CHAPTER 11

 

Hila was uneasy. After having learnt that the ships commanded by Aloyd Karthen had left the Dameb/Otopa system for the military base on Timar, it had been her idea to follow. She was almost regretting the decision.

Military sub-contracts were not always lucrative, but they provided a regular wage when needed. Like all freelance spacers, Hila had taken those sub-contracts on occasion, and having a military sub-contract on your log sheet gave some legitimacy to one's business.

Like all part-time smugglers, the heavy security around Timar made Hila edgy. And this time, there appeared to be more of it: more big military ships in orbit, more military shuttles going to and fro, and more security ships just sitting around… watching. Or maybe she was imagining it.

The entire planet of Timar was a restricted military zone. It was home to ship building and repair facilities, training facilities, barracks, and a divisional command headquarters among other support and ancillary services. Resupply of the planet was done via Matunos, the larger of Timar's two moons. Matunos had a breathable atmosphere and was home to the civilian population that supported the base, so that was the destination Hila, Boran, and Kamina were hoping to reach.

"What are you carrying?" the voice from the comm asked.

Kamina, who, as usual, was handling comm duties, looked at Hila and shrugged.

Hila sighed and keyed the comm panel on her side of the cockpit. "You have my registration. I've traded here before."

"Yes, but what is your current consignment? That's not specified."

"I'm picking something up."

"Can you give me a contract number?"

"It's personal."

"I'm sorry. We have a state of increased security, at the moment. All incoming ships require a contract number or personal permit from a resident. No such number or permit for your ship is on record."

Hila muted the comm and cursed.

"Problem?" asked Kamina.

"What are we going to do?" asked Boran.

Hila didn't answer her friends and opened the comm. "Allow me to call my contact, and I'll get a permit."

"Permits can take up to seventy-five hours."

"I can wait."

"Very well, please move to orbit two-one slash five-three. Repeat, two-one slash five-three."

"Understood." Hila shut off the comm and moved the Glyndwr to the specified orbit.

"Do you know someone who can get us a permit?" asked Boran.

"Yeah, Jaloc."

"Who?" Boran asked.

"Jaloc Caplan…" Hila paused, waiting for Boran to recall, but his face was blank. "He's the one I introduced you to about two years ago…"

"Oh, yeah, I remember Jaloc," said Boran thoughtfully. "But I don't want to wait here three days."

"He has connections. He can get us through quickly. And those connections may also provide us with information we need," said Hila. "I'll go and give him a call."

Hila left the cockpit to make the call. It took a few minutes to get hold of Jaloc and a further thirty minutes for landing clearance to be granted.

Once Hila had set a course for the spaceport, she turned to Boran. "I've arranged a meeting with Jaloc," Hila said to him. "It's all set for 20:00 local time, at a restaurant called The Jolly Mechanic. Don't worry; it's better than it sounds. Just don't be late."

"Me?" queried Boran.

"Yes, you. Alone."

"Aren't we going?" Kamina asked. "You know, as backup?"

"No," Hila replied. "It is better if we stay here and let Boran see Jaloc alone."

Kamina pouted a little. "We've got to eat too."

"We'll order something in."

"Why can't we go?" Kamina persisted.

"Because Boran has the relevant attributes required to get the information we need," Hila replied. "We'd just be in the way."

Boran nodded his understanding and left the cockpit to go and get ready.  

After the Glyndwr had reached its designated hangar and was powered down, Hila and Kamina joined Boran in the lounge. Both women stopped in their tracks and did a double take to see the ruggedly handsome man, with the deep-set eyes and slightly greying temples, adjusting the closure of his high-neck, dark blue suit jacket.

The younger woman couldn't help ribbing him. "Who are you, and what have you done with Boran?"

"What do you mean?"

"I've never seen you clean-shaven before," Kamina replied, smiling broadly. "And I didn't even know you owned a suit!"

Kamina looked at Hila to back her up. Hila chipped in. "I've only seen him this dressed up once… and that was at a funeral!"

Boran feigned having his feathers ruffled. "Well, I'm off," he announced. He looked at Hila. "I may be a while."

"That's okay. We'll find something to amuse us," Hila replied, giving Kamina a knowing glance.

Kamina blushed a little, no doubt anticipating all the pleasurable ways she and Hila could amuse themselves while he was away.

"I'll fill you in on what I learn as soon as I get back," Boran said as he adjusted the jacket sleeves. "Don't worry, I will knock first." Boran winked and then headed for the stairs.

~~~~

Since the gravity on Matunos was only seventy percent of the Kalenth standard, moving around outside of buildings took a little getting used to for those who visited the moon. Boran had to adjust his normally determined footsteps, so he didn't bounce right over the hired vehicle that was waiting on the tarmac to take him into Matunos' main city.

When Boran reached the hilltop restaurant, he paid the driver and paused to take in the magnificent view of the city below. The buildings were bathed in the reddish glow of sunset, and rising just over the spaceport on the horizon sat the planet of Timar itself. It looked almost close enough to touch. So close, yet so far, he thought.

As he entered the lobby, Boran felt the building's artificial gravity take hold. He was shown to a table on the far end. The table was set off from the others, offering a bit more privacy.

As Boran approached, he recognised the face of Hila's friend, who stood and pulled out the other chair for his guest.

Boran sat in the proffered chair and ordered a drink from their server.

"It is good to see you, Jaloc." Boran said. "Thank you for agreeing to meet with me on such short notice."

Jaloc was a good ten years younger than Boran. In contrast to Boran's short black hair with touches of grey, Jaloc had a mane of long, golden blond hair that touched his shoulders. And unlike Boran, who pulled on the high neck of his jacket collar, Jaloc looked very comfortable dressed in the latest fashion.

The server promptly returned with Boran's drink order. Boran took a moment to enjoy a sip his drink. Once the server was out of earshot, he got to the point. "Did Hila tell you what we wanted?"

"She said you wanted some information, but not what information exactly."

"We are interested in the whereabouts of one Aloyd, First-Class, Kikola ap Karthen. We believe she recently came to Timar with a striker group commanded by the Sword."

"Now, you know as well as I do how tight the security is on Timar," Jaloc said. "I would not be privy to the comings and goings of a particular aloyd." Jaloc nervously played with the stem of his cocktail glass.

Boran placed his hand over Jaloc's hand. The blond-haired man stiffened and moved his hand away. Undaunted, Boran leaned in and ran his index finger lightly over the length of Jaloc's fingers. "We both know you can find out that information. You just need the right inducement."  

Boran's hand slipped underneath the table and settled on Jaloc's thigh. He felt Jaloc's body respond, and this time the younger man didn't pull away.

"You think you can seduce me to get information?" Jaloc weakly protested.

Boran's fingers slowly travelled up the inside seam of Jaloc's tight-fitting trouser leg. "Are you saying you wouldn't enjoy it?"

"No…" Jaloc's eyes widened as the older man applied the lightest of pressure against Jaloc's bulge. "I'm not saying that."

Boran was pleased to feel Jaloc's erection becoming harder – straining against the fabric of his trousers. "Good."

Now that he held the younger man's attention, Boran said, "I need to know what has happened to Karthen – is she still on Timar or has she left? If so, where has she gone? Any information you can get on her will find me very grateful."

Boran's fingers moved lower into Jaloc's lap, and he fondled the young man's balls. Jaloc chewed his lip trying to stifle a discreet moan. "Okay, okay…" The young man surrendered. "I will call my contact and see what I can find out."

Boran smiled and moved his hand above the table again. He grasped his drink and finished it in one gulp. "Shall we go to your place?"

Jaloc called out, "Bill please."

~~~~

Years of sleeping on an aging freighter, which could develop a fault at any time, had conditioned Hila to be a very light sleeper, so when she heard a noise, she immediately awoke. It wasn't Kamina; she was contentedly sleeping beside her. Hila was awake enough to recognise the noise was coming from the other bunkroom.

Hila climbed out of bed without waking Kamina. She grabbed for her shirt and trousers that were cast aside when they went to bed together, which was almost as soon as Boran had left.

Hila made her way around to Boran's bunkroom and knocked on the door.

"Come in," the weary voice replied.

Boran was sitting on his bunk removing his shoes. He looked up as Hila entered the room and whispered, "I didn't mean to wake you."

"No worries," she replied. "So, how did it go?"

"The sex was good, but the news – not so good." Boran paused to remove his jacket, and then he continued to fill Hila in on the 'not so good' news. "Jaloc was able to find out that Karthen's ships left Timar two days ago under the command of another aloyd."

"What about—" Hila started.

"Karthen?" Boran finished what she was about to say. "Jaloc couldn't find out anything more than that, which means if Karthen is still on Timar then there is no way to get to her. If she has been transferred elsewhere, then there has been no record of it – at least no record that Jaloc's contact in the Quartermaster's department had clearance for."

"So, what's our next move?" Hila asked.

Knowing it was unwise to stake out a military base, Boran reluctantly decided they should return to Shibato until they got a new lead.

"So close," he muttered.

"Don't give up," said Hila. "We'll find Karthen and get Tehvay back."

"How?" He did little to mask his frustration. "The trail has gone cold. There's nothing else we can do. All this time, effort, and money were for nothing." He balled up his expensive suit jacket and threw it on the floor.

Hila sat down heavily on the bed next to him and patted his leg. "Hey, Boran Zerbilla is no quitter," she said, trying to offer encouragement.

Boran tried to rub the stress from his temples. "It's not just that the trail has gone cold. I feel like I have failed Tehvay."

Hila tried to offer her friend the bright side of things. "Don't worry. Hegemony space might be vast, but it is finite. We will find her."

Boran had a pained expression on his face. "I said that I would always look after her, protect her. Now she's a slave again… Orion knows where, having who knows what being done to her!"

Hila drew back. She hadn't realised, until then, that her friend was harbouring some dark fear about Tehvay. "Wherever Tehvay is, I'm sure she is safe."

Boran shot her a look like he was being crushed under the weight of his own worry and guilt. "You don't understand! Tehvay told me things… things that her previous owners had done to her – humiliating, despicable, vile things."

Hila encouraged her friend to get it off his chest, and she listened to Boran as he shared some of the stories Tehvay had shared with him.

"If those things are happening again," he continued, "I don't know how she'll cope. The longer it takes to find her, the more I think she might…"

"Don't worry. From what you've told me, Tehvay is a survivor. Besides, we know she's with Karthen, and the Elit don't mistreat their slaves."

Boran looked at her quizzically.

"Or so I've heard," Hila added.

Boran shrugged his shoulders. "Karthen may not abuse Tehvay, but we know someone tried to kill Karthen, so Tehvay's life is still in danger."

"Then we will redouble our efforts to find them. And when we do, Karthen will pay," Hila replied.

Boran frowned. "No. I told you, I don't want us going after Karthen with weapons blazing. We don't know what she is capable of, and I don't want Tehvay getting caught in the crossfire."

"Oh, I know what Karthen is capable of," Hila mumbled under her breath.

Boran looked at her intently. "What do you mean? Do you know her?"

"Uh, no, but I know her kind. She's Elit, and they all toe the party line – aloyds doubly so. She won't give up her property without a fight."

"Since when are you such an expert on the Elit, all of a sudden?"

The conversation was veering in a direction Hila did not want it to go. "I've been ploughing around the galaxy long enough to have learnt a thing or two about Elit – just leave it at that," she said as she stood up and left the bunkroom.

~~~~

After their return to Shibato, Boran had suggested Hila and Kamina use the guest cottage on his estate for a few days rest and relaxation. They'd been running around the galaxy for weeks and needed a break, plus it would give him a few days to catch up on business before they tried again to pick up Karthen and Tehvay's trail.

The sun was nearly at its zenith, and Hila was dozing under the shade of a large parasol next to a swimming pool. She didn't want to be dozing; she wanted to be watching Kamina effortlessly slicing through the water, but the sun's warmth and the alcohol in the drinks were compelling her eyelids to shut.

"Hey!" called Kamina and splashed water over Hila's feet, which woke her up. "Join me."

Hila raised the tinted glasses protecting her eyes and peered at the young woman. "Nah, I'll stay here and watch."

"You're not watching, you're sleeping."

"I'm sorry. It's not that you're not pleasant to watch," Hila replied. "I'm just having trouble keeping my eyes open."

"Perhaps you'd rather do something more than watch?" asked Kamina suggestively. She pushed herself up from the water and approached Hila.

The sight of Kamina coming towards her – her swim costume clinging to her shapely form, her long dark brown hair dripping water into her cleavage, the light reflecting off the water droplets in a thousand different directions – it was mesmerising. Hila forgot all about how tired she was.

Kamina swung a leg over the recumbent woman and stood straddling her stomach.

Hila grinned. "You're dripping on me."

"What can I say? You make me dripping wet." As if to demonstrate, Kamina slid her right hand down and massaged her crotch through the flimsy wet material of her costume. "Do you still want to watch?"

"Everything looks great from where I am, so yeah," Hila replied enthusiastically.

The young woman was happy to indulge her lover. Her hand found its way inside her swim costume and fingered her clitoris while her hips swayed.

Hila felt her own heat spreading through her groin as she continued to watch Kamina's seductive dance. Finally, Hila could no longer just watch her lover becoming aroused; she wanted to participate.

She rose up and put her mouth where Kamina's fingers were. Moving the fabric aside, Hila playfully sucked and nipped at the girl's clit. Kamina quietly moaned. Her knees grew weaker with every stroke of Hila's tongue. When she could no longer stand, Kamina dropped down onto Hila's stomach. This gave Hila easy access to Kamina's breasts. She could feel Kamina's nipples harden in her mouth as she caressed the firm, brown tips.

Kamina leaned in and whispered. "Let's go somewhere private, or would you like to do it here?"

Hila ran her hands up the slick thighs pinning her down. "I might like to watch, but I don't like others watching." She placed a kiss on Kamina's moist lips. "Let's go. I'm going to—"

"Don't let me interrupt you," said a cold voice.

Hila's grin disappeared as she looked up into the stony face of Tana Zerbilla. "What do you want?"

"My father wants to see you – now. He has a guest he says you should meet."

"Hi, Tana!" said Kamina brightly, looking up from Hila's breasts.

"Yeah, hi," Boran's daughter replied grudgingly.

Hila's grin returned, because she could tell that Tana didn't know what to make of Kamina. The teenager was upbeat and friendly, and much to Hila's amusement that seemed to confuse Boran's daughter. Hila half suspected Kamina did it on purpose.

Tana shook her head and stalked away. "He's in his study," she called over her shoulder. "Don't keep him waiting."

~~~~

Boran sat at his desk staring at the unexpected guest sitting opposite him. The guest stared back. The long, drawn out silence was broken when Hila and Kamina arrived.

Boran wasted no time in getting to the point of the meeting. "Hila, Kamina... let me introduce you."

Boran's guest stood up and turned to face the new arrivals.

"This is Aloyd Kikola ap Karthen," Boran said with a crooked smile.

Boran saw Hila's hand instinctively reach for her weapon, but she wasn't carrying it. She tried to cover it by crossing her arms.

"The Aloyd Karthen?" Kamina asked Boran. "Wow, I was expecting… well, not a normal looking woman. Er… I mean…"

Hila fixed a suspicious gaze on Boran. "What is she doing here?" she asked.

"She wants me… us to help her get Tehvay back," he said.

"What? Say that again." Hila looked stunned. "She wants us to help her get Tehvay back? From where? And why?"

"That's what I'd like to know," said Boran. He fixed a steely gaze on the aloyd. "Would you like to explain? Where is Tehvay?"

Hila and Kamina moved to Boran's side. All three stood and faced the aloyd, eager to hear her explanation.

Aloyd Karthen sat back down in the comfortable chair and related the story of how and why she and Tehvay were separated.

"Tehvay is on Alopan. I was ordered to give her to the Taliss family."

"Ordered? By who?" asked Boran.

"The Council – as compensation."

"I don't understand," Boran said. "Compensation for what?"

"I killed Supreme-Aloyd Taliss."

"Impossible. Elit do not kill other Elit," Hila scoffed.

"He hired someone to assassinate me on Otopa," the aloyd calmly explained.

"Yes, we heard about the attempt on your life and his death," said Kamina. "Well, some aloyd's death."

Karthen's eyebrow arched upward as she regarded the young woman. "How did you hear that?"

"That's another story for another time," Boran interjected. "Please continue."

"There were slaves present when I killed him. One of them was traumatised and had to be put down. The Council decreed that I give Tehvay to the Taliss family as compensation," Karthen replied. "Believe me, I could do nothing at the time to stop it."

That gave Boran hope that at least now they knew Tehvay's whereabouts.

"I don't believe one word of this," Hila said stepping forward to challenge Karthen.

Aloyd Karthen stood up and squared off with Llyte. "Elit do not lie."

The two of them stared at each other. Boran touched Hila's arm and nodded his head for her to back off, which she did, but not without one last glare. Karthen remained composed.

To break the tension, Boran decided to move the discussion to a less confined place. He directed everyone to an outside sitting area on the patio connected to his office – making sure Hila sat on the opposite side of the table from Aloyd Karthen. He picked up a chilled pitcher of juice from a side table and poured drinks.

When everyone was settled, Boran continued his interview with their guest. "Okay, so you've explained what happened to you, and Tehvay, but you have not explained why you are here asking us for help."

"There was a possibility that The Council could have ordered my execution for killing Aloyd Taliss," Karthen explained. "So, I revealed this to Tehvay beforehand, and she mentioned your name as someone to whom I could bequeath her, if it came to the worst."

"Worst? That would've been the better outcome, if you ask me," Hila derided.

Kamina gave Hila a nudge, and Boran gave her a disapproving look.

"You didn't answer my question," pressed Boran.

The uniformed woman put her glass down and leaned in towards the businessman, to make her appeal directly to him. "Tehvay told me how you helped her escape from slavery once. I have no one else to whom I can turn for help. If Tehvay trusts you, then I trust you."

Ever the astute businessman, Boran knew a bad deal when he heard one. Something wasn't adding up. "You're not making sense. Why would I help you get Tehvay back, just so she could be returned to you, her previous owner?"

Karthen at first looked confused, then she realised that she left out one very important detail. "Because I…I love her."

Her revelation was met with stunned looks from Boran and Hila.

"That's so sweet," whispered Kamina loud enough for all to hear.

Everyone turned to look at her.

"Well it is," she said defensively. "The evil aloyd losing her heart to the simple slave."

"Tehvay is not simple," countered Boran and Karthen together.

"I didn't mean…" Kamina blushed and looked down into her empty glass. "Sorry. I was just romanticising."

"This is crazy." Hila jumped up and leaned across the table to challenge the aloyd. "It is impossible for an Elit to fall in love with a slave."

"It is possible. I am proof."

Boran gestured for Hila to sit back down, and she did with a 'humph'.

"We only have your word for it," Boran noted cautiously. "Tehvay may say something different."

"Then help me get her back, and you can ask her yourself."

"I don't trust her," Hila inserted her opinion. "This must be a trap."

"What sort of trap?" Karthen asked Hila dismissively.

Hila had no immediate answer. The aloyd ignored her and again spoke directly to Boran. "I came here because you are a friend of Tehvay, and I need your help to rescue her. I know what kind of business you run here; some of it is illegal. Tehvay told me. I could easily call the local security forces and have you arrested. Even easier, I could order this place bombed from orbit."

"Really? Been given command of a new striker group, have you?" Hila queried sarcastically.

The aloyd eyed Hila suspiciously. "You seem to know a lot of sensitive information about me."

"Oh, you'd be surprised," Hila replied. "We know the striker group you commanded is now commanded by a new aloyd. I can also see you're now an Aloyd, Third-Class. They are usually in charge of stations, planetary outposts, or given a desk job at Command Headquarters."

"The Council voted to demote me for killing Taliss." Karthen bristled slightly. "The point is, I have no reason to set a trap for you."

"Okay," said Boran. "Assuming this isn't a trap, what do you intend to do when we get Tehvay back?"

"Run," she said sombrely. "There is no other option for me."

"Run? Ha!" Hila jumped out of her seat and stepped away, pointing an accusing finger at Karthen. "Now I know you are lying. Of all the roles for the Elit, being an aloyd is the most prestigious. The sacrifices and training are far greater than for anything else." Again, she approached the aloyd. "No one goes through all that to throw it away – not when it will bring the greatest dishonour upon her family."

"Hila, sit down," Boran said sternly.

Karthen had remained seated and composed, not allowing Llyte to bait her into a confrontation. "I told you, Elit do not lie."

Throughout the conversation with Aloyd Karthen, Boran had been sizing her up, reading her body language to see if there was any deception. He detected none. "I believe you are telling the truth," Boran confirmed. "But there is one thing you haven't addressed to my satisfaction."

"What is that?" Kikola asked earnestly.

"Tehvay. What do you intend for her – if we were to help you?"

Karthen lowered her eyes, clearly fighting back emotions. "I hope she will come with me."

"And if she doesn't want to go with you?" the cautious businessman asked.

Karthen looked at Boran intently. "I cannot entertain that thought. I love her, and she loves me."

"But is she free to choose? Will she be free?"

"Neither of us will be free."

Confusion was etched across Boran's brow.

"We will both be fugitives from the Hegemony," Karthen explained. "Yes, Tehvay will be free to choose her own path. I hope she chooses me. Without Tehvay, my life will have no meaning."

Finally, Boran was convinced by Karthen's simple declaration of love and her determination to get Tehvay back. He had heard all he needed to hear. He pushed his seat back and said, "I better go and tell my daughter to look after things again. We are going to Alopan!"

~~~~

Once again, they were leaving Shibato in pursuit of Tehvay, but this time, Boran had confidence in their success. This time, not only did he have Hila and Kamina on his team, he now had Aloyd Karthen – a very powerful ally, though still not a member of his inner circle of trust. That trust had yet to be earned.

Since they were going to Alopan, Boran thought the team would benefit from the inclusion of Marleen and her husband Tremothen – two of his most trusted associates. Marleen was desperate to help get Tehvay back. She felt some responsibility for not being with Tehvay when she was captured, and Tremothen knew people on Alopan.

Boran had a private pleasure cruiser that he used to wine and dine his clients. It had enough cabins to accommodate twelve people – more than enough for their team of six, which was too many for the Glyndwr.

Marleen and Tremothen were seated in the lounge with Boran, discussing their options for their arrival on Alopan. Aloyd Karthen came from the direction of the lavatory and approached them.

"Where were we?" the aloyd asked.

"Tremothen has a distant cousin who lives in the capital city, Taltre. He's the sort who knows people who might be able to get inside the Taliss estate," said Boran. "This is our best option for gaining access to Tehvay."

"I prefer the direct approach," said Marleen. "You could just go and make the Taliss family an offer for Tehvay," the woman said to Karthen.

"I could not…because of the circumstances."

"Okay, then we'll go and make an offer."

"The Elit do not deal in slaves that way," said Karthen. "If they want to buy or sell a slave, then they will make the overtures. Anyone approaching them with an offer to buy or sell will be ignored."

"What? All Elit?"

"Yes."

"Maybe the Taliss family are differ—."

"They are not."

Marleen's face flushed with anger.

"We'll consider it as a last resort," Boran offered the thin-faced woman with the greying hair as a way of appeasing Marleen's wounded ego.

"My apologies," the Elit officer said. "I know you're only trying to help." The aloyd glanced around the table. "I am glad Tehvay has such good friends looking after her."

~~~~

Five hours into the journey, and still five and a half days from their destination, there was no need for Hila to still be in the cockpit. The autopilot was engaged and would alert them to any deviation, yet the spacer sat in the pilot seat scanning the controls and readouts.

Kamina sat in the co-pilot seat watching Hila. "I'm bored, let's go do something."

"Do what?" asked Hila.

"Anything."

Hila turned her head to look at the younger woman. "There's plenty on this ship to keep you from being bored. There's an observation lounge, games room, swimming pool, sauna—"

"There's no swimming pool on this ship," Kamina contested.

"I just threw that in there to see if you were paying attention," Hila said with a wink.

"The observation lounge is no good at light speed, because there is nothing to observe. And the games room… well I can't play with myself." Kamina smiled. "Come with me. I'm sure we can find something better to do… together."

"It's too early to turn in. Besides, I'm busy, Kami."

"Kamina." The correction was automatic. "And, no you're not."

"This thing doesn't fly itself," the ebony-haired woman pointed out.

"As a matter of fact, it does. This thing is not going anywhere or doing anything that you didn't program it to do. Even on the Glyndwr you didn't need to spend this long in the 'pit," the young woman whinged. Kamina became serious, going straight to the heart of the matter. "Admit it, you're hiding up here, because you're trying to avoid Aloyd Karthen."

Hila's lips thinned and her eyes stayed focussed on the instruments, but it was obvious to Kamina that she had struck a nerve.

"I don't understand," Kamina said, trying to get Hila to open up to her. "What is it about her you don't like?"

"Everything," Hila replied tight-jawed.

Kamina tried persuasion to get Hila to change her mind. "Well, I think Aloyd Karthen's amazing. Think about it, won't you? She's come here alone, asking us to help her free the woman she loves, knowing that in doing so, she will be exiled from the only life she's known. How can you not feel sympathy for her?"

"Sympathy for her? She killed a superior officer. Anyone else would have been executed, but not..." An angry look flashed across Hila's face. "Her!"

"I don't know what it is about her that's got your knickers in a twist, but I like her—"

Hila cut Kamina off. "Go pester Karthen if you like her so much. I'm busy." She turned back to the instruments.

"Don't shut me down like that! I'm not a child!" Kamina got angry. "If anyone is a child around here, it's you!"

"I already told you, I don't want to talk about it. Do I have to draw you a picture?"

"Fine! Suit yourself!" Kamina pushed herself out of co-pilot's seat and stormed out of the cockpit.

~~~~

Hila thought about following Kamina. Why does Kami have to be such a kid? I'll leave it a while. It was an hour before Hila cooled down enough to go looking for Kamina. Hila found her in their cabin. The lights were turned off, and Kamina was in bed with her back to the door, seemingly asleep.

Hila quietly slipped into the room, out of her clothes, and into bed. The fact that she wasn't kicked out straight away, Hila took as a good sign.

She nestled close to Kamina's naked body and whispered, "Are you awake."

She was met with an icy silence.

"No," was Kamina's eventually reply.

Hila slipped an arm around Kamina and pulled her close. She tenderly kissed Kamina's shoulder. "I'm sorry. I'm a jerk."

"A childish jerk."

"A childish jerk," agreed Hila. "A childish jerk, who loves you and doesn't deserve you."

The young woman relaxed, turned within Hila's embrace to face her, and returned her kiss with more passion.

Hila was not really in the mood. Admitting that to Kamina after just getting back in her good graces was not an option, so Hila decided to make it quick. She skipped the slow build up and manoeuvred herself on top of Kamina. Her hips settled between the young woman's thighs. She paused briefly to coax her young lover's nipples erect. Kamina squirmed and mewled in delight, which pleased Hila. She slid further down under the covers, allowing her lips to lightly brush over Kamina's nicely toned abs as she descended.

The young woman spread her legs wider apart, allowing Hila easier access to her centre of pleasure. It never failed to amaze Hila at how wet Kamina was down there – and how tight. Kamina let out an encouraging moan when Hila eased her fingers inside. Hila ventured deeper inside, feeling the silken walls tighten around her fingers, as she slowly withdrew and entered again. Hila's experienced mouth and tongue went to work on Kamina's clitoris at the same time.

Kamina's breath quickened, and her hips rose and fell to match Hila's pace. When Hila sensed that Kamina's climax was imminent, she thrust her fingers in and out, deep and fast while her mouth sucked harder on the hooded pearl. It pushed her young lover to the edge and beyond, and Kamina's legs twitched in a little dance, as she cried out in orgasm. Hila's fingers glided in and out gently a few more times before she removed them completely. Her tongue gave Kamina's clit one final flick, causing the young woman to utter a last gasp as she sunk back onto the bed, utterly spent.

Hila surfaced from under the bedclothes. Kamina's hand found Hila's buttocks and gave it a playful squeeze as she nibbled on Hila's neck. Kamina's hand moved between her lover's thighs.

Hila stopped Kamina's hand before it reached its destination.

"I'm tired," said Hila. "In the morning, okay?"

"What's wrong?"

"I said I'm tired." Hila turned her back to Kamina and pulled the bedclothes over her shoulder.

"Hila?"

"I don't want to talk."

Kamina sighed, climbed out of bed and got dressed, leaving Hila to her brooding slumber.

~~~~

The lower deck contained an exercise room, and Kikola found some solitude in it. The mindless pounding on the treadmill dulled her feelings and pushed away the pain of missing Tehvay.

She looked down at the readout panel. It informed her that she had been running for twenty-five minutes. Not enough, she thought. She put her head down and picked up the pace.

The door opened and Kikola looked up. Kamina entered – seeming rather glum.

The young woman saw Kikola, and froze with a surprised look on her face. "S-sorry, I didn't mean to disturb," she said.

Kikola slowed her pace and came to a stop. "That's all right. You are not disturbing me." Of the other five people on board, Kikola found Kamina the most likeable, and the most honest of the group. The others always looked like they were hiding something when they spoke to her, but Kamina had an open, honest way about her. She reminded Kikola of Tehvay in that way.

"I just came in to…" she looked around the room before settling her gaze on Kikola, "to hide. But now I'm here," she said, gesturing to a punch bag, "I think I'll hit something."

Kikola started running again as Kamina went over to the punch bag. The girl's technique was all wrong, but Kikola felt it wasn't her place to say anything. She was not in command here.

After a few more minutes, Kikola stopped and dismounted the treadmill. She picked up a towel and wiped the sweat from her face. When she removed the towel, Kikola saw that the young woman was holding a cup of water out to her.

"Thank you, Kamina." Kikola accepted the cup, sat down on a nearby bench, and took a drink.

"I like that you call me 'Kamina'. Hila always calls me 'Kami'. I guess, she still thinks I'm a little girl."

"She should abide by your wishes and call you by your given name."

Kikola regarded the young woman with the almond eyes and pretty face, barely noticing the scar on Kamina's cheek, until she brushed her hair forward to cover it.

Clearly, Kamina was self-conscious about it, so Kikola didn't want to embarrass her further by asking her how she came by the scar. Besides, talking about Kamina's scar would just bring up memories of that awful day on Otopa when Tehvay was shot. At least Tehvay will not have any scars from that experience, Kikola thought, at least no visible scars

Kikola was not aware that she had been staring into her cup until Kamina cleared her throat.

"What do your friends call you?" the teen asked.

"They usually call me by my first name – Kikola."

Kamina laughed. "I meant do they have a nickname for you?"

"My family members sometimes call me Kiko."

"Kiko," Kamina said as if trying the word out. "Do you like being called Kiko?"

"I have not given it much thought," Kikola shrugged.

"Kiko! Kikola!" Kamina chanted softly in a singsong voice. "Would you mind if I called you Kiko?"

"I guess not. It changes the meaning, but not many people know that names have meaning."

"Meaning?" Kamina sat down on the bench next to Kikola. "I thought they were just names."

"Maybe some are, but most names have a meaning," Kikola explained.

"What does my name mean?"

"Kamina means 'silent dawn'."

"And Kami?"

"Kami means… that's a difficult one to translate from its original meaning. It's a kind of light, an essence, spirit if you like. A… 'pure soul'."

"Oh, maybe it's not so bad after all. What about Kikola?"

"It means 'strength'."

"And Kiko? How does that change the meaning?"

"Kiko means 'balanced breathing'."

Kamina giggled.

"My second name is Mariantha," Kikola continued, warming to the subject. "It is my mother's name, and it means 'a daughter of a leader'. My third—"

"Third! How many do you have?" Kamina asked.

"Just three forenames and a family name," Kikola replied.

"Do all Elit have so many names?"

"Some only have two forenames, and some have more. It just depends."

"How do you decide what names and what order?"

"In most families the first son will have his father's first name as his second name, and the first daughter will have her mother's first name as a second name. The first name is decided by the parents and can be anything they like. If the child has a third or more forenames, they are usually historical names from the family. My third name, Jacand, is the name of the founding Karthen."

"Founding? What's that?"

"The Kalenth Hegemony. Jacand ap Karthen was one of the founders."

"Well, I've only got one name."

"It is a very pretty name."

Kamina blushed and looked down at her feet. "I'm sorry for calling you 'evil' yesterday."

"There is no need to apologise. I suppose from your point of view, I must be evil."

"No! Not at all."

"I am sure there are others who would disagree with you." Kikola glanced in the general direction of the ship's cockpit.

"Hila is suspicious of everyone when she first meets them," Kamina replied. "She'll warm up to you, I'm sure."

"Perhaps she is right to be suspicious of me. I have done awful things. I have killed people."

"You mean Aloyd Taliss? He tried to have you killed. You did what you thought was right."

"Yes, and Tehvay paid the price for my actions." Kikola allowed her exasperation to crack the thin veneer of her emotional control. "However, the worst thing I ever did was not stand up for Tehvay." Kikola stared down at the drink in her hand. "She must hate me."

"No. I'm sure she doesn't." Kamina laid a reassuring hand on Kikola's shoulder. "We'll get her back, and you'll see, she still loves you."

The door opened. "What's going on?" Hila demanded. She stood in the doorway glaring at Kikola. "Kami, get away from her."

"Hila, it—"

"I said, get away from her."

"I didn't realise Kamina was your slave," said Kikola.

"She's not!"

"Then don't order her as such."

"Don't you tell me what to do!" Llyte exclaimed.

The hot-tempered woman did not intimidate Kikola, and to prove it she stood up and took a few steps towards Llyte. "There. I have moved. Kamina can stay put if she likes."

Llyte ignored Kikola and looked directly at her girlfriend. "I don't want you within five metres of Karthen."

"Hila, you are being ridiculous. She was just telling me about Tehvay."

"I don't care." Llyte then confronted Kikola. "And you – stay away from her, or—"

Kikola found this whole thing to be exceedingly tedious, but she was not going to stand there and be threatened. She squared her shoulders and met Llyte's glare. "Or what?"

As soon as she saw Llyte's muscles tense, Kikola's instincts and training took over, and sent the ebony-haired woman flying across the room – knocking over equipment before hitting a wall and sliding to the floor. Llyte was dazed for only a moment, but shook it off and then climbed to her feet, ready to attack again.

"Hila, stop it!" Kamina said.

Llyte ignored Kamina and charged at Kikola again; and again, she found herself on the floor with the aloyd standing over her.

"Stay down," Kikola warned her.

Hila ignored the instruction and found a foot planted on her throat. "I am no threat to you," continued Kikola. "Don't make me one."

"Kiko, please let her go," Kamina spoke gently.

With Llyte struggling to push her foot away, Kikola looked over her shoulder at Kamina. "I think it would be best if you avoid being in a room alone with me from now on. That way your girlfriend won't do anything stupid."

Kikola removed her foot and walked out.

~~~~

Boran knew that in business one doesn't become successful or make a lot of money without teamwork. If their rescue mission was to have any hope of success, everyone had to find a way to work together – if not for their own sakes, then for Tehvay's sake. It was time he made it clear to Hila and Kamina that their behaviour towards Aloyd Karthen was disrupting the harmony of the group. He had them come to a private meeting in the lounge. As soon as the two women took their seats, Boran talked to them like a father would.

"The altercation in the exercise room – I want to know what started it," Boran began.  

"That bitch had her hands all over Kami!" Hila exclaimed.

"No, she didn't!"

Hila shot an angry look at Kamina.

"Kiko is actually quite nice, if you get to know her."

Hila sneered. "Oh, is that what you were doing… 'getting to know her'."

"What does that mean?"

"You were about to kiss her when I walked in," Hila replied. "And don't bother to deny it."

"Oh! First, she had her hands all over me, and then I was about to kiss her. Make up your mind about what you think you saw!"

"Orion's Balls!" Boran exclaimed. "This adolescent behaviour is getting out of hand!"

"I'm not the one making things up!" Kamina shouted.

"Kamina, you stop flirting with Karthen," he said sternly, "and Hila, you stop acting like you're a rutting stag every time Karthen comes near you or Kamina."

"I was not flirting with her!" Kamina protested. "I was offering her some support. She's hurting without Tehvay. Can't you see that?"

"All I can see is some bitch hitting on my girlfriend!"

"Enough! What do I have to do, knock your heads together?" Boran sighed. "Kamina, whatever you were doing, or not doing, it's best if you steer clear of Karthen."

"Well, it's not best for Kiko. She needs a friend."

"Then, I'll be her friend!" Boran said, frustrated. He continued in a calmer tone of voice. "Just please, give her some space. If she wants to be social, she will be. Understand?"

"All right," Kamina said tearfully.

He then turned to Hila and pointed a warning finger at her. "And you… I don't know what has got up your nose about Aloyd Karthen, but like it or not, she is a part of this team. So, unless or until she gives me a reason not to trust her, you stop trying to provoke her at every turn."

Boran paused, allowing his words to sink in to Hila's thick skull, but her posture remained defensive. He decided he needed to be more direct. "From the boot print on your neck, I can see that Karthen could kick your arse, so you steer clear of her as well."

Hila was about to protest, but Boran cut her off. "Got it?"

She had been sitting there with her arms crossed, scowling throughout Boran's scolding. She finally unfolded her arms and gave in. "Yeah, got it."

Having won the battle of wills with Hila, Boran gave them another piece of fatherly advice. "And one more thing: if Kamina and Karthen are in the same room together don't jump to conclusions and just trust the woman you love!"

When Boran was done lecturing, he looked at them both and shook his head. "The two of you are a right pair. You are obviously crazy about each other, so why don't you start acting like it."

The two women looked sheepishly at the floor before venturing to look at each other.

"Good," said Boran. "Now you've got some kissing and making up to do. Don't make too much noise." He winked.

~~~~

After the incident with Llyte, Kikola wanted nothing more than to find a quiet place where she could get away from all the tension. Her own cabin, it would seem, was the only place on this ship where she could be alone with her thoughts – and her thoughts were always on Tehvay.

Kikola reached into her inside pocket, took out a small red-coloured pill, and swallowed it. She was still taking the diproxaline, even though it did nothing to block the feelings that kept clawing just below the surface of reason.

She missed Tehvay with a longing that felt like someone had stabbed and gutted her, and no amount of diproxaline was going to cure her of that. The only cure for that was seeing Tehvay again, holding Tehvay. The only way she was ever going to do that was to do the hardest thing of all: rely on Boran and his team to help her, rather than rely on herself. Kikola straightened up and stuffed her emotions back into the internal compartment, where they were safe from exposure.

Her solitude was interrupted by a knock on the door. She opened it to find Boran. He apologised for disturbing her and explained the reason for his visit.

"Aloyd Karthen—"

"Please, call me Kikola. My being an aloyd seems to cause trouble with your friends."

"Kikola," Boran repeated. "I feel I must apologise for what happened in the exercise room."

"No need." She gestured for him to have a seat in one of the occasional chairs, while she took the other.

"Still, I have had a talk with both Hila and Kamina, and you won't have any more trouble out of either one of them."

"Kamina is no trouble. Llyte, on the other hand…"

"I know. I don't know what has got into her. She is not usually this openly hostile with someone she's just met. I have no explanation for it – other than she is in love, and love makes people say and do crazy things."

Kikola felt the sting of truth in Boran's observations. "Yes, it does."

For a few moments, neither one spoke. It was Kikola who finally breached the silence.

"May I ask you a question?" Kikola asked.

"All right," Boran said warily.

"If you care for Tehvay so much that you would risk all to rescue her now, then why did you allow her to go to Kalenth with Marleen? It was too much of a risk for a fugitive slave."

Boran glanced down at his shoes, as though the answer to the question he had probably asked himself over and over again was there. "She was free. If I had said 'no', or ever stopped her from leaving my estate, then she would still be a slave. She wanted to go." He smiled ruefully. "Once she learnt to think for herself and develop a personality of her own, she became a hard woman to say 'no' to."

Kikola allowed herself a smile. "I don't think she has ever really asked me for anything, but if she did, I would give it to her." Kikola's vision blurred when her eyes filled with tears. "If she had just… said… something, 'Don't let them take me.', anything, then I wouldn't have left. I would have turned around, taken her hand, and walked out of there with her." She wiped away the tear that ran down her cheek.

Boran allowed Kikola a moment to compose herself before speaking. "Did she tell you how she and I met?" Boran asked.

"Yes, she did."

"Well, then you know the circumstances. Tehvay was so grateful for her freedom, she kept trying to find ways to repay me. I assured her it was not necessary, but she kept insisting. Finally, I relented and let her go with Marleen," Boran explained. "By the way, that may explain why Marleen seems a little pushy about the rescue. She carries a lot of guilt for not keeping Tehvay safe."

"I see," Kikola replied pensively. "I guess I owe Marleen a debt of gratitude."

"Oh, why's that?"

"Because if Marleen had stopped Tehvay from being recaptured, I never would have met her."

"True, I hadn't thought about it that way," Boran replied. "I have another question, and I want an honest answer," Boran added.

"Elit do not lie."

The dark-haired man chuckled. "Yes, so you've said. Well, then tell me honestly, why would you risk everything for a slave?"

"You have asked me that before. I told you, I love Tehvay."

"Yes, you did," Boran replied. "But you haven't said why you love Tehvay."

"I have never stopped to analyse why I love her," Kikola confessed. "I guess, because she is like no one I have ever met before. Everything about Elit society is ordered, structured, governed by millennia of tradition and rules. From the moment I was born, I was taught that things are one way and one way only. Tehvay was just… different… beautiful… There is a nobility about her, despite her circumstances." Kikola paused as if reaching deep inside her soul. "She challenges me to be a better person."

Boran smiled at Kikola. "That she does."

When the mission leader stood up to leave, Kikola stood as well and accompanied him to the door. "My thanks, Boran. It feels good to talk about Tehvay to someone who loves her as much as I do."

"Look, Tehvay is family to me. I love her like a daughter, so that makes you family in my book. If you need to talk, need a friend – need anything, you come to me. Okay?"

Kikola weighed up his words. Perhaps he was being genuine, or perhaps he was just being polite. Either way, it was a gesture of friendship that Kikola was learning to appreciate. After Tehvay was safely back, the two of them would need friends. "I will, thank you."

~~~~

The rest of the trip to Alopan passed quickly and peacefully. As soon as the pleasure cruiser had touched down at the spaceport on Alopan, Tremothen went into Taltre to meet with his cousin. When he came back to the cruiser a few hours later, everyone gathered in the lounge to hear what his cousin had to say. It was time to put their rescue plan into action.

"I got the names of some people my cousin thinks could be useful – for the right number of credits," said the burly man with the shock of unnaturally red hair. "I'm leaving now to go and see them."

"I still don't like the idea of you going alone," his wife Marleen said. "I should go with you."

"No, Marleen. That part of the city can be rough."

"I will go with you," Kikola offered.

"No," Tremothen disagreed. "I turn up with you, and they'll start running. They'll probably start shooting first."

"Why? They don't know me."

"You're an aloyd," Boran explained.

Kikola looked down at her uniformed body. "I could wear something else."

"You're Elit, you idiot," Hila muttered.

"Hila!" Boran cautioned her.

"Sorry," Hila replied rather unconvincingly.

Boran registered his displeasure with a frown. He turned back to Kikola. "What she meant is, even out of the uniform, you scream Elit – your bearing, your manner, the way you speak, your accent."

Kikola looked at the others, nonplussed. "Do I?"

"There's nothing wrong with that," Kamina chimed in. "Only, that it might be best if these people don't know about you."

"That makes sense," conceded Kikola.

"Okay," said Tremothen. "These people should know someone who can get us into the Taliss estate, or can get into it for us. But…"

Boran nodded at what was left unsaid. "Don't worry about that."

"Don't worry about what?" asked Kikola.

"Money," said Boran. "They won't be helping us out of the kindness of their hearts."

"Money is no problem. I can give you whatever it takes." A frown creased Kikola's forehead. "I am sorry, I didn't think. Do you require money for helping me?"

"No." Boran held up a hand to stop her. "We are doing this for Tehvay, not money."

"I'm not," said Hila. "I'm getting paid for this."

"Have you paid her?" asked Kikola.

Boran nodded.

"I will compensate you for what you have paid her."

"That won't be necessary," Boran replied.

"As you wish." Karthen turned to Tremothen. "How long do you think it will be before your cousin's friends come up with a way into the Taliss compound?"

"I have no idea. This is not something I've asked of them before."

"Then how do you know they can do it?"

"My cousin assured me that if his contacts can't, then they'd know who can. They have fingers in many pies."

~~~~

Boran was staring at nothing in particular, trying to calm his anxiety, when Tremothen arrived with some good news.

"His name is Randolin," Tremothen placed his comm unit on the table and showed him a picture. "He's a driver for the Taliss family, and he… uh, let's just say he has an expensive hobby. Offer him six thousand credits, and he'll bend over backward to help us."

"Have you spoken to him directly?" asked Boran.

"No. I thought we should do that in person."

"What are we waiting for?"

Tremothen drove Boran and Kikola in the cruiser's surface vehicle to Taltre. They left the spaceport in glorious sunshine and clear blue skies that belied the near freezing temperatures outside. When their vehicle reached the edge of the valley, in which the city was nestled, Boran looked out the window over the top of a blanket of fog. Only the tops of the taller buildings in the city were visible. As the vehicle descended into the valley, the white mist gradually shrouded the blue sky.

When they reached the city limits, their vehicle joined a slow-moving queue of traffic, and a beep from the console indicated that it was now under automatic control of the vehicle.  

A few minutes later, the console indicated that their turn to leave the main road was approaching. The automatic system relinquished control, and Tremothen took over control of the vehicle once more. He followed the navigation computer's directions and eventually brought the vehicle to a halt.

"That's his apartment complex." Tremothen pointed to a barely visible entranceway about five metres away.

Kikola climbed out and strode confidently towards the entrance. Boran and Tremothen followed her.

"Karthen, wait!" Boran called after her.

Kikola stopped and turned around. "What is it?"

"Slow down. Not so… Just walk easy. It'll draw less attention."

"I walk the way I walk. I cannot change that."

"Try. Follow me. Walk at my pace. Try and walk like me." Boran demonstrated a more casual gait.

"Why?"

"Didn't they teach you subtlety in aloyd training?"

"Do you mean injuring to cause pain and not lasting damage?"

"Not quite," Boran shook his head. "Just follow me. Please." He paused as he moved ahead of her. "Was that a joke? No, never mind."

The building was dilapidated and seedy. The foul odour in the lobby was nauseating, and walls and doors were grimy and in disrepair. They found the lift was out of order, so Boran, Kikola, and Tremothen had to climb a narrow staircase to the third floor. They came across someone who had fallen asleep on the stairs. They couldn't tell if the person lived there or had just come in from the cold, and they didn't stop to ask.

Tremothen led the way until they reached Randolin's flat. Boran stepped forward, raised his hand up to knock, but stopped short of actually knocking. The door was smeared with what looked to be some kind of putrid brown substance with mould growing on it. Boran was concerned about what terrible disease he might catch if he touched it. He eventually located a relatively clean spot and brought the side of his fist down on the door three times.

Sounds of movement were heard behind the door, then a voice called out. "Who is it?"

"A friend," said Boran.

A security device over the door was activated. "Don't recognise you. Go away."

Kikola started to raise her leg to kick in the door.

Boran pushed her knee down. "I said 'subtlety'," he whispered.

He held up a pile of credits to the security camera. "You might recognise this."

There was a lengthy pause before the door slid open. Randolin was a man of average height, but muscular. He filled the gap of the opened door, making it clear that he still didn't trust them.

"Now, why would you be flashing that kind of money at my door?" Randolin asked Boran.

"I think that's something we should discuss in private. May we come in?"

Randolin's eyes flicked around at the three of them. "He can wait out here," he nodded at Tremothen.

"That's fine," said Boran.

Randolin relaxed, took half a pace back, and opened the door wider.

Before Boran could take step, Kikola moved. He saw Randolin fly backwards, and within a heartbeat, Kikola was standing over the prone man with an IPB pointed at his head. Boran could tell from the design of the weapon that it wasn't Kikola's. He must have been hiding it behind his back. How did I miss that? I used to be smarter!

"Was that any way to treat your guests?" Boran asked Randolin, recovering quickly.

"A man has a right to protect himself!"

"We are not here to harm you," he assured Randolin.

Randolin started to get up, but stayed on the floor when Kikola activated the trigger release.

Boran glanced between Randolin, Kikola, and the weapon in her hand. "I said we weren't here to harm him," he pointedly said to Kikola. "That means you can let him up now."

Kikola stepped back and allowed Randolin to rise slowly to his feet.

"Here. One thousand credits – just to show we are all friends." Boran tossed a small pouch of money at Randolin.

The well-built man caught it and stared at it as if it was going to bite him.

"Let's sit down and talk." Boran noted the table with four unmatched chairs in the opposite corner of the flat. "There's more where that came from, if you do what we say."

"How—" Randolin croaked. He coughed and started again. "How much more?"

"Another five thousand."

"What do I have to do?"

Boran's smiled widely. "Sit and listen," he said, and extended an arm towards a nearby chair.

~~~~

Kikola, Boran, Marleen, and Tremothen were seated around the table in the dining area, with plates of half-finished food spread out before them. No one had much of an appetite – except for Kamina and Hila. Kamina had taken a couple of plates piled with food back to the cabin she shared with Hila and returned them empty an hour later.

The plan had been set, and now all they had to do was wait. They knew Randolin couldn't get Tehvay straight away, but the days crawled agonisingly by, and still no word from him. Anxiousness and uncertainty were beginning to wear on everyone – especially Kikola.

"I think we need a plan B," said Marleen. "What are our options?"

"Maybe our aloyd friend can organise an air strike," replied Tremothen.

Kikola glared at him. "I will not attack an Elit household!"

"Didn't you already kill one of them? What's a few more?"

"That was different," Kikola said. "He tried to have me killed, and he hurt Tehvay in the attempt."

"And by keeping her in slavery, they are not hurting her?" Marleen asked testily.

"Not physically," Kikola replied.

"Physical scars heal quickly," said Boran wearily. "Emotional and psychological scars take longer to heal. And the longer Tehvay remains there, the worse it must be for her."

Marleen was still pushing for a Plan B. "So, we will give Randolin one more day. If he hasn't contacted us by this time tomorrow, then we confront them directly."

"I told you that will not work." Kikola tried not to be too impatient with her.

"I don't care! We have to do something, even if we fail trying." Marleen's frustration was definitely showing.

"You cannot win a battle by making a futile gesture that will result in failure," Kikola countered.

"This is not a battle!" Marleen exclaimed. "This is Tehvay's life!"

"All right, that's enough," Boran said. "Bickering amongst ourselves is not helping the situation. We will give Randolin twelve more hours, and if we haven't heard from him by then, we will come up with a Plan B—"

Tremothen's comm unit suddenly beeped. His face broke into a smile as he read the message. "It's Randolin, he's got Tehvay!" Kikola and Boran didn't wait to hear the details; they raced to be first to the vehicle.

Chapter 12

Author's Page

Back to the Academy