A SINGLE STEP

By Kennedy Northcutt ©2015

sgkctl1985@yahoo.com

Disclaimer: See Part 1

Part 7


Chapter 10

“Why are you suddenly coming with us? I'm totally confused.” Aryana grabbed her head as she sat at a table with Eve and Gabrielle. “Why would you ever think Jerell will welcome the Messenger of Eli with open arms and invite you into the castle? He hates everyone! He's a tyrant! All he wants is power, not some namby-pamby message of love and peace.” She turned her pleading gaze on Gabrielle. “Please, Gabrielle. Talk some sense into her. We don't need Eve with us. We can save Arendahl, just the two of us.”

Gabrielle pushed her bowl of stew away as she leaned her head against her other hand. The argument was becoming tedious and she was no longer interested in participating. She eyed both women and sighed heavily.

“I'm not taking sides,” Gabrielle said. “But Eve has a point. We need a way inside the castle if we're going to take Jerell down. What better way to do that than to pose as followers and walk right through the front gate?”

Eve smiled. “Once we're inside, the two of you can do your thing. Simple.”

Gabrielle rolled her eyes. “You should know things are never that simple.”

Virgil approached the table and sat down. “What's going on? Are you guys still arguing about Eve and me coming with you to Arendahl? If so, just stop. We're coming. That's final.”

“Word will spread and her followers will come out of the woodwork like a bunch of annoying termites.” Aryana wiggled her fingers near her face and made little sucking noises with her tongue against her teeth. “They'll just get in the way. This is the dumbest plan ever. Why don't you just let Gabrielle and me handle Jerell? We can do this without you. I'll get us inside. We just need a good plan of attack. I vote for a nice, quiet assassination while he's sleeping in the queen's bed. That sword of Gabrielle's should do the trick. Or maybe that round thingy.”

“Chakram,” Gabrielle supplied drolly.

“Yeah, chakram,” Aryana perked up with a grin. She then made a motion with a finger from ear-to-ear. “Slit his throat and be done with it. Simple.”

Eve rolled her eyes. “Violence isn't the answer, Aryana.”

“Since when?” Aryana shot back.

“You're my daughter,” Eve gave her a stern look. “Maybe you should start acting like it.”

Aryana snorted. “I'm not changing who I am just because you're the Messenger of Peace and Love now, Mother Dearest. Besides, I'm the granddaughter of the Warrior Princess. That has to count for something.”

Gabrielle slapped a hand over her eyes. “Oh, for the love of…”

“The gods are gone, Gabrielle,” Eve snapped. “There is only one true God, now. Get over it.”

Gabrielle parted two fingers and eyeballed Eve. “Don't start with me, Eve. I actually traveled with Eli long before you were born. Remember? I was his first disciple. I learned how to empty myself of all earthly desires and let love fill me completely. And then Xena and I were crucified. You have no idea what that was like.”

Eve sighed. “No, I don't. But that's in the past. We need to focus on the present.”

“So, why are we still arguing about this?” Virgil sat forward. “The ship leaves at first light. We'll have plenty of time to work out an acceptable plan once the ship sails. There sure won't be anything else to do once we're out there on the open seas.”

“Again, why are you two coming with us?” Aryana glared at him. “I thought you had an inn to run and a kid to raise.” She then looked pointedly at Eve. “And you have a whole city full of nonbelievers to convert.”

“You're my daughter,” Eve said. “Why shouldn't I come with you? Besides, I want to talk to your parents and find out why they broke their promise to me…er…to Livia.”

“You seriously expected them to keep a promise to you ?” Aryana snorted again. “You practically laid waste to our entire kingdom when you were there. I don't think they will want anything to do with you, once they learn who you really are…er…were.”

“Livia never spoke directly to your parents, Aryana,” Eve admitted.

“Then how did you get them to make a promise to you?”

“The midwife,” Eve said. “She explained Livia's terms to them and made them promise not to allow you to take up a sword. It was part of the agreement when I gave you up to them.”

“An agreement?” Aryana's brow rose. “Seriously?”

“Yes,” Eve nodded. “Signed the day you were born. It gave them full parental rights, as long as they kept their end of the bargain. I never wanted a life of violence for any child of mine.” She glanced at Gabrielle. “Enough blood has been spilled in this family to last ten lifetimes.”

“I'm a warrior. It's who I am. Get over it, Messenger. There's nothing you can do to change what already is,” Aryana crossed her arms over her chest and glared defiantly.

“She's right,” Gabrielle said to Eve. “You can't change who she is.” She then rounded on Aryana. “But you can't change who she is, either. She's your mother. And a mother only wants what's best for her child. No matter what choices that child makes in her life.”

Aryana rolled her eyes and rested her chin on her upraised fist. “Give me a break. You guys are totally not going down that road again, are you? Blah, blah, blah. That's all you do is talk. And here I told Xena that you, especially,” she pointed a finger at Gabrielle, “didn't talk much anymore. Damn, was I wrong!” She threw her hands up in exasperation. She then noticed every eye was suddenly staring at her. “What?”

“What did you just say?” Gabrielle hissed.

“You heard me,” Aryana waved her off with an exasperated eye roll.

“You talked to Xena?” Gabrielle looked around the table. She noticed Eve was the only one who was avoiding meeting her gaze. “Did you know about this, Eve?”

“She had a dream this morning,” Eve shrugged. “It completely slipped my mind.”

“Seriously?” Gabrielle's tone was filled with disbelief.

“What's the big deal?” Aryana butted in. “So I saw Granny? Who cares?”

Gabrielle was suddenly right there next to Aryana and practically right up in her face. “Describe her to me.”

Aryana gave her an incredulous look. “Dark hair. Blue eyes. Dark leathers with a swirly brass breastplate thingy. A sword hilt poking up behind her shoulder. She kept calling me a ‘kid'.” She glared at Gabrielle. “Guess I know where that comes from.”

“And what else did she say to you?” Gabrielle prodded hopefully.

Aryana's brow rose. “Why don't you ask her, yourself, the next time she invades your dreams? It kinda freaked me out, okay? Sheesh.”

Gabrielle backed off and sat back down without another word.

Eve placed a comforting hand on Gabrielle's arm and squeezed lightly. “Maybe Mother is trying to tell us something.”

“Or maybe she found a way to return to our realm,” Virgil added. “I wouldn't put it past her.”

“Whatever the reason, we need to gather supplies for the journey,” Eve stood up. “Come on, Aryana. You and I are going shopping.”

Aryana's eyes widened and she silently pleaded with Gabrielle for help. Gabrielle hid a chuckle behind her hand, knowing full-well how much the younger woman just loved shopping.

“Have fun, you two,” Gabrielle snickered as Aryana reluctantly followed Eve out of the inn. “Don't get lost! We still have a ship to board first thing in the morning!”

Virgil shot Gabrielle a playful grin. “The kid's not too fond of shopping, I take it?”

“Was Xena?” Gabrielle gave him a raised-browed look.

“No?”

“She hated it,” Gabrielle produced a small smile. “Unless it was for weapons or horses. Then she was all in and then some. Otherwise, she was like a pouty little kid who couldn't sit still.”

“Ah,” Virgil nodded. “So that means you were the one who did most of the shopping?”

“And cooking,” Gabrielle added. “But you already know that, Virgil. Your dad probably told you all about our little family dynamic.”

He shrugged. “Not all of it. He wasn't around you guys all the time. Remember?”

Gabrielle smiled fondly. “He was there enough to know that much.” Her smiled widened. “Matter of fact, did he ever tell you about the time he made his infamous radish stew for us?”

His face scrunched in distaste. “Raddish stew? No. Uck! Sounds disgusting. He never told me about that one. I certainly would have remembered.”

Gabrielle launched into a full-blown bardic tale about the time Joxer made raddish stew for them. That was one of the most physically demanding adventures they had all experienced. Not only did she and Xena end up sick from the stew, but they both ended up with lice and an awful skin rash, while also trying to rid a village of yet another warlord. While the two of them were running around scratching, picking and being sick, Joxer was completely oblivious. Not surprising.

“Sheep poo? Really?” Virgil looked incredulous as Gabrielle finished the tale.

Gabrielle silently chuckled. “Xena said it would help relieve the itch.”

“And did it?”

“Nope.”

“Then…”

Gabrielle's eyes narrowed and a smile touched her lips. “Let's just say, Xena had a wicked sense of humor when it came to certain juvenile vulgarities. And the sheep poo smelled far worse than the stew, let me tell ya. Didn't relieve the itch at all. And it backfired on her when she ended up with the rash.”

“Did you guys defeat the warlord?”

“No,” Gabrielle smiled fondly. “Actually, your dad did. He infiltrated the guy's army as their replacement cook and fed them that disgusting stew of his. Xena and I just waltzed in afterwards and cleaned up. It was priceless. Your dad was the real hero that day. And he used a ladel, instead of a sword, to do it.” Her expression turned thoughtful again. “Hm. Maybe.”

Virgil watched her expression change. “What?”

Gabrielle sat up straighter. “Oh, nothing. Just letting the beginnings of a plan formulate. We can talk more on the ship.” And then she frowned. “Maybe it will take my mind off any rough seas we encounter.”

He placed a hand over hers. “You gonna be okay, Gabrielle? I remember the last time we all sailed together. Xena had to knock you out so you wouldn't…”

“Different circumstances, entirely,” Gabrielle cut him off. “We're not headed to a foreign land to free my neice from Gurkahn this time around, Virgil. And…” She forcibly swallowed over another of those annoying lumps that any mention of Xena always seemed to cause. “Xena's not with us. So, I'll be coherent the whole trip. The gods help us if we actually do encounter any rough weather. I have no idea what she gave me to knock me out on that trip.”

His expression went blank. “I have no clue, either. She never told us.”

“Well, there ya go,” said Gabrielle. “Pray, Virgil. Pray for calm seas and we'll be fine.”

“Who should I pray to?” He shot her a teasing gleam. “Eve's god? Or the remaining Olympians?”

“Both?”

They both chuckled mirthlessly at that.

“Don't let Eve hear you say that,” Gabrielle shot him a pointed look. “We'll never hear the end of it during the entire voyage. Do you really want her preaching about Eli's love and forgiveness all the way to Arendahl?”

Virgil suddenly sobered. He seemed to be struggling with some internal battle for a moment. “She got hurt,” he blurted before he could stop himself.

“What?” Gabrielle sat forward. “When? How?”

“She doesn't like anyone to talk about it,” he went on quickly. “So you can't tell her I told you.” He got up and grabbed a pitcher of cider and two tankards, then returned to the table. He poured them each a tankard before settling down again. “It happened a few years ago. She was near the border of Egypt when a band of slavers attacked the caravan she was traveling with. Her followers managed to get her onboard a ship bound for Athens. She was badly wounded. Spent the entire voyage in a fevered delirium from a long gash down her side. She nearly died.”

“Which is why she set up shop here?” Gabrielle asked curiously and received a curt nod.

“It took more than a moon for her to recover from her injuries. It was almost another year before she fully regained her strength. It nearly crushed her spirit. She felt responsible for the scores of followers who died in the desert at the hands of those slavers, while she was whisked away to safety. She's only been delivering the message personally here for a few moons, now. Those followers who escaped did most of the work while she recovered.”

Gabrielle nodded thoughtfully. “And then I show up with Aryana in tow.”

“She told me she had a vision while she was convalescing,” he continued with a wry half-grin. “Eli came to her and said it is finally time for the Savior to make his appearance in the world. He then told her someone from her past would return.”

“Who is this Savior?”

“I don't know,” Virgil shook his head. “Some call him Messiah. Others feel he is merely a prophet of Eli's One-God.”

“The god of love that Eli spoke about while he still lived?”

“The god of a people called the Judeans, far across the sea in the desert lands near Egypt,” he nodded. “The Savior's arrival is supposed to usher in a new chapter in human history. Eve says the message he brings to the world will change everything.”

“Eli's message was supposed to change everything,” Gabrielle's expression turned cynical. “He's dead. Ares killed him right in front of me.”

“Is he really?” Virgil looked pointedly at her. “You were there when Eve received her calling—when she shed her past, when Eli descended from the heavens to bless her.”

“I didn't actually witness it with my own eyes, Virgil,” she took a sip of her cider. “Xena did. I was just…” She shook her head to dispel those dark memories. “I was never really a part of what they shared together that day.”

“But you were there,” he prodded. “I've read the scroll, Gabrielle. You witnessed Eve's transformation.”

Gabrielle didn't want to talk about that time so long ago. To do so would call up memories that were better left buried in a past that she wanted desperately to forget. Unfortunately, Virgil had a point. And events were already in motion that seemed to be sweeping her up against her will. Again.

Gabrielle was a former follower of Eli and one of Eve's mothers. She also had lethal combat skills and wasn't afraid to use the weapons at her disposel. Would that create a problem for Eve and her followers? Gabrielle wasn't sure. There was also Aryana to consider. She was also a warrior. And her homeland was in trouble. That was supposed to be Gabrielle's main objective. Free Arendahl from Jerell. She had to keep reminding herself of that.

Gabrielle thought about what Virgil had just told her about the attack on Eve. Had those men really been slavers? Or was there more to the story? Gabrielle was experienced enough to know there were many facets to any story—many sides that were sometimes overlooked when the story was told from only one person's perspective.

Did that apply to Aryana, too? Was Gabrielle running blindly to Arendahl without actually taking into consideration that there might be more to the story than Aryana was letting on? Gabrielle certainly didn't have all the facts. Or did she?

Gabrielle held her head in her hands and groaned. “I wish…” she left the thought hanging and shut her eyes tight before she finished that particular thought.

Yes, she wished with all her heart that Xena was there. Xena usually saw things much more clearly than Gabrielle did, especially when it came to politics, religion and matters of war. When it came to matters of the heart, well…Gabrielle wasn't always the sharpest scythe in the shed, but she was willing to admit that she was more than capable.

“It's okay, Gabrielle,” Virgil put a hand on her shoulder. “I'm sorry for mentioning…”

“No,” she lifted her head and met his gaze. “Don't be sorry. I'm not. Xena is a part of this, whether I like it or not. It's time I accept it. I'm tired of dancing around any mention of her just because I haven't been able to come to terms with her death.” She sat up straight with her shoulders back. It's time I stopped feeling sorry for myself. Time I finally accepted, once and for all, that she's not coming back. Her eyes flashed with a fire that hadn't been there before, as she locked gazes with him. “You'll need a sword, Virgil. Between the three of us—you, me and Aryana—we should be able to keep Eve safe.”

He nearly choked on his cider—again. “What?”

“Yes.” The sparkle in her green eyes returned and with such intensity that he nearly scooted his chair back away from her. “It will be just like old times. Once we take care of business in Arendahl, maybe we can head down to the land of the Judeans and see what all the fuss is about with this savior of theirs. What do you say?”

“Well,” he gave her a noncommittal half-smile. “I have my son and the inn to consider. I can't just shirk my responsibilities here and run off on some fool's errand for the duration. Why don't we discuss it on the way? Maybe Eve will have a change of heart once we reach Arendahl. Maybe that adventure will be enough to extinguish this traveling itch of hers.”

“Fair enough,” she finished off her cider and stood. “I'm gonna go take care of a few things. Tell Eve and Aryana I'll see them later.”

She didn't wait for a response from him. She merely left the inn in a flurry of renewed determination and energy.

***

She found what she was looking for and ushered the young woman inside the ivy-covered building. They stopped just inside. The young woman seemed reluctant to venture any further.

“Here we are,” Gabrielle stepped aside and watched the woman's reaction.

“Um,” the woman looked around in distaste. “It's…”

“Yeah, it needs work,” Gabrielle moved to the altar and brushed a thick layer of choking dust away with a sweep of one arm. “But you're used to hard work, right?”

“I-I suppose so,” the young woman continued to survey the former temple. “Which one of the gods did you say this temple was dedicated to?”

“Aphrodite, the Goddess of Love,” Gabrielle pulled a bunch of ivy off a statue in a corner. “See?”

“Oh,” the young woman looked stunned. “She's…”

“Scantily clad, yes, I know,” Gabrielle chuckled. “You should see her in the flesh.” They both blushed. “Er, so to speak.”

“And you want me to repay you for saving my life by restoring this place to its former glory?” The woman was skeptical. “I don't know, Gabrielle…”

“It's not that much of a stretch, Marissa,” Gabrielle looked around. “And Aphrodite will probably reward you generously for scrubbing this place down for her.”

The skepticism deepened on the youthful features. “How?”

Gabrielle walked over and put an arm around the young woman's shoulders. “I'm sure you'll figure it out, eventually. Let's just say, Aphrodite is generous when it comes to those who dedicate themselves to her service.” She almost laughed at the blush that suffused Marissa's cheeks. “And you might want to recruit a few others to help you.” Gabrielle glanced around at the mess. “It'll make the job a whole lot easier.”

Marissa turned a shy smile on Gabrielle. “Okay. I will. You can count on me.” She then took Gabrielle's hands in both of hers. “And thank you again for saving my life, Gabrielle. I can never repay you for stopping those men from…well, you know.” She kissed Gabrielle's cheek and then raced out of the temple.

Gabrielle put a hand to her cheek where the young woman's lips had been. And then she heard a distinctive pop behind her. She didn't bother turning around.

“Hello, ‘Dite,” she said with a small smile. “Eavesdropping, are we?”

Aphrodite hugged her from behind. “Thank you, sweet pea!” She then kissed Gabrielle on the other cheek. “You're super awesome!”

“Thank me after this place is back up and running,” she turned in the embrace and hugged the goddess back. “No promises.”

Aphrodite smiled, hugged her again and then stepped away to survey the place. “Anything is better than nothing, Gabs. You've no idea. I can already feel a little surge.” She waved a hand and tossed a shimmering ball of hearts and glitter into the air.

Gabrielle managed to avoid most of the goddess' love dust as it floated down to the floor and disappeared in the grime. “I just hope it works out for you.” She leaned against a wall. “I'm leaving in the morning. Our ship sails at dawn.”

Aphrodite spun around to face her. “Already?”

“Yes,” Gabrielle nodded her blonde head. “Eve is coming with us. And Virgil, too.”

“Well,” the goddess put her hands on her hips and struck a customary saucy pose, “at least you'll have company on the road, sweet pea. That's good.”

“Aryana is Eve's daughter,” Gabrielle said and watched the goddess' reaction. She wasn't disappointed. “But you already knew that, didn't you?”

Aphrodite's expression sobered. “I tried to tell you, but…” She shrugged. “There are rules, now.”

“Rules?”

“The big kahuna's a real stickler for rules,” said the goddess. “Tends to keep a close eye on things down here. If you ask me, it's more than a little creepy. Know what I mean?”

Gabrielle looked up at the ceiling. “Will he banish you if your temple is back up and running?”

Aphrodite shrugged. “Maybe. Doesn't matter. I really don't care anymore. I'm tired of hiding.” She snapped her fingers and her red-velvet settee appeared. She patted the seat next to her and Gabrielle sat down. “So, you're gonna run off to play the hero and save the kingdom from the evil warlord?” She chuckled. “How very Xena of you.”

Gabrielle rested her head against the goddess' shoulder as she fingered the chakram at her waist. “I'm not her.”

“I know,” the goddess put a hand on Gabrielle's thigh. “The two of you always complimented each other. You each had your different strengths and weaknesses. But the fireworks…” She grinned. “Now, those were spec-tabulous!”

Gabrielle chuckled as she glanced up at the goddess. “Liked that, did you?”

Aphrodite rested her own head against Gabrielle's. “I miss having the two of you together. You made my job, like, totally easy.” She thought about that for a moment. “Well, mostly. Took both of you forev's to figure out the whole soulmate thing, let me tell ya. I thought I was gonna have to call Cupid in to hit you both with an arrow.” She rolled her eyes in disgust. “Xena was so afraid of losing you as her best friend that she totally didn't want to make the first move.” She snorted. “And she didn't, did she?”

“No,” Gabrielle smiled knowingly with a slight blush. “I did.” She ducked her head. “Can't believe we're having this discussion.”

“It's therapeutic, sweetie,” Aphrodite stroked Gabrielle's cheek. “Consider it a little gift from little ol' me.”

“Thanks, ‘Dite,” Gabrielle placed a hand over the goddess'. “You're a good friend.”

“And thank you for the new priestess,” Aphrodite held Gabrielle's hand in hers. “Where did you find her, anyway?”

Gabrielle chuckled mirthlessly. “Saved her from a fate worse than death at the inn we're staying at.”

Aphrodite sat up and looked at Gabrielle. “Did you…”

Gabrielle absently fingered the chakram as her expression hardened. “Not one of my finer moments. But I did what I had to do.”

Aphrodite reached over, put a finger under Gabrielle's chin and tilted her head up. “I felt that,” she said sadly and pressed a hand to her chest. “Like, right here.”

Gabrielle's eyes widened slightly. “You did?”

The goddess nodded. “Felt like someone punched me really hard. Hurt like crazy. I couldn't breathe. Thought I was becoming mortal again. It sucked. Really sucked.”

“Oh,” Gabrielle looked down at the chakram. She unhooked it from her belt and held it up. “I think it might have something to do with this.”

Aphrodite eyed the weapon with trepidation. “Where did you get that?”

“It was Xena's.”

“Yes, I know,” the goddess continued to stare at the weapon. “Ares gave it to her. But,” She shook her head, “it looked different the last time I saw it. That design wasn't in the middle, for one thing.”

“It changed after…” Gabrielle hooked the weapon back on her belt. “After Xena and I died and came back while Eli was still with us. It's a long story.”

“Does Ares know you have it?”

Gabrielle considered the question thoughtfully for a moment. “I really don't know. I haven't seen or heard from him in a while. Well, except for…” She shook her head. “He popped in for a quick chat while Aryana and I were on our way here. He appeared to me through an old friend. I think he was trying to warn me about something.

That got Aphrodite's full attention. “You actually saw him? When? Where?”

“I just told you,” Gabrielle was a little surprised by the goddess' sudden enthusiasm. “Why? Don't you get to see him anymore?”

“I haven't been home in forev's,” Aprhodite's expression fell. “I can't.” She snapped her fingers and nothing happened this time. No sparks. No shimmering hearts. “It used to be so easy to pop in and out. Not so much now.”

“Well, maybe more followers will help with that,” Gabrielle smiled sadly and patted the goddess' bare thigh. “Then you can go to Olympus and find out what's really been going on. Catch up on old times with your brother.”

“Yeah,” Aphrodite's expression turned wistful. “I actually miss the big lug. I hope he's not moping. I hate it when he mopes. Or whines.” She rolled her eyes in disgust. “There's nothing worse than a whiny God of War.”

“He probably misses you, too.” Gabrielle chuckled as she stood up to leave. “Well, I need to go.” She waited while the goddess stood up to face her. “Take care of yourself, ‘Dite.” They hugged again. “I'll really miss you.” She pulled back enough to look the goddess in the eye. “Even when you were giving me a hard time as Ayella.”

Aphrodite smiled and brushed the hair away from Gabrielle's eyes. “You take care of yourself, too, Gabrielle. I'm really going to miss having you around.”

They hugged for several moments and then Gabrielle stepped away. “Goodbye, my friend.” She then turned and walked out of the temple without a backward glance.

Tears rolled down her cheeks as she walked up the street. No one seemed to notice. The street was crowded with people heading toward the festival's activities. No one bothered Gabrielle as she snaked her way through the crowd and ducked down a side alley that provided a shortcut to the inn.

***

“Dawn? Ugh!” Aryana sat on a chair just outside the meeting tent with her mother.

“Dawn,” Eve confirmed as she glanced around the deserted area. There would be no more meetings, she realized. The previous night was the last one for her. “I'm going to miss this place.”

Aryana looked doubtful. “This city? It's really crowded and noisy. Dirty, too. Too many people and most of them don't bathe regularly. I'm sure not going to miss it. Arendahl is nothing like this dump.”

Eve put an arm around Aryana's shoulders and was mildly surprised when the young woman didn't pull away. “Arendahl is a backwoods village compared to Athens,” she chuckled. “But I know what you mean.”

Aryana glanced at the auburn head. “Why did you leave?”

Eve sighed. “Livia had a destiny to fulfill, Aryana. I'm not sure I can make you understand how driven and focused I was on fulfilling that destiny. I couldn't let anything, or anyone, stand in my way. Not love. Not devotion. Not a baby. Nothing.”

Tears sprang to Aryana's eyes, but she refused to let them fall. “I wish I'd known. It could have explained so many things in my life. My parents…” She shook her head, took a deep breath and let it out slowly. “They never did understand me. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why. Now I know.”

Eve ventured a sidelong glance at her. “My childhood was probably just as confusing as yours was. I had no idea who my parents were. And my benefactor, Octavius, was immersed in his own rise to power as Caesar Augustus. Fighting was all I knew. I channeled the pain at being rejected by people I didn't even know into becoming a great warrior.”

“They didn't reject you,” Aryana corrected.

“No,” Eve cocked her head thoughtfully. “That's true. But it didn't make the pain any less difficult to bear. I spent a lot of time in the company of warriors who were eager to teach me what they knew. And I was eager to learn the arts of war. Killing replaced the pain of rejection. It gave me a purpose. I could channel the pain into something productive.”

“It made you feel important,” Aryana added with a wistful smile. “Like you belonged somewhere.”

“Yes.”

“So, why did you give it all up? What made you totally change who you were to who you are now, name and all?”

“Eve is actually my given name,” Eve smiled. “It was the name Xena chose for me when I was born. Livia was the name I took when I came of age in Rome. Like Octavius, I wanted to establish myself as someone of great power and authority. I chose a strong Roman name. He chose Augustus. I chose Livia.”

“Eve wasn't good enough for you?”

“No,” she shrugged. “Not in those days. I needed to fit in—to be a true Roman citizen. Besides,” she grinned wryly, “the gods of Olympus were hunting for Eve, daughter of Xena, Bringer of the Twilight. They weren't looking for a Roman warrior-in-training by the name of Livia. Augustus made sure no one knew who I really was.”

“Queen Shari would never make one of her subjects change their name in order to fit in,” Aryana glanced sidelong at her.

“Rome is a world away from Athens, much less Arendahl,” Eve reached out and took Aryana's hand in both of hers. “I really thought I was doing the right thing by leaving you with them, Aryana. No matter how you feel about it, I thought it was for the best.” She stroked Aryana's hand in hers with a thumb. “I'm glad you never knew Livia. And I'm really glad I never exposed you to the long road of blood, violence and destruction that I marched while in those sandals.” She placed her hand against Aryana's cheek. “I hope you understand that and someday find it in your heart to forgive me for what I did.”

Aryana stared off into the distance. “You did what you had to do. I guess I can accpet that. It's why I need to return to Arendahl. Queen Shari needs me.” Her eyes flicked to Eve's for the barest of heartbeats.

“Oh?”

Aryana blushed. “I'm…” She shook her head. “It's hard to explain.”

Eve looked away with a knowing gleam. “You're in the right company. That's for sure.”

Aryana shifted uncomfortably. “It's not like that.”

“Isn't it?” Eve studied her. “You love her.”

Aryana refused to meet the intense gaze. “I…It's…” She blew out a frustrated breath. “I can't believe I'm having this discussion, much less with the woman who gave birth to me.”

“Does she know?”

Aryana looked down at their joined hands. “It's not my place. I'm a member of her royal guard. She would never…” She shook her head again. “Besides, I'm a woman. She will eventually have to marry and bear children in order to continue the royal line.” She shrugged. “I'm not exactly equipped to father a child. No matter how crazy and unbelievable my parentage is.”

“Have the two of you ever…” Eve let the question hang.

“No,” Aryana answered quickly. “She doesn't know. She can never know. No one can ever know.”

“Oh, Aryana,” Eve let her head rest against Aryana's shoulder. “Love is nothing to be ashamed of. It's a beautiful, magical, wonderful experience that should be cherished and celebrated.”

“Says the Messenger of Eli,” Aryana snorted in derision. “No offense, Eve, but I don't really buy into the whole ‘love will set you free' message that you and your followers are spreading everywhere. Love isn't all sunshine and rainbows. Sometimes it's just messy and painful.” She then looked Eve in the eye. “Just look at what it's done to Gabrielle, if you don't believe me.”

“Mm, you might have a point there,” Eve said quietly as she rested her head against her daughter's.

***

Gabrielle felt a little lighter as she left the temple and meandered through the streets with no particular destination in mind. She didn't want to return to the inn, just yet. She needed more time to sort through her feelings over everything with Eve and Aryana. She was still having a hard time accepting the circumstances that had brought them all together. Then again, wasn't that just the way the Fates tended to work in her life?

Looking back, she remembered all the times she and Xena had been in the right place at the right time. It was certainly true with Eli. She and Xena would never have met him if they hadn't ventured to faraway India. She shuddered slightly when she remembered everything they had experienced there. The demons. The gods. The strange and mystical customs. Finding out that she and Xena would eventually meet again in a future life. Their destinies were forever intertwined.

And yet…

“Is this how it will always be for us, Xena?” Gabrielle muttered quietly as she walked past a crowd gathered around one of the many outdoor stages. “We find each other, spend a short time together and then…” A tear inadvertently slipped down her cheek. She quickly swiped it away.

She refused to give in to the melancholy again. Blinking the tears away, she stopped in the midst of the crowd to see which play was being performed. It appeared to be a comedy. The crowd laughed at the antics of one of the characters on stage—a fool in love. A fool whose one true love had left him for another man.

Gabrielle turned away and continued on her way. As much as she loved watching plays, she was certainly not in the mood for one about love, not even if it was a comedy. Before she knew it, her meanderings took her to the outter gate of the city where a group of centurions were gathered. There were about twenty armed men wearing the customary armor of the Roman legions.

“Now,” a tall centurion in a blue tunic and gold armor addressed them with stern authority, “the Procter wants this matter settled quietly, once and for all. I intend to carry out his order to the letter. Our target is a gypsy camp just beyond those trees. We go in, round them all up and bring the scum back to face the Procter first thing in the morning.”

“Are you sure the murderer is a gypsy, Maximus?” One of the others asked.

“There is no doubt in my mind, Flavius. I tracked the murderer's movements back to their camp myself. This particular band of gypsies has been causing trouble for far too long. They are all thieves and pickpockets. It isn't that much of a leap from those petty crimes to cold-blooded murder. I'm sure the one who killed those two men at the inn just got caught in the act and retaliated. But we can't let a murderer run loose on the streets of Athens. It's time we show them all what Roman justice is all about. Now, move out, men!”

Gabrielle felt ice-cold dread hit her like a physical blow. She knew exactly who he was talking about. Minya's family was among the people camped in the woods beyond the city. She also knew they had nothing to do with what happened at the inn. She was the murderer the Romans were seeking. And it was time for her to make things right.

Slipping off into the darkness, Gabrielle followed the Romans at a discreet distance. She had no idea what she was going to do. She had no plan. All she knew was she needed to protect Minya and her family, while also setting things straight with the whole ugly affair at the inn. She needed to make things right before she boarded that ship.

***

“Where is she? The ship sails in less than a candlemark. If she doesn't get here soon, the captain says he's gonna leave without her.”

“Patience, Aryana,” Eve said.

Eve, Aryana and Virgil were seated around what had become their usual table at the inn. They had just finished their morning meal and were waiting for Gabrielle to return. She hadn't been there all night.

“I'll admit this has me more than a little worried,” Virgil added. “Where could she be?” He glanced at the front door, which remained firmly closed. “Maybe someone should go find her.”

The sun was just starting to rise and a single ray of sunlight shone through one of the windows, casting an eerie glow on the opposite wall.

“And where, pray tell, would you start looking?” Eve shot him a raised-browed look. “She could be anywhere, Virgil.”

“I found her passed out in a tavern the other night,” he replied. “That might be the best place to look.”

“Do you know how many taverns there are around here, Virgil?”

“I'm well aware, Eve.”

“She could be in any one of them. We don't have time to search every tavern in the city.”

“Then what do you suggest? We just sit here and do nothing?”

“She knows when the ship is scheduled to set sail,” said Eve. “She'll be at the docks. Maybe she's even there, right now.”

“This is crazy,” Virgil grabbed his pack and hoisted it to a shoulder. “Let's get down there, then.” He headed toward the door with Eve right behind him.

Aryana rolled her eyes in exasperation as she grabbed her own pack of meager belongings and followed the other two outside.

“You people are completely nuts,” she muttered as she kept pace with Eve and Virgil who were still arguing in front of her. “What was I thinking?”

***

Gabrielle groaned softly as she slowly regained consciousness and glanced around. She was in unfamiliar surroundings. A small cell packed with a few familiar faces.

“Where…”

“Heya, Gabrielle,” a vaguely familiar voice greeted her in the face an old woman.

She turned her head and instantly regretted doing so. “Ugh. What happened?”

“The Romans happened,” another familiar voice replied. “Apologies, Gabrielle. We had no idea you would come to our rescue, yet again.”

Memories of the night before came rushing back to her. The Romans had marched straight to the clearing where Misha, Minya and the family were camped. The Romans then surrounded the camp and started rounding up everyone. Gabrielle tried to intervene, but the Roman lieutenant ignored her arguments. He then ordered two of his men to take her. Gabrielle vaguely remembered fighting to break free as she shouted at the lieutenant to let Minya's family go. A well-placed blow to her head and then she couldn't remember anything else.

“How's the head?” Minya placed a cold cloth against the side of Gabrielle's head. “That was some hit you took. That big Roman has a decent right hook.”

Gabrielle gingerly touched the throbbing lump where she was sure a bruise was. “That guy's fist was like a rock. It was sure hard enough.”

Minya chuckled. “I don't think he was very happy that you got in a few blows of your own, before he had a chance to retaliate. He has a pretty good shiner to show for it.”

Gabrielle smiled wanly. “Where are we?”

“Stockade,” Misha scooted closer. “They brought us all here last night.” He glanced around. “The entire clan. I have no idea why, either. We have done nothing. This makes no sense to me.”

“I'm afraid it's my fault, Misha,” Gabrielle said. “The Romans think one of you is a murderer.”

“A mur…What? But how can this be? We did nothing.”

Gabrielle sighed. “It's a long story.”

“We have nothing but time, Gabrielle,” Minya smiled wanly.

Gabrielle glanced toward the barred window. “What time is it, anyway?”

“Dawn,” Misha replied.

Minya noticed the frown that suddenly marred Gabrielle's features. “What is it, Gabrielle?”

“I'm supposed to be on a ship with Aryana, Eve and Virgil,” she replied. “They must be worried sick, right about now.”

“They don't know where you are?” Asked Minya.

“No,” Gabrielle shook her head and instantly regretted it. She winced. “I just said I was going for a walk to clear my head. I saw the Romans gathered by the city gate. I didn't have time to send word back to the inn to let them know where I was going.”

“There is not much that can be done, now,” Misha shrugged. “We are at their mercy.”

Gabrielle got up and walked to the barred door. “Hey!” She shouted through the bars. “Is anyone out there?”

A face appeared on the other side. “What?” The man had a nice shiner and Gabrielle knew he was one of the men from the night before.

“Take me to the Procter,” Gabrielle said to the guard. “I have something important to tell him.”

“You'll have your chance, eventually,” the man replied gruffly. “He's a busy man. Now, back off!”

Gabrielle moved closer until her face was right between the bars. “I'm the one you want. Let these people go. They didn't do anything.”

He considered her words for a moment. “It's not for me to decide. I'm just a guard.”

“Then go find the lieutenant who brought us here. I'll tell him everything.”

“I can't leave my post.”

“You can't or you won't? Come on. You have a chance to do the right thing here. These people didn't do anything. They've been wrongly accused. I'm the one who killed those men at the inn. You have your murderer. Let these people go. Or, better yet, go find your lieutenant. I'll explain what really happened. Come on. What do you have to lose?”

He seriously considered what she was saying, but then his expression hardened. “No. I have my orders.” He then moved back into the shadows.

Gabrielle grabbed hold of the bars and put her face right between them as far as she could. She then yelled at the top of her lungs. “Hey! Hello! Is anybody out there? You've arrested innocent people! Please! Someone listen to me! These people didn't do anything wrong! They're innocent! I'm the one who murdered those men at the inn! I'm your murderer! These people are innocent! Come on! I'm telling the truth!”

The guard's face was suddenly right there again. This time he was obviously angry.

“Get back and shut up!” He slammed a fist toward her, but she moved and his fist slammed into the bars, instead. “Bitch!”

She heard a key in the lock and then the door swung open. It was the chance she needed and she took it. Without waiting for him to make the first move, Gabrielle struck fast and hard. She caught him on the side of the head with her closed fist and followed up with a right hook under his chin. The blow snapped his head back and momentarily stunned him.

But he wasn't alone.

Gabrielle realized her mistake the instant another body pushed through the door. But it was too late. She was already committed to escaping. She swung for the second guard before he could fully grasp what was happening. Despite his attempt to dodge the blow, her fist connected with his chin.

And then Misha and his uncle pounced.

Trevian tackled the guard closest to Gabrielle and landed several blows to the centurion's face and head. Not to be outdone, Misha body-slammed the other guard into the wall and knocked the wind out of him. Before the guard could recover, Misha yanked the guard's sword from the sheath at his hip and subdued him. The guard held his hands up in surrender.

Trevian managed to head-butt the second guard, knocking the man out cold.

“That was…” Misha was breathing heavily from his exertions as he rested his hands on his knees.

“We need to hurry,” Gabrielle helped Minya to her feet. “There might be more of them coming.” She then hustled them all out the door. “Go! Don't stop! Keep going until you're outside.”

“You need to come with us, Gabrielle,” Misha still held the guard's sword in his hand.

“I need to get to the docks and board that ship,” she said. “Don't worry about me, my friend. I'll be fine.”

Minya stood just outside the door. “Gabrielle.”

Gabrielle stepped out into the hallway. “Yes? What is it, Minya? We don't really have time…”

Minya grabbed her by her upper arms and held her in a surprisingly strong grip. “I had another vision last night.”

Gabrielle frowned. “Minya, please…”

“You need to listen, Gabrielle,” Minya insisted, her milky-white eyes staring intensely at Gabrielle. “It's important.”

“Okay, fine. What is it?” Gabrielle actually rolled her eyes in exasperation.

“The Roman has the weapon. You need to get it back from him. It's imperative that you have it when you reach the end of your journey. The fate of the world is riding on your shoulders.”

Gabrielle's frown deepened. “What does that mean? What are you saying?”

A wistful smile appeared on the craggy features as the sightless eyes seemed to pierce to the very depths of Gabrielle's soul. “You are the key, Gabrielle. The key to a much greater good than you could ever possibly imagine. But you need to retrieve Xena's chakram in order to unlock the mysteries that await you.”

And then Minya let go and shuffled away without a backward glance. Gabrielle stood there for a moment as the words sank in. Confusion was etched on her features as she shook herself and returned her attention to the matter at hand.

“You need to hurry, my friend,” Misha said. “And thank you for rescuing my family, yet again. We are forever in your debt.”

“Just make sure you all get as far away from the city as possible, Misha. The Romans won't soon forget what happened here. They might actually try to retaliate against all of you.”

He gave her a quick hug. “Take care of yourself, Gabrielle. Until we meet again.”

“Same to you,” she returned the hug and then watched him follow the rest of his family out of the building.

A groan from inside the cell quickly brought Gabrielle back to the matter at hand. She closed and locked the cell door with the two guards inside. She then tucked the key into the belt at her waist. She had no idea where the Roman lieutenant was.

Time was running out.

***

“Where is she?” Multi-colored eyes scanned the docks for any sign of a blonde head. Still nothing.

Aryana stood next to Eve at the railing of the ship they had booked passage on. It was just after dawn. The sun was peeking through a few clouds on the eastern horizon. And the ship's captain was restless to get underway. The tide was in and the ship was fully loaded. It was time to set sail.

“The captain says it's time,” Virgil came up next to Eve and leaned on the railing. “He's ordered the crew to weigh anchor. We'll be underway shortly.”

“But Gabrielle still isn't here, yet,” Aryana continued to scan the docks. “She promised she'd be here.”

“Maybe she changed her mind,” Eve spoke up with a worried look.

Aryana glanced sidelong at Eve. “Why would she do that? We've come all this way. She promised to help.”

“Or maybe she got waylaid,” Virgil added with a shrug. “It happens.”

“You don't think…no,” Eve shook her head. “She wouldn't go to the Roman authorities and turn herself in. Would she?”

Aryana's eyes widened. “What? Why would she do that?”

“Eve, you know how she feels about the Romans,” Virgil ignored Aryana's question completely. “I don't think turning herself in would ever cross her mind.”

“This is Gabrielle we're talking about, Virgil,” Eve said. “Maybe she had a good reason to go to the authorities and explain what really happened. Set the record straight.”

“WEIGH ANCHOR, MEN! PUT YOUR BACKS INTO IT!”

“Someone should find out what happened to her,” Aryana looked down at the dark water lapping against the hull of the ship. “At the very least, go look for her.”

“Don't even think about it, Aryana,” Eve put a hand on Aryana's shoulder and held her in place.

“Oh, for…!” Virgil dropped his pack onto the deck and then hopped up onto the railing. “We'll find a way to catch up to you. I promise.”

“Virgil, wait!”

Before any further protests could be made, Eve and Aryana watched as Virgil uncermoniously dove into the water and swam to shore.

“I can't believe he just did that,” Aryana lifted Virgil's discarded pack to her shoulder. “I wasn't going to jump into the water. I can barely swim.”

Eve turned away from the railing, leaned back against it and stared off toward the distant horizon as she crossed her arms over her chest. “Well, I guess it's just the two of us.” She gave Aryana a wan smile. “Let's hope it doesn't take them too long to catch up.”

They felt the ship start to move as the anchor was stowed and the crewmen around them hustled to set the sails.

“Yeah,” Aryana turned around to lean against the railing with Eve. “At least we'll have some time to get to know each other a little better.”

Eve smiled and locked arms with her. “That's the spirit, Aryana. Let's make the best of this while we can.”

***

Gabrielle approached the stone building with caution and more than a little trepidation. The word “JUSTICE” was carved into the facing in large letters high overhead. Stone steps led up to six tall pillars that stood sentinel at the entrance to the building where the Roman Procter presided. She slowly climbed the steps with as much confidence as she could muster. Memories of Julius Caesar, Brutus and Octavius surfaced, but she quickly pushed them away. She didn't want to think about all that Rome had done to her and Xena throughout the years.

Several Roman centurions stood in the doorway beyond the pillars. They were armed with spears and had swords sheathed at their hips. They were intimidating in their polished finery. Hooded eyes warily watched her approach. Their expressions were guarded beneath their gleaming helmeted heads.

“I need to speak to the Procter,” Gabrielle stopped just in front of the nearest guard. “It's urgent.”

“The Procter is not receiving visitors at this time, citizen,” he responded. “Return after the festival. Maybe he will make time for you, then.”

“I have important information that I need to share with him,” Gabrielle added. “This can't wait. It's about the men who were killed at the inn the other night.”

The guard's curiosity was suddenly peeked. “You have information about the murders? Tell me and I will determine if your information is of value to the Procter.”

Gabrielle crossed her arms over her chest and stood her ground. “Take me to him. The information is for his ears alone.”

The guard took a step toward her. “Tell me now or I'll lock you up in the stockade until after the festival.”

Gabrielle chuckled. “Been there, done that. I'll just escape, come back here and see the Procter anyway. Now, are you going to take me to him? Or do we have to do this the hard way?”

The guard glanced at his comrades and then glared at Gabrielle. “You are outnumbered, citizen. I suggest you leave now. Come back after the festival.”

She smirked back. “Oh, I think you're wrong, there, Roman.”

Quick as lightning, she kicked him in the privates, yanked the spear from his grasp as he doubled over and then swung around to take out two other guards before they had time to react. She then slammed the butt-end of the spear down on the first guard's helmeted head, effectively rendering him unconscious. He dropped to the ground next to his comrades.

She then stepped back with the spear held at the ready. Two more men charged. Gabrielle grinned. She swung with all her might and knocked them both out cold. They dropped like stones to the ground. Another guard tried to come at her from the side, but she slammed the butt-end of the spear into his gut and then bashed him over the head with the other end.

The last guard eyed her warily as he drew his sword and dropped his spear.

“Seriously?” She gave him her best droll look.

He hesitated. Gabrielle spun around and aimed the spear for his knees. He blocked the strike with his sword, spun and came at her from above. She raised the spear horizontally in both hands and caught the blade, shoved it upwards and slammed into him with her shoulder. He hit the wall behind him, but managed to quickly right himself. Gabrielle reset her stance and waited for him to make the next move.

His temper got the best of him and he let loose a barrage of wild swings in the hope that he could penetrate her defenses. Gabrielle deflected every blow with practiced ease. Until she finally found the opening she was looking for. When he over-balanced with one swing, Gabrielle slammed the butt-end of the spear into his side, in the gap between the front and back plates of his armor. Bone cracked and he doubled over. She then slammed the spear down on his head as hard as she could. He went down like a sack of potatoes and didn't get back up.

With a satisfied grin, Gabrielle walked nonchalantly into the building.

Once inside, she found herself in an empty cooridor. With spear still in hand, she trotted down the hallway and turned a corner. Two more Roman centurions stood sentinel in front of a pair of closed double doors. They saw her heading their way and moved to intercept.

“Halt! What business…”

Gabrielle didn't let the man finish. She swung the butt-end of the spear and connected with both unsuspecting men at once. They both flew backwards and landed in a heap against the wall as Gabrielle continued on.

Yanking the doors open, Gabrielle strode into a large, opulent room. Golden sconces held flickering tapers. White marble walls contrasted sharply with a dark oak desk in the middle of the room. A dark head was bent over the desk. The man looked up in surprise as Gabrielle entered. Words died on his pale lips as she marched up to the desk and stood with the spear resting on the floor next to her foot with the head pointed at the intricate ceiling above.

“What is the meaning of this? Guards! Guards!” His pale features contrasted with the dark hair cut in the Roman style. His lips were a thin line. Eyes the color of amber glared in annoyance at her.

“Enough!” Gabrielle shifted the spear so the point was resting against the man's prominent adam's apple. “Your guards can't help you. They're…um…indisposed.”

“What is the meaning of this? Who are you? How dare you?” His gray eyes flashed with challenge as he glared daggers at her.

“First off,” she wasn't intimidated in the least, “leave the people who are camped outside the city alone. They didn't do anything to anyone. They are a peaceful people and they are my friends.”

His eyes narrowed to accusing slits. “One of them is a murderer.”

“No,” Gabrielle shook her head. “They didn't murder anyone.”

“And how do you know this? I have witnesses…”

“I'm the one who killed those two idiots at the inn,” Gabrielle cut him off. “They were trying to rape one of the kitchen maids right there in front of me. They wouldn't take no for an answer, so I did what needed to be done.”

“Maximus…”

“Doesn't know his head from a hole in the ground,” Gabrielle interrupted again. “He just wants to make trouble for those people.”

“They're worthless gypsies…”

“They are my friends,” she hissed and moved the spear point so that it pricked the skin at his throat. “Leave. Them. Alone!” Her eyes blazed with anger as she lowered her voice to a menacing growl. “I mean it. If I find out that you or any of your Roman centurions are making trouble for my friends again, I will return to this city and mete out my own brand of justice on every last one of you.”

“Brave words from…”

“They are not mere words,” she pressed the spear point deeper, until rivulets of blood trickled down his throat and stained the front of his gleaming white tunic. “You have no idea how much I abhor all things Roman. As far as I'm concerned, nothing good will ever come from Rome. Nothing!”

“You have no idea who you are speaking to, citizen,” he glanced down at the spear and then up again. “I am…”

“I know exactly who you are, Procter,” she hissed. “It's you who doesn't understand. You have no idea who I am or what I'm capable of.”

“Then enlighten me,” his lips thinned even more.

She moved closer while holding the spear perfectly still, until she was within inches of his face. “I'm the mother of the Messenger. And your worst nightmare.”

Amber eyes widened. “That's not possible. There are rumors that she died. This cannot be.”

“She isn't dead,” she smiled, but the smile didn't reach her own eyes. “I am very much alive.” She kept her gaze locked with his for several heartbeats, before she slowly moved back. “Now, tell me where Maximus is. He has my weapons and I want them back.”

The man glanced down at the spear still pressed against his throat and swallowed with a wince. “He…he's probably at the garrison with the rest of the centurions who aren't on duty at this time.” The spear eased from his throat slightly, returning a small measure of confidence to him that she wasn't going to kill him in cold blood. “You won't get away with this. I will have every last one of my men comb this city and hunt you down. They will find you. And once they do, I will make sure you pay for your insolence. Pax Romana . The peace of Rome extends farther than you could ever imagine.”

She moved in close again, pressing the point of the spear deeper until another trickle of blood escaped and stained his tunic. “There is no such thing as Roman peace. And I know exactly how far and wide Rome's influence extends. I've experienced your Pax Romana first hand. Mark my words, Procter. Rome will fall, just like every other empire that's come before it. Rome will one day extend itself too far, spread itself too thin, and then another power will rise up and crush it into dust.”

“You speak treason, citizen,” the man hissed. “Treason against the mighty Empire is punishable by death.”

She pulled the spear away from his throat and took a step back. “I'm already dead.” And then she turned on her heel and strode out without a backward glance.

***

Virgil was ready to give up and return to the inn. He had no idea where Gabrielle was after scouring the most obvious places throughout the city—every tavern, temple and merchant stall he could think of—for well over two candlemarks. He was sure the ship was well underway with Eve and Aryana safely onboard. Neither one had followed him into the water, at least. That much he was sure of. There was no sign of either of them when he pulled himself from the filthy water and began his search.

Running a hand through his short hair to make sure it was finally dry, Virgil turned a corner and found himself at the gate to the Roman garrison. Two centurions stood guard on either side of the massive wooden doors. Their helmeted heads and armored chests gleamed in the sunlight. Virgil stopped and stared for a moment.

“Move along, citizen,” the nearest of the guards spoke in a gruff tone. “This place is off-limits to the likes of you.”

Virgil stepped forward and flashed the taller man a charming smile. “I'm actually looking for someone. Maybe you've seen her?” He held a hand up just above his shoulder. “She's about so-tall, hair the color of summer wheat, dressed in a red outfit trimmed in black and has the most striking green eyes you've ever seen? Can't miss her. Or forget her, for that matter.”

The two guards exchanged a brief look.

“There are no women here, citizen,” the first guard replied.

Virgil wasn't quite convinced. “Are you sure? I'm pretty sure she was headed this way.”

“Try the stockade,” the other guard said and received a warning look from his companion. “What, Aurelius? Maximus was just boasting of the feisty blonde he captured with those gypsies. They threw her in the stockade with the rest.” He then looked at Virgil. “The lot of ‘em will stand before the Procter once the sun is at its zenith. One of them gypsies is a murderer. Maximus says the blonde stuck her nose where it don't belong when he and his men were rounding them all up.”

Virgil flashed him a grateful smile. “Thanks, centurion.”

“They won't let you in to see her!” The other guard called to Virgil. “She will have to stand before the Procter for her crimes.”

Virgil stopped and turned back. “And what is it they think she did, exactly?”

The two exchanged another look.

“A bunch of Maximus' men were injured when they returned to the garrison, earlier,” the second guard said. “One may never walk again. He was one of our best. Maximus was furious. He said she was like a berserker before they were able to subdue her. He intends to petition the Procter to use her as an example for those who would challenge Rome's authority here in the city.”

Virgil turned away and rolled his eyes. “Oh, boy.” He then headed toward the center of the city.

***

Gabrielle turned a corner and nearly collided with someone rushing from the opposite direction. She looked up and recognized the other person immediately.

“Virgil?”

“Gabrielle?”

“What are you doing here?” They both said in unison.

Virgil quickly grabbed Gabrielle's arm and herded her down a deserted alley. “What's going on, Gabrielle? Why didn't you meet us at the boat? We were worried sick.”

Gabrielle yanked her arm free from his grasp. “I need to get to the garrison, Virgil. Why are you here? Why aren't you on the boat with Eve and Aryana?”

He crossed his arms over his chest and glared at her. “Seriously? You disappear without a word and we're just…”

“Look, Virgil, I don't have time for this. I need to get to the garrison.” She pushed past him and started back the way she had come.

“What's so important about the garrison?” He quickly caught up to her. “They won't let you in, you know.”

“I need to find someone and get my stuff back,” Gabrielle kept right on going.

He looked her up and down. “How did…Where did…What…”

She stopped dead. “Virgil…”

“What?” It took him a few extra strides to figure out she had stopped.

“If you're going to tag along like a lost puppy, you need to shut up and just do as I say,” she moved up next to him. “I'm serious. This isn't a game. Some idiot took my weapons and need to get them back.”

“And you think just waltzing into the garrison is going to accomplish anything?” He gave her a doubtful look. “Those guys aren't going to just let you walk into their place so you can nose around.”

Her own expression turned doubtful. “You're right. We need a plan.”

He smiled. “Follow my lead.” He then turned and walked away.

Gabrielle quickly ran to catch up to him as they approached the gate to the garrison. Two guards stood sentinel and warily watched their approach.

“Halt, citizen!” The guard then frowned at Virgil. “Oh, it's you again.”

Virgil stopped in front of the man and turned to address Gabrielle. “So, recognize either of these two?”

“Nope,” she looked the guards up and down, in turn. “These guys weren't part of the group that arrested my friends.”

“Hm,” Virgil purposely refused to look at the two guards in front of him. “But they were dressed in a similar fashion?”

“They were,” Gabrielle replied easily.

Virgil put an arm around Gabrielle's shoulders as he looked pointedly at the guard directly in front of him. “This is the woman I was telling you about earlier.” He then looked Gabrielle up-and-down. “I think I did a decent job on the description, don't you think?”

The man's eyes widened slightly. “But she…”

“Didn't Maximus say he locked her up…”

“Ah, Maximus,” Gabrielle smiled knowingly as she crossed her arms over her chest. “Tell Maximus that I'm here for my weapons, and I'm not leaving without them.”

“But…” The guard pointed at her and then off in another direction with a shake of his head.

“Tell Maximus I'm here for my weapons,” Gabrielle repeated as she ignored his dumbfounded look. “Go on. Fetch, Roman.”

Virgil managed to stifle a chuckle at the incredulous look the two guards gave her.

“Maybe I should…”

“Leave your post and I'll gut you myself, Marcus,” Aurelius growled. He then looked pointedly at Virgil and Gabrielle. “Whatever game you're playing at isn't going to work. Now, leave! Or find yourselves spending a night in the stockade.”

“By the way, how did you escape the stockade?” Virgil asked Gabrielle conversationally. “I'm sure these fine gentlemen would love to hear that particular tale, my bardic friend.”

She pulled the keys from her belt and jangled them in front of her. “Pretty simple, actually.”

Both guards' eyes widened.

“Weren't you inside a cell at the time?” Virgil continued, seemingly oblivious to the fact that Aurelius took a step closer. “How did you manage…”

Gabrielle threw the keys directly into Aurelius' face and hit him square in the nose. Marcus then tried to grab her, but she sidestepped away from him. Virgil slammed a fist into Aurelius' already swelling nose and followed up with an elbow to the back of the guard's head that sent him sprawling. When Aurelius tried to get up, Virgil kicked him several times until the guard finally lost consciousness.

Gabrielle quickly slammed the heel of her hand up into Marcus' nose, kicked him in the knee and pile-drove him to the ground with all her weight. She then stood over him and waited.

“You okay?” Virgil was doubled over and out of breath from his exurtions.

“Fine,” Gabrielle grabbed the key from Aurelius' belt and unlocked a side door. “Come on, Virgil. We're wasting time.”

“Gotta stop underestimating her,” he muttered as he straightened.

He followed her inside after a quick glance back at the two unconscious guards.

***

“Clouds are moving in,” Eve stared off into the distance. “We could be in for a storm sometime this evening.”

Aryana sat on the deck at Eve's feet with her sword in her lap. She was leaning back against the railing and watching the sailors clamor about in the rigging overhead.

“Great,” Aryana sighed heavily.

Eve sat down next to her daughter and studied Aryana out of the corner of her eye. Aryana refused to look at her.

“I know this journey isn't starting out like you'd hoped, Aryana,” Eve began. “But…”

“Just save your breath,” Aryana interrupted as she set her forehead against her upraised knees. “I really don't need a lecture on how the world works.” She shot a covert glance at Eve. “I'm all grown up…” She sighed. “I really don't know what to call you, either. Mother just seems so…” She finished with a shrug as she tilted her head up to watch the sails overhead.

“Just call me Eve, then,” Eve smiled wanly. “I understand how hard this is for you, Aryana. Really I do.”

Aryana watched a seagull soaring high above until it landed on the cross-mast just above them. “I wonder if Virgil found Gabrielle,” she said absently, as she watched the bird watch her.

“I'm sure they'll run into each other, eventually,” Eve said. “So…”

Aryana glanced over when the silence stretched between them for a time. “So, what?”

“Tell me something about your childhood,” Eve brought her knees up and wrapped her arms around them. “I wish I could have been there to see you grow up.” She glanced over again. “You're such a lovely woman. You must have been a beautiful child.”

Aryana blushed and then shrugged. “I suppose so. Never really gave it much thought. I was too busy showing up all the boys with my fighting skills.”

“And who taught you how to fight?”

“I picked up a few moves here and there, before I started my official training,” Aryana shrugged again. “I used to sneak over to the field where the queen's army practices. I watched the men spar. Sat there for candlemarks at a time and then mimicked what they did. Once I mastered the skills on my own, I tried them out on the boys. We even made our own practice swords. Used timber from the ruins of an old barn that fell during a storm. I hid mine in the rafters of our barn and practiced whenever I could.” She pulled her sword from the scabbard at her hip and carefully stroked the shiny blade. “I got this when I completed my training and was assigned to the queen's guard.” She carefully resheathed the sword. “Queen Shari presented it to me herself.”

“I remember the first time I picked up a practice sword,” Eve mused. “I used the hilt to clobber one of the servant boys who was teasing a smaller child. Octavius was livid. He assigned one of his best warriors to tutor me after that. Said if I was going to use a sword I should use it properly.” She chuckled. “I was five. My tutor was a seasoned member of the First Legion. He'd seen more battles and killed more enemy soldiers than any other member of Caesar's elite centurions. Needless to say, he wasn't happy to be sidled with a scrawny girl who wasn't even Roman.”

“So? What happened?”

“He taught me everything he knew,” Eve shrugged. “Helped me channel my anger into more productive pursuits.” She paused to smile wisfully. “I was a fast learner and took to the sword like a fish to water. Rufus wasn't the only one I impressed. Most of the centurions from the First took me in as their honorary mascot until I came of age. Word soon spread and eventually reached the ears of my benefactor. By then, Octavius was well on his way to becoming emperor. He already had the majority of the senate on his side. All he needed was a strong commander to keep the populace in check and expand the empire.”

Aryana shot her a raised-browed look. “You?”

Eve nodded. “Me.”

“But…”

“I'm a woman?” Eve chuckled mirthlessly. “Rufus said the same thing, at first. By that time I had already surpassed him in both skills and strategy. He was deemed a relic and given a pension and a parcel of land in the countryside. He was none too happy to step down, but did so with little fuss or argument. I more than earned my commission when I took the First to Gaul and wiped out over half their army. Caesar Augustus was so impressed that he proclaimed a national celebration upon our return. The festivities lasted for a fortnight and drained the treasury to the point that the senate wanted my head on a platter. So, Augustus sent me out on campaign again. I took the First to Spain and returned to Rome with more gold and treasure than anyone in the senate could have imagined. They had to empty several rooms in the palace just to accommodate it all.”

“Must have made you feel pretty important.”

“That's the thing,” Eve shrugged. “I didn't feel anything. Well, not exactly. I was so consumed with rage that I didn't care about anything or anyone. I certainly didn't care about the politics behind my campaigns. The members of the senate were all a bunch of pompous asses, as far as I was concerned. I requested to be sent on another campaign shortly after my return. That's when I went north and ended up in Arandahl. Augustus was curious about the northern trade routes and asked me to map them for him.”

“Were you already pregnant....” Aryana glanced at Eve.

“I was,” Eve continued. “I managed to hide my condition from the men. I had no intention of staying in Arendahl for long, but…” She shook her head and glanced sidelong at her daughter. “Like mother like daughter.”

Aryana frowned. “I don't understand.”

Eve smiled. “Xena had a son many years ago. His name was Solon. She was on campaign while pregnant with him. Gabrielle once told me that Xena gave birth to Solon in the midst of a battle with the centaurs, her mortal enemies at the time. She actually gave him up to the leader of the centaurs and asked the centaur to raise her son. She was afraid that her enemies would use the boy against her if they ever found out he existed.”

“You have a brother?”

Eve shook her head and smiled sadly. “He died long before I was born. As it turns out, Xena's fears were well founded. Another mortal enemy of hers killed him.”

“Oh.”

Eve chuckled. “If you think the story of my conception is unbelievable, then you should ask Gabrielle to tell you all about Solon. He was something. He even had enough influence in the underworld to help Xena and Gabrielle turn their relationship around when things got really ugly after Solon died. Mother blamed Gabrielle for his death, and Gabrielle blamed herself for allowing it to happen. It wasn't a good time for either of them.” She glanced over to find Aryana gazing at her in open disbelief. “Again, it happened long before I was born.”

“Apparently a lot happened before you were born,” Aryana said. “I guess I shouldn't feel too bad about finding out that I have this whole other family. There's so much weird involved with all of you that maybe I should just be grateful that I'm even here at all. And that I'm relatively normal.”

Eve laughed outright. “Oh, I wouldn't be so sure about the normal bit. From what little Gabrielle has said, you're an exceptional warrior. You're well on your way to living an adventurous life, just like the rest of us.”

“Oh, goody,” Aryana rolled her eyes and looked up.

The seagull gave off a loud cry, spread its wings and took off into the cloudless blue sky. It dove straight down toward the deck, flew very close to the two women, then soared off over the water and disappeared from sight.

“So weird,” Aryana commented with a shake of her head.

***

“She's gone too far.”

“I know.”

“Something needs to be done. This cannot be allowed to continue.”

“My hands are tied.”

“You know very well that's not true, Michael.” The shorter archangel glared suspiciously at Michael. “You're up to something.”

Michael crossed his muscular arms over his chest as he stared into the swirling mist at his feet. “I am merely carrying out orders, Lucius.”

The dark-haired Lucius snorted derisively. “Right. And everything we do is merely black and white. There are no shades of gray in this war between the powers of good and evil.”

Michael's gaze snapped to Lucius' before returning to the gray mist. “Watch your tongue, my friend. Or you will find yourself fighting on the front lines.”

Lucius chuckled. “You need my cunning and ingenuity too much to send me to the front. We both know that would be a complete waste of my talents. Much as sending this once-mortal warrior on to paradise would be a waste of hers. Why don't you just admit that she holds a certain fascination for you?”

A small smile touched Michael's lips. “She does. In more ways than one.”

Lucius moved to stand next to Michael and stared into the gray mist. “How is it that she is able…”

Michael turned a pointed glare on Lucius that stopped him cold.

“The why or how is not important, my friend,” Michael said in a hushed tone. “What matters is the result. That's all I care about. She found a way the last time. She will do so again.”

“But I thought you…”

Michael shook his head and returned his attention to the swirling gray mist. “It wasn't me.”

Lucius glanced up. “Him?”

“No,” Michael shook his head. “Although I cannot completely rule out the possibility that he helped in some way.”

“You don't think it was all Eli, do you?”

Michael shrugged. “There is far more involved here than any one of us can completely comprehend. After all, the bond that she shares with her soul's mate is something the likes of which has never existed before. Maybe that has more to do with what happened than anything else. Even I have no ready explanation for what happened.”

“And you had nothing to do with it,” there was more than a little disbelief in the words.

Michael frowned, but refused to look at his fellow archangel. “Contrary to popular belief, Lucius, my machinations are not as far-reaching as you might think. I am bound by the same strictures that the rest of you are.”

“You lead us against the powers of the Dark One and his minions, Michael,” Lucius argued. “You can't tell me that you haven't manipulated situations just a bit in order to turn the odds in our favor. We both know this war is not always so cut and dried. There is much at stake here. Even the Savior knows and understands that we cannot hope to turn the tide in our favor by using love and forgiveness alone. That is not the way the world of mortals works.”

“The mortal realm is not our concern, Lucius,” Michael stated flatly.

“No, but the immortal souls of all those who would follow the Savior do concern us, Michael,” Lucius countered. “You know this to be true. If one mere mortal is able to bend or even break the rules of our realm and move amongst us with such ease, then what's to stop others from doing the same? If she returns to the world of the living, then what's to stop her from sharing her secret with others? We must put a stop to this, once and for all.”

“She has no idea how she accomplished the feat in the first place,” Michael said. “Even if she were able to repeat her actions, there is no way she could ever completely understand the why of it and explain it to others.”

“But the ramifications…”

“Are besides the point,” Michael interrupted. “We have work to do, Lucius. We can't be bothered with trivialities, such as one mere mortal roaming free amongst us.”

“She is no mere mortal, Michael, and you well know it.”

Michael smiled a knowing smile. “Oh, I know. Believe me. I know.”

“Then…”

“This discussion is over,” Michael unfurled his wings, waved a hand and the gray mist swirled up and evaporated instantly. “We have work to do. Whatever choice Xena makes is her own. She will suffer the consequences of her actions. When all is said and done, the only thing that truly separates mortals from the rest of us is their free will. They choose their destinies. Xena will make her choice. There is nothing any of us can do to stop her.”

***

“I'm not really comfortable with this.”

“Then go back. You're not obligated to be here, Virgil. I never asked you to come.”

“I'm not leaving you to do this alone, Gabrielle.”

She rolled her eyes at him. “I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself. You should know that, by now.”

“I do,” he ignored her indignation, as they crouched behind a barrel near the entrance to the barracks. “Whoa. It looks like there's a whole legion of Romans here.”

“Less than half,” Gabrielle corrected wryly. “The rest are spread throughout the city. The Romans like to mix with the populace and pretend they are actually part of the citizenry.” She shuddered. “They marry daughters of prominent figures and intermingle with the culture and politics of the place. Makes it harder for people to object to decisions made in the name of Rome. Gives everyone a false sense of security. Until their leader starts enforcing Roman law and executing innocent people.”

“I'm glad I have a son, then,” Virgil said.

“Don't be. He'll be of age to carry a sword one day,” Gabrielle added. “From what I've been hearing, they are already conscripting in the outlying areas and sending men overseas. They'll start doing the same with the young men in the cities, next.”

Virgil frowned. “Really?”

Gabrielle nodded dourly. “It won't be long before a contingent arrives to round up all the boys in the city and send them out to the countryside for training.”

“Then I'm glad Gabe isn't here,” Virgil frowned. “Amaleus will make sure he's safe.”

Gabrielle looked skeptical. “I hope you're right, Virgil. But I wouldn't count on it. These guys don't mess around. You of all people should know that. Look what happened to your father.”

Virgil ground his teeth as those painful memories of Joxer's last moments surfaced. “Ruthless bastards.”

“Right now, I just want to get my weapons back and catch up with Eve and Aryana,” Gabrielle said. “So try to stay focused on the task at hand, will ya?”

“Fine,” Virgil shifted positions slightly. “What's the plan?”

“We need a distraction,” Gabrielle glanced around. She noticed a pile of neatly stacked crates nearby. “You didn't happen to bring a flint and striker with you, did you?”

He cocked his head and gave her a look. “Even if I did, I don't think they would work. I'm still wet from my little swim.” He glanced around. “But maybe…” He moved away before he finished what he was saying.

Gabrielle waited patiently for him to return. When he did, he handed over the requested items.

“Where did you…”

“Our friends at the gate,” Virgil answered before she could say more. “And you might want to hurry up. I don't know how much longer before someone comes through there and notices those guys aren't at their posts.”

“Right,” Gabrielle slipped off toward the crates, staying hidden from view as much as possible.

Virgil rolled his eyes. “She's gonna get us both killed at this rate.” He then followed.

***

“FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!”

Panicked soldiers in all states of dress and undress ran in every direction. A few had the presence to grab buckets and try to douse the flames that were quickly spreading. Others simply ran for the gates.

The main barracks was completely engulfed in flames that shot high into the air. The flaming thatching from the roof caught in the breeze and embers from the fire quickly floated away to land elsewhere. A pile of dry straw near one building caught fire and was engulfed in seconds. The fire spread to a nearby shed and then threatened a corral where over a dozen horses were penned. The horses were trying desperately to kick their way free.

“Quickly, men! I need water over here, now!”

Gabrielle was crouched behind a low wall just across from the barracks. Flames shot up into the air and thick smoked billowed out of blackened windows. Most of the men were still running around in panic mode. A few heeded the shouts of the man standing a few feet away from her. Gabrielle's focus was on that man.

Maximus.

She recognized him the instant he emerged from the barracks in his shiny armor and blue undertunic. His head was bare and so were his feet. But she knew it was the same man by his bearing. Xena's chakram was hooked to his belt at the opposite hip from his Roman sword. Gabrielle didn't know where her other weapons were. She intended to find out.

“What are you…”

A hand over his mouth instantly stopped Virgil's next words. Gabrielle glared at him and then slowly removed her hand with a meaningful stare. She pressed a finger to her lips and then pointed at Maximus, whose back was to them as he watched several men throw buckets of water onto the barracks.

“Oh, sorry,” Virgil whispered.

Gabrielle waited.

“Come on, men! Put your backs into it! We need more water! The fire's spreading!” Maximus grabbed the arm of a fleeing soldier and shoved a bucket into his arms. “Get this fire under control before it spreads outside these walls, and we have a bigger problem on our hands!”

“There's no more water!” Someone shouted.

Someone farther away raised another alarm and shouted that the fire was spreading outside the walls of the garrison. There were more shouts and screams. Chaos. Flames shot up outside the walls. More screams.

Gabrielle glanced at Virgil with a brow raised.

“It's not heading toward the inn,” he whispered and then he pointed in the opposite direction. “The inn is over there.”

Gabrielle's shoulders slumped slightly in relief. Her attention immediately returned to Maximus, who had moved to stand right in front of where she was crouched. His back was to her. No one else was paying attention to him.

Gabrielle saw her chance and decided to make her move. With only her eyes, she signaled to Virgil what she intended. He frowned in confusion at first, but then realized what she wanted him to do. He nodded.

They moved in unison. Grabbed Maximus and pulled him down behind the half-wall. He landed hard, the wind knocked out of him. Gabrielle pounced. She yanked the chakram from his belt and held it in front of his face.

“What did you do with the rest of my weapons? Where are they?” Sudden rage dripped from every word.

“Wha—?” Eyes wide in surprise, Maximus glanced from her to Virgil. “What's the meaning…”

Gabrielle got right into his face. “Where's my stuff?”

Virgil glanced around. “You better talk, buddy. She's really not in a good mood.”

“Who—?”

“Not important, Roman. I want my stuff. Now, talk!” She yanked on his chest armor and held the chakram just below his chin. “I don't have time for games, Maximus.” His eyes widened again at the use of his name. “Tell me where my stuff is. You took it from me when you threw me into the stockade with my friends. I want it back.”

His eyes narrowed. “You. I knew you were trouble…”

She nicked his chin with the sharp edge of the chakram. “Not what I want to hear.”

Rage flared in his dark eyes, but he kept his temper in check as he breathed in and out through his nose. “You won't get away with this. I will hunt you down and kill you myself. No one makes a fool out of…”

“Yeah, yeah,” she pressed the chakram harder into his flesh. “Get in line.”

“You're a murderer. Those men…”

“I'm a warrior,” she countered with a sneer. “Big difference. And those men were scum. They tried to rape a kitchen maid. I couldn't let them get away with that.”

He glanced at Virgil. “And you? What part did you play in the murders?”

“I'm an innkeeper,” Virgil shrugged. “She took care of those guys before they could hurt one of my kitchen maids.” He then smiled at Gabrielle. “And she's a friend. A good friend.”

Maximus swallowed gingerly as the chakram dug into his skin. “You'll both be tried as murderers. You won't get away with this.”

“Oh, for the love of…” Gabrielle rolled her eyes. “Just tell me where my stuff is and you'll never have to see me again. I'm leaving the city and probably won't be returning anytime soon. Just do us all a favor and tell me where my stuff is. I'll grab it and go.”

A loud commotion nearby suddenly drew their attention. There were shouts and several men ran past. Gabrielle didn't take her eyes off Maximus, who was glaring daggers at her.

“You started the fire?” It wasn't really a question as much as an accusation.

“Didn't know it would get out of control so quickly. You guys really shouldn't leave so much dry stuff just lying around like that. Lesson learned, I guess.”

He flinched, like he was about to attack. But Gabrielle held firm and pressed the chakram until she drew blood.

“Don't make me kill you, Maximus,” she hissed into his face. “We both know I'm more than capable.”

His nostrils flared as he glared at her for several heartbeats. Then he closed his eyes and sighed in resignation. “In the stables. The sword, daggers and satchel are hanging in the tack room. I didn't have time to moved them after my return from the stockade.”

Gabrielle hopped free from him and hooked the chakram to her own belt as she stood. “Come on, Virgil. Let's go.”

She didn't wait for him and just took off toward the stables. Virgil glanced down at the still-prone Roman.

“Stay,” he said with a wry smirk. “Just, um, stay put. Don't do anything stupid. Okay?”

Maximus sat up and reached for his sword. It wasn't there. “Wha—?” He groped around for a weapon that was no longer there.

Virgil's smile turned genuine. “Told you.” And then he raced off to join Gabrielle.

A haze of thick, black and gray smoke hung over the entire garrison. The heat from the fires was stifling and intense. A line of men with buckets were trying desperately to douse the flames in the barracks. They weren't very successful. The building itself was completely engulfed. As Gabrielle raced past, the roof collapsed and flames shot from every opening.

“Get back!”

“Run!”

The line suddenly dispersed and men ran every which way. Gabrielle pushed and shoved her way through the throng. She didn't look back, but knew Virgil was right behind her.

“This is crazy!” Virgil shouted to be heard above the noise. “We should get out of here! You have the chakram, Gabrielle! Just leave the rest of it. It's not worth it.”

“I'm not leaving without the rest of it, Virgil! Now, hurry up!” Gabrielle doggedly continued on towards the stables.

She reached the corral gate and stopped. The horses were in a very real panic. Some were actually chewing on the fence, while others were slamming their bodies against the barrier in an effort to knock it over. They wanted out.

“Help me open the gate, Virgil!” Gabrielle moved to the latch. Several horses were leaning against the fence, frantically kicking the gate and whinnying loudly.

“You have got to be kidding!” Virgil jumped in next to her as she tried to pry the latch loose. “What are we doing, now?”

“Burning the garrison is one thing. Killing horses is another,” Gabrielle explained as she continued to try to get the gate open.

Thick smoke suddenly billowed around them as the breeze shifted directions. The horses sensed the shift and panicked further. A stray hoof shot out and glanced off Virgil's calf. He went down hard.

“Virgil!”

“I'm…” He grabbed his leg and grimaced. “Ugh! By the gods, that really hurt!” He rolled away from the pen so he wouldn't get kicked in the head.

“I've almost got it,” Gabrielle kept at the latch, until… “There!”

The gate swung open and nearly took her out, too. She just managed to get out of the way as the horses all suddenly bolted for freedom. And they headed straight for the soldiers who were trying to put out the fire in the barracks. Men screamed. Horses screamed. Chaos ensued.

“Can you walk?” Gabrielle grabbed Virgil's arm and helped him to his feet.

“I think so,” he leaned heavily against her with an arm around her shoulders for support and limped. “Didn't see that coming. Surprised me more than anything.” He straightened and put his full weight on his leg and only limped slightly. “I'm okay.”

“Let's go, then. Stables are right there.” She opened a side door and peered inside. “Looks deserted,” she said as she stepped inside with Virgil close on her heels.

“Good thing you didn't send one of those torches of yours in here,” Virgil commented as he looked around. “It would be nothing but ash, by now.”

There were several stalls along one wall, but no horses. Gabrielle checked each one, just to make sure. She then moved to a closed-off room at the far end. She opened the door and looked around. Spotting her things hanging exactly where Maximus had said they would be, she grabbed it all.

“Gabrielle! We have a problem!”

Virgil's shout caught her in the midst of strapping her katana on. She quickly threw the satchel strap over her head and one shoulder, shoved her sais into her boots and turned…only to find Maximus and several centurions there with swords drawn.

“Hello, again,” Maximus smirked. “We meet again.” Gabrielle stared at him without saying a word. “Drop your weapons and surrender.”

Anger. Rage. Her hand went to the chakram and she suddenly felt the dragon awaken. Her tattoo came alive with such intensity that she wasn't prepared for what happened next.

The chakram was in her hand and swinging wildly before she even knew what she was doing. The rage was blinding. Red pulses clouded her vision. Her arm swung a wide arc of its own volition, and she was powerless to stop it. The chakram headed straight for its target. Maximus threw his hands up to ward off the attack. His sword caught the edge of the chakram and deflected it out of pure, dumb luck.

But there was no stopping the monster within. It was free and needed to feed, bathe in blood, feel the hot and sticky spray of it.

“GABRIELLE!”

That voice. It would have stopped her dead if she had been fully aware. But she wasn't. The monster was in control.

“Xena?”

In her mind. That part of her mind that the monster couldn't control. That deep, deep part that was still her. She needed to connect. To focus. It was nearly impossible. Red. Blinding rage. Fury.

Her arm shot out again. The monster needed blood. Craved it. The craving was animal. Her arm shot out on instinct. The chakram was in control. The monster was furious. No blood.

“GABRIELLE, NO!”

She shook her head in an attempt to clear it. Still red. Still craving. Control. Need…control. Focus.

“Xena, I can't…”

“You have to stop, sweetheart! Stop! NOW!”

She shut her eyes tight. The monster roared its fury. She concentrated. Focused her mind. Love. She focused on her love for Xena. She put every ounce of her being into it. Felt warmth wash over her. Peace. Light. Love. The rage waned. The fury died. But a small spark remained. More love. Memories of the good times they shared. Love. Moments of tenderness. Love.

“Empty your mind, Gabrielle.”

“Fill it with love.”

Eli's words spoken in Xena's voice. She responded. The monster growled, wimpered, whined like a lost puppy.

She opened her eyes and the world was clear again. The stables were full of men with swords. All of them standing before her, staring in shock. She saw Virgil among them. Both his arms were held by the centurions on either side of him. His eyes were wide in shock, much like the others. It was a timeless moment.

She looked down to find Maximus on the ground at her feet. Dead. His eyes wide in shock. A gaping red gash across his throat. Blood had poured out of his mouth and drained from the gash onto the ground. A dark-red puddle spread beneath his head and neck.

She didn't have time to study him, take in what she'd done. He was dead. That's all that mattered. Dead by her hand. She raised the bloody chakram for a moment. But the moment passed quickly.

And then the world exploded around her. The men all moved toward her at once. Their intent was clear. They wanted revenge. Wanted her blood. But the fire had reached the stables and the roof collapsed onto several of the men. Screams pierced the air. Smoke billowed. Fire raged. Chaos ensued.

Gabrielle dove out of the way of the falling debris. Somehow—she had no idea how—Virgil ended up next to her. They stayed down.

“We have to get out of here, Virgil!”

He nodded mutely, obviously still in shock over what she'd done. The smoke was so thick it was impossible to see or even breathe.

Gabrielle crawled in the general direction of the door. As she passed Maximus' body, she glanced into his eyes and felt a pang of guilt.

“I can't believe you did that,” Virgil said as he crawled next to her.

Gabrielle pulled her gaze away from Maximus and focused on getting them out of there. She quickly tore off two long strips of cloth from Maximus' tunic and handed one to Virgil.

“Tie this around your nose and mouth!” She ordered.

She then stayed as low as possible in order to be able to see. The fire was spreading quickly. A flaming roof beam fell right in front of them. They barely avoided being crushed.

“We're trapped!” Virgil shouted through the cloth covering his face. “We'll never get out of here…”

Gabrielle grabbed a handful of his tunic and yanked him with her. She then managed to make it to an outside wall. Feeling her way along the wall, she blindly kept going while still holding Virgil's tunic in her other hand.

A centurion suddenly appeared out of the smoky haze and body-slammed her into the wall. She didn't see it coming. She got the wind knocked out of her, but Virgil was right there to punch the guy and send him flying back into the choking smoke.

“Gabrielle?”

“I'm okay.”

Virgil took the lead from there. He held her hand as they blindly maneuvered through the flaming debris until they finally reached the door. Once outside, they both doubled over, shoved the cloths off their faces and breathed deeply.

“There they are! Get them!”

More soldiers were suddenly headed right for them. Gabrielle turned and ran. Virgil did, too. The place was still swarming with Romans, but most were occupied with putting out the fires. They barely paid Gabrielle and Virgil any attention. Except when their pursuers shouted at them to catch the two before they could escape.

Gabrielle dodged several soldiers who dropped buckets and tried to grab her. Virgil did the same. The soldiers were unsuccessful. Gabrielle and Virgil managed to evade capture and kept running as fast as they could. Ducking between two buildings that were not yet affected by the fire, Gabrielle stopped dead.

Dead end. They were trapped. A wall taller than Virgil loomed in front of them and two buildings closed in on either side. There was no way out. And then the sounds of pursuit cut off their only avenue of escape.

***

Continued in Part 8

Author's Page

Return to the Academy