Pines Falls

The Fateful Truths

by

Kim Attridge

Kimbo3625@gmail.com

 

Chapter 1

That all too familiar piercing ring woke Katelyn from her blissful slumber. She smacked the singing alarm clock that presented five a.m. before stretching out and releasing a small pleasing groan. Gently she swung her legs over the side of her bed, making sure to not awaken the figure beside her. She rubbed her eyes before getting up for her usual routine of prepping the coffee, doing a rigorous thirty-minute work-out, followed by a long shower, only this time her morning routine wasn't quite as it usually was. Instead of going straight to the office, she instead was going to pick up her father Arthur Jensen from the airport at noon. It wasn't odd that her father was flying in for a visit, as a matter of fact her last two years in Boston her parents always made sure to come visit at least every six months, but this had been his second visit within the last three. Katelyn couldn't help the nervous twinge in her stomach that this visit might not be like the others. He seemed on edge when she had spoken to him last, although promising her everything was fine, she didn't buy it.

She shoved her dampened brown hair into a messy bun, and poured herself a cup of coffee, the delicate aroma filled her senses, instantly pushing a smile against her cheek. Finally, she took in that delightful first sip, God that first sip in the morning, heavenly. She grabbed the morning paper, slapping it onto the limestone counter, before pulling out the black stool wedged underneath the breakfast bar and took a seat. It felt weird not being in a rush to get out the door and off to work. Morning rush hour always drained her more than the usual fulfilling day of non-stop cases, interviews and court appointments. She loved being an attorney, but the city commute was never a fan favorite. The consistent honks as break lights blinded her, promptly brought out her funk. If she missed anything from East Pines, apart from her family of course, it was the serenity the city in the mountains offered. So tranquil, not to mention the fact that her commute to work consisted of stopping at the bakery then on to making a left, then a right and bam… There was her father's firm.

Her eyes studied the local newspaper, scanning the upcoming festivities that were in place for Saint Patrick's Day. Boy did Boston go crazy for this time of year, everything a perfect green… everywhere. She wasn't complaining though. The last two years running she had attended the parade with a few new friends and the green beer had always been a nice touch,

"Morning…how long have you been awake? You should have woken me," A groggy voice asked.

Katelyn stared up through the top of her thick black rimmed glasses, a small smile appearing as her eyes adjusted to a tall and tired looking Quinn Kenney,

"Good morning, you looked so peaceful, I thought I'd let you sleep in," she replied, giggling at the sight of the woman's disheveled short black hair. Promptly she got up to make Quinn a freshly brewed coffee admiring the glowing greens that smiled at her, then slightly she pushed up onto her tippy toes placing a soft kiss on the warm and lightly freckled cheek of the tall athletic woman.

Quinn pulled out a stool before playfully snatching the sports pages from between Katelyn's paper,

"I told you to wake me if you got up first. I want to at least get some alone time before daddy Jensen overstays his welcome."

Katelyn rolled her eyes toward Quinn's sarcasm,

"It's six in the morning, don't start this again," she countered sharply.

Quinn lowered her sports pages to reveal the smiling greens that caught Katelyn the very first time they met. She had barely been in her new firm three months before her first murder case hit her desk, and Quinn Kenney was the lead investigator. Granted Katelyn was defending the exact person Quinn was trying to get prosecuted, the two women still hit it off… She couldn't quite get over how quickly Quinn had peeked her interest. All she knew was her new acquaintance was a pleasant distraction from the turmoil of East Pines.

"I'm just saying, he knows about me, but you refuse to let me stay when he's here…hell you won't even kiss me in front of him. You're a thirty-one-year-old woman… I'm sure daddy knows his little angel isn't much of an angel anymore."

Katelyn took a long sip of coffee, holding a slightly heated stare,

"And I'm just saying, as long as this is a casual thing between us, I'm not going to involve my parents into any part of it."

"You're the one keeping this casual. It's been a year; you know what I want. We're all just waiting on good ole Kate to decide when she's going to admit she loves the bones of me and finally labels me as her girlfriend…Life partner…Lover…Love of her life," Quinn's broad smile increasing, "But I'm a patient person…I'll wait."

"Don't call me Kate…"

Katelyn's hidden smile pushed against the inside of her cheek, she hated that Quinn could madden her and within a split-second ease her and bring out her smile effortlessly. She wasn't oblivious to the fact that she was stalling when it came to officially label her interactions with Quinn as a relationship. Their group of friends already assumed so, having never invited one to a party or dinner and not the other. Their interactions were undoubtedly fun, and Quinn never pressured her about labelling them officially either, she would just make her comments but leave a trailing smile behind them. Although that didn't stop the small fights that came along when someone would approach her for a dance or offer to buy her a drink, and Quinn would be right there telling them to leave. Katelyn always made sure to correct her and remind the overprotective woman that she was a free agent, but that didn't mean Quinn took it laying down. She was very much the jealous type and sure as shit wasn't afraid to let Katelyn know, a trait Katelyn found to be a little over the top at times but somewhat endearing.

 

 

Chapter 2

Katelyn stared at her watch nervously waiting for her father to walk through the arrival gates. She scanned the large screens, double checking his flight number. It had in fact landed, she sighed before sitting back down on the benches provided. She couldn't quite shake the churning in her stomach, questioning whether something was wrong with her mother and Arthur had to tell her face to face. Was the cancer back? She had been in remission for thirteen years… Katelyn finally looked up to meet her father's smiling eyes as he approached throwing his hand luggage over his shoulder.

She breathed a sigh of relief as he dropped his bag beside him and embraced her tightly,

"Hey dad," she whispered softly,

Arthur smiled against her, "Hello my darling."

Katelyn moved from his clutch before looking at his considerably small bag,

"Let's go get your luggage, shall we?"

Arthur shook his head, "This is all I brought, why don't we go somewhere to eat? I'm famished."

Katelyn scrunched her brows together, "You aren't staying for a few days?" She asked, as he took her under his arm to go back to her car.

"I'm afraid not, this is just a short one. I'm flying back home tonight; we can talk while we grab some lunch."

Katelyn drove them to her favorite Sushi restaurant; she took him there when he came to visit with Gwen in January. After giving her their raving reviews, she knew he'd love to go back. The ride there was unusual to say the least. He barely spoke a word as his eyes moved with the passing cars out the window. She nervously shuffled in her seat, her palms sweating, at that point she was almost positive something was going on with her mom. He was acting just as he did when they sat her and her siblings down to break the news of their mother having breast cancer. Her heart sank into an abyss at the mere thought of losing the one woman she held so close to her heart, who taught her everything… Guided her.

Katelyn grabbed their order, her eyes skimming past the faces to find her father's. She walked toward him as he sat at a table by the window talking on his phone. He looked up at her before swiftly ending the call and shoving his phone in the inside pocket of his topcoat,

"Everything okay?" She asked, in a doubtful tone while placing his food in front of him and taking a seat.

"Everything's fine, how are you doing?"

Katelyn watched him play with his salmon roll before finally popping it into his mouth,

"I'm good, I just won that case I was working on the last time you and mom were in town, I tore down every piece of evidence the prosecution had."

Arthur nodded with a pride like smile, "That's my girl."

Katelyn tilted her head, the small talk beginning to grind on her, "Okay, so what was it you flew all the way over here to talk to me about?"

He looked up at her briefly before grabbing his ice water, taking a small sip he cleared his throat. Katelyn swallowed hard as she observed the avoidance in his body language,

"How is Quinn?"

Katelyn couldn't prevent her perplexed expression, "She's fine… Dad, what's going on? Is mom sick again?"

Arthur reached across the table, his worn hands lightly grasping hers, "No, no. I promise your mother is fine. I…" Katelyn's tightened grip paused him,

"Has something happened to Nicole or Zack? Is it Uncle Mick? Please dad, you're killing me here. I know something is wrong."

Arthur shook his head. Slowly he sat back in his seat, throwing his napkin from his lap and onto his plate full of food,

"Katie… I need to ask you something. I don't want you to feel like you must do what I'm about to ask, you can tell me no," he paused, taking in a deep breath. "Your mother and I have done nothing but debate about this. So, please don't feel like you have to say yes, okay?"

Katelyn nodded slowly, "What is it?" The suspense killing her,

"How serious are you and Quinn?"

Katelyn shoved the inside of her cheek between her teeth, "What has she got to do with this?" she asked abruptly,

"A hell of a lot…" he assured,

"She plays a big part in my life here… Christ, what is it?"

Arthur once again cleared his throat, "Katie, I…I want to retire after the summer is through," he paused taking another sip of water, "I'm getting up there, your mother and I think it's time that we slowed down and started enjoying the life we built."

Katelyn sat back in her chair releasing her grip from him. She felt sick to her stomach. She knew they were growing older of course, but her whole life he worked at his firm. In her eyes, he never aged. But now, as she sat back in her chair clasping a napkin tightly in her hand, his face seemed to age behind his groomed white beard right in front of her. She bit her lip as a small tear balanced against her lashes,

"I…I don't know what to say. You're supposed to be ageless…" She paused, smiling lightly as a tear escaped and slipped against her cheek. She wiped it away as Arthur gripped her hands once again, "What is it you want to ask me? If I think you should? Because I'm going to tell you no," she joked,

Arthur laughed lightly, "Katelyn, I want…you to come back and become senior partner…I won't bring you in as a managing partner, just yet but…Richard is up for promotion, and when he and I talked he insisted that I ask you to come back and be senior partner with him," he paused, clearing his throat, "Please don't think that just because you're my daughter it's giving you a free ride, you have worked at three firms now, including mine. You have yet to lose a case…you truly deserve this offer. I want…we want you to be part of our team again. Is there any chance of you considering it?"

Katelyn couldn't prevent her mouth falling open. Her stomach instantly flipped, turning upside down. She ran her fingers through her long brown hair, as her sudden racing heart brought her out in a sweat. She knew her father could see the panic in her face as he grasped her hands tighter, forcing her eyes to stay on him,

"I told you Katelyn, you don't have to say yes. You can take some time to think about it, I know this is a big decision for you."

She sat there saying nothing. What could she say? A minute ago, she was a Junior partner for a prestigious firm in Boston, and now she was on the brink of becoming a senior partner for the biggest firm between the cities of Cedar Valley, East, and West Pines, that partnered with the District Attorney's office, this wasn't just a small-town firm, this was… more than she could have ever dreamed of having. She clamped her eyes shut.

"If you decide that it's not something you want to do, I will still name Richard as a Senior Partner, and let him run the firm, but in a couple more years as long as he continues to do as good as he is…and you say no, I will give him the firm putting him as the new managing partner. So, know the firm will be taken care of. You of course were going to be the first on my list regardless who made partner, I still want you to eventually take my place and be managing partner, and you've proved yourself to be an outstanding attorney Katelyn, I never had any doubts."

Katelyn swallowed hard, "I…I don't know what to say, dad. I mean…I'm flattered…I…" she paused, moving her hands from his, "Am I a good candidate? I mean, senior partner…I'm not just working for the firm now…I'll have money in it," she explained unable to prevent the nervous laughter that pursued,

"Sweetheart, I understand all of that…but you will have a hell of a team behind you. I will still be managing partner, I'm just…cutting it back. I'll still be around to guide you if you need it. Richard will be there, and you know he will have your back on any and every decision you make. I truly believe you can do this. The only problem being…would you be willing to leave the life you have built here and come back to the one you had in the Pines? That's why I asked about Quinn…if it's as serious as I assume between you both, would she be willing to pack up and go with you?"

Katelyn dropped her head. She genuinely loved the new life she had built in Boston. Loved the people who had now become her friends. But East Pines had her heart, had her family, her memories, her childhood friends. Nonetheless, it still had the one thing that kept her happily staying in Boston. Then there was the question, would Quinn even be willing to leave her post as homicide detective in Boston, for her? How could she even ask that of her? Did she herself even want Quinn to leave everything to be there? She had already made that mistake once, granted Richard thrived, but what if Quinn didn't? She even struggled with the mere thought of labelling her interactions with Quinn as a relationship, Richard was her fiancé and it didn't work. Katelyn knew she couldn't let her past make her fearful of her future, but she also knew nothing was ever written in stone. Life always had a way of throwing something at her just when she would finally build the one, she desired, bam! Life would hit her with something to mess it up, or was it destiny?

"Katie, say something."

Katelyn looked up to the implored expression of her father,

"Sorry. It's just a lot to take in."

Arthur nodded, "I know sweetheart. I can give you as long as you need. I will respect whatever decision you make…on a lighter note, I have something for you," he reached into his inside pocket before resting a small white envelope face down, on the table. Katelyn stared down as her father slid it toward her, "Zack wanted me to give this to you, personally."

Katelyn stared down at the small pristine white envelope, slowly she turned it over. She bit her lip as butterflies erupted from her stomach and into her throat, another tear began balancing as she read the silver print, "Katie Jensen" in Calligraphy. She looked up at her father as a tearful smile masked his face. Slowly she opened it and slid out a small card, quickly placing her trembling hand over her mouth as her tears now fell freely. Arthur stood up and walked to her, holding her as she read the cream laced invitation,

"Katie,

Zack Jensen And Donna Wilson Would Love for You to Join Them on Their Wedding Day.

Save The Date, September twenty-eighth."

She dropped the card and dug her face into the side of her father as he held her tightly. She sat with her tear masked face burrowed into him. Her brother was getting married, and not to just anyone, to someone who Katelyn adored. Although thousands of miles from one another, her and Donna always exchanged text messages and phone calls. Regardless of the reasoning behind her exit from East Pines, their friendship never wavered. They never spoke about her leaving; they just spoke like two old friends catching one another up on the latest adventures of their lives.  The last thing Donna divulged to her was of her and Zack moving in together in the loft above the tattoo parlor, after it became vacant.

Katelyn looked up at her father, "I can't believe they're getting married. I just spoke to Donna and she didn't mention a damn thing."

Arthur kissed the top of her head before grabbing a chair and sliding it next to her, he sat.

"Zack begged her to keep it from you, so I could give you the invitation. He wanted to come himself but with the new parlor in West Pines, and the one in the East, and then the bar…they're stretched pretty thin."

Katelyn dropped her head, "How is Uncle Mick doing?"

Arthur cleared his throat. "They're talking about open heart surgery, right now it's up in the air. Zack and…Sam, they're doing their best. Your cousin Sophie is a quick learner, so that's helping with the bar aspect, and Donna is there always helping, of course.

Katelyn nodded. "It shouldn't be up in the air…he needs to listen to the damn doctors and do as he's told, for once. I'm sure mom is giving him hell to pay."

Arthur sniggered, "Absolutely."

Katelyn took in a deep breath. "Well, hopefully Zack's wedding will keep her mind from things. Oh my God, my little brother is getting married…"

"I know…the man he has turned into, I don't think I could have ever imagined it. He makes your mother and I more and more proud every single day."

Katelyn matched her father's warm smile,

"You did good, dad."

Arthur shook his head, "I'm not going to take credit for it. We all know who made him into the man he is today," he insisted,

Katelyn dropped her head refusing to meet his stare. He hooked his finger under her chin, forcing her eyes to meet his,

"That is another thing you should consider if you do decide to take my offer. I know you don't want to talk about it, but…" Katelyn closed her eyes, pausing him, "Katelyn…"

"Does she know about this….me possibly coming back?"

Arthur shook his head, "No. Not even your brother knows. Only your sister and Billy. We decided to keep it from Zack, you know how he gets when it comes to you, he'll just get over excited," he paused smiling, "Your sister, well she wanted to come with me, pack you up and get started on my retirement early."

Katelyn laughed lightly, dropping her stare to the floor,

"I do miss them terribly."

"We all miss you."

Katelyn threw her head up, widening her eyes, praying her mascara hadn't turned her smoke eyeshadow into panda eyes,

"Dad, I love it here. I love all the new people I've met…they helped me get out of the hell I was in. Not that East Pines was total hell…" She paused as a sympathetic smile moved across his face, but under that smile she couldn't ignore the hurt that entered his eyes, knowing he was reminded of the hurt he felt the day she left, again.

Hell on Earth for Katelyn was her last night with them, at The Wallace. His sorrowful stare reminding her of the night they planned a small good-bye dinner, which consisted of her parents, brother, sister, Jordan, Billy, and eventually Donna… Alone. The table entailed small speeches of many unsaid words, tears and then the silence. The empty chairs next to Donna stole the show, every one of them stared, silently hurt that Sami didn't come to the dinner, and for Tara point blank refusing to answer calls. Katelyn knew her father and mother begged them to come, but she wasn't surprised at the no-show, a part of her almost thanking it.

"Why don't you come and visit for a few weeks? Now that you're over your fear of flying, you won't have to endure a long haul of a drive. Give your brother and Donna your RSVP personally," he smiled, "Your brother and sister would love that, not to mention your mother. Come home, visit your Uncle Mick, collect your thoughts," he paused his hopeful pitch to clear his throat, "I want you to make your decision with a clear mind on how life could be in the Pines not how it was before you left. Weigh the pros and cons…if at the end of the visit you tell me coming back is not something you can do or want to, then I can wholeheartedly accept that decision," he explained, holding her stare.

Katelyn bit the inside of her cheek, contemplating. She had been debating on taking a vacation once the case she just won was over. Maybe not home but her father's pleaded stare pulled on a heartstring to say the least. As she sat there considering her father's plea, she couldn't quite kick the nauseating feeling of having to face the one person she had finally stopped running from for so long. She hadn't thought about her for quite some time, she wouldn't slip into a thought, or be the first thought of the day as soon as her eyes opened. But she struggled to ignore the possibility that as soon as her eyes would set on the woman again, she would lose all the strength she'd built and fall to pieces. Katelyn wasn't much of a superhero fanatic, but she was pretty sure Sami Wilson was her Kryptonite.

"Tell me what you're thinking about, Katie."

Katelyn swallowed hard, unable to hold in her fears, as she clenched her father's hands in her own,

"I think you and I both know the answer to that…"

Arthur clenched his jaw, resting an understanding smile against it,

"I won't lie…your mother and I talked about that too. You have both grown so much since…that all happened. But facing her is something you are going to have to do if you're serious about considering my offer. I wish I could tell you both that you won't have to endure being in the same room but, our families are very close now, and with the wedding…I can't see it changing." He paused sipping his water. "I don't want to divulge into what she's doing with her life, but I think you're letting your fear of her from two years ago continue to drive it into today. A lot has changed."

Katelyn took in a deep breath, "I think you might be right. It's been two years and a lot has changed, I know I have," she replied, appreciating her father's now pride-like smile,

"That's my girl. You can bring Quinn too, she might as well get a little insight into what life might be like, and if she's worried about leaving her detective post, I know I can pull a few strings and get her in the Jackson precinct, whatever she needs…." He insisted,

She shook her head, "I think I'll come alone."

His concerning expression amusing her slightly, but she waved him away,

"We haven't made anything official between us…well I haven't. If I decide that East Pines is where I'll want to be, I'll discuss it with her, then discuss what it means for us. I refuse to ask her to come live there with me when we, ourselves aren't technically even in a relationship."

"Wait, I thought you and Quinn had been a couple for quite some time…"

"Not officially…" she trailed, cringing slightly at her father's old-fashioned thinking,

"…I don't understand, but I'm thinking I don't want to either."

Katelyn laughed lightly, patting her father's cheek, appreciating his old natured innocence.

 

Chapter 3

Katelyn leaned her back against the kitchen counter, nestling her coffee cup against her as she watched Quinn reading her usual sports pages and eating her cereal. Katelyn hid her subtle yawn, the evidence of getting only two hours of sleep. They had been up all-night fighting or debating? She wasn't sure. After her father left, she waited a few days, well the night before her departure to break the news that she was going home for a few weeks for a much-needed visit with her family, purposely leaving out the part about being offered Senior partner at her father's firm and Zack's engagement, for another time. She knew Quinn would want to join her, but Katelyn wanted this visit to be only her. Feel it out with no distractions. She wasn't surprised to Quinn's discrepancies about her going back. It had nothing to do with visiting her family, it had all to do with being in the same state, never mind the same town as Sami Wilson. Katelyn never hid the fact of Sami to her, she told her everything, and Quinn supported her through her heartache, without hesitation. As time passed Katelyn had begun to see the light at the end of the tunnel with Quinn standing there waiting. She would always be thankful to her for helping her through, probably the toughest time of her life, the woman did more than help her get over Sami Wilson, she showed her, her worth.

Sighing lightly before turning and emptying the remains of her coffee into the sink, her flight was leaving in a few hours and she had yet to pack,

"I'm going to go pack, are you sure you're okay to take me? I can call a cab, I don't mind," she asked softly,

Quinn turned to her, "I'm not going to have you pay for a cab when I can take you."

Katelyn cushioned a small sympathetic smile against her cheek. She knew Quinn was hurting and she hated to see it. Deciding to say nothing and went on to pack. She smiled, as a small excitement moved through her at the thought of finally being with her entire family. She missed them dearly, especially their hugs and laughter. Right then she told herself a few weeks with them wouldn't turn into months, after all she had told Henry Arnold her boss at Arnold & Bayer she would be back before Easter. Spending the Saint Patrick's Day holiday with her family and friends should be enough to soothe their complaints of never having her for holidays.

"It's March why on earth would you be packing a two piece?"

Katelyn turned quickly to Quinn leaning against the door frame of her bedroom,

"Honey, my parents have an indoor pool it's either this, or naked?"

She watched Quinn struggle to hide a grin while pushing off her lean,

"Ah yes, that's right. I forgot, sorry."

Katelyn nodded before turning back and throwing the two-piece in her suitcase. She knew East Pines wouldn't be the warmest this time of year. Winter always seemed endless there, but very beautiful, nonetheless.

"I still think this is a bad idea…" stated Quinn, interrupting her train of thought,

She sighed, "We've been through this Quinn, I want to go see them. What's so bad about that?"

Quinn walked toward her, moving the suitcase aside to take a seat on the bed,

"You should let me come with you," she insisted.

Katelyn laughed lightly, "I'm a big girl, and its East Pines for crying out loud. It's nothing like downtown."

"Katie, I don't trust her with you. I don't feel comfortable...with any of it,"

Katelyn swallowed hard, "I wish I could settle you when it comes to her. If there is one positive thing that I can tell you about Sam, it's that she would never throw herself at me. I know our past isn't pretty and neither is her reputation, but…she is my past and she always will be. Sam is a family friend, my brother's best friend and that's it."

She watched Quinn's stare become punctured in an instant,

"I really can't convince you to have me come with you?"

Katelyn cupped her hands around the soft jaw, forcing the emerald greens to meet her browns, a small smile creeping,

"No, but you can always make my heart smile."

Quinn's smile matched her own, before snatching her and forcing Katelyn to straddle her,

"Promise after all of this, you will come home and start thinking about making whatever this is between us official, I want us to move in together…I want us to be…officially us."

"Where did that come from?"

Quinn snickered, "With this time away I want you to really think about how much I mean to you and where this is going. You know where I stand, and with you leaving like this, out of nowhere, I'm done waiting…I'm ready to either be a part of your life completely…or not at all."

Katelyn ran her fingers through her hair. Quinn had never pressured her like this, but maybe it was the perfect time to think about where they were going, especially now with her father's offer.

She sighed, if anything, maybe Quinn did have a right to know. Katelyn knew whatever she chose it would affect Quinn's future too, and with that she cleared the sudden tightness from her throat,

"Okay…then I need to talk to you about something, I didn't want to bring it up until I got back and made my decision, but I guess if I have stuff to figure out…you do too," she finished quietly.

Quinn leaned back, Katelyn watched the suspicion move over the tanned face,

"What're you talking about?"

She swallowed hard, "When my father came to visit…it wasn't to just say hi."

"I figured as much."

Katelyn shoved her cheek between her teeth as Quinn's wary tone struck her,

"I'm just going to come out and say it…He…" she paused to Quinn's arched brow, "He's retiring after the summer,"

"Is he okay?"

Katelyn nodded, "Yes, he…"

"Is your mom okay?"

Again, she nodded, appreciating the worried nature from her.

She took in a deep breath, exhaling heavily,

"Quinn, he wants me to move back and become Senior partner for the firm…." She finished in a whisper.

She watched Quinn's stare weaken as if the wind had been knocked clean out of her. She pushed Katelyn off her before getting up and pressing her fingers through her short cut. Katelyn sat on the edge of the bed, her stomach flipping and turning upside down. She knew not to expect a good reaction but if she was going to consider making her arrangement official with Quinn, she needed to put it all on the table.

"I know it's a lot to take in. Trust me when he asked…"

Quinn spun in her heels, her face expressing an indignation like she had never witnessed from the woman she had shared and spent so much time with,

"Are you considering this?"

Katelyn stood up, "It's not off the table…that's another reason I'm going…"

Quinn threw her hands in the air, "What about us? Did you even think about that?"

"Of course, I did! What kind of question is that?" She snapped,

"You had me thinking that you were leaving to spend time with your family when in reality, it was to decide if you were going to up and leave everything…everything you've worked so fucking hard for, not to mention the fact that it means leaving me!"

"Quinn…This had nothing to do with leaving you. That couldn't be farther from the truth."

"Do I get any kind of say in this bullshit you're bringing to me?"

Katelyn moved toward the irate Quinn, grabbing the flying hands while forcing Quinn to look at her,

"I didn't even know how to process it; I couldn't have even fathomed you trying to. If we are as serious as you say you want us to be, I need to know that…if I consider this would you even be willing to stand next to me…in East Pines."

Quinn pulled from Katelyn's grip, shaking her head,

"Are you asking me would I leave everything and everyone I know to go with you?"

Katelyn dropped her stare, "It's a lot to ask, I know…Hell I'm not even sure if I could have you do all of that for me. I don't need an answer right now. This affects us both in a huge way…I just need to you to consider all of it, I need to consider all of it."

"And what if you decide that being with me is something you don't want?"

"Quinn…"

"No, let's be real here. You have yet to tell me you love me. You are the one struggling to even make us a thing. You're stalling, and you have been from day one, how can you expect me to think about gambling my entire life for someone who won't even make our…whatever this is, an actual relationship?"

Katelyn closed her eyes as the many truths hit her at once,

"Just because I don't do and say things how you want me to, doesn't mean you mean nothing to me, I don't want to lose you in my life…" she replied quietly.

Why was she stalling? Quinn held a deep place in her heart. Standing there she couldn't imagine not having her in her life. She made her feel safe, made her heart feel safe, not to mention the effortless happiness she felt in Quinn's presence.

"No, I know I mean something to you, but do I mean everything to you like you do for me? Tell me you love me, Katelyn."

Katelyn closed her eyes, before she realized she was stalling Quinn was already in the kitchen grabbing her coat. Katelyn followed quickly,

"Quinn, please. Don't leave it like this… I…I…" she stalled as Quinn walked to the door, turning to her,

"You better call a cab. Have a nice trip."

"Quinn I'm so fucking scared of losing you…and I can't lose you…" She finished her rushed sentence with a whisper.

Quinn gripped the edge of the door, before turning back to a panic-stricken Katelyn. "I've told you; you would never lose me I'd be a fool to let that happen."

Katelyn pressed her thumb and pointer finger against her temples. "Quinn, I do love you, like you said let's be real, my track record with love has never been a great one. I can wholeheartedly say I want my forever to be with you, it just scares me that I'll lose you like my past loves."

Quinn walked to her wrapping her strong arms around her waist, forcing Katelyn's eyes to rest on the serene greens. "Guess what? Mine hasn't either. But here we are…" Quinn pulled herself from Katelyn. "I think we both have a lot to think about. You'll come back in a few weeks and we'll see if our choices keep us together or don't. I know you hate it when I say this but…I guess if it's meant to be, it'll be."

Katelyn nodded lightly. "I do love you Quinn."

Quinn smiled softly, brushing a stray hair from Katelyn's face. "And I love you. Come on, let's get you packed and get you on your way."

Chapter 4

 "Well, well. Look who finally decided to show up…"

Katelyn laughed, falling into Nicole's embrace, and kissing Billy on the cheek, before patting his bald head.

"When did this happen?" Katelyn asked through her giggle.

Billy patted his own head. "As soon as your sister saw my greys coming through, she shaved it."

Katelyn let out a joyous laughter, "God, I missed you both so much," she stated as Billy took her bags.

Nicole linked her arm inside Katelyn's as they made their way to Billy's car. "Keep complaining honey, the next to go will be that beard." She paused winking to Katelyn, "It hasn't been the same without you. I'm glad you decided to come back, and before you say anything, I know it might not be permanent, but coming back to see if you could consider dad's offer…that means more than you know."

Katelyn scrunched her eyebrows together before tilting her confusion toward Billy, "Um…this can't be Nicole, she's never this understanding…"

Both laughed as Nicole pinched her lightly. She shrugged, "Dad made me promise to back off…so…. if he asks? I did. Now off the record, good luck trying to go back to Boston. I'm for sure not letting your ass leave me again."

"Ahh, there she is." Stated Katelyn scrunching her nose.

"How's Quinn? And how'd she take the news of you coming for a few weeks?"

"She's doing good. She wasn't too amused at that fact but, we both have a lot to think about while I'm gone, a lot is in the air with us right now."

Nicole narrowed her eyes, "In the air?"

Katelyn tilted her head to the side. "Well…if I choose to take dads offer, that changes things regarding us. Do I feel comfortable to ask another person to pack up everything and come to the Pines with me? Does she feel like it's something she wants to do? It's a big decision…for the both of us."

Nicole nodded, "I understand that. Well, not that you asked but, from what I know of her and after some of our phone conversations I have nothing against her, I think she'd fit right in…Jesus look at Richard."

Both giggled once again as Katelyn tucked a loose hair behind her ear. "It's just a lot to ask Nicole…and a lot to want. I don't want to put myself in the same predicament as last time…"

"Last time was different; Richard wasn't for you. He was who you knew dad wanted for you…hence why you fell in love with S…someone else. Whereas Quinn…you seem so much happier." Insisted Nicole, kissing her older sister on the cheek.

Katelyn smiled, scrunching her nose to Nicole's warming gesture, "God, I can't wait to get to mom and dads and just take a long soak in the bath and enjoy being on vacation."

"Well…about that…" Nicole trailed.

Katelyn sighed as Billy held the car door open for her, "What Nicole? For the love of God tell me there isn't an array of people at mom and dad's waiting to welcome me home."

Nicole got into the car, turning in her seat to look back at Katelyn. "Settle down your Majesty."

Katelyn giggled.

"Zack and Donna are there waiting, Richard couldn't make it, but he told me to tell you to call him, so you guys can have lunch. Your favorite wanted to be there, but she had to work…" Nicole paused.

"Nicole please don't, Sam is the last person I want to see…" Katelyn's face dropped, her complexion instantly turning pale.

Nicole rolled her eyes, "Not her…but thanks for letting us know she's still your favorite." Nicole winked.

Now Katelyn had the eye roll. "Then who?"

"Miss Jordan. She was all excited too."

Katelyn groaned.

"Don't worry, Katie. She's dating your cousin Sophie." Explained Billy as he drove them out of the airport parking lot.

"I'm sorry, what did you just say? Sophie's gay?"

Nicole giggled. "I guess she's bi."

"Does Uncle Mick know?"

"I guess so…he gave Sami the whole behave yourself speech when she arrived. Little did he know Jordan was on it, in seconds."

Katelyn shook her head. "To say I'm relieved would be an understatement. I haven't seen Sophie since we were Sophomores, is she still acting like a spoiled brat?"

"When she first stepped foot in East Pines, she did kind of. Started acting like she was going to take over the bar and look after Mick, and surprisingly Sami didn't attempt to put her in her place, Mom did. I think Sami is just all over the--"

"Nicole I'm sorry but can we not talk about what's going on with her. It's really none of my concern." Katelyn interrupted.

Nicole looked at Billy then back to Katelyn with an arched brow. "Sorry to break it to you sweetheart, but you should probably get used to it because, she's not going anywhere, and she's changed. A lot."

Katelyn narrowed her eyes before looking out the window. "Yeah, dad didn't hesitate to mention that either."

"Katelyn…please come back to us with a fresh approach, and willing to give Sami a chance…I'm not saying what she did wasn't fucked up but, like you've told us, you've moved on, if you don't give her a chance, you might as well go ahead and tell dad it'll be a no."

Katelyn rolled her head toward Nicole noticing her serious eyes. She softened her stare, "Sorry, you're right. On that note…has anybody talked to Tara? I would love to call her, but I honestly don't know what I would say, we haven't talk much after…everything."

Nicole sighed. "We talked briefly…but I didn't ask her to come. I think your guys first encounter shouldn't be in a room full of people."

Katelyn took in a deep breath. "Yeah…I can only hope she'll talk to me."

Nicole turned again, reaching for Katelyn's hand that rested on her thigh, squeezing it. "It's been a while, I'm sure you'll both work it out."

"Does…Sam know I'm here?"

Billy cleared his throat, Katelyn glanced to him noticing his nervous fidgeting fingers tapping the steering wheel. Nicole then cleared hers. "Well, no. Zack thought it would be best if we didn't mention it just yet. There's a lot going on right now."

Katelyn arched a brow. "Is there something else to that?"

Nicole shook her head. "No ma'am."

"Funny, because you all like to tell me how I need to deal with her being a part of everyone's life but seem to see fit to keep it from her that I'm here. Wanna give me the honest answer now?"

"Damn, we couldn't mistake you for anything other than an attorney, huh?" Asked Billy with a grin.

Katelyn smiled as Nicole shook her head. "We're just trying to figure out how we can get you both in the same room and pray it doesn't go south."

Katelyn couldn't help but release a laughter. "Nicole, I'm grown. I can say hello and carry on. That's all she needs to do too."

Nicole turned to her. "Katelyn…you didn't hear this from me, and you might not believe it, but when you left it took her a long ass time to get over it. She'll never admit it of course, but…life seems to be finally going good for you both, a part of us is…maybe…kinda nervous once you both see each other…it'll undo everything."

"I'm pretty sure I can speak for the both of us when I say, that'll never happen." Katelyn replied.

"The mess of it all prevented her and Zack from even being in the same room as each other. The parlor was a whole lot of fun, let me tell you. They finally started talking before Christmas, right after Mick started getting real sick." Explained Billy.

"Wait, they stopped talking after I left?"

Nicole nodded. "It got a little rough after you left."

"Why didn't anyone say anything to me? Donna and I kept in touch nearly every damn day."

"We didn't want to stress you with anything going on here. You were dealing with just as many demons on your own, but don't worry, it's handled."

Katelyn shook her head, rolling her head back to look out the window as raindrops began masking it. Why does everyone feel the need to protect me? I made the mess, I should've been told, I could've fixed it. She thought to herself.

When leaving the last thing she ever wanted to do was still come between the two best friends. She pleaded with Zack not to fight with Sami over it, insisting her exit wasn't entirely Sami's fault. She sighed, although agitated with her brother, she was relieved to know there would be no more drama with Sami. She knew the feelings she felt toward her hadn't helped their friendship before, but now, both were over it. Maybe if they buried the hatchet sooner rather than later, her decision making would be easier to come by, she needed to wholeheartedly consider all of it if she was to give coming home a real chance.

 

 

Chapter 5

Katelyn smiled as Billy opened the car door, giggling at the moonlight's reflection on his head. She pressed her palm against his short but thick peppered beard before linking arms with Nicole as they made their way up the cobblestone steps leading to their parent's cedar mansion. Katelyn swallowed her nerves, tucking some hair behind an ear.

"Are you ready for this?" Nicole asked, squeezing Katelyn's forearm, nothing but excitement being expressed from her big browns.

Katelyn bit her lip, her eagerness matching her sisters. "Lead the way."

She watched Nicole's fingers wrap around the golden handle, and pushing the large oak door, she moved aside to let Katelyn through. Katelyn couldn't hide her beaming smile toward the elation in everyone's faces as they raised their glasses. She rushed her hand to her mouth just before Zack ran to her lifting her up and spinning her. His laughter echoing through her ears. Boston made her feel a lot of things, but the instant warmth and love home made her feel, there was no comparison.

He put her down, planting a kiss on her cheek. "You have no idea how much it means to have you home."

Katelyn's tear shielded eyes couldn't help but radiate to her brothers smiling browns. She pressed her thumb against his dampened cheek, before embracing him once again. "I know…I know."

Finally breaking from his embrace, she turned to Donna, hugging her tightly. The two stood crying for a minute, saying nothing. Donna broke their embrace to present her ring finger, Katelyn's eyes fastened on the large princess cut diamond rose gold ring.

"I have to say, my brother has very good taste."

They both laughed. "I would've been happy with the daisy ring he presented right before the real thing."

Katelyn playfully slapped Zack on the arm. "Don't ever play with a lady and her engagement ring."

"You know me, I couldn't resist." He announced before placing a glass of wine in her hand.

"Why don't we all come eat, I've been slaving over a hot stove all day to feed my army." Stated her mother Gwen playfully before holding her arms out for Katelyn to finally hug her, and she did just that.

Everybody sat at the nine-foot walnut concave dining table. She took in a deep breath, while wiping dried tears from her warm cheeks. Her eyes admiring the sweet and smoky cedar planked salmon.

"Mom, this looks so good. God, how I missed your home-made meals." Explained Katelyn.

Gwen smiled. "I can't tell you how much of a blessing it is to once again have all of my babies with me."

Arthur looked across the table giving his wife his appreciative smile.

"So, tell me…have you both decided about the venue for the wedding? Colors?" Katelyn asked, directing her question toward the newly engaged couple.

She watched Zack look at Donna next to him, obviously to take the lead on this one.

"Well, we were thinking of getting married at the chapel, then have the reception at Hunters Hall, but honestly the perfect place for the ceremony and reception would be my parents ranch. They're forever hosting weddings, and proms and such. It's such a beautiful place, especially in September when fall starts making its appearance. I think it would be perfect,"

Katelyn nodded. "That would be an amazing sight," she smiled.

"Have you both decided who's actually going to be in the wedding, and how many dresses, and suits we're buying?" Arthur asked, with a smile.

"Arthur, I told you. We're paying for all of that. Don't be like my dad and insist you must do something. Just be there…"

"Nonsense. Your father and I have already talked, we will buy the dresses, and suits. He's going to cover your dress and the flowers, and we'll split the food and cars."

Katelyn couldn't help but giggle as she watched her father try to lay down the law with a stubborn Donna.

"Keep it up and we'll elope." Countered Donna her smirk and arched brow pulling a laughter from the table.

Arthur held his hands up. "Another time, maybe. Anyway, bridesmaids? Groomsmen?"

"Bill's already said yeah," Zack paused raising a glass across the table to Billy with a cheesy grin, "I have yet to ask Sami, but I want her to be my best man."

Katelyn's heart unexpectedly skipped but she kept her eyes fastened on her salmon. She debated on the sudden skip, assuming it was the delight of knowing their friendship was on the right path of being completely fixed.

"I know she would be honored, son." Replied Arthur.

"Of course, it wouldn't be a bridal party without Nicole." Donna paused to Nicole's proud of herself shrug then looked toward Katelyn. "Katelyn I'd love for you to be my maid of honor…"

Katelyn felt her dimples deepen as her smile grew. "I would be honored…" she replied in a weakened whisper. Donna nodded with an indebted beam while resting her hand on-top of Katelyn's giving it a delighted squeeze. "Um…I still have to ask Sophie and Erika."

"Who's Erika?" Katelyn asked covering her mouth between chews.

"She's the manager for both parlors, great girl." He replied.

"You guys are spread that thin?" Katelyn asked.

He nodded. "Yeah, between trying to juggle the two Parlors, and the bar…Erika's been a God send. She travels between them when we need her to, but we have her mainly taking care of the West Pines place."

"Well, that's good. How did you guys find her?"

"Sami and Billy met her at one of the tattoo conventions in Arizona. She grew up with Sami and Don, before they moved up here. Her work is something out of this world."

She nodded slowly. "I look forward to meeting her," replied Katelyn.

"You'll love her, her first day here she fit right in with everyone. I'm just relieved you guys aren't asking Nadine to be in it," stated Nicole through a groan.

"Okay, and who's Nadine? Good Lord, how many new people came to town while I was gone?" Everyone snickered.

"She's…She's," Zack struggled to finish.

"She is your Uncle's cardiologist, and she's a very good one too, she's just…" Gwen paused.

"Impossible…incredibly full of herself. I have better words to describe her but as we're in the presence of our darling mother, I'll leave it at that," interrupted Nicole with narrowed eyes.

"Why such animosity?" Katelyn asked, looking around at the faces that kept their eyes on their almost empty plates.

"I guess she's Sami's main squeeze." Replied Nicole.

"As in girlfriend?" Asked Katelyn.

"As in they won't label it but are strictly only sleeping with each other." Answered Nicole with a slight snarl.

"I'm just impressed Sami's sticking with only one female rather than the entire town." Said Katelyn, purposely dry.

Arthur cleared his throat. "Like I was telling you back in Boston, a lot has changed."

Katelyn swallowed some kind of feeling, unsure of what exactly, but it certainly wasn't jealousy and that, she was thankful for. "It's just a relief to know she's not being how she used to be." She paused looking at everyone's suspicious expressions, "I'm happy for her."

Zack smiled softly, before grabbing her hand in his and squeezing it lightly. "We might not like her, but she seems to be good for her."

"Good for her?" Nicole spat, "Please…"

Katelyn cocked a brow at her sister's exasperated snap.

"Let's not do this Nicole." Arthur suggested quietly.

Nicole dropped her cutlery on her plate, the subtle clatter causing Katelyn to jump slightly.

"What? Sami's not here, I don't have to bite my tongue for anyone here, you know y'all agree with me." Nicole snapped once again while Billy placed his hand on her shoulder rubbing it gently.

"She hasn't quite fit in with any of us…but I guess it's only been a few months." Donna trailed.

Katelyn looked at her then Nicole, "Give her a few months to get used to how things are here, I'm sure she's really very nice."

Nicole giggled with a frustration behind it, "I've given her a few months, she's too snotty. Fits in perfectly with East Pines, but us? Not so much, and of course no one has the balls, "she paused purposely aiming her sentence toward Zack, "To tell Sami how much we actually despise her unofficial girlfriend."

Zack shook his head, "Nicole, I've told you…she seems happy, I'm not gonna be the one to drop that kind of bomb on her, are you?"

"I'm pretty sure I've tried until one of you interrupt me or pull Sami away from the entire conversation."

Now Donna giggled, "Because nine times out of ten you're about to do it with the poor woman standing there."

Katelyn rolled her eyes at Donna with a smirk.

"Honesty is the best policy…my ass." Nicole spat.

Katelyn lifted her napkin from her lap and lightly pressed it against her lips. "That was divine, mom, thank you."

She watched Gwen look at her with a grateful smile, knowing her mother was thankful for her trying to drop the entire subject that clearly everyone thought about but refused to say out loud. She was of course curious as always but not curious enough to care, she knew she couldn't allow herself. Yes, she knew she had to bury the hatchet with Sami, but she also knew not to get too close. Not that she could fathom feeling for her the way she used to, but she was perfectly content keeping Sami at a distance, it was for the best especially in respects to Quinn's feelings about the entire situation.

Chapter 6

Katelyn stepped out of the shower moving to the mirror and wiping the condensation from it to reveal her reflection, she sighed happily. Quickly she dried herself, pulling on a pair of jeans, a camisole and a loose white buttoned shirt. Wrapping her wet hair in a bun she stepped out of her bathroom and threw her pajama shorts and tank top into the basket next to her vanity desk. Sitting on the edge of the bed she pulled her socks on. Her first night home, wasn't as drama free as she had hoped, but being surrounded by the people she loved most was exactly what she imagined and needed, not to mention she had, had the best night sleep. She looked over her shoulder, toward her bed side table to her silent phone. Quinn hadn't text or called, maybe she was trying to give her the space she needed to think about things, maybe she too was thinking hard. Katelyn pressed her chin into her collar bone, still Quinn could have replied to her goodnight text.

She sighed, getting up she grabbed her phone and made her way downstairs to follow the wonderful aroma of freshly brewed coffee beans. That small delight masking her hurtful thoughts of Quinn.

As she moved through the living room, she stopped in her tracks quickly recognizing the back of the figure enjoying her mother's coffee offerings while sitting at the breakfast bar. Katelyn swallowed hard before catching her mother's sympathetic smile. Suddenly the figure turned to look at her.

"Hey…you." Said the soft whisper.

Katelyn swallowed hard again, fighting sudden tears as her eldest friends forgiving blues pierced her.

"Tara…" Katelyn whispered.

Tara jumped off the breakfast stool, before opening her arms wide for Katelyn to let her embrace her.

Katelyn moved hastily toward her friend before grabbing her and holding her as tight as she possibly could. The two stood for a moment just squeezing and giggling against one another. Katelyn broke their hold, pulling Tara's stare to her browns,

"I can't tell you how happy I am to see you here, I thought you'd never want to speak to me again." Explained Katelyn before pulling her friend in again.

Tara giggled. "You couldn't have stopped me even if you wanted to Katelyn. Regardless of everything, I still love you."

Finally, Tara broke their embrace to let Katelyn take a stool next to her while Gwen poured them more coffee. Katelyn kept her eyes on her cup, before rushing to push a stray hair behind her ear. "I…I can't tell you how sorry I am…" Tara's hand paused her as it clutched her own. Katelyn looked over at her friend's understanding expression.

"Katelyn…that was two years ago. I'm over all of that…you couldn't have helped how you felt, and neither could I."

Katelyn shook her head, before taking that almost heart rushing first sip of coffee. She shut her eyes, letting the warm, soothing almost silk like coffee tantalize her taste buds.

"There is still no excuse…" She looked at her, "I will never, ever betray your trust like that again…I don't know what I was thinking, just know…I wasn't."

Tara giggled. "We were caught up, like every other girl before us."

Katelyn rolled her eyes. "I'm sorry Tee."

"I know, and I'm sorry for being an absolute bitch after it all."

"You have nothing to be sorry for…you had every right to do what you did."

"No…after I finally heard Sami out, I felt awful. She reminded me of how much you meant to me. I thought I had lost my longest and truest friend. Then your mom out of the blue calls me this morning and demands I come over, so we can fix it." Tara explained through a giggle.

Katelyn smirked, arching her eyebrow toward Gwen's guilty grin. She squeezed Tara's hand.

"I'm glad you did. You should have called me…"

"I know, I know. But I was sure you almost hated me for the way I reacted. Sami kept telling me to call…but I wouldn't I was just too scared."

Katelyn dropped her sympathetic smile, moving her stare back to her coffee. "I would have been delighted if I saw you trying to call me. I take it you and Sami are good?"

Tara nodded slowly, biting her bottom lip. "Yeah, we are pretty close friends. It didn't take long once I really thought about everything."

Katelyn smiled against her cup before taking a long slow sip. "Good, I'm glad my little mishap didn't completely ruin everyone."

Tara wrapped her fingers around her cup, "Yeah, it got a little hairy between her and Zack, but they're finally back on track, and what about you and Sami?"

Katelyn's shoulders tensed slightly, before raising her eyes to her mother's suspicious brows.

"Okay. I have some errands to run, before I go visit your Uncle. I'll be home later tonight. Let me know later if you'll be home for dinner and I'll pick something up." Stated Gwen before kissing the two on their heads.

Katelyn watched her mother grab her purse then shut the large oak door behind her, "Yeah…we haven't spoken to each other since." She whispered.

She felt Tara's hand press lightly against her back and rub it. "Oh…are you planning to?"

Katelyn shrugged, "I don't think I really have much of a choice."

Tara sighed. "I think it would be for the best, that way everyone has moved on from the mess of it all. She's sleeping with your uncle Mick's hot shot cardiologist from New York, Doctor Nadine Pearson, but just like the Theresa fiasco, they both claim there's no relationship there." Tara finished.

Katelyn laughed. "I've already been told about the two of them, and how much of a fan everyone is of her too."

Tara laughed at her sarcasm. "Oh, she is a delight. Not to mention she gets insanely jealous when Sami even looks my way."

Katelyn scrunched her brows. "I'm sorry what?"

"Oh, you didn't hear?" she laughed, "Oh boy, yeah…me…Erika…any female, honestly, except Nicole of course. So, she's going to just love you."

"You have got to be kidding, right? Why doesn't Nicole fit into that spectrum? Oh, let me guess because they haven't slept together? Well Sam and I never slept together, so I think I'm okay."

"I think she knows better because Nicole's with Billy." She shrugged, "You and Sami may have never slept together, but you're Katelyn Jensen…Nadine's very aware of who you are."

"Of me? What's that supposed to mean?" Katelyn questioned.

Tara giggled, shaking her head. "Come on Katelyn, you of all people know what you meant to Sami. Nadine absolutely despises that, and when someone tries to bring you up, Nadine always tries to make a comment and Sami instantly snaps at her telling her not to even think about going there. It's hilarious to say the least, so of course Nicole always brings you up just to watch Nadine be put in her place, even if it's the only time Sami addresses Nadine's inner bitch."

Katelyn's bottom lip slid into her mouth as a small dread began building. "Well, I'll have no problem letting this Nadine know I have absolutely zero interest in her booty call." She paused, "I'm actually kind of…seeing someone. Well things are in the air right now, but she's the only one who has my attention."

Katelyn laughed as an excited screech escaped Tara, "Oh, my! Who is she? Kind of? And why are things in the air?"

Katelyn giggled, "Her name is Quinn, we met on a case. She's a homicide detective."

Tara fanned herself playfully, "Oh Lord, a woman in uniform…"

Katelyn slapped her friends arm spiritedly. "Anyway…kind of…because I've been on the fence about making things official with us…she's just so perfect and with my track record, I'm more scared than anything."

"Scared of what?" Tara cautiously questioned.

"I don't know exactly. To make it even worse, my father asked me to come back here permanently and become senior partner and run the firm alongside Richard." She paused, swallowing hard. "If I decide to take him up on his offer, well…that would mean asking Quinn to move here, and we all know what happened the last time that happened."

Tara waved her comments away. "Katelyn last time was different…You weren't in love with Richard, are you in love with this Quinn?"

Katelyn squirmed slightly before her stare met Tara's apprehensive blues. "I…I…I think so, I mean I couldn't imagine and don't want to even think about my life without her."

"Okay…I can say that about a lot of people in my life. The real question is…" Tara paused taking in a deep breath and placing Katelyn's hands in her own. "Does she make you feel how Sami did when you loved her?"

Katelyn clamped her eyes shut, swallowing the instant regret, almost despising the question. Never had she ever tried to compare the two of them. It wasn't fair to do so, but was Tara right?

"Katelyn?"

Katelyn opened her eyes to the now doubtful blues. "Tara, I can't compare the t—"

"Yes, you can…you have to." Tara interrupted.

Katelyn shook her head. "I can't help but smile when I think about her. I miss her terribly. I want my future to be with her, everything I want in life…she is the person I picture being beside me through it all. So, to answer your question, yes I love her."

Tara's cold expression suddenly turned warm. "Then this is completely different, you thought you loved Richard. You wanted all those things with him, but reality was you never pictured it. You picture it with her…"

"You're right. You're absolutely right. I…I need to call her." Rushed Katelyn, patting down her jeans pocket for her phone. Just as she slid it out Tara stood up, moving to the sink to empty her coffee remains into it.

"I'll leave you to make the call, if you aren't doing anything later, you should come to the bar, Terri and I will be there." She asked.

Katelyn smirked with an arched brow. "You and Terri, huh?"

Tara laughed. "Oh, nothing like that, honey. You should come hang out with us."

"I'm supposed to be having dinner with Richard and my father tonight, raincheck?"

"Okay sounds good," She wrapped her arms around her, holding tightly. "Thank you for coming home."

Katelyn scrunched her nose and bit her bottom lip behind Tara as she shut the large oak door behind her. She placed her phone onto the breakfast bar and sighed into herself as she scrolled through her phone book, purposely stopping at Quinn's name. She rushed the inside of her cheek between her teeth as she hit the call button. Her stomach instantly began filling with butterflies, her heart rapidly began throbbing into her throat. Unexpectedly the butterflies in her stomach sank as Quinn's voicemail eventually picked up. Katelyn swallowed hard before the beep. Hey, it's just me. I haven't heard from you and just kind of checking in. I hope you're okay…call me back whenever you get the chance. I would really like to talk to you about something…okay…yeah, so call me…I love you, Quinn. She hung up the phone, before sighing deeply. Was she too late? Had Quinn already made her mind up in less than twenty-four hours? Had she made Quinn wait too long to make them official? Had she gone and messed it all up? Again….

Chapter 7

Katelyn smiled up at Richard as he opened the door of his Lexus to help her out. He hadn't changed in the slightest, still with his perfectly blonde comb over and tapered sides that always extenuated his strong and bare jawline. His baby blues and pearly whites never failing to bring a smile to her face, although very handsome she was thankful his beauty never came with an ugly personality. As soon as he picked her up from her parents, he had still been the gentleman she had once promised herself too. She straightened the bottom of her high waist back slit skew neck sheath dress, before tucking her small black purse under her arm and placing her other arm inside Richards. She looked over her shoulder as her father led her mother up the sheen marble steps to The Wallace entrance.

Richard grasped her hand that rested against his forearm as the door men welcomed them into the well-known and prestigious restaurant. "Here we go."

She smiled softly and saying nothing she leaned her head against his shoulder. They soon followed her parents to their table. Her ears enjoying the gentle bellows from the cello that accompanied the orchestra's silk like symphony. Katelyn smirked as Richard slid her chair out for her.

"Thank you, kind Sir," She mocked.

Richard laughed before unbuttoning his black suit jacket as he waited for Gwen to be seated before he himself sat opposite Arthur. Katelyn cleared her throat as the waiter presented them the finest house wine chosen by Richard before pouring it.

"Glad to see you still have great taste." Katelyn stated to Richard, sipping her wine.

"Well…I thought it would only be right. It's not every day you become a senior partner for a law firm, and my career started with you…I thought it was only fitting that I bring us here to celebrate."

Katelyn smiled, raising her glass to him. "From the bottom of my heart, you deserve this Richard, I'm so proud of you." She stated sincerely, her eyes moving to her parents as they too joined in the glass raising.

"Now…if you happen to take your father up on his offer…we can do this all again. Can you imagine the two of us running this thing together?" said Richard with a small grin.

Katelyn smirked, staring toward him under her brows. "Okay Mr. Sinclair, that's enough out of you."

Arthur laughed, "Yes, let's just enjoy East Pines finest wine and food and keep this as casual as possible. I'm under strict instructions not to talk shop tonight by my darling wife, so if you would both find another subject tha—" he paused. Katelyn watched his tanned face turn sickly pale before raising up from his seat quickly. "I'm sorry, if you would excuse me for just a moment."

Katelyn's confusion forced her eyebrows to scrunch together, she looked toward Richard whose blues exchanged the same confusion. Their stares followed him to the front desk, the endless waiters blocking her view, she turned back to her mother.

"I wonder what that was all about…" Katelyn asked her mother before scanning the dishes being offered from the italic printed menu.

"Who knows…I don't know about you, but I'm famished," replied Gwen.

A few minutes later Katelyn's eyes shifted from the menu to her unnerved father as he returned watching the following waiters place another table against theirs. Her eyebrow raising as they guided a cream tablecloth over it, and gently but swiftly dressing it with pristine cutlery and sparkling wine glasses in perfect synchrony, then finally topping it off with a crystal vase in the center with two red, and white roses inside.

"Arthur…what's going on?" Gwen asked.

Katelyn watched her father swallow hard, and gently wipe the sudden perspiration from his brow, his eyes remaining locked on the front desk.

He bent down gently, "We're going to have a few more people eating with us." He paused, his almost panicked blues staying put on Gwen's browns. "I forgot they were bringing Ron here for his birthday dinner…" He trailed. Katelyn watched her mother's eyes widen before looking toward her.

"Honey—" Arthur abruptly interrupted Gwen with a harsh clearing of his throat.

Katelyn raised her brow as her mother raised up to greet their new dinner guests before turning to look over her shoulder. Zack and Donna caught her eye, a small smile crept against her cheek until Donna's reluctant stare moved to a panicked one, just like her fathers. Katelyn brought her brows together, what did everyone know that she didn't?

She watched Donna in her slender fitted silver dress drop her head, her straight black hair covering her usually smiling browns as they drew closer. Katelyn's heart skipped a few beats to say the least when her eyes hung on the sight of a tall and sturdy Ron Wilson in his steel gray suit, black tie and next to him was the quaint and soft faced Brenda Wilson wearing an elegant cream evening gown. Instantly she recognized them… Sami had her father's eyes and for that split second, Katelyn was reminded of the mysterious darks for the first time in sometime as Ron approached, his familiar darks locking in her browns. She swallowed her beating heart as best she could without making it obvious. Quickly she stood up, gently straightening her dress, she pushed a small smile for the introductions.

Donna hastily brought Katelyn into her for a hug before whispering, "What are you guys doing here?"

Katelyn broke their brief hold with a raised brow, "Am I the only one who thinks this is a lovely surprise?"

Donna moved out of the way letting Zack give his sister a kiss on the cheek, "Hey…" He turned to Ron and Brenda, breaking their brief conversations with his parents, "Ron, Brenda…this is my wonderful sister Katelyn." His trembling voice catching Katelyn off-guard, but before she could address it with an arched brow to display her confusion she was brought into a tender hug from Brenda and a quiet but acknowledgeable nod from Ron. They were very aware of each other, being the first and last time they saw each other was at Arthur's birthday at Hunters Hall a couple years ago. A part of her dreaded what they really thought of her, especially after her exit. She doubted Sami would have divulged much, and doubted Donna would have spoken badly of her, but still… She was the one who's exit had apparently caused a ruckus especially for their daughter, Sami.

"Please…everyone sit." Insisted Arthur before ordering more wine for everyone.

Katelyn sat down, her eye catching an empty seat. She watched Donna sit down next to her and hand her red purse to the waiter, before lightly nudging her, "So…why does everyone seem on edge or is it just me?" She whispered.

Donna gave a sympathetic smile, "Please know we didn't know you guys would be here…."

"Huh?"

Katelyn watched Donna's eyes shift behind her and weaken. The ostentatious sound of Zack clearing his throat moved her sights from Donna, to him raising up with a small but clearly forced smile appearing against his five o'clock shadow. The table fell silent, Katelyn turned toward the sight that swiftly took the entire tables attention.

Right in that split second her heart abruptly throbbed into her throat, instantaneously winding her, her head suddenly light. She couldn't quite comprehend the storm that moved through her, tearing apart every shred of strength she had built against who her browns rested on. Sami Wilson walked toward them, her dark hair still with the under shave and slicked back top with some rogue hairs falling to the side. Katelyn couldn't ignore the tailor fitted white shirt, thin black pencil tie, it's knot of course not at all near her collar, but that was always typical of Sami. Her shirt did seem to be somewhat tucked into her light denim ripped jeans.

Katelyn swallowed hard as her eyes caught the smiling darks that approached. The darks that captivated her from day one, reeled her in… Abruptly her rushing thoughts stopped as the smiling darks were finally trapped by her browns… Katelyn's bottom lip moved in between her teeth, the mysterious darks weren't smiling anymore. She swallowed hard once again as Sami stopped in her tracks. Their stare locked. Katelyn's throbbing heart left a ringing in her ears, everyone stayed silent… Even the conversations and laughter of the other diners seemed to move to dimmed whispers. She watched Sami swallow hard, her mouth falling slightly ajar with her eyes exhibiting weakened blinks. Katelyn stood up, not detecting Donna's grip on her arm. She knew all eyes were on them but still she stood. Sami's stare didn't waiver while Katelyn studied the slightly pained darks that gently took her in…

Arthur stood, clearing his throat before pulling the one empty chair back, Katelyn looked over her shoulder at him to observe his pleading stare toward Sami.

Sami still stood, saying nothing. Her heart sank the very minute her eyes caught the unsuspecting seductive browns… The browns that still after two years, haunted her, the ones she prayed to never have to capture her sights again, the undeniably seductive browns that caught her off-guard every time without fail. She clenched her jaw, staying silent.

"Sami…why don't you come sit?" Arthur asked gently.

Katelyn chewed the inside of her cheek as Sami's darks finally left her and onto a silently pleading Arthur. She watched her small square jaw clench, detecting her laugh lines had become deeper, before looking toward Ron, who sent Sami a gentle nod toward the chair. Sami's head dropped slightly before reluctantly taking a seat. Katelyn sat along with her brother and father, her knotted stomach taking away any kind of appetite she had left.

 

Chapter 8

 

Richard shifted awkwardly in his chair before raising a glass to the silent group, "Well, seeing as everyone's lost their tongue, I'll go ahead and start this off," he paused looking to Ron, "Happy Birthday, Ron." He finished with a relaxed smile.

Ron let a small smile rest against his fairly groomed salt-and-pepper beard, before sending an appreciative nod.

Katelyn felt Richards palm gently press between her shoulder blades, she looked over at his supportive smile. She bowed her head before sending him a humbled nod, regardless what had happened between them in the past he continued to keep the promise that he would always be the support system she wanted if she ever needed. Their friendship never wavered, and as she sat there, while an unknown guilt ripped through her she couldn't help but thank God for having someone like Richard right by her side right at that very moment. She knew Donna and Zack never judged her for her decision to leave, they understood, well eventually Zack did but as she sat there, daring to let her eyes sneak a peek at Sami she couldn't help but feel like a slight villain. Nicole hadn't failed to remind her of the hardship Sami went through after she left… She hurt Sami… Not on purpose. Sami had cut her deeper than anyone ever had, what was she supposed to do? Take it like the others? Absolutely not, and the only person to let her see her worth was states away… Ignoring her phone calls and texts. Katelyn sighed against a deep sadness as her thoughts finally turned to Quinn.

"This place is absolutely beautiful…I think we've only been here maybe three times and every time it takes my breath away." Stated Brenda, before sipping the fine wine, pulling Katelyn from her daze.

Gwen giggled, "Give me a takeout, a good book and Pines fall lake any day of the week."

The table sniggered, while Katelyn watched her father's eyeroll, "She fails to tell you, a view of Pines fall lake…in the comforts of central heating from behind a large bay window."

Everyone once again shared a small laughter as Gwen slapped Arthur playfully before sending an admittance shrug, "I'm pampered, what can I say?"

"Here, here." Replied Zack with a raised glass.

Katelyn smiled. Finally, the table fell silent as the food was bestowed to their table. She dared to look across the table to Sami who had yet to say a word to anyone. Donna kept looking at her with a small smile, a small gesture of comfort Katelyn knew. She hated that her presence had somewhat made everyone uncomfortable.

Arthur rested his elbow against the edge of the table, pointing his knife toward Ron, "Before I forget, I called the catering company last week, they told me they would email us their menu samples and numbers for the reception, I'm still waiting. Have you heard from the cake place?"

Katelyn watched Donna in mid bite, remove the slice of chicken on her fork from her mouth, and point it toward Arthur, "How many times do I have to tell you both? Zack and I are going to take care of this." She explained, darting her sights between the two fathers.

"You can tell us until you're blue in the face," Ron paused, as he sliced his steak, "You can choose your colors, flavors, dresses, suits, car types, menu, venue…everything down to the shoe lace color. But regardless, you're my daughter, I only plan on giving you away one time. I want…we as a family want to give you both the best damn day of your lives, while you give us ours." He finished, keeping his eyes on his plate.

Katelyn arched a brow, Ron came across as a man of few words, apparently, she was wrong on this one. She glanced toward Zack who did just as Ron did and kept his eyes down on his plate. Did it appear that her brother was afraid of his soon to be father in law? She smiled into herself.

Donna's narrowed eyes watched everyone's silence, then she met Katelyn's amused browns, "Prepare to go bankrupt." Donna mumbled.

Katelyn watched Ron shrug. "Do what you will."

She lifted her napkin to her mouth hoping it would dim her giggle, without thinking her eyes met the darks of Sami observing her… Staring at her, studying her, taking her in. Katelyn paused her slight giggle as Sami's attentive stare broke from her. She watched her gently wipe her napkin against her peached lips, then slide her chair back. Everyone's eyes darted to her. Katelyn swallowed her sinking heart as Sami excused herself from the table to have a smoke. She cleared her throat, dropping her knife and fork against her plate. She looked up at her father's concerned stare, his thick bush like brows raising,

"I think I need to address this…" Exclaimed Katelyn.

Donna's rushed hand pinned Katelyn's. "Not right now, Katie."

Katelyn swallowed hard as all eyes studied her. Zack leaned back looking toward her past Donna, "Donna's right Katie…"

"Then when?"

"Soon…just not tonight. We didn't want it to be like this, we hoped we would get you both in a room with no one else around and talk it out…" Replied Arthur.

She sighed. "I'm sorry I put this on all of you. I think it's probably for the best that I leave…" she paused looking toward Ron and Brenda's sympathetic stares, "I'm sorry for ruining your birthday celebrations, please know that was never my intentions."

Katelyn slid her chair back as Richard raised with her, she bowed her head to him as he moved aside to let her through.

"Katelyn."

She looked over her shoulder to the sight of Ron's darks demanding her attention. She swallowed hard as the ache of her held tears tore the back of her throat.

"You stay right where you are. You belong here just as much as the rest of us. Do not let my daughter's actions make you think otherwise." He paused, now raising up from his seat, and dropping his napkin onto his half-eaten steak, "Take a seat, I think I'm the one who needs to address this."

"Thank you but no, honestly it's only right that I should go. This is supposed to be your birthday dinner with your family. Me being here is preventing that," replied Katelyn.

"We may not know a whole lot about each other, but you are family regardless of whatever the hell went on between you both. So, please…take a seat, enjoy the rest of your meal and I'll be right back." Insisted Ron.

Katelyn shut her eyes, eventually opening them to Donna's soft smile that caused a sorrowful smile to place itself against Katelyn's slightly dampened cheek.

"I'm sorry…" Donna whispered.

Katelyn shook her head. "No, I'm sorry…" She insisted before sitting back down next to her.

Sami paced back and forth against the brisk evening air, hastily flicking her ash with every step. What the hell was she doing back? Why the hell did she even come back? I was doing so damn good…

"Sam."

Her father's cavernous voice pausing her, she looked over at him, her shoulders falling forward. "I can't go back in there."

He walked toward her, holding his hand out for a smoke. She dug into her pocket, presenting a box before smacking the bottom, he took one. Quickly she flicked her lighter waiting patiently for a flame to ignite, finally it did.

"You knew this day would eventually come. We've talked about this…" Insisted Ron, blowing out a thick cloud of smoke.

Sami took a long draw from hers, before blowing out a large cloud too, "Yeah, we talked about it…that doesn't mean…I'm ready." She threw her hands in the air.

"Sam…you need to face her, move past all of this…finally."

Both suddenly paused as Zack came through the back exit toward them, his hands stuffed in his pockets. Sami watched his shivering body tense up.

"Sami…I'm sorry I never told you she was coming…I just didn't—"

She interrupted him. "A heads up would've been real nice…"

"I'm sorry…I wanted to but, I didn't know how to even begin that conversation."

She dropped her head. "Why did she have to come back now? I have way too much shit to deal with…I don't need this. Everything was going perfectly fine."

"No one can answer why she came back now but regardless, she did. This is still her home, and you need to think about the Jensen family and stop thinking about yourself. They already lost her once…because of you, don't make the same mistake twice." Ron replied, flicking his half-smoked cigarette on the ground before gently stomping on it.

Sami slowly shut her eyes, clenching her jaw. She knew he was right; she opened her sights to Zacks crossed arms. "She might only be visiting but you do need to face her…eventually she'll be back for the wedding...then maybe another family celebration, who knows? I guess what I'm saying is, you'll never be rid of her. She did nothing wrong in all of this, need I remind yo—"

Again, she interrupted him by raising her hand, gesturing for him to stop while she pinched the bridge of her nose. "Trust and believe I know I fucked up, I know the entire mess was my fault but do y'all have any idea what it took to get ove—" she paused, dropping her hands and resting them lazily against her hips. "I need some time to get my head in the game…I can't do this right now."

"Maybe not now…but you need to get this over and done with, Sam." Ron insisted.

She threw her cigarette on the ground, blowing out the last translucent cloud. "I'm gonna go back to the bar, I have a few things to take care of."

Ron shook his head, "Don't run, Sam. I brought you up better than that."

She looked over her shoulder at them both as they stood with disappointment all over their faces.

"I don't run from a damn thing…but…" She paused pointing her finger at The Wallace, "That woman in there is every single demon I've been fighting for the past two years. I'm not ready to face those demons, not just yet. Let me go take care of a few things for Mick. Tell everyone I said bye…Happy birthday, dad…I hope you can find it in you to understand…"

And with that Sami disappeared around the corner of The Wallace toward her truck. She gripped the door handle and closed her eyes as she took in a deep breath. This was the day she had replayed in her head since the very day Katelyn left. Even when she met Nadine, she was a pretty distraction, not enough to attempt the relationship aspect but she had become a breath of fresh air, being very different from the women she usually took to bed. Katelyn never faded from her first and last thought of each day. Hiding her pain became easier with each passing day, and it helped that she never had to face the person she still hopelessly ached for. You must face it, to get over it...

Katelyn studied Ron and Zack as they returned to the table, their disappointment evident to everyone while their shoulders fell forward, and heads lowered. She took in a deep breath, unable to hide her weakened blinks. Sami clearly wasn't willing to try and be in the same room as her. Had it really been that bad? She hadn't done a damn thing wrong, why was Sami almost punishing her for something she did?

Ron now sat in silence with a clenched jaw. Katelyn watched Brenda's hand cover her husbands clenched boulder-like fist, he looked at her through the corner of his narrowed eye and shook his head. Brenda dropped hers, before turning to Katelyn. "I'm sorry about Sami…just like her father, she's hardheaded…this is her punishing herself, not you."

Katelyn nodded lightly, appreciating the comforting words. She turned to her parents, "I'll try and talk to her in a few days…me being here was a shock to the system, I get it. I hold no grudges against her…she needs to know that. Whether she accepts it or not…that's on her. It's all I have."

Chapter 9

Katelyn stared at her watch; it was nearing eight thirty. After the evening she had, she was ready to call it a night, soak up some bubbles then hopefully fall into a blissful slumber. She sighed heavily as she sat at the breakfast bar of her parent's mansion, her phone balancing in her hand. She'd tried calling Quinn as soon as she got home from the almost disastrous dinner at The Wallace. After Sami's evident exit, everyone was quick to leave right after dessert.

Now she sat wondering why Quinn wasn't answering any of her texts or calls. It had been two days since they last talked, right before she left her at the departure lounge. Had she realized she was done? Had Katelyn's demands been too much? Afterall she did ask her to think about the possibility of leaving her family and even childhood friends for her, if she chose to make a career changing decision. What about Quinn's career? The life she had built. Everything Quinn knew and loved was in Boston… Katelyn sighed, now she felt terrible, how could she have been so selfish to ask such a thing? Unexpectedly her phone began vibrating, she turned the screen around, her hopeful heart turning back to an aching one. Reluctantly she answered,

"Hey…"

"Hey, you. Wanna come to the bar?"

"I think I'm gonna give it a miss tonight, it's been a really long day…"

"Are you okay? Do you want me to come over?"

"No, no. I'm fine, stay and enjoy yourself. I think I'm just gonna take a nice hot bath, then grab a tub of ice-cream and catch up on some TV shows."

"Is this because of my dumbass sister?"

Katelyn giggled. "No, this has nothing to do with her, Don."

"Quinn?"

Katelyn sighed. "Yeah, she still hasn't replied to my texts or even tried calling…"

"Okay, I'm coming to get you. We can talk on the drive over here. I'm not taking no for an answer. Anyway, we have yet to celebrate me marrying your darling brother."

"Donn—" Before Katelyn could even start her refusal the phone had already hung up.

She chewed the inside of her cheek, maybe a few drinks and laid-back atmosphere is exactly what she needed. Dwelling on Quinn wasn't something she was willing to deal with, not right now. She ran her hands through her loose brown hair. Why did I have to tell her I loved her? It had never ended well before, why would it be different this time round? She shook her head, trying to shake thoughts of Quinn from her mind. Jumping off the breakfast bar stool, she ran upstairs to quickly change out of her sweatpants and hoodie.

Katelyn locked her parent's door behind her before hopping two cobblestone steps at a time toward Donna's car. She opened the door and jumped in rolling her eyes to Donna's mischievous grin.

"What's that grin for?" She asked suspiciously while rolling her fingers through her hair, letting it hang over one shoulder.

"What? Can't a girl smile when her friend comes home?" Answered Donna.

Katelyn rolled her head to look out the window. "Uh-huh, sure."

"Listen after that disastrous dinner; our asses deserve some down time. Especially when the whole gang is there tonight, Nicole, Billy, Zack, Sophie…of course she's working. Tara and Terri might make an appearance." She paused for a giggle, "Oh and how can I forget the wonderful Jordan." Now Katelyn released a dry giggle. "Sami is there but she'll be in the back office with your Uncle, it's bookkeeping night, so you don't have to worry about seeing her."

Katelyn looked over her shoulder at her, "Donna, why did she act like she did at dinner?"

Donna sighed shaking her head. "That's just Sam."

"But it's not. I know she never has a problem letting someone know she isn't fond of them, but honestly…why me? What I did, I did it for the both of us…" Justified Katelyn.

"Katie like my mom said, she's punishing herself…when you left, she had to deal with losing you because of something she did, it was easier because you weren't around to remind her…now? Well, now she has to face it." Replied Donna.

"I had to deal with it, and I did. I'm over it…don't get me wrong, the mere thought of coming back scared me more than you'll know, but…finally seeing her, let me know I had truly forgiven her, and not talking to her…never even crossed my mind."

"Right…but Sami's never forgiven herself. She's only ever distracted herself from you, hence Nadine." She paused, turning to look toward Katelyn while the light in front remained red. "Katie regardless what she did when you were here, she did love you…as you did her, she just dealt with her loss a little differently than you, and continues to."

Katelyn began chewing the inside of her cheek. "Okay, but how she dealt with it, she can't take it out on me, that's not fair and when we do finally talk, I'll set that straight." She paused to Donna's smirk, "For right now, I'm going to try and not think about her or the asshole refusing to take my calls."

"I wonder what the hell her issue is…you just came for a visit it's not like you're leaving forever." Stated Donna as they pulled into the Blackbeard parking lot.

"Well…" Katelyn stopped to Donna's arched brow.

"What?"

"We'll talk later, let's just go have a few drinks and relax, shall we?"

"Don't make me turn this car around and drive until the tank gets empty then our asses are walking to a gas station in heels."

Katelyn laughed before opening the door and shutting it behind her, "Like I said, later." She stated deviously enough to pull a shady laughter from Donna as they entered the laughter filled bar.

Katelyn raised her arms to welcome a running, screaming Tara. Their enlightened giggles pushing a laughter from the rest of the group huddled around the two pool tables. Katelyn systematically hugged and kissed the cheeks of her old friends, not before stopping at the dashing Jordan. She scrunched her nose playfully before being lifted by the tall and sturdy woman.

"Hey, you." She whispered in the striking woman's ear.

"Glad you finally decided to come for a visit and looking as gorgeous as ever." Replied Jordan with a wink.

Katelyn pulled the off the shoulder cream top over her hips again and straightened her hip hugging jeans. "I am too…and how is my cousin Sophie?" Katelyn made sure to ask with an arched brow, instantly reminding Jordan she was no fool.

Jordan dropped her fetching blues, with a bashful smile. "She's wonderful…working her little butt off. She'll be excited to see you…like the rest of us."

Katelyn pursed her lips against a smirk and scrunched her nose before playfully slapping her old friend against the arm "Always the flirt." She stated before walking away to join Nicole at the bar to help with the large order for their group.

She nudged her sister, "You okay? I was a little taken aback when I didn't see you at The Wallace earlier." She asked while watching Zack vigorously work behind the bar alone. Sophie nowhere to be seen.

Nicole rolled her eyes. "More like are you okay? Zack told me what happened. The Salon was over booked…the new receptionist double booked," She paused with a groan. "Don't get me started on that mess."

Katelyn tucked her chin into her collar bone before nodding slowly. "I'll be fine, I just have to tell her about herself."

Nicole shrugged. "Yeah…It took all of me not to go back there and—" Katelyn's gentle back rub interrupted her.

"Don't worry, I got it. I promise." She reassured, before helping Nicole back to the table with their trays.

After resting the tray on a table next to them Katelyn grabbed her Gin and tonic, her eyes darting some new and old faces as her lips searched for the straw, "Where is Sophie?" She asked Jordan who missed yet another shot at the pool table.

Jordan shrugged. "I think she's in the back with Mick and Sami."

Katelyn nodded slowly, turning to watch Terri taking her shot, and missing.

"I see you haven't lost your touch there, champ?"

Terri winked. "Never, Miss. Jensen. When I win this one, you're next."

Katelyn raised her glass with a subtle nod and rested a cocky smirk toward her old friend. Suddenly she jumped to a light tap against her shoulder, she turned around to see a small red head with an endless array of freckles under both smiling green eyes, her cherry red lips heightening the shy smile.

Katelyn bent down slightly to embrace her long-lost cousin. "My God Sophie, you haven't changed one little bit."

"It's been far too long." Sophie insisted before releasing her. "I just wish it hadn't taken me so long to come to my senses…"

"You're here now, and for when it's important…Uncle Mick wouldn't have wanted anything else. I can tell you that much. How is your brother?"

"Well…Michael did come and see dad, but he and Sami kind of got into it…he left with a fat lip and a sore ego, that's for sure."

Katelyn chose not to hide her smirk; her memories of Michael were mainly filled with him being a complete brat. "Yeah, Sami doesn't really have a way with words…her fists? That's a different story. What did he do?"

Sophie smiled, "Instantly started talking about the will…and if dad gives him the bar, he knows exactly how he's going to completely renovate the place, oh and not forgetting to let Sami know he has his renovator guy on speed dial. Next thing we knew, he was on the floor." She paused unable to prevent her small giggle. "Dad threw some bills at him and told him to never come back."

"Still the Class A asshole, huh? I think if I was there, I would've probably done the same as Sami did."

"Nicole and you both, she jumped Sami's desk to try and get to him…like I told everyone else, I don't care if he leaves me nothing, I deserve it. I've finally grown up thanks to Aunt Gwen," she paused laughing, "And honestly, I'm just glad to finally have him back in my life."

Katelyn gave her younger cousin a sympathetic smile before pulling her in for another hug. "We're all glad you finally came back. You always were the apple of his eye."

She felt Sophie squeeze her a little harder, before moving away. "Anyway, I was told to come fetch you, he wants to see you."

Katelyn slid her cheek between her teeth before looking back at the group who were honestly too busy trying to make bets on the next winner. It was the Friday night tournament and evidently it expanded from being just a Sami and Zack tournament.

She looked back at Sophie. "Sami's back there, right?"

"Yeah, she's doing the numbers. Have I missed something? You have that same on edge expression my dad did when he purposely whispered for me to go get you, after Zack tucked his head through the door and gave a somewhat ominous nod."

Katelyn gave her a small smile. "No one told you?"

Sophie's blank expression confirmed to Katelyn that she in fact hadn't been told a thing. She shrugged, pressing her hand against her younger cousins back, insisting she take the lead.

 

As they walked behind the bar, the knot in her stomach tightened… She knew she wasn't nervous to be in Sami's presence; she was anxious to Sami's reaction. Would she even try and talk? Try and fix the mess that she'd left behind, finally.

She took in a deep breath as Sophie led her into the small, poorly lit hallway, the pewter walls sucking whatever light the skylight above attempted to pull from the full moon's glare. Finally, they stopped at a black door at the end of the hall. Again, she inhaled the whiskey shielded air as if it was her last breath while Sophie gently knocked the door. Katelyn shoved her bottom lip between her teeth, unknowingly letting her nervous fingers dance against the top of her thighs, what was taking so long? Sophie knocked again, this time a little louder. Katelyn's stomach unexpectedly sank as her Uncle's voice could now be heard.

"Come on in."

Katelyn gave her cousins greens a crooked smile right before she pushed down on the old handle. The door stuck slightly, and after a subtle nudge from Sophie it flew open. Katelyn swallowed hard as she presented herself from behind Sophie, her eyes quickly fastening on the grey rings that rested underneath the shallow eyes of her now frail and thin looking Uncle. His grey beard still full but seemed to overgrow his delicate face. He wasn't the larger than life, big and burly lumberjack like Uncle she had once been so used to. A tear balanced against her lashes; he really was sick…

He smiled a gentle smile, spreading his palms on his desk, he slowly raised himself from it, while his thoughtful stare quickly moved toward Sami who was tucked behind her paperwork covered desk in the other corner of the office. Clearly not paying attention as her eyes remained locked on the numbers she was trying to calculate. Katelyn's stare followed her Uncle's then back to him, his usually tight red and black flannel, hung over him like a smock. His worn jeans barely hanging onto his nowhere to be seen hips. She pushed the tip of her tongue against the bottom of her top teeth as her lashes fought to hold back the flood of tears that wanted to fall.

Mick cleared the lump from his throat as he made his way around the desk toward her. She watched as he neared, his 'Pimp limp' as he liked to call it barely keeping him steady anymore. Slowly she shook her head as both remained silent. Finally, as he drew closer Katelyn couldn't stop her falling tears… His gentle eyes smiled as his hands cupped the sides of her face, gently he traced his thumbs across her cheeks to catch her flowing tears.

"Welcome home, Teddy."

Katelyn couldn't hold her deep sadness any longer, and pulled him into her… Her tears streaming down her chin as she sobbed against his neck.  Her fingers clawing and clamping the loose fabric. She felt him tighten his hold while his frail fingers gently stroked her hair.

"Okay, it's okay Teddy…" He paused pressing his palms against her cheeks, once again letting his thumbs catch her falling tears. He tilted his head forcing her pained eyes to meet his that smiled. "Everything's okay, I'm getting better…I promise." He whispered while placing a gentle kiss against her forehead.

Katelyn closed her eyes, taking in a deep breath as she tried to calm her breaths. Opening them she watched Mick drop his head and turn away from her, making sure to keep his arm firmly wrapped over her shoulder. Her eyes instantly locked onto a standing Sami who stared back, her jaw clenching, her forehead lines deepening, her bloodshot darks weakening with every slow blink. Katelyn swallowed hard as they just stood letting their stares duel in silence, while her heart suddenly throbbed into her throat.

"A little birdie told me y'all needed to have a little talk…in private. This office can't get any more private, so…we're gonna leave you both." He paused to Sami's cleared throat, causing him to point his finger in her direction. "And I don't want to see either of you until this is fixed between you both."

He turned back to Katelyn to press a gentle kiss against her cheek, she closed her eyes and leaned into it. She dropped her head as he and Sophie left closing the door behind them. After a few seconds she raised her sights back on a motionless Sami. Her eyes had fallen to her desk as she hunched over it. Eventually she reached for the top drawer, pulling it open to grab a sliding bottle of whiskey before slamming it on top of her desk along with two shot glasses. Katelyn studied her motion, her eyes locking onto the grays that finally looked back at her. Sami nodded to Mick's seat that sat behind his desk in the other corner and poured the two shot glasses to their brim.

Katelyn took in another deep breath and saying nothing she moved to Mick's chair and sat in silence. Sami placed the shot glass in front of her before falling back into her own chair. Katelyn watched her grab the shot glass and down it in one before swiftly filling it right back up. She arched her brow, then grabbed her own and too downed her whiskey, but unable to take it like a champ, she rushed her hand to her mouth as the burn moved through her, gently she coughed, leaving a face of discontent that wasn't very attractive she knew, but she didn't care. Her narrowed eyes caught Sami's small smirk while she poured her another one, urging another arch from Katelyn's brow.

"Whiskey has never been my drink…." She explained, dreading the next generous shot.

"Whatever you say…wuss." Sami whispered.

Katelyn rushed her bottom lip between her teeth, her heart instantly jumping into her throat. The last time they had said that to each other, was the night at the falls… She sighed, that fateful night, and just like that… That fateful memory forced Katelyn to grab the glass and down it, this time the burn somewhat dimmed, she appreciated that much. Quickly she placed her palm across the top of her glass as Sami went to pour yet another.

She couldn't help but study the confused grays as they watched her. "I'm good for right now…thank you."

Sami gave a small nod before sitting back down in her chair, pouring herself another.

"Nervous?" Katelyn asked, with a little amusement in her voice.

Sami looked over at her with a slightly clenched jaw. "Not at all…it's been a long day." She replied, before downing the next glass.

Katelyn nodded slowly. "That…I can agree with."

Sami ran her fingers through her thick dark slicked back hair, then poured another shot of whiskey. Screwing the cap, she looked over at Katelyn and bringing the glass to her lips she threw her head back to down the next.

Katelyn swallowed hard trying to hold the intimidating eyes that almost stalked her through the foggy dim lighting.

"Say something…" she said softly.

Sami clamped her eyes shut as the soft whisper moved through her ears. She'd forgotten just how debilitating Katelyn's soft whispers were.

She cleared her throat. "I…don't know what to say…" Sami trailed, her eyes scanning the already half drunken whiskey bottle.

Katelyn stood up and moved forward snatching the bottle from Sami's desk before turning and unscrewing the slightly tightened cap to pour herself a less generous amount. Lifting the glass with her back to Sami she stared at a picture that hung directly above her uncle's desk, it was him, her father, mother, Zack, Nicole, Sophie and Sami in front of her parent's large cobblestone fireplace, the sight of them in their ugly Christmas sweaters pulled a soft smile, then her heart sank… She swallowed the sudden hurt, wishing she could have been there with them last Christmas.

Quickly she downed her whiskey, swallowing harder, a failed attempt at aiding the burn to shift through her insides faster. She hung the shot glass above the desk with her fingertips, eventually letting it drop a small distance before turning back to an already watching Sami.

"Why are you here?" Sami asked,

"I came to spend some much-needed time with my family."

Sami shook her head. "That's not what I meant…why are you here? In this office."

Katelyn sat back in Mick's chair, spinning it to face Sami. "To talk to you, clear the air…fix whatever is going on with us and finally move on."

Sami leaned forward resting her elbows against the tops of her thighs. "Nothing needs fixed between us."

Katelyn laughed lightly. "Oh really? So earlier at The Wallace that wasn't you completely trying to avoid me?"

"I was a little taken aback by seeing you again, I didn't know how to react." Sami insisted.

"Okay, I'll admit seeing you…shook me up a little. But not enough to completely ignore your presence."

Sami sat back leaning into her computer chair, "We're two very different people, Katelyn." She replied, her tone suddenly strict.

Now Katelyn leaned back, narrowing her eyes, trying to read the darks that locked in her stare. Still… She struggled…

"That may very well be the case, but I'm pretty sure you're the same as me when it comes to finally clearing the air between us. I don't want us being in the same room an uncomfortable ordeal for everyone else…we've moved on, maybe we should start acting like it?"

Sami clenched her jaw, sat forward and poured a shot of whiskey. "I think you're the only uncomfortable one, Miss Jensen." She retorted, before throwing back the shot and swallowing hard against the burn.

Katelyn purposely exhaled loudly and shook her head. If one thing she was sure Sami could do, it was play with her last nerve. Here she was taking the time to try and fix them, if not for the sake of them but for the sake of everyone around them in East Pines. Katelyn knew she still had underlying issues regarding Sami, but she was willing to leave it alone, move on and here was Sami, acting like she wasn't fazed by her presence, but her actions told her something completely different. Why wouldn't she just admit that Katelyn being near or around her made her just as uncomfortable as she was? 

"Even now you still can't be straight with me?" She got up rolling her eyes. "I don't know why I even try when it comes to you…forget I did, I should've known better." She began making her way to the door before turning back to Sami leaning her elbows on the tops of her thighs and staring down at the black vinyl flooring. "Just do me a favor, when we're in the same room as each other fake a pretty smile and pretend everything is fine. Can you at least do that?"

After a short silence Sami finally looked up at her with punctured darks and a clenched jaw. "How long are you in town?"

Katelyn rested a hand on her hip. "For now, a couple of weeks."

Sami held her stare, unable to ignore that the usually seductive browns where now narrowed and radiating an unforgiving nature. "For now? Why not for sure?"

"Wow…you really are hell-bent on letting me know you don't want me here. I wasn't the one who…" Katelyn bit her sharp tongue. Instantly she clamped her eyes shut, pressing her tongue against the back of her teeth. Disappointed that she had even allowed Sami to get to her, what's worse letting her see it.

Sami raised her palm. "Christ, will you relax? That's not why I'm asking. I'm genuinely curious."

Katelyn crossed her arms to the now softened darks. "I really can't say much, Zack doesn't even know yet…just know, whatever I decide to do…." She paused, she knew she was about to say too much, quickly she tucked a hair behind her ear and swallowed hard, dropping her eyes to the floor, "Like I said I can't say much."

Sami got up sucking her top lip and slowly nodded while grabbing the now quarter full whiskey bottle. Pouring it into two shot glasses, she approached Katelyn offering one to her. She could see the worry all over the face that still haunted her and as much as she wanted to be tough and act like she genuinely didn't care, the truth was Sami did. She never stopped, but she was determined to never let anyone else know. It was time to move on… Like Katelyn wanted.

Katelyn stared at the shot glass, then at the almost pleading darks. Was this Sami's way of making a truce? Bringing her cheek in between her teeth she contemplated for only a second and gently took it from Sami. They both kept their eyes fastened on one another as they downed that next glass.

Katelyn shut her eyes and pressed the glass against her lips waiting patiently for the burn to relieve itself.

"Okay, I'm officially done drinking anymore whiskey or I'll be lucky if I'll even be able to walk out of here." She explained, coughing lightly.

Sami smiled before taking the glass from her and taking it back to her desk. "Still the weakling huh?"

Katelyn rolled her eyes with a smile. "Please, I've been living in Boston for the past two years, I'm pretty sure I could drink any of you under the table…just not whiskey."

Now Sami laughed a little louder, which instantly pushed a smile from Katelyn. She swallowed her suddenly lightened heart while leaning her back up against the office door. The urge to steady herself finally came. It only took half a bottle of whiskey.

"Is that a challenge, Jensen?" Sami asked with a cocked brow.

Katelyn shrugged, letting a cheeky grin rest against her small dimple. "Sure. I'll give you a few months to train, say we do it September twenty-eighth?"

Sami nodded with a grin. "It'll be one hell of a wedding, that's for sure."

"I know…I honestly cried when my dad handed me that invitation." She admitted, leaning her head back.

"I think Zack cried for a good five minutes…."

Katelyn laughed. "It's okay, I know it was really you."

Now it was Sami's turn to laugh once more. Soon they both stopped, locking their sights on one another. Katelyn saw a somewhat sad relief behind the dark eyes.

"How do we go from not speaking, to nearly fighting…to talking like old friends all within a minute?"

Sami shrugged. "I wish I knew. I won't lie I've replayed this moment in my head a million times over and then it happens and—"

"It didn't even come close to how you thought it would huh?" Katelyn interrupted.

Sami shook her head. "I don't know what I expected…"

Katelyn dropped her head. "I tried to not replay this…I honestly never wanted to come back."

She watched Sami's darks weaken to her admittance. She began chewing the inside of her cheek, maybe she shouldn't have admitted that but hell if they were going to clear the air why not be completely honest with the woman.

"Kate…you have no idea how sor—"

Katelyn raised her hand to interrupt, but before she could say anything her heart jumped into her throat. Sami was the one who started calling her that, and she hated that she wanted her to be the only one. Every time Quinn did, she would correct her quickly… It reminded her of Sami, when all she wanted was to forget her.  She took in a deep breath to calm the out of the blue thundering heart beats.

"I already know Sam." She cleared her throat, "The main thing is we've both moved on from all of that…not to mention you've finally gone and grown up with getting yourself a relationship." She teased.

Sami squirmed in her chair, the clearing of her throat and half smile expelling how uncomfortable she was.

"It's not a relationship…It's just casual. Like I asked before, many moons ago when we were just newly acquainted, is there a narrator talking about me when I'm not around?"

Katelyn giggled. "Yes, it's called East Pines, my dear."

Sami nodded her doubt. "Ah, yes the good old Pines. Gossip central I almost forgot."

"Regardless what you want to label it as, I'm happy for you, truly."

"She's a good woman, not to mention the best damn cardiologist your Uncle could've possibly gotten. She said this open-heart surgery is what he needs, but he won't listen to any of them, not even your mom." Sami trailed.

"Have you tried?" She questioned.

"Nadine didn't hold back in telling me the risks…well for me they outweigh the good…" Sami paused rubbing her temples, "I don't want to be the one to convince him then we lose him, and it be my fault, Kate."

Katelyn slowly closed her eyes; there it was again… The thundering throbs. Fuck, over one innocent word, really?

"Are you okay?"

Katelyn quickly opened her eyes to the concerning darks. "Yes, sorry…just heartburn." She lied, "Sam, it wouldn't be your fault…not in the slightest. Him not having this surgery is a guaranteed death sentence, at least with this surgery there is a chance we could get a hell of a lot more time with him. Would you please try talking to him about it? For our family…"

Sami clenched her jaw. "Kate…I"

"Sam, please stop calling me that." She snapped.

To her dismay that one simple word from Sami's lips had the potential to flip and turn her into complete turmoil.

Sami scrunched her brows, her confusion evident to Katelyn who kept quiet, unable to say a word while she tried to wrangle in her rushed breaths.

"What?"

Katelyn licked her dry lips. "Nothing…just please don't call me Kate…I genuinely despise it. Sorry, back on to the subject of my uncle, can you please talk to him? If, and God forbid, if it doesn't go to plan nobody would even think about putting the blame on you."

"Okay…I'll talk to him, but I'm not promising he'll listen."

"You mean a lot more to him than you know…" Katelyn assured.

She watched Sami's stare drop to the floor. "And that scares the hell out of me."

Katelyn smiled softly to the gentle admittance. "Thank you, Sam."

"I don't need a thank you…Princess, I can call you that right?"

Katelyn rolled her eyes with a following laughter. "God, you're still an ass, huh? And Katelyn is just fine."

Sami grinned. "As you wish, Princess." She replied, with a wink.

Katelyn scrunched her nose then looked at her watch. "Okay, I think I've taken up enough of your time."

Sami nodded, raising her brows to the clock above the door reading ten thirty. "Listen, what do you say we grab some dinner sometime? If not, I get it… It'd just be nice to catch up."

"I…I'd really like that…" She replied, a little hesitant.

Sami smiled. "There's a seafood place I've been dying to go to, Nadine isn't a fan, does it sound like something you might want to try?"

Now it was Katelyn's turn to smile. "Absolutely, if there's anything I've been craving recently, it's some sushi." She paused, tucking a hair behind her ear keeping her eye on Sami while she tidied the disarray of paperwork covering her desk, "Would Nadine have a problem with it? I don't want to cause any issues between you both."

Sami rested her hands lazily on her hips. "Not that it's any of her concern…but no there won't be a problem."

She grabbed her phone from her pocket, Katelyn let her eyes finally examine the tall, slim figure she used to hunger… Hell, ache for. She took in a deep breath as thoughts of Quinn crept in.

"Thank you for somewhat clearing the air with me, Sam…we needed this."

Sami nodded. Keeping her eyes on her phone while she replied to one of Nadine's texts. Putting her phone back in her pocket she looked up at Katelyn… Battling her eyes to not study and take in the one woman her heart still ached for, "Thank you for coming back…"

Chapter 10

While Katelyn followed her Uncle back out to the bar, she turned looking over her shoulder to see Sami wasn't following behind. She felt good about their talk, it was a good first step and although she tried to keep an open mind in making her final decision about possibly moving back, her interaction with Sami just validated how much she would rather be back home. Quinn quickly came to mind and her heart sank, if she even bothered to reply to her texts or call's she knew breaking her decision to the woman she genuinely loved would destroy her. Especially if Quinn decided she couldn't up and leave everything. Katelyn swallowed her hardship. That's if she ever gets in touch.

"Hey Katie, come here…there's someone you gotta meet!" Explained a now tipsy Nicole.

If Katelyn was honest with herself, she too was feeling a buzz from Sami's unlimited supply of whiskey. She made her way through the crowd and back to the pool tables. Grabbing a glass of Gin and Tonic from Terri, she looked up to Nicole standing next to a woman with sleek silver hair, her long hair flawlessly swept over to one side and draped across the other shoulder to show off the beautiful black and grey artwork across her neck, her cherry red lipstick exhibiting her pleasing smile. In that split second, Katelyn examined the woman in skinny ripped jeans and a loose fitting black and white flannel shirt that draped off one shoulder. Her sleeves rolled up to reveal arms covered in black and grey artwork. Her eyes admiring the striking ice blue eyes tucked behind thick and flawless lashes…whoever she was, she was very picturesque…not Katelyn's type but low-key every guy in East and West Pines' type, she was sure.

"Erika, this is my wonderful sister, Katelyn…Katie this is Erika, the manager slash tattoo artist of Sami and Zack's parlors." Announced Nicole.

Katelyn held her hand out to shake the new stranger's hand, but she was stunned when Erika pushed her hand away to bring her in for a hug. "I don't do handshakes girl, especially with someone I've been dying to meet."

Katelyn giggled, before breaking their short embrace. "Thank you, it's nice to meet you. How're you liking it here?"

Erika turned to the table behind her. Grabbing her blood Mary, then turned back to Katelyn. "I love it here, especially the people. The questionable stares amuse the shit out of me, let me tell you."

Katelyn grinned, nodding. "Yes…East Pines folk can be quite…what's the word?"

"Let's just say entertaining."

Both women laughed, while they took a seat on the stools by the taller tables cushioned in the back corner by the pool tables. "Right."

"Don't get me wrong the younger ones look at me like a breath of fresh air, but the older folks? Oh my…I can't help but feel like I'm a Scarlet woman in their eyes."

"Well…are you as promiscuous as your old friend, Sam?" Katelyn asked with an amused raise of her brow.

Erika giggled. "I could if I wanted…but no, I don't have time for drama."

"The old-time folks around here are used to the women being and looking a certain way, I guess." Explained Katelyn as she sipped on her drink.

Erika leaned her elbow on the table to rest her chin in her palm. Katelyn shifted in her seat, a little uncomfortable to Erika's ice blues unmistakably taking her in.

Katelyn cleared the awkward feeling from her throat. "So, you grew up with Sam and Donna?"

Erika nodded. "Sure did. I never thought I'd ever see them again…I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Sami tattooing at the convention."

Katelyn smiled. "I'm sure it was a shock to the system. Your artwork is very beautiful by the way."

Erika turned her arms over, pulling her sleeves up some more to show her work. "Thank you, Sami did much of my work in her parent's basement. Not the most ideal way to the pros, but some people gotta start somewhere."

Katelyn nodded. "I agree, and her work is stunning."

"Do you have any?"

"Oh, God no. Very much a tattoo virgin."

Erika slapped her knee. "Girl, we gotta get you in and get something on that blank canvas. Sam and I will come up with something." She said with a wink.

Katelyn waved her comment away. "I think I'm okay being a blank canvas for right now."

Erika smirked. "Well, when you're ready hit me up." She paused, looking over Katelyn's shoulder. Erika's devious smirk peaking Katelyn's curiosity, forcing her to turn and look over her shoulder to Sami approaching. Her darks smiling toward Erika's blues.

"Hey, you." Said Sami softly, wrapping an arm over Erika and kissing her on the cheek.

Katelyn watched Erika lean into the kiss, she cleared her throat, before taking a sip of her drink and looking around. She felt somewhat awkward with no explanation as to why. She let her eyes fall on Donna and Tara at the pool tables, Donna instantly caught her stare and tilted her head. Katelyn widened her eyes hoping Donna caught on to her sudden uncomfortable state.

"Are you gonna finally join us?" Erika asked, before sipping her drink.

Sami looked around, then at the bar to Zack noting to herself that the bar had slowed down. "For right now…how was it today?"

Erika shrugged. "It was good, still busy. That new kid is really getting the hang of it…he almost got all of the coffee orders right, this time."

Sami smirked shaking her head. "Take it easy on the kid, he does have potential."

Katelyn watched Erika move a stray hair from Sami's face to slick it back. Her eyes slightly narrowing to watch the two women lock in a stare. She took in a deep breath; she knew that look. While she unknowingly studied the two old friends, Erika looked to be Sami's type through and through, the tattoos, her challenging attitude, the way she dressed, and of course not doubting that they probably had a lot in common. They seemed to somewhat complement each other. Where they ever a thing? If not, why not? There appeared to be some tension there and she caught it within seconds of Sami joining them…shaking her head she turned to Donna finally approaching. A wave of relief washing over her. "Did you win?" She asked.

Donna shook her head, embracing Sami. "No, I potted the stupid black ball."

Sami laughed. "At least you potted something…remember positive thoughts and all that."

Both Katelyn and Erika laughed to Donna's playful slap.

"Oh! Don't forget, I have you penciled in to do that guys back piece with me tomorrow at ten." Explained Erika.

Sami nodded. "I know, Nadine said she might come in."

"Well, wouldn't that be delightful. Can you do me one favor?"

"What?"

"Please refrain from talking to or glancing at me, while I work. It's distracting, and we don't want Nadine getting her panties in a bunch."

Sami rolled her eyes, shaking her head. "All right. Can we not?"

Donna and Erika giggled, while Katelyn kept her eyes on her glass, slowly sipping from it.

"On that note…I'm going back to work." Insisted Sami.

Erika grabbed Sami's forearm pulling her back. She stood up bringing Sami in a little closer. Katelyn's brow slightly arched, not sure if they were aware of exactly how close they were.

"Now, Now Sami…since when do you take me so serious?" Asked Erika, her expression mocking a sadness.

Sami's jaw clenched against a small grin, her eyes daring the mocking blues. "You of all people know how it is when it comes to joking about Nadine."

Erika once again moved a lazy hair from Sami's face, and tapped her finger against Sami's chin, before resting her breaths against Sami's ear. "Sorry, boss. Won't happen again." She whispered.

Katelyn cleared her throat. God was it uncomfortable watching the 'Friends' be so damn close to each other. If she was in Nadine's shoes, she's pretty sure she would be just as worried when it came to Erika, also.

Sami glanced to Katelyn's arched brow and swallowed hard recognizing the suspicion behind the browns before stepping back. "Okay, it's getting a little busy behind the bar…y'all behave."

Erika grinned before sitting back down and grabbing her bloody Mary.

"Why do you fuck with her like that?" Donna asked through a giggle.

"Have you ever known me not to play on the tension?" Replied Erika shrugging.

"So…I was right on picking up that you were purposely flirting with her?" Katelyn asked, moving her glass from her mouth.

Erika laughed. "Absolutely dear. We've gotta spend more time together Miss Katie. You'll understand my ways…I'm not the most orthodox female."

Donna nodded. "That's an understatement. Erika is literally Sami, but the femme version. Erika, just doesn't take it further than second base." She finished with a giggle.

Katelyn once again arched an amused brow. "Honey…I can't deal with two Sami's…"

Erika giggled. "Relationships aren't my forte, and I've honestly never felt a connection with anyone enough to give them the goods. Do Sami and I have a connection? You're damn right we do…the timing has just never been there. Playing with the tension between us though…that's too much fun."

Katelyn shook her head with a smirk. "I can see this is going to be a fun couple of weeks."

"Oh, you're here for a couple weeks?" Inquired Erika.

She nodded. "For right now, but with this beautiful lady," she paused nudging into Donna. "Marrying my brother…you'll be seeing a lot more of me."

"And Sami is aware of this?" Probed Erika.

Katelyn gave a subtle smile. "I'm assuming you've heard about our little…mishap?"

Erika shrugged. "Would you be mad if I said yes?"

Katelyn sniggered. "No, not at all. It's East Pines after all, and to answer your question, yes, Sami is aware. We talked it out earlier tonight. We've both very much moved on from each other, this friendship might actually work now that there aren't any kind of feelings involved." Explained Katelyn.

"Well shit…I'll drink to that! You had my girl hooked…I don't know how you did it, but you're my hero, honestly." Announced Erika with a giggle, raising her glass and clinking hers against theirs.

Katelyn smiled while sipping her gin and tonic. "I wouldn't go that far…but I'm just glad it's all in the past, and by what I just witnessed I'm pretty sure you could hook her without a problem."

Erika narrowed her devious eyes, resting a smirk against her light cheek. "She's always been tempting. Like I said, the timing has never been right. I know her and Nadine aren't technically in a relationship, but can you imagine the drama if we slept together? No, I'm good. So, I'll just play on that sexual tension occasionally." She finished with a giggle.

Katelyn tilted her head, nodding slowly, she could see herself getting along with Erika just fine.

 

Part 2

Author's Page

Back to the Academy