Disclaimer: I initially said that this novel was going to be in two parts but I've decided to make it three, sorry. And I'm sorry it took so long to update.

Feedback: sanchygabby@gmail.com

Dee's Crystal

by

Gabby Sanchy


Go to Part One

PART TWO

"If you are not the damn doctor then why are you dressed as one? My daughter is hurt and she needs a doctor, please". I was still yelling when a figure caught my eyes. Maybe I was hallucinating since today had been a very difficult day. Difficult didn't even begin to cover it, my laptop broke last minute before a meeting, I had to fire another assistant because of her incompetence and I remembered last minute that my daughter was having a friend over for a sleepover. Top that with the sound of your daughter falling off her tree house that she was dared to enter at 7pm and the day was not over yet. I turned around to glance at the figure and I was shocked to see that it was Crystal . "Unbelievable" I whispered.

"I'm sorry ma'am, it's been a slow day and Dr Parker thought it would be.... "

"Hi, I'm sorry. It was a joke and we were about to close up anyway". Crystal said and I stood there shell shocked without saying anything. "Let me take a look at your daughter and see how serious the fall was".

"How did you know that it was a fall?" I asked.

"You would be surprised to know the amount of kids that have been brought in here because of a fall and hers is obvious cause she's holding onto her arm and she has scratches on her face". She smiled and I think right there, the crush that had been buried for so long reared its head.

"I guess so". I replied but she was already talking to my daughter.

"So, you had a fall...... "

"My name is Andrea but I go by Andi and yeah, I fell from my tree house. Sandy dared me to jump and I couldn't refuse cause I didn't want her to call me a chicken. I'm sorry momma, I won't try it again. It was stupid anyway". It was amazing how kids could change their train of thoughts in seconds, I wish I could do that.

"No worries baby, as long as you've learned your lessons but that doesn't mean that you're not grounded, young lady". I turned to Crystal and I couldn't fathom if she could still remember me. I didn't think ten years was such a long time bu she wasn't the one with the crush, I was. She said something to the nurse and I remembered that I didn't get to ask her why they exchanged uniforms to begin with. She took Andi to examine her and I followed closely behind her. I stood as she carried out the exams while I watched how she communicated with my daughter. I couldn't remember all they said but Andi was in less pain and she was actually talking back given that she was a quiet kid.

"Looks like it's not that bad, it's just sprained. I'll just put on a bandage, some ointment and I'll put a sling on it that she can wear for just a few days and I'll prescribe some painkillers for her and then you'll be good to go."

I breathed a sigh of relief. "Thank you doctor, and I'm sorry for being hysterical when I came in earlier. I still need to apologize to the nurse, she got the worse of it". I laughed nervously.

"No need to apologize. I understand why you were upset, I would have been too. You're a mother and it's expected. Don't worry about the nurse, I'll extend your apologies tomorrow. I sent her home early cause of her kids." She brought Andi down from the table after putting on the bandages and wrote something on a paper for me. "This is the medication that she needs." And she turned to Andi "Hey big girl, you've got to take it easy for a while and no more doing dangerous dares okay? And I like that you've got the same name as me". She turned and winked at me and my heart fluttered. Maybe, she did remember me or maybe my mind was messing with me. "And this one is on the house, no arguments, please". And I was surprised that I didn't argue.

"Are you closing up?" I asked. "We can wait for you to close up and walk with you to the parking lot, not that you can't go by yourself, it's just that..... "

"Hey, it's not a problem. I just need to change and get my back, then we can go". She laughed and I knew she caught unto my blabbings.

We left after she changed and got her bag five minutes later and we were off to the parking lot. She talked with Andi while I listened and interjected where necessary or asked. We got to the parking lot in no time and Andi got into the car while I turned to thank Crystal and I was shocked when I found myself wrapped in a warm hug. "It's nice to see you again Dee . I couldn't believe it was you when I saw you in my clinic. May be we can get together for a drink sometime and catch up".

With that, my heart soared. She really did remember me, my mind was not playing tricks on me. "Yeah, we can do that Crystal " I answered when I realized that she was waiting for an answer. She nodded, waved to Andi, hugged me again and walked towards her car which she pointed out to us earlier. I remembered that I didn't get her number and was about to shout her name when she turned and signaled for the paper she gave me earlier. "Call me". May be, today didn't turn out to be as bad as I made it out to be. I entered my car and looked at Andi fast asleep at the back of the car. Guess she was more tired than I thought. I started the car and headed towards home. It was 9:30pm and I was feeling rejuvenated. I couldn't wait for tomorrow.

To Be Continued

Return to the Academy