CHAPTER 6

 

Hila felt uneasy as she stared out of the cockpit window at Kalenth. The capital planet of the Hegemony was not a place a freighter captain, who bends the rules on occasion, tended to frequent. However, she was there for a good reason: money.

"Ident and landing permit confirmed," the voice on the comm announced.

"Thank you," said Kamina brightly.

Kamina liked talking to people, so Hila was more than happy to let her handle the comm.

"Please hold station and wait for clearance to land."

"How long?"

"Pardon?"

"How long do you think we'll have to wait?"

"I don't know. I've passed your request to traffic control. They'll contact you when they have a corridor for you."

"Okay. What's your name?"

"Err… what? My name?" the man sounded confused.

"Yes, I'm Kamina."

"Um… hi. I'm Stenin. I really—"

"Nice to meet you, Stenin. Have you been doing this job long?"

"A while. Look, I really can't talk. I have other ships requesting landing permission."

"Oh sorry, mustn't get you into trouble. Bye, Stenin."

"Yes, bye… Kamina."

The comm fell silent.

"He sounded nice," said Hila. "You should call him back and ask him out on a date."

Kamina turned in her chair to look at Hila. "No thanks. He's probably got a face like a baboon's arse."

"You're transmitting," Hila nodded at the comm panel.

A horrified expression flashed across Kamina's face and she turned to the panel. "Oh, no!" Kamina checked the comm settings. "No, I'm not!"

Hila smirked.

"Bitch!"

Suddenly, the comm burst to life causing Kamina to jump.

"This is Area Four Traffic Control to freighter Glyndwr. Your landing corridor has been assigned. The vector is being transmitted to your navigation computer. Ensure the flight path is programmed correctly before commencing your descent. Deviation from the assigned path will result in countermeasures being deployed against you. Enjoy your stay."

"Will do. Thanks," replied Kamina.

Hila turned her attention to the navigation computer and hit a button. "Strap in, we're going down."

The ship gave a slight lurch. Soon after, the planet got very large outside the window. Streaks of plasma flew past observation windows as the freighter hit the planet's outer atmosphere, and the ship began to shudder and creak.

"I hate this bit," moaned Kamina.

Hila looked at her and smiled. "It's not this bit you need to worry about."

"I know, it's the contact with the ground that will kill us."

After a while the plasma stopped and a dark-blue sky filled the window. It gradually became lighter and a few clouds started flitting by.

Suddenly the ship violently rocked. "Hold on," said Hila. "Turbulence." The seasoned freighter captain disengaged the autopilot and held tight to the steering controls trying to keep the ship on course.

"Thanks for the advanced warning," replied Kamina, as she held tight to the arms of her seat.

"No problem. I wouldn't want you to lose your lunch all over my cockpit."

The two rode out the turbulence, as their ship descended to a lower altitude where the crosswinds weren't as unpredictable. Mindful of the warning issued by the control tower not to deviate from the assigned flight path, Hila made the necessary manual adjustments to maintain the course they were given.

The Glyndwr continued a controlled descent. When it reached the lower atmosphere below the cloud base, Hila expected to see the lights of the spaceport just below; instead a rainstorm made visibility difficult. There was no relaxing – not until the ship's landing gear deployed and they touched down safely.

"Local time will be 22:14 when we land," said Hila. "Too late to do anything by the time we clear customs."

"That's okay," Kamina replied. "After this landing, I want an early night anyway."

~~~~

For the second time within a month, Kikola found herself in the office of the Council Member for Military Operations, Ambra ap Lentol. The last time Kikola was in this office, it was to receive her commission and her first assignment. Having completed that assignment, Kikola was back on Kalenth to report on its success.

The office was large and starkly decorated in a monochromatic colour scheme of dark greys and black, the preferred colours in The Civic and among the military. Kikola approached the woman seated behind the imposing desk that dominated the room. She presented her written report to Councillor Lentol and stood at attention.

Ambra scanned the report, and then looked up at the Aloyd, First-Class and smiled. "It all seems straightforward. No issues." She pointed to a chair on the opposite side of her desk. "Have a seat and tell me, in your own words, how you think your first assignment went."

Kikola sat stiffly in the chair and gave a verbal account of her mission on Gatlor with detached efficiency.

"Well done, Aloyd Karthen.

"Thank you, Councillor Lentol," replied Kikola. "May I speak freely?"

"You may."

"It was an easy mission. I don't mean to sound… What I mean is, that it hardly warranted the response of an aloyd and striker group. It was just a small group of subversives."

"True," replied the blonde-haired woman behind the imposing desk. "However, a trickle of water can become a raging torrent if left unchecked, and we wanted to send a message that dissention, of any kind, will not be tolerated."

"Yes, Councillor."

"Don't worry. There will be bigger, more important missions for you." Ambra put the written report in her desk's centre drawer. "You might not have to wait too long either." Ambra handed the aloyd a data chip. "Here's some background information on your next assignment."

Kikola took the data chip and secured it in her jacket pocket without further comment.

"Are you not curious as to why you are going to Otopa?" asked Ambra.

"I was told the mission details would be revealed on arrival, Councillor."

Ambra chuckled quietly. "You are well trained, Aloyd Karthen. Obedient and loyal."

Like a slave, thought Kikola."Thank you, Councillor Lentol."

Ambra's smile widened. "Look at us! 'Aloyd Karthen' and 'Councillor Lentol'! It doesn't seem that long ago when we were kids calling each other 'Kikola' and 'Ambra'." The smile faded. "I miss those times," she added sadly.

Kikola shrugged her shoulders. "Time passes," she said.

"It does, but that does not mean we can't rekindle our friendship."

Friendship? Our families knew each other, and we spent some time together, but we were hardly friends. Kikola refrained from voicing her take on the relationship.

"I have a place in the city – a penthouse apartment. Beautiful view, especially this time of night with all lights. Why don't you come back with me, Kikola? Have a drink. Talk about old times. Talk about new times!"

"I am unable to at this time. I have to take a shuttle to the family estate very early. I will need to get some sleep."

"Another infamous Karthen party?" asked Ambra.

"A small gathering," said Kikola.

"Another time, perhaps."

"Perhaps." Kikola stood up. "If that is all, Councillor?"

Ambra came around her desk and gently took hold of Kikola's elbow, as she walked Kikola to the door.

"Good night, Aloyd. Good luck on the mission."

"Thank you."

Kikola walked away from the councillor's office thinking back to her childhood and the few times she and Ambra had occasion to spend time together. It didn't elicit any particularly good memories, or bad. She turned her mind to the upcoming party and visiting her home with Tehvay. For some reason, that made her stomach flutter.

~~~~

The female customs officer walked slowly around the cargo bay, double and triple checking the crates against the shipping manifest. Hila casually leaned up against one of the crates while waiting for the customs officer to complete her inspection. The freighter captain was in no particular rush for the woman to finish. She was enjoying the view – watching the tall, slender blonde-haired woman in the tight-fitting, dark blue jumpsuit bending over to read the shipping labels on the bottom crates.

The officer's name was Nemeru. Hila had been surprised to see her on Kalenth. She'd had dealings with Officer Nemeru on Shibato in the past and knew the officer was open to the odd bribe.

Officer Nemeru became aware of Hila's gaze and turned around to address the captain of the Glyndwr.

"Okay, what are you hiding, Llyte?" she asked.

"Nothing. This is all legit."

"Oh? Since when?"

"This trip is strictly above board. I'm not stupid enough to try and bring illicit goods to Kalenth."

"Shame," Nemeru said coyly. "I transferred here a few months ago. The pay more than makes up for the lack of bribes, but your bribes were always a little bit… special."

Hila knew what Nemeru was hinting at, and she had nothing better to do until morning. "This is in no way a bribe, but we could call it – 'for old times' sake'. When do you finish your shift?"

"In fifteen minutes," the customs officer replied hopefully.

"Okay, then come back here in twenty minutes."

"What about your young crew member?"

"Kami? What about her?"

"Kami, you say." Nemeru mused aloud. "Pretty name. Pretty girl."

"Yes, on both counts," Hila replied warily.

"I don't suppose she would be willing to join us in a threesome?"

"No!" Hila vehemently rejected the suggestion.

The blonde woman blanched at Hila's outburst. "I'm sorry. You want her all to yourself. I can understand that. She is cute, but I didn't think she would be your type."

"It's not like that." Hila told the customs officer. "Kami is sweet, feisty, and bold – too good for the likes of me." There was a hint of disappointment in the way Hila said it that gave her pause. Hila hadn't thought of Kami as 'pretty' before – at least not in that way, not as an object of desire. Why would she think Kami and I were involved? Did Nemeru fancy Kami? Hila didn't like wearing that thought.

"Hila…"

Hila musings ended. "I'm sorry. What did you say?"

"So, are we on?" asked Nemeru. "Just the two of us, I mean," she added.

Hila shook off her thoughts of Kami and focussed her thoughts instead towards a night of unbridled sex with the very willing and desirable security officer. The usually aloof freighter captain allowed a smile. "Of course."

A smile returned to the blonde woman's face. "Great! I will see you back here in twenty."

"Ahem." Hila pointed at the shipping order still held by the customs officer. Nemeru quickly placed her tag on the form and handed it back to Hila.

Hila allowed her fingers to slowly glide over the contours of Nemeru's hand before taking the touch screen device from her. She could sense the woman's pulse quicken. Hila was very practised in the art of seduction – both male and female – though she preferred females as sex partners. Women were more adventuresome and sensual, and much more willing to give as good as they get.   

"Thanks. Don't be late. The customer will be here at 07:00 to collect their goods. I'd like to get some sleep before then."

"Don't worry, I'll wake you up on time." The officer winked.

 

~~~~

 

Kamina suffered a sleepless night in her bunk. Her stomach was all tied up in knots, and not just from the effects of mild motion sickness from the landing. She had to listen to the sounds of Hila 'entertaining' someone all night. The bulkhead between their two bunkrooms was not thick enough to dampen the muffled sounds of female voices, giggling and moaning for hours. Just when Kamina thought they were through for the night, the moaning and giggling would start up again. If there were such a place as Hell, thought Kamina, this is it.

It was after 04:30 when all became quiet in Hila's room. By then, Kamina was frustrated, annoyed, and hungry. Desperate not to wake up Hila and the tart she had in bed with her, Kamina quietly got up out of her bunk, put on an old, faded black jumper and trousers, and stealthily closed the door behind her. She turned right and padded down the hallway towards the galley.

Kamina programmed the food dispenser to make her a peppermint tea. She needed something to help settle her stomach before the workday began. She took her drink to the cockpit where she could enjoy the Kalenth sunrise, which lit up the gathering rain clouds a vivid red.

She didn't know how long the stop on Kalenth was going to be, but as far as Kamina was concerned, she couldn't wait to get off this planet. The sooner Hila concluded the business that brought them to the Hegemony's founding planet, the sooner they could leave, and then she wouldn't have to share Hila with anyone else.

Kamina's ruminations came to an end, as the clouds finally got thick enough to obscure the sun. She headed for the galley, only to see Hila's guest enter the lounge at the same time as she did. By the uniform, she could tell the woman was a customs officer, and in fact looked vaguely familiar.

"Oh, good morning… Kami, right?"

"Kamina," she corrected the woman tersely.

"Kamina. I'm Nemeru. Sorry to disturb. I was just leaving."

"Don't let me stop you," Kamina said dismissively.

Nemeru must have sensed the hostility coming from the younger woman and gave Kamina a cordial smile. "You are one lucky girl."

Kamina folded her arms. "Lucky… that's a laugh."

"Yes, lucky, because Hila really cares about you. Me… well, it's just a physical thing, I know that. But you… I've never known her to be enamoured with anyone before. So, don't be jealous. If anyone should be jealous, it's me."

Kamina was confounded by what the customs officer was saying to her. Kamina dropped her arms. "Hila isn't 'enamoured' with me. I'm just the stray she felt sorry for… the hired help." Kamina turned away, lest the security officer saw her tear up in frustration.

"Oh dear. You mean the two of you aren't… she hasn't."

"No," Kamina could not hold back the tears.

Nemeru shook her head. "What a pair the two of you make. Well, let me give you some advice. Hila is a 'now' person. She doesn't think about the past or the future. Right now, she's into you, but doesn't know it. So, if I were you, I'd go and jump in her bed right away, because this time tomorrow she may not want to know it."

Kamina said nothing and kept her back turned.

After a few moments the officer spoke again. "Well, that's my advice. See you around."

Once Kamina was sure that Nemeru was gone, she ran back to her bunk.

 ~~~~

Thirteen thousand kilometres away from Ralkatar, Kikola was arriving at the Karthen estate, which was baking in afternoon sunshine. It was an oasis in the desert. The immaculate green lawn stood out in stark contrast from the light golden sands that surrounded it for several hundred square kilometres. The house at the centre was white, a square with rounded towers at the four corners and a central courtyard dominated by an ornamental pond and fountain.

As the shuttle circled overhead in preparation of landing, Tehvay looked down in wonder. "You grew up here?"

"Yes."

"I've never seen anything like it. It's beautiful. You are so jammy."

"Jammy?"

"It's Shibatoan slang for lucky," Tehvay replied.

Kikola had never considered herself fortunate to grow up here. It was too hot outside, too cold in the air-conditioned interior, and the sand from the surrounding desert found its way into everything.

"I prefer our third holiday residence. The climate is much more agreeable."

"Third holiday residence? How many do you have?"

"Seven – on Kalenth. The family has several more on other planets."

Kikola landed the shuttle with the barest of jolts.

"Forgive me for saying so, but that's an obscene number of homes."

Kikola pondered her words for a moment. "You might be right. Growing up, I knew no different, because every other family I knew was the same."

The door to the shuttle opened and the heat blasted in from outside.

"Whoa!" Tehvay gasped. "I think my insides just melted."

Kikola suppressed a chuckle, but could do nothing about the smile that curled her lips. "You get used it."

Kikola stepped out, and Tehvay followed at a respectful distance.

Halfway from the shuttle pad to the house, Kikola noticed two figures walking towards them. One, holding a parasol to shade the other, wore the pale blue uniform of the slave. The other, her mother, wore a simple, but elegant white, thigh length, sleeveless dress. The elder Karthen smiled. "Kikola, I am so glad you could take time to join us this evening."

"It was fortunate that I was on Kalenth for a debrief."

Kikola's mother tugged at the sleeve of Kikola's uniform. "You cannot wear this to the party. When we get to the house, go to your room and put something more appropriate on."

"Yes, mother."

"I see you have brought your slave. How is it working out?"

"It is performing well."

As they walked to the house, Kikola's mother filled her in on the latest family news. On entering the house, an icy blast hit them. Kikola paused at the foot of a large staircase and turned to her mother. She noticed Tehvay shivering.

"May I have a hot drink?" Kikola asked.

Mariantha ordered the slave with the parasol to have a hot beverage immediately brought to her daughter. When the drink was served, Kikola took a sip and then passed it to Tehvay to hold; this way Tehvay could at least warm her hands.

"I will go to my room and change."

"Don't be too long, dear."

Kikola headed up the huge staircase, and Tehvay followed.

"You must need a map to get around here," Tehvay whispered loudly as they turned yet another corner. "How can there be this many corners in a house? House! 'Palace' is a better description."

"Shh," Kikola silenced Tehvay, as the aloyd heard voices coming from the far end of a very long corridor.

Standing almost directly across from her bedroom door were two people – a teenage boy and girl who Kikola recognised as cousins – and a young male slave. The slave had his back pressed to the wall and his trousers around his ankles. He looked close to tears.

"Sorenen, what's going on?" Kikola addressed the fifteen-year-old boy sharply. She positioned herself between the slave and her cousins. "Pull them up," she instructed the slave before turning her attention to her relatives.

"Mina had never seen a naked male before, so I thought I would show her."

The thirteen-year-old girl smiled shyly and blushed.

Sorenen leered at Tehvay and said, "I have never seen a naked female; maybe your slave could—"

Before he could finish the sentence, Kikola had pinned him to the wall by his throat. Kikola glared at the terrified young man trying to calm her own anger. Mina was paralyzed with fear and would not stop whimpering.

"We are Elit," she said through gritted teeth to the both of them. "We have the responsibility of the entire Hegemony in our hands. We must set a good example, and that does not mean we treat the nude form as something lewd and base. Even though slaves may be the lowest caste, we Elit do not use our power and position to abuse them. We treat them respectfully. Do you understand, Sorenen?"

He nodded as best he could, and Kikola released her grip.

Kikola regarded at the girl sternly. "Mina?"

"Yes," the girl acknowledged through the sniffling.

"Now, apologise."

Sorenen rubbed his neck and looked as though he was about to protest, but thought better of it. He turned to the slave and said, "You have my apologies."

"Now, both of you be on your way. Rest assured, I will inform your parents of your transgressions."

Sorenen and a tearful Mina ran off. Kikola turned her attention to the embarrassed slave, who was adjusting the fit of his blue trousers. "Are you all right?" The aloyd asked the male slave. She glanced at Tehvay, who stood next to the male slave offering a supportive hand on his shoulder. The question was meant for her as well.

"Yes, Mistress."

"Have they done anything like that before?"

"No, Mistress."

"Carry on with your duties."

"Thank you, Mistress." The slave bowed his head to Kikola and walked away.

Kikola turned to Tehvay. "I apologise for my cousin's behaviour. Sorenen will not soon forget this lesson." 

 

~~~~

 

The aloyd's bedroom was sparsely decorated. Tehvay thought that there was no personality to it: more barracks room than bedroom. The only thing adorning the walls was a single painting of a young girl resembling Aloyd Karthen. "Is this the portrait your cousin, Trin'hale, painted of you as a child?" she asked.

"Yes," the aloyd remarked simply.

Tehvay examined it more closely. She was amazed at how severe the young girl in the painting looked.

Tehvay glanced at her owner and saw nothing in the image of the young Aloyd Karthen that hinted at the striking dark-haired woman she had grown up to be.

After helping her owner remove her boots, Tehvay went straight to the wardrobe to store them, and found a black dress hanging up inside. In fact it was the only dress hanging up inside. As she reached in, Tehvay noticed a garment hanging up that seemed out of place in an adult's bedroom closet. "What is that?" Tehvay enquired. "May I?"

Aloyd Karthen obliged and pulled it off the rack for Tehvay to examine. It was a replica aloyd uniform made of a soft fabric. It was exactly like the real thing right down to the gold thread around the collar, only it was made for a child. "Was this yours?"

"Yes," said the aloyd. "My father had it made for me just before he…left."

"Left? Where did he go?"

"He's dead. He was on a diplomatic mission and his ship went missing in the Graelands."

Tehvay felt a twinge of empathy for the child who had lost her father so young. Tehvay never knew her parents, never had a family to call her own. How sad for both of us, she thought.

Aloyd Karthen took the black dress that was hanging in her wardrobe and tossed it on the bed. The aloyd started unfastening the top closure on her uniform jacket.

"Allow me." Tehvay took over from the aloyd and finished unfastening the jacket.

The aloyd shrugged the jacket off her shoulders and Tehvay pulled it off the rest of the way.

"That was a nice thing you did before," said Tehvay, as she reached for a clothes hanger from the wardrobe.

"What did I do?"

"You stopped those children from humiliating that young male slave." Tehvay was met with her owner's trousers when she was finished hanging up the jacket.

"I told you, the Elit do not mistreat their slaves," the aloyd replied.

The blonde slave draped the trousers over her arm. "Maybe some do, and you just don't know about it. Maybe there are good slave owners out there, and I've just been unlucky until now."

"You consider yourself lucky to be my slave?"

"Well, being a slave is not so great, but as owners go, I've not had better."

Aloyd Karthen turned her head away.

Is she embarrassed by my compliment? thought Tehvay.

Tehvay wanted to fill the silence, but she thought it was better to say nothing more. She proceeded to fold the uniform trousers and placed them neatly in one of the wardrobe drawers.

When Tehvay straightened up and turned around, her owner was right behind her. Their eyes met, and this time the aloyd did not look away.

"I wish things could have been different for you," the aloyd said. "That you were never a slave."

Tehvay recognised Aloyd Karthen's sincerity, as if she really felt compassion for Tehvay, maybe even cared. Tehvay wanted to reach out and give Aloyd Karthen a grateful hug, but she was afraid – afraid that such a gesture would be rejected by the aloyd and all the progress they had made would be destroyed. 

"I want you to stay here while I attend the party tonight," said the Elit woman.

"Have I displeased you?"

"No, not at all. It's just that I…" She paused. "It's a family function. There will be household slaves to do the serving."

Tehvay looked at the aloyd standing in her underwear, wondering if her forwardness had cost her the freedoms Aloyd Karthen had allowed her. "But it is my job to attend you."

"You'd be… You would be treated as any other slave," said her owner, "and…" She paused; a concerned frown creased her brow. "…and that would bother me greatly."

There was another moment of awkward silence, with neither knowing just what to say. Tehvay took the dress the aloyd was to wear to the party and held it up.

"Shall I help you into the dress, Aloyd Karthen?"

"No, I can manage… but thank you." Aloyd Karthen slipped the dress over her head, and it slid down her body like liquid.

Tehvay had never seen her owner in anything other than a uniform, or naked. The thigh-length, tight-fitting black dress showed off the aloyd's lithe, toned figure in a way Tehvay had never appreciated before.

"Wow, you look amazing!" Tehvay exclaimed, quite forgetting herself. "Oh, Aloyd Karthen, please forgive… I didn't mean…I…"

The aloyd did not appear concerned by the compliment. In fact, she smiled, as if welcoming it. Tehvay liked to see her owner smile. She did it so rarely.

"Well, I must be going," said the aloyd. "I at least have to make an appearance. I will be gone for a few hours. There is a vid player in there if you get bored." She pointed to the wardrobe.

When Aloyd Karthen was gone, Tehvay took the opportunity to look for the vid player. As she retrieved it from the drawer, Tehvay thought about the day she and Aloyd Karthen had met – how severe and unemotional she seemed then – a far cry from the woman in the black dress who didn't want to suffer Tehvay being treated like any other slave, and who didn't want Tehvay to be bored while she was at the party.

Tehvay powered up the player and selected the first programme in the menu. It was an historical drama set in the early days of the Hegemony. The story followed the exploits of a woman struggling to start a colony on a newly found world and her battles with the Elit assigned to be governor. There was conflict between the two, but as time went on they forged an understanding of each other's position and developed a strong friendship.

Tehvay closed her eyes and found herself transported into the film. She was playing the part of the woman and Aloyd Karthen was the governor. Only in her version, their relationship did not stop at just friendship; it went deeper.

She opened eyes – confused for a moment as to where she was, disappointed because her dream seemed so real. It's no good dreaming, Tehvay, she inwardly admonished herself. You were born a slave, and that is your lot. Don't dream of a life you can never have.  

 

~~~~

 

The party was being held in the main reception hall. It was an intimate gathering by Karthen standards: two hundred and fifty guests who were either related to the Karthen Family or her mother's judicial associates. Even though Kikola loved her family and enjoyed seeing them, she was not looking forward to attending the party. She never felt at ease in social situations, despite her mother's best efforts. Kikola had always found small talk difficult. Again, she thought of Tehvay's gift for small talk and how much more comfortable Kikola felt talking with Tehvay.

Kikola avoided making a grand entrance, picked up a drink, spoke to a few members of the family, and then found a quiet spot near the grand piano, an ancient instrument that had been in her mother's family for generations. Kikola had never bothered to learn how to play it; she was destined for the Military and saw no point. Her uncle Gramolin was a composer and would most likely regale everyone with a performance on it later. I should ask Tehvay if she likes music, Kikola thought. She caught sight of her cousins, Sorenen and Mina. They noticed their older cousin and disappeared among the other guests.

Kikola had her back turned to the throng and was looking at a grouping of family portraits, when her mother came up beside her.

"Kikola, you should be mingling with our guests. There are relatives and friends here that have not seen you for years," Mariantha reminded her daughter.

"Apologies, Mother. I have spoken to a few. I have offered my congratulations to Uncle Gramolin and Aunt Amosa. However, I am not in a social mood."

"No. You have always been a solitary girl. Even at parties you would find somewhere to hide and leave early. I thought now that you have graduated, you would come out of your shell a bit."

"I know. It's just that… I have been feeling… odd."

"Odd? Do you mean ill?"

"Yes. No. I am not certain. Maybe."

"Have you seen a doctor?"

"I saw the doctor on the Sword."

"And?" Mariantha pressed.

"He found nothing wrong. His only suggestion was that it might be a reaction to the diproxaline. The dosage might be incorrect."

"Doctor Mantell prescribed them to you; he never makes a mistake."

"I know."

"Then we will go see him in the morning. He is around here somewhere." Her mother scanned the crowd. "I will go tell him to expect you right after breakfast."

"Thank you, Mother. If you will excuse me, I am going to go to my room. I leave for Otopa tomorrow, so I need an early night if I am to see Doctor Mantell in the morning."

Before leaving Kikola picked up a plate and filled it with some of the food from the buffet. She recalled promising Tehvay some food, and she did not like to break a promise.

~~~~

When the bedroom door opened, it startled Tehvay. She recovered quickly, jumped to her feet, and stood against the wall.

"Don't stand there," said Aloyd Karthen softly. "Come. I have some food for you."

The aloyd entered carrying a large plate, piled with food. She walked to the bed, sat on the edge, and put the plate down.

"Sit, help yourself." The aloyd directed Tehvay to sit on the bed on the other side of the plate from her. "I promised you some food that is not grey and sludgy."

"Thank you, Aloyd Karthen," said Tehvay as she sat down. She reached out and picked up a morsel. She had no idea what it was, but it was real, so she popped it into her mouth. "Mmm, that's delicious," she said as she chewed.

The aloyd chuckled and stood up, Tehvay picked something else to eat. As she reached for her third treat, a hand holding a glass of water appeared in front of her. "Aloyd! I'm sorry. I should be waiting on you. Forgive—"

"Tehvay! Just take the glass and enjoy the food."

"Thank you, Aloyd Karthen."

Tehvay took the offered drink and had a sip before choosing another delicacy on offer. Aloyd Karthen sat down on the bed and sipped her own glass of water.

Before long, the plate was empty. Aloyd Karthen had taken a few morsels, but Tehvay had consumed most of it.

"I should clear this away at least," said Tehvay, picking up the plate and standing. "Let me take your glass."

"Just put them on the side table," said the aloyd.

Tehvay did as instructed. As she turned to face her owner, she realised that sleeping arrangements had not been discussed. The bed in the aloyd's room was a lot smaller than the bed on Gatlor. If they were to share it, they would be uncomfortably close. Tehvay felt that she could broach the subject without reproach.

"Aloyd Kar—" she was interrupted by a knock at the door.

"Enter!"

A slave entered holding a pile of bedclothes. "Mistress Kikola, I have brought the bedding for the slave cell."

"Very good, you may proceed."

"Thank you, mistress." The slaved nodded his head in acknowledgment of the command and hurried to an adjoining room. A few minutes later he emerged. "Will that be all?"

"You may take those dirty glasses and plate."

"Yes, Mistress."

When the door closed behind him Aloyd Karthen turned to Tehvay. "You wished to speak?"

"I was only going to ask where you wanted me to sleep, but now I know."

"There is a spare blanket in my closet. Take that, in case you feel cold in the night."

"Thank you, Aloyd. Do you require me to undress—"

"No! That will be all. Good night, Tehvay."

Tehvay grabbed the spare blanket from the closet and went to the adjoining slave cell. The room was small and windowless, and cold. As she settled down under the layers of blankets, she found herself wishing for the heat of another body beside her.

~~~~

The rain that had threatened the spaceport in the morning had continued unabated all day. The rainstorm brought the overall temperature down to just slightly below comfortable, making the planet's capital city a cold and dreary place. The locked doorway in which Hila and Kamina were sheltering offered some respite, but the occasional gust blew some rain into their bolthole. Kamina shivered and squeezed closer to Hila, putting herself between her friend and the door.

It would have suited Hila to take off as soon as the cargo she had transported was unloaded, but she had one other piece of business to conduct before they could leave Kalenth. This appointment had to take place under the cover of darkness.

"Couldn't you meet your contact on the ship?" Kamina griped.

"I thought you used to sleep rough."

"Polen is a sealed, climate-controlled city. It's a balmy twenty-four degrees at all times. I guess they don't want the homeless freezing to death on the streets: think of the paperwork!"

"You should have put on a thicker jacket."

"I didn't know it was going to be this chilly," Kamina complained. "You could have told me before we left the ship."

"Yes, I guess I should have suggested you wear trousers. Sorry."

The alleyway in which they were waiting was just off a main thoroughfare. Even on this cold, wet night, it was still relatively busy. Hila couldn't see the traffic, but she could see the lights from the vehicles reflected off the walls, and hear the hiss of their tyres on the wet roadway, as they passed. She could even hear the footsteps and voices of pedestrians.

A jab in her back caused Hila to take a half step forward, as she felt Kamina wriggle in further behind her. The warmth of the young woman's body easily penetrated her coat, causing distracting thoughts that at any other time would be most welcome. She felt the younger woman's hand slip into her jacket pockets, and Hila took a deep breath. Behave! she warned herself.

"You didn't have to come," said Hila.

"And miss all the fun."

"This isn't meant to be fun."

"Then what is it? Why are we standing here, freezing?"

"I told you, I have to meet someone."

"Who?"

"It's not—What are you doing?"

Kamina sighed. "I'm trying to tickle you."

"Why?"

"To get you to lighten up a bit. Maybe smile. And I'm bored."

"Stop it. I really should have made you stay on the ship."

"Don't you want me around?" Kamina sounded hurt.

"Yes," said Hila. "Of course. It's just, I don't want you around when you might get hurt."

"People get hurt all the time. I found that out the hard way."

"Then maybe it's time for a change. Wouldn't you like to live somewhere safe and warm?"

"Sure. But you're a spacer and the only warm place is next to the engines of your ship. And here," Kamina added and snuggled closer.

"This job I'm doing will pay big, big enough that I don't have to keep hauling my arse all over the Spur. There are some lovely tropical islands on this planet, surrounded by warm shallow seas that you can go swimming in all year round. Beautiful place," Hila said wistfully.

"Yeah? How do you know? You go there on holidays, do you?" Kamina teased.

"No. I, um, like to know about the planets I visit."

"Well, I'd like to see a bit more of the galaxy before I settle down. Nice though those islands sound."

Suddenly, two figures appeared out of the dark alleyway – a man and a woman. Hila immediately sensed trouble.

"Well, well, well," said the man, stepping forward. "This looks cosy."

"Get lost," said Hila, keeping her voice level.

"Ah, well, I could do that, only then I'd have to go back to my boss and tell him you were wasting his time."

"Who is your boss?"

The man winced. "Now, you know the rules: no names mentioned in public. It wouldn't do to break the rules now, would it?"

"What's the code word?"

The man laughed and turned to his friend. "We have a right comedian here! 'Code word', she said! Do you know any code word?"

His comrade sniggered, and he turned back to Hila.

"You know there ain't no code word. Now stop jerking me off and come with us. We don't bite." He sized Hila up. "But that wouldn't matter to you, would it? You'd probably have us dead in the gutter with the rain washing our blood away faster than we could blink if we tried anything, I reckon."

"You got that right!" Kamina chipped in, moving to Hila's side.

The man grinned, stepped to one side, extended an arm and gave an exaggerated bow. "If you ladies would be so kind as to follow my esteemed colleague," he said, attempting to imitate an Elit accent.

Hila put a protective arm around Kamina's shoulder and stepped out into the rain. The woman set off, and Hila and Kamina followed, with the man bringing up the rear.

At the end of the alleyway there was a vehicle. The woman opened a door and climbed in. Hila let Kamina climb in first and followed her closely. The man climbed in and shut the door behind him. The compartment had four seats. The woman gestured that Hila and Kamina take the seats facing rearward. The man signalled the driver and the vehicle moved off.

"Is there any heating in this thing?" asked Kamina.

The woman, who was sitting opposite Kamina, touched a control on the arm of her seat. Warm air immediately rose up from vents under the seats.

"Thanks. I don't suppose there are any drinks stashed around here?"

The woman touched another control, and a drawer popped out between the seats Hila and Kamina were occupying.

"Excellent!" Kamina reached into the drawer and pulled out a bottle. "Want one?" She offered the bottle to Hila.

Hila shook her head. Kamina shrugged, opened the bottle, and took a swig.

"Wow! This is certainly not the cheap stuff." She reached into the drawer, pulled another bottle out, and put it in her jacket pocket.

The drawer was shut before she could take another.

After about twenty minutes, the vehicle slowed, passed through a set of tall, ornate gates and into a brightly lit tunnel. Hila guessed this was the Bramaleen district – a stronghold for the Fethusal with pretensions of being Elit. Large luxuriant houses were set inside a gated parkland with a network of underground roads, so as not to spoil the environment for those privileged to live there.

They turned into a side tunnel that opened out into a large garage. Several other vehicles occupied the area. The vehicle stopped, the door opened, and they were beckoned out. Hila once again put a protective arm around Kamina, as they followed the man into a maglev lift. The woman punched a code into the control panel, and the lift quickly started to rise. After a short time, the lift slowed and started to move sideways. It came to a halt, the woman punched in another code, and they were disgorged into a large, expensively furnished room.

Hila laughed to herself at the pretentiousness in the décor. The owner was definitely a Fethusal with more money than sense. Then she caught sight of him: a tall man with greying blonde hair, sitting in a chair sipping a drink. Despite the lack of formal occasion, he wore an expensive, tailored suit with all the fineries and fripperies that money could buy.

Must be Selzabega, she surmised. Hila had never met him, but knew all about him. She wondered how much he knew about her. Without waiting for any introductions, she walked towards him. "Have you got it?"

"Yes," replied Selzabega.

"I sense a 'but'," said Hila.

Selzabega half smiled and took another sip of his drink, before putting it down on the table next to the chair. He stood up and removed a data chip from his pocket. "I took the liberty of reading it, and I am most pleased that I did, because the price has just gone up."

"We agreed, twenty-five."

"Now I want more."

"How much?"

"Th—Four times."

"You were going to say 'three', so that will be my top offer."

The man bowed his head slightly, conceding the point. "And it will be the lowest I will accept. Do we have a new agreement?"

"I don't have that much money. I'll need to contact my employer."

"By all means."

Hila walked to the side of the room and fished a comm unit from her jacket. "Kami!" She beckoned her friend.

"Kamina," came the automatic response.

"Don't steal anything," she whispered. Kamina opened her mouth to protest, but Hila continued. "Stay where I can see you and keep your hands in your pockets." Hila pressed some buttons on the comm while keeping an eye on the pouting teenager. She smiled and winked just before her call was answered.

"Boran."

"Hila. Have you got it?"

"He's upped his price."

"How much?"

"He wanted four times," she said, pointedly looking at the blonde-haired man. "I got him down to three. Do you want me to physically beat him down to a lower price?"

She sensed his thugs become alert, but the man himself remained unmoved by the threat.

"No. I'll transfer the money. Just a sec." There was a pause. "Done."

"I'll call you later when I've got it back to the ship," she replied.

"Okay. Speak to you later. Bye."

Hila killed the connection. She pulled a cred chip from a pocket and plugged it into the comm. A single bleep indicated the funds had been transferred to the chip. She pulled it out and approached Selzabega.

"Seventy-five thousand," she said and handed it to him.

He took the chip between two fingers and examined it.

"It doesn't bite," said Hila.

"You'll forgive me if I am a little bit cautious."

Hila smiled at his tone. This one thought he was superior to her and was doing everything to show it: from the sending of his lackeys to collect her, ensuring that they met in this opulent room, to the way he spoke in condescending tones, trying to sound Elit.

She held out a hand. "The data chip."

The man inserted the cred chip into his comm unit and after a couple of seconds he nodded, satisfied that the money was safe in his account. He placed the data chip on the table, picked up his drink, and stepped away.

Hila knew that she might have to deal with him in future, so she let him take the money. However, she knew more about him than he realised and decided to take him down a peg or two.

"Money might give you the lifestyle, but it won't give you the pedigree. I know that twenty-five years ago, you were giving blowjobs in back alleys. You found out you could blackmail certain clients, and manoeuvred yourself into a comfortable job where your knees don't hurt. But you still know whose cock likes to be sucked."

Selzabega didn't flinch. "Tell me something I don't know. I might care what you have to say."

Hila picked up the chip, turned, and started walking to the lift.

"We all pretend, Miss Llyte," he called after her. "Some better than others."

Hila ignored him, took Kamina's arm, and kept walking.

~~~~

The cockpit lights made a colourful constellation around Hila, but she was not concentrating on their beauty at this time. She plugged the data chip into the console and read the contents. No wonder he upped his price, she thought.

She pulled out her comm unit. "Boran."

"What does it say, Hila?"

"The judge was Mariantha ap Karthen. In her judicial decision, she stated that because Tehvay was not responsible for her previous owner's death, and not responsible for her subsequent emancipation, she decided on leniency and returned Tehvay to slavery."

Boran breathed a sigh of relief. "So, we need to track down her new owner and get her back. Buy her back, if necessary."

"Not as easy as that. And this is why the price went up."

"What is it?"

"Appended to the court report are the details of a request for ownership to the Slave Registration Board. Judge Karthen paid a fee to purchase her—"

"Shit!" interjected Boran.

"Yes," agreed Hila. "But there's more. The judge paid for Tehvay, but transferred ownership to her daughter, Kikola ap Karthen. Aloyd Kikola ap Karthen."

"An aloyd?" Boran's tone was one of disbelief.

"Yes. Trying to get her from an Elit would be suicide at best. But an aloyd who is going to be surrounded by hundreds of soldiers and who knows where in the Hegemony…"

There was a long pause. "I want Tehvay back, whatever the cost. If you want to cease in this endeavour, I'll understand."

"I'm not quitting," Hila replied without hesitation. "It will just take a bit longer than anticipated."

"Thank you, Hila. But are you sure you know what you're getting in to?" asked Zerbilla.

"Well, I do now. And I'm still your best bet to see this through. I will see if I can find out where Karthen is posted."

"I always knew you were a good one."

"Don't give me that bullshit," said Hila. "We both know I am in it for the money… a lot more money."

"Deal," he replied and laughed. He became serious again. "Any window of opportunity will be very small, so it would be a good idea to have someone Tehvay knows with you. Come and pick me up."

"Are you sure? If I don't manage this, you'll need to be around to get someone else to do it."

"Hila, you said yourself you're the best for this. If you can't do it, there is no one else."

After the connection was ended, Hila turned around and looked at Kamina, who was standing in the doorway to the cockpit. "It looks like we're going back to Shibato," Hila said. "When we get there, I want you to stay there."

"What?"

"This situation has just got very dangerous. You'll be safer there."

"What is it with you worrying about my safety all the time?" Kamina asked. "I can look after myself."

"Kami, we could very well be facing squads of heavily armed soldiers, who will shoot at us when their commanding officer realises we're running away with her slave."

"You don't know that. This aloyd may just shrug her shoulders and go, 'Meh, I'll buy a new one.'"

"Somehow I doubt that. But whatever she does, I don't want the possibility of you getting killed. Besides, Boran is coming with me. There's only two sleeping quarters on the ship."

"I don't mind sharing."

"Kami! You can't share with Boran."

"No, I mean with you. You got big enough quarters."

"There's only one bed."

"And? It's not like you've never shared it before."

Hila was stunned into silence.

"Sorry," said Kamina. "I didn't mean it to sound…"

"Kami. I'm not trying to get rid of you because I don't want you around. And I'm not leaving you on Shibato because I think you can't handle yourself. I care about you, and don't want to see you hurt. That's all."

"Yeah!" Kamina raised her voice. "And I care about you and don't want to see you hurt!" She jabbed an accusing finger at Hila. "But, if you're going off somewhere, and there's a chance you might not come bac—" Kamina's voice caught in her throat. "Then I want to be there. I don't want to be left on my own. Even if it means I don't come back, I want to be with you."

Hila looked at Kamina. Tears were streaming down the young woman's face. Kamina swatted an angry hand at them to wipe them away and smeared a bubble of snot over her cheek.

Even wet and daubed with mucus, Kamina was still the most beautiful thing Hila had ever seen. She rushed to her and held her to her chest. "It's okay," she whispered soothingly. "It's okay," she repeated the phrase over and over until Kamina broke the embrace and took a step back. "Where did that come from?" Hila enquired.

Kamina sniffed. "I was always on my own growing up. No family. Then Jarrel and Mirdo took me in after I got attacked, and suddenly, I had a family. It was nice. And you're part of that family. Now Jarrel and Mirdo are gone, and you're all I have." She broke down into fresh sobs.

"Oh, Kami, come here." She pulled the younger woman to her and held her tight until the sobs subsided. She held Kamina's face in her hands and looked her straight in the eye. "I'm not leaving you. I'm not leaving you on Shibato. I'm not leaving you on your own in any way, whatsoever."

"Thank you," she croaked. Kamina reached up and planted a sweet kiss of gratitude on Hila's lips.

Hila felt an unmistakable spark of desire when their lips met, and a wave of conflicting emotions when their lips parted. What just happened? thought Hila.

~~~~

 

Like all Elit households, the Karthen desert home had a state-of-the-art diagnostic and treatment room, located in a separate building near the main house. They also had one of the best practitioners in the Hegemony, Doctor Mantell, as their family physician. Though he may be a brilliant doctor, Kikola had always found his bedside manner to be lacking.

"Any drug I dispense is always correct," Mantell stated bluntly. "Diproxaline suppresses the libido, and only has side effects when an incorrect dosage is taken. Those side effects are insomnia and a burning sensation when you eat. I don't know where this Doctor Catilol got his accreditation from, but your trouble sleeping and loss of appetite are not the result of the diproxaline that I prescribed."

"Then what is wrong with me?" asked Kikola.

"Nothing. At least Catilol got that right when he examined you! You are in perfect health. Of course, I only deal with the physical side, there could be a psychological reason," he stated without sentiment. "I will send you to a colleague—"

"That won't be necessary. Aloyd's are required to have a psychological examination before commencing their duties. There was no problem."

"Well, then this was a complete waste of my time – unless you want another prescription of diproxaline while you are here."

Kikola nodded.

"I will have them ready for you in thirty minutes. That is all."

Kikola said nothing in return and left the doctor's office. Her mother was in the waiting room, and approached her with a questioning look.

"What did he say?"

"He said I am fine."

"Just fine?"

"He suggested it might be psychological."

"But aloyd's are—"

"I told him that."

They left the clinic and walked the short distance back to the main house. Kikola's mother had them pause before going inside.

"Kiko," Mariantha spoke gently and rested a hand on her daughter's arm. "Just because you take the diproxaline does not mean you don't need company."

"Company? What do you mean?" asked Kikola.

"Diproxaline suppresses the libido, but it cannot stop you feeling… affection for someone." Her mother chose her words carefully. "It would be perfectly fine for you to have a friend… a companion. Someone with whom you want to spend time."

There was someone like that in her life. How does she know? Kikola thought. Suddenly, Kikola felt exposed, vulnerable, and betrayed by her body.

"I…" Kikola trailed off. She dare not admit it to herself let alone her mother. "There is someone," the aloyd heard herself say.

"Then don't worry about it," Mariantha replied. "Spend time with him. Enjoy each other's company, and I am sure whatever symptoms you have will go away."

Kikola was about to agree with her mother, anything to end the conversation she didn't want to be having, but her mother continued.

"I take it he's an officer. A senior officer, I hope. You should bring him home so that I can meet him."

"There is no 'him'. There is no man with whom I wish to spend time." The aloyd waited for her mother to deduce what she was implying and anticipated an angry response. There was none.

Kikola's mother glanced around, seemingly to assure that they were alone. "Your great-aunt Balin was an astrophysicist, and like you did not want a husband and children to get in the way of her career. She had a companion for many years – someone with whom she could share life's pleasures."

There was a tone in her mother's voice that Kikola found strange, as if she were trying to say something without saying it.

"Aunt Balin's companion was a woman," said Mariantha. "I know that in Elit society, it is officially taboo. However, as long as they are of good Fethusal stock, it is… overlooked, shall we say."

Kikola was stunned by what her mother was saying.

"As long as you are discreet, Kiko," her mother explained. "That you don't parade it in public as though it were something… normal, then it can be overlooked by the family."

Kikola was awed that her mother had seen right into her soul and set off a detonation of conflicting emotions. On the one hand, Kikola was relieved to learn that her symptoms might be down to her developing feelings for Tehvay. On the other hand, Kikola was troubled to learn there was no way a relationship, however discreet, would be tolerated if the woman in question were known.

"Kiko," Mariantha said, "is there someone?"

"There is a woman with whom I like spending time. Maybe I am developing romantic feelings for her."

"Then you must bring your 'friend' home one day soon," said Mariantha. "I would like to meet the woman who has managed to capture my daughter's heart."

You have already met her, Mother, Kikola thought. She gave a quick, single nod, then headed back to her bedroom.

 

Chapter 7

Author's Page

Back to the Academy