Andy was amazed at the store, but even more intrigued by the woman exploring it with her. As they shopped, Miranda slowly let her carefully guarded persona slip. She smiled a little easier, laughed a little faster, and best of all spoke just a little more ‘English’ than normal. Andy knew that meant the older woman was relaxed and she didn’t want to spoil that mood. That meant she just had to go with the moment, not ask about the upcoming meeting with Miranda’s family. That was a subject that would surely bring all the gates that were slowly opening crashing down again.

What do you think of this one, Andrea?” Miranda held up a dress for her fiancée to see.

Caroline will love that. With a playful twinkle in her eye Andy grinned. “For you?” She grinned wider as the expected eye-roll manifested.

Of course not for me, for Caroline,” Miranda shook the garment. “She would like it don’t you think?”

Yes.” Andy moved closer to examine the dress. “She’ll love it. You know she will.” Why is she even asking? “You know her tastes better than I do.”

No,” the older woman sighed, “I don’t think so. You spend more time with her than I do.”

Taking the dress from Miranda, Andy set it aside. She placed her hands lightly on Miranda’s shoulders. “You spend as much time as you can with them and they know it.”

Miranda moved closer melting into the embrace, “Sometimes I wonder if it’s enough.”

It is.” Andy tucked Miranda's head under her chin. “Trust me, any time spent with you is wonderful.”

Okay,” patting the young woman's shoulder's, Miranda pulled away, “I think we still have some shopping to do.”

You bet,” Andy grinned. “It's been a while since lunch, shall we try the Candy Shop?”

Really Andrea...” Miranda mock-chided, “Carbs?”

Oh yeah,” releasing her from the embrace, Andy twined their fingers together as they walked. “Chocolate, the best kind! We still need to find treats for the kids tonight, right?”

Yes,” Miranda toyed with the idea of bringing chocolate to the gathering then sighed, knowing what Samuel's reaction would be. “You can purchase some chocolates for yourself, Andrea,” she gestured the direction to take for the candy shop, “but we won't take any to my sister's tonight.” The young woman's puzzled expression forced a continued explanation, “Nothing with milk or gelatin in it.”

Really?” Andy realized why. “Oh, because of their religion?”

Nodding Miranda pressed her lips together tightly for a moment. “My brother is quite observant in his faith... most of the others would probably be fine with it, but .. Samuel... he's a tough nut to crack.” She wasn't sure she really even wanted to. Although she no longer observed the rites of any organized faith, Miranda had the utmost respect for people's right to practice what they chose. She pulled herself out of her thoughts to watch her companion browsing through the candy selections.

Ohhh...” Andy peered into the display of gorgeous chocolates. “Those look delicious.”

A sales clerk suddenly appeared and indicated the display. “Would you like a sample?”

Yes!” But now Andy had a relatively difficult decision to make. Which one to choose?

Miranda tapped the glass over a selection and nodded at the sales clerk. “This one.”

Retrieving a small square of the dark confection, the girl hesitated then handed the sweet to Andy.

Thank you.” Impishly, she broke the square in two and offered one of the halves to Miranda. To her amazement, the older woman took the offering and placed it in her mouth, quickly.

Holding her hand over her mouth, Miranda spoke around the bite, “These are my favorite.”

Intrigued, Andy also tasted the delicacy. She rolled her eyes and grinned as she spoke around the tiny bite that was almost already melted in her mouth. “I should have known.” Coffee flavored. It was delicious though, so Andy instructed the girl assisting them. “We'll take five squares of that.” With a wicked smirk, Andy assured her white haired companion, “we can share, later.” A bright display caught her eye and Andy moved to investigate. “Miranda? What about these for the kids?” She held up a candy stick, like a candy cane without the hook.

Miranda nodded. “Yes, acceptable.” She smiled as the young woman then found another hard candy, and another. With a tolerant smile that grew into genuine happiness, Miranda approved each and every one as she watched Andrea behave like, well, a kid in a candy store. That's what she is, you old fool... Her smile faded. How can you possibly... Her thought was cut off as that smile that rivaled the sun was turned on her. Miranda swallowed hard, no longer remembering what her thoughts had been. I'm going to marry her.

They finalized their purchases at the candy shop and moved on to the baby section. Miranda couldn't help but notice how Andrea's face would light up when they would run across a particularly cute outfit. Or, how the young woman's eyes would get a little wistful every now and then when they looked through the little booties and blankets. Does Andrea want children of her own? It was worrisome for Miranda because she did not want any more children. She had been too old when she had the twins, a child at this juncture in my life would just be... She couldn't bring herself to think unwanted, but it would complicate things when she was looking forward to things being decidedly un-complicated in her life, as uncomplicated as life with Andrea could be.

Earth to Miranda?” Andy waved her hand in front of her companion's eyes, her own dark stare became concerned when the editor blinked and obviously 'returned'. “You okay?”

Yes, yes, I'm fine, Andrea.” It was a little sharper than she intended, being caught daydreaming was never something she liked to happen. Sighing at the hurt on Andrea's face, Miranda relented and grabbed the hand that had just moments before been waving in front of her. She kissed the inside wrist and murmured. “I'm sorry, darling... you just caught me daydreaming.”

Closing her eyes to savor the sensation of Miranda's lips on her wrist, Andy smiled. “Ah...” She opened her eyes to see intense love in her companion's face. “Good ones I hope?”

All my thoughts of you are good.”

Andy tilted her head slightly because of the unfamiliar lilt in Miranda's voice. The editor's accent was breaking through even more. It was surprising because, one, Miranda was neither drunk nor exhausted and two, even though she was alert and in full command of her senses, Miranda didn't seem to notice the change in her voice. “I think we've got enough stuff for the baby, don't you?”

Miranda looked over the selections. They had chosen several small onsies, half a dozen little outfits, a basketful of care products including shampoo and two small blanket sized towels with built in hoods. “Yes.”

The women finalized their purchases and Miranda called for the car to meet them at the same door they entered through. Once settled in the car, they began to make plans for the rest of the day. It was still early. “You didn't get much sleep last night, Andrea. Why don't we go back to the room and you can rest for a while.”

On one condition.” Andy slid closer to the older woman and nuzzled her neck. “You have to join me...resting.”

Andrea,” Miranda leaned into the kiss, “do you honestly believe that if I 'rest' with you there will be any 'resting' to be had?”

Andy chuckled, “Oh, there will be things had, resting may not be one of them though.”

Miranda let a trickle of low laughter escape her, “You're incorrigible.”

Moving to Miranda's ear, the tip of Andy's tongue traced around the velvety shell. “You love me anyway.”

Oh yes,” the editor felt her heartbeat double. “I most definitely do.”

There was practically no traffic so the short distance from Harrods to the hotel barely took any time at all. Andy held her question until they got to the room. Once they had the packages separated into which ones were for the girls, which ones for the baby tonight, and the kids treats. She'd put it off for as long as she could but now it couldn't wait anymore. “Miranda?”

The soft questioning lilt to her name caught her attention and she turned to face her fiancee, “Yes, Andrea?”

Your mother?” The thought of meeting Miranda's mother literally terrified her. “What will I say to her?”

Miranda shook her head. “Say anything you want, Andrea, but don't expect a reply.” Seeing the hurt look on the young woman's face, the editor quickly moved to comfort her partner. “Andrea, I'm sorry... I thought you knew.” She took the brunette's hands in her own and held them between their bodies. Kissing the fingertips gently, Miranda informed Andrea, “Mother passed away several years ago.” She held surprised dark eyes in her sad gaze. “I meant we are going to go 'visit' her, at the cemetery.”

Oh...” Andy made a sound, a mixture of relief and dismay. “I'm sorry Miranda.” She pulled the woman closer and wrapped her arms around her love's neck. “I didn't know.”

No,” Miranda sighed, “but you should have. I should have been more forthcoming with my family details.”

Why would you even think to?” Andy tried to absolve Miranda of this particular oversight. “How many years has it been?”

Almost thirty.” Miranda sighed, “She died when I was twenty four.”

Andy tried to wrap her mind around it. “So you were out on your own, facing your mother's death and I was...”

Not even a gleam in your daddy's eye.” Miranda's lips twitched. “I have been telling you, have I not, that I am quite a bit older than you.”

You still think that matters to me?”

A little. Miranda took a deep breath and let it go, “I know you love me.”

Nodding, Andy shifted, dropping her arms to circle the editor's slim waist. “Yes I do.” Her arms automatically slid up Miranda's back and Andy pulled away slightly to look into the woman's eyes. “You're tense.”

Mmmm...” the older woman sighed and pressed back into her love's embrace. “My history with my family is... difficult.”

With a light, chaste kiss on soft lips, Andy walked the woman in her arms backward until they reached the bed. “In.”

Only a slight eyebrow quirk showed any emotion at all on Miranda's face as she settled onto the soft mattress. Andy's finger twirling in the air caused a slight smirk, but Miranda obediently rolled to her stomach.

Andy grinned and straddled the prone woman. She leaned over to whisper in her love's ear. “Just relax for a while.” She began to stroke Miranda's back, slowly, pulling a bit of the tension from the older woman with each motion. She didn't want to add to the tension, but Andy spoke quietly. “Do you want to talk about it?”

I do,” Miranda swallowed hard and admitted, “And I don't. I don't want you to meet them with any preconceived notions. I don't want to prejudice you against them.”

I already have those, Miranda.” Andy continued her massage. “I know you haven't seen or spoken to many of them in years, that must mean something, right?”

It does.” Miranda didn't want to go into it, really didn't, but Andrea did deserve some sort of explanation. “Many of them are angry with me, for one reason or another. It's not pleasant to think or talk about them. It's difficult to talk about.”

Mmmm...” Andy continued her long strokes up and down Miranda's back. She felt a particularly large knot and concentrated on it for a moment. “Chad and I don't fight much, not to the point of not speaking.”

Your brother is sweet.” Miranda groaned as delightfully clever fingers eased the tension in her back.

Miranda,” Andy leaned over, pressing the length of her arms along the smaller woman's, tangling their fingers together. “I don't want to talk about my brother right now.” Shifting, Andrea rose enough to allow Miranda to turn under her.

Miranda smirked, “What do you want to talk about?” She was sure she had distracted her fiancee from the previous conversation and waited for the expected 'I don't want to talk anymore' comment. Her smirk disappeared when Andy, responded.

Your family.”

Andrea, I...” Her voice caught in her throat as the young woman nuzzled her ear and whispered.

Tell me about them.” Andy grinned at Miranda's small intake of breath and moved to kiss the soft skin just below the woman's ear. “Please, Miranda...” Dark eyes, closed as the soft skin against her lips convulsed. “Tell me about your family.”

Miranda was a formidable woman. Her strength of will was as legendary as her mercurial moods but, under the ministrations of Andrea's lips, that was all worthless. She melted as the delicious weight of her fiancee pressed against her. She knew what the young woman was doing and she wanted to be angry. “Andrea...”

Andy knew what Miranda was going to say. This wasn't usual. Talking during these encounters was normally not even possible, but this time Andy had questions and she wanted Miranda to answer them. She knew it upset the older woman to talk about her family so she tried to put the editor in as relaxed a mood as possible. She traced a line from Miranda's ear down her neck to her collarbone then followed it with her lips. “How many brothers and sisters do you have?”

Four.” Miranda tangled her fingers in the dark hair above her, losing herself in the feel of those soft lips on her. “Oh God.. Four...”

Your sister, Natalie....” Andy slowly began unbuttoning Miranda's blouse. “...and?”

Samuel, the oldest...” Miranda arched into the touch as Andrea's hand parted the fabric. Long fingers brushed over sensitive skin and Miranda hissed, curling around the seeking hand. “Andrea...”

Shhh...” More skin was revealed and the young woman took her time exploring every inch. “Natalie, Samuel....” Raking her teeth lightly over the lithe woman's ribs, Andy smiled against the soft skin there. “...Who else?”

Daniel... Miranda gasped as Andrea's hot mouth closed around the hardened flesh on her breast. “Daniel and Asher.”

Something in the way Miranda said it, even as she panted for breath, caused Andy to pause. “Twins?”

Nodding, Miranda let her head fall back onto the pillow. She didn't want Andy to stop, but she was almost glad for the slight reprieve on the assault to her senses. She did, however, continue to speak about her family. “Yes, twins run in our family.” Twins everywhere...

Andy idly ran her fingertips along Miranda's ribs. “Have the girls met them?”

Yes, when they were younger.” Miranda enjoyed the caresses and breathed deeply. She spoke quietly to distract herself from begging Andrea for more. “I brought them for a visit when they were five. We've been to London several times since then, but we rarely see anyone other than Natalie, and not even her for two years or more.”

Nodding, Andy smiled and leaned over, kissing the pulse point on Miranda's neck, even as her hand slid the zipper on the woman's skirt down. She continued her questioning, trying to keep the tension down. “Tell me about Natalie.”

Miranda writhed under the younger woman's touch. “Andrea...”

No...” Andy's breath tufted across Miranda's shoulder. “Not me... Natalie... tell me about Natalie.”

My sister...” Miranda swallowed against the sensations Andrea was invoking, trying to hold on to coherent thoughts. “...she didn't want to... but she had to take sides, and she was here...” Andrea's long fingers pushed her skirt down and off.

Take sides?” Andy slid her fingertips under the remaining lace separating her from Miranda. “Why sides?”

Samuel, he's very strict with his beliefs. I'm not his favorite person...” Miranda didn't really want to talk about this, or anything. This method of interrogation, although effective, was totally unacceptable. It was annoying that she was nearly naked and Andrea was still fully clothed.

In what one might suspect was a karate move, Miranda reversed their positions and held the younger woman down on the mattress. “He blames me for a lot of things that are not my fault, and some things that are.” Straddling slim hips, Miranda worked quickly to remove the brunette's clothing. Andrea's help was appreciated with lips on every inch of skin Miranda could find. Murmuring against the smooth surface, Miranda's hand slid down the young woman's side as she asked a question of her own. “Do you have any more questions, Andrea?”

Arching into the touch, Andrea gasped and tried to focus on the question. “What?” Dark eyes gazed up into the face of love. “No,” Andy smiled and pulled the woman down to her, the sensation of their skin sliding together forcing her eyes closed. She felt Miranda's fingers tangling in her hair, forcing her head back.

The older woman's lips claimed the soft skin on Andrea's neck. “Are you sure, Andrea?” Miranda smiled as a low growl rumbled against her lips.

Miranda?” Andy bit gently on a convenient earlobe and whispered. “You talk far too much.”

Laughing a genuine Miranda-laugh at having her own words returned to her at such an opportune moment, the white haired woman proceeded to kiss her fiancee, and more.

No more talking.

###

Miranda woke gradually, slowly becoming aware of the warm body twined around her. With infinite care she disentangled herself from the exhausted young woman. Normally she would never be able to shift in this manner without waking Andrea, but their activities this afternoon, combined with the brunette's lack of sleep last night had finally taken its toll. Truth be told, normally Miranda wouldn't have moved to begin with, but in this case it was a necessity and as soon as she was clear of the embrace she made her way to the loo. Finished with the immediate need, Miranda walked back to the bed but didn't lay back down. Instead she watched Andrea peacefully sleeping for several long moments. I will never take this for granted. She promised herself. Waking up in each others arms, being allowed to watch her sleep... Miranda was painfully aware that those were privileges she was being granted for some unknown reason. Privileges that could be revoked at any time.

A glance at the clock told her that they'd whiled away most of the afternoon and all too soon it would be time to face her family. If she wanted to go to the cemetery first, she should go soon. She watched Andrea for a moment longer. Loathe to wake the sleeping beauty, Miranda opted to take a shower and prepare for tonight's meeting first. Andrea is so exhausted, best let her sleep a while longer.

The first thing Miranda noticed when she stepped back into the main room was the odd noise, a sort of whimper that she'd never heard before. Then there was a rustle of sheets and the sound again followed by her own name being whispered. It was then that she realized Andrea was calling out in her sleep. Moving quickly to the young woman's side, Miranda was dismayed at the look of sadness on Andrea's face and the intensity to which she held on to the pillow in her arms. Again her name was called and Miranda lay down next to the troubled woman. “Andrea... Shhh...” Wrapping her arms around the sleeper, Miranda spoke quietly but firmly in her ear. “Andrea, wake up, Andrea...” Her name was called again in that awful, lost, voice and Miranda murmured assurances in the brunette's ear. “I'm right here... I'm here...”

Andy woke with a sob and immediately nuzzled into the solid warm form wrapped around her. “Oh God!...”

Shhh...” Miranda sighed. “Another one?”

Yeah,” Andy cleared her throat, it felt sore, like she'd been screaming. She did recall that much from the nightmare. “Was I screaming?”

No, but you did call out for me.” Miranda was worried now. When her former assistant, Judy, had held a gun on them, Andrea had suffered through bad dreams. They had slacked off somewhat, but since the hostage situation at the charity event they'd become much more frequent. The concerning part was that now they seemed to involve her. What am I doing to worry her so? “Can you tell me about it?” All the advice said talking about the dreams would often put them in perspective.

I can't.” Andy felt the arms around her tense. “I don't mean I won't. I mean, I can't... I can't remember... it's fading now.” She felt Miranda relax. “All I have is the vague notion that I was somewhere, and you weren't... you were... Oh, God... you were....gone. I couldn't find you!”

Shhh... I'm here. I'm right here.” Miranda pressed her cheek against the top of Andrea's head. “Shhhh...”

Andy blinked and basked in the warmth of Miranda's arms. She breathed deeply, reassured by the scent of Miranda's freshly shampooed hair and newly applied perfume. “I love you.”

And I love you.” Miranda shifted to look the young woman in the eye. “Do you feel up to this gathering tonight? We do not have to go.”

I'm okay. It's already mostly gone.” Andy smiled and patted the arms around her. “Just let me go get cleaned up.”

Nodding, Miranda reluctantly released the brunette and watched her thoughtfully as she moved slowly to the ensuite facilities.

###

I'm so sorry Miranda...” Andy could see the sadness in her partner's eyes as they stood at the gates of the cemetery. “If I hadn't... if we... I mean...”

Andrea,” the older woman faced her companion and put two fingers to the young woman's lips, “Do you truly regret this afternoon?” She smiled as the head under her fingers shook. “Good, because neither do I. This,” she removed her hand and gestured to the sign indicating the cemetery's new hours of visitation and a closing time, that they had just missed, “is easily dealt with tomorrow.”

Miranda... I...”

Meh...” Waving the brunette silent, Miranda smiled. “This just means we have a little time to grab a bite to eat before we go to Natalie's.”

Won't there be food there?” Andy was sure a family gathering like this would include food.

I'm sure there will be.” Miranda wasn't quite able to keep the tone of knowing resignation out of her voice. “and if my sister cooked it, we will do well to eat before we arrive.”

Andy laughed. “So you don't share that talent with her?”

Smirking at that, Miranda's eyes twinkled. “Natalie and I have many things in common, the ability to prepare food in an edible manner has never been among them.”

Intriguing, Andy was looking forward to meeting this woman that Miranda fully admitted to having things in common with, but she was still uncertain. “Are you sure it will be okay for me to be there?” Causing any more problems between Miranda and her family was the last thing Andy wanted to do.

Darling,” the back of Miranda's hand caressed Andrea's cheek gently. “You do not have to go if you don't want to, but this is not like our meeting with your family.”

It's not?” Andy didn't understand that statement, it felt even more tense to her.

No,” tangling her elegant fingers in Andrea's hair, Miranda pulled the young woman down so that their foreheads touched. “I am not seeking approval from them, their opinion will not effect me.”

You think if my family had...” Andy's question was stopped by Miranda's warm lips on her own for a long moment.

No.” Blue eyes sparkled past the white lock of hair. “I know you love me and that will not change, but your father's rejection hurt you.” Thinking about the man's reaction to the daughter he claimed to love always angered Miranda. Realizing it wasn't fair to Andrea not to give her a heads up, Miranda spoke softly. “I already know that Samuel's reaction to our relationship will be on the verge of hostile, because that is how he is, that is how he has always been. Daniel will be fine, although he won't show it overtly because he will wish to maintain a semi-amicable relationship with Samuel. Natalie, well, once she meets you I have the feeling she will understand...and she's not so thrilled with Samuel as of late.”

The information made Andy feel much better, knowing what Miranda expected was at least something. Much better than going into the situation blind. Samuel, the oldest brother seemed to be a major stumbling block for them, then she realized that one name had not been mentioned. “And your other brother? Asher?”

Miranda bit her upper lip and grinned. “Asher will adore you.” With another quick kiss, Miranda led Andrea by the hand back to the waiting car. She looked at her watch and sighed. “On the other hand, there probably isn't time to stop. Natalie lives farther away now.”

Maybe she's gotten better at cooking?” Andy tried to be a little positive about the gathering.

Mmmm... unlikely, but possible I suppose.” Miranda guided the younger woman into the car and slid in next to her. She gave the driver the address and leaned back against the seat. “Perhaps some of the others will have brought dishes too.”

Um... others?”

Of course, my brother's wives. I haven't spent much time around them at all, but I doubt Samuel would marry anyone who couldn't cook, and the last time I saw Daniel he was putting on some weight so either she's a good cook, or they go out too often.” Miranda's eyes twinkled at the memory of teasing Daniel about his paunch the last time she'd seen him.

And Asher?” Andy wondered why Miranda always left him out when she described her family. He seemed to be the one she would want to talk about most.

Asher...” Pressing her lips together, Miranda nodded. “Asher hasn't had a long term relationship in his life.” She had often worried about that, wishing her brother would find someone, but now she realized that if he was happy, then that was enough.

Can we call the girls?” Andy missed the twins, especially since their shopping excursion. Miranda's answer was disappointing.

Not right now.” The editor shook her head. “They are scheduled to have lunch with their grandmother today. I don't want to disrupt that. We can ring them later when we get back to the hotel.”

Nodding Andy agreed, she only knew James' mother by reputation, but that was enough. Disrupting the lunch would be a bad idea. There was someone else that Miranda could call though, to use this time in the car wisely. “You could call Runway.” She suggested, “To make sure everything is going well.”

The phone was immediately in Miranda's hand but she hesitated. “You sure you won't mind?”

It's your job, Miranda! Of course I don't mind!' Leaning over she kissed the woman quickly and laughed. “Tell Em I said Hi.”

Andy watched the scenery pass as she barely paid attention to Miranda's soft voice speaking into her phone. Every passing light brought them closer to Miranda's family and Andy's heart began to pound faster. Miranda's family...god... She realized that Miranda had finished her call and was now watching her intently. Andy tried to act casual. “Everything okay at Runway?”

No one is dead,” Miranda replied. “That, however, may change upon my return.”

Uh oh,” Andy's eyes almost twinkled at Miranda's obvious attempt to cheer her up. “What did Emily do now?”

Pffft... Emily is safe, for now,” the editor sighed dramatically. “Apparently the Art department have all decided since I am not there they don't have to be either.”

Ohhhh...” Andy interpreted the Miranda-speak, “Nigel didn't answer his phone?”

After my brief conversation with Emily she transferred my call and...” She just couldn't say it.

Andy almost laughed. “It went to voice mail.” She saw Miranda's eyes close at the mere thought of her voice stored somewhere in the phone system of Elias-Clarke. “Did you leave a message?” Miranda's head jerked once in an approximation of a nod, Andy licked her lips, trying not to smile. “What did you say?”

Call me.”

Now Andy did laugh, “Well then it's going to be a while before he gets back to you, Boss...” She grinned at Miranda's annoyed look. “Someone is going to have to revive him first. I'm sure he's gonna be kissing floor when he hears that.”

Oh, don't be ridiculous, Andrea. I'm not that scary!” Miranda scoffed. “At least, not to Nigel.” A wicked grin crossed her face. “Now if Emily were to receive a message like that...”

Miranda!” Shifting on the seat, Andy moved closer to the older woman. “Be nice.”

Hmmm...” Wrapping her arms around the brunette, Miranda sighed. “Nice might not be the way to go tonight,” she kissed Andrea's temple lightly. “I anticipate Samuel will be quite rude to you. He's a very...blunt, person.” Miranda reminded the young woman. “If you ever feel that you want to leave, just let me know and we will go. Promise me you'll tell me if you want to go.”

I promise.” Andy basked in the love that poured off the woman whenever they were together. Being in her arms like this was incredibly comfortable and Andy berated herself for all the time she'd wasted after Paris. With the most minimal movement, Andy kissed Miranda's neck as she closed her eyes and murmured. “I love you.” A hand was placed on her cheek, a thumb stroked her cheekbone and the voice she would never tire of hearing responded softly.

I love you too.”

To be continued