CHAPTER 4

 

As she stood in front of a full-length mirror in her bedroom, Kikola sensed the subtle vibration of the Fearless at light speed. The ship was speeding towards her destiny, and in order to meet it, she needed to dress the part. Once I put this on, there is no going back, Kikola thought. She ran a hand across the dark-grey material; the cool metal and carbon weave felt like skin under her fingers.

She recalled the last time she had taken it off, on Boran's ship on Alopan. At that time, she believed she would never wear it again, but couldn't bear to throw it away. She slid her arms into the sleeves and fastened her jacket. As she regarded her reflection, Kikola noted the fit wasn't quite right. However, it felt right wearing it.

After straightening her collar, Kikola powered on the Personal Utility Panel built into the cuff of her jacket. She had disconnected it when she had forsaken her role. After a few seconds the device signalled that it had synched with the ship's computer, and displayed initial readouts, including her name and the time.

Kikola then moved to a side table next to the wardrobe. Upon it was the small box given to her by Aloyd Willenth. She removed the Aloyd, Third-Class insignia from her collar and placed it on the table. Slowly she opened the box. Inside was a pin that only measured one centimetre in diameter – a miniature representation of the insignia of The Kalenth Hegemony Military, the same insignia as adorned the jacket of her uniform: a gold, stylised phoenix and star field, surrounded by a ring. Within the outer ring, representing the five founding families, were tiny white diamonds and the words of the official motto: Dothi, Cyfaw, Cydra, Fynia, Cymda.

Kikola appreciated the artistry of it before she appreciated the enormity of what it represented. She took it out of its box. It was the rank insignia of Rivelor, last worn by her great-grandfather, Petril ap Karthen, during the conquest of the Lamantian Empire over a hundred years ago. The responsibility weighed heavily upon her.

She moved back to the mirror and took a calming breath before fixing the insignia to her collar. Once she ensured the insignia was positioned correctly, Kikola straightened her jacket once more, made a sharply executed about-face, and walked out of the bedroom. She stopped in the middle of the lounge and looked at the two women who were seated in occasional chairs waiting for her.

"There. What do you think?"

"Very smart," Tehvay said.

"Yeah, a right proper Hegger, you are now," Rikana sneered. She walked around Kikola, sizing her up. "I thought you were different."

"I am the same person," Kikola countered. "However, the military respect this uniform, and I have to wear it if we are to have a chance in defeating Lentol."

Rikana put her hands on her hips. "Isn't that the enemy's uniform?"

"No," said Kikola. "The enemy is wearing our uniform."

"It's not my uniform." Rikana squared her shoulders and folded her arms. "I don't like it."

"I am not asking you to like it." Kikola reached out and touched Rikana's arm. "I am asking you to understand why I must wear it."

Rikana humphed but unfolded her arms, which signalled to Kikola that her young friend understood. Kikola faced Tehvay. "So, what do you think, really?" She tugged at the jacket hoping to make it fit better for Tehvay's inspection.

"What do I think?" Tehvay had a serious look as she stepped forward to give Kikola a close inspection.

Kikola played along and stood at attention.

Tehvay raised her hand to feign straightening out Kikola's rank insignia. "I think wow!" Her hand slowly ran the length of Kikola's left sleeve. "I had forgotten just how striking you are in this uniform."

Kikola sensed her pulse quicken at the feel of Tehvay's hand caress her arm. She drew Tehvay in closer and smiled knowingly. "I have not forgotten how it felt when you helped me out of my uniform." She leaned in and whispered, "It was sweet torture, because I couldn't do this." Kikola took Tehvay's face in her hands and drew her into a prolonged and meaningful kiss, her tongue eager to fuel the intense feelings such memories held.

Rikana interrupted loudly. "I'm starving! Anybody else hungry? For food, I mean?"

In unison, both Kikola and Tehvay glanced at Rikana, shook their heads, and continued to feed their mutual desire.

"Where is the dining room again?" Rikana asked.

Without taking her lips away from Tehvay's, Kikola replied, "Two decks down."

Kikola returned her attention to Tehvay and distantly heard Rikana speak. "I'll go eat then, and… and you can… do that."

It was followed by the sound of a door opening. They broke the kiss when the door closed behind Rikana.

"I guess we were being rude," said Kikola, glancing around Tehvay towards the door. "Never mind, where were we?"

Tehvay smiled, and then suddenly stepped back beyond Kikola's reach. Her expression had markedly changed.

"What is wrong?" Kikola asked.

"I'm sorry," Tehvay said. "It just hit me – the last time I saw you in this uniform. It was when I was taken away."

Kikola remembered the military enquiry into her killing Supreme-Aloyd Taliss. It was not her proudest moment, leaving Tehvay to be taken and given to the Taliss family as compensation.

Tehvay continued, "It was the worst day of my life."

Kikola knew Tehvay had experienced many bad days as a slave; the fact that she had been the cause of the worst one shamed her.

There was a silence between them as each was alone in their own thoughts. Tehvay was the first to speak. "Seeing you in uniform has made me realise we're going to war. I fear we might not come back from this. There is a good chance that we could be killed."

"I will do everything in my power not to let that happen," Kikola said even though it was a promise Kikola wasn't absolutely sure she could keep.

That seemed to reassure Tehvay, because she drew closer again and placed her hands on Kikola's chest. "I'm proud of you," she said.

"And I you." Kikola wrapped her arms around Tehvay's waist until there was no space for a molecule of air to pass through.

Their lips met in a warm kiss, full of love and tenderness, and then another full of passion and urgency. Tehvay was the one to break it off, but only to take Kikola's hand and lead her to the bedroom.

Tehvay reprised their ritual of removing Kikola's uniform. With reverence, she helped Kikola remove the uniform jacket and laid it over a nearby chair. Next, at Tehvay's prompting, Kikola raised her arms while her undershirt was lifted over her head. This time Tehvay was not as careful about where it landed. Kikola was already aroused, but her body was flooded with longing as Tehvay's tongue traced a line from her breasts down to her naval as her hand moved along the inside of her waistband. Kikola felt her knees go weak when Tehvay's skin lightly brush against her hips and down her legs pulling her trousers down. With her freshly pressed trousers now crumpled on the floor, Kikola fell backwards onto the bed, naked and ready. Tehvay quickly stripped off her dress and joined her in a fiery kiss.

Kikola welcomed Tehvay's exploration with hands, lips, and tongue. She thought she would lose her mind as Tehvay's mouth found her moist inner folds and her tongue playfully darted in and out. When Kikola was almost delirious with yearning for release, Tehvay obliged and Kikola was transported to a transcendental place of sheer, blissful pleasure.

Kikola finally came back to her senses and opened her eyes. She was surprised to see that Tehvay was lying flat on her back, naked and open.

"Okay, your turn."

"My turn?"

"Yes, your turn." Tehvay glanced down towards the lower half of her body.

Kikola was both excited and terrified. "Oh, you mean… you, me… are you sure?" There had been other invitations, other attempts, but Tehvay's past abuse rose up like a thief to rob her of physical pleasure at Kikola's touch.

Tehvay rolled onto her side and caressed Kikola's cheek. "You were so beautiful, so overcome with joy. If we are going to war and there is a chance we might die, I want to know what it feels like to experience the fullness of your love."

~~~~

Rikana entered the Officers' Mess. Like nearly every room she had been in on the ship, it was grey. Square tables, some pushed together to form rectangles, were arranged in rows. Against the wall opposite the door was a long table laden with large dishes and platters. A couple of officers were at the table serving themselves.

A hush came over the room with her presence. Rikana disregarded the stares and wandered over to the table to get some food. She picked up a tray, put a plate and some cutlery on it, and then started to move along the selection. She placed a few slices of some unidentified light-coloured meat on her plate.

A voice came from over her shoulder. "Are you lost? This is the Officers' Mess."

Rikana ignored the challenge and the person making it. She lifted the lid covering a dish of calrot.

A hand appeared and pushed the lid back down. "You might be friends with the Rivelor, but you're no officer. Or maybe you came here to serve us our meal, since we no longer have slaves to do it."

Rikana turned and regarded the officer who was soon going to be in sickbay. He was easily two metres tall and had broad shoulders. There was an insignia consisting of three white 'X' shapes pinned to the right collar of his light-grey uniform. The name on his Pup read 'Henato'.

"No," said Rikana simply, and turned once more to the dish of vegetables.

Henato's hand descended on the lid again. "Do I have to make you understand?"

Rikana put her tray down, squared her shoulders, and stood facing him. "Aw, what's the matter? Did your mummy forget to put clean underwear out for you and now you're all cranky?"

A few people around the room chuckled, which appeared to annoy Henato. "You think your pathetic teasing is going to get a rise out me? Think again."

"Trust me, a 'rise' is the last thing I want to get out of you," Rikana replied as she focussed her eyes down at his crotch.

The laughter grew louder. Henato turned red, and closed his fist, but held back.

"Are you too much of a coward to hit me?" taunted Rikana.

"Are you too much of a coward to hit me?" he said, mocking her accent.

The Trengosian accent was one that seemed to soften the consonants and make the vowels harder. To Rikana's ears it was imperceptible. The Hegemony accent, by comparison, stood out like a sore thumb. Clipped vowel sounds and sharper consonants. At least that was how Kikola and the officers on the Fearless sounded to Rikana. Tehvay's accent was different; the vowel sounds were flattened. Only when someone tried to mimic the Trengosian accent did Rikana notice how it might sound to others. That started to irritate her.

Henato switched back to his normal voice. "Come on. Hit me, you little shit."

Rikana opened her mouth, took an exaggeratedly noisy intake of breath, held it, and then let it out slowly. "I wouldn't waste my time," she said, and turned back to getting her meal. A lesson she had learned from Kikola was not to get angry in a confrontation. Anger leads to mistakes. Let this feeta do that. Besides, Rikana didn't like being told what to do.

Henato growled. Before his fist got halfway to her face, Rikana picked up the dish of calrot and threw them in his face. She followed it up with the dish itself and a kick to the groin.

"Ow!" Her cry was involuntary. Must be protected down there, she thought.

She dodged the incoming fist and jumped to avoid having her legs swept from underneath her. She grabbed the collar of Henato's uniform and hauled herself up. She had hoped to use her weight to force him to topple backwards. However, he twisted and the pair staggered, falling sideways onto a table and scattering the occupants and their meals.

"This is my favourite shirt," Rikana snarled as she gained her feet. Henato was bearing down on her, and she took a defensive stance, that Kikola had taught her, to meet his attack.

"Henato! Attention!"

Henato skidded to halt and immediately stood to attention. Rikana took the opportunity to land a hard punch to his nose. She heard a crack and knew his nose had been fractured.

"Don't fuck with me again," she hissed as the officer cried out in pain.

Captain Wurth stepped between her and Henato and regarded them both with a stern look. "I don't want to hear who started it. It's over."

"Tell—"

"Quiet!" Wurth rounded on Rikana and cut her off.

The captain looked around the room to make sure he had everyone's attention. "I don't want to have to deal with petty squabbling over who eats where. We have a war to fight." He pointed in the general direction of the ship's hull. "Out there is where the enemy is, not in here. Do I make myself clear?"

There was a chorus of "Yes, sir!"

Captain Wurth then turned to Henato, who was holding his hand under his nose trying to contain the bleeding. "Get yourself seen to, Lieutenant, and report to me when you're cleared for active duty."

Henato acknowledged his commanding officer's orders and left the mess.

"You and you," he pointed at two random officers. "Clean up this mess. And you," he pointed at Rikana. "If you want to eat in here, you can help them."

Rikana felt the need to break another nose.

"Please," added Wurth.

"Fuck you," Rikana grumbled under her breath and started to help the others.

~~~~

Tehvay glanced down at the arm draped over her abdomen. At that moment, she felt such love for the woman lying next to her, and such grief that once again she couldn't convince her body to relax and enjoy Kikola's touch.

On seeing Kikola dressed in her uniform again, Tehvay was transported back to when she was first attracted to the enigmatic aloyd, and the memory of it excited her. As she made love to Kikola, Tehvay felt a rush of desire so fervent that she was certain she could give herself fully to Kikola this time. It was all going well at first. Kikola was a kind and considerate lover. She didn't rush or overwhelm Tehvay, but took her time with slow exploration and gentle caresses. Tehvay loved her for it, and she could feel her arousal building.

As Kikola's hand moved lower, she paused to see if Tehvay was all right with what she was doing. Tehvay felt her abdomen clench, but she willed herself to stay calm and encouraged Kikola to keep going. She wanted this so badly. She held her breath as Kikola entered her. She tried to shut off all the inner turmoil and just allow her body to relax and enjoy the feelings of connectedness. After a few minutes, however, it was obvious that her body had shut down and was not going to respond to Kikola's gentle probing. She moved Kikola's hand away and asked her to stop.

Tehvay was sure Kikola was disappointed, but nothing was said. There was no longer a hopeful 'next time' anymore, just acceptance. When Tehvay started to apologise, Kikola silenced her with a kiss.

As they rested in each other's arms, Tehvay couldn't help thinking back to the last time her body experienced an orgasm. It was many years ago, shortly after Faelene Gallish had taken ownership of her. At the first party she attended as Gallish's property, one of the male slaves was selected to perform oral sex on Tehvay and her body had responded. After the party, Gallish punished her for having an orgasm and started the desensitisation training to condition Tehvay not to respond to genital stimulation.

Tehvay tried to shake off those awful memories. She was free and in the arms of the woman she loved. That should be all that mattered to her, but it wasn't. It made Tehvay sad and it made her angry to think that Gallish's cruelty was still denying her the ability to fully enjoy the celebration of intimacy with Kikola.

She searched her mind to find another topic to focus on, but her thoughts went from Gallish's cruelty to the society that allowed it.

"How could something so evil last for so long?" Tehvay wondered out loud.

Kikola stirred. "Did you say something?" She opened her eyes and focussed on Tehvay.

"The Hegemony. Why has no one ever done anything to stop its oppression of innocent people?"

"Some have tried, but they have failed," Kikola said sleepily.

Tehvay moved away from Kikola and sat up. "Why did they fail?"

"They failed because they did not know what they were fighting against."

Tehvay leant against the headboard. "What do you mean?"

Kikola sat up as well. "The Hegemony is not the enemy," she explained. "The Hegemony is not evil. If you fight against it, you will lose."

Hearing Kikola defend the Hegemony ignited Tehvay's smouldering indignation. "Are you saying the Hegemony is good? That it's right? Right to enslave people?"

Kikola immediately denied that was her intention. "No, I am not saying it is right to enslave people. I am saying it is not the Hegemony that is doing it, but the people who run it. The Elit."

"They're the same thing."

"No, they are not." Kikola got up and stood at the edge of the bed. "The Hegemony, the original Hegemony as it was intended, was meant to be benevolent, as were the people who founded it. They believed that everyone should work for the betterment of society. Each planet, system, or empire should be independent if they wished, but that there should be core ideals to which all should adhere. The motto."

"Motto?" asked Tehvay.

She watched Kikola retrieve her uniform jacket and point at the emblem on the chest. "The official motto of The Kalenth Hegemony was sacred to the founders: Dothi, Cyfaw, Cydra, Fynia, Cymda."

"What?" Tehvay frowned at the strange words.

"It's the old language. It means: Wisdom, Justice, Equality, Prosperity, Society. Through Wisdom comes Justice; through Justice comes Equality; through Equality comes Prosperity; through Prosperity comes Society."

"Then why did it go so horribly wrong?" asked Tehvay.

"Because people are inherently selfish. After generations of resistance to their ideas, the families that founded the Hegemony became selfish and arrogant. It became more about conquest than cooperation. Resources were no longer being shared. Everything became about maintaining the wealth and status of the Elit. It happened slowly, and when things happen slowly you do not notice until it is too late."

"But someone noticed," said Tehvay. "You said someone tried to stop them."

"They did – in Year 451, on Alopan. There was an uprising. Millions were killed or executed, millions more were sent to penal colonies. The Hegemony only just maintained control, and for a further nine years it was still on shaky ground. That was when they introduced slavery. The prisoners from the Alopan uprising were enslaved."

"And there was no opposition to slavery?"

"Some, but most were afraid to speak out. If the Alopanians ended up as slaves for rising up against the Elit, then so could they."

Tehvay pondered what Kikola had said. "If you knew all this, how could you support it?"

"I was not taught it that way," Kikola replied. "I was taught that the stubbornness of the masses needed to be overcome. That only the Elit were enlightened enough to understand, and that the Quernal were better off under our control. Only after meeting you have I re-evaluated what it must look like from the other side, and that view is most probably the reality of it."

"Surely you couldn't be the first Elit to question it."

"Maybe not, but it is easier to keep to the path of least resistance, to conform rather than to confront.

Tehvay got excited when an idea came to her. She sat up straight and faced Kikola. "So, what you're saying is in order to beat the Hegemony we have to fight the status quo. Educate the Elit. Get them to change their way of thinking, and they can change the Hegemony from within. Put it back on course to fulfil its original goal of Wisdom, Justice, Equality, Prosperity, and Society."

"Yes," Kikola replied.

"Can we succeed?"

"Yes," Kikola replied. She looked down at the uniform jacket and ran a finger over the insignia on the collar. "Every aloyd dreams of being the Rivelor. When I found out I was to be it, I no longer cared. You were more important to me by then. Now though, I can do both – be Rivelor and care for you. Before I killed Supreme-Aloyd Taliss, he told me that my destiny was to go down in history as the last Rivelor, the one who would change the Hegemony forever. That is what I am going to do. With you, I am going to change the Hegemony and make sure there is no need for another Rivelor after me."

Tehvay shuffled across the bed on her knees and placed a hand on Kikola's waist. With the other she took the jacket and tossed it on the floor. She coaxed Kikola back onto the bed and manoeuvred her onto her knees. Tehvay positioned her head between Kikola's legs and had her lower herself down until she could reach Kikola's nether lips with her tongue.

The beeping of a communicator destroyed the moment.

Kikola scrambled to answer the call. Tehvay lay still and waited.

Eventually Kikola returned and sat down next to Tehvay on the bed.

"Sorry. I… It's Rikana."

"Rikana?" Tehvay sat up. "Is she all right?"

"I have to go." Kikola hastily grabbed some underwear off the floor and stepped into them. "She is fine – a lieutenant not so. It is best I see to the matter now." She looked down. "These are yours." She stepped out of the underwear and searched for her own.

Tehvay smiled. How could the woman who was going to end the suffering of millions put on the wrong underwear? She watched Kikola collect the rest of her uniform and get dressed, wishing she could entice her to abandon the uniform to the floor and come back to bed.

After Kikola had gone, Tehvay felt at a loss for what to do. Her memories had unsettled her and without Kikola there, she needed something to hold for comfort. Tehvay got out of bed and moved to a container stored inside the wardrobe. She reached in and pulled out the toy dryg that had belonged to her late sister, Yuniph. Tehvay retreated back to bed, cradling the old soft toy to her stomach and drifted off to sleep.

 ~~~~

Rikana lay on the bed and stared up at the grey ceiling. She was bored. The confrontation in the dining room had been a minor distraction, and helping to clean up afterwards had been a drudge, but it had occupied her attention. Now there was nothing to do. At least the meal was tasty, she thought. Hegemony military cuisine was surprisingly good. More so than the company, she thought. She cast a glance at her shirt that had been ruined in the fight. She had tossed it on the bedroom floor when she got back to her quarters. Bastard.

She was starting to get frustrated, and the best relief for frustration as far as Rikana was concerned was sex. She sighed and held her hand in front of her face. Just you and me, kid.

She shed the rest of her clothes, and was about to get down to business when the door chime sounded. She hauled herself off the bed to go and answer it, pausing only to put on a large black short-sleeved shirt.

On seeing Kikola, Rikana slumped her shoulders and walked away. "If you've come to tell me off about the fight, don't bother."

"I have not come to tell you off," Kikola replied.

"So, why are you here?" Rikana collapsed into a chair and slung her leg over its arm. She waved in the general direction of another chair. "Sit down. You make the place look untidy."

Kikola remained standing and crossed her arms. "I am disappointed in you."

Rikana glanced up. "I thought you weren't here to give me grief over the fight."

"You lost."

"Huh? What?" It wasn't the response Rikana was expecting.

"You lost the fight," said Kikola. "You need more training. Come on, we will go for a workout now."

"I didn't lose," countered Rikana. "I broke that skeetop's nose." She pointed at her face. "Do you see my nose broken? Bruises? No."

"Only because he was not fighting at that point."

"That's his problem, not mine."

"I agree." Kikola finally took a seat. "Henato let his guard down and you took advantage. However, the bigger problem is that you didn't win before that. What did you do wrong?"

Rikana scowled at the floor for a few seconds. "He was better balanced than I anticipated."

Kikola leaned towards her. "What would you do differently?"

"Use my agility more," Rikana postulated. "Get in, strike, and get out of the way."

"What if he pulled his weapon? What would you do then?"

"I would jam it up his arse and fire it." When Kikola didn't react, Rikana shook her head. "Don't know."

"Where was your weapon?" Kikola asked.

"I left it here," Rikana replied. "I get enough hostile looks as it is."

"Take it with you. Wear it at all times. Wear it where it can be seen. Make sure that it's powered up, ready to fire quickly."

Rikana liked what she was hearing, but still had questions. "What good will that do?"

"That's enough time to get the first shot in. Stun setting," Kikola added. "I don't want you killing anyone on board. Also having it visible and powered up lets them know you can fire faster than they can."

"Won't they have their weapons powered up?"

"No. By regulation, while on board ship, all personal weapons must be powered down when carried. They can only be powered up when alert status is declared. That gives you a half a second to a second advantage."

"If it's regulation to have them powered down, won't I have to have mine powered down?"

Kikola smiled. "Since when have you cared about regulations?"

Rikana smiled back. "Since when have you not cared about regulations?"

"Since I met you." Kikola's smile faded. "I was taught to follow rules from an early age. At the academy, I was taught to obey commands and follow more rules. Then I was taught to win. It never occurred to me that I could break rules in order to win."

"What if someone challenges me about carrying a powered-up weapon?"

"Tell them I gave you permission. If they have any problem with that, they can come to me."

Rikana cackled. "I knew there was some benefit to being friends with you!"

"There is a serious side to this," Kikola explained. "I am trusting you to protect Tehvay. I have a vested interest in you not losing."

"I have a vested interest in me not losing, too."

Kikola stood up. "Come on, we will train."

"Now?"

"Yes, now."

Rikana remained seated. "It's late."

"The time is irrelevant. If the enemy attacked right now, would you tell them to come back in the morning?"

"Yes," Rikana stated challenging Kikola to disagree.

"What are you going to do when they don't listen to you?"

Rikana sighed and slowly unfolded herself from the chair. "I had a big meal. Don't be surprised if I throw up on you."

~~~~

Kikola braced for impact. The blow landed on the side of Kikola's torso. It hurt and might even leave a bruise. She blocked the follow up and went for the opening. Rikana's head jinked to the side. Clever move, thought Kikola.

Rikana came at her again and gripped Kikola's arm. Kikola rolled with the throw and grabbed the back of Rikana's shirt on the way down. As Kikola hit the mat, Rikana came tumbling down on top of her.

"Shit!" Rikana's epithet echoed off the walls of the exercise room as she scrambled to her feet.

Kikola remained down on the mat. "Well done."

"Don't patronise me, Kiks." Rikana scowled at the compliment. "You let me throw you."

"Yes. It was the only way I could get you on the floor. However, you got through my defences to make the throw." Kikola climbed to her feet and walked over to a nearby bench.

Rikana dropped down on the bench and reached for a canister of water. "Why do I have to do this training?" Rikana asked. "Can't I just shoot people?"

Kikola had begun giving Rikana instruction in Taro Di-Arm on Trengos. The young woman had taken her natural fighting skills and combined them with the traditional Kalenthian style of fighting, making her a capable opponent.

"You are good, but there is still much to learn," said Kikola. "Every soldier in the Hegemony military is proficient in Taro Di-Arm. It is more important than ever that you learn to master it."

Rikana asked, "What does Taro Di-Arm mean anyhow?" She took a mouthful of water.

"Unarmed combat," replied Kikola. "Though the literal translation is 'unarmed hitting'."

Kikola thought Rikana would find that funny and was not disappointed when the dark-haired woman threw back her head and cackled, spraying water everywhere.

Rikana wiped her face. "I prefer armed hitting. Just give me a fully charged IPB!" She pointed to her weapon that was lying on top of her kit bag.

Kikola glanced at the weapon. "We have better weapons," she said. "I will issue you with a new one, and we will do some weapons training with it tomorrow."

"'We have', 'I will issue'. You've fallen into being in charge awfully quickly." Rikana's tone was cautious.

Kikola shrugged. "A lifetime of training has prepared me to lead and necessity requires it." She picked up a towel to wipe the sweat off her face. "That blow you just landed. You weren't holding back were you?"

"No." Rikana took another swig from her water bottle. "Figured you could take it. You've hit me enough times."

"I would appreciate it if you could hold back a little during training. I know we have excellent medical facilities on board ship, but I would rather not make use of them."

Rikana cackled.

"I am not joking," said Kikola.

"I know. That's why I laughed."

Kikola shook her head. She was getting to know Rikana, but some of the young woman's ways were still a surprise.

"It—"

"I get it," Rikana cut her off. "I'll go easy on you."

Kikola turned away, put the towel down, and picked up her drink. She sensed Rikana getting closer and turned abruptly.

"Woah! I've really got you spooked. All this training must be paying off," said Rikana, raising her hands out to the side to show she was not attacking. "I just noticed a scar on the back of your neck. Did someone creep up behind you and do that?"

Kikola touched the spot on the back of her neck. She hadn't thought about her implant in ages. "It's a bio-enhancement. It improves my muscle strength and stamina. All aloyds have them implanted when they graduate."

"So, you had an unfair advantage all along. Figures."

"I had not considered it as unfair before. It's a privilege."

"Could I get one?" asked Rikana. She returned to the spot she had been sitting. "You know me, unfair advantages are my speciality."

"No," replied Kikola as she joined Rikana on the bench. "They are very expensive. They contain some very rare materials. Each one is individually engineered for the recipient. The aloyd must also take a course of drugs over several years prior to receiving the implant, to ensure that it is not rejected by the body."

"Yeah, well, not sure I'd want Hegger tech in my body anyway." Rikana wiped her face. "…I wouldn't mind some other tech… put… bod..." The towel muffled her words.

"What was that?"

"Uh! Nothing." Rikana seemed evasive, so Kikola didn't press the issue.

Several moments of silence passed before Rikana changed the subject. "Is everything all right with you and Tehvay?" asked Rikana. "You seem… I don't know… different?"

"How do you mean?"

"I mean normally you don't shut up about her – Tehvay this and Tehvay that. You haven't mentioned her once the whole time we've been here," Rikana observed. "Did something go wrong after I left you? It looked like someone would need a crowbar to separate the two of you then."

Did something go wrong? Kikola echoed in her mind. Yes. No. I don't know. Lots of jumbled up emotions were running through her head when she thought about Tehvay and their recent lovemaking. Kikola was feeling inadequate. She was feeling unfulfilled. She was feeling guilty for even having such feelings. I have no cause for complaint. For me it was wonderful. Tehvay was an experienced and attentive lover. Yet, Kikola thought, Tehvay's past demons are still preventing her from enjoying my touch.

"That good, huh?" Rikana queried. "I didn't realise bumping uglies could render someone speechless." Rikana let out one of her trademark cackles.

"Bumping uglies?" asked Kikola. "That's not a phrase I have heard before."

"It means…"

"I get the meaning."

"… bashing gash," Rikana continued. "Flicking feetas." Rikana stood up and started gyrating her hips with her hand hovering over her crotch. "Cleaning the curtains." She moved towards Kikola. "Irrigating the furrow. Munching the moosla." Rikana straddled Kikola's lap. "Tasting the—"

Kikola threw a towel at Rikana's face. "I said I got it."

Rikana caught the towel, and teased Kikola by twirling it in front of her.

Kikola yanked the towel away from Rikana.

"Whoa! Feeling a little frustrated." Rikana purred the last word.

"What?"

"It's been a few hours since you and Miss V… you know." Rikana winked, pursed her lips and made a kissing noise.

"I…uh…"

"Well I'm glad one of us is getting it." She waved a hand at Kikola. "Say hello to my sex life."

Kikola leaned back from Rikana's hand. "I don't need to know that!"

Rikana cackled and sat back down.

"There are plenty of men on board," Kikola continued. "I am sure you could find one ready, willing, and able."

"Could you order one to my bed?" Rikana made a dismissive noise. "Nah, I'm not fucking a Hegger. Everyone I've met on board is a skeetop."

Kikola knew the meaning of skeetop. It was a word usually aimed at the security forces when arresting a criminal. It was a blended word from the Trengosian slang words for excrement and opening. It brought up a subject that Kikola wanted to discuss with Rikana.

"I need to talk to you about your language and your jokes."

"What about them?" Rikana asked warily.

"They are fine when we are in private, but in strategy meetings, in front of those under my command, I would like you to tone it down. I'm not saying you can't be a bit sarcastic to make a point, but the coarse humour for the sake of shocking someone is not appropriate."

Rikana seemed unimpressed and moved away. Kikola tried a slightly different tack.

"People's lives are on the line, including yours. The crew of this ship are professionals. I want you to recognise that. In the Dansek Security Force they let you get away with it. In The Kalenth Hegemony military, you wouldn't last."

Rikana turned and faced Kikola again. "I'm not a Hegger."

"I know. I don't want you to be one, but you have to work with them." Kikola rubbed the back of her neck. This was harder than she thought it was going to be. She shifted her knee up onto the bench so she could look Rikana in the eyes and said, "I want you for your ability to break rules. I want you to look at things with an eye that those trained in the Hegemony don't have. Believe it or not, your unconventional ideas could give us victory. The best way for the crew to accept your ideas is if you don't offend them, and for you to take our situation seriously."

"What about them offending me?"

"Everything offends you, Rikana." Kikola smiled. "You thrive on it. However, you are better than them."

"Humph, I don't know about that." Rikana cackled. "What am I talking about? I'm the best there is!"

"Then show them that, by being able to act properly in the meetings at least. If they look at you funny walking down the corridor, then call them a feeta. But please try and leave that language out of the meetings with Aloyd Willenth, the senior officers, and my mother."

"Fine, Kiks. If that's what you want."

"Also, it would help if you didn't call me 'Kiks' in the meetings. It's too… familiar."

"What should I call you?" Rikana asked. "Sir? Do you want me to salute?"

"If you call me 'sir' or salute me, I will punch you."

The young woman did her best to hide her smile. "I'm not calling you by that stupid title, 'Rivelot', or whatever it is."

"Rivelor."

Rikana sighed. "I'm not making any promises, but I'll see what I can do, your Rivness."

Kikola laughed. "That's good enough." She knew she couldn't outright ask Rikana to respect her position, so she had to do it in small increments in a way that Rikana could accept.

Rikana was looking at her with an earnest expression on her face. "I want you to know that I don't have many friends. I know a few people I can tolerate, but I wouldn't go as far as to call them friends."

"I recall Yuniph saying once that you 'didn't do friends'."

"She was right. And wrong." Rikana turned away and picked up a water bottle. "She was a friend. I don't know why. We annoyed the shit out of each other most of the time." Rikana coughed and turned back to Kikola with a forced smile on her face. "Like you annoy the shit out of me, so I guess you're a friend too."

"Good. Friend." Kikola had a hard time relating to people, understanding their emotions and the subtext of their words. Even Tehvay was a mystery to her sometimes. Yet for all Rikana's trying to hide what she felt, she was like an open book to Kikola at that moment – a young woman who had lost her family, had climbed back on her feet with the help of a friend, and had seen that friend cruelly taken away. She was an unexploded mass of emotions. Kikola had to take care and help her release the anger and hurt in a controlled way.

Rikana stood up. "Ready to get your arse kicked again?"

Kikola stood. "We could carry on or we could call it a night," said Kikola. "What would you like to do?"

"If we call it a night, you get to go back to the loving arms of Miss V. and I get to have a lonely night with only my hand and an overactive imagination for company. That doesn't seem fair to me."

"That's settled then. I will see you in the morning."

Kikola smiled and Rikana cackled.

~~~~

Gral'hilanth thought she was seeing a ghost. The slave that opened the door to Ambra's penthouse looked very much like Sarray. However, on second look, there was a slight difference. This one was a few years younger, and the hair not as long.

"This way."

Gral'hilanth followed the slave.

Ambra was standing out on the balcony surveying the lights of the city. She came back in with a look of a predator about to play with its prey – a look that made Gral'hilanth's blood run cold.

"It's been a little while. I would have you here every night, but tongues might wag." Ambra turned to the slave. "You haven't met Lyra. It has a lot to learn. Perhaps it can pick up a few things by watching."

"It looks like Sarray," Gral'hilanth commented.

"Yes. I managed to get one from the same breeding stock a few years ago. Well two actually. I have one more back at home. It's only twelve. This one is eighteen. Apparently, the brood mare produced a lot of males. The twelve-year-old was its last offspring before it was put down. This one was going to be kept as a breeder, so I paid a high price for it. Lyra, take your uniform off."

"Yes, Mistress." The slave complied.

"Such a fine specimen." Ambra circled the slave, trailing her fingers over its skin. "Just ripe for the plucking." She looked over to Gral'hilanth. "Or would you prefer its younger sibling?"

Gral'hilanth ignored the Bren's taunts.

Ambra laughed brightly. "I have been restraining my urges the last few days. It has been hard." She settled her hand on the slave's breast. "Lyra, follow us. Watch and learn."

"Yes, Mistress."

Gral'hilanth didn't need to be told. She headed for the bedroom and removed her uniform.

She wasn't aware of how long the abuse lasted. Gral'hilanth remembered the slave's dull eyes watching her humiliation before she shut her mind off.

I only obey. I only obey.

Her mind returned to her body as Ambra withdrew the phallus from between Gral'hilanth's legs. The slave was still looking at her.  

"Sleep on the floor," the Bren told Gral'hilanth, pushing a pillow in her direction.

Gral'hilanth slipped off the bed and sank to the floor. She wished the floor would open up and swallow her.

"Lyra, come here."

"Yes, Mistress." The slave approached the bed.

"You saw where the aloyd licked me. You lick me there." The Bren spread her legs wide and pushed the slave's head down. "Not like that!" Ambra swatted the slave on the back of its head. "You will be punished later for that." She grabbed a handful of hair and pulled Lyra's head back. "When I say you will be punished, you will thank me."

"Yes, Mistress. Thank you, Mistress."

Ambra grabbed the sex prop that she had used on Gral'hilanth and ordered the slave onto the bed. Ambra used the phallus to force its legs open. Gral'hilanth couldn't stand watching anymore, and closed her eyes. She wished she could have closed her ears to the slave's crying as Ambra took delight in taking her new slave's virginity as painfully as possible.

Gral'hilanth eventually fell asleep, and once again she found herself on the Glyndwr.

"Kami!" Gral'hilanth called out.

The giggle came from everywhere.

Out of the corner of her eye, Gral'hilanth saw the lithe form disappear into the galley. She followed.

Kamina sat on the galley table, naked, her legs spread, inviting. Slowly Gral'hilanth reached out. Instead of her fingers finding nothing but air, they found Kamina's soft skin.

"I love you, Hila." The whisper came from within. "Make love to me."

Gral'hilanth stepped closer. Kamina's legs wrapped around her and pulled her close. Their mouths locked together.

"Stay with me. Love me. Like the first time."

Gral'hilanth knew the words did not come from Kamina's mouth, but she didn't care. She felt her own naked body push Kamina back on the table and settle on top of the young woman.

"What do you want me to do?" asked Gral'hilanth, "Tell me."

"Love me."

"I do."

"Then show me."

"How?"

Kamina took Gral'hilanth's right hand and brought it to her lips. She moistened the tips of the first two fingers with her tongue. "Enter me," said Kamina. "Enter me and make me explode with joy."

"You say. I obey."

Gral'hilanth closed her eyes as Kamina vocalised her endearing little mewling sound when her hand slipped between Kamina's thighs. I missed that sound.

Slowly at first, very slowly, Gral'hilanth's fingers slid into the tight, warm cave of Kamina's sex. Kamina begged her to increase her speed, but Gral'hilanth knew when the time was right.

"Now!" cried Kamina. "Faster!"

Not yet.

"I want it now!"

I obey.

Gral'hilanth picked up the pace. Her mantra played.

I only obey. I only obey.

Kamina's face became grey and lifeless. Sunken cheeks and rotting flesh. Ambra's voice came from behind Gral'hilanth, urging her to continue.

I only obey. I only obey.

Kamina's face changed and it was Sarray's lifeless eyes staring back. Ambra laughed. Gral'hilanth continued.

I only obey. I only obey.

"No!" Kamina's voice cut in.

Gral'hilanth opened her eyes. They were seated in the cockpit. Gral'hilanth looked across to the co-pilot seat. Kamina turned to meet her gaze and smiled.

"You only love," whispered Kamina's voice in Gral'hilanth's mind. "You only love me."

"I only obey." Gral'hilanth heard herself say.

"Who do you obey?"

"I only obey you."

"Then stay with me."

Gral'hilanth jerked awake. In the dim light she could see Lyra huddled naked in the corner. From the movements of its shoulders it looked like it was crying. Gral'hilanth struggled to muster any sympathy for the slave's suffering. She turned over and went back to sleep.

Chapter 5

Author's Page

Back to the Academy