CHAPTER 5

 

Tehvay awoke at the sound of the door chime. Kikola had left after breakfast, and she must have drifted off to sleep in her chair. The last few days had been hectic, and she hadn't realised how tired she was.

"Enter!" The door opened and Rikana stood there. "Hi, Rikana."

"Yeah, hi, Miss V. Kiks wants to see us in the conference room."

She pushed herself away from the table and climbed to her feet. Tehvay looked down, she was only wearing a short robe. She pulled it closed and walked towards the bedroom. "You go on, I'll catch you up."

Rikana stepped in and closed the door behind her. "I'll wait."

Tehvay knew it would do no good to argue the point. When Kikola first put forward the idea that she needed protection on board ship, Tehvay had baulked at the idea of having a bodyguard. However, walking past crewmen and officers in the corridors had proved to be more intimidating than she anticipated, so Tehvay appreciated having Rikana's company.

Tehvay changed into her favourite bright gold and green dress. When she came back into the lounge, she found Rikana practicing her quick draw.

"Shouldn't you be careful with that?" Tehvay asked.

Rikana turned around and holstered her IPB. "Just getting in a little practice. If anyone bothers you, I'll use this on them!" Rikana glanced down at the weapon strapped to her side.

"Yes, Kikola told me about that," Tehvay replied with a disapproving tone. "I'm not sure how I feel about my bodyguard carrying a lethal weapon." Tehvay noticed a subtle shift in Rikana's demeanour when she mentioned the words 'my bodyguard'. "I suppose it's not what you want either."

"What?" The statement seemed to startle the young woman.

"Being my bodyguard," Tehvay replied. "I'll speak to Kikola—"

"No!" Rikana exclaimed, probably more forcefully than she intended. "It's not that. I…" Rikana didn't finish. She looked away and down towards the floor.

Tehvay had a sense she knew what Rikana was thinking about – or whom. "I miss Yuniph too," said Tehvay. "I only knew her for a short time, but I felt she was a part of me. It can't be easy for you. Especially when I look like her."

"No," Rikana's voice was barely above a whisper. "It's not easy." There was a long pause. Tehvay thought Rikana had finished speaking, but then the young woman continued. "Don't take this the wrong way, but sometimes I blame you. She died because they thought she was you. She died to protect you."

"Sorry. I—"

"Don't apologise. I know I shouldn't blame you, but at times I can't help it." Rikana raised a hand to her eyes to wipe away tears. "I blame myself more. I was there. I went along with her pretending to be you. I stood there, unable to help as…" Rikana sniffed and lowered her hand. "I couldn't protect her. I couldn't save her." She looked at Tehvay with tear filled eyes. "I promise I won't let the same thing happen to you."

Tehvay walked up to Rikana and held her. There was an oily scent of namida fruit about the young woman. After a while Rikana returned the hug.

"Never did that with Yuniph until it was too late," said Rikana wiping her eyes. She uttered a humourless laugh. "Never called her Yuniph."

"She appears in my dreams and everything is fine," said Tehvay. "Then I wake up and it hits me. It's like losing her all over again."

Rikana nodded. "I know what you mean."

"Marleen used to say 'time heals'. Does it?" asked Tehvay.

"No," replied Rikana. "Time does not heal. It may dull the pain a bit, and there may come a time when you realise there is no pain and everything will seem normal. Then something will remind you and the pain will return. Sometimes it will be worse than it is now, sometimes not. Sometimes you will be able to cope with the pain, other times not."

"How often will the pain come back?" asked Tehvay.

"Every day," said Rikana. "Every day. On Trengos we have a word for it, oeptsar. It means a wound that won't heal."

"An apt name, but I can't cope with feeling oeptsar every day!"

"You will," Rikana explained. "In a way it is a good thing. It means you still care for her. She will always be with you."

That somehow brought comfort to Tehvay, and she smiled. "And she'll be with you."

Rikana nodded. "I'm sorry if I've seemed distant."

Tehvay had noticed a change in the way the young woman reacted to her since Yuniph's death. It wasn't anything overt. She just appeared uneasy. Tehvay and her parents had grieved for Yuniph together. Rikana had kept her distance, at least from Tehvay.

"I'm sorry too. You were probably more like a sister to Yuniph than I was."

"Yeah. I loved her. Not in the way you and Kiks…" She made a V with the first two fingers of her left hand and did the same with the right. She interlinked the Vs and moved her hands together and apart rapidly.

Tehvay chuckled. "I'm sure she loved you too."

"She did. We admitted that much to each other."

"And I love you too," said Tehvay. "I'm not going to be a replacement for Yuniph, but I hope we can be friends."

"We can. You'll never replace your sister though. You'll never be as annoying. And your fashion sen—" Rikana's voice caught in her throat. "We should get going."

They walked along the corridor and paused at the lift. After a short wait, the doors opened and they entered. The occupant glared at Tehvay.

"Give me a reason," Rikana said to the officer, her hand hovering over her IPB. "Please."

The officer looked away. After what seemed an interminable amount of time, the lift came to a stop at the Bridge level. Rikana and Tehvay got off.

Directly across the corridor, a solitary guard stood outside the conference room. He wore a light grey jumpsuit, with a single red diagonal bar pinned to his collar signifying his rank as a 'rating' – the lowest rank on board.

The rating stood a little straighter, though not at full attention.

"I have orders to let you in," he said as he stood aside and pressed the door mechanism.

"Thank you," said Tehvay as they entered.

Tehvay was familiar with the conference room's configuration and décor: the walls were the same grey as the rest of the ship's bulkheads, computer readouts filled the wall opposite the door, and a large oval table dominated the middle of the room. Her eyes immediately found Kikola, who was seated at one end of the table. To her left sat her mother, Mariantha, and two officers that Tehvay did not recognise. Aloyd Willenth sat opposite Kikola. Captain Wurth occupied the side of the table to Kikola's right. Kikola stood up when she saw Tehvay.

"Come, sit down," Kikola said to Tehvay, indicating the empty seats between her and Captain Wurth.

When she and Rikana had taken their seats, Kikola introduced the two officers.

"This is Commander Salko of Tactical Operations and Commander Ghal, the First Officer."

Salko was a dark-skinned man with greying hair. He reminded Tehvay of Kentop, the Taliss' head slave on Alopan. Ghal was a woman with a pale, round face; her light brown hair was pulled back in a tight bun.

"This is most unusual," said Salko. "It's not… correct to have… non-military in these discussions."

"Are you saying my mother should leave?" asked Kikola.

"I—I—no, Rivelor!" Salko looked panicked. "I meant… Your mother is Elit. These are…"

Rikana leaned forward and planted her hands firmly on the table. She looked like she was ready to crawl across to Salko and give him a piece of her mind.

"Commander Salko," Aloyd Willenth spoke up.

If the aloyd was going to say anything else, he didn't get the chance.

"My daughter's friends are what?" Mariantha rounded on the officer sitting to her left.

"I meant no disrespect."

"Then you will have no problem finishing what you were going to say."

Since the day Mariantha had returned, Tehvay was constantly seeing her with new eyes. Kikola had said on more than one occasion that Mariantha was someone who stood up for justice, someone who might seem a little abrasive at first, but underneath was a kind, decent person and a loving mother. Tehvay had thought Kikola was seeing Mariantha through a daughter's eyes. She never expected to see Kikola proved right.

"Miss Lardis," Mariantha pointed at Rikana, "is an officer of the law. Miss Veilan is a formidable and perceptive woman, whose insight we will need if we are to succeed. Lentol has divided the Elit. She's courting the Fethusal with promises of power. The Quernal, Labror, and slaves outnumber all of those by a long way. If we want to win, we need those people on our side. Are you going to persuade them, Commander Salko? When was the last time you spoke to someone of a lower caste, other than to give them an order?"

Salko's dark face grew darker. "I do not have to—"

"Yes, you do," Aloyd Willenth interrupted him. "Unless you want to be demoted. I am sure I can find someone else to take your position."

"We must not fight among ourselves," said Kikola. "Commander Salko, are you on our side or not?"

Salko sat up straight. "Yes, Rivelor! I am yours to command."

"Then accept things as they are, not as they were. We are fighting against Ambra ap Lentol to bring about a new Hegemony, not reinstall the one she destroyed."

"Yes, Rivelor! Please accept my apologies."

"I do not believe you offended my daughter," said Mariantha pointedly.

"Ladies, please accept my apologies," he said to Tehvay and Rikana.

"I accept," said Tehvay. "I know it is not easy. You look at me and see a slave, but only because you know I was one. I understand that. I look at you at see my former owners – people to fear, people who have hated me because I was born to slaves.

"When something has been that ingrained into you and your culture for so long," Tehvay continued, "it is hard to feel any differently. But it has to change. As long as you recognise that what you feel and think about me, about slaves, about anyone who is different is wrong, and you temper your natural reaction to us, then it's a start."

Salko nodded. "It seems Judge Karthen was right about you. You are formidable. But you are also wise. I am glad I am on your side."

"Thank you, Commander. I am wise. That is why I have Rikana looking out for me. Disrespect me again, and I'll set her loose."

Rikana cackled as she settled back into her chair.

"Consider me warned," said Salko with a hint of a smile.

"Consider all of us warned," said Captain Wurth.

Tehvay noticed that the captain was looking at Rikana with a smile of his own.

At that moment the conference room door opened. A man entered pushing a trolley. The top of the trolley contained several jugs of iced water and juices and two carafes of dyodpeth. The lower shelf of the trolley contained glasses and cups.

"I took the liberty of ordering some refreshments," Willenth explained.

Tehvay immediately knew the man with the drinks was one of the ex-slaves that had opted to remain on the Fearless. She was relieved to see that he was dressed in one-piece grey coveralls, like the ones worn by the cargo bay crewmembers, rather than the blue uniform of a slave.

She regarded the newly freed slave as he silently went around the table and efficiently served everyone their preferred beverage. When Tehvay was served, she chose dyodpeth and made a point of thanking him.

He didn't make eye contact or acknowledge her thanks. He merely continued serving. It was the same when Rikana thanked him. After serving Captain Wurth, the former slave took up position against the wall, with his eyes lowered like he had been trained to do.

Tehvay said, "You are no longer a slave and no longer need to stand against the wall with your eyes lowered. We all appreciate you serving us…" Tehvay glanced around the table, noting that the others looked guilty or embarrassed. "But you can leave the drinks trolley. If we want more, we can serve ourselves."

He remained standing against the wall. She could see the uncertainty on his face. He had been given an order and he felt compelled to obey it, but it was an order outside the norm.

Aloyd Willenth intervened. "Yes, uh, thank you," the aloyd said. "You may leave the drinks and return to your duties."

The former slave nodded his head and left. An awkward silence fell about the room. Tehvay looked down into her cup of dyodpeth and sighed.

"What is wrong?" Kikola asked.

Tehvay turned to Kikola. "Freeing the slaves on the Fearless seemed a straightforward policy to implement, but that's just the first step in the process. We have to teach them what it means to be free. That is a much harder task."

Kikola gave Tehvay's hand a reassuring squeeze.

Aloyd Willenth cleared his throat. "Shall we get down to business?" he asked.

There was a relieved murmur of agreement from the officers. Willenth gestured to Kikola.

"All my life growing up, and at the academy, I was taught to win." Kikola began. "That is what we are going to do." Kikola paused to look around the table. Her eyes settled Rikana. "On Trengos, Rikana taught me a valuable lesson."

"I did?" the young woman queried. "You didn't pay me for it."

Kikola smiled as her eyes roamed the table. "Rikana taught me how to fight to win anyway I can." Once more Kikola looked at Rikana. "You think all those lessons I am giving you are for your benefit?"

"I just thought it was so you could grab my sexy arse."

Tehvay chuckled, but the joke did not go down as well among the others.

"Sorry," muttered Rikana, and gave a sheepish glance at Kikola.

What's that about? thought Tehvay. Rikana's usual interactions with Kikola were more relaxed, more acerbic, and more prone to making wisecracks. Even Rikana is accepting Kikola's leadership. That's good.

"That is what I am talking about," said Kikola as she pointed at Rikana and made eye contact with the military personnel. "Break the rules."

"We cannot have anarchy," said Salko.

"No, we cannot. I am not advocating for anarchy. I am saying, we are heavily outnumbered; therefore, we cannot fight using conventional tactics. Those we are fighting against have been taught the same way we have. They will know how we will respond in battle. They will know what tactics we are expected to use."

Kikola turned to Captain Wurth. "Lieutenant Henato is nursing a broken nose. Tell everyone why."

Wurth straightened up in his seat and glanced sideways at Rikana. "Miss Lardis broke his nose after I called him to attention."

Rikana cackled. She got up, walked to the drink trolley, and returned to her seat with a jug of namida juice. "Mine!" She pointed at the jug.

Kikola turned to Rikana. "The captain told us what you did. Tell them how you managed to beat a well-trained officer."

"Winning is easy, losing is hard," said Rikana. "Yet it is easier to lose than to win."

Tehvay saw the others look confused as they thought about what Rikana had said. Tehvay chose to voice everyone's confusion. "What does that mean?"

Rikana laughed. "No one likes losing, but there's a greater probability that things will go wrong and you lose, than things go right and you win."

"Are you saying we shouldn't try?" asked Commander Ghal.

"No. You're forgetting that the same is true for your opponent. Just because something is highly improbable, doesn't mean it's impossible. But it can help to do what you can to skew the odds in your favour."

"Like what?" asked Aloyd Willenth.

"Lie, cheat, whatever it takes. Like I said, losing sucks."

"Do you see? Break the rules," said Kikola. "On Trengos I saw Rikana walk up to a perpetrator's residence, disable his security camera, and knock on his door. Then she lied about who she was – something that would never have occurred to me. We were officers of the law, we had no reason to lie, or so I thought. However, if Rikana had told the truth, he wouldn't have opened his door, and he wouldn't have been apprehended. He would have bolted out another door, or barricaded himself in, thus requiring more effort to capture him. So, that is what we are going to do. We are going to knock on Lentol's door, take her by surprise, and defeat her."

As she listened to Kikola speak, it struck Tehvay that the woman commanding everyone's attention wasn't the Kikola that Tehvay knew in private, and neither was she the Aloyd Karthen Tehvay had first met. She realised that Kikola had become a perfect balance of the two. If Kikola could evolve, thought Tehvay with pride, there was hope for the Hegemony.

The meeting continued with a discussion about various bold, new tactics that could be used to defeat Lentol. Kikola glanced at Tehvay often to see if she had anything to say, but Tehvay did not feel confident enough to contribute to the tactical discussion. Only when the talk turned to what to do to rally support for their cause among the Quernals, Labrors, and slaves did Tehvay contribute more.

When the meeting came to a natural conclusion, Kikola glanced around the table. "Anything else?" she asked.

"Yeah," said Rikana. "What's our name? We're a group, right? All groups have a cool name."

"I…" Kikola seemed lost for words. She frowned and looked at Aloyd Willenth.

"We have more pressing matters—"

"Roveslaneds!" Rikana interjected.

"No." said Kikola.

"What does that mean?" asked Willenth.

"Ar—" Tehvay started to reply.

Kikola cut her off. "You don't want to know."

Mariantha offered a suggestion for a name. "Arai Soon Dukwelud," she said.

Kikola looked towards her mother and agreed. "Yes. Arai Soon Dukwelud." She turned to Rikana. "There you go."

Rikana opened her mouth to say something, but must have thought better of it. She closed her eyes and sighed.

Tehvay had no idea what the term meant, but she didn't think this was the time to ask since Kikola had declared the meeting over. After being dismissed, Salko, Ghal, and Wurth returned to duty. Kikola and Aloyd Willenth drifted off to one side to make plans for another meeting.

"I need a strim. Where's the kruk?" Rikana asked no one in particular.

"Kruk?" asked Aloyd Willenth.

"The head." Kikola replied, and gave Rikana directions.

Rikana asked Tehvay if she wanted to go as well, but Tehvay was content to remain and wait for Kikola to finish. She was surprised when Mariantha came over to her.

"Mind if I join you?" she asked.

Tehvay felt a reflexive knot in her stomach when Judge Karthen settled in the chair next to her. After all this time, I am still intimidated by Kikola's mother, Tehvay thought.

Tehvay followed Mariantha's gaze as she looked across the room towards Kikola.

"I am so proud to see my daughter in that uniform again," she said out loud. Mariantha then brought her attention back to Tehvay. "How do you feel about it?"

She's asking my opinion? Tehvay threw off her shock and gave Kikola's mother a measured response. "It is what she needs to do at this time. I support her decision."

"No, I am not asking what you think," Mariantha replied. "I am asking how you feel about it."

Feel? I feel uncomfortable with this interrogation, thought Tehvay. She fought the sudden urge to bolt from the room and forced herself to meet the older woman's gaze. This was not the stern face of the judge that had returned her to slavery. It was not the disapproving face of Kikola's mother. It was something that Tehvay struggled to pin down. Could she sincerely care about how I feel? Tehvay was a little wary, but took Kikola's mother at her word and responded honestly. "I am proud of the person Kikola has become, but I worry that the uniform is going to change her – and not for the better."

Mariantha sat back and nodded thoughtfully. "That is an honest answer." She glanced at her daughter again. "Kikola always seemed to find a way to isolate herself growing up," Mariantha said. "I feared she would not find someone to love. When she told me she had found someone, I was pleased. When she confessed that person was another woman, I thought how it would negatively reflect on the family if it became known, but if Kikola was happy and loved, I could tolerate it. When I found out it was you…  I resented you, because you were a slave who had corrupted my daughter and destroyed her career. You were not deserving of her. I was wrong. I apologise."

Tehvay realised Mariantha was a mother. Mothers protect their young.

"Thank you. I accept your apology." Tehvay finally felt a little more comfortable in Mariantha's presence, but wanted to change the subject. "What does that name mean: Arai Sun Duck… weld?"

"Arai Soon Dukwelud," Mariantha corrected her. "It means 'those that return'. It can mean in the sense of returning from a war, or returning to a place they were expelled from." 

"That's nice."

"What did that name Rikana came up with mean?"

Tehvay smiled. "Roveslaneds. Arse kickers." Tehvay was surprised to see Mariantha smile.

"Maybe that is more appropriate," said Mariantha. Her smile faded and she lowered her eyes. "You and I will never be friends. I accept that. However, you love my daughter and she loves you. The best we can do is to try and get along, for her sake. She deserves happiness and love, as do you." Mariantha stood up to leave.

Tehvay stood as well. "Maybe in time this truce between us will become a full-blown peace."

Mariantha shook her head. "No. That will never happen. We are too different. I said you deserve happiness and love, and I meant that. I would feel better if you didn't get it from my daughter. I promise you I will not try and force you apart, but I won't pretend. I won't lie. Honesty is at the core of my role. It is something I instilled in Kikola from an early age."

"Elit don't lie," said Tehvay.

"Exactly," Mariantha replied. "I respect you. I do not hate you. However, I cannot bring myself to like you."

"Why?" asked Tehvay. "You don't know me. How can you say that?"

Mariantha replied, "You said something earlier about us not being able to see past the slave uniform, even though you no longer wear it. You were right. I cannot see past it. That is my failing, not yours. I am too set in my ways to change."

"No, you are not," said Tehvay. "You are speaking to me now. You have changed. You can change more."

"Maybe I don't want… Change is hard. The older one gets, the harder it is. I am too set in my ways and feel I have changed enough," said Mariantha, and walked away.

~~~~

Rikana rummaged through the small wardrobe in her room looking for something to wear. The more colourful the better, Rikana thought. Something to contrast with all this dull grey everywhere. She had harboured many prejudices against the Hegemony, but even she never considered them to be so lacking in imagination as to colour everything grey – the ship, the uniforms, and the faces of the crew.

The reason for her search for something to wear was a dinner invitation from Aloyd Willenth. He had called it a small gathering and said that he 'would be delighted' if she could attend. Rikana had considered turning it down, but the other options were the officers' mess or staying in her room and having a meal from the dispenser. Besides, proving the aloyd wrong sounded like fun to her. I'll show you delightful, she cackled to herself.

She finally decided on a red and pink shirt and skirt combination. It wasn't perhaps the most colourful of things she had with her, but it was the most formal thing. Why do I care? She dismissed her question with a shrug and hurriedly dressed. She was already late but took a moment to admire herself in the mirror. The shirt was tight, revealing her curves and had sleeves that ended at the elbows. The skirt was looser and cut in the Trengosian style from right hip to left ankle. The cut on the right hip was so high that to avoid revealing underwear, it was best not to wear any.

Rikana took one last look in the mirror, flicked at her hair to get it just right, and left her quarters. When she entered the Aloyd's private quarters, the other guests were already seated at the table.

"Welcome, Miss Lardis," said Aloyd Willenth. He stood up and pulled out the chair to his left.

Rikana sat down at the round table between the aloyd and Captain Wurth. To the captain's left sat Tehvay, Kikola, and finally Kikola's mother. The table was covered in a white tablecloth, with plates, glasses, decanters, and utensils seeming to fill all available space.

"Help yourself," said the aloyd. He gestured to an uncovered serving dish on the table.

Rikana studied the contents. They were beige coloured and looked like wood chippings. She glanced around the table and saw Kikola taking one from the dish. Kikola broke it into two pieces and put one in her mouth.

Okay, Rikana thought. She picked up one of the chips. It felt lighter than she expected, and she broke it. It split into three pieces and a lot of crumbs. "Sorry," she mumbled as she picked up the piece that fell onto the table. From the corner of her eye, Rikana saw Wurth politely brushing her crumbs off his sleeve. She glanced in his direction, and he flashed her a smile before turning his attention elsewhere.

Rikana placed a piece in her mouth and an involuntary grin appeared on her face. The chip had a strange consistency as it melted in her mouth. It was salty and released a pleasant, subtle taste that she had never experienced before. She quickly put the other pieces in her mouth and reached for another chip. This one she was more careful in breaking.

"It is difficult to eat only one," Kikola said to Rikana as she helped herself to another.

"You like these?" Tehvay queried. She pulled a face as she put the remains of hers down on her plate.

"Waste not," said Kikola, and pinched the uneaten chip from Tehvay's plate.

Rikana heard a noise of disapproval from Mariantha. The older woman was delicately wiping crumbs from her lips with a serviette. Aloyd Willenth must have heard the noise too and drew attention away from any further breach of etiquette by calling for the first course. The three servers stepped forward from their position against the wall. They were not ex-slaves but ratings.

"I thought it best not to use ex-slaves as servers at this meal," Aloyd Willenth explained to Tehvay. "While it would be their duty, I saw how… awkward it was at the meeting." Willenth smiled nervously. "I wanted this meal to be free of any… er… awkwardness. However, I think I am making it more awkward by explaining it."

"Thank you, Aloyd Willenth," said Tehvay. "That was considerate of you."

The crumb-filled plate in front of Rikana was replaced by one containing what looked like three small square pieces of toasted bread and a small metal dish containing a pinkish paste. She took the trouble to thank her server, as did Tehvay. Her hand had just touched a knife by the side of her plate when she felt a nudge from her left. She turned and saw Captain Wurth holding a small spoon. He used the spoon to scoop some of the paste onto the toast. A quick glance around the table saw the others doing the same.

Rikana didn't know whether to tell the captain where he could stick the spoon and do things her way, or thank him for stopping her from committing a mortal sin. No one else was paying attention to her, so she picked up the small spoon from her set of cutlery, and she spread some paste onto her toast.

"Is this craftjur?" she asked as she swallowed.

"Craftjur? I am not familiar with that," said Aloyd Willenth. "This is crassod."

"It's the same thing, sir," said Wurth. "Craftjur is a Trengosian crustacean."

Rikana was impressed with the captain's knowledge of what must be to him a backwards planet in the armpit of nowhere. "It tastes fresh," she said.

"It is. We have a small fresh supply." Willenth smiled wryly. "Had. I think this is the last." He took a sip from a glass of water. "Who would like a real drink?" he asked.

The others, apart from Kikola, who opted for just water, had a glass of a pale yellow-green wine. It looked suspiciously like piss to Rikana. "Have you got any beer?"

"Yes, we have." Willenth signalled a server. "Hummenth."

Rikana frowned warily.

"It's a specialty brew," Captain Wurth explained to Rikana. "And expensive. Even the Fethusal can only afford it on special occasions."

The server placed a tall glass in front of Rikana. It looked different from the amber beer that Rikana was used to. The contents were a dark-brown colour with deep claret highlights when it caught the light. A thin layer of foam topped the beer. She picked up the glass and took a tentative sip. Its potency was apparent from just the small taste. After the alcohol hit came a subtle caramel flavour and an aftertaste of… "Autumn." Rikana didn't realise she had spoken out loud until she saw Tehvay's baffled look and heard a small chuckle from Aloyd Willenth. "The taste."

"I would say it was more late-summer," said Wurth. "But then it's been such a long time since I have had any." He signalled a server. "One for me as well."

"I'd like to see what autumn tastes like," said Tehvay.

Wurth and Tehvay were served glasses of Hummenth. The captain took a long swallow, while Tehvay took a tiny sip at first before taking a bigger one.

"I believe it is autumn," said Wurth. "I stand corrected." He tipped his glass in Rikana's direction.

"That's amazing." Tehvay turned to Kikola and held out her glass. "Try some."

Kikola declined the offer. "No thank you. I will stick with water."

They settled down and finished off the first course. The next course consisted of steamed vegetables sliced into long fingers and a small dish of red dipping sauce. Rikana could identify something that looked like calrot, but other vegetables were a mystery to her. She looked around and saw the others pick up a set of chopsticks. How am I supposed to use these?

A small curse from Tehvay drew Rikana's attention. The blonde-haired woman was chasing a vegetable around her plate.

"Use that fork if you are struggling with the sticks," said Kikola, pointing to the relevant item.

Tehvay picked up the utensil Kikola had pointed out and daintily ate the vegetable.

"I think I'll just use my fingers," Rikana mumbled. She picked up a purple-coloured stalk and took a healthy bite of the end. It had a surprising sweetness she was not expecting. "Hey, this is pretty good!" The vegetables were perfectly cooked: succulent and with just the right amount of crunch. Now I understand why Kiks was picky about the food in Dansek.

The third course consisted of a large steak from a koss with a salad garnish and a creamy white sauce.

Rikana focussed on enjoying the food and paid little attention to the meaningless small talk that batted around the table until Kikola changed the topic to something Rikana found rather interesting.

"Aloyd, I have been reviewing the crew manifest, and I noticed a Commander Breena Eadmon listed, but she does not appear to be on board."

Ooh, a mystery, Rikana thought as she continued eating.

"No, she, uh…" The aloyd glanced around the table. "I asked Commander Eadmon to undertake a secret mission."

"What sort of secret mission?" Kikola queried.

Rikana observed with keen interest this interaction between Aloyd Willenth and Kikola. The law enforcement officer in her could tell he was not being completely forthcoming when the aloyd took a sip of his wine and mopped his brow. Classic stalling tactics.

"I was alerted to Ambra ap Lentol's manoeuvrings before she seized control, so I sent Commander Eadmon to accompany my wife and the rest of the household to safety. I could not do it myself, as that would raise suspicion. I know she got them away from our estate on Icomecs before I flew to Trengos to offer you overall command as Rivelor. Hopefully they will be at the tullcooth when we arrive."

"You never mentioned that before," said Captain Wurth.

"The less anyone knew, the better," replied Aloyd Willenth.

"Why Eadmon?" asked Kikola.

"She was the only one I could trust."

A commanding officer may have someone under them they don't trust fully, usually me! thought Rikana. But only one they trust? I don't buy that. He's not exactly lying though, but he's hiding something.

"Commander Eadmon is related to Captain Garin Eadmon," said Kikola, "who is currently in command of Ambra's flagship. Is that wise?"

"I was unaware of that at the time. However, I still have full confidence in Commander Eadmon's loyalty to me."

Rikana noted the aloyd's body language, especially his eyes. He is telling the truth, at least about that.

Willenth took another sip of wine. "In fact, that may prove to be useful. If Breen—" Willenth coughed. "If Commander Eadmon can obtain information from her sister, we could be one step ahead of Lentol."

Breena, eh? Rikana looked to see if Kikola had picked up on that. Kikola gave Rikana an almost imperceptible glance. She did pick up on it – that pleased Rikana.

"Don't underestimate family loyalty, Aloyd," Kikola replied. "Is Commander Eadmon aware that you came to Trengos to get me?"

"No, Rivelor." Willenth sat straight in his chair. "I have not had contact with her since before leaving the Hegemony with your mother, and I was not going to contact her before informing you of the situation. I… I was just not prepared to do it at dinner."

That was true. Maybe the Hummenth is dulling my instincts, but I think I know what's up. Rikana shrugged it off and went back to eating her meal.

"Very well," said Kikola. "Though I wish you had mentioned this earlier. I am sorry for disrupting the meal."

"That is enough talking shop you two," said Kikola's mother.

Everyone continued with polite dinner conversation as the next course was served – a light, namida sorbet served in the hollowed-out skin of the fruit.

"Do you eat like this every day?" Rikana asked.

"No," replied the aloyd. "Only on special occasions. This is the New Year for The Kalenth Hegemony. Tomorrow is the first day of Suntav, Year 1603. We celebrate with a dinner on the last day of Devud."

Rikana vaguely recalled learning the names for the Hegemony's months in school. She could recall a couple, but wouldn't have known the order of those mentioned without context. She refrained from exposing her ignorance. "What do you do on the first of Suntav?"

"Recover from the dinner party," said Wurth.

"It's the Trengosian New Year in…" Rikana did a quick calculation. "Twenty days. I could cook you a Trengosian meal to celebrate. I'm sure I could improvise with whatever you've got in your stores."

"You cook?" The aloyd raised a quizzical eyebrow.

"I am sure she has many hidden talents," said Wurth. "Some of the things the crew say she is alleged to do with the body parts she keeps threatening to cut off are quite inventive."

"You could make some screamers," said Tehvay.

"Screamers?" queried Willenth.

"They're delicious," said Tehvay.

"I don't think they have meat of sufficiently low quality on board to make them," said Rikana. "Though those body parts might do."

Willenth smiled. "Perhaps a vegetarian meal."

Rikana cackled. "You're all right for a Hegger." She turned to Wurth. "You too." She looked across the table to Kikola. "Still not sure about you," she said with a wink.

Laughter bubbled around the table, except from Mariantha. Rikana thought she detected a slight tightening of the muscles around the older woman's mouth. Maybe it's wind. That thought brought a smile to Rikana's lips.

The final course was a light sponge served with a sharp lemon curd, which Rikana enjoyed, though the tartness of the lemon made her jaw hurt. Dyodpeth was served with dessert, but Rikana opted for another glass of Hummenth instead.

Shortly after everyone had finished their dessert, Mariantha stood up and excused herself, thanking Aloyd Willenth for the lovely dinner and announcing that she was going to retire for the evening. Kikola and Tehvay got up to leave with the older woman. Rikana had not quite finished her drink, but did not want to be left alone with only Wurth and Willenth for company. Wurth on his own might not be so bad, she mused. She stood up, threw back the last of her beer, thanked her host, and headed after the others.

The group arrived at Mariantha's quarters first where she bade them goodnight. Next was Kikola and Tehvay's. Kikola let Tehvay enter first.

"Could you just come in for a moment," Kikola said to Rikana.

Rikana was intrigued and walked through the door. Kikola followed, closed the door, and turned to Rikana. "I have my concerns about Aloyd Willenth. I do not think he was being totally honest when I questioned him about Commander Eadmon. I noticed that you picked up on something. Do you think he is working for Lentol?"

Rikana cackled. "Is that what you thought?"

Kikola looked confused. "I could not think of anything else, but there is no proof."

"You're way off."

"Then what is it?"

"He and Eadmon are playing gurmormen."

"Gurmormen?" Kikola looked bemused. "Cover the lizard?"

Rikana cackled again.

"Hide the snake," said Tehvay with a smirk.

"Oh!" Kikola's mouth formed a perfect circle.

"It's a euphemism for—" Rikana started to explain.

"I understand!" Kikola interrupted. "Are you sure?"

"Sure?" Rikana shrugged. "'Sure' is a big word. But he acted like he had a secret. He started to use her first name, then coughed to cover it, hoping we wouldn't notice. My guess is he had someone save his family, because that's what's expected from him. He chose his mistress to do it to keep her safe as well."

"That makes some sort of sense."

"Look, he seems an upfront guy about other things to me. Whether you should trust him completely is your call. Me, I don't trust anyone fully. Not even me!"

Kikola smiled. "What about me?"

"You're up there, but not one hundred percent. I trust Miss V. more than you." Rikana winked at Tehvay.

Kikola allowed a slight smile and ushered Rikana to the door. "Goodnight. Thank you."

"I guess you two are going to—"

"Goodnight, Rikana!"

"Night," echoed Tehvay.

Rikana stepped out into the corridor and heard the door close behind her, she saw Captain Wurth approaching along the corridor. She regarded the officer. He was good looking with his boyish face and sparkling eyes. Not exactly my type, she thought, but better than my fingers. "You want to come back to my quarters?" she asked.

The question appeared to catch Wurth off guard for a moment. "For a nightcap?"

Rikana frowned. "If that's a euphemism for 'a fuck', then yes."

He smiled and changed from a boy to a handsome man. "The offer is very tempting."

"Please," said Rikana, and took hold of his hand.

"Since you ask so nicely, how can I refuse?"

~~~~

Gral'hilanth was grateful her uniform jacket had temperature controls built in, because the first day of Suntav was nearly always dry and hot in the region around Kalenth's capital. The Bren's new office complex was having its official opening ceremony, even though it had been in use for six days already. Ambra had wanted it to coincide with the Kalenth New Year.

The building had been constructed next to The Council Chambers on the north side of the ceremonial square at the centre of The Civic. It was taller than the uniform fifteen-metre height of all other office buildings in The Civic. At thirty-five metres tall, it even exceeded the height of The Great Hall on the opposite side of the square. Gral'hilanth felt Ambra was nothing if not insecure.

The aloyd stood among a small group of the Bren's select as Ambra addressed the assembled crowd of Civic workers and the press. She hoped she had an attentive look on her face as her mind wandered to the last Suntav celebration she celebrated. It was just before she went off to the Military Academy. Her parents were so proud of her then – that was before she was expelled. If they shunned me for that, she thought, imagine what they would do if they ever found out what I do to keep my aloyd commission. Gral'hilanth's attention was returned to the ceremony when she heard her name being called.

"Finally, to honour their contribution to my transition, I call forward Aloyd Gral'hilanth ap Falentha and Captain Garin Eadmon."

Gral'hilanth had not expected to hear her name being called. She glanced to her right at Eadmon. The captain was looking at her with the same surprised look on her face. As the superior officer, Gral'hilanth had to take the lead. She stepped forward from the group and approached the Bren.

Ambra smiled. Never a good sign, thought Gral'hilanth.

The Bren held out a small box. "Gral'hilanth Lintana ap Falentha, under my authority as Bren, I am promoting you to the rank of Aloyd, Second-Class."

Gral'hilanth accepted the box. Ambra opened the box in the aloyd's hands, removed the insignia. Gral'hilanth took off the old insignia and stood to attention as Ambra pinned the new one on. There was a ripple of applause from the gathered crowd. She's just doing it for the show, thought Gral'hilanth.

"There is still the promise of First-Class, if you're a good girl," Ambra whispered so only Gral'hilanth could hear.

The newly promoted aloyd took a couple of paces back from the Bren and Eadmon stepped forward.

"Garin Eadmon, under my authority as Bren, I am promoting you to the rank of Commodore."

Ambra went through the same motions as with Gral'hilanth.

When the ceremony was over, the crowd dispersed, and Ambra approached Gral'hilanth. "Come see me in my office for lunch. You deserve a treat."

"Yes, Bren."

Ambra turned and walked towards the new building, leaving Gral'hilanth and Eadmon standing there alone.

"That was unexpected," Garin confessed.

"Indeed. Congratulations, Commodore," replied Gral'hilanth.

"And the same to you," acknowledged Eadmon.

Gral'hilanth felt she didn't deserve the promotion, not after what she had done. "I… don't think this…" She realised she was about to voice her reservations, and she stopped herself.

Eadmon looked at her as if she understood what Gral'hilanth was going to say.

"We do as we are ordered," said Eadmon. "We accept the rewards we are given. That is the nature of the profession we are in." She looked up at the new building. "If we gave ourselves the rewards we think we deserve, it wouldn't be shiny new insignias," she glanced over at the edifice behind the aloyd, "or big, ugly buildings."

"What do you think we deserve?" asked Gral'hilanth. She felt the Commodore wanted to say more. Say it. Say what I think you're going to say. What I want you to say – that this is wrong. That Ambra is wrong. That we are wrong, and that we should right it.

"Not a promotion. I am just glad she didn't give us a medal." Eadmon looked Gral'hilanth directly in the eyes.

Say it, please.

Eadmon opened her mouth, but her comm beeping interrupted her before she could speak.

Commander Peamertin's voice drifted from the comm as Eadmon answered. "Captain Eadmon—"

"Commodore," Eadmon corrected the commander. "I just got promoted."

"Did you? Erm, congratulations, Commodore."

"Thank you. What is it Commander?"

"Just a reminder that we have a meeting to review crew evaluations in one hour."

Eadmon sighed. "I will return to the Relentless at once. Eadmon out." The commodore shut off her comm and turned to Gral'hilanth. "Congratulations once more, and happy New Year." Eadmon saluted.

"Same to you, Commodore," said Gral'hilanth as she returned the salute.

The aloyd headed for the entrance to the new offices. The lobby's decor was bright and colourful, and a large portrait of the Bren dominated it. Gral'hilanth entered a maglev lift that ascended directly to the top floor, where the Bren's offices were located.

As she stepped off the lift, Gral'hilanth immediately recognised the man waiting for a lift going down. Tall, thin, and with greying blonde hair, he was finely dressed in the most expensive tailored suit money, if not sense, could afford. She easily recalled his name Jora Selzabega. The last time she had seen him, she was paying for the court records of Tehvay's trial. She was Hila then.

"Selzabega. What are you doing here?" she asked.

He seemed a bit flummoxed. "I, uh… work for Military Operations, Department of Logistics." He tugged on the identity card pinned to his suit as if he were going to use it as a shield. His eyes focussed on her uniform, then the name displayed on her Pup. Finally, his eyes found hers and recognition set in. He nodded and said, "As I recall, when we last met, you had black hair and a different name."

Gral'hilanth glanced at the identity card. "You've still got the same name. However, you weren't working for Military Operations then. I somehow doubt you are working for them now."

Selzabega responded with a knowing smile. "So, we both lie a bit. What's the harm? The last time we spoke, you told me I knew whose cock liked to be sucked. You were right. It gives me a comfortable life and a bit of security. Now it seems you know whose cock likes to be sucked… or is it whose cunt likes to be lic—"

Selzabega shut up as Gral'hilanth pushed him against the wall. "Give me a reason not to call security."

With as much dignity as possible, Selzabega extracted himself from her grasp and straightened his suit. "I am pleased to see that we can come to an arrangement. What is your preference? Money? Information? Girls?"

"Just go." Gral'hilanth turned and started to walk away.

"Lonnodren ap Onacon is reading a file that should interest you," Selzabega called after her. "If you hurry you might be able to catch him."

Gral'hilanth turned to say something, but Selzabega had already boarded the lift. She hurried on to Ambra's office. As she entered the reception area, Onacon lifted his head from his computer screen and gave her a smug grin.

"If it isn't the Bren's pet, fresh from her promotion ceremony."

She headed straight for the Bren's secretary and yanked him out of his chair by the collar.

"Do you want another broken nose?" she growled, and raised her hand.

"Behaving like a Quernal. It's to be expected," he said, trying his best, and failing, to hide his fear.

"Get out of my sight!" She pushed him away.

Onacon stumbled against a nearby desk, straightened his collar, and glared at her. "You—"

"I said, get out of my sight!"

He started backing away from her and towards the door. "You're not the only one to whom the Bren listens. A word from me will—"

"Will see you in hospital."

With a final glare, Onacon made his exit. Gral'hilanth turned to the monitor at which he had been working. It seemed to be her military academy personnel record. She scrolled through and something caught her eye.

Failed first year exam at Elit Military Academy.

Assigned to kill the five occupants of apartment 1231, Mailut Complex, on Yerhulin.

Kiru Eiliad, male (1557 – 1587) – Confirmed dead.

Ajara Eiliad, female (1559 – 1587) – Confirmed dead.

Renthan Eiliad, male (1582 – 1587) – Confirmed dead.

Corissa Eiliad, female (1584 – 1593*) – Survivor. (* see record EMA12Y1593F6212L54).

Slave BK2561891, female (1574 – 1602*) – Survivor. (* see record EMO41Y1602H4485L35).

Gral'hilanth focussed on the one line: Corissa Eiliad, female (1584 – 1593*) – Survivor. (* see record EMA12Y1593F6212L54).

When persuading Gral'hilanth to accept her offer, Ambra had told her that Kamina was the girl who had survived. Then how could Corissa Eiliad have died in 1593? Gral'hilanth had long repressed the memory of that night she failed her test. She struggled to recall it now, but to no avail.

Gral'hilanth opened the referenced file and started reading. Her head snapped up when she heard the doors to the outer office slide open. She quickly closed the file and stepped away from Onacon's desk.

"Aloyd Falentha, you're early," Ambra said as she walked through the doors. "Where is Lonnodren?"

"He stepped out, to uh, freshen up," said Gral'hilanth.

Ambra rolled her eyes slightly and started heading for the spiral ramp in the middle of the office that led to her top-floor office.

Gral'hilanth remained where she stood, not daring to move until Ambra was out of sight. Once she was confident she could not be easily seen, Gral'hilanth accessed the file again and transferred a copy to her comm unit.

"Are you coming?" Ambra called down.

"Yes, Bren."

Chapter 6

Author's Page

Back to the Academy