasant fulfillment she felt instead of pain.

That changed quickly when she used the chamber's porcelain commode to relieve herself of all the wine she had imbibed the night before. The burning sensation felt like tiny, hot needles poking into her nether regions as the fluid rushed out of her. A sharp intake of breath, accompanied by a soft whimper escaped her. She felt raw and it temporarily overshadowed any favorably intimate memories she held from the night before. She immediately felt a flush of shame course through her that she found any of the Conqueror's attention not only acceptable but desirable.

She finished her business and walked to the huge marble tub where Demetria was waiting for her. When Gabrielle lowered herself into the steamy water, she hissed and took in another surprised breath when she submerged her lower half. It stung but it only lasted less than a moment.

“Are you alright, Lady Gabrielle?” Demetria asked.

“Um…yes. Thank you, Demetria.” She wasn't about to share her minor discomfort brought on by the previous night's activities with someone she barely knew. She let Demetria wash her back and her hair but insisted on doing the rest herself.

“Will that be all, Lady Gabrielle?”

“Please don't call me that,” she said to the maid, not unkindly. “I'm a peasant, Demetria; it's just Gabrielle.”

“Oh, no, milady. We've been instructed to address you with the respect of someone who belongs in a noble class. Lord Xena would not be pleased to hear us call you anything else.”

Gabrielle sighed. “Lord Xena… Tell me, Demetria -”

“Please, Lady Gabrielle, do not ask anything you or I might regret later. These walls sometimes have ears.”

Gabrielle narrowed her eyes. “You mean she eavesdrops on us, too?”

“Not her, personally, milady, but she finds out everything.”

Gabrielle contemplated that while she completed her bath. She rose from the tub and stepped into a beautiful, soft, heavy cloth robe.

“Besides, milady, many are envious of you. There are uncounted legions who would trade places with you, just to spend one night in the Conqueror's bed.”

“Why?” she asked, annoyed that Demetria confirmed what Xena had bragged about at dinner. Inside, she could certainly understand. The Conqueror's reputation between the sheets, that matched her talent and efficiency on the battlefield, was well deserved. Not that Gabrielle had anything to compare it to. The memory of how Xena made her feel last night sent an indecent craving radiating throughout her body and to her very core. How could she despise and desire someone at the same time?

Demetria blushed and said, “Do you really have to ask, Lady Gabrielle?”

****

Gabrielle became so engrossed in watching Eirene prepare the mid-day meal that she barely heard Lila run into the kouzína, which was a first, since her sister usually entered a room with all the gentility of a herd of centaurs.

“Gabrielle!” Lila was out of breath when she stopped just in time to avoid bowling over both Gabrielle and Eirene.

“Lila, are you all right? What's wrong?” Gabrielle asked, alarmed.

Just as Lila was about to ask her sister the same thing, the door from the outside opened and Xena stepped in, carrying two dead pheasants. She brought them to Eirene. “I would like these for my eve meal, Eirene. Perhaps you could boil up some of those noodles the emissaries brought from Japa. We'll be taking our meal in my chambers tonight.”

Lila witnessed an odd expression come over Gabrielle's face when her sister's eyes lit on the Conqueror. Instead of the disgust and fear she expected to see, Gabrielle displayed an embarrassed yet barely contained excited smile and her whole face was covered in a glowing blush. Lila turned her attention to the Conqueror and saw the notorious pale blue eyes rake over her sister's form, accompanied by a pursing of her lips in what looked like pleasant appraisal.

Xena then handed the pheasants over to Eirene and inclined her head toward the bard. “Gabrielle,” Xena acknowledged.

Gabrielle bowed her head in deference and released a small curtsy. “My Lord.”

If Lila hadn't known any better, she would have sworn her sister seemed happy to see the Conqueror. When Xena exited the kitchen, Lila grabbed Gabrielle's sleeve and pulled her into the pantry.

***

“Lila, what -? Are you okay?” Gabrielle's voice and manner were still concerned.

“I'm fine. What did she do to you?” Lila's tone was angry and protective.

Gabrielle turned scarlet. “Wh – what?” She had not expected an inquisition from her sister.

“Demetria brought the bed linens down from the Conqueror's chamber and…there was blood on them. I asked Chrysanthe about it and she told me that it's something not to be spoken of in polite company. It was blood, Gabrielle! How bad did she hurt you?”

“Lila…” Gabrielle saw the worry on her sister's face. “It's okay. She didn't hurt me.”

“But there's blood,” Lila reiterated. “Is it the Conqueror's blood? Did you hurt her?”

“Do you think if that was the Conqueror's blood on those sheets, we would be here to talk about it?”

Lila shrugged. “I don't know. You drew blood on her back in Poteidaia and we're still here.”

Gabrielle absently scratched the side of her face. How was she going to get out of this discussion with her sister?

“So why was there blood?”

Gabrielle looked behind Lila to see Karpos standing guard at the doorway. Phaedrus was usually not far behind. She put her arm around Lila and turned them both away from the soldier's hearing range. In a soft voice she said, “Didn't mother ever tell you what happens on, like, a wedding night?” Lila was blank. “Between a bride and a groom?” Lila shook her head, a puzzled expression still adorning her fresh-faced features. “Oh, boy…” Gabrielle sighed.

“What does that have to do with your blood being on the sheets? You're not a bride and there is no groom and I don't know where you're going with this…” Lila's voice was rising with every word.

“Lila, calm down.” Gabrielle tried to sort through how she would explain to her sister the events of the night before without dying of embarrassment.

“Why is your face so red?” Lila asked. “Did you do something you shouldn't have?”

Other than enjoy my sexual awakening entirely too much, no, Gabrielle thought, immediately chagrined by the thrill she felt at the hands of her sworn enemy. She lowered her volume even more. “Remember when the Conqueror checked me for my purity?” Lila nodded. “She didn't go any further after she found that I…wasn't lying about my virginity? Well, she took care of that last night.”

Lila crossed her arms, still clearly perplexed. “Okay…” Her countenance indicated she didn't comprehend the direction of the conversation.

Gabrielle didn't think it was possible that any more blood could rush to her face. Thank you, Mother, she thought, mockingly. “Um…when a woman loses her virginity, she will usually bleed because a thin layer of skin is broken during the act of the, um, husband penetrating the wife with his -”

“Oh, yeah, I know all that. Sheesh, Gabrielle, I'm not a kid. What I don't get is that you're not a bride and the Conqueror certainly isn't a groom and she doesn't have, you know, what a man does to break that layer so how can there be blood on the sheets?”

“She broke that barrier, Lila,” Gabrielle said, annoyed that her sister was drawing this discussion out.

“How? She doesn't have a -”

Gabrielle clamped her hand over Lila's mouth. “She used her fingers,” she whispered, harshly. “It broke. That's why there was blood. Understand?” When Lila nodded, Gabrielle removed her hand.

“Ew. That must have been horrible. I'm so sorry.” Lila threw her arms around her sister and hugged her tightly.

Relieved, hoping the discussion was over, Gabrielle held onto Lila, praying for no more questions.

“That must have really hurt,” Lila said.

Gabrielle drew a deep breath and rolled her eyes. She took a step back and looked deeply into her sister's eyes. “It did and it's over. Can we please not talk about this anymore?”

“But -”

“Please?” Gabrielle's eyes were begging her to drop the subject.

“What about Perdicus?” Lila's tone was almost accusatory.

“Lila, I'm trying to keep you and Perdicus alive and unharmed by doing what I have to do. That is the only choice I have. You do understand that, don't you?”

Lila nodded, reluctantly. “I just don't know how you could stand to have that beast anywhere near you…especially so, so…personally.”

“I can't,” Gabrielle lied, confused by her own mild deception, “but I don't have any options at this point.”

“Will she do it to you again?”

Gods, I hope so, Gabrielle thought and then became bewildered by her own reaction. “The Conqueror said that I am to bear her children. She will continue to do this until I conceive.”

“But…how can she…? She's not a man…”

“Lila, enough!” Gabrielle announced, exasperated. “Where are you supposed to be right now?”

“Helping with the laundry.”

“Then I suggest you go back and help before the Conqueror returns and finds you still here in the kouzína,” Gabrielle said, a little more snappish than she intended. The hurt look on her sister's face brought her instant guilt. She reached out and gently clasped Lila's shoulder. “I'm sorry. I just don't want you to get in trouble by not following orders. Maybe we can talk later?”

“Okay,” Lila said, not entirely mollified. “Chrysanthe said that some of the new prisoners arrived this morning and would be working in the garden later today to break up the soil for more planting. I'm going to look for Perdicus.”

Gabrielle nodded. “Be careful. Make sure you're allowed to talk to him before you go anywhere near him. And…” Gabrielle's tone and visage softened. “Tell him I'm sorry and that we'll get through this.”

***

“Perdicus!” After she got permission from Chrysanthe to approach the latest group of acquired prisoners, Lila called out to her once future brother-in-law. She ran over to him still under the watchful eye of Chrysanthe and Karpos, who remained several paces behind.

“Lila! You're okay,” Perdicus said, enveloping the young woman in a hug. He pulled back and studied her, his eyes clouding over. “What happened to your face?”

“The Conqueror.”

“Why? Was there a reason?”

“A lesson to my sister.”

Perdicus nodded slightly, his expression grim. “And what about Gabrielle?”

“Gabrielle is well.” She noticed that he didn't look much different than when they left Poteidaia and that surprised her a little. She expected him to be scraped and bloodied. The one bruise he did have from the night they were taken had already started to fade.

“Where is she? Why hasn't she tried to find me?” He leaned against the gardening tool he had been using and wiped sweat off his forehead with the back of his hand.

“The Conqueror is keeping her busy,” Lila said, noncommittally.

“I'm sure the Conqueror keeps you busy, too, but you found time to come see me.”

Lila looked guilty. “I don't have the same…responsibilities…to the Conqueror that Gabrielle has.”

Peridcus gripped the long handle of the spade until his knuckles turned white. “Are you saying…?” He looked around and then lowered his voice. “Gabrielle submitted to that bitch?”

“Come on, Perdicus, it's not as though Gabrielle had a choice in the matter,” Lila said, defensively.

“There's always a choice,” Perdicus said, bitterly.

“If you believe that then you're not as smart as I thought you were,” Lila spat.

“Gabrielle has never been afraid to die for our cause,” Perdicus shot back.

“Except the Conqueror won't kill Gabrielle if Gabrielle refuses her…she'll kill me.” Lila indicated the bruise on her face. “My sister isn't willing to give my life for the cause.”

Perdicus let her words sink in. He grimaced and pounded the blade of the spade against the soil, furiously.

Lila took a step toward him. “Perdicus -”

“Leave me, Lila,” he told her through clenched teeth, not looking at her.

“You don't understand…”

“Get away! I can't talk to you right now!”

Lila stepped back, shocked by his vehemence. Quietly, she said, “I came here to see a friendly face, to talk to someone I trusted…to hopefully have someone tell me it wasn't my fault.”

Perdicus snapped his head up, the rage radiating off him palpably. “Why would I tell you that? It should have been you, not my Gabrielle.” The silent tears streaming down her face didn't seem to faze him. “Now, get away from me and don't come back or I'll do to you what the Conqueror keeps holding over Gabrielle's head.”

“If you do that, you'll kill us all.”

Perdicus shrugged. “As of right now, you're both dead to me anyway, so…” He turned his back on her and went backed to tilling.

****

“Perdicus!”

He alerted on the angry tone of Gabrielle yelling his name and turned to see her storming toward him, followed by one of the palace guards. His heart lurched at the sight of her. It was going to be hard to pretend he hated her when he still loved her so much. The closer she got to him, the larger the lump in his throat became. He took several deep breaths to get control of his emotions before she reached him. In his peripheral vision, he saw the other members of his group stop what they were doing to look up at Gabrielle. He had to save face; he had to live in close quarters with these men. His life would be a living Tartarus if he showed any weakness.

“What in Hade's name is your problem?” Gabrielle asked him. He couldn't tell if her voice was shaking because she was furious or because she practically sprinted from the courtyard to the outer garden.

“Well, well, well…if it isn't the Conqueror's whore,” Perdicus said before anyone else could.

Gabrielle stopped and reacted as though she had been viciously slapped across the face. Her expression reflected a devastation he'd never seen before. He almost lost it and ran to her. He knew, however, the guards around him and behind her would not allow that to happen, that they would probably kill him before he reached her.

“How dare you say that to me?” Gabrielle asked. Her voice was a damaged whisper. His intent to injure her had been a direct hit. Tears fell as she stepped closer. It was crushing him.

“That's what you are now, isn't it? It's no secret the Conqueror made good on her promise to bed you. You are now just one in a long line of many.” He became aware of the mumbling and low comments behind him and his fist was so tight, his rough fingernails dug into his own palm, drawing blood.

She shook her head at him. “You can't believe I want this?”

He shrugged, “Doesn't matter anymore, does it?” He tried to sound nonchalant but he knew he came off sounding bitter. And he was but not at Gabrielle. He felt if he didn't distance himself, none of them would survive.

She approached him with determined steps, stopping just short of where he was digging. “Look…you can be angry at me all you want but my sister has done nothing to earn your wrath and insecurity!”

“Insecure? Hardly,” Perdicus scoffed. Even though he felt like he wanted to vomit, he maintained a mask of prideful indifference. He looked around at his peers working the field who were definitely interested in the exchange between the new prisoner and the attractive young woman opposite him. He looked back at his fiancé, his heart breaking. “What do I possibly have to be insecure about?”

Gabrielle clearly noticed his posturing and responded, “Oh, I don't know…maybe because the Conqueror was able to do to me what you couldn't?”

He literally staggered a step backward at Gabrielle's cruel remark. The visual of what that meant enraged him, especially when the other men in the field responded with lascivious comments or lewd laughter.

***

Suddenly, at Perdicus' expression, Gabrielle belatedly realized what he had been trying to do: protect himself and his masculinity in front of the others. Her face fell and she started to move toward him. “Perdicus…” she said, with a desperate undertone.

“Get away from me, Gabrielle,” he growled.

She stopped, knowing they had both crossed a line. “I'm sorry,” she said, willing him to understand.

His eyes were stone cold. “Yes. Yes, you are.” He turned and walked away from her, back to his assigned crew and began digging.

“Perdicus, please,” Gabrielle begged, her voice cracking with emotion.

He whirled and threw his spade at her, not realizing she had stepped closer. The wooden handle clipped her above the eye, splitting some skin on her brow. He stood, stunned, as Gabrielle's head snapped back and she collapsed to the ground, blood seeping from a cut on her forehead. “Gabrielle!” He was now panicked and took a step forward to try and reach her when he was violently pushed backward by the palace guard who escorted her to the garden, then held back by a burly prison guard.

Phaedrus knelt by Gabrielle, who moaned and raised a hand to her head. “Are you all right, Lady Gabrielle?” After she slowly nodded, the guard looked over at Perdicus. “You realize your life is forfeit, prisoner,” he said.

Perdicus lowered his head in shame. “As it should be.”

****

Xena entered the healer's quarters, the infirmus, quickly and walked over to the pallet where Gabrielle was being treated. At the presence of the Conqueror, all occupants in the room who were able, stood straight up and perfectly still. “As you were,” Xena commanded and everyone went back to what they had previously been doing.

“My Lord,” the healer acknowledged.

“Heron,” Xena addressed the healer. “How is she?”

“A bump and a cut. Two small stitches and it shouldn't leave a scar. It looks worse than it is.”

“Did she lose consciousness?”

“She says she did not and Phaedrus backs her up.”

“You can ask me, my Lord. I'm right here,” Gabrielle said to Xena, her voice raspy.

“Under the circumstances, I cannot be sure you will be entirely candid with me,” Xena told her.

She looked down at Gabrielle, who was holding a dry cloth to her forehead. The sovereign gently took the compress from Gabrielle's hand and inspected the damage. It looked painful but definitely not anywhere near fatal. The cut had already started to scab over. She gave the cloth back to Gabrielle and looked around the room with narrowed eyes. Her search ended on Phaedrus. “You were told what would transpire if anything happened to Gabrielle on your watch.” Xena's voice took on a deadly quiet timber.

“Yes, my Lord,” Phaedrus answered. “I have failed and I will accept my fate.” The quiver in his voice betrayed his brave face.

“Kneel,” Xena ordered Phaedrus.

As Xena removed her sword from its scabbard, Heron snapped his fingers at one of the younger attendants of the infirmus. “Philo, go fill a few buckets and bring some mops. This is going to get messy.”

The young man called Philo ran out the door, which caused Gabrielle to sit up to see what was going on. Her face registered shock at Xena preparing to behead Phaedrus. “No! What are you doing?”

“Not your concern, Gabrielle,” Xena said as Phaedrus bowed his head.

“Not my concern? You're going to kill him because of me, that makes it my concern, my Lord. It wasn't his fault; he doesn't deserve to die.”

Xena's sword arm lowered. “He disobeyed an order which resulted in your injury. It could have very well resulted in your death. I can't…I won't tolerate incompetence.”

“It didn't result in my death, my Lord. I'm fine. All this,” Gabrielle indicated her wound, “will be gone in a couple of days. He should not have to lose his life. I can't, no, I won't have that on my conscience.”

Xena was aware that all eyes in the room were either on her or the young bard. No one, except her most confidential advisors, had ever spoken to her this way. The truth was Xena didn't really want to kill Phaedrus. He had been a deferential, loyal soldier and one of the few she felt she could halfway trust. He was young. With age, more experience and training, she believed Phaedrus could be one of her top commanders. She pursed her lips in thought and looked at Gabrielle. “Tell me, Gabrielle, what would you do in my position?”

“Not kill him. You told me you don't destroy just for the fun of it. So don't. If you really think what happened today is a punishable offense, then make the punishment fit the crime. No one died, so he shouldn't have to. You say his crime is disobeying your order. Then devise a penalty where he has to earn your trust again. Sentence him to work his way back up to the position he holds now.”

Xena considered Gabrielle's suggestion. She inclined her head in thought. “And if I spare his life, what will that tell my army and subjects? That I'm soft-hearted?”

“There are worse things than being soft-hearted, my Lord,” Gabrielle said.

“Not for a conqueror,” Xena countered. She looked at Phaedrus, who was sweating profusely. “Heron, clear the infirmus,” she commanded without looking at the healer. “Everyone except Gabrielle and Phaedrus.”

“Yes, my Lord,” Heron said, hesitantly.

Xena looked over at Heron. “Problem?” Her tone of voice and eyes challenged him.

“No, my Lord. I just wanted to be here to, um…catch the head for less of a bloody mess,” Heron said.

Heron's words prompted Phaedrus to begin to dry heave. Xena rolled her eyes. “Out! All of you. Now.” Her tone brooked no argument and the occupants exited hastily. Xena resheathed her sword and walked around Phaedrus. She squatted in front of Gabrielle's guard as he attempted to regain composure. “What do you think I should do, Phaedrus? You allowed an infraction to occur on your watch. You allowed Gabrielle to get hurt and that defied the only order you had, other than not letting her out of your sight. And this is only her first day.”

“Please, my Lord,” Gabrielle began but shut up abruptly when Xena put her hand up, indicating for Gabrielle to stop.

“Phaedrus…I'm waiting.”

The young guard visibly swallowed. Then he looked Xena directly in the eye and held his head high and proudly. “I disobeyed you, my liege. I allowed Lady Gabrielle to be injured. Although it was unintentional, it's no excuse, my Lord. I understand you entrusted me with Lady Gabrielle's safety and I will accept whatever discipline you decide is just.”

Xena was impressed by the guard's demeanor. She stood up. “You didn't answer my question.”

“I admit, my liege, that I agree with Lady Gabrielle. I prefer not to die today. I would welcome a return to being a foot soldier in my Conqueror's army and work my way back into my Lord's trust. I understand I have let my Lord down and -”

“Why? Why have you let me down, Phaedrus?”

“Because I did not take any threat against Lady Gabrielle as seriously as I was ordered to.”

Xena nodded her head toward the door. “Report to the Taxiarch. Tell him that for the next moon, you will empty and clean chamber pots for all of Darphus' chain of command. I will be over later to confirm the punishment.”

Phaedrus' relief was palpable. “Yes, my liege. Thank you.” He stood and backed out of the infirmus, bowing as he exited.

“Thank you for your benevolence, my Lord,” Gabrielle said.

“Gabrielle, you are infuriating, irreverent and insubordinate. But you make me think,” Xena said as she paced. “Don't let this fool you into believing that you will always get your way; you won't. There were other factors in sparing Phaedrus life.”

“Which were?”

“He's Eirene's first born and I really don't think it's a good idea to run afoul of my cook.”

“Phaedrus is Eirene's son? What would have happened if I had not spoken on his behalf, my Lord?”

“I would have had to think of something but I was sure you wouldn't disappoint me. It's good to know my instincts are still as sharp as ever.”

Gabrielle sat back down on the pallet, grimacing a little when she did.

The soft wincing did not escape Xena's excellent hearing. “A little fire down below, Gabrielle?”

“Yes, my Lord,” Gabrielle admitted, blushing.

Xena nodded. “I'll have Heron mix an orangeroot balm for you. The sooner you apply it the quicker the soreness goes away.”

“Yes, my Lord. Thank you, my Lord.” Gabrielle's complexion was still flushed with embarrassment.

Gabrielle's chagrin provoked a chuckle from the conqueror. “Just because you have been chosen to provide me with a service you don't want to do doesn't mean it has to be all unpleasant. You may be a little sore but that won't last. And you certainly didn't seem to be too repulsed last night.”

With her chin dropping to her chest, Gabrielle mumbled, “If it pleases my Lord, can we not talk about that?”

“I think it would please milady more.” At Gabrielle's almost imperceptible nod, Xena said, “Now, what to do about your former intended.”

Gabrielle looked up at Xena, abruptly. She pulled the cloth away from above her eye and the scab, displaying swelling and bruising that marred the young bard's delicate features. “Please, Lord Xena, he was angry and he reacted badly.”

Xena indicated Gabrielle's injury. “Obviously. I spared him once. Why should I do it again?”

“You said you liked his spirit.”

“Yes, when he was fighting for you, not when he's fighting against you.”

“It was an accident, my Lord. I know Perdicus would not intentionally hurt me. Or Lila.”

“The boy you knew perhaps wouldn't have but the stakes have changed, Gabrielle. I'm his sworn enemy and I now have possession of that which he covets most – his once future wife. The way I see it, he has nothing to lose. He has the makings of a martyr, getting to me through you. Or to you through your sister. I mean, it's all for the ‘cause,' right?” When Gabrielle didn't answer, Xena continued. “So…what would make the most impact? Force him to watch you and I in my bedchamber while we create our children?”

Gabrielle inhaled sharply. “That will only make him hate you more.”

“First, I doubt that's possible and second, I'm not in a popularity contest so whether he does or doesn't is of no concern to me. And I really don't want him anywhere near my private chambers.”

“Please don't kill him, my Lord,” Gabrielle begged.

“How many more chances should I give him, Gabrielle?” Xena's tone was stony but not mean.

I confronted him , my Lord, not the other way around. Shouldn't I share responsibility for my injury?”

“Yes, you should and until I decide what to do with that former intended of yours, you shall be restricted to certain areas of the palace. Karpos will take over your guard duties and I will assign someone else to Lila.”

“But -”

“Enough!” Xena finally raised her voice, which rendered Gabrielle silent. “I'll tell Heron to make up some orangeroot salve for you.”

“In front of the others, my Lord?” Gabrielle asked, abashed.

This made Xena chuckle again. “It is used for swelling and inflammation. The balm can be used for many things, Gabrielle. Heron and the others won't think anything of it.”

Gabrielle released a small nod. “Thank you, my Lord.”

Xena stepped closer to the door, then turned toward Gabrielle and said, “Don't think being sore is going to get you out of your duties.”

Another full blush crawled up Gabrielle's face. “I understand, my Lord,” Gabrielle said.

As Xena exited, she couldn't help but read Gabrielle's expression as almost…eager. “Heron!” she called.

The healer rushed around the corner and bowed his head upon his approach to the sovereign. “Please, Lord Xena, I saw Phaedrus run out of the infirmus as though his posterior were aflame. Please tell me you didn't behead that lovely young woman in there.”

“Lady Gabrielle is perfectly fine except for the bruises I did not give her. However, I do need you to concoct a balm of orangeroot to take with her when she leaves.”

Heron shook his head with a ‘tsk, tsk' sound. “Such a naughty conqueror. Must you ravish every comely wench who crosses your path?” There was a knowing smirk on his face.

“Heron, I don't know why I tolerate you and your insolence.” There was a slightly, tilted smile on Xena's face, as well.

“Probably because I am your mother's cousin, my Lord.”

****

Xena returned to an open section of the royal estate that was used for drill and ceremony, to oversee the indoctrination and training of her most elite battle force. This was the corps of people who would be commissioned as officers in her Army and would eventually lead and prepare other troops to win battles and skirmishes in the outlands and areas of the unchartered territories, land still to be conquered.

After seeing that exercises were being conducted in earnest, with precision and without foolery, Xena then moved to another area of the training fields and observed another segment of inculcation. This group of newer recruits, called footmen, were being taught how to use a recently developed spear called a sarisa, which was nearly ten cubits in length. These particular weapons gave the front ranks an advantage when attacking in a column or phalanx. With full knowledge and practice of the weapon, they could strike their blow before coming within range of the opposing army's infantry swords.

The training had to be continuous and excelled in because the spear-carriers had no defense or shield; they had to use both hands to hold the sarisa. Xena had also created another division of soldiers called hypaspists, or shield porters, whose sole job was to protect the flanks of the sarisa infantry. In war games, on either side of the shield porters were well-prepared cavalry. Xena ordered that these interweaving squads be drilled and trained constantly and to perfection. Anyone who showed any hesitation or laze was removed and replaced with someone more disciplined and enthusiastic. They knew that working together as a team ensured their survival in battle much more than wanting the glory of being the “hero.” They also knew that if they were the cause of another sarisa-bearer dying by not doing their part of the combined effort, their life would be forfeit. The conqueror tolerated no individuality in dire circumstances such as battle.

She stood next to her second-in-command, Darphus, a former warlord with a brutal and significant code of dishonor. He had a scarred, asymmetrical, weather-beaten face and a way of always speaking with a sneer. The only person who wasn't afraid of Darphus was Xena. She felt she had made him; she could break him, although she would never underestimate him, his capabilities or the viciousness that flowed through his veins. Darphus was only as loyal as the money and power that kept coming his way.

“I hear you've taken a peasant to your bed,” Darphus said, conversationally.

“And? It's not like that's never happened before,” Xena said, blandly, watching the play on the field.

“I also hear she spent the entire night in your chambers. I know that's never happened before. I also know that Phaedrus reported for shit duty because that same peasant, that he was ordered to guard, got hurt by a prisoner. What's going on, Xena?”

Xena kept her voice even as she finally turned her focus on him. “If I wanted you to know, Darphus, you would know. Who I take to my bed and let stay there is none of your business.”

“It is if it in any way begins to interfere with our mission.”

Our mission? You mean my mission that I'm allowing you to participate in. You may be my general but I don't answer to you. You answer to me.”

“Yes. You never let me forget it.

“Because you always have to remind me that I can't let you forget it.” She had to stop herself from openly snickering at his frustration of never having been in her bed or ever having been in charge of her. He made no secret of his desire to conquer her in every way possible and each tale of someone else being allowed to have her in ways he wasn't, just ratcheted up his anger level even more. He was atrocious at hiding his indignation. Darphus had his talents and uses but they were all military; Xena found him neither attractive nor constructive in any other way. She realized that a lot of her reputation as a barbarian was due to Darphus' orders and actions when he commanded the battalions during campaigns. People were terrified of him, his ruthlessness, and character, which was violent and indifferent to another's suffering.

Darphus seemed to bite off any retort that dangled on his lips and both Xena and her general's attention returned to the training maneuvers on the field. “So…who is this peasant that has you so entranced?” He spit out the word ‘peasant' as though it left a horrible taste in his mouth.

“You will eventually meet her and when you do, you will address her as Lady Gabrielle or milady.”

“So she is someone of nobility, then? I had not heard that.”

“What have you heard?”

“That you went virgin hunting for some reason, found this wench and brought her back here. No one said anything about her being of a noble class. Who are her parents?”

“Her parents are dead. She will be addressed as ‘Lady' because I say she is to be addressed that way. That should be all the reason you need.”

Darphus turned and rendered a deep bow. “As you wish, Lord Conqueror.”

As his tone was clear mockery, this time Xena did chuckle out loud. “Really, Darphus. Get a grip. I always have a plan, don't I? And I always succeed.”

Darphus walked away, emitting a sound that resembled a growling Cerberus. Xena stared after him momentarily, then returned her attention to the field. She never completely trusted him and wondered if she needed to think about the possibility of replacing him before he acted on Gabrielle and/or their future children being a weakness for her. She wouldn't put it past him.

She mentally inventoried her military hierarchy. It might have been time to start thinking of a suitable successor for her dangerously unpredictable general.

***

Demetria entered the conqueror's bedchamber and lit the wall torches and oil lamps. Gabrielle was seated on the bed, waiting as instructed. “Lady Gabrielle, your eve meal will be served shortly.”

“Will Lord Xena be joining me?”

“I do believe she was not that far behind me, milady.”

“Do you have any wine, Demetria?” Gabrielle asked, nervously.

“I'm sure there will be wine served with your food. Lord Xena always has wine with her meals.”

Xena walked in and acknowledged Demetria with a nod and instantly began to strip off her clothes. Gabrielle's eyes went wide and she began to tremble, not sure if the response was fear, anticipation or both.

“Gabrielle, how's your head?” Xena asked. Before Gabrielle could answer, Xena approached her and inspected her bruise and cut. “Looks like it's going to heal fast.” She then strutted off to the bathing chamber.

Gabrielle swallowed visibly and closed her eyes. Her reaction to the conqueror's naked body unnerved her and the sudden moisture forming at her tender and disloyal nether regions annoyed her.

“Demetria, tell Chrysanthe they can bring up our meal,” Xena called out from the bath, a built-in sunken tub in a section of the chamber separated only by a four-panel divider screen made of elm wood. Hand-painted and glazed with gold designs of bonsai trees and dancing geishas in kimonos done in soapstone, the folding screen was a gift from the overlord of Japa.

“Yes, my Lord, it will be set up before you're done with your bath.”

“And bring Gabrielle a goblet of wine before she passes out from anxiety,” Xena added.

“Yes, my Lord,” Demetria said and left the chamber quietly.

Gabrielle listened to Xena circulate in the water. She envisioned the conqueror's lithe body moving sensually as strong and skilled hands washed long, muscular legs and glided over other areas of the powerful frame of the sovereign. Gabrielle closed her eyes and imagined those same hands on her, bringing her over the edge with sensations she wasn't sure she could ever get enough of. She had to bite her own lip to remind herself not to moan.

Demetria returned and handed Gabrielle a chalice, filled with red wine. She also carried a small firkin of the conqueror's favorite vintage to replace the nearly empty cask that sat on a ledge over the table. Demetria then opened the door to the bedchamber and allowed the servants to bring in food and place it on the rectangular, wooden dining table, held up by four legs carved in the shape of lions paws.

Xena finished her bath and donned her silk robe, motioning Gabrielle over to the buffet. The young bard drained her goblet and joined Xena at the table, loaded with several terra cotta bowls filled with different flavors of cheese, flat breads, roast pheasant, sardines, artichokes, olives, tzatziki, aubergine, spanakopita and a platter of figs, pomegranate and apricots.

Gabrielle scanned all of the cuisine and her stomach growled as if on command. The sound made Xena chuckle. “Fill up, young bard, you're going to need the sustenance for later on.” She gave Gabrielle a saucy wink accompanied by a rakish grin.

The young bard swallowed visibly and stuck her arm out, holding the empty chalice. “Could I have some more wine, please, my Lord?”

“Maybe after you have something in your belly to feed that beast. Besides, you need to be more aware tonight.”

“Um…okay,” she said hesitantly. “Why?”

“You shouldn't have all the fun, Gabrielle. You need to learn how to satisfy my needs as well.” Xena walked around the table and filled her plate with what looked like a little bit of everything.

“But I thought that's what you had body servants for.”

“I do have body servants for the sole purpose of pleasuring my every carnal whim. I want you to learn as well.” She looked back at Gabrielle who wore an expression that seemed to be a cross between terror and longing.

Gabrielle once again thrust out the wine goblet. “Please, my Lord?”

****

The eve meal completed and the table cleared, Xena and a much more relaxed Gabrielle sat across from each other, finishing their wine. The young bard's countenance had mellowed and Xena made sure the alcohol consumption was nowhere near that of the night before. She was rewarded with a curious, inquisitive Gabrielle who had shed her defiance and dropped her self-preserving walls. Xena guessed that this was the Gabrielle she was normally, without the stress of all that was currently going on. This young woman was extremely pleasant to be around.

“Why do you go by My Lord instead of My Lady? You are, after all, a woman, and isn't that the proper way a lady of nobility is addressed?”

“Hmmm…proper, lady. Two words that are out of place in describing me, don't you think? Besides, men don't give the same respect to the title Lady Conqueror as they do Lord Conqueror.”

“Why? Surely, your reputation added to the skill and fearlessness you instill guarantees they follow you blindly into any battle, regardless of what is or isn't between your legs.”

“Your naiveté charms me,” Xena said, her lips pursed and eyes twinkling in a delighted manner.

“You're mocking me.”

“Not at all. I truly believe that you think it doesn't matter. It does. I have to be twice as ruthless, twice as barbaric, twice as strong, twice as smart and, until I actually took over the known world, I was still only given half the recognition. And, even now, there are times my reputation isn't enough to warn my enemy against wanting to be the one who conquers the conqueror, not for any reasons of triumph of gaining the position themselves but because they are so sure that I – a mere woman – can't be all that.

“To carry the name of Lady Conqueror would just perpetuate the myth that I cannot possibly be the savage I am legend to be, that the men in my command earned the status for me and I've just taken all the glory. I know it's just a word but that one word makes all the difference.”

“But…why do you want to be known as such a savage?”

“The men don't respect anything less.”

“You think these men respect you? They fear you,” Gabrielle said, making sure her tone of voice remained calm and level.

“The fact that they fear me is, in itself, respect. How many women – mortal women - do you know of that men anywhere fear?”

Gabrielle earnestly thought about Xena's question. Finally, she said, “Only you, My Lord.”

“Yes. Only me.” Xena emptied her chalice and studied Gabrielle momentarily. “How are you? Did the orangeroot help?”

“Very much so, my Lord,” Gabrielle said and found sudden interest in the bottom of her empty goblet.

“Good.” Xena stood and held her hand out to the young bard. Gabrielle looked up at the extended fingers and then engaged the Conqueror with a look that seemed to reflect a mixture of apprehension and fascination.

Gabrielle reached out and entwined her fingers with Xena's as the Conqueror slowly pulled her to her feet. She trailed slightly behind Xena as they strolled around the chamber extinguishing all light except that which cast a soft glow over the bed. When Xena began to undress Gabrielle, she couldn't ignore the smaller trembling body beneath her hands.

“Scared?” Xena's voice was a hush and she lifted Gabrielle's chin so that the young bard would look at her.

“Yes. No. I…I don't know what I am, my Lord.”

“Have I hurt you yet, Gabrielle?”

“N-no, my Lord.”

“Have I given you pleasure?” Xena's tone took on a seductive, silky quality. When Gabrielle paused longer than was expected, Xena leaned down and captured the young bard's lips in a surprisingly gentle kiss. “Have I?” Xena asked, again.

*****

Gabrielle thought that she needed to scream at her and push Xena away, tell her “No!” She felt she should be disgusted and uncooperative and defiant to the end. She also knew any refusal of the Conqueror's advances would be futile and only bring hardship on Lila. Plus Xena had given her pleasure and she had not been able to disguise the thrill and passion that she repeatedly expressed the result of. In fact, Gabrielle wasn't sure ‘pleasure' adequately described the emotions and reactions Xena had so effortlessly brought forth in her.

“Yes, my Lord,” Gabrielle finally answered in a husky whisper.

Xena kissed her again, this time with a little more ardor and Gabrielle melted into the Conqueror's embrace. The fluttering in Gabrielle's belly contributed to the now uncontrollable quivering streaking through her limbs and torso.

“Relax, Gabrielle,” Xena said, softly. “I promise I won't hurt you.”

Gabrielle acquiesced with a barely perceptible nod and Xena continued to undress her. She closed her eyes while her robe was removed, leaving her naked in body and emotion. As much as she wanted to despise the Conqueror for, well, everything , she could neither ignore nor deny the arousal Xena evoked in her or the way she became defenseless to the sovereign's allure in the bedchamber.

When Xena's fingers glided over Gabrielle's skin, they left a thrilling fire in their wake. There was a spot on her throat that, when kissed there by Xena, elicited a most indecent moan from her. It made her flesh pebble and the fine, little hairs on her arms stand up. Even a simple kiss to her lips from the Conqueror caused more moisture to form between her legs. Xena could reduce her to a molten puddle with little effort and although she hated herself for responding, she was helpless to resist her own body's carnal urges when touched by the experienced, sensual sovereign.

Before she could get her first lesson in how to please the Conqueror, Xena made sure that Gabrielle's awakening sexual impulses were indulged and well sated. Gabrielle was allowed time to recover from what felt like several rides over a glorious waterfall. When she was almost asleep from exhaustion and fulfillment, Xena kissed that spot on her neck again, waking up every part of her body.

She looked up into pale blue eyes that seemed to be devouring her with a libidinous glance. Xena straddled Gabrielle and took both her hands. Xena kissed them before she placed them on her breasts. Gabrielle slowly caressed the substantial mounds of flesh, running her thumbs over rose-colored nipples already hard from their previous activity. Gabrielle hadn't done much touching the night before and now, it seemed, she was being given free reign to the Conqueror's magnificent body.

Magnificent? Where had that thought come from? Despite everything, Gabrielle had to admit that Xena's body was a finely chiseled masterpiece. Her imposing, powerful, lithe frame could not be contested and Gabrielle was quick to discover that the Conqueror was as much of a tempting seductress as she was a warrior of unparalleled skill. Before last night, the only female bodies she ever saw unclothed were hers and Lila's but she had seen paintings and sculptures and, clearly, Xena was an exquisite specimen.

She knew Xena was watching her through hooded eyes as she explored the hills and plains of Xena's chest and torso. Soon enough, Xena's patience thinned and she moved Gabrielle's hands down between her legs where Gabrielle knew heat and wetness awaited her. She lightly stroked the soaked, soft yet wiry, dark triangle of hair covering Xena's center. She then tentatively moved her fingers to the outer folds of Xena's womanhood.

When Xena gasped, Gabrielle pulled her hand away, startled, then looked up at the Conqueror for instruction to continue.

“Don't be afraid, Gabrielle,” Xena murmured, breathily, as she placed Gabrielle's hand back between her legs. “I want your fingers there. And once you're done pleasing me that way, I want your tongue there.”

Gabrielle wanted to protest except the memory of how Xena's mouth on her made her feel provoked a whole new rush of arousal to hit her. “Yes, Lord Xena,” Gabrielle said and returned to her task.

Xena covered one of Gabrielle's hands with her own and began to demonstrate how and where she wanted to be fondled. Gabrielle was surprised at the slick, velvety feel of the Conqueror's womanhood and how it responded to her touch. She had never explored her own body, other than a cursory investigation for medical reasons, never for pleasure and she was captivated by the depth and different textures. She was shocked at how empowered she felt when Xena rocked and moaned to her ministrations. Xena had placed one of Gabrielle's hands inside her and the other on her clitoris showing Gabrielle how to stimulate each area for the maximum effect. Before she knew it, she was thrusting to the Conqueror's rhythm, awed by Xena's passionate reaction, culminating in a powerful orgasm for the Conqueror and near spontaneous combustion for Gabrielle.

When Xena regained control of her breathing, she lifted herself off Gabrielle's hand and stretched her body over Gabrielle's, skin to skin. She reached down and brought Gabrielle's fingers to her mouth and then eased them past Gabrielle's lips. Remembering Xena's actions from the night before, Gabrielle ran her tongue over the coated digits and then sucked the essence off. She was intrigued by the heady taste, far from repulsed as she envisioned she would be. She had been dreading the idea of orally servicing the Conqueror but now she excitedly anticipated the new experience.

Xena kissed Gabrielle fervently and pressed her thigh between Gabrielle's legs, moving against her in a delicious friction that propelled them both over the edge again. Before Gabrielle could completely recover from her climax, Xena raised herself up on her knees and gently settled over Gabrielle's mouth. Gabrielle breathed in the Conqueror's unique scent and closed her eyes.

“Show me what you know, Gabrielle,” Xena said, huskily. “Do to me what you like done to you.”

With that, Gabrielle circled her arms around Xena's thighs and urged the Conqueror's wet center down to her face. Gabrielle took a few timid swipes with her tongue.

“Gods, Gabrielle, more,” Xena gasped. “Harder. Remember how I pleased you.”

With that instruction, Gabrielle sealed her mouth around the hardened nub and began to lave and suck. The more Xena encouraged her with moans and movement, the braver and more efficient Gabrielle became at this new lesson. She was shocked that once Xena forcefully crested, Gabrielle craved more, enjoying the giving almost as much as the receiving. When Xena flopped on her back, trying to catch her breath, Gabrielle instantly felt the loss of contact and missed it. She stared at the high ceiling and wondered who this wanton sexual being was who had replaced her cautious, common sense self.

When Xena reached for her moments later, Gabrielle was all too willing to submit to being ravished again by the Conqueror. The last thing she remembered after nearly passing out from gratification, was being pulled against Xena and spooned before she ventured off to the land of Morpheus.

****

In what felt like a blink of the eye, a fortnight had passed and daily living had become almost boringly routine. All except for the nights in the Conqueror's bed: they were anything but dull. Gabrielle hated how much she looked forward to the nocturnal sex play. Xena was never brutal or even rough with her. On the contrary, she seemed to have infinite patience with Gabrielle's sexual education and was boundlessly solicitous to satisfy both their needs. Lest Gabrielle get the wrong idea, though, the Conqueror never let her forget that she was there to serve an express purpose. Xena ended every lustful session with, “By tomorrow, I hope you're with child.”

Another sennight went by of activities that seemed commonplace in the palace. Gabrielle and Lila were beginning to almost enjoy living in the royal household. They were never ordered or forced to do anything specific, other than Gabrielle's nightly requirements, and they had both made friends as they tried to familiarize themselves with all the duties of a functioning royal estate.

As Lila became attached to the stables, enjoying grooming and interacting with the horses there, Gabrielle took delight in helping Eirene around the kouzína. She learned something new every day about preparing food and cooking. She had done her share of meal concoctions back in Poteidaia but the menu was always limited to the barest minimum of staples. Working in the Conqueror's kitchen was an eye-opening and much appreciated experience. Plus she genuinely liked Eirene and the other women who assisted there and no one ever treated her like, well, the Conqueror's brood mare.

Although no one blatantly called her that, word had gotten around that Gabrielle was to be the vessel to supply the Conqueror with children. No one was privy to the exact details of how this would be accomplished but there was no lack of gossip about Gabrielle's role and that she had achieved a previously unheard of feat – spending all night with Xena in the same bed. Gabrielle was starting to get used to the stares and the whispering, after all, no one would dare mistreat or disparage her unless they wanted to be the next decapitated head on one of the many stakes that surrounded the royal grounds.

Some regarded her with interest and envy while others looked on with disgust or puzzlement. Not that it mattered because Karpos ensured that everyone kept a safe and respectful distance from his charge. Gabrielle knew he didn't want to end up cleaning shit and piss like Phaedrus so he wasn't about to make the same error in judgment. She wondered what, if anything, would change either in her protection or perception of her once she had conceived.

She was torn about her impending motherhood. She would birth the Conqueror's children but they would also be half her blood. That fact alone would never cause her to turn them away unless she was forced. If she was allowed to participate at all in their upbringing, maybe she could instill a sense of fairness in them.

Gabrielle had always planned at some point to become a mother but she wanted it to be her choice of when and, of course, who would undertake the role of parent with her. She figured it would be Perdicus and certainly never envisioned she would be in circumstances such as these. As much as she didn't want to be any part of the Conqueror's scheme, her participation was inevitable and now she pretty much woke up every morning, echoing Lord Xena's words in her head. She hoped she would be with child. Not that she had any outward objections to her coital catechism at Xena's hands but she was exhausted and figured once she had conceived, the Conqueror would give her a break.

****

Gabrielle awoke with a feeling of discomfort in her lower belly. Then the cramps started. She flew out of bed and ran to the chamber commode. She could smell the coppery scent before she could see the blood.

She dressed and ran down to the kitchen, Karpos close behind her. She spotted Eirene. “Have you seen Lila this morning?”

“She just left for the stables.” Eirene stared at Gabrielle, clearly concerned at the young woman's pale and clammy complexion. “Are you all right, Lady Gabrielle?”

Gabrielle nodded as a wave of crippling pain seared through her, causing her to bend at the waist and grab her belly. She didn't say a word, just held her breath until the sensation passed.

Eirene registered an expression of comprehension. She put down her bread pan and approached the young bard. “The curse of Selene?” Eirene asked, her volume low, as not to embarrass Gabrielle in front of Karpos. When Gabrielle nodded, Eirene said, “Find Demetria, tell her to get you some feverfew leaves from Heron's stock. When you have it, bring it to me and we will help soothe your pain.”

Gabrielle nodded again. “Thank you, Eirene.”

Later, after she drank a cup of tea made with the leaves of the herb Eirene had her get, her pelvic muscles stopped contracting and the pain was now tolerable.

After Gabrielle's cramps had settled to a dull ache, following the second dose of feverfew-laced tea, she sought out her sister at the stables.

“You're kidding!” she heard Lila say with an added giggle. Gabrielle rounded the corner and spotted her sister brushing one of the stallions. Standing next to her was a strapping young man with dark, good looks and a dimple on one side of his face when he smiled that rendered him almost guileless. Yet he was dressed in the uniform of the Conqueror's Army so she knew he couldn't possibly be as innocent as he looked. She then glanced at her sister, whose twinkling eyes and flush told Gabrielle that Lila was smitten.

Lila turned to see Gabrielle enter the stables with Karpos closely behind her. “Gabrielle!” She seemed startled to see Gabrielle outside the main palace. Then she looked at the young soldier. “Gabrielle, this is Agathon. He's one of the royal stable guards. Agathon, this is my sister, Gabrielle.”

Agathon bowed respectfully. “Pleasure to finally meet you, milady. Your sister's descriptions don't do you justice.”

She was in a position to see Karpos roll his eyes and she suppressed a laugh. “Thank you, Agathon. Clearly you are quite the charmer. Lila is certainly taken with you.”

“Gabrielle!” Lila squeaked, mortified, as Agathon blushed at the statement.

Regaining his composure, Agathon said, “Yes, well, um…I should get back to my rounds. Lady Gabrielle. Lila. It was a pleasure.” He executed another slight bow, turned and left their end of the stables.

“Gabrielle!” Lila folded her arms across her chest and glared at Gabrielle. “You embarrassed me,” she admonished.

Gabrielle looked around for Lila's bodyguard. “Where's Georgios?”

“I'm here, milady!”

Gabrielle turned toward the voice and saw Georgios approach from around a corner, tucking himself back in.

“Apologies, Lady Gabrielle. Nature called and Agathon was here, so…”

“It is of no concern to me, Georgios, but had I been Lord Xena, the outcome might be different,” Gabrielle told him. There was an unusual edge to her voice that prompted a puzzled look from Lila.

“Are you okay? Is something wrong?” Lila asked.

“Can we please talk about this in your chambers, Lila?” Gabrielle implored.

“But…the horses -”

“Will still be here when you get back. Please, Lila.” She lowered her voice. “I think I'm in trouble.”

Lila cocked her head at Gabrielle's words and then her eyes went wide at realization. “You…you mean…” Lila also lowered her volume. “Are you pregnant?”

“No,” Gabrielle stated, panic clearly showing in her eyes. “Exactly the opposite. The Conqueror will be furious.”

Lila pulled Gabrielle into a tight hug. “Told ya she didn't have the right equipment,” Lila mumbled into Gabrielle's ear. She released Gabrielle and took her hand. “Come on, let's go to my room. I'll protect you,” Lila said, valiantly.

*****

Xena nodded to Karpos and walked into her bedchamber. She looked around for Gabrielle and found the room empty. This was unacceptable. Gabrielle knew she was always supposed to be on the Conqueror's bed by the time Xena returned at the end of day. It had been the exact same ritual for nearly a moon: she sent word to Karpos that she was on her way and it was the guard's standing order to immediately escort Gabrielle to her chamber before the Conqueror returned from wherever she was. The routine was bath, dinner and bed.

Xena walked back to her door, opened it and glared at Karpos, who suddenly began to sweat profusely. “Is there something you need to tell me, Karpos?” Xena asked, noticing the stress of the moment painted all over him.

“About what, Lord Xena?” His voice held only a hint of a tremble.

The Conqueror's eyes narrowed to slits, her voice a feral growl. “Where is Gabrielle?”

Karpos nodded his head in the direction of Lila's door. “Lady Gabrielle is in her sister's chamber, my Lord.”

Xena's demeanor became even more menacing. “Why is she not in my chamber, Karpos?”

“She…she refuses, Lord Xena.”

“She -?” Xena marched to the door and kicked it open so it struck the wall with a loud bang. Everybody but Xena jumped. She looked into the terrified, yet defiant eyes of the young bard. Lila held on to Gabrielle, protectively. Xena reached for Gabrielle and yanked her with such force that it propelled Lila forward and she fell when she lost her grip.

Xena dragged a reluctant and struggling Gabrielle into her bedchamber and slammed the door. She pulled a resistant bard to the bed and threw her down on it. Before Gabrielle could get up, Xena covered the smaller woman's body with her own.

“No, My Lord, please!” Gabrielle pleaded. She was crying and she sounded terrified.

“No?” Xena roared. “Nobody tells me no!” Xena roughly tore Gabrielle's top and ripped it away from her body.

“You don't understand. I'm unclean,” Gabrielle said, whimpering.

Xena stopped, confused. “Unclean?” Then her tone turned deadly. “Who has touched you?”

“No one but you, My Lord. I'm unclean because I started cycling this morning.” The last sentence was stated in a whisper.

“You…” Xena was, at first, nonplussed, then furious. She glared into the frightened, watery, red eyes of Gabrielle and eased her grip. Xena took several deep breaths to calm herself and then said, “For future reference, your bleeding will not affect our arrangement. I believe you will find the act surprisingly pleasurable while cycling. I know I always have.” She released the bard and sat up, getting herself under control. “Know this, Gabrielle…don't ever deny me again or I will take you by force in such a way you will never forget and I will make your sister watch.”

Gabrielle nodded her comprehension and said, timidly, “I wasn't afraid of sex with you during my moon cycle, my Lord. I was afraid that you would be angry that I failed you.”

“That you -?” Xena wasn't grasping the young woman's meaning.

“That I failed to conceive your child,” Gabrielle whispered with shame in her tone.

Xena blinked back the realization that she was about to savagely punish Gabrielle for the sole crime of the young bard being frightened of her. The Conqueror stood up and left the room without another word.

****

“Ares! She hasn't conceived!” Xena shouted as she entered the remote room in which she usually dealt with the God of War.

Ares materialized in all his cocky divinity “Maybe you're doing something wrong.”

Xena whirled to face him. “Trust me…that is one area I don't do anything wrong.”

“Your arrogance is well placed, Xena. But if she's not yet with child, maybe you're not the stud you used to be.”

“Oh, please, my proficiency in the bedroom is legendary.”

“Right. You sure she's not, you know, faking it? It's not like she had a choice of whether or not to be in your bed.”

“She's not faking it, I can tell.”

“Of course you can,” Ares said, a shit-eating grin on his face.

Xena was finished playing games with him. “Maybe your prowess as a god isn't what it used to be.”

“There is nothing wrong with any of my capabilities. I gave you the ability to impregnate her. If there's no bun in her oven yet, maybe you're kneading the dough wrong. Or maybe she isn't as fertile as you'd hoped. Told ya to go for the sister.”

“I didn't want the sister, I wanted her. Why hasn't she conceived?”

Ares shrugged. “I guess you'll just have to keep trying. She's the one you chose to bear your heirs, she's the one you're stuck with.”

“Why do you stand there with that imperious smirk? Ares…what are you hiding from me?”

“Xena. I'm hurt that you think I wouldn't disclose everything to you.” He looked anything but offended.

She stalked toward him. “Ares! Curse you to Hera, tell me!”

Ares laughed. “Oh, look at the time!” He disappeared in a flash.

Xena looked upward. “Son-of-a -” She slammed her fist against the stone wall, frustrated and angry. She then got an idea and stormed off to find Heron.

****

“You really should tell her, brother,” Artemis said, when Ares appeared near the stoa at Zeus' temple in Mount Olympus. They watched Xena stomp off.

“Tell her what?”

“That the only way Gabrielle will conceive is if she falls in love with Xena.”

Ares stopped smirking and studied his sister, suspiciously. “How did you know about that?”

“I heard you brag to Hephaestus.”

“Hey, I've given her all the tools – so to speak – she needs to figure the rest out for herself.”

“Why? Why must there always be a caveat with you? Hasn't Xena been loyal to you? Why don't you grant her this free and clear?”

He exploded. “Because the only person I want her to procreate with is me! Together, Xena, our children, we can be unstoppable. If blondie can't give her heirs to her throne, her only other option will be to turn to me. And with the way Xena treats that little bitch, there's no way love will even come close to passing between them. And you can't interfere, so you can't tell her.”

“You never cease to amaze me with your devious mind. Why did you tease Xena with the power if you weren't going to give her all the information?”

“I couldn't deny her. She's done everything I've asked her, except for sex. She never asks me for anything. I couldn't refuse her this.”

“And what if Gabrielle does fall in love with her?”

“Fat chance but, if it happens then I guess I lose. And you know how I hate to lose.”

“It's always about you, isn't it, Ares?”

“Hey…I'm not the God of Nice. I'm the God of savage War, Bloodlust and Slaughter. I can't be on my game if I'm worried about stuff that's in Aphrodite's realm.”

Artemis shook her head in disgust and left Ares alone. He was pretty sure his sister wouldn't encroach on his territory. Even if his sister could put the idea in the irritating little blonde's head to fall in love with the Conqueror, there was one other thing he neglected to mention to Hephaestus so Artemis could not have overheard: Xena also has to fall in love with Gabrielle…and Xena's incapable of that kind of love.

****

Every third fortnight, the Conqueror held trials and sentencing in an open but well-guarded palace courtyard. Occasionally, she allowed her subjects to crowd the enclosure, to remind the citizens of Corinth that she was not a person to be trifled with. Not that she actually believed any of her common citizens would attempt to play fast and loose with her rules; their observance was more for the word of mouth warning to others passing through who may have had a delusion of grandeur or two. Today, however, the proceedings would be for an exclusive few: her counsel, select territory overlords, her taxiarch and officers immediately ranked just below brigadier. All the prisoners who were scheduled to be judged and punished, were also present.

Xena was in full “conqueror” attire. Perched upon her perfectly coiffed hair was a headdress of solid gold feathers with adorning jewels. Her face had been made-up with a deep, blood red-colored lipstick and coal lined her eyes, causing them to take on an almost translucent quality. Even accenting her natural stunning beauty didn't make her look any less strong or fierce, nor did it take away from her credibility as a merciless, powerful leader. In fact, as she sat on her throne, scanning the occupants of the courtyard, her silence radiated an aura of danger, her expression impassive but her eyes smoldered with undertones of barely contained anger. The regalia only served to give her a darker, more forceful, more sinister look.

She was dressed in a black, silk kimono embroidered with gold-threaded flowers, held together by a soft leather sash. Lustrous yellow braided trim bordered the leather collar and the billowing bell sleeves. Many jeweled rings adorned her hand that held her scepter, an ornamental staff she used only for sacramental occasions as a symbol of her sovereignty.

Just before the formalities began, she ordered Gabrielle escorted to stand silently by the throne. Xena had earlier warned the young bard to mind her manners, reminding her unnecessarily that any outburst would not fare well for Lila.

With a subtle hand signal from the Conqueror, the ceremony began. “Bring out the first prisoner!” Chariton, the official palace crier, announced. A bearded, middle-aged, dark haired man was dragged forward, who stared up at Xena with open contempt.

“What's his crime?” Xena asked, as she studied the demeanor of the disheveled man.

“Theft from the Realm, my liege.” Chariton unrolled the scroll a little further and read. “Josias of Apollonia, owner of the tavern, Orion's Sting. He was witnessed pouring free port and ale to anyone who couldn't afford it.”

Xena nodded. “And why would you do such a thing, Josias of Apollonia?” she asked, with a tilt of her head.

“Port and ale are gifts from the Gods, not from the Conqueror!” he spat. “You work so many so hard and do not pay them proper coin to relax or celebrate milestones in their miserable, wretched lives. I rewarded them.”

Xena took in Josias' obstinate tone and stance. She then looked at Chariton. “Is there a cost to this benevolence?”

“Oh, yes, Lord Conqueror. Over 500 minae, nearly a talent.”

Her eyes narrowed and shot back to engage the defiant Josias. “That's a whole lot of port and ale. Dinars, obols…even drachmas worth, I might be able to see – certainly not approve of – but see. Did you charge anyone anything for the spirits sent in good standing from the Realm's resources to your tavern in Appolonia?”

“No. I gave it all away,” Josias said, his voice a rebellious snarl. “And I'd do it again.”

“It seems you don't want to live very long, Josias. Far be it from me to deny you your goal.” She addressed the guards holding him. “Take him to the side until Heron can return with a chalice of hemlock.” She returned her attention to Josias, who suddenly didn't look so bold. “In deference to your generous nature, Josias, your poison will be free of charge. Your tavern, on the other hand, will be taken over by appointed members of my staff and occupied until every dinar is reimbursed to the Realm.”

“But…my wife, my children…” Josias sputtered, as he was pulled to the side.

“You should have considered them before you made such a foolish decision,” Xena said, evenly, with a lift of an eyebrow. “Is his family here?” she asked Chariton.

“Yes, my liege.”

“Bring them here. They can watch him die.”

As the crier called to bring forth Josias' family, Xena heard a gasp from Gabrielle when a woman and three small children were pushed to the forefront.

The children, two girls and a boy, were either all small for their ages or under six summers old. They did not appear to grasp the seriousness of what was going on or what was to happen, the youngest, frightened and crying in the arms of her mother.

“Please, my Lord…are you really going to make them watch their father die such a horrible death?” Even though Gabrielle's voice was a whisper, her words carried clearly to Xena's ears.

“You are familiar with how hemlock works?” Xena asked her, keeping her focus on the young family.

“I know that paralysis will begin at his feet and slowly crawl up his body while his mind remains clear until it reaches his brain.”

Xena smirked. “That's according to Plato's account of Socrates death. I can assure you, it is much more gruesome and violent.”

“Why would you want those little ones to witness that?”

“It will be part of Josias' sentence, to know his impressionable children will have that image forever burned into their memory.”

“That will traumatize them,” Gabrielle said, her whisper more desperate. “They're practically babies.”

“All the more reason to condition them early. Follow my laws or face the consequences.”

“Lord Xena, please -”

“Gabrielle, enough.” Xena commanded. She settled back into her throne and spoke to Chariton. “Who's next?”

“Acacius of Thessalonica!” he announced.

Xena alerted on the name but couldn't place why. She watched with interest as a scruffy-looking man, probably somewhere around her age was pushed forward. His hands and feet were shackled so he stumbled and fell to his knees.

“Stand up,” Xena ordered. As he struggled to his feet, she studied his unshaven face and looked into his dull, brown eyes and did not recognize him. “Have you been brought before me before, Acacius?”

“No, Lord Xena,” he said, refusing to look at her.

“Then why is your name familiar to me?” She asked the question more to herself but wasn't surprised when Acacius answered.

“I know not, my Lord. This is my first time in Corinth.”

“There are plenty of places we could have met other than Corinth.” She gestured to Chariton. “What's his crime?”

“Selling his daughter's virtue for profit, my liege.”

Xena wasn't sure, at first, why she was bothered with this. Fathers brokered their daughters, usually for a marriage arrangement, all the time and it normally wasn't something that ended up in the Conqueror's court. She wondered what was different about this one – until a recollection of an incident during her search three moons ago popped into her head. She stood and walked down the stairs to look him in the eye.

“Your daughter's name wouldn't happen to be Isadora, would it?”

Acacius visibly swallowed and in a low voice said, “Yes, my Lord.”

Through clenched teeth, Xena said, “You look at me when I'm talking to you, you bastard.” Acacius raised his eyes to meet the Conqueror's. “Did I not issue a direct order that your daughter's virtue was not to be bartered until she was at least sixteen summers old?”

“My Lord, no one will want her at that age -”

In a flash, Xena backhanded him, the power of the blow knocking him to his knees. “I don't want your excuses. Now, stand up!” Slowly, Acacius stood and faced the Conqueror again, his lip swelling and split, blood trickling down his chin. “Now…do I need to ask you again?”

“No, my Lord. I disobeyed your order.”

“Why?”

“I needed the money. And I never thought you'd find out.”

“You were an advisor to Pantheras, were you not?”

“Yes, my Lord.”

“Then tell me, Acacius, why you were in constant need of money? Weren't you, as an advisor, paid rather well?”

“I…I gamble, my Lord.”

“Uh huh,” Xena replied, not at all surprised by the response. “So you decided to pit my threat against that of…someone who kept loaning you more money to get you deeper in debt?”

“Yes, my Lord.”

“Not too bright, are you, Acacius?” she sneered. “No need to answer that. How much did you get for your daughter?”

“Twelve drachmas, my Lord.”

“You sold your daughter's virtue, against my orders, risking death, for what you would pay for a pair of shoes?” Xena tried not to sound as incredulous as she felt.

“Yes, my Lord.”

“And did that cover your debt?”

“No, my Lord.”

“Which means if you had not been caught, you would have continued to sell your daughter for profit?”

“No, my Lord.”

“No? I don't believe you. Why not?” When he didn't answer and looked at the ground, Xena got a dreadful feeling in the pit of her stomach. “Where is Isadora?” At his silence, Xena backhanded him again. This time, he wobbled but didn't lose his balance. “Where is your daughter?”

“She is deceased, my Lord.”

Xena thought back to that angelic, innocent face and felt an odd pain in her heart. Her fury rose instantly to the surface. “How?” When Acacius did not answer, she wrapped her hand around his throat and lifted him up so that he was barely touching the ground with his tiptoes. “I asked you how?”

At least he had the sense to appear ashamed as well as afraid. “The healer said she bled to death…inside.”

“From what?” She instinctively knew what but she wanted him to say it.

“The healer said she was brutalized by the men I sold her to,” Acacius struggled to get the words out.

“The men? Men? You sold her to a group of men?”

“Yes, my Lord.”

Xena thrust him forward so that he fell hard onto his back. “You allowed your daughter to be gang raped to death for twelve drachmas?” She didn't wait for an answer. She climbed back up the stairway and reseated herself on the throne. “Your punishment will fit your crime.” She turned her head to glance at Gabrielle. “Isn't that how you said I should do it?” Before a wide-eyed Gabrielle could respond, Xena snapped her fingers at the guards who helped Acacius to a standing position. “Take him to the quadrangle. Gather the prisoners. The ones who are willing – and there will be plenty – are to be allowed, no… encouraged to have their way with him. Those who don't participate will watch. They are to be informed of his former position with Pantheras and of his crime. I want them to know that no one, not even those who work for me, will be immune to the repercussions of going against me.”

“By your order, Lord Xena,” one of the guards said. “What is to be done with him the prisoners are finished?”

“Burn him. He'll be dead before they're done.”

The two guards yanked Acacius away, through a door that led to the dungeons and out to the connecting four-sided fenced courtyard where the prisoners were fed their meals. He screamed the entire way until he could no longer be heard.

“Who's next?” Xena asked, trying to calm herself. The visual of young Isadora being violently assaulted by a group of grown men made her blood boil.

“Heron is here with the hemlock, my Lord,” Chariton advised her.

Xena looked at Heron and nodded for him to approach Josias. She then glimpsed at Gabrielle, who looked away. Focusing back on Heron, she made a gesture with her hand. The guards held Josias while one of Heron's assistant's forced the prisoner's mouth open as Heron poured the pale green liquid down Josias' throat.

His children watched in horror, although Xena was sure they had no idea what was about to happen, only that her men were physically doing something to their daddy that made him afraid. The little boy broke away from his mother and ran to Heron punching and kicking as hard and as fast as his little limbs would allow. Heron pushed the child away but it didn't deter the tiny defender.

When Acacius began to have seizures, his wife was openly sobbing and his children were screaming. Xena motioned to another of the guards, who approached her immediately.

“Get those kids out of here. Make the wife stay,” she ordered, quietly. When the guard removed the children from the ugly scene, she heard a faint ‘thank you' from Gabrielle. She did not acknowledge the young bard.

After Acacius was pronounced dead by Heron, his body and his wife were removed from the court. When things were back to order, Xena snapped, “Who's next?”

“Kleon of Poteidaia!”

She heard Gabrielle's sharp intake of breath. “Friend of yours?” Xena asked, not looking at her. There was no response as Kleon was walked to the front of the crowd. “What's his crime?”

“Conspiring and leading others against the Realm, my Lord. Also, we believe he was either a treasurer or some kind of financial backer of The Resistance, due to the amount of money we found on him.”

She watched, intrigued, as Kleon glared at Gabrielle. “Why are you angry with her, Kleon? She neither turned you in nor forced you to participate in assisting The Resistance, did she?”

“No, Lord Xena,” he answered. “But she betrayed my best friend,” Kleon stated.

“Really.” She smirked, amused. “How did she do that?”

“She belonged to Perdicus, her betrothed , and she whored herself out to you.”

Xena looked at Chariton. “Is there something in the water? Does everybody have a death wish today?”

“It would seem so, my liege,” the crier replied.

The Conqueror sighed. “Gabrielle.”

“Yes, my Lord,” she responded, quietly.

“You heard what his crimes are. What punishment would you suggest for him?”

While Gabrielle hesitated, Kleon spit on the ground, then glowered at the young bard. “Now you're working for her? You're a disgrace! A traitor! You shame the Resistance! You -” He was silenced as the hilt of a sword jabbed him viciously in the side. He lost his breath and bent over at the waist.

“Your people are not very understanding, are they?” Xena asked Gabrielle, calmly. “They know you were taken against your will and they also know you are now under constant supervision. What is it they expect you to do?”

“Die, my Lord. They would prefer I die for the cause,” Gabrielle said, subdued.

“And how would your death further the cause?” Xena said, finally looking at her.

Gabrielle did not meet the Conqueror's eyes. She looked down at her feet and said, “It wouldn't further it, my Lord, but it would also not betray it.”

“Ah, so they think you're telling me all the plans and secrets of the Resistance, is that it?”

Gabrielle stared down at Kleon. “They should know better.”

Kleon peered back up at Gabrielle. “So what do you talk about when you're in the Conqueror's bed?”

Before Gabrielle could answer, Xena smiled salaciously and said, “We don't talk.”

“You disgust me, Gabrielle!” Kleon bellowed.

“Enough!” Xena said, her hand raised, signaling silence. The soldier who had hit him with the butt of his sword, now held the blade at his throat. “You don't know when to shut up. I think I'll have your tongue removed.”

Kleon's eyes went wide as Gabrielle took a small step closer to the throne. “Please, my Lord…”

“Please what? Why do you care what I do to him? He thinks you should be dead.”

“He is angry, my Lord, but I can assure you that he is not a threat to your Realm.”

Xena smirked. “He isn't now.”

 

“He wasn't before, either, my Lord. He is a follower, not a leader. He's not a fighter. He's smart with numbers, which is why he had charge of the local money only. He's a worker bee, my Lord. Just a part of the team. That's all.”

Xena absorbed Gabrielle's words. “So, answer my question. What punishment would you suggest for him?”

Gabrielle appeared to be in deep thought. Then she said, “Put him in service to you, my Lord.”

“What?” Both Xena and Kleon said at the same time.

“Doing what, exactly?” Xena asked, wondering what the resourceful bard had come up with.

“I am not going to do anything for her!” Kleon protested but shut up quickly when he suddenly had two swords at his throat.

She looked back down at Kleon. “You will either submit to what Gabrielle has decided for you or you will have your tongue cut out. Those are your choices.” She returned her focus to the young bard.

“Kleon is an excellent mathematician, my Lord. He has a mind for deduction and reasoning and he has a thirst for knowledge about the stars and measurement.”

“What makes you think I don't already have enough mathematicians in my Realm? And why would I trust him to be truthful about any of his calculations?”

“I know that you are lacking a numbers teacher for the children who attend the Royal School. I suggest starting him there and moving him up as he proves his worth. His teachings can be monitored to ensure he is tutoring correctly.”

“And, again, why should I expose him to impressionable young minds and expect him to comply?”

“Because he doesn't want his tongue cut out…or worse. And he can't help himself. His love for anything numerical and opening up newcomers to his enthusiasm about it, regardless of who it's for, would be his dream job.”

“So…I'm rewarding him? I fail to see the consequences in this,” Xena said. “Where's the punishment?”

Gabrielle appeared as though she had to stop herself from smiling. “He hates children, my Lord. Even though it is in his nature to do his best, believe me when I say it will be torture for him.”

The Conqueror considered Gabrielle's recommendation. If Kleon was as good as Gabrielle indicated, she needed an accurate topographus among her staff. She decided to take the chance. “Take him back to the fields,” she instructed the guards. “I'll discuss your assignment with Onesimos tomorrow,” Xena said to Kleon. “He is the headmaster of the Royal School. When you are called, you will report to him. Don't betray Gabrielle's faith in you. You are still in danger of losing your tongue and other body parts if in any way you screw this up.”

****

“Kleon!” Perdicus shouted, as the guard stopped at the perimeter and shoved Kleon forward. “What happened? Why are you back? I thought sure you'd be crucified.” He picked up the gardening tool Kleon had left behind and handed it to him.

At first Kleon said nothing and began to furiously rake the ground. Then, as Perdicus fell into a work rhythm beside him, Kleon said, “Gabrielle.”

Perdicus heart stopped. “What about Gabrielle?”

“She's working with the Conqueror.”

“What?” As angry as Perdicus was with his former betrothed and even as hurt and tormented as he was by the nature of Gabrielle's mandatory involvement with Xena, he could never believe that she would join forces with the Conqueror. “What do you mean?”

“They take me into the court and when it's my turn, they pull me up front and there she is, standing right next to the throne. The crier reads my charges and the Conqueror turns to Gabrielle and asks Gabrielle to sentence me.” Kleon dug at the dirt, viciously.

“Maybe she was forced to be there. Was she chained?”

“No. She had no tether or restraints. And she handed me down my sentence.”

“What?” Perdicus stopped raking and turned to face Kleon. “By the Conqueror's order, right?”

“No. On her own.”

Perdicus went back to dragging his iron-toothed implement across the ground. He was shocked. Not Gabrielle. She would not turn on them like this. “What will happen to you?”

Kleon concentrated on grating the ground before he said, in a low tone, “I will be teaching mathematics to the children of the Royal School.”

Perdicus stopped working and looked at Kleon, confused. “Where does your punishment come in?”

“That's it. That's my punishment.”

“But…Kleon, you love numbers and you love children. If that's what Gabrielle came up with for you, why are you angry and why did the Conqueror allow it?”

“She told the Conqueror that I hated children and it would be torture for me and the Conqueror believed her. I meet with the headmaster tomorrow.”

Perdicus was baffled by Kleon's attitude. “That sounds like an incredible opportunity for you. Why are you so pissed at Gabrielle?”

“Because she betrayed us. She's with her.”

Perdicus shook his head. “Just what do you expect her to do?”

“She could kill herself,” Kleon suggested. “That's what we all said we'd do if we were ever forced into the Conqueror's service.”

“So when do you plan to do it?” Perdicus asked.

“What? Do what?” Kleon looked up from his chore.

“Kill yourself? I mean, if you expect Gabrielle to do it, you must follow suit because as of tomorrow, you'll be in the Conqueror's service.” Perdicus saw the realization hit Kleon.

Frustrated, Kleon went back to tilling with even more vigor.

“What's the matter, Kleon? If it's fitting for Gabrielle, why not you?”

“Why are you defending her?” Kleon yelled at him. “She betrayed you. Us.”

“Won't you also be betraying us if you begin to teach at the Royal School?”

“Look, if I don't do this, I will lose my tongue, among other things. I don't have a choice.”

“Exactly.”

****

It had been a long day, more drawn out than usual for court. Xena was mentally exhausted but had enough physical and sexual energy for her nightly tryst with the young bard.

Following a vigorous romp between the sheets, Xena marveling at Gabrielle's bold desires blossoming every day, the Conqueror decided to have a chalice of wine to help relax her brain that still seemed to be working overtime. She brought her wine and a goblet for Gabrielle back to the bed. Xena resettled, leaning her back against the intricately carved headboard. Gabrielle mirrored her actions.

“Why did you ask me to participate in your trials, my Lord?” Gabrielle asked, sipping her wine.

“Gabrielle, you are to be the mother of my children,” Xena reminded her, unnecessarily. “If I'm going to allow you to be part of their lives, I want to make sure the decisions you make will be in their best interest. I understand that we don't see eye-to-eye on much of anything…except possibly in this bed…” She chuckled as Gabrielle blushed and covered her smile by taking a swallow of wine. “But I need to gauge how level-headed you are and what kind of spur-of-the-moment decisions you can make.”

“I would very much appreciate being a part of our children's lives, my Lord,” Gabrielle said quietly.

Xena nodded. “I think I would like that, too, Gabrielle. Of course, it will all depend on you and your attitude with me and about the Realm.” She took a sip of her wine and did a slow once-over of the young bard's naked body. She instantly felt her pulse throb between her legs. She had no qualms about taking Gabrielle once more before sleep but she preferred to wind down; at least until she finished her wine. “Why didn't you ask for Kleon's freedom?”

“Because I knew you would not grant it, my Lord. How could you be sure I wouldn't ask for much lighter sentences?”

“Your sentences were light but they were also beneficial. Plus I know that you would never risk your sister's health or safety by trying to put one over on me.” She was not surprised to see a shadow of guilt flash in Gabrielle's eyes. “Don't worry. I won't penalize you or your sister for telling me that Kleon hated children.”

Gabrielle gaped at her. “How could you know?”

“I told you, I pretty much know everything that goes on, especially within the palace.”

“Why…why did you allow my recommendation to stand, my Lord?” Gabrielle asked, feeling as though she had dodged a sword.

“Because, regardless, I thought it was a fair sentence. Kleon should give back to The Realm. If it turns out that his only contribution is to teach the children a subject he loves – particularly if he is as good as you say – that is of great value to me. I need more up and coming subjects who understand and enjoy maths. Especially if he produces students who are good in stars and measurements.” She studied the young bard's lovely face. “If I thought, for any reason, that you lied to me for something advantageous to The Resistance, I would have called you on it instantly and both Kleon and Lila would have felt my wrath. But you seemed to want a solution that could work for everyone. Who knows? Kleon might even end up liking his job. Maybe, with your help, I can turn the Resistance, one traitor at a time.”

“I will not betray my friends, my Lord,” Gabrielle said, quietly.

“You already have,” Xena told her, placidly. “You're with me, whether by choice or by force, they clearly care not. You would be wise to forget the Resistance and begin to think about your own survival. You have a good head on your shoulders, Gabrielle. I'd like to see it stay there.”

Gabrielle nodded, faintly. “Yes, my Lord.” She took another drink of her wine. “Why didn't you try Perdicus today? Does this mean he'll be moved up to the next court in three fortnights?”

“No. I have plans for your dear Perdicus. We will meet with him privately tomorrow.”

“We, my Lord?”

“Of course. Don't you want to be there?”

“I'm not sure, my Lord,” Gabrielle said, honestly.

“Well, I'm sure. You will again be by my side.” She watched as a shiver moved through the young bard's body and her eyes were instantly riveted to Gabrielle's hardening nipples. She reached over and gently rubbed the pad of her thumb over one of the rigid tips, causing Gabrielle's eyes to close and her breath to catch. Xena then removed the goblet from Gabrielle's hand and placed both chalices on the nightstand. Without a word, she pulled Gabrielle to her and guided the young bard to straddle her lap. It didn't take long for Gabrielle to react to Xena's caresses and kisses.

****

The next morning, Xena invited Gabrielle into the huge, sunken tub with her. She sent Demetria out of her chamber, requesting privacy, and then she taught the young bard what a pleasure a bath could be when it involved two participants.

She was rinsing Gabrielle's hair when there was a pounding on the door. Before Xena could utter permission or denial to enter, the sound of the door hastily opening and boots walking toward them were heard. Darphus rounded the screen with Karpos hot on his heels.

“What is the meaning of this?” Xena barked. She moved a naked Gabrielle behind her. The young bard's body was for her viewing pleasure only.

“Apologies, Lord Xena,” Karpos began but was interrupted by Darphus, who was clearly enjoying the eyeful of the Conqueror being wet and naked from the waist up. Karpos turned his eyes away, less he risk getting them removed.

“This couldn't wait, Xena,” Darphus said, motioning to Karpos to shut up. “News from -”

“This couldn't wait for a simple acknowledgement of your knock?” Xena snapped. “Is the palace or Corinth under siege?”

“No, but -”

Xena's eyes narrowed and her expression was enough to tell Darphus to be silent. “Karpos, get back to your post.” She watched as Karpos nodded and left the room. After hearing the door close, Xena glared at Darphus. “Don't ever do that again. Unless it is a dire emergency, you will wait to be acknowledged.”

Darphus did not look intimidated or impressed by Xena's ire. “First, you never minded before and second, it is a possible, pending crisis which requires your immediate attention.”

Xena felt Gabrielle pressed up against her back, hiding behind her. “First, I mind now and you've never just busted in here on me like this before and second, are you telling me whatever is going on is such a crisis, that I would not have had time to get out of my bath even to don a robe to handle it?”

“I didn't know you were bathing.”

“You didn't wait to find out, either. You will not do that again.”

“I heard you the first time,” he responded, sounding annoyed.

In the blink of an eye, a furious, nude, dripping Xena was out of the tub, with her hand around Darphus' throat, squeezing. She backed him up, around the screen and spoke to him in a low but deadly tone. “Your rising lack of respect is troubling, Darphus. I don't like it. Somewhere you seem to have gotten the impression that you don't have to show me the same courtesy and regard as everyone else, that maybe you've become my equal or, even more outrageous, my superior. If it weren't for me, you'd be picking shit with the chickens of Thrace. I've reached my limit of patience with your insubordination and insolence. You got me?”

Darphus croaked out a ‘yes' between gasps and Xena let him go. He instantly fell to his knees, gulping air, putting his hands around his throat, massaging the area to get life back into it again. Xena never took her eyes off him as she reached for her robe and put it on.

“Now, what's this urgent situation that couldn't wait?”

Darphus' head nodded in the direction of Gabrielle. “What about her?” he rasped.

“She is not your concern,” Xena told him.

He reluctantly nodded and got to his feet. “Codomannus has just conquered the land of the pharaohs and claimed it for the Persian Empire. He's calling himself Darius now.”

Xena absorbed the news with barely a shrug. “He can call himself whatever he wants, as long as it is not conqueror. The capital and surrounding regions are too unstable and the satraps are rebellious, resentful and undependable. Bagoas was a failure from the beginning as a leader. Codomannus is all about the power and the glory, not about ruling or actually maintaining an empire.” She began to pace.

“We can't let the Persians gain any more power or we'll all be slaves.”

Xena glared at him, sharply. “First you disrespect me, then you doubt my ability to keep my sovereignty? You're not making any points here, Darphus.”

“I not trying to make points, Xena, I'm trying to tell you that you're too smug. Your brain is too concerned with your libido lately and not with the stability of the Realm. When is the last time we had a campaign to remind everyone just who is in charge?”

“It's because I run the empire the way I do that we don't constantly need campaigns. I am aware when a show of force is necessary to put people back in their places. For you, it's all about horses thundering across the plains, leaving bodies littering the ground.”

“It used to be like that for you, too,” Darphus argued. “Don't talk like your past isn't stained with innocent blood. You used to laugh at the sheer joy of the battle, demoralize and weaken anyone who even thought about standing in your way, pillaging villages just because you could. You used to glare in disgust at the people lying on the ground you just murdered because they weren't more of a challenge for you. What's happened to you? Your rage and cunning was what made you so beautifully unstoppable and uncontested.”

“That's when I had to prove myself.”

“You think you no longer have to prove yourself? If that were true, Codomannus would have left well enough alone. Your adversaries seem to think you've become weak, more obsessed with a piece of ass than a piece of territory.”

Xena's eyes became slits. “Get out of here, Darphus. Now. While you still have your head.” Her tone of voice permitted no argument. “Call in the council and the Hellenic League and gather the runners for the hegemony.” She followed Darphus to the door and summoned one of her guards. “Advise Cheriton that there will be no judgments today.”

The guard nodded and hurried away to complete his task. Xena also watched Darphus descend the stairway that led from the royal chambers. His expression seemed to be a mixture of vexation and relief. She closed her door and walked back to where Gabrielle was waiting in the bath.

“You are turning into a shriveled plum, Gabrielle. Get out and get dressed,” Xena told her, the sharpness in her tone not directed at the young bard. The Conqueror removed her robe and began to don her military ensemble.

****

Gabrielle put on a robe. “Lord Xena?”

“Yes?” Xena did not look at her while she finished dressing.

“Are we going to war?”

“We? No, we aren't. I don't even know yet if I am.” She turned to glance at Gabrielle. She smirked. “Why? Don't tell me you'd be worried about me…”

Gabrielle hesitated as she had to think about whether or not she was. She couldn't deny that she had become used to Xena being in control of her life. As much as she hated to admit it, the Conqueror was an all-encompassing existence for her now. She couldn't even say for sure if she held the same hatred toward the sovereign as she had originally. Would she miss Xena if she suddenly were no longer there? She would definitely miss the sex, she thought, trying to keep an indecent smile off her face, but what of the woman herself?

“I would miss you, my Lord,” Gabrielle admitted, shyly. She was shocked at herself for saying that out loud.

Xena turned to look at her, clearly trying not to show her surprise. Her expression then became complacent. “You'd miss my presence.”

“Yes, I suppose that's it,” Gabrielle agreed, although she was still unsure. When had her feelings for the Conqueror changed? “Are you concerned about the Persian aggression, my Lord?”

“No. I'm not worried about Codomannus. The Persians are weak. I'm more concerned about who might try to take his place.”

“Like Darphus?” Gabrielle watched a knowing smirk grace Xena's face.

“Come help me with my armor.”

Gabrielle approached the sovereign and picked up the Corinthian bronze breastplate. While she assisted in affixing it to the proper places on Xena's leathers, she said, “I don't trust Darphus, my Lord. I fear he will use any excuse he can to betray you.”

“You are indeed perceptive, Gabrielle. I have the situation under control. I have a surprise for my second-in-command. A young, brilliant soldier named Alexander. I will place him in charge of the campaign against Codommanus. That will give Darphus an entirely different focus and will be his ultimate undoing. Darphus is too arrogant and smug and those qualities will ruin him. He'll defeat himself, trying to defeat Alexander to prove what a bloodthirsty, power hungry leader he really is. He will show his troops that he cares not about their welfare, only his own glory. He will get in Alexander's way and Alexander will annihilate him.” She appraised her reflection in the looking glass as Gabrielle finished and stepped away.

“Aren't you worried that Alexander may do the same to you, especially if you give him all that authority?”

“I'd be a fool to take anyone's loyalty for granted. And I didn't get to be and stay where I am by being a fool.”

“Then why would you trust me with this information, my Lord?”

“Because I believe you hate Darphus much more than you hate me. Plus, you know what would happen to your sister if you disclosed our conversations to anyone.”

Gabrielle nodded. She watched Xena slide her sword into its scabbard, when a niggling thought caused her to speak. “Wait – Alexander of Macedon?”

“Yes. Do you know him?”

“Yes. No, I mean, I've met him but I don't know him.”

“How did you meet him?”

“He and his father, Philip, rode through Poteidaia and stayed nearly a moon about eight winters ago. The season was exceptionally harsh and they decided to stay until the traveling conditions became navigable again. Alexander and Perdicus are the same age and forged a close friendship. Perdicus always admired Alexander and aspired to be like him. Until Perdicus realized that, like Alexander, Perdicus would have to follow in his father's footsteps. Alexander became a soldier and Perdicus became a pacifist farmer.”

“Doesn't Perdicus know that Alexander is a soldier in my Army?”

“No, I don't think he does. He would have mentioned that, I'm sure and would not be as enamored with him.”

“Hmmm.” Xena paused in serious contemplation. “I have to meet with my vanguard. Tell me more about Perdicus when I get back.”

***

A little past a sennight later, after Xena had gathered the most pertinent information from her outlying scouts, she called her battalion commanders to a meeting. The occupants of the Great Hall stood in unison as the Conqueror, in all her regal attire, entered the assembly chamber. She strode to the front of the room and stopped at the head table, where maps and reports were already spread out. “As you were,” she commanded. She instantly began to study the charts and documents as her upper echelon of officers gathered around her.

“I want a missive sent to Alexander in Macedon. He is to start getting the troops there battle ready. Pantheras, you will be sent back to take over for Alexander while he is busy with this campaign.”

Pantheras was stunned. “You're sending me back?”

“Only temporarily. You know the job and there won't be time to train someone else right now. As soon as you arrive, he is to leave and set out for Granicus. I will meet him with a contingent of our cavalry to join with his Macedonian detachment at Sardis.”

“Wait – what? He's going to lead? ” Darphus roared.

Xena glanced up at her second-in-command, annoyed at being interrupted. “You have a problem with that?”

“I damned well have a problem with that! You're going to send a boy, an inexperienced, weak boy to head this campaign?” Darphus was incredulous. The other officers stood deathly still, holding a collective breath in apprehension of Xena's reaction.

Her eyes narrowed as she addressed the general. “This is the second time within a half-moon, that you have questioned not only my judgment but my abilities to lead, as well. I had planned to send you and the Corinthian contingent to march up the Euphrates but now I think I'll send Nicanor or Philotas.”

“To do what?” He asked, still clearly ruffled.

“Set up in Issus and Tyre, where I think Codemmanus' Army will have outposts. That needs to be taken care of and bridges need to be built for our heavier weapons to get across to Gaugamela. By the time Alexander begins moving the troops toward the Euphrates, around the desert, any engineering should be completed.”

“Why would they go around the desert? That will add nearly a fortnight to the march.” Darphus crossed his arms, his tone gloating and condescending.

“Because the temperatures are unbearably hot and there are few sources of getting water between the Mediterranean Sea and the Euphrates River.”

“Bah!” Darphus waved her off, dismissively, with his hand. “You're raising an army of pussies.”

That remark caused the occupants of the Great Hall to murmur in anxious, low tones. They seemed curious to see how the Conqueror would handle such disrespect and open insubordination.

Xena relaxed and rolled the tension out of her neck, releasing a few popping sounds in the process. She looked directly into Darphus' eyes and smiled, menacingly. “Really, Darphus? Pussies? I'll tell you what, oh brave one. You are ordered to take a small group of prisoners – the condemned ones – from Gaza, cross that Syrian desert and meet the joined forces in Babylon. Let's just see you get through that arid wasteland without burning to a crisp, much less have any reserve for actually commanding or fighting a battle.”

Darphus blinked, staggered into silence by Xena's words.

“What's the matter, Darphus? Pussy got your tongue?” Xena's rich voice had a hint of underlying delight to it.

Darphus glared around the room at the other officers who simpered at the self-dug ditch the general had placed himself in. His face colored to red, his expression enraged and the veins in his neck stuck out, threatening explosion. “You can't order me to do that! I'm your strategos! Your second-in-command! You can't treat me like a common soldier, order me around like a servant!”

Xena was unruffled. “I can and I did. You just boasted in front of my entire enomotarch that my army consists of pussies because I won't risk losing them to the elements that would cost me more soldiers than I could afford just to save a few days of traveling. I read that as a challenge from one leader to another. So, go ahead. Be my guest and prove that I'm wrong.”

The general straightened to his full height and took a step toward Xena in a bid to look intimidating. “I am a commander. I will not lead a bunch of untrained prisoners on any mission.”

Xena, now in full conqueror mode, all strength and ferocity, unsheathed her sword and had the tip poking at Darphus' throat before he could take another breath. She spoke quietly but the aura of power that emanated from her was unmistakable. “You will do as I order you to do. I am commanding you to show me up. I'm giving you the chance to demonstrate how much better a sovereign you would make. Here's your chance, Darphus. You're always trying to undermine me and belittle how I control my empire. I'm openly challenging you to do a better job. Crossing the desert was your idea. Do it.” Xena knew that daring her second in front of the hierarchy of military leadership would ensure that he would not back down. There's no way he would lose face now.

Darphus' fury was evident. Mindful of the sword touching his Adam's apple, he spoke in a different tone of voice. “I'll do it. But not with prisoners. I want a battalion of soldiers.”

“No,” Xena said, simply. “You take the condemned or you go alone. Chances are you'll all die out there and I'm not sending soldiers to a certain death.”

“But…you're forcing me to go!”

“No, no. We all heard you, Darphus. By challenging me, you volunteered.” She turned to the first row of officers. “You all heard him, right?” She waited as they either all nodded or mumbled an affirmative. Xena moved her sword away from his throat and slid it back in its scabbard. “You need to study as many Assyrian charts as you can get your hands on, then bring me a map of the route you will take. Together we will calculate how many less days it will take you to get to Babylon and since you are sure you will make it before my army, I will have someone there to meet you on that date so that I can keep you honest. Now,” she tapped her chin with her index finger in thought, “what shall we wager?”

“Wager? My life isn't enough?”

“According to you, only a pussy wouldn't be able to do it. If you believe what you say, I think we should make it interesting. How about, if you win, I will change positions with you and you can be conqueror and I will be a general.”

“How about if I win, I become conqueror and you become my whore.” He leered at her and his smile was contemptuous.

Xena looked as though she were blatantly weighing her options. Finally she said, “Sure. Why not?”

He appeared shocked that she agreed so easily. Then he smirked. “And…what if you win?”

“You die.”

*****

To Be Continued

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page