Andrea was correct. Miranda thought as she slid into the already occupied bed. It has been a long three days. She sighed and relaxed as Andrea shifted and wrapped herself around the new arrival. Miranda smiled as she closed her eyes. Runway was printed and on its way to distribution, plus she was looking forward to sleeping for several hours before waking in Andrea’s arms. Tomorrow was the day Andrea had promised to tell her the ‘secret’ she’d shared with Cassidy three days ago. Tomorrow was also a day Miranda had been looking forward to for another reason. Then, Miranda smirked, Andrea will find that I can keep a secret or two myself. With that thought the editor drifted off into sleep, secure in the knowledge that Andrea was sleeping peacefully next to her and life was good. She's going to marry me, was the last thought that passed through her mind before unconsciousness claimed her.

Miranda was aware of the mattress shifting and Andrea’s warmth moving away. For a moment she was worried that Andrea was getting up for good. Nightmares often woke the young woman and prevented sleep afterward. A quick glance at the clock, and the light leaking from around the bathroom door reassured her that Andrea hadn’t gone far. If it was a nightmare that had disrupted her sleep, Andrea would have gone to the kitchen for some milk. Shifting, Miranda closed her eyes, dozing until she felt the mattress shift again and Andrea’s warmth along with the vague scent of soap and antibacterial gel returned. With a deep breath she spoke, but kept her eyes blissfully closed. It hadn’t been too long since she’d made it to bed. “I thought we were going to sleep in today.”

Yeah, we can sleep later.” Andy moved closer and kissed Miranda’s cheek lightly. “It’s after midnight, that means it's Sunday and I promised to tell you what I’d told Cassidy.”

Opening one eye, then the other Miranda turned her, now fully awake, attention to Andrea. “And?”

Andy grinned. “My exact words were. ‘It’s finished.’…” Reaching down, she took Miranda’s left hand in her own and kissed the woman’s knuckles or more specifically the backs of the elegant fingers, and more specifically than that, the bare skin between the large joint on the editor’s left ring finger and the knuckle at the base of it.

finished?” Miranda managed to push the word past the lump in her throat. She can’t mean… we’re finished… she can’t…Cassidy wouldn’t be happy about that… Her heart began to race as panicked thoughts rushed through her head. “Andrea!...”

Shhhhhh…” Andy slid her fingers through the white disheveled hair and held the older woman in place for a thorough kiss. Miranda's thoughts were apparent and Andy addressed them, “We, will never be finished.” Large brown eyes conveyed the love she felt and also a bit of sadness that Miranda had jumped to that conclusion so fast. “I’ve seen you, playing with your bare ring finger… I’m sorry I couldn’t manage to get this any sooner.”

Miranda looked at her partner in confusion. She almost missed the motion, but the warm metal slipping around her finger made her blink. She blinked again as she looked down at the glittering ring on her finger. “Andrea… what have you done?”

It’s one of a kind, hand-crafted… that's why I had to wait for it to be finished…before I could ask… I mean, when you asked me, weeks ago, I should have returned the question then, but I didn't have the ring finished yet, so I've never asked you… ” She pressed her lips together; unable to read the expression on Miranda’s face as the older woman’s eyes fixed on the ring now resting on her finger. It made her thoughts take a tangent. “… I wasn’t sure if you would like it or not…”

It’s amazing, Miranda thought. From a distance it would look like a simple ring, one actually very similar to an item Miranda already owned, but up close the diamond cluster took form. Miranda couldn’t take her eyes off the tiny intricate dragon now resting on her finger. Its body was curled into a spiral and its tail was wrapped around her finger. The scales on its body were diamonds and there were two vividly blue sapphires to represent the miniature animal’s eyes. Miranda’s voice was barely above a whisper. “It’s perfect.” Miranda nodded. “I am the Dragon Lady, after all…”

Yes, you are.” Andy saw the hurt flash in Miranda’s eyes and shook her head. “You and I both know it’s true.” The brunette’s eyes held the older woman’s in a steady gaze. “Did you hear me? I know it’s true… but you aren’t what the press makes you out to be. You aren’t mean just for the sake of being mean. ” She waited for the editor to register that and continued. “You only lash out when something you love is threatened, the girls, Runway, me. It’s one of the many things I love about you.”

How long will it be before you’re tired of dealing with the Dragon Lady?” Miranda knew it would happen; it always happened.

Andy corrected her gently. “You’re my Dragon Lady and you will be, always.” The younger woman smiled, her dark eyes glistening in the dim light. “In case you didn’t notice, I am on that list, you protect me… do you have any idea how special that makes me feel? How loved?”

Andrea…you will eventually…”

No, Miranda, listen to me. I will never get tired of you, I will never leave you…” again, “I promise.” She willed the older woman to believe her. “This ring is part of that promise.”

Miranda dragged her gaze from the ring to look into the even more mesmerizing sight of her fiancée’s eyes. They had been together for such a short time and Miranda wanted this so very badly, but knew there were a great many things they had yet to learn about one another. She didn’t mean to say it, but one of her biggest fears wouldn’t be silenced and she whispered. “… you don’t even know me that well. How can you…”

We haven’t been together very long,” Andy admitted, acknowledging at least the truth of that, “but I think I know you well enough and I look forward to learning more…” Andy smiled and snuggled close. This conversation was becoming far too serious, “so… will you… marry me?”

She wants to learn more about me… I don’t think anyone has ever told me that. Miranda spoke quietly, her gaze returning to the ring. “For longer than I care to admit, I have wanted you to be at my side. Since we’ve been, together, I’ve begun to accept that, on occasion, I prefer to be at yours.”

Nudging the editor’s cheek with her nose, Andy grinned. “Is that a yes?”

Smirking as she recalled Andrea’s acceptance to her proposal, Miranda chuckled. “That is a definite, oh my friggin’ god…Yes!” She had to blink tears of joy from her eyes, but would have blinked anyway because Andrea’s smile was blinding. Miranda wondered for a moment if the sun was ever as dazzling. When the young woman kissed her for a very long moment then snuggled down next to her, Miranda chuckled. “Now what do you think you’re doing?”

Mmmm…” Andy settled in and answered sleepily. “Dozing off in the love of my life’s arms.”

Miranda was caught off guard by the matter-of-factness of that statement. “Andrea…” The older woman’s chuckle shook them both. “What am I going to do with you?”

Andy rubbed the other woman’s flat tummy and lightly kissed the shoulder beneath her cheek. “Anything you want, after we wake up… you promised we could sleep in today.”

So I did.” Miranda wiggled her left ring finger slightly, feeling the weight there, and wrapped her arms firmly around the young woman, her Andrea. “Sleep it is then.” For a while. Closing her eyes, the editor reveled in the contentment she felt. She didn’t mislead herself, it would not always be like this, so perfect, but while it was she intended on enjoying it to the fullest.

I'm going to marry her.

###

Miranda?” Andy walked into the bedroom from the bathroom. She was dressed in jeans, and a t-shirt. Her hair was still damp but styled. Miranda on the other hand was dressed in a stunning pinstriped pantsuit, the blouse unbuttoned just enough to look rakish with one lock of hair falling into her eyes. “Going somewhere?”

Mmm… the airport.” She scooped up her purse, casually asking, “You want to come along?”

Why are you going to the airport?” She had hoped they’d be able to spend the day together. “Runway business?”

Yes.” Miranda admitted. “There is a model arriving that I want to meet with for a moment.” She straightened her lapel. “Meeting her at the airport will be the easiest.” She looked Andrea in the eye. “Come with me.”

Okay…” Andy shrugged and grabbed her purse as well. “Only if I can go like this.” She indicated her jeans, blue form fitting t-shirt and her running shoes. Something Miranda never allowed worn out of the house unless there was actual running involved. She fully expected to be told to change them.

Put on a jacket.” Miranda’s eyes twinkled at Andrea’s widening eyes but the brunette walked toward the closet. When the young woman returned, straightening the jacket on her shoulders, the fashion icon nodded once. “Acceptable.” She smirked at Andrea’s rolling eyes. “Shall we?”

Roy was waiting for them at the curb and they were both pleasantly surprised that the reporters were considerably fewer. The remaining people were rather pushy, but manageable. Since there was nothing more to say other than what had already appeared in Sandy’s article, both women ignored the people shouting redundant questions. It was kind of a challenge going out and doing things, but they refused to let the reporters dictate what they did or when.

She knew it was at least a half hour ride to the airport, so after only about a minute Andy pressed the button to raise the privacy divider between the front and backseat. She didn’t wait for it to close all the way before she was straddling her fiancée.

We don’t often get a chance to fool around in the car.” Andy’s knees pressed against the back of the seat, her feet hanging over the front edge. “Whaddaya say?”

I say you talk far too much.” Miranda reached up to pull the young woman to her, making any more speech impossible.

###

Mila stepped into the small terminal and looked around for the driver she’d been promised. Had she not been one of the last people off the plane, she would have been slammed from behind as she stopped dead in her tracks. That was fortunate, because the wafer thin model would have surely taken heavy damage had that happened. The dark haired woman didn’t count herself very lucky at that point though, because one terrifying fact was running through her mind. Miranda is waiting on me! She rushed up to the woman.

Miranda! I’m so sorry!” Vivid green eyes conveyed the depth of her worry as the model twisted her hands together in front of her. “Am I supposed to be somewhere?”

No, Mila…” the editor sighed, “…in fact, you do not have to be here now.” She motioned for the woman to follow her.

The model blinked and then quickly caught up with the white-haired woman but managed to hold her tongue before she asked any more questions.

Miranda led Mila to an unmarked door, pushing it open and holding it for the model to enter. Miranda kept her expression neutral as she let the door close behind them and moved to sit next to Andrea on the couch in the small VIP lounge. While she waited for Mila to take a seat across from them, Andrea offered her a dollop of antibacterial gel. It wasn’t an unreasonable precaution in the very public airport, so Miranda accepted the cool goo in her palm. Rubbing it over hands, she took a deep breath and began. “I called you here, to New York, because I want you to be at the preview of Jean Paul’s designs.” She could see the disbelief on Mila’s face, but it was Andrea who spoke.

What?”

The editor turned slightly and answered Andrea’s question. “Jean Paul is rather talented, but when he and Mila discontinued their relationship, his muse seemed to have left him.” Mila was now speaking quite vehemently, in French, and Miranda grinned because she understood every outraged word. She thought Andrea probably picked up a few words as well, especially the one for ‘prostitute’. Miranda however continued speaking to the French woman in English. “I do not expect you to renew your relationship with him.” That caught the model’s attention. “I merely want you to be present at the preview, so that he will be forced to think of you wearing the so-called clothing he has designed.” Miranda spoke matter-of-factly. “You are under contract to Runway, therefore you will be wearing what he creates for the photo shoot, but that is the extent of the contact I expect between you. You never have to speak with him as far as I’m concerned. You only need to be there.”

Mila sighed dramatically. “Of course, Miranda. I will do as you say.” The contract she’d signed with Runway was a good one, but it did mean she was at the mercy of the various editors, especially this one since all the others bowed to her. “He is a pig though and I will not have anything other than minimal contact with him.”

I understand.” Smiling at the model, Miranda continued. “However, business has called me out of the country for the next few days, so instead of having the preview tomorrow, it will be on Thursday.” She ignored the small sound of dismay from Andrea as she stood. “Therefore you have a couple of days off.” Spreading her arms wide, she indicated the city. “Enjoy New York and I will see you on Thursday, a car will arrive at your hotel at ten am.”

Yes, Miranda.” The model’s dark hair shook as she chuckled. “I should tell everyone how nice you are.”

Miranda held up one finger and shook it side to side. “I wouldn’t if I were you… they’ll think you’ve gone mad.” Walking to the door she opened it and beckoned Roy over. “Take Mila to The Plaza.” She lowered her voice considerably. “Then you will be off-duty until I call for you on Wednesday.” She saw his widening eyes and she winked at him. “Andrea and I will be perfectly fine from here.”

Yes, Miranda.” Roy looked past the older woman and gave Andy a wave before gesturing to the model. “Do you have luggage, Miss? This way to baggage claim.”

Before they had taken three steps down the concourse, Miranda had closed the door, isolating Andrea and herself from the rest of the bustling airport.

Miranda…” She had been so disappointed to know that Miranda was going to be leaving for a few days. It had kept her quiet the entire time the editor had been talking to the French woman.

Are you ready to go?”

Andy blinked. “Um… what?”

Smiling, a genuine Miranda smile, the older woman offered her hand to help her fiancée up off the couch. “We have a plane to catch.”

We do?”

Nodding, Miranda linked her arm with Andrea’s and led her out of the private room. “Yes.” She spoke as they walked down the wide corridor. “You expressed an interest, not too terribly long ago, in ‘seeing where I grew up’. I thought that now would be the appropriate time for that,” before we marry. Before you commit to someone you don’t even know that much about.

We’re going to London?” Andy stopped, pulling Miranda to a stop. “I don’t have my passport,” she shook her head, “Miranda, I don’t have anything…”

Shhhh….” The older woman grinned. “Your papers are in my purse and we can buy whatever we need when we get there. British Runway will supply us with clothing but I thought you might want to shop… and I’m sure we’ll find plenty of suitable attire and whatever sundries we require at Harrods.”

Oh my god,” Andy put her hand on Miranda’s forehead. “You’ve gone insane.” She couldn’t believe this was happening. “What about work!?”

Dismissing that with a wave of her hand Miranda spoke in a bored tone. “Print deadline is passed. I have time before the next one. Nigel will cover anything that Emily can’t reschedule until Thursday.”

Miranda! What about my work?! I don’t have my laptop or anything!”

Andrea,” Miranda sighed. “Your editor informs me that you are ahead of all your deadlines and has agreed not to assign you anything for the next three days. You do have your phone and can check your email from there, can you not?”

You talked to my boss?” That was odd, Greg hadn’t said a word.

I made arrangements for our trip.” Blue eyes began to take on a tinge of hurt. “I had hoped you would be excited at the surprise.”

Seeing the twinkle begin to fade from Miranda’s lovely eyes made Andrea realize what she was doing. I’m being Mom…resisting an extravagant gesture. With a soft snort of laughter, Andy smiled. “Excited…” She took a deep breath and with only a quick glance around at the sparsely populated terminal cupped both Miranda’s cheeks in her hands, forcing those loving blue eyes to meet hers. “I’m overwhelmed, and amazed. You are wonderful. Yes, I would love to see where you grew up.” She touched their lips together lightly before releasing her hold. “I’m sorry I was acting like such a jerk.”

The twinkle of mischief returned to Miranda’s eyes. “It’s okay, Andrea,” she smirked, “I’m used to it.”

Oy!” Andy laughed because she knew Miranda was teasing her. The comment would have cut her to the bone had it been meant as hurtful, but it wasn’t, not anymore and that thought brought a dazzling smile to her face.

I will never tire of seeing that smile, Miranda thought and took a deep satisfied breath as she once again offered her arm to her fiancée. “Shall we?”

With a grin, Andy linked their arms together and nodded once. “Let’s shall.”

###

Andy woke slowly and stretched before returning her seat upright. As far as flying went, First Class seats weren’t bad for napping. It wasn’t a private plane with an actual bedroom in it, but still, not bad. She turned to the window next to her and gasped. “Miranda, it’s beautiful!”

A soft smile played on the editor’s lips as she indulgently watched her companion look out the plane’s small window at the approaching city below. It was her hometown, as Cincinnati was for Andrea. Miranda mused about comparing London to Cincinnati and chuckled to herself. How many times has this historic old city been torn down and rebuilt in history, or even since I lived here? Several times, she knew, new things going up, she almost snorted at that and eyed the Gherkin Tower distastefully, old things being torn down... but not the important things, not the landmarks, no matter how the city changes, those you can always pick out of the skyline. Speaking diplomatically, so as not to squelch Andrea’s enthusiasm, Miranda nodded. “It has its own kind of charm.”

The plane banked slightly and Andy laughed. She pointed to one of the relatively new parts of the city's distinctive skyline through the window as she turned to the woman next to her. The tiny, from this altitude, circle that stood on the bank of the river was what demanded Andrea's attention. “The London Eye… can we ride?”

Miranda smirked. Tourists, but spoke with great affection. “Of course, we’ll take a flight if you wish,” reaching out she stroked the young woman’s soft cheek with her fingertips, “anything you want.”

Leaning into the touch, Andy closed her eyes and smiled. “Mmmm…” Dark eyes opened to see nothing but love on Miranda’s face. “Thank you, for bringing me here.”

I thought it was only fair.” Miranda took a deep breath and dropped her hand to her lap. “After all, I’ve already met your family. I suppose it’s about time you met mine.”

Andy was stunned. Family? “Uh… Miranda? Your…”

Mmmm…” The older woman nodded. “Family, yes.” She tilted her head. “Why is that so surprising, Andrea? I didn’t, as many have hypothesized, spring from the ground fully formed.”

Rolling her eyes at that, Andy laughed. “Of course not. You just never mention them.” At all.

I haven’t spoken with many of them in quite a while.” Miranda admitted. “I did have a conversation with my sister right around the holidays last year.”

So,” Andy interpreted the Miranda-speak, “You’re going to see them because you want them to know… me?”

Blue eyes studied the young woman’s face intently. “Andrea, I want the people I loved in my old life to meet the person I love in my new one.”

Oh, Miranda…” she reached out and threading her fingers through the soft white hair, she held Miranda’s head steady to press their foreheads together, “Have I told you lately that I love you?”

Miranda chuckled, relieved at the chance to break the seriousness between them. “Are you asking or cueing a song?” Blue eyes twinkled and she responded to the question semi-seriously. “Not for a few hundred miles…”

Andy laughed. “I love you.”

I love you too.” A lump formed in her throat, Miranda knew there was no way those words would ever convey the depth of feeling she had for the smiling young woman next to her. “I do love you so.”

Whispering, “Miranda,” Andy brushed their lips together, lightly, then deeper for a long moment before they both became aware of an audience. Miranda turned in her seat and Andy looked up, they both waited for the flight attendant to speak.

uh… We are preparing to land, if you would fasten your seatbelts…”

They nodded and complied as the pleasant woman moved on to request the same action from the other eight people in the compartment.

Leaning her head back on the seat, Miranda closed her eyes and smiled as she felt Andrea’s long fingers tangle with hers, the young woman’s thumb ever so slightly adjusting the tiny dragon that rested on her finger. “It’s not going anywhere, Andrea.”

I know.”

The awe in her fiancée’s voice forced Miranda to turn her head and open her eyes. “Tears?”

Andy smiled and shook her head. “Sometimes I just can’t believe how lucky I am.”

Bringing the hand in hers to her lips, Miranda smiled against the knuckles. “You are not the lucky one, Darling.” Returning their hands to the armrest, Miranda again leaned back into her seat and closed her eyes. “I most certainly have that distinction.”

Before she could respond to that, Andy felt the plane begin its descent and Miranda’s fingers on hers tightened, painfully. A quick glance at the older woman’s tense jaw line and Andy added another entry to her mental list of things she knew about Miranda that she doubted anyone else did.

Whenever they flew anywhere, Miranda had always assumed almost this same position when they’d taken off or landed. To anyone on the outside that happened to see Miranda like this, they would see the woman in what looked like a serene state of calm. Andy knew better, she could see the tight muscles in the older woman’s neck, the flaring of her nostrils, and she had the advantage of feeling the woman’s hand in her own, the editor’s pulse beat rapidly against the hand in hers. No, there was nothing calm about Miranda in this moment. Of course the older woman wouldn’t say anything, but now Andy understood, although Miranda was fine once they were in the air, she hated take-offs and landings. It’s more than hate, Andy thought and clenched her teeth at the white-knuckled grip her fiancée had her in, this is terror. Andy watched the woman struggling with her fears and realized that she was the only one in the world who was allowed to see this, vulnerable Miranda, it filled the young woman with awe, and love. She didn’t have to make this flight, Andy thought and tightened her grip on the scared woman’s hand slightly, so she could feel the support there, She did it for me. Her thumb brushed against the little dragon ring and Andy smiled.

She’s going to marry me.

To be continued