Disclaimers: This is an original fiction. Any similarities to real people is only a coincidence. The story is going to be in two parts, I'll try to follow up as soon as possible.

Warning: This is a love relationship story between two women. If it bothers, I don't know why you keep reading. Just find something else to do.

Feedback: sanchygabby@gmail.com

Dee's Crystal

by

Gabby Sanchy


Part One

 

"I still don't understand why you decided not to be by roommate this year. I thought you wanted us to spend more time together" I was talking to my best friend whose attention was caught by something else that I couldn't fathom. "Rachel, I'm talking to you and I'm standing right here".

"I'm sorry Dee, just thought I saw someone. The girl I told you that I met in my His308 class last year" she said, her attention fully back on me now. "And moreover, I heard you. Just didn't want to reply. I switched dorms so I can know what it will feel like living with a total stranger. This is our last year here and I want to make it memorable" she smiled.

I've been friends with Rach for as long as I can remember and I think I will never fully understand her. She was always the one bringing up crazy ideas for us to try throughout middle school and high school and that was one of the major reasons I loved her. I didn't think the switching dorm thing was dumb, I just like our familiarism. "Okay then, but don't come crawling back when you get bored of the new stranger that you'll be rooming with. I don't take sloppy seconds" she threw a piece of fry at me and ran away and I couldn't help laughing. Guess it was time for me to go up to my room and meet my new roommate. I walked back to my dorm with the small bag and my backpack that I brought back from the break, I hate too much load by the way, and I took the stairs two at a time and in no time I was standing in front of my room waiting to see who I would be rooming with. The door was slightly opened and I opened it wider to push my stuffs in with a bit of trepidation - not that I hated meeting new people, I just like knowing what to expect. The next thing that came out of my mouth were words I was sure would stick with me for a long time to come. "Holy crap, this is going to be torture ".

"Umm, I don't think so but if you do, no need to worry I'll try to stay out of your way as much as I can. It's my last year here and I need it to be a smooth sailing. Can we have that?" she asked and I could do nothing else but nod. She probably thought I was racist and I had no idea I had spoken loudly for her to hear and I could not even summon the courage to tell her I wasn't. She was the most beautiful girl I had ever set my eyes on and believe me it was difficult for me to take my eyes off her. Her hair was brown and curly and her eyes were the most soulful brown I had ever seen and at that moment, I knew I was going to be hiding a major crush from my roommate. I turned to her to correct her but the only thing that greeted me was the sound of the closing door as she passed me to leave the room. There was only one person I could talk to now and I doubted that her phone would be on her. Rachel had a problem of keeping her phone close to her whenever she was busy but I tried her anyway and was surprised when she picked up.

"Rach, I've messed up. I met my new roommate and it didn't go so well, she probably thinks I'm racist and I didn't even try to correct her".

"What did you do, Dee? I've not been your roomie for less than a day and you've gone and done something stupid. Meet me at Ella's in one hour, let's talk". Classic Rach, she dropped the call before I could even reply. I hurried and unpacked my things and changed into something simpler and got ready to go out but before I could, my roommate rushed back in and like the clumsy idiot that I was I didn't even try to apologize, I just stood there and starred at her.

"I'm sure I've not done anything in less than the one hour I was gone. Can you maybe move and stop starring at me like that?" she glared at me.

"Look..... "

"Crystal and you don't have to say anything. You don't like me and I don't like you too so don't make a big deal out of it. It's just for a year and I can't switch rooms, every where is packed".

"No, I just wanted to apologize for my reaction earlier. It's not what you think but I'll try to stay out of your way as much as possible". I said to her with her earlier comment of her not liking me ringing in my ear. "By the way my name is...."

"Dee, I know. It is written on the wall right there". She pointed behind me. "Nobody can miss that".

"Yeah and by the way, I sleep on the top bunk. You can take the down part I don't mind". She nodded and I left the room to go meet with Rach and I think that was the longest conversation I had with her up until the last week after our finals.

Our last school year had been hectic but I was slightly sad that we were leaving. Rachel was planning to travel around the world considering she studied history and international studies. It had always been her dreams and she had the funds for being that we came from a wealthy family- not that she showed it off nor did I. Guess it was another reason why I loved her too. I didn't have any plans yet but I knew what I wanted to do with my life, I was going to work for my dad and do my writing part time that was for sure. I was pondering all this when I walked into the room and saw Crystal opening a present. My heart caught like it always did whenever I saw her and by now I knew that I was in love with her but me being me decided to do nothing about it. Our relationship was cordial at best if I could call it that. She was kind, not to me but from what I had seen from others and she was going to med school from the forms I saw on her bed when we came back from our Christmas break. I cleared my throat so she would know I was standing at the door, I didn't want to look like a voyeur even though it was our room.

"Hey, I didn't hear you come in". She looked up and I saw a sparkle of tears in her eyes and I rushed to her side. I didn't know if I should touch her but I did any way. I placed my hand on her shoulder.

"Are you okay?"

She looked at me and laughed and that was the first time she laughed in my presence all year and her laugh was beautiful. I felt a shiver run through me and I couldn't help but smile at that. I decided then that I would take Rachel's idea and ask her out since we all knew that she was gay.

"Yeah, I am.Just being emotional about my early birthday present. I haven't seen my mom in four years and she's finally coming back". She looked at me and stopped smiling and I guessed that the moment had ended. I removed my hand from her shoulder and stood awkwardly. "It's ok Dee, you can sit on my bed. I don't think we can get in much trouble for just that. I'm not contagious".

I looked at her and I could see the mischievous glint in her eyes. I was in cloud nine and nothing could bring me down. I was going to ask her out on her birthday which was the day before we all left, I'm a chicken, I know but if she said no at least I wouldn't be around much for the humiliation.

It was finally the D-day and Rach had gone all out to help me with my big proposal. She lit candles and actually dropped roses around the room. Told you that she was quite spontaneous and I wanted to go big. It was almost dark and I was nervous waiting for Crystal to come in. We had talked and laughed and I got to know more about her in two days than in a year. I guess she thought that since we were leaving, there was no harm in it. I heard footsteps and I knew she was the one so I went to stand beside her bed immediately she came in.

"Oh..... Hot date?" She looked at me and winked and I laughed nervously. "Don't worry, I'll get out of your hair. I also have an important date that I can't miss unless I want to live alone when I go off to med school. Let me just get dressed, it won't take time". And with that she rushed into the bathroom and closed the door and my heart broke.

I was a fool, I didn't even bother to find out if she was dating anyone before planning my big proposal. She came out, waved at me and left and I climbed up to my bed and cried. I knew that tomorrow was coming and with that our final goodbyes and I couldn't wait. Maybe it was all for the best.

To Be Continued

Return to the Academy