IN A FAR CORNER OF THE RAINFOREST (Book 3)

By

Gabriela Viseur

gabyviseur@yahoo.com.ar

 


The pilot guided the plane while Efigênia and Romualdo surveyed the green world below them.

She asked, worriedly, "So, this is the place I indicated to you?

"Yes, Dona Efigênia, we´re flying right over the exact point"

Romualdo said, "This is strange. There is nothing here."

The landowner, "Yes, only one hut, not a village."

Romualdo tried to find an explanation, "But why?"

She sighed, "Wish I knew! Maybe they are camping here to explore, or maybe they came for a season to hunt..."

"Could be..."

"So, should I continue flying over this area?"

She shook her head, "No, it´s not worth insisting. Let us go back to the fazenda."

"Ok, Senhora."

Romualdo commented, "Now we are stuck, aren´t we? What can we do?"

Efigênia sighed, "Keep waiting... what else? If this is their temporary camp, they will have to move, and we will be ready to follow them."

Meanwhile, inside the hut, a scared Pumiwi was crying while in his mother´s arms. Boharati tried to calm him down, "Oh, no , Pumiwi! Do not be afraid! That huge noisy bird is not going to harm us!"

Mboare stroked his son´s hair, speaking softly, "Yes, listen to Mom! We saw one of those birds flying over the village, remember? And nothing happened. It just went away."

Boharati added, "Just think of it, how can such a noisy bird catch a prey without alarming it first."

Pumiwi asked, still in tears, "And then, what does it eat?"

Mboare scratched his head and exchanged a glance with his wife. At last she answered, "Err... we do not know. But I think it must eat fruits... like the parrots."

"Really, Mom?"

"Parrots are noisy, are they not? And they eat fruit, yes?"

The child nodded, "Oh, yes!"

"Well, a noisy bird like that should also eat fruit, huh?"

Pumiwi reflected, "Yes, that is right."

Mboare asked him, "You see? There is no danger."

"Yes, Dad! If that bird comes again, I promise you I will not be afraid.”

* * * * *

When they returned to the village, Iviruti went to her hut. She began preparing her fishing equipment, but after a few moments she stopped when her acute senses perceived the presence of someone outside.

She called,"Mahintere? It is all right. You may come in."

The surprised warrior entered the hut, "How did you know it was me?"

The chieftain answered, almost out of patience, "Oh, I just guessed! I noticed you looking at us a moment ago when Akiko and I got back, and who else would go around watching my home?"

"Yes, of course I saw you two. And let me tell you, walking hand in hand with her is not appropriate behavior of a leader."

Iviruti shrugged, "Why? We are free, and I have the right to choose what I do."

Mahintere burst out almost frantically, "But you are the clan leader, you have responsibility for the tribe! If that stranger takes you in, it could be the ruin of us all!"

"The Spirits said she is not dangerous." Iviruti calmly reminded her. "She wants to help us."

"Oh, really? How do you know she is not going to bring more of her people and destroy the forest?"

"Oh, you really fear that? She´s been here for quite a long time and nobody came, so your suspicions are only your idea."

"But…"

Iviruti interrupted her sharply "We already talked about this, and there is nothing new to discuss. Your real problem is that Akiko and I get on well, and you are jealous."

"Iviruti, listen, what I..."

"Do you not understand? This conversation is over, so please, leave my hut."

Mahintere froze, nonplussed by the leader´s reaction and then murmured, "Oh.. all right."

As she turned round to leave, Iviruti added, "And by the way, stop spying on me."

* * * * *

Some days later it was raining heavily over the forest. Boharati was in their hut, caring for Pumiwi who was coughing and trembling with fever.

Mboare entered the hut, soaked to the skin, carrying a bunch of leaves.

"Oh, my dear! So good you are back!"

He gave her the leaves, "Here you are. More cecropia*" He looked at his son, "Is he any better?"

Shaking her head, "No, unfortunately not. I already gave him the cecropia decoction and applied it as a poultice to his chest, but it does not seem to alleviate his condition."

"Did you give him the anacahuita*, too?"

"Yes, but it made no difference."

Mboare´s face grew somber.

Boharati went on, "Ah! I wish we could go and ask Agarepa for help! She would certainly know what to do."

Mboare reflected for a moment, pondering his wife´s comment, and then said pensively, "I could go to see her, because I am not banned from the tribe. But how could I bring Pumiwi with me? It is a long journey that would take many days. And bringing Agarepa here is not possible, either. She would not leave her hut and the tribe for so long."

"Yes, what you say is true."
He sighed, "If we could only find other help closer to us..."

Boharati had an idea, "Perhaps we could go to Efigênia. Or maybe she would send one of their shamanesses to heal Pumiwi."

"Do you think she would help us?"

"Why do you doubt her? She seems to be a good person. She invited us, gave us nice food and a comfortable place to stay. Besides, remember she seemed to be fond of Pumiwi and gave him those presents. She will certainly be willing to help if she knows that he is ill."

Mboare admitted, "Well, that is possible. All right, I will go to see Efigênia and ask for her help."

"Thank you, Mboare."

He was soon ready, and hugged his wife before leaving.

Note:
*Cecropia and anacahuita are two plants used to heal respiratory diseases.

* * * * *

Mboare walked through the dark forest under the heavy rain, forced on by his strong will, ready to do anything for his son. His heart was pounding, but it was not from fatigue: he was full of anxiety, the despair of not knowing what was happening at his home and the fear that all this effort could be useless.

At last, he reached Efigênia´s house.

The rich woman and Romualdo were very surprised when the butler told them that he was there. "What? Why did he come in this weather? And why did he come alone?"

She received Mboare, and ordered towels and a warm drink for him.

"What... happened? Why... you ..alone?"

"Boharati... home. Pumiwi... ill. We need ... help, please!"

"Your son... ill?"

He nodded, "Yes. Help us, please!"

Recovering from her surprise, she reassured him, "Oh, yes, I´ll help you!" She turned to Romualdo, "Go get the medical equipment and prepare to leave."

The manager stared at her in disbelief.

She commanded ,"Now! Double quick!"

A short time later, Efigênia and Romualdo, well covered with waterproof clothes, followed Mboare to the hut.

At last, the group reached their destination.

Boharati felt greatly relieved when they arrived at the hut.

She embraced her husband, "Oh, Mboare, how good you are back!"

"And I am glad to see you, too! How´s Pumiwi?"

"There is no change."

Efigênia asked, "Pumiwi... what happens?"

Boharati answered, "He... coughs... cof-cof"

The landowner nodded, indicating she understood, "Yes".

The warrior went on, "He has.. fever." She touched her forehead and shook her hand as if it were hot.

Efigênia nodded again, "We.. now... see Pumiwi. Then... choose medicine... Good medicine... for him."

Boharati replied, "Thank you."

After a brief examination, Efigênia and Romualdo decided to try with an antibiotic and an antipyretic.

The parents were worried when they saw them prepare the injections, "What is that? A... dart?"

Efigênia nodded "This... dart... with ... medicine. We... put... into Pumiwi´s arm. He... soon ... well."

Boharati was skeptical,"He will .... get... well?"

"You... trust. This... good medicine."

The warrior remained pensive: if darts could poison the game´s body, why could they not have medicine to heal her son? Then, she accepted, "Do it."

Efigênia applied the injections and announced, "Now... we wait."

Some time later, Pumiwi stopped trembling, relaxed and slept peacefully, now free of the fever and the coughing.

Efigênia sighed with relief, "Now... he better."

Boharati murmured, "Oh, yes, thank you."

Mboare said, "Now... is late. You ...sleep here. I prepared ... hammocks."

"Good. Thank you."

Next morning, when Pumiwi woke up, his parents were happy to see he was much better. Efigênia, too, was satisfied with herself, since she had been able to deal with the situation succesfully. She then gave them antibiotic pills and an antihistamine, and showed how they should be used.

A very grateful Mboare offered to accompany his guests back to their home. Boharati offered them a piece of smoked meat they had stored.

"I bring.... something ... you eat ....on the way. I ....offer ... alligator... tail."

Efigênia and Romualdo exchanged a look, and she said, "Err.. no, thank you. We... appreciate... but we ... have food ... in... bags."

* * * * *

When the group arrived at the fazenda, they offered Mboare a meal and a place to rest.

Once they were alone, Romualdo asked, "I am really surprised, Dona Efigênia! All this effort to help that kid?"

She answered, almost out of pacience, "Ooh! Why do I always have to explain you everything!? Healing the kid earned us their confidence and gratitude. Now they will think we are true friends and probably decide they can guide us to their village ."

He coomented, "Good the antibiotics worked, then. If it had been a resistant bacteria..."

She scoffed, "Oh, please, resistant bacteria here in the middle of the forest? In a big town, could be, but here..."

"You are right."

"Of course! You know me well, I think. How could you imagine for a second that I would play Florence Nightingale for nothing?"

"Actually, I was surprised, because it was not like you. Glad the plan is working."

"And I am glad we carried those crackers and the tuna cans... I did not like the idea of eating alligator´s tail!

* * * * *

During the rainy days , the Kawapore did not hunt. Akiko and her team used the time to hold conversations with the villagers and record their stories, and observed how they prepared arrows, fishing hooks, nets, and baskets to collect fruits and vegetables.

One day, she expressed the hope to Iviruti, that the weather would get better soon so they could leave.

"It should not last much longer, now. The rainy season is advanced."

"Maybe we can start preparing our trip in a couple of days, then."

The cheiftain nodded, "Yes, that would be wise. And I have important decisions to make. I have never left the tribe, so must choose a second-in-command to be in charge while I am away."

"Yes, that is really a serious matter."

"I´ll call everyone to a council and announce my decision."

"I hope everyone will agree."

"I also hope there will be no objections."

* * * * *

The warriors gathered in the Council House as Iviruti had asked them to do.

The leader announced, "Dear Sisters, I have called you because I must tell you that I will leave and travel to the land of Akiko and her people."

Everyone was shocked, and asked why.

"I feel we need to learn more about Akiko and her people. I want to meet their leaders, and speak for us."

Mahintere objected, "But that is nonsense! The duty of a chieftain is to be with her tribe!"

"I know it is not usual according our tradition, but I made up my mind to do it."

Awatere asked, "But... will you return?"

"Of course! It will be only for a little while. I will come back as soon as possible"

Mahintere shouted, "But alone!"

The chieftain stared at her, "What do you mean?"

"I mean, I do not want to see you coming here with strangers who will take over our land!"

Iviruti became pale with fury, "What? Are you calling me a traitor? I am Kawapore, and would never betray our people."

Others supported the leader. Tukuma told Mahintere she had gone too far.

The warrior replied, "All right. Do as you want, then." She looked at the other warriors, "But, if anything bad happens, remember I warned you."

"Good, let us go on with our meeting now."

Nyamatiri asked, "Do you have something else to tell us?"

"Yes. Due to my absence, the tribe will need someone who will be in charge."

"And who will that be?" asked Motokori.

"I have been thinking about it." She looked around at the other warriors. "All of you are strong and brave, my sisters, so it was a difficult decision. In the end, I concluded that a leader needs more wisdom than strength, and so I decided that Okavura will be in command while I am away. And all of you will be ready to assist her as needed."

The warriors stood as a body, acknowledging Okavura's leadership: they realized Iviruti had made the best choice.

* * * * *

As the days passed, with the help of the medication, Pumiwi got well. The relieved parents watched happily as their son became cheerful, ready to play and have fun.

One night, after Pumiwi went to sleep, Boharati said to her husband, "Mboare, I have been thinking...."

He looked at her attentively, "And what did you think, my darling?"

"Pumiwi is healthy again and the bad weather is over now."

Her husband smiled and nodded, "Yes, things are going on well now."

"And I thought that we could take advantage of this good weather to go and visit Efigênia."

"But... why?

"I think she would like to see that Pumiwi is well now. What do you think?"

"Oh... yes, I guess you are right."

"I also think we must show her our gratitude. She healed our son and that means a lot."

"Of course! And what do you suggest, then? We should find a good present."

"I already thought about that. She wants to know our village, so we could guide her."

"But... You are banned!"

"I know, but I imagine nobody would harm me if I come with new friends. And nobody would have the courage to attack me in front of my family."

"Oh Boharati! What you want to do is too risky!"

"But we also owe much to Efigênia!"

"And Akiko did not trust her. She sent those men to kill her..."

She interrupted him, "And they were killed by a jaguar, so we will never know. Besides, she said Akiko is her friend."

"Then why did they not come to our village together? You see, someone here is not saying the truth."

She replied with rage in her voice, "Yes, and I think that... Akiko should explain many things."

Mboare looked at her with wide yes, "So you think it is she?"

Boharati answered firmly, "And how could we doubt Efigênia? She gave us presents and cared for our son. She proved to be a good friend."

He thought for a moment, and then admitted, "Yes, that is true."

"Good you agree! So, we will do it?"

He murmured without much conviction, "If you want to do so."

"Sure I do!"

* * * * *

"Dona Efigênia! The Indians are here again." The housemaid startled Efigenia with this announcement.

"The Indians? You mean, the three of them?" "Yes, Senhora."

The business woman smiled, satisfied, "Good."

She went to receive her guests, "Boharati! Mboare! Good... you come! And Pumiwi! Pumiwi.. well now."

Boharati smiled and nodded, "Yes, thanks to you."

Efigênia shook her head, "No... no thanks. Ephigenia... happy... Pumiwi is well."

"But we want to thank. We... will guide... to village."

"Oooh...! Really?" The landowner could not believe her ears.

"We... will guide." Boharati repeated Then she asked, "Efigênia happy?"

"Oh, yes, very happy!"

Mboare commented, "Akiko... surprised."

"Yes... big surprise." Efigênia smiled. "But it is not what you think, my dear little pigeons!"

"When... Ephigenia wants to go?"

"I... tell men... get ready tomorrow. We go... the day ... after tomorrow. You... stay here now."

The warrior assented, "Good"

* * * * *

Boharati, Mboare and Pumiwi were on the boat with Efigênia, Romualdo and a group of men.

Boharati looked at the landscape and enjoyed the trip since she had never traveled in such a fast and comfortable way. On the contrary, Mboare sat looking down, his arms over his chest, deeply submerged in his own thoughts.

Efigênia noticed his attitude, "What happens? Mboare ... not happy? Not like... go home to village?"

He answered, "Oh, yes, I like it! I am happy. Only I am thinking."

His wife asked, "And what were you thinking, dear?"

"The people in the village do not know we are coming. You could stay and camp near the river, while Pumiwi and I go to tell the news, so they all will be there waiting for us."

Boharati was pleased, "Oh, yes, that is a good idea."

Efigênia did not understand everything, "Mboare and Pumiwi... go to village... and tell everyone... we come? Tell people... wait?"

He nodded, "Yes... right."

The ambitious landowner pondered the offer, seeing it could be convenient for her plans. She pictured the unsuspecting, defenseless villagers, all gathering to welcome them...

Boharati interrupted her musing, "So, Efigênia ...like... idea?"

"Oh, yes. I... like ... it. I like .... it... very much. " She thought for a moment and added,"Efigênia... go with.. Mboare and Pumiwi."

He shook his head. "I am.. very.. sorry. Mboare and Pumiwi... Kawapore... friends... People know. People... not know ... Efigênia. Efigênia... stay here. Go... when Mboare... back... People... ready then."

This worried Efigênia because she wanted to be there and make sure Mboare would not send them into a trap. Then she remembered the Kawapore were loyal and sincere people and thought she could certainly trust Mboare after the presents and the healing of his son.

She finally accepted, "Good. I.. .stay."

* * * * *

Iviruti was in her hut with Akiko, checking the details of their pending trip. A voice called from outside, "Iviruti! Are you there?"

The chieftain started, "What?"

A man and a child entered the hut, "Iviruti! How good to see you, sister!"

The leader´s eyes sparkled with joy, "OH, Mboare! Pumiwi!"

She embraced her brother tightly, "This is indeed such a nice surprise!" Then she lifted the boy in her arms and kissed him, "Hello, Pumiwi! I am so glad to see you, my dear little one!"

Akiko watched them, smiling broadly, sharing their happiness.

The visitors greeted the anthropologist, too, and then Iviruti asked, "And Boharati? What happened to her?"

Mboare´s smile faded. He looked at his son, "Pumiwi, dear, would you like to go and play with your friends outside?"

"Oh, yes, Dad!"

After the boy left, his father explained, "She is with Efigênia and her men, camping by the river."

The anthropologist exclaimed, "Efigênia? The woman who tried to kill me?"

Iviruti was shocked, "What!?" Then turned to her brother, "Did they capture her? If they ..."

Her brother interrupted, "No, no, she guided them!

Akiko was incredulous, "She... guided them?"

"Yes, that is right."

Iviruti wanted to know, "But... how is that possible?"

"Efigênia helped us. She gave us presents, and healed Pumiwi. So Boharati wanted to return the favours."

The chieftain murmured, "I see..."

Akiko commented, "I can´t believe it! That´s not like the Efigênia I know. Does she live in a big house, with lots of land around and animals?"

Mboare asked, "Animals? You mean... the mooh-moohs?"

Iviruti asked, "Err... mooh-moohs?"

"It´s a kind of big animal, with horns, and it calls mooh."Akiko explained

The young man nodded, "Yes, that is it. And yes, Efigênia´s house is really big."

The anthropologist was pensive, "So, she must be the same one, after all... She also tricked me, and I also thought she was good at first."

Iviruti was trying to understand, "But then.. why? She tried to kill Akiko and now..."

Mboare lifted his arms and let them fall. "I do not know either. I only know she wanted to see our people and our village"

His sister smirked, "Oh, really?"

He went on, "I do not trust her, either. That is why I told them I was going to announce our arrival and asked them to stay in the camp, while I arranged for everyone to be waiting here ready to receive us."

"I see", was Iviruti´s comment. She added, "Of course, we will be ready!"

Mboare was worried, "Be careful! If they are attacked, we do not know what they would do!"

The chieftain replied calmly, "We are not going to attack, of course. We will just wait. If they really come in peace, nothing will happen. But if they want to harm us... they will get a surprise. How many men are with her?"

"A guy called Romualdo, and six more."

Iviruti commented, "Good. I think we can handle that."

Her brother insisted, "But please, be careful"

Iviruti smiled, "Of course! Do not worry, please."

He pleaded, "And do not judge Boharati harshly. She really believes Efigênia is a good person and a true friend. It is not her fault"

The warrior nodded, "I am not blaming her."

"Will you forgive her?"

"A warrior like her should be more careful when choosing friends, but yes, it is not her fault if Efigênia took her in."

* * * * *

The group, guided by Boharati and Mboare, arrived at the village but found it empty and silent. Efigênia was puzzled, because it was not what she had expected.

"What happened? Seems there is nobody here." She turned to Mboare, "Didn´t you say they would all be here waiting?"

"Yes, that is what we had agreed, but..."

Efigênia realized the truth, "You prepared a trap, didn´t you?"

Romualdo hit Mboare on the head with the butt of his gun, and the young man fell unconscious to the ground.

Boharati threw herself against Romualdo, the knife ready in her hand, yelling at the top of her voice, "NOOO!"

There was a loud noise as Efigênia pulled the trigger of her gun. The bullet wounded Boharati, stopping her attack. However, the brave warrior had the time and the strength to throw her knife at the evil woman. Efigênia reached her hand to the middle of her chest and fell to the ground.

Romualdo quickly knelt beside the ambitious landowner. He opened wide his eyes when he felt her pulse and found out she was dead.

Iviruti anxiously watched everything from her hiding place inside the hut. She tensed her bow and prepared to protect her brother, but the reaction from Boharati hindered her plan, since she interfered with her vision of the target, not allowing a clear shot.

Romualdo,now fully enraged, shouted, "Now I´ll kill you all, you traitors!". He aimed his gun at the unconscious couple, while Pumiwi, scared and horrified, cried desperately, "Mom! Dad!"

But now the chieftain was ready and had a clear target. She released the arrow that went through Romualdo´s neck.

The men, frightened to see their bosses dead, stepped back, getting closer to each other. However, Ze Lucas, who was one of the group, quickly moved to catch Pumiwi by an arm and yelled, "Don´t follow us or I´ll kill the child!"

Thanks to Akiko´s lessons, Iviruti was quite fluent in Portuguese, so she tried to negotiate, "Deixe a criança! Deixe a criança e nos deixamos voçés ir imbora!" (Leave the child! Leave the child and we will let you go away!)

Ze Lucas replied,"Ha! E voçé pensa que eu vou acreditar isso?" ("Ha! And you think I am going to believe that?")

He gestured with his head to signal his comrades to move away as he slowly retreated, holding Pumiwi tightly.

The chieftain, seeing her nephew in danger, had no choice. She was in a good position, had a clear target, so she shot an arrow and hit Ze Lucas right in the middle of the chest.

She left her place and called the boy, "Come, Pumiwi! Come here! Quick!"

One of the men, now out of control, saw the warrior and aimed at her, "Eu vou matar voçe, filha da p...!" ("I am going to kill you, you b...!")

He shot his gun, but right that moment, someone jumped in front of the chieftain, yelling, "IVIRUTI! NOOOO!"

The leader was shocked when she saw Mahintere fall to the ground, her hand over the wound in the middle of the belly.

"Mahintere!"

Pumiwi ran to his aunt, who embraced him, "O, my dear boy!"

The man aimed again, but an arrow wounded his shoulder. Other arrows, coming from different directions, finished him. The remaining men, now scared, ran away, "Come on, let´s go!"

Iviruti smiled at Akiko, who still held her bow, "Thank you! You saved Pumiwi and me."

The anthropologist sighed, looking at Mahintere, "But I could not save her."

"Come, help me take her inside the hut."

The wounded warrior said, in a weak voice, "Oh, no,… it is... useless! You... can do... nothing!"

Akiko said, "Shh! Don´t talk! We´ll look at the wound and..."

Mahintere shook her head, "No...it is a mortal...wound, I know." She looked at Iviruti, "But I …am happy,... because I die... for you... In... your.. arms." She took a last breath, and closed her eyes.

The other warriors arrived, "What happened? Mahintere...?"

Iviruti murmured in a dark voice, "She is dead. Please, take the body to her hut and prepare the funeral." She looked around and saw Mboare where he sat on the ground and turned to the still uncounscious Boharati. The chieftain offered a hand to her nephew, "Come on, Pumiwi, we must see how your parents are!"

Awatere interrupted, "Should we go after those men?"

A roar was heard in the distance and Iviruti smiled, "Do you not think our Guardian the Jaguar can take care of that?"

Awatere smiled back and agreed, "Oh, yes, what you say is true."

Iviruti and Pumiwi went to see their family, and Akiko accompanied them.

The chieftain embraced her brother, "Mboare! I am so happy you are all right."

"Yes, I am feeling better now, but Boharati..."

Pumiwi touched Boharati, "Come on, Mom. Wake up!"

Akiko examined Boharati, anxiously observed by the family of the wounded warrior. She said to Pumiwi, "Don´t worry, your Mom will be all right."

"So?", Iviruti asked.

"She will recover. The bullet hit a rib, and no important organs are injured. She will require care and time, but the wound will heal."

Thiago and Sergio appeared from their hiding place and joined them, with the cameras hanging from their necks. "Dr. Tsurugawa! Are you all right?"

"Yes, and you?"

"We are all right, too. These pictures will be valuable evidence of what happened here."

Iviruti said , "Very good. Now we must hurry and help Boharati. Please, help Mboare to take her to my hut."

As the men were carrying Boharati to the hut, other warriors questioned them, "What are you doing?"

Nyamatiri protested, "Boharati does not belong here anymore. She is an exile, and she brought the strangers here!"

Iviruti replied harshly, "And how can she leave? Do you think she is in a condition to go walking around in the forest?"

Okavura supported her, "Yes, sisters, why do you worry? Boharati cannot harm anyone in this moment, and she needs our help. Besides, we cannot let her family down. They have not been banned. "

Nyamatiri admitted, "Good, so be it. But only until she recovers her strength!"

The chieftain agreed, "Nobody is asking for more."

Okavura looked at Boharati and commented, "We should call Agarepa."

Iviruti replied, "We will do it tomorrow. Meanwhile, Akiko will care for her."

The elder was surprised, "Why wait until tomorrow?"

The leader explained, "It´s too late now to go to her hut..." A jaguar´s roar was heard in the distance... "And besides, I think she is busy right now."

Okavura nodded, "Yes, so I hear."

* * * * *

The next morning, Mboare woke up and stroked the head of his son, who was sleeping next to him.

He looked around and saw Iviruti and Akiko sitting next to Boharati´s hammock.

"Good morning, Mboare."

"Good morning, sister." Then asked anxiously, "How is Boharati?"

"She is sleeping well."

Akiko explained, "The medicines are taking effect. She is breathing normally, and her pulse is regular and strong."

Iviruti smiled, "Do not worry, brother, she will receive the best care we can give her."

He nodded, "And Pumiwi and I are very grateful for that."

"Are you hungry? There is fruit and manioc."

"Thank you." He helped himself to the breakfast.

Sergio and Thiago stood silently at the door. When they saw all were awake: "Good morning, may we come in?"

"Yes, come in, please." Iviruti invited them.

"Thank you. " Thiago turned to the anthropologist, "Dr. Tsurugawa, did you speak with Senhora Iviruti about going to the authorities?"

Akiko shook her head, "No, I did not have time. We have been busy caring for Boharati."

"Going to the authorities?" asked Iviruti.

The FUNAI officer said, "What they say is correct, we have to report to the police what happened here yesterday."

Iviruti suddenly remembered, "Ah, yes, the Po-lice"

Akiko nodded "Yes. We will explain you had to defend yourselves."

Mboare repeated, "Po-lice?"

"They are like warriors who take care nobody does anything bad."

"I see."

Sergio and Thiago told the chieftain and her brother: "We have the video and the pictures of all that happened here. We were in a good place to see everything, particularly that the woman and her men attacked first. This is the proof. We also have the guns these men were carrying."

"Maybe Senhora Iviruti and her brother could go with us to Fonte Boa to tell what happened." Thiago suggested.

Mboare answered him, "But I cannot leave my wife and my son!"

"We will talk about this when Boharati is better," was Iviruti´s opinion. "I know this is really important, but her health and survival are most important."

Akiko expressed agreement with this.

The chieftain stood up, "Good. Now I will go to see Agarepa. We need her to help Boharati, and also for the funeral ceremony."

Feeling the need to talk to Iviruti in private, Akiko volunteered to accompany her.

The chieftain demurred at first, but saw the determination in Akiko's face and manner. She looked at her loved one for a moment and then accepted, "All right, come with me then."

Akiko and Iviruti walked silently side by side along the trail leading to Agarepa´s hut.

The warrior broke the stillness, "Well, Akiko, there is something you wanted to talk about?"

Akiko let out a soft breath as if she'd been holding it a while, "I've been thinking about Mahintere´s last words and I would like to know..."

Iviruti interrupted her, "Mahintere and I? You are wrong about that."

"Wrong? What I heard..."

"Means that she was in love with me, that is true. But I never loved her"

"Then why didn´t you tell me about Mahintere before?"

"I did not think it was necessary, and I did not want to worry you."

"Worry me? Why?"

Iviruti sighed, "She was jealous, and even spied on us."

"You should have warned me, then!" Akiko reproached her.

"Why? I could control the situation myself, without getting you involved."

Akiko thought for a moment and then insisted, "So you never had feelings for Mahintere?"

"The only one I ever loved was Tiranwari..." Iviruti looked into the eyes of her beloved and said, "... until I met you."

Akiko looked at her in silence for a moment, and then embraced the warrior, "And I love you, Iviruti."

They kissed briefly.

"Everything is clear now?" Iviruti asked.

"Yes," Akiko murmured and leaned in for another kiss.

The warrior hesitated, "Good... then… we must move on. We... we have to see Agarepa and go back to the village."

Akiko looked disappointed, but said, "You're right. Let us go, then."

* * * * *

Thanks to the care of Agarepa and Akiko, Boharati improved daily.

One morning, after a light breakfast, the shamaness gave her an herbal decoction and Akiko carefully cleaned the wound and changed the bandages.

The warrior said, hesitating, "You know... I... I do not know how to thank you. I did not trust or like you at first, but you helped me and saved my life."

"Oh, please, that is already forgotten. What happened, that is in the past."

"I am glad that you feel that way."

"And I am glad that you changed your opinion about me."

Boharati sighed, and murmured ashamed, "I was so wrong..."

Agarepa, whose deep eyes were fixed on them, said, "Now you know the truth. I hope you will learn to judge people better from now on."

The warrior replied, "I hope so too, Wise Mother."
 

Akiko tied the bandage and told her, "This is all for now. I will go to my hut."

On the way, the anthropologist ran into a group of warriors led by Tukuma.

After the greetings, they asked her how Boharati was doing."

"Fortunately, she is better."

"Good! If it is so, she has to leave," Tukuma said.

Akiko was shocked, "What?"

Kinuwa reminded her, "Iviruti said she could stay until she recovered."

Akiko shook her head and said in disbelief, "Oh, you cannot be speaking seriously! She is better now, yes, but she is still very weak."

Awatere repeated the edict, "She has been banned, she must go."

At that moment, Iviruti, Mboare and Pumiwi arrived, carrying dead branches and dry wood they had found.

"What is happening here?" the leader asked.

Tukuma greeted her, "Iviruti, so good you came! We were discussing Boharati, and since she is better, she should leave."

Iviruti shook her head and replied emphatically, "Oh no, she is not going anwhere! She is not in any condition to walk around. How would she hunt or fish? How would she defend herself or her family?"

Nyamatiri said, "She challenged you, you defeated her, so she cannot stay here."

Mbenbetari supported her, "Yes, otherwise the Spirits could put a curse on us."

The rest demanded, "Yes! She must go!"

Iviruti looked at them defiantly and spoke up firmly, "She is in MY hut, under MY care, and she will not leave until she is completely recovered!"

A solemn, authoritative voice was heard, "What does this mean, my daughters?"

They all looked at Agarepa. The shamaness approached slowly, "You ought to be ashamed! You want to expel Boharati, who was one of your sisters, now that she needs us?"

Awatere exclaimed, "She has been banned!"

Agarepa looked at her and said calmly, "A solution to satisfy both arguments can be found."

Tukuma asked, "How? That is the tradition! The Spirits..."

"They can be appeased, do not worry!" The shamaness added, "Our tradition does not say the ban must be forever. It can be lifted."

"Really?"

Agarepa explained, "I can pray to the Spirits and make a ceremony to receive Boharati again among us."

Okavura, who had come to see what was happening, agreed with the shamaness, "Oh, yes, what Wise Mother says is true. Also, Boharati is a good hunter and a brave warrior. It would be good to have her with us again, sisters!"

Tukuma was momentarily reluctant, but finally accepted, "We will be glad to withdraw our demand, since Wise Mother grants us the blessings of the Spirits."

Okavura asked the chieftain, "And what do you say? Boharati offended you and..."

Iviruti answered, "I will be glad to accept her among our sisters again, too."

The shameness assented, "It will be done."

* * * * *

Agarepa and Akiko went to see Boharati, and they were pleased to find that the warrior´s recovery was so far advanced.

The shamaness said, "You are doing very well, my daughter. You are almost healed."

Akiko agreed, "Yes, you just need to rest a couple more days to recover your strength. But now you can walk around a bit here in the hut, without making great efforts."

Mboare said, "This is great news indeed!" He told his wife, "You know, my darling, I have repaired our former hut, so we can move there."

She smiled cheerfully "Oh, how nice!"

"I was thinking that while you stay here to recover completely, I could go with my friends Nipokai and Parivare to the hut in the forest to get the utensils and things that are still there."

"Oh yes, that is a very good idea."

"I want to go too, Dad!" Pumiwi begged.

"Oh no, I´m very sorry but you can´t."

But... why?" The little child was very disappointed.

"It´s a very long trip, my dear ", his mother told him.

"You see, I need you to be here and take care of your mother while I am away."

 "Is that true?" A surprised Pumiwi asked excitedly.

Mboare nodded, with a smile, "Oh, yes!"

"Well, I will stay then."

"Great!"

Boharati stretched out her arms to embrace him, "Now that´s a good boy! Come with me!"

Iviruti turned to the practical matters, "Well, brother, you know, take all the food you need."

"Thank you, sister"

Akiko said, "You know, Iviruti, we will also have to leave, we need to go to the police."

The chieftain nodded, "Yes, that is true. But I think we need to wait until Boharati is completely well."

The anthropologist replied, "No problem, we can wait until Mboare is back and Boharati can move to the new hut."

Iviruti agreed, "Good."
* * * * *

Everything went as planned: when Mboare and his friends returned, Boharati was almost completely recovered, so the family moved to their former hut.

Then, Iviruti, Akiko, Thiago and Sergio went to the police to report the failed attack on the tribe and returned without problem.

It was decided they would leave for Manaos in a week, after the ceremony and the blessings of Agarepa to have a good trip.

Iviruti was impatient to know the land of her loved one, and was happy that they would be going there soon. She quickly gathered the things she would take along and since the weather was fine and hot, she decided to go swimming in the river and invited Akiko.

The anthropologist gladly accepted, so they went to a place where the water was calm and not so deep.

Iviruti went into the water first, providing Akiko the view she loved: the grace and power of the chieftain´s well sculpted body.

Iviruit gave Akiko a mischievous grin, "Be careful, dear! I wouldn´t like a stingray to get a piece of you again."

Akiko frowned and entered the river cautiously until she stood next to the chieftain, "Yes, you say that, but you have to admit that you enjoyed carrying me in your arms, mmh?"

Iviruti playfully splashed water at her as she chuckled, "Oh, that´s what you think!"

The anthropologist made false protests as she splashed water back at her beloved, "Oh, don´t throw water at me, please!"

Iviruti threw water again at Akiko, asking in a good humoured tone, "Throw water at you? Like this?"

Akiko intertwined her fingers and quickly pressed her palms, creating a water jet that hit Iviruti´s face, "No, like this!"

They started a water battle, until they embraced each other, laughing heartily.

When they recovered their breath, Akiko said, "Now that I think of it... It´s the first time I see and hear you laughing."

"Because I am very happy when I am with you!"

"I am very happy too!" She put her arms around the warrior´s neck and kissed her on the lips. Then she murmured, "I love you, Iviruti... I love you so much!"

Iviruti gave her a long, passionate kiss, "I love you too, Akiko!"

The cheftain´s long fingers slowly moved along Akiko´s back and waist. The tingling sensation forced the anthropologist to close her eyes and shiver.

The warrior whispered in her ear, "You are so beautiful!"

Now Iviruti´s hand stroked her wet hair, her cheek and then gently lifted her chin

Akiko pleaded, "No, Iviruti... Wait, please... Let´s get out of the river."

The warrior looked at her in understanding, "But we don´t need to."

Then, without quite knowing how, Akiko found herself floating in the river, hugged closely by Iviruti. The contact of their wet, naked bodies, her belly pressing against Iviruti´s firm belly, her thighs against the warrior´s strong thighs accelerated her pulse and made her feel hot in spite of the coolness of the water. The chieftain caressed her body, and she responded in the same way. The caresses became more intimate and more urgent.

They gave and received pleasure, releasing their passion, their breathing united in the same rhythm, their souls melting into one, aware of nothing but each other, united in a tight embrace and swimming together like dolphins, moving in and out of the water.
 
Akiko lost consciousness of the world, her body moving together with Iviruti´s. It was a strange sensation to be held by the water, not feeling the weight of their bodies, and at the same time, having to be careful and attentive to her lover, to counterbalance her movements with a unique coordination; letting desire go ahead, but under a strict self-control... the anthropologist had never experienced anything like this.

At last, their present yearnings fulfilled, they went to the bank of the river and rested side by side, holding hands and smiling at one another.

* * * * *

Iviruti and the explorers finally left the village. They sailed on their small boat , until they reached Tabatinga. From there, they would continue their journey aboard the "Amazon Queen", a steamer boat going to Manaos, but they had to overcome an obstacle before going aboard: they had to convince Captain Genival that Iviruti would not hurt anyone with her spear or her arrows.

Then, there was another moment of a certain tension, when the other passengers looked with curiosity and surprise at Iviruti, since it was unusual for them to see a woman wearing only a loincloth and necklaces. However, the chieftain´s dignified attitude earned her everyone´s respect, so there was no problem.

The rest of the trip went on normally. When they neared Manaos, Akiko turned on her cell phone and called the FUNAI office, "Senhor De Sousa? Dr. Tsurugawa here." She listend and answered, "Yes, we are all fine, thank you. Things went all right..." A pause "Yes, that is true, unfortunately... But I would prefer to tell you about it in the office, if you don´t mind." A short pause, "Glad you agree. You know, I wanted to tell you we have with us a very special guest: Iviruti, the leader of the Kawapore." To a comment by Senhor De Sousa, Akiko replied, "You don´t have to worry about that. She will stay with me at my home, of course!" Another pause. The anthropologist said "Very good. We will see you at the dock, then. Goodbye," and ended the call.

Meanwhile, Iviruti looked at her very puzzled, "You were talking to that box?"

Akiko couldn´t help laughing, "No, I was talking to a person who works with me. And this box is what we call a cell phone. With this you can talk to anyone who also has this kind of phone."

The chieftain repeated, "So, this is a cell-phone."

The team used their devices to demonstrate how they worked and taught her how to call. Iviruti was surprised and happy when she talked on the phone with Akiko, who first went to the other side of the boat where her friends could not see her.

At last, the "Amazon Queen" arrived at Manaos in the afternoon and the travellers were received by Senhor De Sousa, who was waiting for them together with Bautista, another FUNAI member who drove the van to take them home.

After the introductions, Iviruti looked at the vehicle: "What is this thing? It looks like a... a small hut."

Akiko explained, "This is a car, we use it to follow the paths to go from one place to another."

"Oh! Good. And how does it move?"

"It has a motor... Like the boat."

"Ah! I see."

As they drove through the traffic, the chieftain noticed, "Oh! There are so many cars! So many people around! Are they going hunting, or fishing...?"

Akiko told her, "Oh, no! We do not hunt or fish. We bring the food from other places. There are people who have fruit, others have meat, others fish... They bring all that here, and they get in exchange other things they need and do not have."

"I understand."

Then the warrior looked at the high buildings: "Are those huts? How can people build something that high? And how can you live in such a high hut?"

"Actually, it is not just one hut, but many huts built one over the other until it becomes high, as you see."

Iviruti found it hard to understand, "So many huts? One over the other? And why do people do that?"

Akiko hesitated a bit, "Well... people like to live near the places where they work and where they can go and get the food. The city would be much larger if everybody had a home on the ground, and distances would be greater. "

Iviruti murmured, "Strange."

Soon they arrived at Akiko´s home.

As they came to a stop, Iviruti asked her "So, this is where you live?"

"Yes. We get out of the van here."

After they unloaded the luggage, Senhor De Sousa said, "Well, have a good rest now. I would like to meet Iviruti and you tomorrow. We need to talk. "

Akiko nodded, "Of course"

They entered the building. The warrior admired the electric light and the lift. When they arrived at the apartment door, Akiko opened it and invited her beloved in, "So, Iviruti, we are home at last."

(TO BE CONCLUDED IN BOOK 4)

Return to the Academy

f course"

They entered the building. The warrior admired the electric light and the lift. When they arrived at the apartment door, Akiko opened it and invited her beloved in, "So, Iviruti, we are home at last."

(TO BE CONCLUDED IN BOOK 4)

Return to the Academy

Author's Page