Chapter 26

 

"I can’t believe this! You have disappointed me beyond belief Katelyn! I expected this from your siblings…but you!" Yelled Arthur as he paced back and forth across his Persian styled living room, almost wearing the threads from his one hundred and fifty thousand-dollar Ushak rug.

"Dad please, I would not have been happy…. all I have ever done; I’ve done for you. I just do not love him," Katelyn pleaded before once again being interrupted by her enraged father.

"Do you realize how much money I put into this wedding for you? To make sure it was perfect. Can you even fathom the stress that this has put your mother and I through? And now you decide you no longer love him?" An infuriated Arthur asked.

"Christ dad…. she wouldn’t have been happy at all, it would have been a loveless marriage, after all is said and done shouldn’t your daughter’s happiness mean more?" Snapped Nicole, raising from the new ten-thousand-dollar leather customized sectional that Arthur just had to have.

Katelyn wasn’t surprised at Nicole jumping to her defense, she always welcomed it.

"You stay out of this!" He yelled pointing his finger at Nicole.

Nicole stood in front of him with hands on hips. Katelyn watched on, her sister was never one to back down from him and she sure as hell wasn’t going to let it be this day, but Katelyn couldn’t ignore the foam forming on the corners of her father’s mouth, and the throbbing of his vein that protruded from the side of his neck,

"No, I won’t, she is my sister and I will not wat--"

"You have brought shame onto this family! That poor man is left heart broken and for what? For my selfish little brat to decide she no longer wants him!" He yelled, "Regardless, he will be partner in this firm, I will see him go nowhere. All of this…because my ungrateful brat doesn't know she has a good thing even when it's right smack bam in front of her!"

"That is enough, Arthur!" Screamed Gwen. She rose from her seat slamming her glass of brandy on the clear crystal glass table next to her, having finally heard enough.

Arthur looked at his wife as she wedged herself between him and Nicole. Never had Katelyn heard her yell at him like that, it certainly took her by surprise.

"Anything our daughter has done she has done it for your approval. She completed law school, for you, she chose a suitor who she knew her father would love, not who she would love. Don’t you dare speak to my children the way you just did. She does not love him, and that is all I need to hear so you accept it and move on!"

Katelyn’s heart sank as her mother’s harsh words noticeably crippled the man she held so highly.

Arthur dropped his head as he broke the almost scowl from his wife, he looked at Katelyn, her tears balancing loosely on her eye lids.

"Gwen, he was good for her.” He paused looking back at Katelyn. “Katelyn all I have ever wanted is the best for all of my children. He was a good man, He…." Gwen placed her palm softly on Arthur’s chest as she heard his throat fighting back the lump that had begun to form, her eyes worrisome,

"Arthur…." Gwen whispered closing her eyes,

"It’s okay mom…." Katelyn stood up, she bit lightly onto her quivering bottom lip as a blink released the tears to finally fall freely down her soft cheek.

"He is a good man, I will never deny that, but he deserves a woman who loves him, hungers and aches for him. We talked throughout the night…dad he was unhappy too, we have a love for one another we are just…. not in love."

 Katelyn held her father’s strong jaw in her small palm, her breath taken as she watched a tear fall from him and into her palm. She had never witnessed her father cry. In that moment, her heart felt like it had been ripped out. Her being the reason her father was broken, hurting and who was once a strong man became as vulnerable as she was, killed her.

"Arthur, our babies are now grown they are big enough to make their own decisions, they now know what is right for them. You must stop this…. this hardship you put on them."

Katelyn gripped her father as she felt him crumble into her arms from her mother’s words,

"I’m sorry…. all I wanted was the best for you all," he raised his head as his tiresome eyes rested on his wife’s sympathetic stare. He reached out his arms to embrace his wife and daughters, holding them tighter than he had ever before. Right then Katelyn knew her mother’s words had hit home for the proud man, she knew the idea of his babies being grown hurt him.

   Katelyn cleared her throat as Arthur broke his clutch, moving toward the stone fireplace, he reached for his half-smoked cigar that rested on an iron plate. Grabbing it, she watched as he dug his hand into the chest pocket of his waistcoat and lift out his gold-plated zippo. Lighting the cigar, he blew out a thick cloud of smoke, and watched as it slowly intertwined and lingered up toward the twenty-foot vaulted ceiling.

"We have come to an agreement that Richard will keep the house and I will stay there until I find a place. It is too big for me, I'm sure I can find a nice little apartment," Katelyn explained as she sat down reaching for her bottled water, her face masked with dried tears.

Arthur stared into the crackling fire beside him, watching as the flames danced elegantly around each other while he listened to his daughter.

"That is your choice Katie." He looked over at her, a small, shy smile appearing from the corner of his mouth. Katelyn smiled warmly at her father; he hadn’t called her that since she was a little girl.

"Now that we have that out of the way, Arthur we need to talk about Zack,” insisted Gwen.

"Nicole has already spoken to me about it, I have one question, is Sam coming back or has she left for good?" He asked opening the top of a globe that revealed an array of different liquors.

Nicole shrugged, "We aren’t sure, but Zack really needs our help if this business even stands a chance..." 

Arthur swirled the whiskey along the bottom of his glass.

"Has anybody tried calling her to see if she's going to grace us with her presence anytime soon?"

"It goes straight to voicemail," replied Nicole.

Arthur looked toward his wife's locked stare,

"You may not like her Arthur, especially after leaving our son to deal with the business like this, but I know her she wouldn’t leave if it wasn’t for a good reason. They have both worked so hard to get it to be the success that it is...our son has tried, he never asked for help and he still hasn’t...but he needs us. Sami will be back, I know her…” Gwen pleaded.

 Katelyn shook her head at her mother’s warming words about Sami,

"What?" Arthur asked noticing his daughters pained expression.

"Nothing," she lied, forcing a small smile.

"What is it honey?" Gwen asked.

Nicole cleared her throat as she fidgeted with the loose thread on her plaid skirt. Arthur's eyes narrowed knowing his daughters possibly knew more about Sami's exit than they were letting on.

"Katelyn, Nicole. Is there more to this story that you haven’t told us?"

Katelyn could feel Nicole’s stare; she instantly bit the inside of her cheek. She knew she was a grown woman, but still admitting to her parents what had happened was incredibly unnerving,

"I can't tell you both right now. Please, can we help Zachary through this mess first?"

Arthur clenched his strong jaw, "Katelyn?" his voice stern.

She looked up to meet his now concerned gaze.

"Nicole?" Gwen's softer voice penetrating Nicole's guilt,

"Tell them..." Nicole whispered.

Arthur placed his cigar back on its iron plate before taking a seat next to Katelyn as she fought back another stream of tears. He tucked his palms in-between his thighs leaning closer into her, keeping his stare on his wife's worrisome eyes, he sighed,

"Did Sami do something?" He asked softly.

Katelyn threw her head back, widening her eyes as she fought to keep the increasing build of tears from falling down her cheek. Slowly she let out a soft sigh.

"I think I'm the reasoning behind her leaving and putting Zack in this mess," she replied, trying to hide the tremble in her voice

"Why is that?" Arthur asked as he pulled a tissue from his pocket, placing it gently into her hand.

Katelyn took in a deep breath before blowing out forcefully as her tears fell, "Please don't be angry with me."

"It's okay, tell us my dear,” pleaded Gwen.

Katelyn looked at her mother's soft, warm understanding gaze, her pained heart pushing her tears,

"Sami…Sami and I…I’ve...developed…feelings for her," she whispered, bracing herself for her father's expected irate outburst. Arthur looked toward Gwen, his clenched jaw holding his tongue. Gwen shook her head, her narrowed eyes warning him to keep his mouth shut.

“Keep going my dear.” Stated her mother.

"Since I got here, I have been fighting with myself. Swearing she wouldn't affect me like she does the others. Then...we kissed, I told her it was a mistake, I was marrying Richard--"

Arthur raised up from his seat, staring at his wife as her pleaded stare begged him to not overreact. He turned to Katelyn, clenching his jaw.

“You have feelings for her? And kissed her?”

Katelyn swallowed, nodding lightly.

He took in a deep breath, cradling his head in his hand, while his cigar balanced against his fingers. “Katelyn there is a lot about this woman that you don’t know. I will never give my blessing to this. You aren’t the first woman Sam has led astray and you sure as hell won’t be the last.”

“I would never ask you for your blessing concerning her. There will never be a her and I. I made that very clear. But if you’re referring to what happened to Christine…you’re sadly mistaken. I know it all, and I know she is innocent.” Katelyn stated. She held her father’s hardened stare.

“Enough!” He yelled.

Katelyn watched his expression move to an almost scowl once again. “I swore to never discuss that case again…and I won’t have you come in here and try to defend your new girlfriend. Not under this roof, never! Do you understand?  Christ, I didn’t realize I raised such a fool!”

Katelyn got up from the sofa, not saying another word she sent a subtle nod to her father, before being followed by Nicole who left a slammed door behind them. Even attempting to try and explain herself or argue with him was pointless. She was numb. She knew she shouldn’t have been surprised by her father’s reaction but his almost heartless expression to her heartache had created a hurt she never expected from the man she called her father.

Gwen looked toward her husband with a disgust she never thought possible. “Congratulations Arthur, now all of your children hate you.” She got up from her chair.

“Then they can hate me…Sami Wilson is and will forever be a thorn in my side, who has poisoned my children against me. Them hating me isn’t my doing, it’s her.”

“When will you ever stop blaming that girl and look in the mirror and see that it is you doing this? You are the one poisoning them against you. They can hate you, but I will not have my children not speaking to me because the man I chose to be their father is a close-minded fool. Don’t make me choose Arthur, because my children will always win.”

 

 

Chapter 27

 

Arthur put his SUV in park and sat staring at the entrance of The Blackbeard Bar. He sighed heavily. After Gwen threw him out, he debated going to Marcus McCluskey’s, but admitting to his best friend that the perfect family persona he worked so hard to achieve was in complete turmoil was something he just couldn’t stomach. Slamming the car door shut he entered his brother in laws bar. He wasn’t sure why he chose Mick to go to, but he knew he had no one else, no one who wouldn’t judge him, or revel in his misfortune.

He let the door shut behind him as he scanned unfamiliar faces that stared back. He wasn’t a stranger to the West Pines locals, but he was certainly a stranger to the Blackbeard. It wasn’t the Prestige by any means. Eventually the friendly familiar face of his brother in law caught Arthur’s eye. Micks slight confusion was soon pushed aside by his smirk before he nodded Arthur toward the back office. Arthur tucked his hands into his jacket, letting his stare trace the slightly sticky floor, he dared to imagine what was under each step as he followed Mick into the back office.

Mick turned gesturing for him to take a seat. “I never expected to see you coming through these doors, is everything okay?” He asked, pouring them both a whiskey on the rocks, and sliding Arthurs to him.

“Yeah…” He downed the glass.

Mick sat behind his desk, studying his sister’s husband. “Look Art, if this is you trying to get me to buy you out of your fifty percent of this place. I don’t have it.”

Arthur shook his head. “No…no. Your sister would kill me if I ever tried doing that…again.”

The two laughed lightly.

“I can’t thank you enough for putting money into this place when I finally tapped out on the renovations.”

“Mick you don’t have to thank me…I’ve told you before. Although I will say, I noticed you changed your will for this place.”

Mick nodded, pouring another glass. “Is that what this visit is about? I know how you feel about her Arthur but she’s like one of my own, more so. She’s helped me and has been there for me more than my own kids ever have. I want her to have this place when I’m not here she deserves it.”

Arthur waved him away. “No Mick. That’s not why I’m here. Well, not partly…Sami on the other hand…”

Mick sighed. “What is it now? Arthur she’s been keeping squeaky clean…”

“I know…I know. Just…” He sighed. “Have I been wrong about this girl the whole time? I mean every damn person in my family…loves her. Never a bad word said about her.”

Mick smirked, placing his hand behind his head not trying to hide his sudden smugness in the slightest. “Where’s this coming from?”

Arthur rolled his eyes, hating to repeat what Katelyn told him.

“It seems…” He paused, downing the next glass of whiskey. “It seems…and this stays between us.”

Mick nodded.

“Sam and…” He cleared his throat, “Sam and Katelyn…”

Mick raised a suggestive brow.

Arthur nodded. “Yes…they…kissed, and Katelyn seems to have developed…feelings. I guess it got messy and now Sam has disappeared. I of course blew off the handle when I found out, and your sister didn’t hesitate in telling me a few home truths.”

Mick sniggered lightly. “You and I both know, you don’t mess with her cubs, Art.”

He nodded, staying silent.

“Look, I’ve always kept quiet regarding the history between you and Sam. But now that you’re asking…yes, you’re wrong about her.” He paused, sliding the whiskey bottle across the desk. “The only thing you and I agree on is her ways with some of the fine women around these parts.”

“And I told Katelyn, she isn’t the first and certainly won’t be the last.”

Mick nodded slowly. “The thing with Katelyn is…Sam knows that’s my first-born niece, and she knows I would have something to say if she used one of my own like she did other women.”

Arthur pushed out a snarled laughter. “You really think she gives a damn? Please this is Sami Wilson…”

Mick put his palm up. “Yes, I believe she gives a damn and I think that’s why she’s AWOL right now. I know Sami Wilson, not the Sami Wilson you think you know.”

Arthur dropped his stare with a heavy sigh. He brushed his fingers through his silver streaks. “What do I do to fix my family, Mick? How did it get to this?”

“I think you need to sit down with them. Hear them out, and I mean really listen. Stop expecting so much from your children who are now adults and accept them for all that they are. You may have a lot of money, Art. But your family is what makes you rich. Without them, everything you have is worthless. What I wouldn’t give to be in your shoes…to have my kids want to be in my life.”

Arthur looked up; his heart heavy. “Thank you, Mick.”

Mick waved the appreciation away. “Don’t thank me. Call my sister, get her here. I’m pretty sure my nieces and nephew will make an appearance at some point tonight. Y’all can come back here and just talk…finally.”

“I don’t know…”

“You want your family back, right?”

Arthur nodded.

“Then your old stubborn ass will listen to them, and finally hear them out. I hate to break it to you, Art, but I think it’s time you learn you just aren’t all that.”

Arthur pushed a smirk, shrugging slightly. “That’s not what your sister said.”

“All right, we’re done here.” Said Mick, throwing his bar towel at Arthur laughing.

Chapter 28

 

“He’s still not answering.” Explained Nicole, throwing her phone on Katelyn’s dash.

“It’s okay. We’ll find him. If he’s not at Mick’s I’m pretty sure someone in there will know where he is.” Katelyn pulled into the Blackbeard bar parking lot.

She hadn’t given herself the time to think on how her father spoke to her, never mind the disgust in his eyes. It was all out now but, that was the last of her worries. She needed to find her brother, she needed to help him, after all it’s the least she could do.

She followed Nicole into the bar. The scent of stale ale and peanuts filling her nostrils. A few months ago, she would’ve turned her nose up at it. But now, it was the norm and it was home. She walked to the bar, and there was her uncle’s welcoming smile.

“What can I get you, teddy?”

Katelyn scrunched her nose at the nickname her uncle adopted for her since she could remember. “Can I get two G&T’s please…have you by chance seen Zack today?”

Mick shook his head. “No…everything okay?” He asked shifting his eyes to Nicole approaching from the bathroom.

Katelyn nodded slightly. “Yeah, everything’s fine, uncle Mick.”

“Well, two out of three ain’t bad…Will you both come to the back? We need to talk.”

Katelyn shifted her suspicion to an also suspicious Nicole, “Sure…”

Mick ushered them both into his office. Katelyn’s eyes fell on the two filled seats, with her parents faces staring at her. She bit the inside of her cheek as Mick shut the door behind Nicole.

“If you’re looking for round two Arthur, you’ve got another thing coming.”

He raised his palm to Nicole.

“No, will you both please just sit…I want to talk.” He explained.

Katelyn took in a deep breath, pushing her tongue into the back of her top lip. The sight of her father was the last thing she wanted to see. Nicole took a seat, but Katelyn remained standing, her arms crossed. Arthur dropped his stare to the floor. She watched her mother sympathetically pat his thigh, forcing his eyes on her stern stare. Her subtle nod forcing Katelyn to rest her eyes back on her father, sorrow in his eyes.

“Katelyn, please sit.” He asked.

She looked toward her mother, her soft stare pleading with her to soften, and with that she sat on the leather sofa, crossing her legs.

“I’m sorry…and I’m saying that to both of you.” He began.

Katelyn chewed the inside of her cheek. Staying silent. Her only concern at that very moment was to find her brother.

“I reacted in a way I never should have. I want you to both know that I’ve seen the error of my ways, and I promise you, I’m going to change. I want you to feel like you can tell me everything without the fear of being scorned or hearing my judgement.”

“And does that include Zack?” Nicole snapped.

Katelyn watched her father’s expression weaken, with his subtle nod. “Of course. When he gives me the chance, although I probably don’t deserve it, I’ll talk to him and apologize for everything.”

Katelyn swallowed hard, closing her eyes. She knew that’s all Zack ever wanted from their father.

“Katelyn…”

She opened her eyes to the now soft voice of her father.

“I’m sorry for the things I said regarding your feelings for…Sam. I dealt with it in a way I’ll never forgive myself for…I hope you can accept my apology, and I’ll stand by any decision you make even if that means you choosing to be with Sam, I wo—”

Her sudden laughter interrupting his speech. “I think you’re jumping the gun…there will never be a Sami and I. Since I got here, I’ve been fighting with myself. Swearing she wouldn’t affect me like she does the others. Then…we kissed. I told her it was a mistake; I was marrying Richard—”

It was his turn to interrupt her. “But it didn’t feel like a mistake, did it? Because if it did, I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t have felt the need to bring it to your mother and I.”

She shook her head. “No, it didn’t. But it was a mistake. I was with a loyal and loving man. Not to mention Zack, we betrayed him, especially after the oath he made her take to never go near his sister’s.”

Katelyn caught her mother’s warm smile. “He’s a good boy. He loves you both very much,” she said softly.

Katelyn nodded. “Sam’s promiscuity scares me, I won’t lie. Not to mention her incapability’s of even allowing herself to fall in love and commit to someone…which all of us sitting here know exactly why that is,” she paused, keeping her eyes on her father’s sorrowful stare. “But losing my brother’s trust scares me more so. I can’t begin to explain how pissed I am that I let myself feel these…things for her, knowing of her activities. But the more time I spent with her, the conversations…her loyalty to Nicole and Zack, and how she helped Billy finally make something of himself. She…” She paused, rolling her eyes at the sudden stabbing in her chest,

"I've told her Sami would never jeopardize her friendship with Zack for just anyone. Hell, Sami wanted to talk after they kissed. The Sami I know avoids that type of conversation with any and every woman," added Nicole.

Gwen smiled sympathetically, "I don't believe she would jeopardize it either."

Arthur cleared his throat, raising from his seat he joined her on the small black leather sofa and slowly placed an arm over his suffering daughter,

“Are you falling or have you fallen in love with her?”

Katelyn clenched her shoulder’s together, shutting her eyes as her father’s question hit her ears. She had avoided that questioning conversation with herself. Did she love her? Was Sami being her first and last thought, love? The guilty pleasure as the hairs against her skin raised at every thought of Sami’s lips caressing it, her aching surely didn’t mean she loved her, right? You’re an idiot, Katelyn. She said to herself.

“Have you?” He asked softly.

Her head screamed no, telling herself she wasn’t like the others, but her heart forced a small nod. She had already told him so much, why deny how she felt? Of course, she hated herself for even welcoming the idea of loving the tattooist but the first step on the road to recovery is to admit you have a problem, so she did.

“God sister, you didn’t tell me that part!”

Both Gwen and Arthur laughed lightly,

"Your mother and I went through the similar kind of thing before we got together."

Both Nicole and Katelyn looked at their father as if he had lost his mind. He smiled warmly as Gwen chuckled,

"It's true. I fell in love with my best friend’s girlfriend who just so happened to be your mother."

Nicole's mouth dropped open before Katelyn interrupted,

"But wasn't Mr. McCluskey your best friend?"

Arthur nodded, "He sure was," he looked at her, "The heart wants what the heart wants," he said before placing a kiss on the top of her head and looking at his wife,

"Sami and I have a history that certainly isn’t a pretty one. I hate that every story I hear about her is a good one. I don't agree with her promiscuity either, I especially don't agree with her being the cause of my daughter's tears. But if you are the reason behind her leaving, I can assume in thinking you effect Sami more than she might possibly like to admit and I know I have never been the kindest to her, but...she has certainly been there for Zack more than I can say I have. I think if you told him he would understand. If I could fix your pain I would, but only you can. Just always remember we love you…we love all three of you."

Gwen smiled toward her husband. Just when she thought she couldn't be prouder of her eldest daughter; Katelyn had found the courage to tell her father about loving another woman.

"There is no way I could tell him...I can't break his heart like that. There will never be a me and Sami. You all may trust her, but I won't put the heart of my brother on the line to even trust that she won't break mine in a heartbeat," Katelyn sighed heavily.

"But Katelyn, what if she comes back and tells you she loves you? That must tell you something, right?" Asked Nicole, her pleading eyes causing Katelyn to drop her stare to the floor,

"Nicole, stop. I want to be over her. I don't want to love her."

"That is your choice...but I tried with all my might to fight the love I had for your mother and in the end, we have a beautiful life and three beautiful children. As for her loving you, it’s not impossible, I’ve seen Sami in love. Unfortunately, I have never been in the same room to see how she looks at you, but her leaving altogether? All I can say is, when Christine died…she may have left East Pines but she didn’t completely disappear and she had every opportunity,” he stopped to inhale deeply, “And every reason to…because of me, but she didn’t," Arthur quietly finished.

Gwen’s face lit up with a smile as she looked at the slouched man, he looked almost fragile as he held his daughter trying to shelter her pain. She got up to approach her husband, resting her palm softly on his cheek. Leaning into him she rested her lips against his ear,

"Thank you, Arthur."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 29

 

"I’m completely stuffed!" Declared Sami as she pushed her plate away and leaned back in her chair, rubbing her stomach.

"I’m not surprised you practically ate the contents of my kitchen," Donna said teasing her sister as she grabbed the newly polished plate.

“You better write this down because I’ll sure as hell never say it again, but you’re one hell of a cook,” she said getting up to help her sister dry the dishes.

She watched Donna lean up against the sink, drying her hands before tossing the dish cloth at her, “So, you’ve been here damn near a month, with little to no explanation as to why you turned up on my door step. You’ve eaten me out of house and home, so…spill it.”

Sami smirked as she gently placed her plate in the rack, “Can’t I come and visit my favorite sister without a hidden agenda?”

“Nope.”

Sami matched Donna’s laughter, “I’m not ready to talk about it. I just wanted to be away for a few weeks.”

Donna nodded, speculating, “Oh, okay. Well, if that’s the case why did you forbid me from telling mom that you were staying with me when she called?”

Sami inhaled deeply, with a smirk. She knew this break is exactly what she needed. Katelyn was still her first thought in the morning and last before she would sleep, but the pain in her chest had lessened. She knew she wouldn’t have been able to keep her sanity had she stayed in East Pines and endure listening to Zack in her ear about the wedding. Sami never kept track of the day of the wedding, but she knew it would be done and old news by the time she returned. She was ready to get back to work and just in time for the Annual East Pines parade, celebrating the founding year of East Pines prosper and a good time for the locals and visitors to enjoy homemade floats, each signifying a milestone the town had achieved. Followed by a shindig at Cedar Meadows Memorial Park which consisted of everybody in town gathering together to listen to the live bands on stage, not to mention the high volumes of alcohol consumption being almost compulsory.

She raised her hands up, “Okay, you got me. Donna I promise when I’m ready to talk, we will. Can’t I just enjoy these last few hours with you before I get back on the road,”

“Whatever you need, just don’t bottle it up. That’s never good,” Donna explained, opening an envelope. Quickly she pressed her palm against her stomach. Sami quickly moved to her, trying to hold her up before grabbing the envelope. It was an eviction notice. Sami clamped her eyes shut before bringing Donna into her,

“I don’t get it Sami…I work so hard. I do everything I’m supposed to, and I continue to get kicked…”

“Shh, listen can I run something past you?”

Donna nodded, ripping a piece of kitchen paper towel from its roll to dry her eyes,

“Why don’t you come back to East Pines with me?” Donna looked up at her, “You can either stay with me, or go back to mom and dads. I can get you a job at Micks and get you back on your feet. The stuff you were running from has all blown over…come home so your family can take care of you.”

She watched the tears balance against Donna’s lids, “If I go home, I’ll be labeled a failure, Sam.”

Sami shook her head, “Are you kidding me? No sister of mine is a failure. You refused to ride on your parent’s tailcoats, so if anyone has anything to say they can say it to me. Home is where you belong. This shit hole isn’t home.”

 

***

 

Donna eyes widened as she watched the dark clouds tightly hug the mountain tops in the distance. She rolled the window down to peek her head out and let the wind hit her face, even though a storm was approaching the cool crisp air caressed her skin, her curly hair blowing uncontrollably,

"I truly forgot how beautiful it was."

"Tomorrow is East Pines Parade, a bunch of us pack our trucks up and go check it out, then in the evening we all meet up at the Memorial Park and I’m not gonna lie, it can get messy, but it’ll give you the opportunity to meet everybody." Sami took off her sunglasses before tucking them into her grey plaid shirt chest pocket.

"You hang out with the East Pines kids now?” Donna asked, sending her sister a teasing wink.

“Actually…yeah.” Sami grinned, “But these are the cool East Pines crowd. No snobs.”

“That sounds like it’ll be fun, any hot guys?" Donna asked teasingly.

Sami laughed as they entered town,

"You’re out of bounds, you’re my sister none of them will be good enough." A smirk stayed on Sami’s face as she watched the approaching dark blue storm clouds getting closer.

The sight of the red brick stores with the rustic porches hugging their entrances and the old shoe polish vendor on the corner by the old bakery with its red varnished wood and gold lettering weather worn sign, warmed Sami instantly, reminding her why she loved the rustic values East Pines held so deeply.

 Sami pulled up outside her tattoo parlor, concern hitting her when realizing the lights were off and the closed sign was up. She glanced at her watch,

"Hm, that’s weird it’s only four p.m. and the shop is shut."

Donna looked over at her sister, noticeably concerned of the confusion written all over Sami’s face.

"Why would it be shut? Should you maybe call Zack?" She asked,

“I will but come…I want you to see the place,” she insisted with a wink.

Sami opened the parlor door for her sister. Donna walked in her eyes mesmerized by the inside, immediately falling in love with the retro décor. She walked slowly toward the tattoo sketching’s and photograph’s that hung, admiring her sister’s work. She turned to look at her,

"You still have a thing for the fifties gangsters, huh?" She asked with a cheeky smile before turning back to the artwork in front of her.

"This place is amazing, Sami. You know, Christine would have absolutely loved this place." Instantly Donna covered her mouth realizing what slipped.

Sami gave her sister a warm smile, "It’s okay you can say her name, Don. This place really helped me deal with her passing, the parlor is the least I could do for her." Sami took in a deep breath as she stepped back to let her eyes appreciate her hard work, something she hadn’t done in quite some time.

Eventually she walked over to the bookings schedule to check the last time there had been a customer. Flicking through the pages she began to grow increasingly worried, Donna walked over, noticing her sister’s consistent flicking back and forth with the pages.

"What’s up?"

"There hasn’t been anyone here in over two weeks. I imagined he would take a day off for the wedding but...this long…"

"Wedding? What wedding?" Asked Donna.

"Oh…his sister,"

Donna was unable to ignore the slight resentment in Sami’s voice. She said nothing knowing only too well her questions would be ignored. Her eyes continued to study the parlor.

"This is all you guys ever talked about, you have every detail nailed," Donna rested her head on Sami’s shoulder, "She would’ve just loved it,"

Sami stayed silent, but she knew her sister was right.

"All right let’s go to my place, get washed up. Go surprise mom and dad, let her feed us until we bust then talk to Mick and see if we can get you a job. Sound good?"

Donna scrunched her nose with excitement forcing a laughter from Sami.

 

Donna got out before stretching and taking in a deep breath of the Colorado Spring trees aroma surrounding her. The West Pines certainly wasn’t as beautifully kept as East. The strategically planted trees along the roadside were nowhere to be seen. The cars were abandoned, now bank owned homes with boarded up windows were all that surrounded her. There were some homes that had been nicely kept, but those were far and few between. But she knew it was a safe haven for her sister when she needed it most. Sami knew pretty much every face in the West and over the years she had been given a certain respect by its residents.

She looked up at the sign ‘Blackbeard bar’ she was familiar with the name, it’s all Sami talked about on their weekly calls mostly, “I thought we were going to mom and dad’s first?”

Sami nodded, “Yeah, but my apartment is this places loft, it doesn’t seem like it but it’s pretty damn roomy, and perfect for me…come see for yourself.”

Donna followed Sami through the side door of the bar and up the narrow staircase and into the loft. She stopped dead in her tracks raising her arms out in front of her as if to try clutch everything in sight,

"Oh, my God! Are those recliners placed strategically in front of a beautiful fifty-inch flat screen television being snuggled by…a surround sound!" Donna screeched as she turned to Sami, her eyes wide. Sami released a laugh at her sister’s mock of a commentary tone.

"Yes ma’am, all at your leisure. I have a friend staying here, Billy. He has the smaller room, he’s a cool guy, you’ll like him." Sami grinned as her sister ran toward a recliner, falling on it before releasing a great big sigh.

“Oh? Is he hot?” Her playful wink causing Sami to laugh,

“I’ll beat his ass… and yours.”

"I’m never leaving Sami. You are officially stuck with me," Donna said as she laid out the foot of the recliner enjoying the feel of the leather hugging into her as she slipped effortlessly into an abyss.

Sami laughed, swinging the front door shut with her foot. She sat in the other recliner and dug her phone out of her pocket,

"I’m gonna try and give Zack a call," she explained.

Donna nodded, grabbing the remote for the television. Sami placed her finger against her lip ordering Donna to be quiet.

"That’s weird…he let it go to voicemail."

Sami stared bewildered.

"Do you think something’s happened?" Donna asked,

Sami shook her head. "He would’ve called me," Sami replied,

"Sami, he might have tried calling you but I’m telling you, it’s nearly impossible to get proper cell phone signal at my place, I swear you wouldn’t even be able to get through to the emergency services it’s that bad," Donna announced.

Sami looked at her watch, "All right, I’m gonna go shower. Are you okay with going to see mom and dad tomorrow? Let’s see about Mick giving you a job first and maybe he can give me a heads up about what the hell’s been going on," replied Sami jumping up.

“Of course, go take care of business first.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 30

 

"Hey Mick, can I get another one please?" Asked Zack staring at yet another missed call from Sami.

"You can’t keep avoiding her son," stated Mick, sliding another bottle of beer in front of his deflated nephew.

Zack ran his fingers through his tangled ungroomed hair, his usual pride in appearance had all but diminished and recently he didn’t care about anything. The stress of everything had finally gotten to him, and Mick knew he was close to rock bottom.

"What am I going to do Mick? I’ve let her down. She trusted me to take care of our business and I messed it all up." He stared at Mick with bloodshot eyes then to his beer, "She’s going to kill me."

"If I know Sam, she won’t kill you, she enjoys her freedom too much." A grin appeared across his face. Zack wasn’t amused,

"Yeah, thanks Mick," He replied dryly as he heard a familiar cackle coming from behind him. He looked over his shoulder noticing Jackie all over her new boyfriend, groaning he turned back to Mick shaking his head.

Mick nudged his elbow, "You might want to look over there," announced Mick his eyes directed toward the door, Zack reluctantly followed the stare.

 

  Sami opened the door of Micks her, eyes fastening on the bar, there she saw a slouched and unshaved, pale Zack staring back. He looked almost punctured. A wave of relief moving through her.

He quickly slid off the back of the stool, his nervous demeanor instantly concerning an approaching Sami as he backed away from her.

"I can explain Sam…I swear it wasn’t my fault, I’m so sorry I tried so hard…" Finally, Zack broke down.

Sami grabbed him, struggling to keep him up, she guided him onto the stool behind him. He rested his elbows on the bar as he held his head in his hands. She looked up at Mick as he sighed deeply, expressing a sympathetic smile.

"Zack..." Sami lifted his head, forcing his eyes on her.

"Tell me what happened? I can’t fix anything unless you tell me what's broken." For the first time in a long time, Sami was scared, never had she seen him in such a state.

"The guy you hired…he messed up a bunch of people’s tattoos…then I caught him stealing from our takings, so I fired him. Word spread about his horrible work and no one has been back since," Zack tried to control his tears, he couldn’t face her.

Sami turned his cheek locking his eyes to her again. The pain she saw instantly ignited an anger inside of her, she took a deep breath and exhaled slowly,

"It’s not your fault Zack, it’s mine. I rushed hiring him, I didn’t take enough time to divulge into his portfolio…Billy warned me. I’ll fix this…I’ll find that motherfucker and make him pay for what he did."

Sami wiped the tears from Zack’s face as a surge of guilt pierced her chest,

"Then I’ll work my ass off to spread the word that the parlor is back to original staff, I’ll get us clients…I won’t let you guys down again. This is on me and I'll fix it, I’m sorry," Sami clenched her jaw, fighting back her own hurt. The pain she witnessed from her friend consuming her entirely.

Zack wrapped his arms around her, "I tried calling you…But it always went straight to voicemail. Thank you for coming back Sami…" Zack whispered sincerely.

Sami gave him a warm smile as she swallowed the lump from her throat, she pulled away from him, and grabbing his shoulder she stared into his weakened gaze,

"Yeah, I didn’t realize the cell service was so bad. I got you, okay?"

She could see that the reassurance in her eyes seemed to almost settle him completely.

Zack nodded wiping his face,

"You look like a mess by the way," Sami finished with a grin.

Zack chuckled a little as he ran his fingers through his hair,

"Yeah…I’m going for the straight out of bed look." Zack replied jokingly.

"Yeah, that’s kind of working for me…"

Zack heard a small voice behind Sami. Sami looked over her shoulder, raising a brow at her sister.

“Oh yeah…this is my sister, Donna…she’s going to be staying with me. Donna this is the famous Zack," Sami said introducing them.

Zack got up off his stool holding his hand out to shake Donna’s. Sami watched his eyes studying the big brown’s in front of him. She tilted her head almost sure she was witnessing a soft blush against his five o’clock shadow.

"Nice to meet you, D... Donna," he stuttered,

"Just remember the oath now stands for you too," Sami stated, not completely ignorant to the sudden stuttering fool he turned into.

"Can I get you guys a drink?" He asked digging his wallet from his pocket.

Sami rested her hand on his, "Put that away, go grab us a table I’ll get these."

Zack nodded with a smile and escorted Donna to a table by the busy pool table.

"The usual please Mick," stated Sami,

Mick grinned, gathering three beers, three large glasses of whiskey and a bag of peanuts, Sami’s usual,

"How much do I owe you good Sir?" She asked flicking through her notes.

"It’s on the house kid. Think of it as a glad you came to your senses and a welcome back," announced Mick as his grin matched hers.

"Yeah…I needed away for a while. Life was getting a little on top of me. But, I’m good now."

Sami stood up grabbing the tray to bring it to the table before Mick placed his fist on the tray weighing it down, and stopping her in her tracks,

"I just want to say; I know you and I know you wouldn't have left if there wasn't a damn good reasoning behind it. I appreciated the little note you left but just know…if you ever run away from a problem again, I will kick your ass. I'm not here for the fun of it. You know where my door is, just walk through it from time to time."

Sami’s grin widened as she nodded, completely understanding what he meant. Unfortunately talking about the effects of Arthur Jensen’s eldest daughter, and Mick’s niece wasn’t something she wanted to tell anyone.

"You got it old guy," Sami replied followed by a wink.

Mick grinned lifting his hand, and lightly tapping Sami’s cheek with his fist,

"Enough of that old business," he said returning her wink.

 

   "I want to make a toast--" Zack pausing from the interruption of screeches behind them. Sami looked over her shoulder at the table causing the annoyance, recognizing Jackie with a guy she had never seen before.

"Care to explain why your girlfriend is all over that dude?" She asked, sipping her beer.

Zack shook his head, downing his glass of whiskey.

"We broke up not long after you left…I caught her cheating on me, with that guy," Zack snickered, "The jokes on her he’s been sleeping with Tara’s cousin Diane."

"Then sounds to me that you’re better off without her," Sami said before downing the rest of her bottle and belching, "I needed that, anyone want another?" She offered.

Donna nodded as she finished hers then slamming it on the table,

"God that felt good, bring more than one. Tonight, is a celebration." Donna cheered as Zack followed behind finally finishing his beer.

Sami got up, she approached Mick and slid the empty bottles and glasses onto the bar,

"Can I get six more bottles and six large whiskeys, please Mick."

She leaned her elbow against the bar to watch her sister and Zack joking around. A smile appearing, she was glad she came back when she did, dreading to think what would have happened if she had waited longer, Mick suddenly broke her train of thought.

"Here you go kid. Anything else?" He asked as he threw the three empties in the trash below him.

"I kind of need a favor…" Sami paused.

"What do you need?" He asked.

Sami swallowed hard as she plucked up the courage to ask him,

"Well my sisters in town, she’s staying with me, but she needs a job. She used to bar tend back in Arizona, so she has experience and she’s got the right kind of energy for the place. You’d really be helping me out," Sami explained, she felt bad cashing in a favor, but her sister needed it.

Mick rubbed his stubble, pretending to think about it. At that moment Sami knew he enjoyed her almost nervous posture. She never asked him for anything he at least wanted to be humored, she knew.

"Of course, she can. I’m always in need of staff I’ve had a few regulars helping me here and there, but a permanent fixture will help," Mick smiled.

Sami stood up on the bars of the stool in front her, leaned over and grabbed Micks bald head, kissing it.

"You won’t regret this old guy." Mick laughed, pushing her away.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 31

 

"Thank you for giving us a ride Richard," said Katelyn with a soft smile.

"If it gets too bad in there just call me. This side of the City still makes me nervous. You girls enjoy your night, after dealing with your father the week before last, you deserve it, I know I couldn’t have done it," Richard said with a grin as Nicole and Tara got out of his car.

Katelyn giggled closing the car door behind her to lean through the window,

"Yeah, I never want to do that again, anyway…thank you again, I'll try not to wake you when I come home."

"If you girls need a ride home call me, I’ll be working on a few cases most of the night anyway. You have my number," Richard said with a wink.

Katelyn smiled back at him and watched him drive off.

  She admitted it was weird that it wasn’t weird between them both living in the same house after the break up. She would even go as far as to say they had become best friends; it had become a somewhat fun and easy arrangement.

She turned toward the front door of the bar, smiling as she heard the merriment of the patrons inside. Mick’s had become a regular thing for the girls, and Katelyn found herself helping her uncle behind the bar to be enjoyable, even being hit on by drooling drunks didn’t sway her.

"Okay which one of you lovely gentlemen are going to buy me the first drink?" Nicole yelled entering the bar.

Sami instantly recognized that voice, she turned locking her stare on Nicole. She took in a deep breath. Instantly her eyes trailed toward Katelyn who walked in behind Nicole, her lengthy, light brown hair hanging gracefully over her shoulders. She couldn’t help but appreciate Katelyn’s white low-cut top that hugged her curves perfectly, and the woman’s ripped light denim jeans accentuating a certain curve Sami always appreciated. Although the view was a delightful one, the desire she tried running from wasn't as delightful, instantly causing it to come flooding back, reminding her heart who it ached, missed, hungered, and pounded for. Her view suddenly interrupted as she was met with Nicole’s fierce browns. Her stomach sank recognizing the irritation and anger written all over her face. Nicole without hesitation began approaching, pushing people to the side. Sami was no fool to the brashness in the woman’s walk. Both Katelyn and Tara were oblivious to Nicole’s detour as they made their way to the bar. Sami quickly grabbed a large whiskey from the table, downing it in record time. She leaned down toward Donna keeping her eyes on the fast-approaching Nicole,

"Okay Don, whatever happens just let it happen, I can handle this."

Donna followed Sami’s stare toward Nicole's, a smirk appearing, figuring it was another one of Sami’s girls. She always found herself amused at the confrontations Sami would tell her about over their weekly phone calls.

"Where in the actual fuck have you been? You disappear without a text or a phone call! You tell nobody where the fuck you are. Are you fucking kidding me right now?" Nicole screamed as Sami grabbed the flying wrists.

Quickly the noise fueled bar was filled with a silence as the patrons watched Nicole get further into Sami’s face. Katelyn turned to see why her sister was practically screaming the place down, her view being blocked by the on looking crowd.

Katelyn hastily began pushing past the tables and standing patrons as she rushed to get to her sister, a part of her curious as to who she was screaming at. Maybe Peter finally got caught in the act, asshole.

As she proceeded through the crowded bar her eyes suddenly locked on to Sami, she gasped quietly as her breath was once again stolen. Her heart stopping. The heart she thought she healed, without any warning suddenly shattered into a million pieces as the ache entered her chest once again. The countless hours she spent mending her heart, fighting the relentless tears, healing the heart wrenching aching… In that split second, became undone. The sight of Sami developed nothing but a painful reminder.

"Oh, and it gets even better, you leave my brother to deal with a failing business because the douchebag thief you hired couldn’t tattoo his way out of a wet paper bag! How dare you show your fucking face in here, you call us your friends, but you drop us at the blow of a whistle? Really?" Nicole spoke sharply, abruptly pulling her wrists from Sami’s grasp, soon unable to ignore Donna’s glare "Oh look...Sami’s gone and got herself another victim," Nicole’s anger increased instantly assuming her sister meant nothing.

"I, I can explain Nicole…but you have to listen to me for a minute," Sami stuttered through her now dry mouth.

Nicole's eyes suddenly narrowed. Sami knew right then she was at the point of no return. Quickly she braced herself before feeling a hard strike from Nicole’s palm reach her cheek. Zack quickly pushed her back, while Katelyn grabbed Nicole’s arms, pulling her away,

"All right Nicole if you keep that behavior up you can get out of here!" Yelled Mick from behind the bar.

 Donna stood up, placing her hand on Sami's back, and placing a daring glare on Nicole,

"Hey, why don’t we take this outside?" Asked Donna, her eyes stalking Nicole.

Katelyn’s eyes met Donna’s. She swallowed a sudden sickening resentment for Sami. She comes back with a new girl on her sleeve. Why am I even surprised? Quickly she hustled Nicole away from the group.

Sami sat Donna back down waving her words away,

"Leave it Donna, I deserved that."

Zack slid a glass of whiskey in front of her,

"I’m sorry man, I don’t know why she took it that damn far." Zack looked over at Nicole as she stared daggers in Sami’s direction.

"I’m going to go talk to her, I can’t let her get away with this. I’ll be right back."

Donna nodded him away as she fired a stone expression toward Nicole, waiting and ready to let fists fly,

"I don’t care who is who here Sam…I’ll kill that crazy bitc--"

Sami interrupted, "Don’t…she’s angry, she has every right to be." Sami grabbed her whiskey making sure to down the remains.

 

Zack walked toward his sister's table, watching Nicole trembling with anger as he sat down next to Tara,

"What the hell Nicole? Want to tell me what that was about?" He insisted.

"How can you sit with her after everything she has done?" Nicole grabbed her vodka as she tried to calm her trembling grip on the glass.

"What are you talking about Nicole? Yeah, she hired the wrong kind of dude so what? She messed up, we all do but you don’t ever see her judging us or smacking the crap out of any of us when we do!" Zack snapped at his sister’s disrespect.

"She left us without a word, she has no regard for anybody’s feelings but her own. And to be fair she didn’t tickle Billy when he fucked up."

Katelyn watched Nicole’s stare move to her. She knew Nicole was resentful mostly at the fact Sami had her heart, and clearly treating her like she treated every girl she would get involved with, especially coming back with a new girl.

“That’s completely different! I’m pretty sure Sami had her damn reasons Nicole…but look she came back. I don’t care that she left or why she left I’m just glad she’s fucking back! That is the best damn friend I’ve ever had…don’t you dare lift your hands to her again, Nicole. I mean it.”

Nicole spat, “Yeah, what a great fucking friend.” She paused looking at Katelyn’s glare. “Where the hell have you been anyway? We’ve been trying to call you. Dad is going to wire money into your account to help with the business. He’s wants to help you," Nicole’s face filled with hope.

"Tell him he can keep his money. I’m done trying to make that man proud, I don’t need him or his money to succeed," Zack stood up slamming the chair into the table,

"Y'all have a good night," he said dryly before walking back to his table.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 32

 

After the confrontation between Nicole and Sami, neither table had approached one another, hours had passed but that didn’t stop the merriments. Zack hit his glass of whiskey against Sami’s, downing yet another large.

"Okay next round of drinks are on me, same all round?" His slurred words pushing a giggle from Donna.

Sami stared into the bottom of her empty glass most of the night. She avoided to even glance toward Katelyn’s direction all night, when all she wanted was to lock in the seductive stare her heart still craved. She had been feeling better, she thought she was done fighting those demons, but the sight of Katelyn brought them back with a vengeance. Donna placed her hand on top of Sami’s,

"Are you okay Sam? You’ve been real quiet."

Sami looked up forcing a smile,

"I’m good, Don. Stop worrying."

 

Nicole approached the bar making sure to stand next to her brother, lightly nudging him with a small smile,

"Zack…." She said quietly keeping her eyes forward.

Zack turned his back to her, still visibly angered by his sister’s actions,

"Zack, please talk to me, I’m sorry I did what I did. As soon as I set my eyes on her, everything you had been going through…because of her, it all just boiled over and then…after what happened between her and Ka...” Quickly she corrected herself, “She comes back to town with a new woman." A slightly drunken Nicole pleaded, holding the back of his elbow pulling him to turn to her.

"A new woman? What the hell are you talking about Nicole?"

She noticed the confusion on her brother’s unshaven face.

She pointed to Donna, "Uhhh…her?"

Zack let out a loud chuckle, Nicole stared with a humorless expression,

"You think Donna is Sami’s new girl?" Zack asked still chuckling, "Christ…that’s her sister, Nicole…she’s gonna be staying with Sami."

He turned away as Mick placed his order on a tray.

"Her sister? Well how the hell was I supposed to know…they look nothing alike!"

He shook his head, saying nothing before pushing past her.

  "Here you go ladies."

Donna took a glass of whiskey before getting up from the table,

"Where are you going?" Sami asked, her eyebrow raised to her sister’s balance being slightly off.

"I’m going to check out what music the juke box has, any requests?" Donna asked leaning her hands on the table as the effects of the countless downed whiskeys and beer that had finally hit her,

"I’ll come with you I could definitely listen to some tunes." Zack got up, guiding an unsteady Donna to the juke box.

 

Nicole sat back down beside Tara, noticing her looking back toward the table Sami occupied,

"Well I feel like an asshole." Nicole announced grabbing her glass.

"He still won’t talk to you?" Asked Katelyn,

"Well there is that, but the girl with Sami and Zack…yeah, she’s Sami’s damn sister!" Nicole stated unexpectedly.

A surge of relief instantly replaced Katelyn's jealousy as Nicole's words escaped,

"Her sister? She never mentioned she had a sister!" Proclaimed Tara, breaking her gaze from Sami,

"I heard of her sister, I just forgot about her." Nicole shrugged.

Katelyn said nothing, deciding to just sip her vodka tonic as the relief of it being Sami’s sister and not another escapade move through her.

"I should probably go talk to her," declared Tara pushing her chair back.

Katelyn said nothing, her heart sinking at the thought of Tara talking to Sami, but after all she did tell Sami nothing would ever happen between them. She quickly felt the butterflies in her stomach turn to nausea. She studied Tara leaving, her stare breaking when Nicole’s hands reached over the table to hers. She met her sister’s sympathetic stare,

“I hate seeing the pain in those once warm eyes, Katie.”

She pushed a half smile. “I’m okay, Nic. I knew this day would come…I’ll be perfectly fine.”

 

  "Hey, Sami…can I sit down?" Tara asked, pointing to the chair beside her.

"Sure, if you aren’t going to slap me for leaving too," she replied with a small grin.

Tara shook her head, smiling warmly. "I missed you," Tara announced quietly,

Sami gave Tara a small smile, she wasn’t in the mood for that kind of company, but she wasn’t in the mood to deal with another scorned woman either,

"Yeah, I missed all of you guys too," Sami replied.

"So, you have a sister huh?" Tara’s eyes shifting to the two by the juke box. Sami looked over her shoulder,

"Yeah, her name’s Donna. She’s gonna stay with me while she tries to get back on her feet." Answered Sami, turning back to the table.

Tara reached over straightening the collar of Sami’s grey plaid shirt. Sami swallowed hard biting her top lip before pulling away from Tara’s reach,

"So, are you going to tomorrow’s parade then the after party at the park?" Sami asked,

"Of course. I’m going with Katelyn and Nicole we got bar passes, so all drinks with the vendors are free all night!" A visibly thrilled Tara replied.

"What no Richard, Peter or even Terri?" Sami asked,

"Oh my God, you haven’t heard, have you?" Tara asked, leaning in closer,

"Heard…what?" Sami asked, suspicion in her tone.

"Katelyn called off the wedding," Tara’s eyes widened.

"Wh…what?" Stuttered Sami her ears ringing from Tara’s confession.

"Oh yeah, while you were gone, she called off the wedding. They still live together but they’re just good friends. It turns out neither of them really loved each other, crazy, right?" Tara announced with a smirk on her face.

Sami’s gaze moved from Tara and toward Katelyn, desperately trying to swallow her pounding heart. "Yeah…that’s uh, crazy."

Sami’s mind moved into a blur, was it because of their kiss? She sighed with a heavy heart. Regardless if it was, Katelyn judged her rap sheet with the other women around town, not forgetting breaking Zack’s trust was one of Katelyn’s biggest fears. She clenched her jaw; the pit of her stomach sank at the thought of her feelings always falling on deaf ears. Snap out of it, Sam.

"I know, right? I guess I should get back to these guys and for whatever it’s worth, Nicole was out of line…I’m sorry she did that to you," Tara apologized and brushed her fingers lightly against Sami’s still reddened cheek. All she could muster was a small smile.

Part 6

Author's Page

Back to the Academy