Faster than she would have liked, Andy felt the car slowing and Miranda's arms reluctantly releasing their hold around her. “We here?”

Mmmm...” Hard blue eyes looked out the window at the row of houses, knowing the blue one on the end held nearly the sum total of her blood relatives. “You ready?”

Not really,” Andy admitted. “But let's go.”

Miranda reminded her. “We can leave at any time...”

I know.” Andy smiled as they exited the car, shopping bags filled with presents in hand. “I'm glad to get the chance to meet them.”

Nodding, Miranda told the driver that he could leave for a while to get something to eat. “Be back in an hour and wait for us out here.”

The driver nodded and left them standing on the doorstep with the presents at their feet. Andy fidgeted and adjusted her dress. “How do I look?”

Miranda was shocked and she thought back to when they were preparing to leave the hotel earlier. “I'm sorry, Darling... did I not tell you how gorgeous you look before we left?” She indicated the knee length black dress. “Dolce has always suited you.”

Even if I didn't know how to spell Gabbana at first. Andy nodded, “Thank you. Yeah, I think you told me before we left, but...” she bit her bottom lip lightly, “I'm kind of nervous.”

Don't be nervous, they are just a group of people who used to know me a long time ago.” She studied the young woman's face carefully. “You know me much better than they do. Better than anyone really.”

Dark eyes widened. “I do?” Andy had always thought so, but this was the first time Miranda had ever acknowledged it.

Mmmm...” Miranda took a deep breath and spoke quietly. “They are going to call me Miriam.” She smiled as Andy gasped, “and I will respond to it, because that is who I am, to them. That is who they know me as... the person I was back then. You know me as the person I am now. Natalie has almost gotten used to calling me Miranda, though, she may revert back in the presence of the others and you, of course may call me anything you wish.”

Snugglemuffins?” Andy laughed softly at the immediate outrage in Miranda's eyes. “Don't worry... I rarely ever call you anything except Miranda and you know it.”

Rolling her eyes at that, Miranda actually smiled, which she knew was Andrea's intention with that ridiculous pet name. With another deep inhalation, Miranda slowly let the air from her lungs out and reached up, knocking on the door, firmly, but not loudly.

A young blonde woman, probably in her mid-twenties, opened the door a little to peek out. Her eyes went wide when she saw Miranda. “Aunt Miriam!” Throwing the door open wide, Dinah wrapped her arms around the older woman. “Mum said you were going to be here, but... wow!”

Hello, Dinah.” The white-haired woman returned the hug.

Pulling away, the blonde looked at Miranda closely and shook her head. “Wild...”

Miranda grinned, knowing why Dinah was fascinated with her presence and appearance. A slight twinkle appeared in the editor's eye. “May we come in?”

Oh! Of course...” Dinah stepped back into the house holding the door for them to enter. She smiled up at Andy as the tall, to her, brunette brushed past and she indicated the bags. “Need help?”

This one is actually for you.” Andy waggled the bag in her right hand. “Well, the baby anyway.”

Before Dinah could respond to that, Miranda cut in. “Where is your mother?”

Mum's in the living room, with the kids.” The blonde gestured to a doorway.

They could all hear several children laughing. Miranda kept quiet but watched as Andrea's eyes lit up at the sound and the brunette spoke. “Oh, we brought sweets for the other children too!”

Really?” Dinah laughed. “How lovely.” They entered the small room and were immediately overwhelmed by silence. All sound stopped as every occupant of the room turned to look at the newcomers. Andy moved slightly closer to Miranda, who managed to look bored and intense at the same time.

Dinah broke the silence, “Where's Mum?”

A very kind looking older woman with short dark hair and a lilting voice looked up from the baby in her arms and smiled. “She went into the kitchen for a drink.” Deep brown eyes met Andy's, studiously avoiding Miranda. “Hello.”

Miranda blinked and began to speak. “Hello, everyone.” She wrapped her arm around Andrea's waist and introduced her. “This is Andrea Sachs, my...fiancee. Andrea, this is,” Miranda indicated each person as she introduced her siblings in turn.

Andy tried very hard to remember each of their names, hoping she didn't mix up the twins. They each nodded, waved, or even smiled when their name was called, except for Samuel, he scowled. She realized that one name was missing and then Miranda's voice broke through her concentration.

Ah, and this, is my sister... Natalie.”

Andy turned to look at the woman entering the room and gasped, dropping the sacks she held to bring her hands to her mouth. Oh my God! Wide brown eyes darted from the woman beside her to the woman now standing in the doorway holding a baby. “You're... uh...”

I told you, Andrea.” Miranda murmured as Natalie walked closer to them. “Twins run in our family.”

How are you, little sister?” Natalie grinned as Miranda's eye twitched at the endearment. She held up the baby in her arms. “See one of the newest?”

Andy blinked. She looked at the woman who'd greeted them and the baby in her arms. Smiling, she spoke softly, almost to herself. “Twins everywhere.” Now she suspected that Miranda had known Dinah had given birth to twins. They'd bought multiples of everything in even numbers. A glance at loving blue eyes confirmed her suspicion, they were much too full of mischief to believe anything else.

It was Miranda's twin that was the biggest shock though. Good grief, if Emily knew there was another one, Serena wouldn't stand a chance!

There wasn't another one, of course, there was only one Miranda Priestly. As much as Natalie looked like Miranda, there were obvious differences. Both women had white hair, but Natalie's was much longer and pulled back into a bun, not styled like Miranda's always was. Natalie also carried herself differently, partially due to the difference in their sizes. Natalie was by no stretch of the imagination fat, but she was average size and that was quite a bit larger than Miranda. Miranda also carried herself with a much more regal quality and Andy knew that had to do with the difference in clothing they wore. She'd seen it many times in the models at Runway, when they were wearing the fashion clothing they were much, prouder, than when they were wearing regular street clothing. A soft, masculine version of Miranda's voice pulled Andy out of her thoughts.

Here, let me take those.”

Looking up into laughing blue eyes, not Miranda-blue but very close, Andy watched him take the gifts from the floor at her feet. “Thank you...” She hesitated for a moment before calling the man by name, “...Asher.” She heard a very quiet 'I told you' whisper from Miranda's direction. She smiled at the man and indicated the bags in turn. “That one is for Dinah, for the babies... and that one has candies for the children.”

What kind of candy?” Samuel narrowed his eyes at the bag as if it contained poison.

Who cares?” Asher rolled his eyes. “It's candy! You can't accept a nice gesture?”

Feh!” Samuel stalked out of the room. He was mumbling to himself as he left but they all heard one word quite clearly. 'shiksa'

Miranda stiffened and took one step to follow her brother when Andrea's hand on her arm stopped her.

Let him go.” Andy smiled at Miranda's furious expression. “This isn't America, but he's entitled to his opinion.”

Not when he calls you that!”

Yes, even when he calls me, that.” Andy ran a soothing hand up and down Miranda's arm. “Give him some time.”

You are far too forgiving.” Miranda leaned into Andrea, touching foreheads.

Nah,” Andy grinned, “I just don't want you to get in a big blowup before I get to hold the babies.” Turning to look at Dinah, she asked. “May I?”

The short blonde chuckled. “Of course.”

Um...” Andy glanced around, “Where is your restroom. I need to wash my hands.”

I'll show her.” The dark haired woman rose from her seat and handed the baby in her arms to Dinah. Linking her arm with Andy's, she introduced herself, “I'm Josie, Daniel's wife.” Josie winked at both newcomers and her husband before patting Andy's arm, “Come with me, luv, we shiksa's have to stick together.”

Miranda took a deep breath and watched Andrea walk out of the room with her sister-in-law. She was glad there was at least one person that would support Andrea here. Her eyes fell on her brother, Asher who was also watching them go. Okay two.

Come on in, Mir..anda.” Natalie urged her sister further into the room, pushing her onto the couch and settling next to her. “Sit, visit. Are you hungry?” Natalie jumped up, “I'll make you a plate.”

But I'm not...” Miranda's voice trailed off as Natalie was out of the room before she finished her thought. Even hungry... Natalie was going to bring her a plate of food... a plate, of food! A deep chuckle pulled her out of her horror.

Don't be that way Miriam.” Daniel sat, hesitantly next to her. “She's actually gotten somewhat better these last few years.”

Miranda's lips curled in a tiny smile. “It would be difficult to imagine her being any worse.”

Asher flopped down on the other side of his sister and laughed. “That's the truth.” He glanced at his brother and shifted closer to their sister. “It's nice to see you, Miriam.” He threw caution to the wind and wrapped his arms around her shoulders. “We've missed you around here.”

With a sigh, Miranda leaned into the embrace, resting her head against the man's. She patted the arms around her comfortingly. “We both know that's not entirely true.”

It is true Miriam.” Daniel slid closer and sandwiched her between him and his brother. “We've missed you.”

Miranda sniffed half to show her disbelief in the statement, half to keep the tears from starting. Her nostrils flared and she took a deep breath. No....It can't be...

###----------

So you have caught the heart of Miriam, eh?” Josie smiled at the newcomer and patted Andy's arm. “Good for you.”

Thanks.” Andy tried to control her pounding heart. She did not want to be the cause of any family argument. The only thing that comforted her was that Miranda had said Samuel wouldn't be happy about her presence, so she'd been expecting the attitude.

You, um... are wrong though.” Josie leaned against the wall as Andy washed her hands. “No matter how much time you give Samuel, he won't change his mind.”

Andy looked into the mirror at the woman's reflection. “Really?”

Mmmm...” Josie shrugged. “I've been married to Daniel for twenty years, we dated for five before that, and I'm always still 'shiksa' to Sam.” Josie grinned. “And he hates it when you call him Sam, by the way.”

Andy laughed. “I'll remember that.” Drying her hands, Andy asked. “Where are you from?”

Josie smiled. “What do you mean?”

Your accent.” Andy raised her eyebrows, “You aren't from England...”

Josie laughed. “I've lived in this country for thirty years, but no, I grew up in Chicago.”

Laughing at that, Andy nodded. “Thought so.” She replaced the hand towel and pulled a small bottle of antibacterial gel from her purse. She saw the quizzical look on Josie's face and just shrugged. “Can't be too careful around babies, right?” She smeared the goop on her hands as she continued their conversation. “I'm originally from Ohio, but I went to school in Chicago.”

Oh!” Josie again linked their arms as they walked back to the living room. “Have you been back since?”

No, actually, not since I graduated.”

Ah... that's a shame,” sighing at the memory, Josie's voice became wistful. “Sometimes I dream about Chicago pizza.” She looked around to make sure they weren't being overheard and whispered. “Giordano's”

Andy laughed, “I like them, practically lived on it in college, but New York has some pretty good pizza too.” Not that I eat it very often. They'd reached the living room and Andy smiled at Miranda who was looking almost uncomfortable sitting between her two brothers. She wondered if she should go intervene but then she was sitting on a small sofa and the sweetest little baby was being placed in her arms.

###

Before Miranda could ask about the aroma, Andrea returned, laughing, with Josie. Settling on the small loveseat, the young brunette smiled as Dinah handed her one of the babies. Miranda's heart caught in her throat as she watched the wistful look pass over Andrea's features. There was only one explanation that she could think of for that expression, Andrea wants children of her own. It was a heartbreaking thought. Oh my love, how will we deal with this one? It was heartbreaking, because Miranda did not want any more children. She was done with that part of her life. But Andrea is just beginning it. Asher's voice in her ear pulled her out of her thoughts.

She's very beautiful.”

Yes,” Miranda never took her eyes off of Andrea and the baby. She didn't see Natalie returning until the woman blocked her view. Blinking, Miranda looked up at her sister. “Yes?”

C'mon, I have a plate on the table for you and your...”

Fiancee,” Miranda supplied and watched the little nod Natalie gave at the term.

Well, there's a plate for each of you.”

I tried to tell you before. I'm not really very hungry.” Miranda sighed at Natalie's narrowed eyes but this time she had a perfect excuse. “Jet lag, Natalie. It plays havoc with my meal schedule.”

But you have to eat something!” Daniel was appalled that Miriam wasn't going to eat. She was much too thin as it was, comparing his little sisters' appearances he would have said Miriam was half the size of Natalie.

Yes,” Asher agreed, his eyes twinkling. “You wouldn't want to insult Tante.”

Miranda's heart did a double thump. Tante is here? No. She would have already greeted me...wouldn't she? But that aroma, it was Tante's cooking for sure. The last time she and Natalie spoke, Tante Louise was living with her daughter and son-in-law in Poland. “Where is she?”

She had an errand to run.” Natalie licked her lips. “She'll be here soon.”

Well, Andrea and I can't stay too long...” Miranda began to panic. I didn't know she was going to be here! She wanted to run. Samuel was bad enough, but she certainly didn't want to have a confrontation with Tante Louise. But she didn't even know if that would happen or not. Miranda sighed at the inevitability of the situation. She'd known exactly how her siblings would react, but Tante...her most favorite aunt, Miranda had no idea how the woman would respond to her new relationship and one thing on this Earth she never, ever, wanted to see was disappointment, or revulsion, on her Tante's face.

###

Andy stroked the baby's tiny cheek with her fingertip, amazed at the softness. “You're a cutie,” she whispered, “Just like your Auntie Miranda.” Glancing up at Miranda, her eyes narrowed at the situation. Miranda was surrounded by her siblings and the look on her face was not reassuring at all. She turned back to the baby. “Gotta go, little one.” Handing the infant to Dinah, Andy stood and rubbed another blob of antibacterial goop over her hands as she moved over to where Miranda was sitting.

Everything okay?”

Miranda looked up into Andrea's dark eyes and nodded. “Natalie informs me that there is food in the kitchen for us.”

Great.” Andy's winked. “I'm starving.” She held out her hand for Miranda. “Shall we?”

Reaching out, Miranda barely touched the hand as she rose from the couch, but once standing held it firmly. “Of course, I can't let you starve now, can I?”

As they walked, Andy leaned down and whispered. “Are you okay?”

Of course, Andrea. I'm perfectly fine.”

Uh huh...” As they walked into the kitchen, Andy spotted the backdoor and tugged Miranda toward it. She glanced at Natalie and smiled, “We'll be right back.”

Pulling Miranda outside onto the little back stoop, Andy wrapped her arms around the tense woman. “What's wrong?” She worried, “Did I do something wrong?”

No!” Miranda shook her head and closed her eyes as she took a calming breath. “No, my darling.” Daring to look into the depths of the dark eyes she loved, Miranda smiled and reached up to caress Andrea's cheek with the backs of her curled fingers. “You did nothing wrong.”

So?” Andy watched Miranda's lips press together and sighed. “Please, Miranda, let me help you.”

Yes,” The male voice sneered from the shadows, “Miranda... let her help you...”

Samuel,” Miranda's voice was tired, “We're having a private conversation, if you don't mind.”

Well I do mind!” He was angry. “Why do you insist on this... this! How can you embarrass yourself in such a way? She's young enough to be your child! You are being very foolish to think that she could ever...”

Hey!” Andy's eyes flashed anger now. “You can just stop right there. You don't know anything about me, or what I feel for Miranda...” She looked at his angry stance and sighed. “I know that you're her brother and you only want the best for her, but I love her, and she loves me.... whether you like it or not. Loving someone isn't foolish.”

Samuel was about to respond to that when a new voice flowed from the darkness.

Nicely put, young woman.”

They all looked toward the voice and watched as a small figure, carrying two sacks, emerged from the lengthening shadows. “Samuel,” she handed the sacks to the man, “Take these inside to Natalie.” She spoke firmly at his hesitation. “It's vegetables for the soup tomorrow.”

Yes, Tante.” Samuel glared at them as he complied with the old woman's instructions. Walking around the house to go in the front door, instead of going past Andy and Miranda to get to the kitchen.

Now,” she clapped her hands together in front of her, “Come here, Miriam. Give me a hug.”

Miranda walked down the few steps they were standing on and found herself enveloped in very familiar arms. “I've missed you, Tante.”

Oh, sure,” the old woman grinned as she teased, “you missed me so much you've called five times in thirty years?”

I've called more than that.” Miranda halfway defended herself, not too vehemently though, she knew Tante was right and she hadn't kept in touch nearly as much as she should have. “Natalie said you were living with your daughter and her husband...”

His company transferred him back to London.” Louise wrapped her arm around Miranda's waist and turned toward the young woman watching them. “Are you going to introduce me to your...friend?”

Miranda walked with the smaller woman to stand in front of Andrea. “She's more than my friend, Tante.” Miranda took a deep breath, “This is Andrea Sachs. She's,” Miranda smiled at Andrea and her voice softened, “she's my, bashert.” Tensing, she waited for the woman's reaction.

Well, she's certainly a sheyna meydll.” Louise smiled at the young woman.

She's more than 'a beautiful girl', Tante.” Miranda also smiled at Andrea. “She's an amazing woman, intelligent, loving...”

Yes...yes... I understand... you love her.” Louise brushed the backs of her fingers against Miranda's cheek and looked into her niece's eyes for a long moment then smiled. “You finally found the one you were destined for... Mazel Tov.”

Thank you, Tante.” Miranda's eyes closed and she wrapped the older woman up in a hug. “Thank you so much.”

Andy watched the hug, heard the words, and realized what had been bothering Miranda. She didn't know if Tante would approve or not... and it scared her. Andy thought she could count the people Miranda would feel that way about on one hand. She hadn't even been worried about her sibling's reactions, but this woman... Andy smiled as Miranda released the smaller woman. “I um... think our food is getting cold.” She glanced at Miranda then offered her arm to the older woman. “Shall we go inside and nosh?”

Laughing at that, Louise grasped the arm firmly and patted Andy's belly. “I think that's a good idea, you look as if you need it. What do you feed her, Miriam?” Louise looked over at her youngest-by-minutes niece then narrowed her eyes. “The same thing you eat by the looks of it.” She gestured to the door. “Inside, both of you!”

Yes, Ma'am.” Andy and Miranda chorused.

They were all laughing as they entered the kitchen and everyone looked up at the sound. A tension that they hadn't really known was there, lifted as they all realized Tante Louise approved of this girl, of...this.

They all filled their plates and things were fairly quiet as they ate. The children had been sent outside with their food so there was more room for the adults to sit in the kitchen and living room. Even Samuel and his wife ate, but they sat apart and ate from Tupperware containers they brought from their home. Oddly, Andy couldn't recall even seeing the wife before this moment. Andy glanced around at the others when she noticed that, but only Josie met her eye and the woman winked, so Andy guessed it was just the way Samuel was.

Miranda had to admit that even the dishes Natalie made were tolerable. She pointed to one of the selections on Andrea's plate, one that the young woman hadn't touched yet. “You should try that, it's Tante's specialty.”

Andy dutifully gathered a bite on her fork and tasted the dish, her eyes opening wide. “Yum.”

Told you.” Miranda took the last bite of her portion and then to Andrea's surprise she was sure, went to serve herself another.

Seconds... Miranda is eating seconds... Andy blinked, amazing. But not really, the brunette smiled as Miranda sat back down next to her, she looked very relaxed, more so than Andy had seen the editor in a long time, even Harrod's earlier. “They're all coming to the wedding aren't they?”

With a deep breath, Miranda nodded. “They will all get invitations, certainly.” She wondered why Andrea was even asking, “Why?”

Because, Miranda...” Andy glanced at the small older woman sitting across the table from her. “Gram Sachs and Tante Louise...” She watched as Miranda's eyes went wider than she'd ever seen, and grinned. “...exactly. They've got to meet.”

To be continued