CHAPTER 13

 

The offices of the Council Chairman were situated underneath the Council Chambers. It consisted of a private suite of offices for the chairman, a cabinet office for meetings with heads of departments, and several side offices for the chairman's staff. After she had Chairman Maldan executed, Ambra moved from her offices as Councillor for Military Operations into the Chairman's offices, but only temporarily. Ambra didn't like the subterranean environment – too dark and dreary. She had plans for new offices. They would be the tallest building in The Civic, where she could look out the windows and survey her domain. She would stand tall and proud as a Bren should, not hide away like a pathetic civil servant.

Ambra looked across the conference table to her new personal secretary, Lonnodren ap Onacon. Until recently, Lonnodren had been a successful businessman. However, when Ambra decided that Business was not a suitable role for Elit, Lonnodren had requested a position in the new government. Since the Onacon family had pledged their allegiance to Ambra in the Council, she was willing to give Lonnodren a job on her staff. The Bren only wanted competent politicians in her cabinet, but she saw an opportunity to train him while using his business acumen to sell her new policies to those that were still resistant to change.

Lonnodren, who was impeccably dressed in a dark-blue suit that complemented his light-brown skin, was of a similar age to Ambra. His hair was softly waved, rising directly from forehead and held in place by liberal amounts of hair product. It was all done, Ambra suspected, to show off his perfectly straight nose, clean-cut jaw, and an ever so slight dimple. Only the faint shadow of a few hours beard growth marred what Ambra thought could be an attractive face.

"I can't thank you enough for this post," said Lonnodren. He had mentioned his gratitude several times, yet his gratefulness, while sycophantic, was tinged with a certain charm. "This gives me a great opportunity to contribute to your bold vision for the Hegemony. Who better to learn the business of government from, than the Bren herself? "

"An opportunity that I believe you deserve. In fact, I want you to oversee the construction of my new offices. Do well and I will see that you get a respected position, either in my cabinet, or a governorship." Ambra gestured to his data pad. "See that—"

The beeping of the comm unit interrupted her. Lonnodren hurried over to the communication console and answered it. Aloyd Falentha's face appeared.

"Who are you?" asked the aloyd warily.

"I am the Bren's new personal secretary. Do you not recognise me?"

A moment's confusion flickered across the aloyd's image. Her eyes narrowed suspiciously as if she almost recognised him.

"I am Lonnodren ap Onacon."

The aloyd reacted by hardening her features. "I want to speak to the Bren. Now!"

"What is it, Aloyd Falentha?" Ambra asked as she stepped up to the console. She gestured for Lonnodren to step aside and took a seat.

The aloyd took a second to compose herself. "A corvette on border patrol has picked up someone I think we should speak to," replied the Aloyd.

"Who?"

A new face replaced the aloyd's.

"Interesting," mused Ambra. "Come and collect me immediately."

"As you command, Bren."

Ambra killed the connection. She turned to Lonnodren. "You have some sort of history with Aloyd Falentha?"

"We were at school together," he replied.

"School friends, that's nice."

"No, Bren. Not friends. Though it looks like she's had more facial surgery than me." He rubbed his nose.

"Do tell." Ambra instructed as she went back to the table.

"A childish response to a childish insult. She broke my nose."

Ambra chuckled. "Tell me more."

 ~~~~

Jenissa had accepted the invitation to dinner, but only out of respect for Mariantha. Maybe if Boran had not been going, she would have found an excuse to decline the invitation. Still, Jenissa had promised Mariantha that she would allow Kikola and Tehvay to help her adjust to life on Trengos, and she realised that locking herself away in her cabin wasn't going to bring Menari back. 

When she and Boran arrived for dinner, Tehvay welcomed them in and ushered them into the living room. A dining table had been set up in the middle of the room, set for six people. It was an unwelcome surprise to discover that the guest list also included Tehvay's friends, Trujilon and Ellovene, and that Boran had been aware they were invited.

"Why did you not tell me?" Jenissa whispered to Boran after the introductions were made.

"Because you wouldn't have come," he replied.

He was right. Jenissa had no interest in making small talk with strangers, but they were there now. So, she pushed down the anxiety she felt and tried to be gracious, or failing that at least not to be unsociable. 

The meal was bland, but palatable, much like the company. Jenissa didn't follow much of the conversation. She found Trujilon to be a bit too sure of his own opinions, as young men are. On the other hand, his sister Ellovene piqued Jenissa's interest. The dark-skinned woman with wavy black hair was soft-spoken, well educated, and had a way of drawing others into the discussion. Ellovene made the mundane seem remarkable, and Jenissa listened more intently whenever she was speaking.

When the conversation circled back to Tehvay's parents and her father's love of gardening, Jenissa noted how Tehvay's eyes brightened.

"Boran, you must come and see!" she said excitedly. "Ita gave me a cutting off his night blooming flower. It should be out now. It's beautiful. It has these purple glowing veins and the scent is like… like… oh, I don't know."

Boran laughed. "Let me smell for myself."

The two of them stood up from the table. "What about the rest of you? Do you want to come and see?" asked Tehvay.

"Sure!" said Trujilon and climbed to his feet.

Kikola stood up too.

"No thank you," said Jenissa. "I will stay in the warm."

"I'll stay too," said Ellovene. "Besides, your father has shown it to me before."

After Tehvay led the others out to the garden through the kitchen, Jenissa remained at the table, not saying anything.

Ellovene got up and reached for Jenissa's dish. "I'll clear these plates away," she said.

The sight of the woman's dark brown hand taking the plate from in front of her startled Jenissa. She thought for a moment it was Menari's hand. Her eyes travelled from the hand, up the arm, and locked on to rich brown irises. Menari's face floated above her. She blinked and Menari disappeared to be replaced by Ellovene. The face was older, the features not as sharp, the eyes sparkled, not with love, but something else, and one corner of the mouth was twisted up in a half smile, not the full, beautiful smile that Menari only showed when they were alone.

"Didn't mean to make you jump," said Ellovene.

"No, you didn't. I was just thinking of someone… something else."

"Do you want to give me a hand?" Ellovene nodded down at the table.

"A hand?"

"Clearing up."

"I…" Clearing up after herself was something she was learning to do. Clearing up after someone else was still an alien concept. "I suppose so."

Jenissa picked up a couple of plates and followed Ellovene to the kitchen. She placed the plates next to Ellovene's, who then stacked them up neatly.

Ellovene turned to Jenissa and said, "I guess being Elit, you had slaves to do this for you?"

Ellovene's tone was not challenging; it was almost sympathetic.

"Yes," said Jenissa, unsure of what else to say.

"Tehvay told me that she was your slave for a short time; that you helped in aiding her escape."

"Yes, she was and I did. I am afraid Tehvay has not told me anything about you." Jenissa paused. She could have left the conversation there and retreated behind the safety of the wall she had constructed around herself. However, an instinctual part of her decided to make the effort to break out. "Do you have an occupation?"

"I'm a journalist," Ellovene replied.

"What do you write about?" Jenissa asked, leaning against the counter.

"I write about whatever the news bureau wants me to write about, but I'm particularly interested in writing human interest stories." Ellovene paused. "Actually, I'd like to write about you."

"Me?"

"Yes. To so many here on Trengos, the Hegemony is a huge threat. The Elit who control it are a mystery, a faceless evil. I'd like to write your story. Put a face to the enemy, so to speak. I'd protect your identity of course. But I want to show the people here that you're just like them. You're not all to be feared."

"I don't know," Jenissa responded non-committedly. She was torn over the idea. Elit did not air their private business in the news, but a part of Jenissa wanted Menari's story told. It was wrong that she should die a nameless slave, forgotten.

"I would be very grateful if you consider it," said Ellovene. "I've been getting Tehvay's story. I've even got a few things out of Kikola. It would be nice to get another view."

"I will think about it."

"How about I come visit you on Boran's ship some time?"

Jenissa was feeling cornered and wanted to change the subject. "Sure," she muttered.

"Good." Ellovene's face broke into a smile. "I'm tired of writing press releases for the PPG, and my brother's speeches!" The woman chuckled.

The back door opened as Ellovene spoke.

Trujilon came in and took off his coat. "What was that about my speeches?"

"Just saying how well written they are."

"It's my delivery that really sells them." He looked at Jenissa as he spoke and flashed her a broad grin.

The other three followed him in and quickly closed the back door.

"You made the right choice. It's freezing out there," said Boran, rubbing his hands. "Shall I get us all some nice hot dyodpeth?" He headed towards the dispenser.

"Not for me," said Kikola.

"You go sit down. I'm the host," Tehvay said to Boran.

"No, you sit. I can handle it," Boran replied.

While the light-hearted disagreement between Tehvay and Boran continued, Trujilon got five cups of dyodpeth from the dispenser.

"Dyodpeth's ready!" announced Trujilon and carried the cups on a tray through to the living room. Boran and Tehvay followed.

Ellovene touched Jenissa's elbow and smiled. "Coming?"

Jenissa noticed Kikola hanging back. "I will join you shortly."

Ellovene headed for the living room leaving Jenissa alone with Kikola.

"Did you enjoy the meal?" asked Kikola.

"Yes, thank you." They both knew Jenissa was lying.

"We have to get used to the taste of food here – that and many other things."

"I appreciate any help you may give, but I do not want your pity," said Jenissa.

"You think we invited you out of pity?" Kikola gave her a shocked look.

"Then what? Guilt?"

"Guilt?"

"Yes, guilt – for ruining my life!" Jenissa exclaimed. "If you had not killed my grandfather, then Tehvay would not have become my slave, and you would not have got me involved in your scheme to free her, and I would not have had to lie about it, and Menari would still be alive!"

"I never meant for any of that to happen," said Kikola. "I certainly regret what happened to you and Menari, but nothing can change it."

Jenissa took a deep breath to calm her emotions. "We have respected your mother's wishes and made an effort. I think it is best if we do not socialise any further. Another time, another place, we might have been friends. However, please do not think that I consider you an enemy. I just think it is best that we keep our distance. For now."

"If that is your wish. If you change your mind, you know where we are."

Jenissa said nothing more, joined the others, and waited for the evening to end.

~~~~

The Relentless was travelling at faster than light speed. Garin could detect a subtle difference in the vibrations of the deck plating. It was as if the ship was more nervous. She settled back into the chair at the centre of the bridge and observed the crew going about their duties. For them there was still work to do. For Garin it was a matter of waiting. Waiting for something to happen.

"Captain Eadmon," the officer at the communications post called. "There's a call for you from the Vanguard. It's a personal call."

"I'll take it in my ready room."

Garin covered the distance to the corner of the bridge as quickly as she could without breaking into a run. She activated the comm before sitting down. Her brother's face appeared.

"Garin, it's Breena. She's missing," her brother began without preamble.

"Missing?" She sat on the edge of her desk chair and leaned towards the comm display. "Cayle, what are you on about?"

"We stopped at Yerhulin, and I couldn't find her," her brother replied with concern. "There's a record of her arrival, but no departure. She didn't answer her personal comm, and it was impossible to find with a trace. She's gone."

"Gone," Garin repeated. "That's… Keep looking."

"I can't. We've been ordered back to Kalenth. Are you still there?"

"No. We've been ordered away." Garin wanted to tell him they were rendezvousing with a corvette, but with the leader of the Hegemony on-board, she refrained from giving too many details. "What's happened to Bree?"

"I don't know." Cayle's face looked as worried as she felt. "Maybe she was recalled by Aloyd Willenth. I don't know. He was in command of the Fearless. Fleet Command doesn't know where it is. It's gone dark."

"Was the Fearless spotted near Yerhulin?" asked Garin.

"No. I checked with local traffic control."

"Then something must have happened. She wouldn't go back unless the Fearless turned up to take her back. We told her to wait."

Cayle ran a hand through his thinning hair. "I've left instructions with the local security force to keep a look out for her. They'll contact me directly if they find anything out."

"Let me know the moment you hear anything." Garin paused. "She'll be fine, Cayle. Wherever she is, Breena can look after herself."

"I know, but I want to know for certain."

"Keep me informed." Garin terminated the communication. She didn't like this. Her sister must have gone into deep hiding. There was only one answer to why she would do that: She didn't want to be found. But what side is she hiding from?

~~~~

It was morning on the transport ship and everyone, apart from Rikana, was up and about. The pilot and the Trengos ambassador were in the aft lounge having breakfast. Yuniph left them to go back to her quarters and change into her uniform. Technically she was working all the time on-board the ship, but she had relaxed her strict sense of duty and only changed into her uniform after breakfast, changing back into her casual clothes after dinner.

The co-pilot said good morning as he passed her on his way to the cockpit. She noted his uniform collar was not fastened and his hair not combed. Perhaps relaxing my rules on appropriate attire sends the wrong message. This is a government ship on a diplomatic mission, not some pleasure cruiser, she thought. She then realised that she was probably not that influential with the co-pilot.

There wasn't a lot to do other than sit around and play games with Rikana, so Yuniph decided to follow the co-pilot and change later. She stuck her head through the cockpit door. "Do you mind if I join you?" she asked.

The co-pilot turned from his console and shook his head. "Be my guest." He gestured to the pilot's seat and carried on with his task.

Her attention was drawn to the unfastened collar again. Yuniph could imagine the mocking she would get from Rikana if she voiced her opinion about it. It would no doubt end with a critique of her lack of fashion sense. So, Yuniph fought the urge to say something about it and slipped into the pilot's seat.

Yuniph had flown the Dansek prisoner transport on several occasions, and while this ship was a good few years older and a different type of ship, the basic layout and readouts were the same. Something caught her eye on the navigation panel.

"Is this right?" she asked. "It's reporting our position to be well within Hegemony space."

"What?" the co-pilot whipped his head around. He punched a button. "Shit!" He studied the screen. "How did that happen?" A couple more buttons were hit harder than necessary. "The initial course calculation was off, but we double checked that!"

The co-pilot swore again. "There's no way it can be that far off." He punched some more buttons. "It's not correcting."

"Is something overriding the input?" asked Yuniph.

"It's… there." He pointed at a screen to his right.

Yuniph stretched in her seat to see what he was pointing at. "What is it?"

"It looks like we got hit by a random cosmic ray burst. It must have been while we were asleep. The shielding on the computer must be damaged, and a section of the memory core has been compromised."

"In what way?"

"Some bits are permanently set. We can't change them."

"Can we work around the problem?"

"That depends on how big an area of memory has been compromised, and also what else has been affected. I better run a full diagnostic."

An alarm sounded and a light flashed on the console in front of Yuniph.

"There's a spike in the ion flow in engine one," said Yuniph. "Critical."

"Shut it down!"

"Already on it."

The alarm stopped, and the warning light went off.

"Do you feel that?" asked the co-pilot.

"Yes," said Yuniph.

Yuniph could feel a steady thumping through the seat. "That's—"

For several seconds Yuniph thought she was dreaming. She tried opening her eyes. Noises and voices sounded but what she saw made no sense.

The co-pilot's bloodied face was centimetres from hers shouting something.

"—t! –t—G—out! Get out!"

She coughed as a foul taste seared the back of her throat.

Something was pulling at her arm, trying to lift her from the seat. She turned her head and saw Rikana. The young woman's face had a black smudge on it. Yuniph reached out to wipe the smudge off her friend's face. Pain flared in her shoulder, and it took her a while to realise that the charred and bloodied hand she could see reaching out was her own. The tip of her index finger looked to be missing.

Yuniph cried in pain as Rikana pulled her injured shoulder around her neck and started dragging her out of the cockpit.

"—ip! Abandon ship!" Yuniph winced against the automated voice blaring the warning.

"Come on," said Rikana. "If I die on this thing, I'll never speak to you again."

Fire and smoke were billowing from the aft of the corridor and Rikana appeared to be dragging her towards it.

Yuniph wanted to protest, but a thump and scream from behind her stopped any protest.

Rikana swore and half leapt, half fell on the door release. Before the door was fully open, Yuniph was thrown inside closely followed by Rikana, who swore some more as she punched the control to close the door.

The escape pod was released just as the ship disintegrated. Yuniph watched the shower of debris through the porthole. Her view was blocked when Rikana placed something on her forehead.

"Hold that there."

Yuniph felt her hand being moved and placed on her forehead. She wanted to protest that it was a waste of time treating her. "Don't bother," she whispered.

Darkness overcame her.

~~~~

Yuniph opened her eyes. She was on her back, looking up at an unfamiliar ceiling. Harsh bright lights directly above her made her close her eyes again. She heard voices and opened her eyes again. There were people milling around her. They were apparently treating her. One of them applied a dressing to her burnt right hand, while another attended to her forehead.

She looked around. Dark grey walls, the uniformed guard by the door. This is a Hegemony ship, she thought. Military by the look.

"Hold on a moment." A female voice called out.

The attendants turned to the one who had spoken. Yuniph looked in her direction. Next to the woman was a screen showing Yuniph's face.

No, that's not me, she thought. That's Tehvay. Yuniph studied the face of her sister. There was a subtle difference to the sister she knew. That is what she looked like when she was a slave. When she was beaten and raped. When she was broken.

"DNA confirms this one's a slave. BK2561891. Known as Tehvay. It's a wanted fugitive. However, there's a tag on its file that Aloyd Gral'hilanth ap Falentha is to be notified if found. Just give it the bare minimum of treatment and put it in the holding cell."

They think I'm Tehvay.

The attendants stopped treating her, and she was led to a cell. It was difficult for her to walk, but no one offered to help her. The cell door shut behind her with a hiss, a clunk, and a couple of clicks. No point locking the door, I'm in no fit state to escape.

Yuniph staggered to the bunks and lay down on the bottom one. Whatever pain medication she had been given was wearing off. The searing pain in her head made her feel nauseous. If she stayed still and tried to ignore the pain, it was bearable.

Some time passed and Yuniph heard the door open. Then she heard Rikana's voice.

"—of shit fuck. I'll punch your face so hard you'll be shitting your own teeth."

The cell door closed. It sounded like Rikana gave the door a kick for good measure.

"Hey, Veilan. How are you doing?" Rikana's face floated above Yuniph.

Yuniph winced as she moved her head to glance at her shoulder. Her sleeve was ripped and discoloured with dried blood. "I've been better."

"You've looked better."

"What's going on? The ship? The others?"

"The fucking thing blew up. I barely got you to the pod in time."

"The others?" Yuniph asked again, but she somehow knew the answer.

Rikana shook her head. "It happened so fast."

"Where are we?"

"Heggers. They must have picked up the automated distress call."

Rikana moved out of Yuniph's field of view. She heard what sounded like another kick at the door and grabbed her head as the pain reverberated behind her eyes.

"Why are you here?" Yuniph whispered to avoid making her headache worse.

"I head-butted the Hegger scum in charge." There was a pause. "Heggers have such fucking hard noses. So, they threw me in here with you. Why did they lock you up?" asked Rikana. "They wouldn't tell me. Or let me see you. "

"Rikana," she whispered and beckoned her friend closer. "They think I'm Tehvay. We have to play along and let them continue thinking it."

"What? That's insane."

"Why? We're both dead anyway. We know that. At least this way they'll think Tehvay is dead, and they won't go looking for her. She'll be safe."

Rikana shook her head. "No."

Yuniph's head hurt like a rod was being driven through her eyes, but she struggled to lean up. "Please."

Rikana stopped shaking her head and looked down. "Okay. I don't like it, but if it keeps Miss V. safe…"

Yuniph reached out with her uninjured hand and took hold of Rikana's arm. "Thank you." She studied the young woman's face. Tehvay is my sister by blood, but Rikana is my sister in my heart. "I love you," she admitted.

Panic flashed across Rikana's face. "I thought… You don't mean in a 'wanting to do things to my feeta' way, do you?"

Despite the situation, Yuniph laughed. "No, I don't mean that."

"Good." Rikana looked relieved. "I, um, I love you as well. And I don't mean in a 'wanting to do things to your feeta' way either."

"That's settled then," said Yuniph. "We both love each other, but not each other's feetas."

Rikana smiled. The smile faded and she suddenly pulled Yuniph into a hug.

"Finally got to the hugging stage," Yuniph teased, and returned the hug as best she could.

Rikana disengaged from the embrace, making sure her eyes didn't meet Yuniph's gaze. "Just get some rest," she whispered, and retreated to the corner of the cell at the foot of the bunk.

Yuniph slumped back. It was a long time before she fell asleep.

~~~~

Jenissa hated snow. As she watched the flakes fall from the dreary Trengos sky, she recalled the last snowy day she had seen. The day she left Alopan. The day things started to go wrong in her life.

This snow was not the pristine white snow that floated down and covered the gardens of the Taliss estate. This snow was grey and dirty, driven by a strong breeze, and when it hit the ground it melted straight away.

It can't even snow properly here, she lamented to herself.

She turned away from the window in the dining area of Boran's ship and took a seat as far from the window as possible.

In the time since she had lost Menari, Mariantha ap Karthen had become her rock. Someone she could lean on in the dark moments. Someone who understood the depths of her despair. Someone who knew what it meant to have everything taken away from her.

However, Mariantha had gone back to the Hegemony, and Jenissa was now abandoned on a backwater planet. Alone. The life she knew. Gone.

Mariantha's daughter, Kikola, was the closest Elit, but she seemed to have adapted to life on Trengos. She had lowered herself to take a menial job. She was even starting to talk like a Quernal.

If I had accepted Kikola's offer, I would at least have Menari. Sweet, innocent, beautiful Menari.

Tears flowed down Jenissa's cheeks. When her tears eventually subsided, Jenissa looked down at her right hand. She didn't recall picking up the knife.

Another thought from that last day on Alopan surfaced. Tehvay cutting her own wrist. The slave had lost hope. She thought she was lost, abandoned, by the woman she loved.

Oh, Menari, why did you have to leave me?

She broke down in fresh sobs. Cold metal at her wrist brought her focus back.

Do it, there is nothing left.

She tried to push the blade into the underside of her left wrist, but it was as though some invisible force was pulling in the opposite direction.

She relaxed and let out a plaintive cry of frustration.

Do it!

Jenissa took a deep breath and tried again. A small spot of blood appeared at the tip of the knife.

No pain. Do it. Just cut. Quickly!

"Jenissa!"

Jenissa looked up at the sound of her name. Ellovene walked slowly towards her. The woman's eyes were fixed on the knife.

"What are you doing?" Ellovene's voice was calm as she edged towards Jenissa. "Put it down. Please."

"Let me do it," Jenissa pleaded.

"Why?" Ellovene locked eyes with Jenissa. "Things can't be that bad."

"They are," cried Jenissa. "I have nothing. I am nothing. Everything I had, or was, is gone."

"Nonsense," Ellovene replied. "Tehvay told me all about you. She said you were a strong, vibrant, young woman. You've been through hard times. You've lost a lot. And while things might seem bleak now, things will get better. Become again that woman Tehvay told me about. Live life. Don't throw it away."

"Menari was taken from me. I watched while the life was choked out of her. I watched and did nothing." Jenissa sobbed through her self-loathing.

"There was nothing you could do," said Ellovene. "It wasn't your fault, and your death won't bring her back. But your life will keep her memory alive. All the good times you had. The love you shared. Don't let it die. Honour Menari's life by living yours."

Ellovene was right next to her. Jenissa felt a warm hand envelop her right hand and lift it away. When she felt Ellovene trying to loosen her grip on the knife, she allowed it. The knife fell to the floor with a clatter, and Jenissa was wrapped in Ellovene's embrace.

"You have so much here," Ellovene whispered in her ear. "Friends. A future. You just have to see it and want it. Please! Say you want it! Please!"

Jenissa buried her face in Ellovene's shoulder. She clung to the woman tightly. She felt she wasn't alone.

"I want it," she mumbled against the woman. "I want it."

"Good." Ellovene patted the back of Jenissa head. "If you ever feel that way again. Call me. I'll be here for you."

Fresh tears flowed from Jenissa as Ellovene rocked her gently.

~~~~

They spent days in the cell. Yuniph was not sure how many, maybe six or seven. During that time, no one came to see them. The only interactions she and Rikana had with their captors were the twice-daily meals that were automatically delivered through the dispenser.

Rikana had made a daily ritual of kicking the door in frustration and shouting to get someone's attention. She was just about to start again when the door to the cell opened for the first time. Guards rushed in and forced the two of them to their knees. Yuniph winced out loud from the pain in her shoulder that had gone without medical treatment.

The guards stood close by with their weapons trained on Yuniph and Rikana. They were made to stay in that position for several minutes. Finally, a woman in a dark grey aloyd's uniform entered their cell and stopped directly in front of Yuniph.

"Do you recognise me?" she asked.

Yuniph looked up at the woman. Her head still hurt, so it was hard to focus on the officer's face. It wasn't someone she had met before.

"Hila Llyte," said Rikana.

"I wasn't talking to you."

Llyte. The name was vaguely familiar. As Yuniph struggled to make a connection, a hand gripped her face and forced her to look up. The information she needed came at once. Hila Llyte. Rikana had suspected her of being a slaver. It turned out she was acquainted with Boran Zerbilla and had helped rescue Tehvay. More details were coming to her. Yuniph recalled from their mission briefing with Kikola that Llyte had changed her name and was now working with Ambra ap Lentol, the self-declared Bren of The Kalenth Hegemony.

"Yes," said Yuniph, pretending to be Tehvay.

"Where's Karthen?"

Yuniph said nothing.

Falentha nodded, Rikana let out a grunt. Yuniph turned and saw blood trickling from her friend's mouth.

"Don't hurt her!" Yuniph hoped that her imitation of Tehvay's accent was good enough.

"Oh! You care about the cop? Don't tell me you've dumped Karthen for this one!" Falentha laughed, and turned to Rikana. "I am glad I didn't kill you on Argos Station, now."

Yuniph's eyes opened wide as she looked at Rikana, trying to signal her friend not to provoke their interrogator further. But with her usual bravado, Rikana spat blood; it landed on Falentha's trousers.

"I could beat you to the other side of the Spur and back if you didn't have your goons with you," Rikana said. "Go on, try me."

The aloyd nodded again, and Rikana doubled over gasping for breath from being punched in the diaphragm.

Falentha ignored what was happening to Rikana and continued her interrogation. "Did you leave Karthen on Trengos?"

Yuniph remained silent.

"I know slaves are conditioned to say nothing when being threatened with death, but I assure you I know many ways of extracting the information I want that will have you begging me to kill you."

"We don't owe Karthen anything," said Rikana. "She was the one that dumped you remember."

Yuniph frowned at Rikana, wondering what she was playing at.

Rikana ignored her and continued. "Karthen dumped her and returned to the Hegemony."

"Then where did she go?" asked Falentha suspiciously.

"How the fuck would we know?" Rikana continued answering. "She said she wanted her precious life back and left."

Falentha turned her attention back to Yuniph and crossed her arms. "If you and Karthen aren't together anymore, then why were you caught in Hegemony space?"

"We were on a trade mission to The Losper Empire," responded Yuniph. "It seems our ship had an error in the course."

"A big error," said Falentha. "Where you were picked up is a long way from any route from Trengos to the Empire."

"We visited Argos Station first," Yuniph tried to make it a convincing lie.

Falentha nodded to one of the guards. He kicked Rikana and cracked some ribs.

"Just in case you're lying," said Falentha. She turned on her heel and marched out. The guards followed her.

Yuniph rushed over to Rikana.

"Don't fuss, I'm okay," the young woman said.

She helped Rikana to the bunk and sat next to her.

Is this really it? Yuniph asked herself. There must be some way out of here. There must be!

Chapter 14

Author's Page

Back to the Academy