CHAPTER 12

 

Rikana paced about her living room looking for something to hit. Wurth was the only other person in the room, and she didn't want to bloody him, so she contented herself with using him as a verbal punching bag.

"You could've done more!" she threw an accusation at him.

"What exactly?"

She had no answer. She didn't want an answer; she wanted revenge. Seeing Falentha had dredged up painful memories, memories that could only be buried with violence. She kicked the wall.

"Let's go back down there. You distract the guard long enough for me to slip in and kill her."

"We can't do that," Wurth replied.

"Don't be a feeta!"

"It wouldn't do any good," Wurth said. "The door is secured with an encrypted code. Only the Rivelor and the Security Officer know what it is."

"Don't you outrank him?"

"Technically," the captain acknowledged.

"Then order him to let us in there!"

"I can't do that. He has direct orders from the Rivelor."

Wurth spoke with a calm voice that just made Rikana angrier. "What good are you then?"

Before Wurth could say anything, the door chimed. Rikana didn't need to ask who it was.

Rikana had a lot of pent up frustration and anger, so as soon as the door closed, she laced into Kikola with a barrage of questions.

"What the fuck? Have you lost your mind? Why is that piece of skeet still drawing breath?"

"I will leave you two to talk," Captain Wurth said.

"No, Captain," Kikola replied. "You should hear this as well. Let us all sit down."

Kikola and Wurth sat down at the dining table.

Rikana defiantly remained standing and folded her arms across her chest.

 Kikola pulled out a chair. "Please."

"This better be good." Rikana humphed and sat down, her arms remaining folded.

"With Falentha we have a chance to defeat Lentol."

"Ha! I used to think you were smart. You can't believe a word that feeta says," Rikana scoffed. She leaned over the table, putting her face centimetres from Kikola's. "I was there. I saw her kill Yuniph. If you don't let me repay her for that, I'll go through you."

Wurth put a hand on her shoulder to pull her back, but she shrugged it off and sat back down.

"Permission to speak freely," Wurth said.

"Granted," Kikola replied.

"We can't trust Falentha. She's killed on Lentol's order. To expect her to change sides that quickly is difficult to believe," said Wurth.

"I wouldn't trust her as far as I could throw her," Rikana replied. "That's a good idea. I could throw her out an airlock."

"Rikana, as difficult as this may be for all of us," Kikola said, "We have to put aside our personal feelings and work with Falentha and Commodore Eadmon."

"You're joking."

"I am serious. They may be the key to capturing Lentol and ending this war. I am not asking you to forgive her—"

"Good, because that'll never happen."

"What I am asking is that you accept her presence here and if you can't do that, then at least leave her alone. Can you do that much?"

Rikana wanted to say something flip, but she could see that Kikola was being sincere, so it deserved sincerity in return. "No. I made a promise that I would avenge Yuniph's death. I cannot pretend to be buddy-buddy with Yuniph's killer."

"Then ask yourself, what would Yuniph say if she were here?" Kikola asked. "Would she want you to avenge her death? Or would she want you to put your hatred aside and help bring an end to this war sooner?"

"Fuck you…" Rikana said sombrely. "She would want to end this war sooner."

"Good." Kikola stood up, followed by Wurth. "I am calling a meeting with Garin Eadmon and Aloyd Falentha to come up with a plan. I will see you two hours."

Rikana scowled. "Fine!"

Kikola held out a hand. "I would like you to hand over your weapon. You can have it back after the meeting."

Rikana swore under her breath and put her weapon on the table. "I don't need an IPB. I know a few Taro Di-Arm moves that don't leave a mark."

Kikola picked up the IPB and stood up. "Say what you like at the meeting. Just stay out of reach of Falentha. You are my friend, but I will stop you if you try to harm her."

Rikana clicked her tongue. "Fine. Killjoy." She walked Kikola to the door. "I still want to kill her."

"While Falentha is of use, she stays alive, she stays unharmed. Afterwards…" Kikola let the sentence trail.

Rikana smiled.

~~~~~

There was a palpable air of tension in the room. Kikola knew emotions might run high at this meeting, so she had everyone strategically placed around the conference table: the two defectors, Aloyd Gral'hilanth ap Falentha and Commodore Garin Eadmon, sat next to each other at one end of the oval table; with Tehvay and Rikana at the other end, as far away from Falentha as possible; Captain Wurth flanked Aloyd Falentha and Commander Breena Eadmon was next to her sister; and Aloyd Willenth sat apart from the others, between Captain Wurth and Tehvay. Kikola sat at the head of the table, between Tehvay and Rikana, this way she could intercept Rikana if the security officer made a move against Falentha.

"Thoughts, anyone?" asked Kikola.

"How can we be sure Lentol did not send them here to spy for her?" asked Captain Wurth.

"Because I trust my sister," replied Breena Eadmon.

"You can't say the same for her," Rikana sneered, pointing at Falentha.

"They seem genuine in wanting to change sides," Aloyd Willenth offered.

"But that doesn't guarantee they aren't double agents. They both worked directly for Lentol," said Captain Wurth warily.

"I can assure you we are not spies," Commodore Eadmon said. "We sincerely want to help you any way we can to defeat the Bren."

"We had differing opinions when you served in my Striker group," Kikola said to Eadmon. "You were concerned about needless casualties, as I recall."

The commodore reacted. "I—"

Kikola raised her hand to stop Eadmon. "I have come around to your point of view. I believe you are sincere in wanting to help." She focussed her gaze on Falentha. "You, on the other hand, have given me every reason not to trust your motives."

"You have those data chips. The fake fleet deployment and the real one." Falentha nodded at the data chips Kikola had on the table in front of her. "Check them out and see which one is real."

"We have," Aloyd Willenth confirmed to Kikola. "As far as we can determine, Aloyd Falentha and Commodore Eadmon have provided the real fleet deployment and the one from Selzabega is a decoy."

"Very well," said Kikola. "The next step is to decide what to do with this intelligence."

"I have a plan," Falentha said.

"Go on," Kikola prompted.

Falentha straightened up in her chair. "This conflict won't be over until you have killed or captured Lentol." Falentha looked Kikola right in the eye. "If you want to win the war, you have to make a sacrifice – use the false deployment and lose a battle."

"You see? I knew she couldn't be trusted. It's a trap!" Rikana seemed as though she was about to explode.

Kikola put her hand on Rikana's shoulder to silence her young friend.

"I think I agree with Rikana," said Aloyd Willenth. "We cannot afford to lose any ships."

"We will hear her out first." Kikola replied calmly.

Falentha continued. "In the false deployment there is a tempting target for you – the Implacable at Yun'thul. Commodore Eadmon and I will return to Kalenth and tell Lentol this is a good place to set a trap. We will go there in the Relentless and then return to Lentol with news of your loss and also tell her we have prisoners. With that news I can get her aboard the Relentless, where you can be waiting to take her into custody."

Kikola pondered Falentha's plan as a babble of voices rose in debate. She was capable of making the decision herself, but she remembered her earlier promise to Tehvay. She raised her hand for quiet and went around the table, asking each member of her staff for their opinion, starting with Aloyd Willenth.

"It's a bold plan in need of refinement," Aloyd Willenth replied. He furrowed his brow in thought, and then shook his head. "No, it's too risky. We know our capabilities. We know we can maintain our resistance, and our victories."

"For how long?" asked Commodore Eadmon. "Your current strategy is not a long term one. You are either going to get crushed or run out of resources and give up. As good and as effective as they have been up until now, you need to change tactics. But that will only prolong the conflict. This could be your one chance to end it quickly."

"She's right," Kikola said to Aloyd Willenth. "Even with the real fleet deployment we would only get one, maybe two opportunities to take advantage of it before Ambra changed it again. Then, we would be right back where we started." She turned to Captain Wurth and asked for his opinion.

Wurth replied, "We've been hitting small, but important targets: Comms relays, convoys, and so on. The Implacable is the oldest cruiser in service. It's about fit for the scrapyard. Why would we want to attack it? If you want to sell this plan to Lentol, we need a good reason to be attacking it."

"It's one fewer ship for you to worry about," said Falentha. "Plus, it would send a message to Lentol. As the commodore said, you've only been hitting corvettes so far. You need to start hitting bigger targets. An ageing lone cruiser would be a start. Or you could be trying to capture it. A rust bucket or not, another cruiser on your side is a big gain."

"I agree," said Kikola. "Commander Eadmon?"

"My sister is right. We need to change to tactics. This plan will end it one way or another."

"Rikana, do I need to ask you?"

"I say we call Lentol and when she answers, kill Falentha. Then tell Lentol to surrender or we kill Eadmon."

"Then you will end up killing the commodore," said Falentha. "Lentol doesn't care about us."

"Works for me," said Rikana.

"Their deaths gain us nothing," Kikola pointed out. Finally, she turned to Tehvay, whose opinion mattered most. "What do you think?"

Tehvay paused before responding. "I don't know military strategy, but I do know how to read people, and I can tell they are being sincere. If your goal is to end this conflict quickly, then we should act boldly. I would go with their plan, but the decision is yours. You are in charge."

Kikola sent a silent thanks to Tehvay for acknowledging her authority. She turned to Falentha and Garin Eadmon. "Very well, we will do it."

~~~~

Gral'hilanth caught her gaunt reflection staring back in the glass windows as she stepped into the lift that would transport her to the Bren's office. She closed her eyes as it began to ascend. When the lift came to a stop, there was a sudden knot in Gral'hilanth's stomach that wasn't caused by the lift's swift motion. She knew Ambra could pick up on the faintest hint of duplicity and too much was at stake to fail. She took a deep breath to steady her nerves and stepped off the lift.

The Bren's outer office was populated by a few of Ambra's lackeys, including her private secretary, Lonnodren ap Onacon. He rose from his desk and intercepted her.

"The Bren is waiting," he said. "I will show—"

"I know the way." Gral'hilanth brushed past him and headed for the spiral ramp in the middle of the room.

She almost sprinted up the ramp and entered Ambra's inner sanctum. The Bren was seated at her desk, her blonde hair perfectly parted and falling neatly around her face, her plum-coloured suit fitting to her shapely body without a single crease. The Bren looked up with a pleasant smile curling her lips. Gral'hilanth had learned that a pleasant smile on Ambra was something of which to be wary. "You returned empty handed. Do you come with an excuse or a plan?" Ambra asked. "Your answer will dictate what happens to you tonight."

Her tone made Gral'hilanth's blood run cold. "A plan, Bren."

"Sit!"

Gral'hilanth had become so used to obeying Ambra's commands without question that she almost sat down on the spot she was standing. She caught herself and took a seat opposite the Bren. "We tried tracking the ship after it collected the false deployment from Selzabega, but they had some sort of jamming system and evaded us."

"That sounds like an excuse." Ambra's tone was even but ominous.

"I am getting to the plan." Gral'hilanth cleared her throat. "Karthen will have the fake deployment by now. Based on analysis of her previous strategies of hitting smaller, more lightly defended targets, I believe there is a good chance she will try and hit the Implacable."

"How do you know that?" Ambra asked suspiciously.

Gral'hilanth felt a momentary flutter of anxiety, but outwardly she remained calm and continued explaining her plan to the Bren. "I have made a point of studying her tactics. Since she believes the deployment is real, she knows she only has one chance to make it work, and therefore she will go for a bigger target. The deployment calls for the Implacable to patrol shipping lanes between the Core sector and the Theelin sector. There is a scheduled rest stop at Yun'thul on the first of day of Unail. Karthen has been trying to limit casualties, so hitting it while most crew members are off ship will appeal to her."

"What are you suggesting?"

"I recommend we use the Implacable as bait. If it's not there then Karthen, or whoever she sends, might sense a trap."

"I see. Very well. I will order the Implacable to Yun'thul."

"With your permission, Bren, I also recommend that I take the Relentless and Illustrious there as well to ensure victory and to capture any survivors."

"I don't know if I can spare you or the Relentless. That is my flagship. If something goes wrong, it would be a public relations disaster."

"It would be a great public relations coup for you if your flagship wins an important battle against the ASD."

"Do it," the Bren replied. "I will come along to watch."

"I don't think that's a good idea, Bren. I wouldn't want to put you in the middle of another space battle."

Ambra leaned back in her desk chair and nodded. "I am pleased you are concerned for my safety."

"Of course, Bren."

"Very well. I will stay. When do you have to depart?"

"Tomorrow, 11:00."

"Good. Come tonight, so I can reward you before you go."

"Thank you, Bren." Gral'hilanth dreaded what Ambra might consider a reward.

"It seems Lyra is not as resilient as Sarray. It still cries when I use what it considers too much force. While I take some pleasure from the tears, I like a slave that doesn't break easily. Like you. So, for your reward, you will help me teach Lyra. I will spank you until you cry so it will learn what I expect it to take."

"Yes, Bren."

Ambra leaned over the desk and smiled lasciviously. "Are you looking forward to it?"

I look forward to you drawing your last breath. "Of course, Bren."

"You may go." 

~~~~

Kikola checked the chronometer on her jacket sleeve again as she waited for Tehvay to come out of the bedroom. It was almost time for them to meet with the others and board the shuttle that would transport them to the Fearless for the trip to the Theelin sector. It was there that phase two of their plan to bring down Ambra ap Lentol would commence. Gral'hilanth ap Falentha and Garin Eadmon had already returned to Kalenth to put phase one into motion: convince Lentol that Kikola was planning to attack the Implacable at Yun'thul. A lot was riding on the success of this mission – not just the fate of the Hegemony, but Kikola's credibility for deciding to trust Falentha and Eadmon.

"I'm ready," said Tehvay as she entered the living room. She was dressed in the standard issue combat uniform. "How do I look?"

Kikola gave her a brief visual inspection. "The fit is good."

"I was hoping for a more flattering response," Tehvay replied.

"The dark-green colour suits you."

Tehvay rolled her eyes. "I guess that will have to do."

It finally dawned on Kikola that Tehvay was angling for a compliment. "Sorry. I am a bit pre-occupied with the mission." She moved closer and drew Tehvay into an embrace. Kikola offered Tehvay a compliment by way of an adoring kiss.

The door chimed and the two separated. "That may be Captain Wurth. I told him to come get us when it was time." Kikola went to answer the door. She was surprised to see Trin'hale standing at the threshold. They had not spoken since the aborted attempt at an art lesson.

"Hello," Kikola said with surprise. She felt a bump against her legs and looked down to see Rufen. He was looking around her legs at Tehvay.

"Gold Lady!" he shouted.

Trin'hale let go of her son and he ran towards Tehvay.

"Gold Lady?" asked Kikola.

"It's what he calls…" Trin'hale paused.

Kikola knew the reason for the pause. Trin'hale was trying to express what a lifetime had conditioned her against thinking.

"Her." When it came time to say the word, Trin'hale couldn't get it out of her mouth fast enough, as if it left a foul taste. "After that art lesson, he kept going on about the 'Gold Lady'."

"Come in." Kikola stepped aside to allow her cousin into the living room.

They sat on the settee as Tehvay got down onto the floor to talk to Rufen.

"You're green!" Rufen said, and pulled at the sleeve of Tehvay's uniform.

"Yes, I am," Tehvay agreed with a chuckle.

Kikola turned her attention to her cousin. Trin'hale held her head high and stared at the wall opposite, not looking in the direction of Tehvay or Kikola. "Peltric mentioned that you both were leaving on a mission. I—we have come to… wish you luck," she said. "Both of you."

"That's very kind, thank you," said Tehvay.

Kikola could see Trin'hale struggling with the social pleasantries. She shifted position to look at Kikola. "I cannot entertain the thought of you losing this war. That would mean Lentol continues to rule as Bren, and we would have nothing to look forward to except exile or death. So, I want to know, what happens when you win? What do I…?" She looked over at her son. "We have to look forward to then?"

"A new Hegemony," replied Kikola. "It will be different, but at least you will start it with an advantage. The families will still have their wealth, homes, and skills. You can still be an artist. Rufen can still be a physicist."

"I am an artist because that is what I was meant to be. I was trained to produce art to enhance the culture of our society. I did not make money from it."

"Maybe now you can. People might want to buy your paintings."

"Might," repeated Trin'hale. "What if they don't? I take it you will still be a soldier. Why do you get to be what you were meant to be? Why do you get to do that and paint? It's not fair."

Kikola didn't know how to respond. It was Tehvay who answered.

"What would you like to do?"

It was the same question Tehvay had asked Kikola at the first meal they had together.

"I… I… I don't know. I cannot think like that." There was frustration in Trin'hale's voice.

"Yes, you can," said Kikola. "We all can."

Trin'hale stood up and straightened to her full height of nearly two metres. "Look at me. I am built to be soldier. However, fate decreed that I was to be an artist. I accepted that. I embraced it, and I worked hard to excel at it, because that is what I was meant to do." Her shoulders sagged. "Your drive and commitment to what you were meant to be was an example to all. Graduating as an Aloyd, First-Class made everyone proud, not just the family, but all Elit."

"Do you want to be a soldier?" asked Kikola.

"No! I want things as they were, as they are meant be."

"Those are not the same thing."

"I don't care! If people are allowed to choose, there would be chaos."

Kikola stood up, but still had to crane her neck to look at her cousin. "The old Elit cannot be allowed to continue. It made us all slaves." She could see Trin'hale baulk at the word, as if she had been slapped. "We had no choice," Kikola continued. "Just like Tehvay had no choice. If her owner told her to do something, she did it, without question. Society told us to do something, and we did it, without question. Now we – you, me, Tehvay, everyone – can be free to make our own choices."

"There is nothing wrong in having conformity," said Trin'hale.

"Trin, we have to make sacrifices for the good of the Hegemony going forward. It might seem unfair, but we have to pay the price for the sins of our forebears, because we cannot allow the rest of the Hegemony to go on paying for them."

"If we are all slaves, as you put it, then surely we are all paying the same price."

Tehvay had left Rufen on the floor and stood next to Kikola. "You were slaves to Elit society and its constraints that your ancestors created. I was a slave, not just to the society that your ancestors created, but also to unsavoury individuals within that society. Your society told you to be an artist. It gave you no choice, but being an artist is hardly a bad thing. Not while you live in luxury with people to do the menial tasks for you. My owners told me to do far worse. If your society told you to do the things that I was told to do, you would not be standing there asking for things to go back the way they were."

"What do you mean? What sort of things?" asked Trin'hale.

Tehvay glanced at Rufen. The boy was looking up at the adults as if wondering why they were ignoring him. "I won't say. Not in front of Rufen. He might be too young to understand, but I was only a little older than him when I was made to understand." Tehvay did not give Kikola's cousin a chance to object. "And before you say you never mistreat slaves, I believe that you never did to a slave what was done to me, but the mere act of owning slaves is mistreating them."

Kikola could see Trin'hale mulling over Tehvay's words. "Before my trial for killing Supreme-Aloyd Taliss, I asked Tehvay, if in the event I were to be executed, would she like to be bequeathed to you. She said that you were nice. I have learned that Tehvay is a good judge of character. Don't prove her wrong."

"That is most kind of you to say," Trin'hale said to Tehvay. "Yet, I fear I have already proven you wrong."

"Sometimes we can't help who we are. My slavery was an accident of birth," said Tehvay. "My parents had been slaves. When my mother became pregnant, her owner granted her and my father their freedom. He also granted it to their unborn child."

"I don't understand? How were you a slave then?"

"I had a twin sister." Tehvay almost choked on the words.

Kikola stepped in. "The law decreed only one child could be freed, so they came and took one. Tehvay's sister Yuniph grew up free. She knew her parents had been slaves, but knew nothing of Tehvay until we met by accident on Trengos. Yuniph…" She looked at Tehvay, and Tehvay nodded. Kikola took it as a sign to continue. "Yuniph gave her life to save Tehvay. Lentol had Yuniph executed thinking she was Tehvay. Yuniph gave her life because she understood that a life of slavery is no life at all, and that by making a sacrifice she could give Tehvay the life she deserved." Kikola paused. "Is it fair that Rufen be a slave, just because he was born to the wrong parents? No. Then it is not fair for anyone."

Trin'hale looked thoughtfully at the two of them. "You have given me a lot to think about."

"That is all I can hope for," said Tehvay. "Change takes time, I know that."

Trin'hale reached down and scooped her son up into her arms. "We will leave you. Rufen, give Gold Lady a hug goodbye."

Rufen reached out and buried his face in Tehvay's neck.

"I will see you later, Rufen."

"Also, a hug for your cousin," said Trin'hale.

"No!" stated Rufen firmly. He stretched out his hand instead.

Kikola chuckled and shook the boy's hand.

"Be safe," said Trin'hale. "Both of you."

~~~~

Ambra was not one to be patient, and her patience was wearing thin. Council members had begun to ask questions about the so-called Arai Soon Dukwelud, as Karthen's forces were calling themselves. The insurrection needed to be put down swiftly before it spread, and the way to do that, as Ambra well understood, was to cut off the head: capture Karthen and the resistance will wither and die. To that end, a plan was being executed – a plan that Ambra hoped would lead to Karthen's downfall.

Aloyd Falentha and Commodore Eadmon had taken the Relentless and Illustrious to ambush Karthen's ships at Yun'thul. They had been under a communications black-out for the past three days, so all Ambra could do was wait to hear from Aloyd Falentha to find out if the plan they had put into action was successful. In the meantime, Ambra needed to attend to her empire, and it was economic forecasts that occupied her time while she waited.

"There is evidence of the Quernal stockpiling essential items in the border regions, however, the core worlds seem stable," said Lonnodren, who was seated in a straight back chair near the corner of the Bren's desk. "Overall, the economy is down, but well within expected fluctuations. Manufacturing is predicted to suffer as people will become nervous about purchasing large consumer items. Also, people are not going to invest in property if they think they may have to leave in a hurry."

Ambra had her back to Lonnodren and was fidgeting with a data chip. "Perceived instability?"

"I am afraid, Bren, that resistance to your rule has not gone unnoticed – there have been news reports of attacks by Karthen's ASD forces. However minor the victories are, they are noticed, and that impacts the economy. I suggest a small tax break for manufacturers. They can reduce their prices and that will encourage people to buy."

"Very well," said Ambra. She turned to face her secretary. "See if something can be done to stop the media reporting on any resistance."

Lonnodren looked confused. "We do. We have controlled the news media for centuries; however, it is hard to completely suppress news like this."

"Suppress harder, then!"

"Yes, Bren."

Ambra dismissed Lonnodren and turned her chair back around to look out over The Civic. The normally blistering summer sun was hidden behind clouds, and a light, misty rain cooled the temperature outside. She pressed a button to open a window, and she breathed in the damp fresh air.

A beep from the communicator sounded. Ambra swung her chair back and answered the call.

Aloyd Falentha's image appeared.

"This better be good news," said Ambra gruffly.

"It is," said Falentha with a guarded smile. "Karthen took the bait. She sent two cruisers, the Assurance and the Triumph, against the Implacable, but we were ready for them. We destroyed the Assurance; the other unfortunately escaped, but took damage."

"Any survivors?"

"Yes, we picked up some survivors from the Assurance. We have kept the higher-ranking officers; the rest were executed. We are bringing them back to Kalenth so you can interrogate them yourself."

Ambra's mood was lifted by the news. "Excellent. Hurry back."

"Yes, Bren. Out." Falentha's holographic image faded from view.

She finally had a victory for her side in this conflict, which pleased her greatly. This calls for a special kind of celebration, she thought, but she would have to wait until she returned to her penthouse for that. Ambra pressed a button on the comm. "Prep my shuttle, I am returning to the capital."

~~~~

Gral'hilanth ended her communication with the Bren and made sure the signal was off before she allowed a satisfied smile. She looked up from her desk at Commodore Eadmon, who had just entered the aloyd's ready room.

"So far everything is going to plan," said Gral'hilanth. "I just reported to the Bren that our trap worked."

Garin nodded. "That's the easy part though."

Gral'hilanth didn't need reminding of that. The first part of the plan had been easy. As far as the Illustrious and Implacable were concerned, it was a genuine attack. They were unaware the ASD ships were being controlled remotely, and the 'survivors' the Relentless had picked up, were from a shuttle that had flown into the wreckage, while the Illustrious and Implacable gave chase to the Triumph.

The aloyd came out from around her desk, walked to a side credenza where a full bottle of durmywid and two glasses were sitting on a tray. She poured one for the commodore and one for herself. The two women toasted to their success thus far and drank the dark liquor in one go. Gral'hilanth enjoyed the alcohol burn at the back of her throat; it was the first time in a long time that she drank it in celebration. 

Gral'hilanth stared at the bottom of the empty glass, but her thoughts were light-years away.

"You've gone quiet. What is the matter?" Garin asked.

Gral'hilanth glanced up and then down at the glass again. "I am not sure I can pull it off."

"What do you mean?" Garin wore a look of concern as she lowered her glass.

"I am not sure I can get the Bren on board the Relentless," Gral'hilanth confessed. She tried shaking off her doubts. "I know she will be more than eager to question the so-called captives herself."

"So, then what is the problem?"

Gral'hilanth took the glass from Garin and returned the empty glasses to the side table, allowing her time to give voice to her fears. "The Bren is suspicious by nature, and she can tell when someone is lying by the subtle ways their body betrays them. I have learned to be good at lying to her, but there were times I was not always successful and paid dearly for it." She turned back to face the commodore, but still could not meet Garin's gaze. "The fate of the Hegemony is riding on this. I fear I won't be able to pull it off."

Garin touched Gral'hilanth's arm, and the aloyd immediately looked up. "It is precisely because there is so much riding on this that I know you will not fail."

A beep sounded and a voice came over the intercom from the bridge. Gral'hilanth recognised the communication as coming from her first officer at the command chair. "Go ahead."

"Sir, the prisoners have been brought on board," Commander Peamertin replied.

"Very well. Have them taken to room G-1."

"Sir?"

"You heard me, Commander. We will be heading there now, and I want you to accompany us."

"Yes, sir."

Gral'hilanth and Garin exchanged a determined look. They knew it was time to tell Peamertin the truth.

The aloyd, commodore, and commander left the bridge and made their way to the VIP guest quarters normally reserved for the Bren. It was separate from crew quarters and the general access areas, and it would be less likely for anyone other than senior officers to be in that part of the ship. There was a certain irony not lost on Gral'hilanth that she was having the ASD prisoners brought there.

After entering the suite of rooms, Gral'hilanth addressed Commander Peamertin. "All transmissions from this ship are hereby restricted, senior commanding officer only," she said. "The mission we are about to undertake is top secret."

The tall, broad-shouldered woman didn't hide her bewilderment. "Sir? I thought we were returning to Kalenth with our prisoners?"

Gral'hilanth exchanged a look with Garin. "Yes, but not in the way you expect. Our mission is to transport the people being brought on board to Kalenth, where we will arrest the Bren and bring this conflict to an end," she explained.

Peamertin face registered her shock. "You are betraying the Bren?"

Gral'hilanth regarded both the commodore and the commander. "No. We are."

"Enice," Eadmon spoke to her first officer. "We are soldiers. We do what every soldier must do: bring about an end to the conflict we find ourselves in as quickly as possible with the minimum casualties."

"We could do that by killing Karthen," the commander responded.

"Lentol is in the wrong," said Gral'hilanth. "She executes her opponents and holds the children of her allies as hostages to ensure their continued support. That is not the sign of a stable leader. She must be stopped."

"I—"

Gral'hilanth cut off the commander. "I am your superior officer, and I am giving you a direct order. The people being brought here are our guests and will be treated accordingly. Knowledge of their identities is to be kept secret. When we arrive at Kalenth, we will help them do what they must. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes, sir." Peamertin snapped to attention. "Forgive me. It's just that it's…" She paused as if choosing her words carefully, "…an unexpected turn."

Gral'hilanth was about to respond when the door opened. The group entered the VIP guest suite, accompanied by a security detail from the Relentless. Eadmon immediately ordered the guards to take up positions at each end of the corridor and not allow access to anyone except the three command officers present. The leader of the security detail acknowledged their orders, placed a bag containing the weapons taken off the group on a nearby table, and left.

Gral'hilanth regarded the group before her. They all wore standard issue, dark-green combat uniforms except Karthen - who wore her dark-grey Rivelor's uniform. Some of the faces staring back at her were unfamiliar. She decided to go through formal introductions. "Welcome aboard the Relentless. I am Aloyd, Second-Class Gral'hilanth ap Falentha." She gestured towards her right and said, "This is Commodore Garin Eadmon." She then introduced the woman standing to her left. "And this is Commander Enice Peamertin, First Officer of the Relentless."

The first officer stood there with her mouth agape. She obviously recognised their guest, but Gral'hilanth went through the formalities. "This is Rivelor Kikola Mariantha Jacand ap Karthen, Commander of the Arai Soon Dukwelud."

The commodore cleared her throat which prompted Peamertin to close her mouth and come to attention.

"At ease, Commander," Karthen replied. She went down the line and introduced the others in her group. "This is Captain Wurth, my adjutant, Tehvay Veilan, my Special Advisor, Rikana Lardis, head of staff security, Commander Breena Eadmon, and my security detail for this mission, Lieutenant Gailt, Corporal Tunbor, Corporal Slivent, and Private Raal."

Garin acknowledged her sister Bree with a cordial nod, and then addressed the Rivelor. "I trust you had an uneventful journey."

"Yes, everything went according to plan," Karthen replied.

Before Gral'hilanth and Garin had left Karthen's base, the details of their audacious plan were discussed and agreed upon. However, with the inclusion of Commander Peamertin, Gral'hilanth felt the need to brief everyone on the next phase of the plan. "Once we are in orbit around Kalenth, I will contact the Bren and bring her back to the Relentless. When she arrives, the Bren will expect an honour guard detail to be present and follow her from the shuttle bay. When I get her here, you can formally arrest her. "

"Agreed, but I want my people to be the guard detail," Karthen replied.

"I suggest one of each," said Commodore Eadmon diplomatically.

Karthen nodded. "Lieutenant Gailt." She glanced at the soldier who stood a little taller at the mention of his name.

"Fine." The aloyd turned to Eadmon. "Ensign Aylandro will be the other. Brief him when it is time."

The commodore acknowledged the order. "We have yet to talk about what happens afterwards," Garin said.

It was then Gral'hilanth focussed on Tehvay, who stood between Karthen and Lardis. She wanted to give Tehvay a chance to have a say in what happened to the woman who had her sister executed. It was the least Gral'hilanth could do to offer Tehvay some measure of control. "What happens after we take Lentol into custody?"

Karthen started to speak, but Gral'hilanth interrupted. "I meant that question for Tehvay."

Tehvay looked startled when attention was focussed on her. After a moment's contemplation, Tehvay stepped forward. "I want justice for my sister."

Gral'hilanth was surprised at Tehvay's response. When this defection was first conceived, the one thing that motivated Gral'hilanth to go through with it was revenge. When Ambra was fucking her, beating her, humiliating her, it was the fantasies about all the ways she would publically humiliate Ambra before she executed her that kept Gral'hilanth going. "Do you not want revenge?"

"I started out from Trengos seeking revenge," Tehvay replied. "But hate is not good for the one doing the hating. So, Lentol's arrest will not be an act of revenge. It will be an act of justice. After that, I don't care. She will no longer be a problem for anyone. That is all I care about."

Tehvay was right, but Gral'hilanth had only considered the personal angle. This was much bigger than one person's quest for revenge. She was impressed that Tehvay was no longer the slave she once was, but an independent woman who knew her own mind and was prepared to speak it. Gral'hilanth found new respect for her.

"Very well," Gral'hilanth said.

Commodore Eadmon spoke up. "We have time to iron out the details later, but right now, I suggest you settle in for the trip back to Kalenth."

Gral'hilanth added, "This will be your home for the next two days. It might be a bit cramped for all of you, but I am sure you will cope."

"May we keep our weapons?" asked Karthen.

Gral'hilanth took a moment to mull over her response. She could say 'No! You didn't let me keep my weapon when I came to your base.' Or she could show Karthen that she was the better person. She chose to be the better person for her own sake.

"As long as you don't use them on my crew," Gral'hilanth replied.

"We won't shoot first," said Karthen.

"I might," muttered Lardis. Her dark eyes were glaring at Gral'hilanth.

"It doesn't matter, you won't get the chance," said Gral'hilanth. "For everyone's benefit, you will remain in this suite. You should have everything you require here, but if there is something you need, contact me on the comm. It is set on a secure channel directly to me."

As they left the suite, Gral'hilanth heard Karthen telling Lardis that her weapon better remain on stun. Any complaint from Lardis was cut off when the door shut.

"What now?" asked Peamertin.

"Return to duty," said Eadmon. "Do not speak of this to any of the crew."

When the commander was gone, Gral'hilanth turned to her co-conspirator. "Too late to turn back."

"We are doing the right thing."

"Of that I have no doubt," said Gral'hilanth.

~~~~

Tehvay was finding it hard to sleep; a jumble of thoughts kept crowding her mind, making it difficult for her body to give in to fatigue. For two days there was little else she could do but think about what they were going to do once they arrived at Kalenth. She thought about their plans to rebuild the government after Ambra, and how they would reshape the Hegemony into the egalitarian society its founders had envisioned but never achieved. Tehvay also thought about how she would react when she finally came face to face with the woman who had ordered Yuniph's death. 

She looked down at the sleeping woman lying next to her, and she thought about Trengos and the simple, uncomplicated life they had made for themselves there. What kind of life will we build together on Kalenth? Tehvay wondered. It worried her a little. As a slave she was conditioned not to think about the future. For a slave, there was no future, only endless moments of labour and humiliation until death. She had never dared entertain the idea of having a future, let alone a future as big as the one they were speeding towards.

There was a loud beep and Kikola woke up. "It's all right," said Tehvay. "It's just the comm."

Kikola reached over, turned off the comm, and settled in the crook of Tehvay's arm.

"You shouldn't have done that," Tehvay said. "It may have been important."

Kikola raised herself up and drew Tehvay's face towards her. "There is nothing more important to me than this." She pressed a tender kiss on Tehvay's lips.

Tehvay welcomed the distraction from her sobering thoughts and moved down to give Kikola her full attention. Tehvay leaned over and ran her fingers through Kikola's dark brown hair. Tehvay felt such love for the woman whose brown eyes sparkled and whose smile lit up the darkened room. Tehvay drew Kikola closer, her tongue tracing a slow, sensual path from lips to ear.

In a breathy whisper, Tehvay said, "Whatever happens today, know that I love you."

"I love you too," Kikola replied in a way that invited Tehvay to kiss her more deeply.

As she caressed Kikola's tongue with her own, Tehvay freed her hand from underneath the small of Kikola's back. Tehvay matched her tongue's exploration of Kikola's mouth with an exploration of Kikola's naked form, starting from her abdomen and moving up to her breast. Unfortunately, their foreplay was interrupted by a knock on their bedroom door.

Captain Wurth's voice called out from the other side of the door. "Rivelor, sorry to disturb you. We have received a transmission."

As ill-timed as it was, duty called. Kikola gave Tehvay one last, lingering kiss and a look that was both an apology and a promise. She climbed out of bed, grabbed a robe, put it on, and slipped out the door.

Tehvay pulled the covers up and hunkered down. It wasn't for modesty's sake, but an almost reflexive, protective instinct against the unknown future that lay outside the door. When Kikola returned a few moments later, Tehvay noticed her demeanour had changed.

"What's the matter?" asked Tehvay.

"We are two hours away from Kalenth," Kikola replied. "We need to get ready. Will you get my breakfast while I take a quick shower?"

"Sure." Tehvay got out of bed and moved to the room's food dispenser. She pressed the button for the nutrient drink Kikola preferred to start her day. It feels very familiar, thought Tehvay. How easily the two of us have slipped back into a shipboard routine – Kikola the aloyd and me the.... Tehvay dismissed the thought. She was here to support Kikola, not to serve her. But how do I do that? she wondered.

When Kikola came out of the bathroom, Tehvay offered her the drink.

Only after Kikola had finished her breakfast drink did she speak.  "Thank you. You better get ready too. I need you with me."

"I'm not sure you do," said Tehvay.

Kikola handed the glass back to Tehvay. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, you were born for this, and you are ready for what is to come when we arrive." Tehvay lowered her eyes and stared into the empty glass. "Who am I? What can I offer? I'm just going to be a distraction for you."

Kikola lifted Tehvay's chin and held her gaze. "You are the most important thing in my life. I can't do this without you."

Tehvay nodded and started to turn, but a hand on her arm stopped her.

Tehvay smiled. "Today there are different priorities. I understand."

"Do you?"

Tehvay put her arms around Kikola. "You have put me and my well-being first. You sacrificed a lot for it – for me. Of course, I understand. Today is your day. I will be here for you."

"No. Today is our day, and I want you there for it. Tonight, after we have succeeded, I will give you my undivided attention."

Tehvay reached out and lovingly cupped Kikola's cheek. "I already know I have everything I want from you." She moved her hand over Kikola's heart. "This." She could see in Kikola's eyes that the gesture was understood.

Tehvay removed her hand and went to get dressed. As they were about to leave their room and join the others, Kikola paused and turned to Tehvay. "I need to focus on this," she said. "I might not show it today, but please do not think I don't need you. This is not my destiny – it is ours."

~~~~

Everyone in suite G-1 was watching the monitor as the shuttle entered the hangar of the Relentless and settled on the deck. Tehvay stood to the right of where Kikola was standing, and to her right stood Rikana. Captain Wurth, Commander Eadmon, Commodore Eadmon, and the first officer of the Relentless, Commander Peamertin, were standing behind Kikola, also engrossed in what was unfolding on the monitor. Three members of the ASD security detail stood near the entrance to the suite; their attention was focussed solely on the door.

Tehvay was starting to feel warm in her military issued uniform. She adjusted the thermal regulator on the Pup on her right cuff, before turning her attention back to the monitor. There was no sound, only visuals. Ambra ap Lentol and Gral'hilanth ap Falentha exited the shuttle. Two security guards marched forward, saluted, and fell into position behind the two women.

"Gee, I hope Gailt doesn't trip. I'd hate to see his weapon discharge and kill Lentol by accident," replied Rikana sarcastically.

Rikana's comment drew the attention of Wurth and Peamertin. Tehvay noticed that Kikola stayed silent, ignoring the remark, her eyes remaining transfixed on the monitor. When the Bren's group left the hangar, the view changed to follow them along the corridor. From the corridor, they entered a lift and took it to the VIP level. A short walk from the lift brought the group to a door marked 'G-1'. Everyone in the room turned to the door. Eventually it opened and the Bren was escorted into the common lounge area.

"Karthen!" The word was spat rather than spoken. "What is the meaning of this?"

Kikola stepped forward. "Ambra Kartrine ap Lentol, you are under arrest for conspiracy and other crimes against The Kalenth Hegemony."

"Guards!" Ambra called out. "Aloyd Falentha, arrest these people!"

Gral'hilanth nodded to the officer in charge of the security detail. The guards took hold of Lentol and cuffed her hands behind her back.

"Your short reign is at an end," she said.

Lentol glared at the aloyd. "I made you, and I can break you if you don't help me!"

"You've already broken me." Gral'hilanth removed her uniform jacket and threw it at Lentol's feet. "I resign my commission. You can't order me anymore. I would rather be Hebsifilla than be your slave another second."

What happened next seemed a blur, it happened so quickly. Tehvay saw Gral'hilanth turn away from Lentol as Lentol again called out for someone to help her. Within a heartbeat, Gral'hilanth was rushing towards Tehvay. Her outstretched hands caught Tehvay in the upper chest and sent her tumbling backwards. A bright flash filled the room. Less than a second later there was another flash.

Tehvay found herself on the floor feeling a little disoriented. She tried to make sense of what had just happened, but things were still happening too quickly. Rikana was swearing, Commodore Eadmon was calling for a medic, and Kikola was rushing to Tehvay's side.

"Tehvay, are you all right?" asked Kikola.

"Yes," Tehvay replied. "I think so." She felt a bit sore after being shoved out of the way by Gral'hilanth. Kikola helped her to her feet.

Tehvay looked around the room and found Gral'hilanth. She was lying on the floor, and Commodore Eadmon was kneeling next to her. Tehvay turned her head and saw an angry looking Rikana standing over the prone form of Commander Peamertin. Lentol's laughter filled the room.

"Rikana," Kikola called out.

"She's out. I'm sorry."

"Not your fault," said Kikola.

"I'm sorry my weapon was set on stun." Rikana kicked the unconscious figure.

"Rikana, focus!" Kikola left Tehvay's side, retrieved a set of restraints from one of the guards, and tossed them to Rikana. Kikola then grabbed Lentol by the collar and dragged her to a seat against the far wall and roughly pushed her down, silencing the laughter.

"Commodore, how is she?" Kikola called out.

Eadmon shook her head.

Tehvay stumbled forward towards Gral'hilanth. Her bright-blue eyes fluttered and focussed on Tehvay. "Sorry. Forgive me?" she asked.

"Yes." Tehvay knelt down and took her hand. "I forgive you."

Gral'hilanth smiled with a far-off look in her eyes. "Kami—" Her body jerked. "—na." She fell still.

 

Chapter 13

Author's Page

Back to the Academy