Chapter Five

                                   The Amazons and Xena

For several moments the Amazon just looked them over as if trying to make a decision. Then she said, “How do we know you weren’t sent here by the Centaurs? For all we know that dead woman could be carrying some evil spirit inside her, ready to sicken us, and kill us all.”

“No, you’re wrong!” Gabrielle exclaimed. “We’ve seen Centaur droppings, but we were not sent by them. I only ask that your shamaness save Xena’s life. And ... I don’t think Xena’s spirit, or body, will last much longer.”

Before the Amazon could answer, another one ran up to her and whispered in her ear. But her whisper wasn’t so quiet, and Gabrielle was able to hear something about a queen. But when she realized Gabrielle had heard part of the whisper, the Amazon leader backhanded the messenger, bloodying her mouth and almost knocking her off her feet.

Then in an angry voice she said aloud, “We are to bring the strangers, this man
included, to the queen.”

“Well it’s about....” Autolycus started to say, then was knocked unconscious from behind.

“Why did you do that?” Gabrielle demanded to know.

“He spoke without permission,” was the reply.

Suddenly from behind her another Amazon walked into view, she was carrying the makeshift spear Gabrielle had formed out of the broken knife blade and the piece of tent pole.

“This is the only weapon I found.”

Realizing their saddlebags and Xena’s litter had been searched, Gabrielle was glad she had hidden the Chakram underneath Xena’s back.

“Do you really expect this to protect you?”

“We are not looking for trouble, just help from your shamaness.”

“This way,” the Amazon said, then started walking in the direction Gabrielle and Autolycus had been heading.

Gabrielle was allowed to lead her horse, with her hands tied in front of her, but Autolycus’ hands and feet were bound, and a rope around his feet was tied to the saddle; he was being dragged to the camp. Gabrielle started to protest, but didn’t want to anger the Amazon leader any more that she already was.

As they walked, Gabrielle slowly made her way to the leader. “You know my name, but I don’t think I caught yours.”

They walked a dozen more steps before she answered. “My name is Ephiny, if it’s any of your business.”

“That’s a nice name. I’ve never heard it before, but I like it,” Gabrielle said, trying to get on her good side. “But, umm, I was just wondering, when we might get to see the shamaness? I wasn’t lying about Xena not having much time.”

“You will see her only if the queen wishes it.”

“I see. And your queen, what is her name?”

“She is Queen Velasca. And she is not one to be lied to. She will know if you speak the truth.”

“Then I have nothing to worry about,” Gabrielle proclaimed confidently.

“We'll see,” Ephiny said coldly, then strode on ahead, leaving Gabrielle to worry about Xena, and Autolycus.

As they entered the camp it was as if they were part of a parade. Both sides of the path were lined with Amazons, some curious about Xena, but most seemed to want to get a look at the unconscious Autolycus. Eventually they came to large open area with three huts on three sides of it. The one in the middle, the largest by far, had a woman just exiting the doorway. She was wearing much as the others were, but there was something regal about her. Gabrielle correctly guessed she was the queen, and releasing the reins of her horse, she went to one knee, hoping the gesture would show the proper respect.

“You may rise.”

When Gabrielle stood up, Ephiny was next to Velasca and she said, “These are the ones.
The have to be allied with the Centaurs. There is no other way they could have crossed the guarded forest into our territory without the nasty creatures finding, and killing, them.”

“Is this true?” Velasca asked Gabrielle.

“I don’t want to call anyone a liar, but we were guided by Xena’s voice in Autolycus’ head where to go. I thought we were just lost and going in circles. But we saw no Centaurs, only their droppings.”

Looking at the bound and unconscious Autolycus, Velasca said to Ephiny, “Was that necessary?”

“Of course it was. He is a man, AND he spoke to me without permission.”

“Untie him, and check his wounds,” Velasca said to no one in particular.

Immediately several women went to him, united him, turned him over onto his belly and began to examine the cuts, scrapes and bruises all along the back of his legs and head and his back.

“His wounds are not life threatening,” one of them said.

“Good,” Ephiny said. “We wouldn’t want him to die before his execution.”

“There will be no execution,” Velasca said. “Bring the dead woman here.”

Two Amazons carried the litter with Xena’s emaciated body on it, and put it on the ground. Velasca bent slightly to get a better look at it, then looked at Gabrielle.

“You really think this body will come back to life if Xena’s spirit is put back into it?”

“Yes, I do,” she answered. “Xena told us your shamaness could do it, and she had to know how long it would take us to get here. So yes, I have to believe that.”

“Alti is sleeping now. She is very old and holding back the Centaurs is very draining.”

“Holding them back? I don’t understand. Now, I know that you and they were at war some years ago, but I didn’t see any signs of fighting.”

“We are still at war with them.” Velasca paused, then looked at Ephiny and said, “You brought several of your warriors with these people. Have you sent replacements to the perimeter?”

“I will do it now,” Ephiny said with anger, and disrespect, in her voice. She then turned without acknowledging Velasca and began yelling orders to any within earshot.

“So where was I? Oh yes. The Centaurs and we Amazons battled off and on for many years. Eventually they began to take the advantage, and we were driven back and back until we were trapped in this forest; surrounded on all sides. But it just so happened that Alti was living here. She was old even then. She claims to have lived more than twice the life span of ordinary mortals. But using magic none of us understand, she has kept the Centaurs from burning us out, and destroying the forest in the process.”

“Why are you at war, if you don’t mind me asking?”

“Land, resources. We Amazons cherish and respect the land and all its inhabitants – deer, rabbits, squirrels – all living things, the trees included. But Centaurs cannot travel through the thick forests, they prefer the open plains, as horses do. But they destroy the grasslands, then move on to rape and pillage and burn down more forestland.”

“And Alti keeps them at bay.”

Velasca nodded. “She does, somehow. They test the boundary often, but between our archers hiding in the upper branches and Alti’s magic, they can only enter so far before turning back.”

“Well, this is very interesting, but can you wake her up? I keep feeling that the longer we wait, the less chance Xena will have of coming back to me; to us.”

“Marsa, check to see if Alti is awake, or if she is feeling strong enough to join us.”

Marsa nodded then entered the hut to the left of Velasca’s.

While they were waiting, Gabrielle said, making conversation, “I get the feeling that Ephiny doesn’t think you are – that you should be queen. “

“You are correct. Ephiny is more of a warrior that I am. I would prefer to settle things peacefully, if possible. Ephiny believes in killing them all, then letting our patron and protector, the goddess Artemis, sort them out. But she diligently trains our tribe, keeping their fighting skills at their peak.”

Velasca sighed. “One day, after Alti has passed over, she will challenge me. She will kill me and she will be queen. And the war with the Centaurs will begin again. And many will die.”

Just then Marsa left the hut, carrying a very old, and very shrunken, and very feeble Alti in her arms. She laid her down on a low bed two more women had brought from the hut.

And in a low and guttural voice, almost a whisper, Alti said, “Let me see the body. Let me see Xena.”

 

                                       Chapter Six

                                      Alti and Xena

“I have to see her,” Alti growled, “bring her close to me.”

Several Amazons picked up the litter and moved it next to the aged shamaness. She reached out with a shaking hand and barely touched Xena’s face.

“Her hand! I need to hold her hand.”

With razor-sharp knives they cut away the vine ropes holding Xena down.

“Remove her rags.”

The rotted rags fell away, revealing a very withered Xena – less like a body, more like skin over bones. Having run out of the oil and salve she had been rubbing over Xena’s body several days ago, the shock of seeing her so wasted and cadaverous brought Gabrielle to tears as she gasped at the sight of her. A weaker woman would have fainted seeing her lover so  dead looking.

“The man, I need his hand. Put him close.”

The same women carried Autolycus next to Alti and put his hand in hers. Alti closed her eyes and began a low chant, barely heard, in the language of sorcery no one else understood.

“And if Alti dies in this attempt, I have your permission to attack before the Centaurs realize she no longer protects us?” Ephiny had returned.

A reluctant Velasca replied, “Have your scouts find their camps. Prepare your forces. If Alti dies you may attack at dawn.”

Ephiny turned to go, but Velasca grabbed her arm. “But do NOT launch the attack until I give the order. Do you understand?”

When Ephiny hesitated Velasca repeated herself in a voice not heard in a long while.
“I said, do you understand me?”

Ephiny nodded, said she did, then left to organize the Amazon warriors.

All the while Gabrielle’s eyes were riveted on Xena’s withered body, hoping against hope, yet feeling the fear rising she would never live again. Then she noticed that all three of them were beginning to twitch and shudder; first one, then the other, then in pairs and at times all three of them. Then the spasms stopped in all of them.

And without warning, Xena mouth opened slightly and inhaled roughly. Then exhaled, and was still again. Several moments later she breathed in again, and out, then back in and out again, until her breath was regular. Next, the muscles and fat under her skin began to grow, filling out as if a water skin was being inflated.

Gabrielle’s hands went to her mouth as tears of joy poured from her eyes, blurring her sight. Without realizing it, she repeatedly wiped them away, not wanting to miss anything. Then Xena moved, moaned softly, and her eyes opened. At this point Gabrielle rushed to her, fell to her knees and grasped her other hand; she felt Xena’s fingers close over hers.

There was a low groan from Autolycus but no one noticed. Alti seemed as if she were asleep. But all eyes were on Xena. Slowly she began to move, as if trying to get her muscles and joints to work again.

“Help me sit up,” she croaked, and Gabrielle was more than happy to. When she was sitting up, Xena looked around at everyone. A slight frown covered her face when she saw Alti.

“She lives?” she asked, her voice stronger now.

“She does,” one of Alti’s attendants said. “I think she is sleeping.”

Xena tried to stand up and Gabrielle was there to help. Xena then put her arms over her head, stretching; then twisted her upper body left and right, rotated her head.

“This is much better,” she said, her voice almost back to normal.

“Are you all right?” Gabrielle finally was able to ask. “Do you need anything?”

“I need water. This body needs more than magic to keep it from wasting away again.”

“Water!” Velasca exclaimed. Immediately several water skins were brought to Xena, who promptly drank two of them empty.

During this time, Velasca had Alti taken back to her hut out of the hot sun, with instructions that when she awoke to inform her.

“I’m – starving,” Xena said. “Anything to eat? Now?”

Velasca had one of the women to fetch the remains of the morning meal.

Xena put the back of her wrist to her nose, sniffing. “Bergamot oil ... borax ... and lard? You couldn’t have used olive oil?”

“After buying the oil and borax we were out of money. I used what I had on hand.”

“And you couldn’t have stolen some oil?”

“We were in a hurry.”

“I suppose.”

Then Xena stretched again, savoring her newly revitalized and rejuvenated body.

“Oh yes, this is SO much better.”

“Oh – my head!” Autolycus woke up.

“Find clothes for Xena. He must not see her naked!” Velasca ordered. “Look in my hut.”

“You will look away until I tell you,” she said to Autolycus.

“Sure,” he said, spinning on his butt to face the direction away from Xena. “Any chance I can get something to drink? A little ale would be nice.”

“We Amazons do not pollute our bodies with alcohol. But you may have water,” Ephiny replied, then nodded to have a water skin given to him.

An Amazon returned with a knee-length deer-hide dress and handed it to Xena, who slipped it over her head.

“There is something missing,” she said. “Oh, I know what it is.”

And she bent down and uncovered her Chakram from the litter. And holding it up for all to see, she said, “Can’t be without this.”

Velasca looked sharply at Gabrielle. “You had this hidden? Do you know you risked death for smuggling a weapon into my camp?”

“Oh, leave her alone,” Xena said. “You would have done the same thing. And what do you think Ephiny would have done if she had found it? Told you she had it? Turned it over to you?”

“I only hid it because it IS such a dangerous weapon,” Gabrielle explained. “It is Xena’s, given to her by the war god Ares.”

Xena looked at Gabrielle with surprise. “How did you know that?”

Gabrielle just shrugged her shoulders, remembering that Ephiny had told her that Velasca would know if she was lying; which she might have been. Xena already had it when they first met, but she never said where or how she got it. But since Xena didn’t call her on it, maybe it WAS true. Just then a bowl of bowl of warmed up stew was brought to Xena, who gobbled it down and asked for more.

“So, how is Alti? Still living?” Xena asked. “She looked to be in pretty bad shape.”

“Check on her,” Velasca said, and someone went to see.

“Can I get up now?” Autolycus asked. “And how about a bowl of that stew?”

Velasca nodded to another Amazon, who left to get the food, then she said, “You may rise.”

Autolycus got to his feet, bowed to Velasca, then turned to Xena.

“And how are you feeling? You certainly look a lot better than you did just a short time ago.”

“Haven’t felt this good in years. In fact, I feel so good, I think I’d like to take a ride.”

And before anyone could speak, or stop her, Xena had leapt onto Autolycus’ horse and was riding out of camp at a full gallop, slapping the horse’s flanks with the flat side of the Chakram.

“Amazons! Spears!” Velasca shouted out. But it was too late. Xena was already out of throwing range.

“Guard them!” she said, and Gabrielle and Autolycus were facing a dozen spears pointed at them.

“Signal the others to stop her!” Velasca ordered.

Then one of the Amazons cupped her hands to form a megaphone, and began to howl; to Gabrielle it could have been a wolf. The Amazon sounded a series of short howls, then stopped. When she heard an answering call, then two of them, then three, she went on, sounding with long and short howls, using some kind of code to inform those Amazons guarding the perimeter to stop Xena at any cost.

“I trusted you!” Velasca said to Gabrielle. “And you and Xena betrayed me. Where is she going? Back to the Centaurs to report to them?”

“I don’t know where she’s going! I’m as surprised at this as you are. Believe me, I have no idea what’s going on. Maybe – maybe her mind was addled by being put back into a dead body, or from sharing Autolycus’ mind.”

Just then the Amazon who went to check on Alti returned.

“Alti is awake, but there is something wrong with her.”

“Wrong? What do you mean?” Velasca said.

“She --, well she....”

“She WHAT? Spit it out!”

“She keeps saying that she’s ... that she’s Xena!”

 

                                      Chapter Seven

                                       Xena in Alti

“Gabrielle,” a very hoarse voice was heard.

Gabrielle looked to see Alti, or Xena, barely hanging onto the doorframe of her hut. Gabrielle pushed aside the spears and ran to her, catching her just before she fell. Autolycus started to help her, but with spears still pointed at him he thought better of it. Gabrielle easily picked her up and carried her back to her bed, thinking she felt no heavier than a half grown child. As she put her down, Velasca and two more Amazons entered the hut.

“Gabrielle,” Xena whispered in a raspy voice, “it’s me.”

“I know,” Gabrielle answered. “How did this happen?”

“That’s what I’d like to know,” Velasca said sharply.

Xena coughed and Gabrielle yelled for water for her. After several sips, Xena was able to continue.

“I can’t believe … after all these years … it’s been so long.”

“What’s been so long?” Gabrielle asked. “Did you know Alti?”

Xena nodded, took a couple of gravelly breaths, then said, “Years ago, after my army had suffered several decisive defeats, Alti found me somehow, and offered to train me in the ways of her dark magic, claiming we could make my army invincible. She said we could be the Slayer of Kingdoms. And for a quarter of a year I learned all that I could from her. And she was right, we began winning battle after battle....”

Xena began to cough again, and after more water and deep breaths she continued.

“But just when it seemed like we were about to conquer all of southern Greece, Ares appeared to me one night. He said he liked what he saw in me. And he gave me a choice – I could continue to win small battles with Alti, or conquer the world with him. The choice was obvious – I chose to lead Ares’ army. And when I told Alti, she cursed me, threatened me, and told me one day she would have her revenge. I guess this is it.”

“Weren’t you worried?”

“With Ares around, not at all. Her power was nothing compared to his. But just now, when our minds were joined – there are things I never knew, things I discovered, and what she intends to do now she has my body.”

A third round of coughing interrupted her.

“This body is dying,” Xena said. “Without magic to keep it alive, it won’t last long, a month or less, maybe.”

“What is she going to do in your body?” Velasca asked. “Are we Amazons in any danger?”

Xena shook her head, then continued. “Her anger isn’t directed at the Amazons. She – the flashes I got – I didn’t know....”

“Didn’t know what?” Gabrielle asked.

“Her anger wasn’t because I left, it was because I left with Ares. Alti expected us to become lovers. When I joined Ares and didn’t invite her come with us, she felt spurned, rejected. She swore vengeance because she felt the betrayal of her affections for me, not because I no longer needed her magic.”

“She swore vengeance because she loved you?”

Xena nodded. “There is more. She tried to keep it hidden from me, but I felt, sensed it. Using her dark magic she seemed to know where I was, what I was doing, and when Odin threw his spear into me and killed me, and Ares took my body and Gabrielle to Amphipolis, she was able to put my spirit into Autolycus, knowing she would need a master thief to steal my body to bring it to her.”

“I don’t understand,” Gabrielle said. “If she could transport Autolycus from Athens to Amphipolis, why not just do the same with your body, and bring it here, where she was?”

“Ares was too close; he would know.”

“ARES!” Gabrielle exclaimed. “Of course! All we have to do is call for him. He can get Alti back here and put you back into your body.”

Xena shook her head, producing more coughing.

“That’s not all. There is another force at work, one with more power than even Ares has. The one who moved Autolycus.”

“Not Dahak!” Gabrielle said fearfully.

“No, not him. But another.”

“Zeus? But that wouldn’t make any sense. Who else would have more power than Ares?”

“Hera,” Velasca said. “Only the parents of Ares would be stronger.”

“Of course,” Gabrielle said, now understanding. “And it would not surprise me if she wanted Alti, in your body, with your Chakram, to kill Hercules. He knows Xena; he saw her die. And he wouldn’t suspect her at all.”

Xena nodded.

“Then we have to tell Ares, so he can tell Hercules, or Zeus, anyway. We have to call for him.”

“No,” Xena insisted. “You cannot call Ares. He has done more for us than we ever expected. There has to be a limit. I don’t want either of us to be in his debt any more than necessary.”

“You can really do that? Call for Ares and he will come?” Velasca was astounded. “All this time you were talking about him asking Xena to lead his army I just thought you were – exaggerating.”

“It’s no exaggeration,” Gabrielle assured her. “The thing is, that he changed. He became – accommodating, and not so hostile – it’s a long story but I’m sure he would not want Hercules dead. I would hope he wouldn’t.”

“All these years we have worshipped and sacrificed to Artemis,” Velasca said sadly,
“yet not once has she appeared to us. Now I’m not even sure if the signs and portents we thought were from her were real.”

“Well, you never know,” Gabrielle replied, trying to console her. “Maybe she is just waiting for the right time.”

At that moment Ephiny entered the hut with bad news.

“Xena is gone. Somehow a fog developed in the forest just below the branches where our archers were waiting. A fog so thick the ground could not be seen. They heard the horse as it ran past but the arrows hit nothing.”

“It wasn’t Xena,” Velasca told her. “It was Alti in Xena’s body. From what I understand, she is on a mission from Hera to find and to kill Hercules.”

“But what about our protection from the Centaurs?”

“It is up to us from now on. But you have trained our sisters to the best of their abilities; this I have seen. If the fog has lifted, you may attack at dawn.”

Ephiny smiled. A smile Gabrielle didn’t like.

“We will wipe the horrid creatures from the face of this earth,” Ephiny said with confidence, then left the hut to lead her warriors.

Velasca looked down at the withered body that held Xena’s spirit. And shaking her head in despair, she said sadly, “And so, the war begins anew.”

 

Continued

 Bard's Page

Back to the Academy