Chapter 11

 

Sami got out of Zack’s car as they pulled into the fast filling parking lot of East Pines High, to enjoy the Thursday night football game against the rivals the Jackson Jackals. It was the first game for Zack’s cousin Preston to be playing as quarterback. Sami took in a long deep breath, letting the cool crisp air sooth her lungs. Her face tingling as the breeze lightly stroked against her cheeks. She watched her soft sighs escape from her before slowly dissipating into the satisfyingly soothing air. Fall wasn’t far now…

“How are we going to find these guys?” Sami asked, making their way to the already crowded bleachers.

Nicole is supposed to be mee…there she is, Nicole!”

“How in the hell did you…wait, do you guys have that weird twin thing where y’all can just sense the other or something?”

Zack laughed, nudging her.

Katelyn hugged into her grey cable knit sweater, raising her hand slightly from her crossed arms, wiggling her fingers toward them both.

“What is it about you always being late?” Nicole asked, fixing her pink and black beanie over her ears.

“Don’t blame me this time, your brother was the one driving. The damn thing is supposed to do zero to sixty in four point two seconds, he got it to sixty in four minutes.”

Nicole chuckled, wrapping her arms around Sami’s neck to press a warm kiss against her cheek. Katelyn hugged her brother, shaking his head. “She’s my baby.”

Katelyn pushed a sympathetic pout before her amused smile took over and patted his cheek. “I know, I know.”

“Shall we go get seats or what?” Nicole asked, linking her arm inside Sami’s.

“No asshole tonight?” Sami asked as they moved up the bleachers.

“No, he has to work late or something. I wasn’t listening.”

Sami winked. “More fun for me.”

Nicole slapped her arm playfully. “Damn your oath, Zachary,” yelled Nicole.

Sami laughed. Zack stopped to let Katelyn and Sami move past him to take a seat.

“What are you yelling about now, Nicole?” He asked sitting at the end of the row next to her.

She linked her arm into Sami’s, pulling her closer. “I said… damn…your…oath.

“I actually quite like my oath and it’s staying, I’m afraid,” he insisted.

“Revoke it for one night…God, just one night,” Nicole pleaded playfully, knowing it annoyed him terribly.

Katelyn leaned forward. “What oath?”

“That Sami never gets involved with either of you,” he answered.

“I have standards, sweetie. But I can’t speak for Nicole,” she replied, leaving a remanence of a smile against the corner of her lips.

Sami turned her head slowly to Katelyn. She said nothing as her smirk cushioned against her cheek, comfortable enough to show Katelyn she appreciated her sassy mouth.

Nicole tightened the wrap of her arm in Sami’s, “Be nice, Katelyn.”

“Sami isn’t so bad, but my sisters are out of bounds.”

Sami laughed, shaking her head. “Yes boss.”

Katelyn arched her eyebrow, shaking her head as she looked out onto the field to watch the coach discuss the expected plays he wanted from his team. It had been forever since she had been to a game, a little disheartened that Richard had to work, but being with her siblings and Sami might not have been so bad. It’s not like she had a choice. She was curled up on her parents’ sofa, wrapped in a knitted blanket with her case notes, getting lost in her first official criminal case that her father without word put on her desk. Both had said less than two words to each other, since the fiasco with Sami. Not that he hadn’t tried, she just wasn’t ready to forgive him. Her sister pulled her from it all, begging her to come to the game. She hated to admit it, but she would’ve rather been at the game than drowning in paperwork. Taking a small break wouldn’t do any harm, she told herself.

 “Everyone want a beer?” Zack asked, getting up.

“Yeah, I’ll have a beer and some pretzels,” replied Sami. Katelyn raised a finger from her crossed arms indicating she wanted the same.

“I’ll come with you, I forgot to grab the blankets from the car,” explained Nicole,

As her siblings disappeared into the crowd Katelyn smiled at the fast filling bleachers, the reminder of the East Pines sports fans unwavering dedication to their teams hitting her. No matter the weather conditions or unrelenting loses, they always showed up for their teams. Lightly she nudged into Sami who sat quietly.

“I want you to know, that case…it won’t go ahead. Not by our firm anyway.”

Sami said nothing, giving only a slow nod. Her fixed expression staring off into the distance.

“Sam…” Katelyn whispered.

The smoldering dark eyes rested on her. “Yes?”

Katelyn paused, her brown eyes studying the shadows that stared back.

“Kate?”

Her eyes widened. “Hm?”

“You…wanted to say something?” Sami suggested,

Katelyn gave a subtle head shake. “I…forgot what I was going to say, sorry.”

Sami smirked. “Okay.”

Katelyn chewed the inside of her cheek. What just happened to her? She rolled her eyes.

“So…my brother knows you only too well, huh?” She asked through lightly chattering teeth.

It wasn’t a particularly cold night but the crisp in the air and the metal bleachers wasn’t a great mix.

“What do you mean?”

“The oath…”

Sami grinned. “Yeah, maybe a little.”

Katelyn was aware of her shivering body as it lightly pressed against Sami’s side, but the little extra body heat was appreciated, regardless whose.

"Do you want my hoodie?" Sami offered.

"No, no. It's okay I'll wait until Nicole brings us a blanket."

"Our first date and we're already sharing a blanket? I’m going to ask that you behave yourself." Sami's eyes widened playfully, a grin forming.

Katelyn laughed lightly. "Please...you and I both know you wouldn't be fortunate enough to take me out on a date or even stand a chance of sharing a blanket with me in the manner to which you’re coasting toward. Keep those suggestions for someone they'll actually work on,” she replied, a little unsure as to why she dared to meet Sami's eyes.

"Yeah, yeah," Sami said before blowing into her clutched hands as she tried desperately to keep the warmth right where it needed to be.

"From what I’ve heard a date resembles too much of a relationship thing for you.”

"From what you’ve heard, huh?”

“Can you ever see yourself just settling down with someone, instead of these...unfulfilling arrangements you seem to be having?"

“And who said they were unfulfilling?"

"You can't possibly tell me you are happy with no feelings?" Katelyn questioned.

"Are you always going to bring up my...activities?"

Katelyn smiled, "I'm just curious as to why you have a no feelings rule."

"Maybe it’s better that way?"

She turned to the woman’s slightly pained expression, shoving the inside of her cheek between her teeth. “Maybe my brother would forget the oath if you knew you wouldn’t break Nicole’s heart because of your…terms and conditions. We all know she wears it on her sleeve.”

Sami's eyebrows raised…she knew a little of what Katelyn said was true. But she wasn't even sure she could sleep with Nicole; the oath had maybe been a blessing in disguise. Their friendship had grown into something that she would never want to lose and if that meant not sleeping with the shamelessly beautiful Nicole then so be it.

"Nah... we’re just good friends. Our agreement is, I protect her from lingering hands at Micks and she catches the approaching slap from a woman unable to accept my conditions, after the fact. I would never want to ruin that. The oath doesn't bother me."

"And by ruining it you mean sleeping with other women?" Katelyn's eyes locked onto Sami’s.

"You do know some relationships don't end by the other sleeping with someone else, right? I don't do infidelity, as unbelievable as that sounds, I could never do that to someone."

Katelyn nodded. "Yes. I know that. I guess I'm just trying to grasp the whole thing. My mother mentioned you have broken a few hearts around town."

Sami shook her head with a grin. "I don't purposely break their hearts. I assume they understand the no strings part."

"That's awfully selfish not to mention ignorant to expect a person not to develop feelings because of a spoken contract not to. I don’t care who you are, no one can control their feelings, unless…they are tough old Sami Wilson, of course."

Sami looked over her shoulder. “Of course.”

“Being that you’re my brother’s best friend, and although terribly annoying, I’m sure I’ll have to endure more of your company in the future. I’m just glad he finally found a friend like you.”

Sami chuckled lightly. “Is that a compliment?”

“Let’s not get carried away.”

“Would I be crazy to even suggest you could try and look past…some stuff and maybe get to know me? Like maybe find out what my favorite color is? Or how much milk I like in my cereal?” Sami’s grin pushed a smile from Katelyn.

“Why on earth would I need to know how much milk you like in your cereal?”

“Just in case you would ever change your mind and invite me for a sleep over, I guess.”

Katelyn’s astonished laughter could be heard by most, before quickly covering her mouth as embarrassment set in. “Oh, you are just hysterical.”

“Thank you…” Sami’s spirited grin amused Katelyn, but still as she sat there talking to Sami… She still couldn’t read her. Not even a little.

“I can’t see myself ever trying to understand how you live your life…with meaningless rendezvous with numerous women. It’s very demeaning. But I guess it’s your life.”

"I'm just not interested in dealing with feelings, and commitment...I'm happy with my life right now. Can't you just accept that and move on? Damn, it’s not like I’m demanding or asking anything of the sorts from you."

"Wow...I don't know who she was or what she did to you, but man did she mess you up."

Sami looked at Katelyn with a confusion written all over her face.

"Huh?"

"Whoever it was that put you off the mere thought of being in a relationship or even being capable of letting yourself feel anything for someone again. I assume there was someone before all of this?"

Katelyn watched as Sami's expression changed to an almost pained one, her dark browns imaging a deepened pain, the clenching of her jaw confirming her ideas. With Sami’s absent words, she knew her words had sparked some truth.

"Someone always gets hurt and I don't want my best friend to be in that list. The countless interactions you've had I'm sure didn't all end in a sweet good-bye sealed with a kiss on the cheek. Just because you're incapable of letting yourself love doesn't mean others are. You should think about that."

Sami's dry smirk and slow nod indicated to Katelyn she was right. Of course she was, hell if it wasn't for Nicole and Zack, Sami's face would be scarred from the countless slaps and occasional flying glasses.

"Just to prove little Miss Attorney wrong, I’ve had a sweet good-bye. Not that it’s any of your business. Tara will be just fine."

"Oh please."

"She will. She doesn't care and neither should you. I'm not going to hurt her."

"God, why can't you sleep with someone who I won't have to pick up the pieces, after you are done?"

Sami leaned in closer, pressing her side against Katelyn's. Her lips inches away from her ear,

"Well, who would you suggest?"

Her soft whisper caused Katelyn to turn her gaze to the intriguingly daring eyes staring back. Without warning a soft breath escaped as if being stolen. She had no idea as to why in the hell a sudden wave of arousal travelled through her body, but it did.

"I wouldn't even suggest my worst enemy."

She dropped her weakened stare and cleared her throat before swiftly tucking a hair behind her ear. As uncomfortable as the whisper made her feel she couldn't help but enjoy the overwhelming fluttering that danced inside her.

Sami chuckled, shaking her head. "Touché. Well don't worry your pretty little head, your best friend won't get hurt."

Katelyn snapped her neck to the side catching yet another smirk from Sami,

"I mean it Sam, don't hurt her. I might be a spoiled daddy's girl, but don’t doubt how quick I can go from zero to a hundred."

"Is this a bad time to tell you you’re pretty cute when you get mad?"

Katelyn rolled her eyes, ignoring the growing fluster against her cheeks,

"You make it very hard to like you, you know that right?"

Sami shrugged. "Do you mind? I'm trying to watch the game."

"Ass..." Katelyn muttered under her breath,

"I'll grow on you, just wait and see."

"I can only see my aggravation growing with you."

Sami smiled raising her eyebrows,

"Lighten up buttercup," she replied with a wink to purposely further Katelyn’s annoyance, as the twins returned.

Sami took the blanket from Nicole before laying it across Katelyn's legs and giving the clearly irritated woman another wink, along with her beer and pretzels.

"Okay, so what did we miss?" Asked Zack as Nicole rested a blanket over their legs.

"Nothing it's third down. Preston is killing it though," replied Sami not admitting her attention hadn't been on the game the entire time.

Yes, she flirted with women playfully and although her best friend’s sister grabbed her attention rather quickly, Katelyn was most certainly out of bounds, her flirting efforts were harmless. She respected that Katelyn was Zack's sister, not to mention the woman was taken. She made that own oath to herself, never get too close with someone involved with another.

 

The four of them cheered the high school team on, even though they were losing terribly, but that didn't stop the group enjoying themselves. Katelyn could feel the buzz after her second cup of beer, it was the most laid back, and enjoyable evening she had had in a very long time. It had been so long since the three siblings had enjoyed a non-formal night together, Katelyn was soon reminded why she loved East Pines and even as she sat under that one fleece blanket with Sami, they huddled together without either of them flinching with the closeness. They hadn’t said much more to each other, but Katelyn couldn't help releasing a small smile when Sami would unknowingly pull the fleece blanket from herself to cover Katelyn's legs when she felt her shiver. Sami's outlook on certain things annoyed her so easily, but she did seem to live up to the caring traits everyone talked about.

 Sami finished her third cup of beer, placing it between her feet before once again clutching her hands together, blowing into them and quickly shoving them under the blanket between her thighs. Katelyn pulled Sami's hood over her head,

"Better?"

"Yes ma'am. A hood warms my hands perfectly..." Sami shot her a wink alongside her sarcasm. Instigating a small delightful skip from Katelyn's once dormant heart.

"Glad I could help; your shivering was terribly annoying."

"It'll grow on you..."

"Again, just my aggravation will grow." Katelyn gave an eye roll, realizing her brittle smile amused Sami.

"Oh Lord, here comes Terri," interrupted Nicole as she clung her arm inside Sami's.

Katelyn watched as the spiked hair, red head shuffled down the row toward them with a bag of popcorn, she recognized her. Terri Murray. It was all coming back to her, they went to High School together, a player amongst the girls when they were in school. Her father was good friends with Arthur, of course being the Deputy Chief wasn’t a coincidence.

"Hey guys, I thought it was you. Enjoying the game?"

Nicole gave the woman a half smile as Zack scooted over to let her sit between him and Nicole.

"What's up Terri? Staying out of trouble?" He asked, stealing some popcorn and shoving it into his mouth.

Terri nodded, nudging Nicole, "Of course. And how are you my sweet Nickie?"

Nicole groaned leaning closer into Sami. Katelyn noticed a slightly tempered inhale from Sami.

"I'm fine, I was enjoying the game with good company but then you come along and ruin my good mood,” replied Nicole.

Terri laughed dryly, shaking her head, "Oh, don't be like that. Why do you always have to give me a hard time?"

"Because I can't stand the sight of you?" Nicole stated, her eyebrow arched, burning her stare into Terri.

Katelyn leaned in to Sami. "Why is Nicole giving her such a hard time?"

"You know her?” Sami asked,

Katelyn nodded, “Yeah, I remember her from high school. She was a real hit with the girls. Not to mention a phenomenal soccer player. She was always nice to me.”

“You scorn me about my actions with the women around here? I have nothing on this girl and she's been at your sister for months to go on a date." Sami shook her head before hearing her name escape the dreaded woman's lips.

"Ah, Sami. Bringing a beautiful woman to a football game for a date? You're slacking my friend."

Katelyn leaned forward to look past Sami. “Is that how you say hello to old friends?” Katelyn’s amused smirk grew with her arched brow.

Terri’s eyes widened as her grin turned into a warm smile. “Well God damn… Miss Katie Jensen,” she paused dueling her stare between Zack and Nicole, “Why didn’t you guys tell me she was back…”

Zack shrugged, Katelyn watched Nicole purposefully ignoring the questions, by keeping her eyes ahead.

“Have you been harassing my sister?” Katelyn asked playfully,

“Well…that was before I knew the one that got away had returned,” she paused with a wink,

Katelyn laughed. “One of the hundreds, I’m sure. What are you doing with yourself nowadays?”

Nicole’s eyes rolled as Sami felt her clutch tighten against her forearm.

 “How else was I supposed to get over you?” She grinned, “I'm one of East Pines’ finest police officers. Didn’t you know? I could take you for a ride some night if you're interested? Get your adrenaline flowing with a few car chases…gun fights, etcetera. Not that I ever had a problem getting your adrenaline flowing before,” she winked playfully. “I’m sure watching Sami color in between a few lines isn’t so fun. You should let me show you what a good time is, like old times." Terri held her hand out to an amused Katelyn.

Katelyn noticed Sami’s jaw clenching once again. By now she figured out that the clenching jaw was Sami holding her tongue.

"Sami’s doing just fine. It would be nice to catch up…but not what you have in mind…" Katelyn winked playfully.

Sami interrupted. “Listen, we’re trying to watch the game. Unless you ladies want to go sit somewhere else and talk, you can leave now.” She cleared an unknown irritation from her throat.

"Damn, Sami, treading on some toes, am I?”

Sami pushed a smirk. Katelyn watched that familiar dark stare change into a daring one as it zoned in on Terri’s tall, slim figure,

“Not at all, but I don’t like repeating myself…”

Terri raised her hands surrendering to Sami’s almost dare before placing the bag of popcorn into Zack's lap. "I can see Sami doesn't like the competition."

"The only competition going on is between you and your ego," Sami countered.

Terri sniggered. "Keep on telling yourself that Wilson, you keep saying otherwise but I know I am a threat. These ladies are fair game if you ask me."

Sami moved to get up before Nicole's wrapped fingers tightened against her arm stopping her,

"You can go for any one you like; I couldn't give a damn. But even attempt with these two at any God given time without their permission...me and you? We're gonna have a real problem. Now run along before I make you." Sami's hard stare made even Katelyn uncomfortable, admittedly she was slightly taken aback by Sami's usual laid-back demeanor turning into a sudden protective one.

"Whoa Sami, relax. The Jensen sisters are your forbidden fruit. Fortunately for me...Zack doesn't have a problem with me." Terri paused winking toward Zack's now hard stare,

"Terri, you should go... your father might be the deputy around here, but we all know Sami wouldn't think twice before planting you into the ground. Why instigate that?" Asked Zack.

Terri stood with a sly smile before shrugging and moving her stare back to Sami,

"I actually came over to let you know Tara agreed to come out on a date with me this Saturday." She stated, her sly smile now turning into a grin.

Nicole clutched the inside of Sami's forearm, turning to the red heads proud like grin. 

“Do you think we don’t see what you’re doing? You instigate Sami to smack the piss out of you, you press charges, then your little deputy daddy and McCluskey have all the ammo they need to shut down the parlor and skate park. So, listen, we are wise to your games and it’s never going to happen. Run along and leave us alone to enjoy the rest of the game. As much as I would pay to watch her beat seven shades of shit out of you, I’ll never watch her, and my brother lose everything they’ve worked for because of a snotty nosed fuck like you. Now leave!”

Sami leaned forward to look past Nicole and into the cocky green glare being presented, she knew the woman was waiting for her reaction, but she really had no interest when it came to Tara... Hell she would push for Tara to find someone,

"Y'all have fun, take good care of her," she replied, matching Terri's grin.

Terri shrugged, throwing her hood over her head. She waved Katelyn's way before sending a wink. 

"I don’t know why y’all think I’m as corrupt as our fathers, it was just harmless banter. Anyway, I'm sure I'll see y'all round." Terri paused moving a smirk across her cheek, "We’ll catch up when your bodyguard Sami isn't around to ruin the fun, Katie."

Nicole shivered as Terri walked away. "God, she gives me the creeps. I can't believe Tara even agreed to go on a date with her, what is she thinking?" Nicole asked, snatching the popcorn from Zack before shoveling a pile into her mouth.

"She’s harmless, I actually think she’s funny,” Katelyn stated,

"She's Sami's nemesis," Zack joked.

The group chuckled, Katelyn nudged Sami forcing her to meet her stare,

"It doesn't bother you even a little bit that Tara and Terri are going on a date?" Katelyn asked.

"Like I said, no strings. If they make it official, then I bow out and keep on living."

"Okay, bodyguard."

Katelyn rolled her eyes. Sami was still so damn hard to read. One thing she knew was, there was a darkness underneath the protectiveness Sami showed, and it scared her. Her head was telling her to keep her distance, but her heart wanted to know about the sudden darkness. Why was it there? More importantly… Why did she have to know?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 12

 

“Are you ready honey?” Richard asked as Katelyn gave herself a final check in the mirror. The beautiful fall evening called for her tailored black and red flannel. It had always been her favorite shirt, along with her light denim jeans. Comfy and casual. It was even nice that Richard dropped his suit attire for a more casual number, although it was still a shirt inside a sweater, she took it.

“Yes, sorry. Have you got the beers?” She inquired right before Richard held up the two six packs along with his charming smile.

She placed a kiss on his cheek before getting into his Lexus. “You’re just perfect,” Katelyn said biting playfully on her lip.

Richard laughed, fastening his seatbelt. “That’s what I’ve been told. Okay, where is this skate place?”

“It’s downtown, Zack said there will be a parking space for you at the front of the parlor,” she explained pulling down the sun shield, making sure her cherry lipstick was just right.

“I’m not gonna lie honey, but I’m a little nervous. These guys might be your type of people, but I highly doubt I’ll have anything in common with any of them,” he explained.

Katelyn looked over at him with a gentle smile. “Please trust me. They might all seem rough around the edges, but they are the most accepting and laid-back people you’ll meet. Their only expectations are beer and a good time.”

He laughed, nodding lightly. “I hope you’re right. Your father has been working me into the ground, I’m ready for some laughs and beers.”

Katelyn scrunched her nose. “Just please don’t try to skate, I don’t want to spend our only night off in the emergency room,” she finished with a giggle,

“All I ask is that you protect me from that firecracker sister of yours.”

She couldn’t prevent the laughter that pursued. “I can’t make any promises my darling.”

“All jokes aside though, the main person I’m a little nervous of and please don’t judge me,” he paused looking over at her. She arched an eyebrow, nodding for him to proceed, “Well…it’s that Sami character, she’s…from what I’ve heard…she can be a little…how do I put this,”

“She can be a little what?” Katelyn interrupted his stutter,

“Well…I’ve heard some things.”

Katelyn’s arched eyebrow grew. “Like? And from who?” she asked,

“Your father. He isn’t her biggest fan and I’m not too sure if I am either.”

“That’s what I’ve been hearing. They have bad blood apparently, I’m not sure what it’s about, but I’ve spent some time with her and she seems like she is pretty genuine…annoying but a genuine character.”

She watched him turn his head to her sharply,

“You haven’t been alone with her, have you?” He interrogated,

Katelyn laughed knowing exactly the stories her father had divulged,

“And what if I have?” She asked, winking playfully,

“She’s bad news, Katelyn. I don’t want you alone with her.”

Katelyn laughed at his sternness. “Oh, stop. Do you honestly think I wouldn’t try and stop something if she tried? She doesn’t seem to be how the rumors say she is. Please don’t believe everything my father says about her Richard…I’m learning that.” 

He turned to her once more. “That woman is not to be trusted. Do you know she played a part in her girlfriend’s death?”

Katelyn burst into a laughter, soon stopping when his solemn expression never faded. “What on Earth are you talking about, Richard?”

“Katelyn…I’m not joking. Your father and Marcus McCluskey told me themselves. Remember that case your father helped D.A Paul Stone with? The murder of Judge Matthews daughter? Sami was the prime suspect. It was the only case he couldn’t get a guilty plea on,” he paused gripping the steering wheel. Katelyn’s eyes watched the white on his knuckles appear, “At one point your father was ready to close up the firm and work at the D.A’s office, because of that case,” he explained taking a deep breath, “I can’t believe you didn’t know any of this. It took East Pines by storm apparently.”

Katelyn shut her eyes for a minute letting what Richard told her, sink in. She played every scenario in her head. Each word said by Nicole and Zack. Sami a killer? Not a chance, but then again, her father was never to be wrong about a suspect, yes it was his job to defend his clients but there was those he passed on. He read people better than they read themselves. She took in a deep breath,

“I don’t think my siblings would openly hang out with a killer, and I’m pretty sure my mother wouldn’t allow it never mind my father. Maybe they were just playing with you Richard.” She bit the inside of her cheek as her confusion over the contradictions ran through her head.

Firstly, Sami didn’t do relationships and this girl was her girlfriend…. Secondly, East Pines is a Rumor Mill, how is it that she’s been home over a month and this being the first time she hears anything about it? Thirdly, her mother practically begged her to give Sami a chance and spoke so highly of her. Her mother would hardly do that for a so-called killer. Soon she remembered her mother’s weekly calls a few years ago about a case Arthur was helping the District Attorney with, but after a while it stopped being the forefront for conversation and eventually not a single word was muttered.

“Well, if they were playing with me, law and politics is certainly the wrong career choice for them. Hollywood would be begging for them.”

Katelyn narrowed her examining eyes; fear was written all over her fiancé’s face. Maybe it was something to take seriously, but she knew Sami… Well, come to think of it, did she really? The night on the bleachers when Terri approached, if it hadn’t been for her sisters tightened grip, would Sami have gotten up and went as far as to hit Terri for just talking to them? Quickly she shook it from her mind and pressed her fingers against Richard’s cheek,

“Did they divulge into how she was killed?”

He shook his head. “No…I was too shaken up at the thought that a killer could be in your social circle than to ask.”

She kept her pressed palm against his soft cheek. “Let me do a little digging darling, don’t fret…just relax and enjoy yourself okay?”

She watched him swallow hard with a tiny nod. “Just don’t go poking the bear, Katie. I don’t want you to get hurt.” He pressed his lips against her palm.

Katelyn smiled softly before looking out the car window. Sami a killer? It just wasn’t something she could see…

 

"Katie over here!" Zack shouted over the music as she and Richard walked through the back door of the parlor to the small man-made skate park.

She smiled with two six packs of beer in each hand, "Here, we thought these would come in handy."

Katelyn watched Nicole jump off the edge of one of the takeoff ramps trying carefully not to spill her beer as she ran to her for an embrace,

"I'm glad you guys decided to come, I promise you'll have fun."

Zack grabbed two of the bottles chilling in a blanket of ice before wiping the water onto his jeans and handing them over. "Well...this is our skate park. It's nothing special but man do we love it."

Katelyn's eyes slowly studied the two half pipes on either side, then the countless quarter pipes, spines and pyramids. She wasn't oblivious to skate parks, it's all Zack used to do when they were kids. Then of course McCluskey shut that little project down. The brightly colored graffiti covered walls brought a warm smile to her face, her brother was very talented she knew, she just wished her father would accept the talents he possessed and stopped obsessing on the talents he wished his son had,

“Wow, this is actually pretty cool,” whispered Richard.

She smiled up at him realizing that this was probably the first time in his life he had ever been near a skate park. She playfully elbowed him in the ribs,

“No skating…I mean it.”

He laughed, nudging her lightly. “I can’t make any promises…dear.”

"No Sami tonight?" she asked, her eyes scanning a familiar Tara as she almost lovingly watched Terri grind the steel piping above one of the spines.

Zack stared at his watch. "I think she'll be here later, she's...a little busy."

She watched the suggestive smile that presented itself under his five o'clock shadow.

"Theresa's in town for a few days so she called Sami for some dinner to catch up and such,” stated Nicole as she sucked potato chip crumbs from her thumb.

"Theresa?" Katelyn asked, looking over her sister's shoulder to watch Billy spin the front wheel of a BMX countless times before landing successfully.

"You remember Theresa Kingston from high school surely?" Nicole asked, her eyebrows raising as her sister struggled,

"Oh God not the Theresa Kingston?"

Nicole nodded slowly, "Yep."

"God, I hated her, she always persisted to grab any and every guy I dated in high school. She's back in town? When did she even leave and let me guess, another Sami escapade?"

"She left about two years ago, her mom and dad moved to DC so her dad could start a new logging company. McCluskey begged him to stay to keep the money here but he refused." Katelyn watched Nicole's amused expression grow,

"And well Sami...yeah, an escapade except it lasted for quite some time, until Theresa left. They both denied it ever being a relationship, but Jesus neither of them slept with anyone else." Nicole laughed.

"Nah, they weren’t in a relationship. Sami wanted to love her, but she couldn’t. She told me herself. Told me how love is a complicated ritual," added Zack.

"I'm pretty sure she would have slept with other's behind Sami's back," replied Katelyn.

Nicole shrugged, "Actually she didn't, she was pretty hung up on her and you know this place can't keep a secret, someone would have said something if she did."

Katelyn rolled her eyes. "Theresa in High school is exactly how Sami is here in East Pines, if anything they deserve each other." Katelyn cleared her sudden disrupted throat.

Both Nicole and Zack shook their heads at their sister’s harsh words about their friend.

"Come, I want you to meet a few of our friends and please be nice," pleaded Zack.

"I can't make any promises." Katelyn masked her small smile with her bottle.

Richard put his arm around her. “I thought you liked Sami?” He whispered,

Katelyn shrugged, “I do, but like my father, I’m not a fan of promiscuity.”

It was the truth, a part of her did like Sami… In all senses Sami had yet to give her a reason to dislike her apart from the sleeping with her best friend, along with whoever else. But it was her job to protect her best friend, right?

 

Sami opened the back-door escorting Theresa to the high-spirited group enjoying the music and endless beers that had been provided for the night's festivities. The day light had finally rested leaving the only source of lighting to the line of tiki lights placed along the walls. She laughed at the sight of Billy and Zack holding Nicole, as they helped her balance on the slow rolling skate board. Off to the side she noticed Katelyn, Richard, Peter, and Tara sitting on the top of the half pipe watching Terri show off her tricks. She quickly felt Theresa intertwine their fingers, her eyes peered down on Theresa's affectionate bright blues,

"Want a beer?" Sami asked.

They had had a wonderful evening. Sami ordered take out and they drove up to Cedar Peak, it was the local make out spot that looked over the top of both East and West Pines, with the mountains and tree tops in the distance. They sat on the hood of Sami's truck and caught up on one another's stories. The sun settled in front of them so peacefully, giving the perfect view of the contrasting oranges and reds tucking themselves in for their night's sleep. It was Sami's favorite place to be and it always set the mood but the two never gave into the temptations of sleeping together this time. They talked and laughed. Sami caught her up on the parlor and she learned of Theresa getting engaged to one of the women who worked for her father at the logging company.

"Ah, you guys made it!" Zack said smiling wide before releasing Nicole to hug Theresa.

Theresa laughed shyly as Zack lifted her off her feet.

"You both been behaving?" Zack's suggestive smile leaving as Sami elbowed him in the ribs before giving Theresa her beer.

"How long are you in town?" Zack asked sipping his beer.

"I leave in the morning...Zack I love the parlor, I couldn't be prouder of you both," she explained, slightly leaning her body into the side of Sami.

"So soon?" Asked Nicole, her sarcasm certainly known by all.

"Yes, I'm afraid so.” Theresa replied, purposely ignoring the evident sarcasm. “I'm going to be a ball and chain soon." Theresa flashed her twenty-four-carat diamond ring as Katelyn and Tara joined the group, leaving Peter and Richard in a deep conversation about something Katelyn had zero interest in.

Katelyn’s eyes widened; she admitted the ring was beyond stunning as its sparkle danced around her pupils. She studied Theresa, acknowledging that she was even more beautiful than she had remembered. Her soft wavy blonde hair draping naturally over her shoulders, her blue eyes lighting her golden skin. Just beautiful.

"Let me get this straight. You are here in East Pines visiting, and spent the afternoon with your unofficial ex and you're due to be married? Sounds like the Theresa I remember. Who's the not so lucky man?" Nicole asked, moving her glare to Sami, "And I'm actually surprised that you would even go there knowing she was with someone, Sam," Nicole finished dryly.

Sami left an unamused expression as she lazily draped her arm over Theresa's shoulder. Katelyn's eyes narrowed as she witnessed the dark, warm eyes move over the sparkling blues that stared back before turning back to Nicole,

"We didn't sleep together Nicole if that's what you're insinuating, and I'm actually engaged to...a woman, she works for my dad." Theresa moved a stray wave of hair from her face, "If it makes any difference, I've changed since leaving here. I was a total bitch." she laughed lightly. "I want to say sorry." Theresa's eyes met the narrowed eyes of Katelyn, "Honestly, I'm sorry. It took me a long time to grow up out of high school."

Katelyn's strict expression softened as she watched a genuine sorrow in the eyes of the woman who caused so much drama for her in high school and thereafter,

"I can accept your apology and put it in the past," Katelyn said softly. "I think we've all changed here, except for my darling sister, she kept her bitch."

Nicole's mouth fell open as laughter filled the group. "It's not my fault people bring it out in me but...I guess I'll say congratulations." Nicole stopped, permitting a sly smile, "...and I guess I can forgive you, but damn do I feel sorry for any woman who has to deal with a pissed off you. You taught the bitch in me," she said scrunching her nose.

Sami tightened her arm over Theresa, to bring her closer and lightly pressed her lips on the top of Theresa's head, "I told you it wouldn't be so bad." The group giggled at Sami's sarcasm.

Theresa giggled burrowing her face into the chest of Sami. Katelyn was taken aback by the sudden shyness she witnessed in the woman who never had a shy bone in her body. God Sami did affect the women around her. Thank God, she wasn't one of them. Sami was intriguing but there were certainly no side effects... No, none...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 13

 

Katelyn laid back on one of the lounger’s, clutching her beer as she watched everyone enjoying themselves. She was thankful to be done with the skate boarding lesson provided by an intoxicated Zack and Billy, but she wasn’t going to complain, she hadn’t laughed that hard in a long time. Richard and Peter had found a secluded spot and kept to themselves most of the night, every now and again Richard would wave to her with a wink and smile. A sudden sorrow grew inside her, she didn’t know why, and soon an approaching Theresa pushed her unknown sadness away,

“Mind if I sit with you?” Asked Theresa, her shy tone surprising Katelyn,

“No of course not.”

Katelyn smiled as Theresa laid on the neighboring lounger,

“I’ve never laughed as hard as I did when I watched those guys trying to teach you on the board…I don’t know how the hell you managed to stay upright especially with those two somewhat training you.” Theresa giggled through her sentence,

“I don’t know either, I’m just glad I have no broken bones,” replied Katelyn.

She looked on at Theresa’s staring admiringly at Sami who sat with the others,

“Are you okay over there?” She asked, noticing a small sadness creep across the small bronzed face.

Theresa presented a half warm smile. “Yeah, I’m just dreading saying good-bye to her, again.”

Theresa’s soft sigh pushed a sympathetic smile from Katelyn,

“I was filled in a little about the whole you and Sami thing…”

“I was hooked the first night I saw her in Mick’s…that damn smirk and her relentless sarcasm…”

Katelyn rested her head back as she listened to a visibly pained Theresa… Yes, they were enemies in high school, but she felt sorry for the woman in front of her… Another woman hurt by her new found… Acquaintance? It was far too soon to classify Sami as a friend… She was her brother’s friend… And let’s not forget, potential killer. She doubted they would ever have a real friendship, the differences in how they conducted their lives couldn’t have been farther apart, and she just couldn’t see them ever seeing eye to eye completely and witness a friendship prosper.

“You know me Katelyn…I was the girl in East Pines to get everything and anyone I wanted…” She paused turning to her, “The popular one…the bitch,” she laughed lightly,

Katelyn nodded; she wasn’t going to deny Theresa’s blatant fact.

“She was the only one who…didn’t care about my family name, how much money I had. Instantly…it drew me in,” she sighed, “She didn’t try to treat me any special way because of who I was, unlike every other ass kisser in town. Either I accepted her, or didn’t.”

“Yes, I have certainly gotten that impression from her. My question is why her? Didn’t you know what she was like before you began sleeping with her? A woman I might add,” she paused, “You were ruthless when it came to the guys I would date…” Katelyn finished, making sure to push her cheeky smile assuring Theresa knew she had no hard feelings.

Theresa laughed, “I was very much aware of her sleeping with a few women around here, but I can’t explain it…she just kind of…peaked my interest and before I knew it, I was hooked. She was so easy to talk to…she passed zero judgement, I finally felt like I could be the real me and I know you of all people know that this town has an expectation on its prospering socialites.”

Katelyn nodded slowly, “So…what happened that made you just suddenly up and go?”

“Like I said, I was the girl who got anything and anyone…and the one thing I wanted more in this world but could never have no matter how hard I tried, was her heart.”

Katelyn dropped her stare,

“Yes, we have had a few discussions about that. I’m certainly not a fan of some of the stories I’ve heard. It’s almost heartless to expect someone not to fall in love because you’ve told them not to.”

Theresa nodded slowly, “It’s understandable though. Especially after what happened to her. When I finally told her how I felt…she didn’t turn into this heartless being, she…was so damn sweet about it,” she shook her head, “I knew Sami wanted to love me, we would talk about it when she would try to break things off right when her conscience would get the better of her and beat her down. But being the selfish person, I am…I always pleaded... I would lie and tell her my love would go away. Eventually the time came when I could no longer bare the torture of her dormant heart or the pain of my own any longer, and Lord knows my love was going to go nowhere if I kept her in my life. Finally, I made the hardest decision of my life and left East Pines. Left Sami,” Theresa’s pained whisper prompted Katelyn to swing her legs over the side of her lounger and lightly grip Theresa’s hands,

“I’m sorry you had to go through that, I imagined she just…threw her escapades away, like they were nothing.”

Theresa smiled softly, “No, not at all. She was very clear at the start of it just being fun…she would try and break things off as nice as she could, her sudden nervous stature was comical to be honest, but you know us women…we don’t take rejection so good.”

Both women laughed. “Before leaving, my parents pleaded with me to stay and work with The Wallace head chef and pursue my culinary career, but I refused. As much as my heart clung on to the hopes that Sami would one day return my love, I knew I had to leave with my parents and try to move on from the clutch she had on me,” again she paused, taking a larger sip from her beer, “Our connection was deeper than either of us could have even tried to explain to the questioning stares we had to endure. I had never experienced not only the physical attraction…but the emotional level of attraction I did when I began sleeping with her,” she paused, “I imagine you’re wondering why on Earth I would come back, especially now that I’m committed to someone else huh?”

“I’m not going to lie and say I hadn’t thought about it,” Katelyn replied, fearful of her abrupt tone, she softly scrunched her nose,

“I…I needed to come back. Don’t get me wrong, I’m absolutely committed to Denise, but…I needed closure, and I know, her not falling for me should have been enough but, it never was.”

Katelyn nodded, “Did you get the closure you needed?”

Theresa smiled, as she ran her fingers through her soft blonde curls, “Yes…we talked a lot this afternoon…she gave me everything I needed.”

Katelyn swallowed hard as she listened intently to the painful sentences being spoken to her. She couldn’t help the lingering thoughts of exactly how dangerous Sami was… She effected the woman in front of her like she had never even known… Quickly Katelyn couldn’t help but wonder why Richard had never affected her in such a way... Not even close.

“I’m glad she gave you the closure you needed, it’s the least she could do.”

Theresa nodded slowly, “She really is a good person, I just wish she would see it. Since the bullshit with Christine… Ugh,” Theresa shrugged, “I think if none of that happened, I would have dealt with a different Sami.”

Katelyn’s eyebrow quickly arched, “Christine?”

Theresa looked at her, visibly confused, “Wait…oh God, you weren’t here through all of that,”

Katelyn began chewing the inside of her cheek, “No, but would you maybe want to tell me? Everybody else is refusing.”

Theresa shook her head, “Sorry Katie, I can’t. We all agreed that Sami would be the only one to tell anyone about it…I hope you understand.”

She sighed, rolling her eyes slightly, “Yeah, that’s what I keep hearing,” she replied nudging her old high school nemesis playfully.

 

 

Sami stood with her back against the half pipe staring at her watch, a small dread moved over her. She looked up at Theresa sitting on a board talking to Nicole and the others. A part of her didn't want her to leave. She felt a deepness for the woman, maybe it was because they had grown so close in such a short period of time. Theresa had been the first woman who dared Sami to shrug her off. She missed her friend.

Sami sighed deeply before being joined by Katelyn as she bent down to grab a beer from the ice bucket,

"What're you doing all the way over here by yourself?" she asked,

"Just chilling. I’m surprised to see Richard here. He looks like he’s enjoying himself, even if it’s only a party of two with him and Peter."

Katelyn shook her head, "This really isn't his kind of scene at all. I’m just happy he made the effort of trying to socialize with some of my friends."

"I didn't think this would be your kind of scene." Sami pushed off the side of the half pipe, now leaning on her side to face Katelyn.

Katelyn was suddenly lost in thought as the darkened eyes slowly traced her face,

"Don't assume that just because I don't skate and have tattoos doesn't mean I don't enjoy a good party."

Sami smirked lazily, "My bad for assuming,"

Katelyn stared to the floor, enjoying the lazy smirk that rested on the face in front of her.

"So, you and Theresa huh?"

Sami laughed lightly as she readied to endure the usual grilling from Katelyn,

"That was a long time ago...don't worry she isn't a new one to my list."

"I wasn't going to say anything about that actually." She watched as Sami's dark eyes widened, revealing a small smile from them, "I heard you didn't sleep with anyone while she was around."

"You heard, huh? Is there a narrator like you see in the movies talking about me while I'm not around?"

Katelyn shook her head unable to stop the small giggle. "I'm just going to ask, and you don't have to pretend to me but are we talking love when it comes to her and you possibly…being too afraid to admit it? Zack said you didn’t but, why wouldn’t you end the arrangement like the others when you knew she loved you?"

Sami cleared her throat, “She was the one I told you about at the football game...she gave me the sweet good-bye."

"But...you continued to sleep with her knowing she loved you, right? I thought once feelings were involved you bowed out?"

Sami clenched her jaw nodding slowly, "Damn, I can't get anything past you huh?"

Katelyn smirked shrugging her shoulders, "I'm an attorney, what do you expect?"

Sami laughed, "We were friends before anything happened…really good friends…with real good benefits," she said with a spreading smirk, “Love never came,” she finished regretfully.

 

Katelyn crossed her arms tucking her beer between them as she listened to what seemed like the mysterious Sami Wilson opening up to her, but before another word could be muttered Theresa quickly ran over interrupting the personal conversation, as she grabbed Sami's arm, pulling her gently,

"Come dance with me, lets show these novices how it's done one last time."

Katelyn watched Sami reluctantly let her pull her away.

Surely Sami doesn't dance? She asked herself as she listened on to that all too familiar hip hop song that had everyone moving over and dancing together. She watched intently as Theresa danced with her back to Sami, suggestively rubbing against her. Their bodies moved seductively, rubbing slowly, keeping with the deep slow bass as it pumped through the speakers. God, she could dance. Katelyn's eyes widened as she watched Sami move, unable to rip herself away. She felt her bottom lip slide in between her teeth. Quickly she cleared her throat as the unexpected heat that built inside her moved to her flustered cheeks. Watching Sami's body move to the music affected her enough to pull her into a trance. The lingering fingers that traced the sides of Theresa's seductive motions, enthralled her. Lightly Katelyn pressed her fingers against the side of her neck, tracing it lightly. Her heart out of nowhere pounded, she swallowed hard. A sudden knot built as she watched Theresa turn to Sami and slowly slide her hands under the buttoned flannel shirt, their eyes locked as their bodies grinded slower than the beat. She observed Theresa's eyes as they held Sami's affectionate stare while her lips synced the words of the song. Katelyn was sure the two were going to kiss right there on the floor, but then Billy grabbed her hand promptly disrupting her trance on the dancing women.

“Come dance with us, loner,” he said as he pulled her toward the rest of them.

 Katelyn dropped her head, embarrassed. The next song hit the speakers and she draped an arm over Billy before matching his body's suggestive movements. It was innocent she knew. She closed her eyes and finally let the music take over. She glanced back to Sami and Theresa... Sami's back was to her but the sight of Theresa's fingers stroking the shaven back of Sami's head forced a knot to quickly tighten. The intimacy she witnessed from the women made her wonder again… Why had she never had such an intimacy with Richard? The stares... The teasing finger traces… Christ, those seductive stares.  She struggled to remember when she stared at him like that. What was it the women were feeling that seemed to consume them?

Sami turned Theresa around to speak to Zack, suddenly her eyes locked with Katelyn's trance like stare. Her eyebrows drew together as a smirk cushioned against her cheek. Katelyn's eyes widened realizing she had been caught. Oh God. She quickly brought her eyes to Billy's, and clamped them shut. Sami may have caught her watching, but she was just thankful she couldn't see the racing thought's that blinded Katelyn from her pondering stare.

 

  Katelyn sat on Richards lap as they all enjoyed sharing the stories from high school, mainly the dramas Theresa caused, but laughter followed instead of the all too familiar screaming matches. Theresa sat on Sami's lap enjoying the soft backrub that was being given to her. She looked at her watch before resting her forehead against Sami's, to lock in the eyes she had always submitted to,

"It's time for me to go," she whispered quietly.

The group sighed, they hadn't all laughed like that together and Nicole had finally softened,

"Can't you stay a few more days?" Zack asked.

Theresa shook her head, "I can't I'm sorry, trust me..." she paused to stare back at Sami before running her thumb across the clenching jaw bone, "I wish I could stay a few more days."

She looked back at everyone as she broke from the warmth of Sami's gaze, "It's been so much fun and I'm glad I had the opportunity to build some bridges with you all...and get some closure..." she paused looking back at Sami once again, then back to the group, "I’ll be back and I'll bring Denise for you all to meet."

Zack gave her a sympathetic smile, then got up to hug her. A playful groan escaped as he lifted her off the ground, "Take care of yourself."

Theresa nodded before hugging Tara and Nicole. She turned to Katelyn, their eyes resting peacefully as Katelyn raised up from her seat,

"Don't be a stranger," said Katelyn.

Theresa inhaled deeply, "God we'll be married the next time we meet. This whole adult thing is kinda scary."

Katelyn laughed lightly nodding, "Yes we will. Please take care," said Katelyn before embracing her former foe.

Zack wrapped his arm over his sister as the group moved away, leaving Sami and Theresa alone.

"I'll walk you to your car," stated Sami.

Theresa shook her head, clamping her eyes shut, "No, let’s say good-bye while everyone is here...."

Sami was confused. "Why with everyone here?" She moved in closer, lightly grasping Theresa's elbows when she noticed a small tear fall from her cheek,

"Because even with the closure you gave me to move on with my life, and my love for Denise...I honestly don't think I could trust myself to leave and not kiss those lips one last time if we were alone."

Sami's stare weakened. Tightly she pulled Theresa into her, hugging her, holding her tightly. A part of her didn’t want to let go but she knew she didn't return the complete love Theresa did. She loved her some sort of way but... It wasn't how Theresa wanted her to. Sami lightly kissed the top of her head. Theresa pulled away letting Sami’s palm cup her face as they stared into each other.

"Let me know you made it home safely..." Sami whispered.

 Theresa nodded, turning her lips to Sami's palm, and kissing it softly, forcing Sami's eyes to shut. Quickly Theresa gave the group a small wave before disappearing behind the side gate of the parlor. Sami looked to the ground, clenching her jaw. Katelyn watched as Nicole approached Sami... Her heart swelling at witnessing for the first time, a sorrow in Sami's eyes. She watched her sister hug Sami as Zack shoved a glass of whiskey in her hand. She couldn't help shaking her head, she as well as everyone else could see Sami felt something for Theresa, but it still wasn't love. "God she really is incapable of letting herself fall in love, if that isn’t the most dangerous person in the world…." she said to herself. If anyone was to help Sami break the rule of no feelings, she was sure it would have been Theresa. With just the glances and their dances there was no way Sami didn't care for her. Why is she so afraid to love?

***

Both Katelyn and Nicole let out a highly amused laughter as they watched a drunken Sami and Zack attempt the half pipe. They could barely stand never mind trying to balance on boards and attempt any sort of trick,

"You both need to get down from there before necks are broken!" Shouted Nicole, holding the ache of her ribs from her consistent giggles.

The alcohol had finally set in for everyone, even Katelyn. She enjoyed the sight of the two best friends holding each other up, to prevent one another from injuries,

"They're idiots," Nicole joked,

Katelyn agreed as she hugged into the hoodie Zack had given to her while the cold night settled in,

"Are you enjoying yourself?" Nicole asked.

"I am actually, everyone has been really nice, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but even Theresa falls in that category."

Nicole giggled, "I hear you sister."

Katelyn bit the inside of her cheek, "Sami looks like she’s feeling a little better after Theresa’s exit."

Nicole nodded, "I’m glad. But a part of me hoped she would’ve loved her. I just wish she would let herself."

Katelyn shrugged, "She certainly seems kind of dangerous if she is your type."

Nicole nodded, "Hell…she would be my type. She's very clear about it being no strings before anything happens with them. It's up to them if they want to hurt themselves."

"That's a little harsh don't you think?" Katelyn asked, surprised at her sister for even understanding and accepting Sami's rules.

"Not at all...that's why I never slept with her. Before Zack's oath of course. I knew deep down I would fall for her. It's a pretty simple decision to make, but you know what it’s like…she possesses a mystery about her and she’s a broken person, and us women love to fix what’s broken. She’s a challenge that no one has been able to fix," Nicole replied,

Katelyn shifted in her seat as nervousness suddenly consumed her,

“Can I ask you something?”

Nicole looked over at her, “Of course.”

“Who is Christine?” Katelyn watched Nicole’s eyes widen before turning away to look toward her approaching brother and Sami,

"You're both idiots, you could've really hurt yourselves," a drunken Nicole snapped.

"Settle down mom," Zack replied, pulling her up from the chair, "Dance with me," he demanded.

Sami sat down next to a comfortable Katelyn as she watched her staggering siblings.

"I have another hoodie in the truck if you're cold?" Sami offered noticing the shivering of the hood that huddled Katelyn.

"No, I'm fine thank you. How are you feeling?" She asked, keeping her eyes on her dancing brother and sister.

Sami nodded, "Good."

"Good."

"Okay, good." Sami added with a lazy smirk, "Wanna dance?" she asked non-saliently,

"With you?" Katelyn asked surprised,

"No, with old Rogers the local drunk."

Katelyn rolled her eyes struggling to keep the small smile that wanted to rest against her lips.

"Rude," she whispered.

Sami stood up holding her hand out to Katelyn, "Come dance."

Katelyn bit the inside of her cheek, purposely avoiding the daring eyes that looked down at her,

"I don't dance."

Sami smirked, "That's not what I saw. Come on...Richard’s right there, I’ll be good."

Katelyn rolled her eyes inhaling deeply, "Fine...but no funny business."

"No funny business? Folks still say that?" Sami questioned with a grin,

"Shut up before I change my mind." Katelyn got up, purposely pushing past the hand being held to her. Sami shrugged and followed behind to the unofficial dance floor.

The new track quickly hit the floor, all Katelyn could muster was a small shuffle of her feet and a subtle hip sway, purposely refusing to meet Sami's stare. Sami stepped closer ignoring Katelyn's stand off-ish stature, and rested her hand gently on the hip that swayed her way, pulling Katelyn closer. Katelyn's breath rushed from her when Sami's fingers rested against her waist, her pulse causing her body to suddenly throb. She could feel Sami's body move easily to the bass that effortlessly eased Katelyn's to do the same. Their eyes soon met as the beat slowed down for just a moment. Katelyn couldn't help but submit to the beat and the soothing darkness that stared into her. She unknowingly bit her lip as Sami's fingers gently pulled her closer, and she didn’t fight it. Sami's thigh rested against hers. Katelyn swallowed hard, unable to break the locked in stare, questioning the enjoyment she felt as she embraced the almost now daring stare,

"Loosen up...I won’t bite," whispered Sami.

Katelyn's eyes shut as another rush of air left her body, insisting it was the alcohol and music ordering her body to press against Sami's. She was thankful the beat was fast, God what would a slow song do to her? The small electricity her body felt as Sami's fingers traced her hips unintentionally awakened something inside her, soon, without warning her body's motions fell under the command of the woman in front of her. She closed her eyes trying aimlessly to think of Richard as her hips drew closer to Sami. Slowly she opened to the warm smiling eyes that continued to stare into her. The song finally ended but her ears rang, and not from the bass but from the pounding of her heart. What the hell had just happened?

"Damn, you can dance. I’m glad you finally loosened up toward the end," stated Sami, dropping her hands from the woman's hips.

Katelyn inhaled deeply as she tried to calm the storm inside her,

"It's compulsory for Royalty to take dancing lessons." A slow cheeky smile appeared.

Sami smiled, "Thanks for the dance... Your Majesty."

Sami mocked a bow then left Katelyn standing there. Oblivious to the reaction her touch had created. Katelyn watched her walk away, and quickly she wrapped her fingers over her stomach as an unnerving knot tightened inside her, "Please God, don't let me be effected by this woman...." she whispered to herself. The dance left her flustered... Her hearts relentless pounding left subtle echo's in her ears. Those simple, innocent, soft brushes from Sami's finger's left an aching trail behind them. No…

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 14

 

Katelyn sat behind her cherry wood, executive desk her father had specially ordered for her. Her latest criminal case was a success, making the back and forth commute to the surrounding cities worth it. She pinched the bridge of her nose as the lingering headache that morning had finally set in. Pulling the top-drawer open, she snatched the rolling pain pill bottle, popped two in her mouth and washed them down with her iced mocha that Richard had so thoughtfully delivered to her earlier that day. Slowly she spun her chair to the large window behind her, the golden and red leaves fell effortlessly onto the ground beneath her, as the bright blue sky reflected the suns delicate warmth against her face. She pressed a smile against her cheek, the cozy sweater, and hot chocolate months were nearly upon her. Her bliss filled daydream was interrupted by the harsh buzz that pierced her ears, undoing the pain pills progress. She turned to her desk pushing the speak button,

“Yes, Candice?”

“Sorry to bother you Miss Jensen, but your sister is here demanding to see you. She wouldn’t listen when I told her you were busy...”

Katelyn smiled knowing exactly how that conversation would have gone down between her fresh out of college secretary and her demanding sister,

“It’s okay Candice, let her through but if anyone else calls tell them I’m out of the office.”

Her door opened to Nicole with a brown paper bag and two coffees stuffed between her forearm and stomach.

Katelyn got up quickly to help. “I didn’t expect to see you today. Are we having lunch?” Katelyn asked,

Nicole nodded, placing the bag on the desk to unravel her scarf. Katelyn couldn’t prevent her giggle. Nicole’s hair was a mess, the wind had certainly done a number on her and to say Nicole didn’t look impressed was an understatement.

“I swear, I hate fall,” Nicole stated, throwing her scarf and coat over the chair in front of her. Katelyn moved behind her desk, taking a seat and sliding a coffee across it,

“Don’t say that. It’s beautiful.”

“Beautiful my ass,” stated Nicole.

Katelyn giggled behind her coffee cup. “So, what do I owe for having the pleasure of your company?” Asked Katelyn as she watched Nicole placing their food cartons from the local Chinese restaurant in front of her. A soft relieved sigh followed. She hadn't had the chance to eat all day.

“I haven’t seen you in a few days or heard from you since the skate park. I wanted to make sure you were at the very least alive. I tried calling but you clearly ignored.”

“I’m sorry Nic, I’ve been so busy, out of town all day and then getting home late. Trust me, even Richard’s been making comments here and there about it,” replied Katelyn.

“That’s understandable. So, I have something to tell you...”

"Here we go."

"No, seriously Katelyn. I don't know what to do."

Katelyn trailed her eyes from her sweet and sour chicken to the concerning expression of her sister. "What's wrong?"

"So... Zack caught Billy snorting lines in the skate park during his lunch break."

Katelyn nearly spat out her lunch. “Tell me you're kidding! Doesn’t he realize his probation officer is ordered to test him every few weeks? That will land him right back inside!”

“That’s what Zack told him, but evidently he has some synthetic stuff that he straps to his leg and told him to stop worrying. Zack was livid to say the least, they haven’t spoken, and he still hasn’t told Sami,” explained Nicole.

“God, he can be such an idiot. They swab for that shit especially since it’s what he got busted for in the first place. I’m sure if he was honest with Sam, she would appreciate that more than going behind her back.”

“Are you high? She will hit the roof if she even gets wind of knowing he is working on people while high as a kite. Zack doesn’t want him getting fired, especially while he’s trying to get his life together.”

“And going back to snorting coke is the way of doing that? Nicole it’s Zack’s business and reputation on the line too, he has to say something. We were all there when Sam told him her conditions…Billy gave her his word that he wouldn’t let her down.”

“I know, trust I know. But he won’t and I kinda don’t want to be the one to tell Sami. I don’t want Billy to lose everything, it’s certainly a rock and a hard place kind of situation.”

Katelyn shook her head, she understood their predicament, but she knew what he was doing had to be stopped. After all, it’s her brother’s business on the line… She knew she would never be able to sit back and wait until Billy messed up enough that he couldn’t fix it.

“Call Sami. Tell her to meet you here, I’ll tell Candice to let her through. If she blows up, I’m sure we can convince her as to why firing him and throwing him back in the street isn’t the way to do things.”

“Christ Katelyn, there will be no talking to her, trust me. She won’t think twice.”

Katelyn waved her sister’s comment away. “Call her Nicole, just trust me.”

Katelyn’s stomach began to flip. She knew Nicole knew Sami more than she did, but she had to try and get Sami on board. Sami turned her brother around, surely, she could put her efforts into Billy and help him get off the drugs for good.

 

Full to the brim Katelyn threw the remains of her carton in the trash receptacle next to her, then stared at her watch. It was already three o’clock. She looked over at her pacing sister, who after Katelyn’s suggestion to call Sami could no longer take another bite,

“Katelyn what if she washes her hands of him? She gave him a job, gave him a chance and he slapped both her and Zack in the face. When it comes to Zack, and someone hurting him? Good Lord, you better watch out.”

“Will you just sit down and relax, I have a plan okay?”

Both jolted as Candice buzzed in. “Miss Jensen, Miss Wilson is here to see you.”

“Uh-huh, send her in.”

“Oh God…” gasped a noticeably nervous Nicole.

Katelyn pointed to one of the seats in front of her. “Park it and let me do the talking.”

Both looked up toward the knock on the door, Katelyn swallowed hard as Sami walked in. She wore the ripped jeans and navy-blue work shirt, not very formal at all but Katelyn’s eyes appreciated the sight. Sami's confused stricken face amusing her also. Cute.

“Damn. It must be serious if I’m being called into the principal’s office.”

Katelyn smiled as she sat behind her desk. “We have to talk…” Katelyn said quietly as Sami took a seat next to Nicole, who refused to even look in Sami’s direction,

“Nicole, you okay?” Sami asked noticing only a slight nod. She then looked at Katelyn with her concerned expression,

“What’s going on? Is McCluskey back to his old tricks?”

“Oh, no, no. This…we… need to talk about Billy,” explained Katelyn.

“Bill? All right, what about him?”

Katelyn couldn’t help but chew the inside of her mouth as nerves moved over her. She couldn't prevent her sudden stumbled words, struggling to find the right ones before Nicole intersected and turned sharply with tears in her eyes,

“Zack caught him snorting lines out back in the skate park the other day,” She rushed, “he didn’t want to tell you, knowing your tolerance, never mind being disrespected. But Billy’s a good guy Sam, he’s just… lost right now.”

Katelyn watched her sister’s pleaded stare noticeably burn into Sami. She moved her stare to Sami’s clenched jaw balancing her front teeth together. The fury in the dark mysterious stare, unnerving her.

Sami sat forward tracing her forehead with her thumb and index, the silence killing Katelyn. She knew she had no right to tell Sami how to conduct business, but Billy was her business too.

“Sam, I know you probably want to kick his ass and put him back on the streets but that won’t do anything but make Zack feel even worse, and put Billy at rock bottom,” explained Nicole.

Katelyn watched her sister’s gentle palm rest on Sami’s knee. The two stared at one another as Sami’s silence remained,

“Sam, say something…” whispered Nicole.

Sami pushed up off the chair, turning her back to them, pressing her forehead in her hand.

“I’ll take care of it,” she replied, her tone low.

Nicole got up crossing her arms, “Take care of it how?”

Katelyn’s shoulders tensed as Nicole’s brash tone rubbed even her wrong.

Sami spun around, her glare locking onto Nicole’s pained one. “Like I said, I’ll take care of it, don’t question me.”

“Don’t question you? This is our friend’s future we’re talking about. I have a right to know what the hell you think you’re going to do.”

Nicole’s risen voice forcing Katelyn to get up from her chair. She needed to get this conversation under control and knew she only had a small timeframe to do so,

“Okay, raised voices and getting mad at each other certainly isn’t going to help.” Katelyn paused walking toward Sami, “Sam, he needs our help to get him through whatever it is he is going through.”

She watched that familiar emotionless stare shift from her then back to Nicole,

“I wouldn’t turn my back on him, but I’m entitled to be pissed. I told him, warned him about doing that shit. He could seriously fuck up the reputation of the business that Zack and I put all of our God damned blood, sweat, and tears into.”

“I never said you weren’t entitled to get pissed!” spat Nicole as she fell into the chair, “I told you we never should have told her.”

“Nicole, stop. That would have made things worse and you know it,” Katelyn paused and looked back toward a clearly irate Sami who was noticeably finding it difficult to bite her tongue at Nicole’s un-called for attitude, in Katelyn's opinion.

“Please help him Sam. Just like you did with Zack. We could never thank you enough for that. Please just… help him,” pleaded Katelyn.

Katelyn noticed the hard stare weaken. To her sudden surprise, her heart skipped knowing that in a brief instant her soft-spoken words seemed to calm a raging storm inside Sami, even if it would only be this time, her small delight pulsed through her.

“I’m not making any promises, but I’ll do what I can…and for the record, I’m still kicking his ass. That might not help him…but it sure as shit will help me.”

Katelyn curled the corner of her mouth, displaying a small smile. “I know this is hard for you, but thank you,” she said softly.

Sami shook her head. “You ladies need anything else or can I get back to work?”

Katelyn dropped her warm stare, to the sharp tone. “No… that was all.”

Sami nodded, and just like that she walked out, slamming the door behind her. Katelyn shot a scorned look toward her sister,

“Really Nicole?”

“What!”

She shook her head, walking back behind her desk. “You really didn’t need to talk to her like she was the one in the wrong. You need to scrub up on your people skills.”

Nicole tutted, “Listen, I know how she is, she would’ve literally beat his ass and threw him out on the street. She has a low tolerance for bullshit from anyone, sometimes it’s a blessing and other times, an absolute hindrance.”

Katelyn waved her sisters comment away. “Stop over-exaggerating, she was mad yes but honestly it’s understandable.”

Nicole sat forward. “No seriously, she can get so damn hot-headed Katelyn, had you not talked some sense into her Billy’s ass would be on the streets as we speak.”

“I may have talked her down and helped him keep his job, but I don’t think I’ve prevented him from getting his ass kicked,” Katelyn replied, with a slight humor in her tone.

She watched Nicole’s eyeroll. “I’ll take what I can get at this point.”

“That reminds me, while I have you here alone…do you think we can continue the conversation from the skate park?” Katelyn asked, sipping her mocha,

Nicole scrunched her eyebrows together. “Huh?”

Katelyn tapped her fingers against her desk. “Who is Christine? And don’t bullshit me.”

Nicole groaned. “Who told you about her? And how much do you know?”

“I’m not going to beat about the bush, Theresa mentioned a Christine and Richard mentioned a murder case involving Sami so I’m kind of putting two and two together at this point.”

She watched her sister squirm in her chair, pretty much confirming what she had assumed, but she needed more, and Nicole was going to be the one to give it to her.

“Christ, our father. I swear to God he can’t let shit go!”

“Nicole…what happened?”

She shook her head. “Katelyn if Sami found out I told you she would kill me…wait I mean, well, she wouldn’t literally kill me…but you know what I mean.”

Katelyn nodded, “This is strictly between you and I; I promise.”

“Okay, well,” she swallowed hard, “I don’t know if you remember Christine Matthews?”

Katelyn sat forward placing her elbows on the desk, nodding slightly. “Briefly...we were seniors together.”

Nicole continued, “Well, literally a couple months after you left for University, The Wilsons arrived in East Pines. Christine and Sami met at one of Pines High football games. From the stories I’ve heard they were both head over heels for one another,” she sat forward, “Now this is just the short version but it’s all you’re getting. Anyway, Sami started hanging in the West side…somewhere around that time was when her and Zack met. So, I guess, Sami and Christine were at a party one night, a bunch of East and West side folks were there.” She paused taking a deep breath, “well…evidently someone gave Christine some pills and she over-dosed, I’m talking seizures and foaming at the mouth. By the time Sami got to her, she was gone.”

Katelyn eyes widened. “So…how does this turn into Sami being a murderer?”

Nicole shrugged. “She was a dealer back then…she wasn’t good people. I guess Mathers, McCluskey and dad were hell-bent on blaming it on her,” she grabbed her coffee and took a sip, “Once that all went down, and the court case was happening that’s when the East and West really split. Some from here were blaming Sami and the West folk were saying someone from the East set her up. It was a mess. Dad and her father Ron were genuinely good friends before it all happened, regardless of what Sami was getting into, dad really liked him. But that friendship soon went bust,” she sat back in her chair, “there you have it, the short story but enough to give you an idea,” she finished.

Katelyn sat back swallowing hard as she tried to put all the pieces together, then sat forward staring at her sister, “Do you think she gave Christine those pills?”

She watched Nicole shake her head profusely, “No. I didn’t really know much about her back then, but Zack was positive she didn’t, he was there. He said Christine and Sami were fighting that night, Sami stayed in the basement most of the party, he was with her. Christine was upstairs with her brother and the others. It never did add up…I guess that’s why they could never nail the murder on her…there was zero evidence, not even circumstantial.”

“And where is Christine’s brother now?”

“Your guess is as good as mine. He left town not long after…so did Sami’s sister, I forget her name. But her and Christine were practically best friends, after it all happened, she up and left too,” she replied sighing.

“Thank you for telling me, I’ll keep this between us. I’ve heard mom talk to Sami about her parents…they own the ranch, right?” She asked,

Nicole nodded, “Yeah, ever since they’ve kind of just kept to themselves. We all felt so bad for them. They lost both of their kids through it all. For a time, Sami refused to go and see them, I guess she didn’t want to bring any more pain to them than she already had, it’s just so sad.”

Katelyn nodded, her heart slightly heavier as she sat back trying to imagine what it must have been like for Sami to have lost someone she loved and then to be blamed for her death. She closed her eyes sighing deeply, “From what I got when mom spoke to her, her relationship with her parents is still pretty strained.”

Nicole shook her head, “When her and Zack opened the parlor, they started talking, so I guess it’s been a little over a year. Thanks to mom.”

“Thanks to mom?” She asked,

Nicole nodded, “She pushed Sami into going to see them. Life was moving on and they weren’t getting any younger…eventually Sami gave in and went to see them. Occasionally, she’ll go visit but I don’t think it’s the same. Not that her parents make it difficult…it’s all Sami. She just can’t forgive herself, and I don’t think she ever will.”

Katelyn began chewing the inside of her cheek, “Christ Nicole, what a mess.”

“I know…I told you she was broken, and refuses to be fixed,” she shrugged, “I still love her though.”

Part 3

Author's Page

Back to the Academy