Chapter 33

 

Sami was awakened by the familiar smell of dark roasted coffee, coming from her kitchen. She rubbed her eyes trying to relieve the pounding headache that pursued before letting her vision focus on ten o'clock. Quickly she shot out of bed realizing she slept in. Throwing on a pair of her ripped lose fitted jeans and a black tank top she hurried into her living room suddenly stopping in her tracks. She was met by Nicole sitting with Donna having coffee. The women looked up at a certainly rough around the edges, hungover Sami.

"Hey sis, you look…" Donna stopped as a smile moved across her face, "Need some coffee?" She asked hiding her grin,

Sami sat down on her recliner while she fumbled with her socks and shoes. She tried ignoring the presence of Nicole but unable to ignore the nervous churn in her stomach. She had no time for round two with the unpredictable woman, she needed to get out of there.

"I can’t, I’m late for work I’ll grab some from the bakery later," Sami replied before quickly getting up, frantically searching for the parlor keys.

"I know it’s probably not a good time right now Sami, but I really need to talk to you," Nicole’s soft and timid voice halting her,

"Nicole, I really don’t have the time or the money to be talking. I left Zack and Billy in a mess that yes, I know I created. Let’s take a rain check," Sami gazed at Nicole's apologetic stare before turning back to reach for her keys behind a cushion.

Nicole stood up,

"It’s not about that…I, I know Sam," Announced Nicole shadily.

Sami turned to look at her,

"You know…what?" She asked, bewildered.

Nicole sighed heavily, "I know about Katelyn…the kiss…everything," Nicole disclosed.

Sami paused as disbelief hit her, realizing only Katelyn could have told her. She shifted her eyes to Donna who tried hiding her suspicion behind her mug.

"Nicole…" Sami reached her hands toward the surprisingly calm woman in front of her, she swallowed hard, as she struggled to find the right words,

"It’s not what you think…I never planned any of it, she wasn't just another woman. I…"

Nicole bit on her bottom lip, interrupting a sincere Sami trying to explain herself.

"Sami…I will only ever ask you this once, and you have my word that this stays between us so please be honest with me," she paused as Sami sat on the arm of her recliner, "Do you or could you ever see yourself developing feelings for my sister? And I mean real feelings, like… oh fuck it! Could you ever see yourself falling for her?" Nicole finally came out with it.

Sami took in a deep breath, she looked toward Donna before letting her eyes fall to the floor,

"I think I'm going to go unpack some more of my things." stated Donna.

She knew her sister more than anyone, and she knew from the pained eyes that rested on her, this conversation wasn’t one Sami would be comfortable having, as much as she wanted to hear her sister admit she was in love with someone since the tragedy of Christine… She knew her presence wouldn’t have helped matters.

Sami and Nicole gave Donna a warm smile as she moved past them motioning to the bedroom.

"Sami…" Nicole’s voice sharpening from Sami’s silence.

"Nicole it doesn’t matter, she told me she could never be with…someone like me. I’ve accepted that and now I’m trying to move on with my life and get my business that I ruined back on track. All you need to know is…she was never just another woman."

Sami clenched her jaw, she couldn’t quite admit what Nicole was demanding to know, she could hardly admit it to herself never mind anyone else.

Nicole chewed the inside of her mouth, “You’ve showed me all I need to know.”

“What?”

“Never in all the years I’ve known you Sami Wilson, have I ever had you tell me what you just did, and the pain in those dark eyes… I’ve been seeing in my sister’s eyes since you left. Your secret is safe with me, I just needed to know… for me.”

Sami swallowed hard once again. "Please don't tell Zack about the kiss. I know I don't deserve a favor after everything...but know I never intended to kiss her, it just...I'll never act on it again, I can't lose him."

"Don't even worry about that…I just want you to know Katelyn called that wedding off for a reason Sami. Please remember that."

Nicole placed her cup onto the tinted glass coffee table before moving past Sami,

"And I’m sorry for what I did to you last night there is no excuse. I hope you can forgive me," Nicole whispered.

Sami turned her head to Nicole, her expression soft,

"I deserved it."

 

Sami caught Donna’s crossed arm's and smug expression cushioning a grin as she shut the door behind Nicole,

"Don’t even start," She demanded.

Donna leaned off from the door frame, "Whatever do you mean?" She asked with an act of innocence.

"Go get showered and come down when you’re ready, you can help Mick get the place ready while I try and fix the mess of my tattoo parlor. We’ll head to the park around six. "

“Yes boss. Oh…I called mom when I woke up. Explained I was in town and staying here.” Explained Donna.

“Oh yeah? Was she mad that we didn’t go see them?”

“No, I think her excitement took over. She wants us over for dinner this Sunday. Told me she’d have my room ready for me.” She giggled. “You know mom, wants her babies all in one nest…with her. Anyway, I told her we would be there. So, keep Sunday open, got it?”

Sami took in a deep breath and nodded. “Yes ma’am.”

***

 

"Trust me Jo I’m back for good it’ll be business as usual just spread the word. If I ever needed to call in a favor the time is now. Don’t let me down," Sami hung up her phone.

She sat in her tattoo chair, her eyes set on the empty shop she and Zack had worked so hard to create, she couldn't help but feel it slipping through her fingers. Zack stayed with Donna at Mick’s while she spent the last hour calling everybody and anybody in her phone book, three cups of coffee and a few glazed donuts later her optimism was slowly fading,

"I make one mistake," She mumbled to herself before hearing her phone ring, she looked down at the unknown number before answering it,

"Hey, Sam here…" She paused "Absolutely, do you think you could be here within the next hour? Got something in mind? .... Okay sounds great bring it with you and I’ll see you soon, bye," Sami hung up with a huge smile on her face. Finally.

She stared at her watch contemplating whether she should drive to the bakery for more coffee before her first client of the day would arrive, quickly agreeing she should get in another caffeine fix. This is my first tattoo in weeks, if I want it perfect…I need the coffee. Grabbing her keys, she rushed to her truck.

 

 "Oh, hey Cindy," said Katelyn smiling sweetly toward the bakery cashier,

"Um…can I get the usual and some of those sinful glazed donuts, please?" She asked tapping her finger lightly against her chin, letting her eyes stalk the freshly baked sins, as she liked to call them.

"Sami! You just can't seem to get enough today huh?" Cindy asked playfully.

Cindy’s words pierced Katelyn’s ears, her teeth instantly gripping the inside of her cheek. Closing her eyes, she tried calming her sudden shortness of breath. She didn’t look behind her, as much as her heart yearned for her eyes to place themselves on the tattooist, she found she just couldn’t.

Sami smiled toward Cindy before recognizing Katelyn standing in front of her,

"I’ll have the usual but extra strong."

"You've been here twice today already, should I be flattered? Or is it really just the coffee?" Cindy flirted playfully as she prepared the women’s orders.

"I gotta say it’s the coffee, you've shot me down too many times. I know when I’m defeated," Sami joked.

Cindy let out a chuckle as she shook her head before waving Sami's comment away,

"If only I wasn't married!" Replied Cindy, playfully scrunching her nose.

Katelyn rolled her eyes as she listened to the conversation behind her. She looked at her watch continuing to bite her cheek wishing she had a fast-forward button just to get her out of that bakery and away from Sami. The weeks she had spent trying to heal herself began to feel like it was for nothing, her heart once again weakening as the sound of Sami's voice filled the small bakery.

Sami's eyes studied Katelyn’s figure, a small smirk appearing, enjoying the sight of her in a tight pin striped skirt. Her pin striped blazer enhancing her figure, perfectly.

Katelyn still stood keeping her back to Sami, wishing Cindy would hurry with her order. She hated the thought of Sami being in the same room as her, hating that the pull and hold the tattooist had on her was still there. Who was I kidding? It never left. Suddenly she heard that soft honey whisper,

"Kate?"

She closed her eyes, biting down on her lip as she felt that familiar surge of electric rush through her body, her fine hairs standing up on the back of her neck. Slowly she turned to the voice, instantly becoming hypnotized by the dark brown eyes of the woman, remembering just how piercing they were. She watched the soft wrinkles around Sami’s mouth open as a small smile appeared across her face,

"Are you purposely trying to ignore me?" She asked, the woman’s beautiful browns causing her heart to skip,

"No… I was too distracted by the deserts in front of me," Katelyn lied,

"Ah, I see."

Sami didn’t believe her, but she took in a deep breath as the undeniable awkwardness between them grew,

"Are you going to the parade, then party in the park?" Sami asked, digging her hands in her pockets.

"I’m going to the party in the park but no to the parade. I’m just getting some coffee, then going to Mick’s. I told him I’d help him train your sister with mixers today," Katelyn replied.

"Yeah, the place she worked at just did beer and occasional shots, nothing fancy," Sami added, her eyes fixated on Katelyn's. God how she missed them staring back at her.

 "Are you going?" Katelyn asked, purposely keeping her tone uninterested.

"Not the parade, but I’m going to the party in the park tonight. It’ll be a good opportunity for Donna to meet everybody..." Sami paused as the small talk began grinding on her, "Listen...while I have you here...I, I...want to say I'm sorry for leaving your brother like that," Sami took in another deep breath, "I wasn't thinking clearly when I hired that other guy...I--" Katelyn interrupted the clearly nervous Sami,

"It's okay Sam. You don't have to say sorry to me, my brother has forgiven you and that's good enough for me. I just hope that...whatever the reason was that made you leave has sorted itself out."

Sami's eyes fell to the floor beneath them,

"Yeah...it's sorted. I got the break I needed, I guess folks just get burnt out after a while, but I'm all good now." Sami forced a smile across her clenching jaw, "Kate...I'm not going to bring up the mess of what happened between us before I left but...I would really like it if we could, go back to...before it all happened. You were right. I wasn't thinking about...Zack, or the consequences of my actions. I crossed a line. You have my word when I say...it'll never happen again."

Katelyn tucked her hair behind her ear, softly clearing her throat, trying to fight back the pain that formed in her chest as Sami's words danced around their kiss.

"It wasn't all you, Sam."

Sami swallowed hard, dropping her eyes to the floor once again,

"I'm just sorry. I'm not a person who lies to people, breaks their trust...I need you to know that. I know I messed up."

"I..." Katelyn studied the tired eyes of Sami. "I... don’t think you're a bad person, Sam. I'm just as guilty as you are. I’m just glad it stopped before...yeah…"

Sami nodded, “Yeah…”

Katelyn watched Sami’s expression turn to a suspicious one as Cindy placed their coffees and a small white box on the counter. She grabbed their coffees before handing Sami her own,

"What’s in the box, Jensen?" Sami asked with a smirk,

Katelyn smiled, scrunching her nose,

"Nothing for you," she winked.

Sami laughed, Katelyn’s eyes closed as a wave of, she wasn’t sure what… Erupted throughout her just as Sami lightly brushed past her moving to the condiments counter. She quickly shook it off and followed,

"How’s the cheek feeling?" Katelyn asked, stirring the creamer into her steaming coffee.

"It’s still there, I have to say I’ve received many slaps, from…." Sami paused, "Your sisters was by far the hardest," she said reaching over and grabbing a handful of sweeteners.

Katelyn’s grin grew,

"Well…as much as you angered us with your unexpected exit, you didn’t deserve that, although it did feel good to watch."

Katelyn scrunched her nose as Sami turned to her with a smirk,

"I’m glad I could make you feel good," Sami smiled.

Katelyn tapped her wet, hot stirring stick against the inked skin of Sami's arm,

"There’s a first time for everything huh?" Katelyn’s reply purposely sassy.

Sami raised a brow with her smirk turning into a grin, appreciating the hidden humor. The innocent humor she assumed, before taking the first sip from her coffee. Expressing a huge relieved sigh,

"Always…." Sami paused staring at Katelyn,

"Hits the spot," Katelyn finished smiling softly, scrunching her small nose once again.

"Before I go…I want to say, I’m sorry to hear Richard ditched you at the alter…you take care now." Sami began walking away from Katelyn not before sending a wink her way.

"Uh excuse me!" Katelyn’s voice risen as she followed Sami out of the bakery. Sami stopped, turning to her

"Yes?" She asked, her face filled with humor.

"He did not ditch me at the alter thank you very much…" Katelyn rested her box of donuts on the hood of Sami’s truck, her face humorless.

"Oh?" Sami asked with a smirk,

"Really? You want another reddened cheek?" Asked Katelyn, her brow raised as her smile matched Sami’s.

Sami shook her head grinning,

"Seriously though…I’m sorry it didn’t work out."

Katelyn appreciated the sincerity in Sami’s expression,

"Thank you but….it was for the best."

Sami smiled warmly, "I can’t argue with that, don’t worry I’m almost positive there will be someone out there to sweep you off your princess heels," Sami winked before getting into her truck.

"Yes, I think it's best you leave before I mess that pretty face of yours," replied Katelyn, before grabbing her box of donuts from the hood.

"Oh, Jensen’s all about that thug life, huh?" Joked Sami, hanging her arm out her truck window as she reversed out of her parking space, firing a wink to Katelyn before speeding off.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 34

 

"There you go!" Katelyn cheered as she watched Donna successfully execute a margarita.

Donna raised her arms in the air to high five her mentor,

"Thank you for helping me out, I didn’t think I would ever get it," Donna announced as she wiped her previous fails from the bar.

Katelyn waved her hand at Donna dismissing her thank you,

"Oh, don’t worry it took me a week, it only took you an hour," Katelyn explained with a smile as she reached under the bar grabbing her box of donuts. She opened it up revealing two lightly glazed donuts, her mouth instantly watering.

"Would you like one?" She offered her new-found friend? Katelyn wasn’t sure, but she knew she enjoyed her company. Donna seemed friendly, and they hit it off instantly.

 

Katelyn giggled as she watched Donna’s eyes caressing the shine from the glazed icing that draped over the perfectly baked donut,

"It would be a sin to say no!" She exclaimed. "These are Sami’s favorite. When we were kids, she would’ve happily eaten these for breakfast, lunch, and dinner," explained Donna, placing her hand over her mouth to prevent some of the donut that filled her mouth from escaping.

Katelyn nodded in agreement before giggling,

"Oh, I know, even as an adult I’m pretty sure she would still be okay with these in every meal plan," Katelyn explained as she bit into her own fluffy donut.

"Can I ask you a question, it might be a little personal and if I cross the line just tell me to shut up okay?" Asked Donna threw her chews,

Katelyn looked over squeezing her brows together, a little taken aback by Donna’s sudden serious expression,

"I’m sure it’s okay," Katelyn said softly, intrigued by Donna suddenly fidgeting with the rag in her hand.

"What the missing piece of the puzzle when it comes to you and…my sister?"

Katelyn shook her head forcefully; she didn’t expect Donna to ask such a question. She had only been in town barely two days and to Katelyn’s surprise Donna had already noticed something was going on.

"I, I don’t know what you’re talking about, we…we’re…" Katelyn sighed as Donna’s expression showed doubt.

"When my sister came to me, she was running from something. I come here your sister arrives at our apartment this morning and I won’t divulge into the conversation but as soon as you get mentioned Sami’s eyes express nothing but…pain," Donna finished quietly, as patrons entered the bar.

Katelyn dropped her stare, she hated to hear she could be the reason of Sami’s pain, a part of her wondered why, the other part almost didn’t want to know. She knew her new mission was to get over the hold Sami had on her, and if she effected Sami the way in which her heart wished she did, there would be no chance in hell that she would be able to move on… Katelyn sighed a painful one.

"I know Sam like the back of my hand, and she can tell you herself, I don’t beat about the bush, I want to know what happened. I mean, now I’m not speaking for her or you but…if there is something there why has nobody jumped on that bandwagon?" Donna finished before placing a piece of ripped donut, into her mouth.

Katelyn swallowed the remainder of her donut forcefully, while attempting to avoid any eye contact with her interrogator,

"It’s not as simple as you might think…" Reassured Katelyn, clearing the traces of donut from her throat, “Nicole was there this morning?”

She could feel her palms sweating, Donna’s questions made her nervous. She didn’t emit an attitude with her but still, she was the sister of the woman Katelyn had completely rejected.

"Yes, she came to apologize to Sami. Don’t worry, it was fine. But back to the real conversation, what’s so complicated? From what I see, you’re single, Sami’s single...you guys kissed, I know that much,” Donna paused to Katelyn’s widened eyes, “If this is too much you can tell me to mind my own business. Sami tells me all the time about my bluntness. I just want to know what’s going on…she tells me nothing so I’m hoping you will."

Katelyn bit the inside of her cheek, as she dropped her head and pressed her palms against the bar, her stomach churning…all she wanted to do was tell Donna to mind her own business, but it was clear Sami was affected in some sort of way, enough for her sister to question Katelyn about it.

She threw her head back. "Well, I was engaged to be married, we...my brother and sister love her. After I finished University, my fiancé and I decided to move back here. I was instantly forced to spend time with her, she was everywhere...all the time. I heard different stories about her from different folks around here. I made all these horrible assumptions of her because this town talks...a lot. Anyway, I learned that she has quite the reputation with an array of the women here. But as we spent more time together…I found her to be…rather sweet, loyal, and respectful," she chuckled "And so damn sarcastic," Katelyn paused, taking in a deep breath. "So, one night we got drunk and... we kissed. Immediately I pushed her away and told her it was a mistake." She looked to Donna,

"Then…she tried to talk to me about what happened, I brushed her off when all I wanted to do was pick up from where we left off, but I told her again it was a mistake it would never happen again, I was marrying Richard. I chose him," Katelyn’s voice lowered as her throat tightened against the stabbing ache to hold back her tears,

Donna placed her hand on Katelyn’s shoulder rubbing it lightly,

"I get it, I’m sorry I thought you were single…you’re marrying someone else. I can respect that Katelyn, that’s loyalty that’s…" Donna paused noticing Katelyn shaking her head,

"When I heard Sami left, I called off the wedding, I didn’t love him, he wasn’t the one I wanted to share my life with." Katelyn caught a small tear as she swiftly rubbed it from her cheek.

Donna walked over to the paper towels ripping a piece from it, and handing it to Katelyn,

"You didn’t marry the man who was the reason behind you stopping anything going further with Sami? Well, I’m no genius but…she is back, why don't you guys talk about it? I mean, now there is nothing stopping you both." Donna stated softly.

"I told her I could never trust her with my heart if she had it." Katelyn paused as she dried the now free flowing tears, "Her reputation scares me…I don't know if her subtle flirting is just a ploy to get me into bed like every other woman she comes across or if she..." Katelyn threw her head back releasing a dry laughter, "If she means it when she says I'm not like the others. We bumped into each other at the bakery this morning," she cleared her throat. "She apologized for leaving and asked could I forget everything that happened before she left. As in our kiss and could we still be friends. I'm glad it's so easy for her to forget it. God, she just, scares the hell out of me. As much as I ache for her I could never trust her...Donna I'm as foolish as the other women,” Katelyn bit hard on her lip, “I have fallen in love with her and we haven't even slept together. Not to mention there's the issue of my poor brother." Katelyn's small laughter could no longer catch the falling tears, the guilt of lying to Zack instantly wounded her.

"Wait…you love her? What does Zack have to do with all of this?" Donna’s eyes widened, dawning on her the reason for Nicole’s questioning earlier.

Katelyn said nothing and just nodded ever so slightly as she admitted her feelings to someone who she had never spoken to until an hour ago, her eyes reddened.

"Yes, I do, like an idiot and she couldn’t possibly return even an ounce of it. I mean this is love and your sister we are talking about." She paused taking in a deep breath thinking of how hurt Zack would become if this all came out. "Zack made her vow to never try anything with either of his sister's...because of how she is around town. He would be heartbroken to think that she broke that oath. I broke it. God...he can never find out."

Donna reached out grabbing Katelyn and pulling her close,

"I understand the Zack situation now, but...all I can say to defend Sami is…you did tell her your kiss was a mistake, she put it all out there for you, and I’ve never known my sister to do that... ever. She runs from nothing or anyone, but she came back to Arizona…I’m almost positive it was to run from you. Christ, she never chases a woman. If she likes what she sees, and the woman sends no signals, she doesn’t push as if enjoying a challenge, she respects and carries on living. By the sound of it, she tried to feel you out, you rejected so she left to lick her wounds." Donna paused. "I guess what I’m saying is…why would she be wounded if there was nothing there to hurt her in the first place?"

 

 

 

 

Chapter 35

 

Sami parked her truck on the side of the dirt road on Cedar Meadows. It was a crisp evening, she had missed going to the parade with the others, but she didn't mind. Her afternoon was filled with clients and that's all she cared about. Zack and Billy had insisted to help but she demanded they go and take care of Donna and enjoy the parade.

The sound of the rustling leaves as the breeze moved through them filled the evening's air. Her eyes were caught by the endless food vans and booze on wheels’ vans getting ready to provide a meal and array of alcoholic beverages to all the party goers. Across from the Limestone fountain she noticed the stage, it was so large it covered the view of the mountain tops behind it. The park was filling up fast for the festivities that were about to commence. She noticed a lot of new faces ready to enjoy the towns tradition of celebrating the year of establishment. She had heard from Zack that last year’s celebrations made it into social media, she assumed he was over exaggerating but still wishing she hadn’t missed it thanks to the food poisoning that consumed her that weekend.

"I’ll grab the coolers Don; will you get the bag of snacks?" Sami asked getting out of her truck.

 Zack grabbed the camping chairs Sami packed earlier, she was damned if she would stand for the next eight hours. She pointed to a spot that luckily hadn’t been taken up by a crowd yet, she was surprised considering it provided a good view of the stage.

Zack opened the chairs as Sami placed the coolers down beside them, opening them up, making sure she hadn’t forgotten anything.

"Perfect," She announced before staring at her watch to show it was just after six, it wasn’t going to be long until the first band would start.

"Have you seen Nicole or anyone we even know yet?" Zack asked, although tall he still stood on the tips of his toes trying to scan the seemingly endless crowd of faces surrounding him.

Sami shook her head before taking a seat, removing her sunglasses, she laid them inside the cup hold situated in the arm of her camping chair,

"I'm sure that weird twin power thing ya'll have will kick--"

"Ah! Nicole!" Zack yelled before blowing a wolf whistle toward his sister’s and the crowd they brought with them. He stuck his tongue out at Sami, "I'm pretty damn magical."

Sami laughed shaking her head at him.

Nicole ran awkwardly in her brand-new Arabic styled sandals toward her brother. Sami watched Zack hug her tightly. She made sure to tell him Nicole apologized for what she did, knowing he would quickly forgive his sister once she said sorry. Katelyn quickly drew Sami’s attention as she bent down to hug Donna, she couldn’t help her confused expression as Donna patted the chair for Katelyn to sit next to her, soon remembering they had worked together at Mick’s earlier that day. A part of her happy her sister liked the woman another part slightly nervous. She didn’t want her sister divulging in any embarrassing stories about her and it’s something Donna always did when Christine was in the same room.

Nicole smiled shyly toward her,

"My side babe!" Nicole joked as Sami got up to hug her, lightly she bit the side of Sami’s neck, expressing her excitement.

Sami quickly pushed her away, rubbing the side of her neck, a small grin escaping. She looked over at Peter purposely saying nothing to the sly grin aimed at her.

"Hands off my girl, Sami. Isn't there an oath about such things?"

Sami clenched her jaw as Zack turned to her laughing,

"Sami...behave," Zack joked.

Sami forced a smirk toward Zack then moved her hard gaze back at Peter,

"Hell, if you’d give the damn lady an orgasm every now and again, she might actually keep her hands off me," She replied with an absent smile.

"Ouch!" replied Katelyn.

“Damn, she’s got you there huh?” Billy added.

Peter's scorned grin amused Sami before she sent him a wink with her burned smirk.

Donna snickered against her palm enjoying her sister's brash words to the clearly cocky man she vaguely remembered but had yet to be introduced to. His short golden curls reminding her of John Barker, from high school. Teachers pet and principal’s ass kisser. Instantly causing her to have a dislike toward him.

"I take it it's okay that I don't like that guy?" Donna asked quietly, leaning toward Katelyn.

"It is compulsory that we do not like him," stated Katelyn as she grabbed a bottle of beer being offered from Sami.

"The dude is a dick." Sami didn't care that she said it within an ear shot of him either.

Katelyn smiled before shaking her head, "Did the parlor get busy after I saw you?"

"Yeah, I had a few guys come in. Let’s hope it keeps going," replied Sami.

As the two women began talking, both could sense the awkwardness. Katelyn cleared her throat, her eyes catching Donna’s small smile. She knew exactly what Donna was thinking. Their talk earlier had certainly kept her wondering if in fact she had wounded Sami.

Katelyn took a sip from her beer. Right then all she hoped for was for the two of them to stop feeling so awkward when in the presence of everyone else, the act of trying to be normal was already irritating her. Donna got up explaining she needed a bathroom break, insisting Sami sat on her chair so no one else would help themselves. Katelyn fired her a suspicious glare, she knew what Donna was trying, a part of her thankful another part wishing she would realize how dangerous it would be.

"I'm glad you managed to get some clients today, I'm sure it will get busier now folk know you’re back.," explained Katelyn as Sami sat down in Donna’s chair.

"I hope so...I gotta make it right for Zack and Billy."

Without thinking Katelyn pressed her palm against Sami's forearm rubbing it softly. Sami looked over at her, slowly shifting her eyes to the subtle rubbing. Katelyn brushed her hand away, sighing softly,

“Sorry…” Katelyn whispered,

“Don’t be…”

Katelyn broke their stare as Sami’s whisper matched her own. The soft honey like whisper sending a wave of chills through her,

“How’s…things at the firm? Still kicking ass and taking names in court?” Sami asked, before taking a sip of beer. Purposefully ignoring the pounding from her heart at even the subtlest and most innocent touches from Katelyn.

Katelyn laughed lightly nodding, “You could say that. I’m still trying to make a name for myself. I’m still daddy’s girl, so a few more wins under my belt and I’m sure I’ll earn some respect from the rest, but Christ they all act like the sun shines out of Richard’s ass.”

“Ah, I see. You’re certainly good at what you do, just keep your head down. It’ll come. Just don’t forget about us when you make it big.” Sami joked,

“Trust me…I couldn’t even if I tried…” She paused as Sami leaned her head back into the camp chair, her lazy smile resting… Her eyes holding Katelyn right there, the pull to stay in them clutching her,

“Nicole wouldn’t let me,” she added, still struggling to pull her eyes from the soothing darkness staring at her.

"Did I miss much while I was away?" Sami asked,

"Not really. Terri and Tara have kind of gotten a little closer..." Katelyn's brow arched as her suggestive tone grabbed a smirk from Sami,

"Is that right? Anything official between them?"

"They haven't said anything...so I guess she is still fair game, right?"

Sami laughed a little shaking her head, "No offence and all but I don't think you're Tara's type."

Katelyn couldn't help the amused giggle that escaped her before Donna finally joined them,

"You know what I meant, ass."

Sami grinned as she got up from her seat to let Donna sit back down.

"What's so funny?" Donna asked,

"Nothing, just Katelyn trying to get me to hook her up with Tara, the usual."

Katelyn's mouth dropped open as Donna cocked her head back with a raised eyebrow, oblivious to Sami's joke.

Katelyn rolled her eyes as a smile cushioned against her cheek,

"Don't listen to her, Tara is my best friend and her escapade, not mine."

 

The night’s annual celebrations were in full swing. The night sky had settled behind the stage; the only light being provided was upstage. The speakers vibrated the ground beneath them. The group sat in a circle enjoying the frozen vodka and whiskey shots Billy provided. Sami smiled as the bass from the large speakers vibrated through her body, she noticed an increasingly tipsy Donna and Katelyn become almost inseparable even to go as far as to take bathroom breaks together which never failed to initiate Sami’s eyebrow to arch at disbelief that the two hit it off in such a short period of time, but still, she was thankful her sister was mixing well with her friends. She looked over at a cackling Tara as Terri kept her amused, there wasn't even an ounce of jealousy just a relief to know she didn't have to deal with a drunken Tara. She wanted their nights together to be over officially. It had been a while since the two had fallen into bed together, but she knew she needed to make it official. She decided to leave it for a couple more days in hopes that Terri's smooth ways would pave the way for Tara to be the one to end their sleeping together habits. Sami’s thoughts were suddenly interrupted as she watched a tall, athletic stature of a woman, with short blonde hair kneel next to Katelyn and Donna,

"Hey, I’m Jordan Mayer. I’m just going to come out right and say that…you caught my eye the minute I arrived, and I’ve been mustering up the courage to actually come over here,” the stranger paused, clearing her throat, “I hope by coming over, I’m not treading on any toes and I’m praying that you’re single…what was I thinking, of course you aren’t. I’m sorry… I…you have a good evening.”

The stranger stood up, Katelyn couldn’t help but let her eyes follow,

“Oh, honey she’s single,” replied Tara, grabbing Jordan’s arm, preventing her from moving any farther,

"I have a voice, Tara.” Katelyn scrunched her nose toward her best friend, “Well, hey there Jordan Mayer, I’m Katelyn and thank you for the compliment." Katelyn smiled taking in the woman’s baby blues.

“Want to do me the honor of having this dance with me?”

 Katelyn bit her lip, the ocean blues captivating her, even under the night sky…they almost sparkled. Jordan had caught her completely off guard, and she knew she was single but a part of her didn’t feel at all comfortable, unsure why, she bit the inside of her cheek as she stared at Donna whose head was purposely turned from the scenario. Her silence abruptly interrupted by Tara’s nudge,

"Go for it, if you don’t I will." Tara said winking toward Jordan playfully.

"I won’t bite, one dance then you can come back to your friends," said a sniggering Jordan.

Confirming to Katelyn her apprehension was clearly visible. Her gaze moved from the woman’s striking blue eyes to Sami who got up and walked away with Billy. She admitted a part of her became annoyed at Sami for not even showing a bit of jealously, not a glare, nothing.

"Well, one dance?" Katelyn announced, unsure if she was making the right decision. What’s one dance?

 

 

 

Sami returned to the group with a box of hot dogs and burgers for everyone, instantly noticing Katelyn’s empty seat, she swallowed hard, her appetite leaving with Katelyn.

"Mmmm God, this is just what I needed," announced Nicole as she bit into her juicy burger, Sami made sure to remember extra onions and ketchup for her.

Sami sat next to Donna to watch the bands onstage perform, the atmosphere was electric everybody was up and dancing, she turned her head as Donna nudged her,

"You okay?" Donna asked as she licked the mustard from in between her fingers. A smile formed across Sami’s face, amused at her sister refusing to use the napkin provided. Before she could answer a drunken Donna, she felt a soft tap on her shoulder, turning, Sami looked up instantly recognizing Laurie staring back at her. Sami’s smile widened as she got up to greet her.

"Hey…Laurie, right?" Sami asked almost sure she was correct,

Laurie smiled warmly, nodding,

"Good job, you remembered…I’m proud of you," replied Laurie before lightly ruffling Sami’s hair,

Laurie took a seat next to her, "I would ask you to come dance with me, but it would be a conflict of interest…" Stated Laurie,

Sami looked back at the woman her confused expression clearly amusing Laurie as a small giggle escaped,

"Yeah…your business partner, Zack is it?" Asked Laurie,

Sami nodded still very much confused, she had never heard of Zack talking about a Laurie,

"Evidently he caught his girlfriend cheating on him with my brother.”

Sami’s eyes widened as her confusion turned to surprise,

"Ah…yeah I can see where the conflict of interest would come into it. Just for the record, I don’t like your brother," replied Sami with a grin,

Laurie laughed a little shaking her head, "Neither do I."

Sami leaned in closer to the woman as she struggled to hear her clearly,

"Then I guess the conflict of interest doesn’t count, right?" Sami whispered into Laurie’s ear,

Laurie turned her gaze to Sami’s lips as a small smile appeared,

"I guess you’re right…want to dance?"

Sami watched her eyes move from her lips back to her stare. She stood up holding her hand out to the small brunette nodding toward the dancing crowd behind her.

Donna watched Laurie drape her arm around Sami’s neck. Shaking her head noticeably frustrated, she called Nicole over ordering her to sit next to her,

“Why can’t they both just dance together? Women…I’m so glad I like men.”

“Who?” Nicole asked as her eyes tried to follow Donna’s glare,

“Our sisters.”

“I wish I knew…”

Katelyn and Jordan returned from their dance, both laughing. Katelyn hugged into the tall woman’s side, she really enjoyed herself.

"I take it you guys had a fun dance?" Donna asked as Katelyn fell into the chair next to her, Jordan sat down on the grass facing the two women resting a beer between her feet.

"All was going fine until Jordan decided to mix it up with the robot," Katelyn replied giggling.

"It’s not a dance without the robot!" Cheered Jordan with a smile. "I’ll be back guys, I just have to check in with my group, they’ll be wondering where I disappeared to," explained Jordan as she got up rubbing the grass from her jeans. Katelyn stared up at the tall woman, smiling,

"Okay see you soon," said Katelyn with a shy smile as she watched the appealing woman walk away. She sighed happily turning her glance to Donna noticing her arched brow,

"What?" Katelyn asked defensively.

"Really?" Asked Donna, her face expressionless.

"What? She’s really nice and funny, not to mention she is...very attractive," admitted Katelyn.

"Oh, I won’t deny, she’s very beautiful but...the foolishness of you and my sist--" Donna was quickly interrupted as Katelyn abruptly placed her finger on Donna’s lips.

"Don’t say it, I’m having a really good time for the first time in months, please?" Katelyn asked as her eyes glanced toward Billy realizing Sami wasn’t with him,

"Wait, where is….?" Katelyn paused looking back at Donna. "Never mind I don’t want to know," she finished, taking in a deep breath she attempted to fill her mind with thoughts of Jordan's dancing rather than Sami probably being all over another woman.

She was determined to get over her, as fearful as she was of her she couldn’t deny the constant pull of Sami, the urges and impulses when she was around constantly consuming her. But just dancing with Jordan, the cravings subsided.

Donna said nothing as she dug into the cooler grabbing two beers from the piercing ice they were submerged in,

"Whatever you say, dear. I wish you would both just admit your feelings to one another," Donna replied cracking open her bottle.

Katelyn's eyebrow arched,

"Your sister has made it quite clear she feels nothing; our kiss was a mistake...she said it in not so many words...I said it,” She paused, sighing heavily as she looked over at her merry brother as he and Billy chatted to the group from the skate park who finally joined them, “And then there is my brother…” Katelyn finished as she gulped her beer.

Donna leaned into Katelyn whispering,

"I don’t think Zack would honestly care especially when it comes to actual love and not a one-night stand. You said it was a mistake, to protect yourself...hasn't it crossed your mind she was probably doing the same thing?" Donna pulled away with a smirk.

Katelyn shook her head pointing her finger at Donna playfully,

"Enough of that or I will tell some random guy you're crushing on him and don't worry I'll make sure he’s perfect," Donna chuckled before clinking her bottle against Katelyn's.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 36

 

Later Sami and Laurie regrouped with everyone as they sang the words of the last song of the night that blasted from the stage. Sami smirked as Zack grabbed her. Donna watching on as her sister and Zack mimicked lovers’ dancing. Clearly amused at the sight of her sister being the one leading him and loving her just being a goofball once again.

Sami broke from Zack’s clutch raising Donna from the chair and pulling her toward Zack,

"Your turn to dance, I’m danced out," Sami said with a cheeky grin as she watched the two dance awkwardly.

Deep down Sami knew Zack was crushing on her sister and it didn’t bother her. She knew he was a good guy, even good enough for her sister but she would never tell him that.

"Oh fuck!" yelled Katelyn as she shuffled her hands inside her jean pockets. Sami looked over toward the panicked woman,

"What?" Sami asked,

"I…I’ve lost my damn house keys!" Explained a flustered Katelyn.

Everyone stopped what they were doing and began searching in the dark for her keys. Nicole shone her cell phone light on the now flattened grass as Sami lifted the chairs, searching under them,

"Forget it guys, they’re long gone I could have lost them anywhere throughout the night," explained a deflated Katelyn.

"I can take you back here tomorrow when it gets light and help search if you like?" Offered Sami.

Katelyn glanced at Sami, instantly feeling sickened as she recognized the woman standing next to her,

"It’s fine I can drive myself…well, no I can’t my car keys are on there too," replied Katelyn as she ran her hands through her hair, “Fuck!”

"Well the offer is there," explained Sami, shrugging off Katelyn’s refusal of her offer to help.

Katelyn placed her hands on her hips once again chewing the inside of her cheek while Nicole rubbed her back,

"How am I going to get in? Richard will be passed out already," stated Katelyn.

"I can’t even give you the keys to my place I left them at the Salon, I have to stay at Peter’s tonight and call Betty in the morning." Nicole replied draping Peter’s jacket over her shoulders.

“You could stay at mine, I can take the couch,” offered Zack,

Katelyn shook her head, she was thankful for his offer, but he was never the tidiest person, “No, it’s fine. I’ll call mom.”

Donna bit down on her lip as she glanced toward Sami then back at Katelyn,

"I won’t have you wake your parents up at this hour. You can stay with us; you can sleep with me. My bed is huge, and I promise I'll try to not touch you…too much," offered Donna, winking playfully.

Bewildered Sami stared across at her sister as a dread washed over her.

"Oh, well then what's the point of even staying?" replied Katelyn laughing.

Sami cocked a brow at the easy joking that amused the group, but she said nothing as Laurie huddled into her side for some warmth.

"I don’t want to hear it, you can stay with us then Sami can take you to look for your keys in the morning before she goes to work, isn’t that right Sami?" Asked Donna her expression strict.

Sami sighed as she grabbed two cigarettes from Zack and passing one to Laurie. Katelyn's eyes narrowed, her face soon losing all expression as she watched the woman hanging on Sami. She couldn’t quite kick the nauseating ache that pursued as her jealousy instantly beat down into her stomach.

"Sure thing, boss," Sami replied.

 

Sami threw the coolers into the bed of her truck as Donna jumped into the back. Sami was relieved she didn't have to endure another minute of Jordan and Katelyn, admitting it grinded on her, Laurie distracted her but only a little. She continued to remind herself Katelyn was the woman who rejected her, felt nothing she did... She was Zack's sister… Who exchanged glances with Jordan that she still ached for... Fell for. If anything came out of that night, it was that their friendship was going to be harder for her to keep up than she thought. Turning to get into the truck she glanced inside noticing Katelyn wasn't with them. She got on the side step of her truck to glance over it and just as she did, her eyes caught the sight of Katelyn locked in a kiss with the tall and charming Jordan. She clenched her jaw before getting into the truck and slamming the door, shaking the truck.

"Whoa…what’s wrong with you?" A bewildered Donna asked.

"Nothing. But do me a favor and go pry Katelyn away from her new friend so we can get out of here."

Donna turned to look out of the window. Quickly she shut her eyes grimacing at the sight of what her sister had just witnessed. She said nothing and did as Sami had asked.

"Katelyn…." Donna said quietly, clearing her embarrassment from her throat.

Katelyn broke the kiss once hearing Donna’s timid voice. She bit down on her lip before pushing slightly from Jordan’s pin and breaking the gaze they shared at that moment, quickly she wiped the remains of Jordan from her lips,

"Coming…." Announced Katelyn as Jordan moved herself out of the way,

"I have to go," whispered Katelyn, pressing her palms against Jordan's neck.

Jordan nodded, "I'll call you in the morning."

 

The ride home was of course quiet, Sami struggled to get the image of Katelyn and Jordan out of her head. She couldn’t stomach it, but she knew there was nothing she could say, she had no right.

Katelyn looked out of the window her eyes following the street lights as they flashed past her and faded back into the darkness. She glanced to the front to watch Sami, her heart doing nothing but pound through her chest. She admitted the kiss with Jordan wasn’t bad, but it didn’t send the electricity and desire the kiss she shared with Sami did. Neither did their dancing. Jordan certainly made her laugh, but she hungered for that burning rush of electric when Jordan’s fingertips explored her. It never came. She pressed her eyes shut as a tear fell from her cheek, all she wanted was the longing and want she had for Sami to disappear. Why was it so damn hard?

Katelyn felt Donna lightly grasp her knee,

"What’s wrong?" Donna asked quietly.

Katelyn shook her head waving her hand to dismiss the question,

"I can’t…" Katelyn stated before turning her head to the window as the tears continued.

Donna didn’t say a thing and just held her as they made their way home.

 

Katelyn watched as Sami threw her jacket and keys onto the recliner beside her before walking into the open planned kitchen and grabbing a bottle of water from the refrigerator. She couldn’t help but wonder why Sami’s demeanor expressed nothing but anger.

Sami leaned her back up against the sink, unscrewing her bottled water, she took a sip.

Katelyn appreciated the cleanliness of Sami's apartment which was something she never expected. They had known each other for month’s now, wondering why this was her first time ever setting foot in the place. Everything had its own place, it's color co-ordination of black furniture and rug surrounded by the white walls that hugged into the small stone fireplace masked with black and white city skyline pictures above it, complementing the marble kitchen tops, showing her of Sami's minimalistic tastes. But the luxury comforts of her leather recliners and huge flat screen didn't go unnoticed or surprise her.

"Oh, it's fine, we didn't want anything to drink anyway," explained Donna sarcastically as she brushed past Sami to the refrigerator before turning to Katelyn,

"Would you like a water? My sister evidently forgot her manners," stated Donna. Playfully slapping her sister's stomach.

Katelyn smiled softly, shaking her head and taking a seat in the undeniably comfortable recliner that hugged into her instantly,

"I'm fine, honestly."

Sami cleared her throat as she rubbed the small sting from her sister's slap, and still she struggled to look in Katelyn's direction. She was hurt, jealous...in love with the untouchable, and hated every part of herself for it.

"I'm going to bed, y'all have fun."

Donna fell into the other recliner waving Sami away. Katelyn watched as Sami shut her bedroom door, a small part deflated that she didn't attempt to sit with them.

"Just so you know...Sami caught you and Jordan kissing and that right there, that's a jealous Sami. Christine, Sami's ex would always tease her about it," announced Donna with a small smile as she thought of those particular memories.

Katelyn rolled her eyes before leaning back in the recliner, sighing,

"She told me about Christine...what was she like? What were they like together?" Katelyn admittedly curious to know a relationship Sami.

"Christine was...amazing if I'm honest, so beautiful. The girl all the guys wanted. She was Sami's first...they were cute together. Always made each other laugh, I envied them, I think we all did. When she died, I know a part of Sami did too." Donna paused, "She didn't cry at the funeral, I know she hated herself for it. It was like she just kind of...left a part of herself in that casket."

Katelyn nodded, dropping her gaze to the floor trying to imagine what it must have been like.

"She affects so many in this town, positively and negatively...I can't believe I let her affect me too."

Donna giggled, "I can tell you this Katelyn, you affect her more than you think. When Jordon approached you, and asked to dance, her eyes burned into you both. Sami's got it bad."

Katelyn rolled her eyes, "Save it Don."

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 37

 

"Oh my God you can’t be serious?" A giggling Nicole asked as she sat in Sami’s living room enjoying her first cup of morning coffee with Tara, Katelyn and Donna.

"Okay can we please stop talking about it now?" Asked an uncomfortable Katelyn before taking a sip of coffee.

She enjoyed the chatter with the girls but not that kind of chatter with Sami being in the next room, yes, she witnessed the kiss with Jordan but the mere thought of her knowing the details made her feel quite uneasy,

"Stop talking about what?" Asked Sami interrupting the group of ladies as she walked into the living room fresh out of bed.

For the first-time Katelyn saw Sami like she had never witnessed before, her hair wasn’t groomed it was a typical bed head, all out of place. She wore a baggy tank top and basketball shorts. The extent of the full sleeve tattooed arms added to Katelyn's longing gaze. It was never something Katelyn admired but on Sami... It stirred something inside of her. She looked beat, still Katelyn couldn’t help but take her in, she was drawn to her like a moth to a flame and she admittedly hated loving it.

Nicole turned to Sami as she giggled at the woman’s unusually messy hair,

"Good morning sunshine, coffee?" She asked raising her cup as Sami walked into her open planned kitchen, opening the fridge to grab a bottle of water,

"I won’t say no to some coffee and good morning girl."

Sami’s eyes were still unfocused, her head still throbbing from the night before although she didn’t get drunk, she felt hungover.

Nicole got up, walking into the kitchen to make her a cup of coffee not before running her fingers through the suffering woman’s disheveled hair and laughing,

"What were y’all talking about anyway? And why is it since my sister has moved in, I’ve woken up to at least one of you being here, wakening me with giggles? Don’t y’all enjoy coffee at your own place?" Sami joked as the scent of the freshly made coffee stimulated her senses.

"We were just talking about Katelyn’s earth-shattering kiss with that girl Jordan last night," stated Tara,

Sami swallowed hard as Nicole handed her the freshly brewed coffee, she cleared her throat before taking in a deep breath. Tara’s words became like razors blades as they passed through her ears. She clenched her jaw fighting back the sudden burn of jealousy that moved through her veins like lava. A twinge of anger pursuing as the reminder of Katelyn's rejection of their kiss consumed her thoughts,

"Earth shattering huh? You sure can’t beat those kisses that leave you weakened, your heart pounding through your chest. Y’alls frenzied breaths mixing...then to hear that ringing in your ears as she moans against your lips, the electric…the burning rush of desire, the want...leaving you aching for more..." Sami paused, taking another sip from her coffee, "Earth shattering indeed."

She clenched her jaw, keeping her eyes on Katelyn. She didn't know why but she had to remind her. Regardless of what she told her, their kiss was never a mistake, not for her. If she couldn't remind her physically, verbally was all she had. The aching images of Jordan's lips on Katelyn's ate at her, and she needed... Wanted Katelyn to know, regardless who was there exactly how unsteady the kiss they shared, made her.

Katelyn slowly looked up meeting Sami’s daring gaze, their eyes locked. Katelyn’s heart jumped into her throat as Sami perfectly described their kiss. She watched Sami’s jaw clenching… Her face emotionless. Breaking their gaze, she ran her fingers through her hair. The magnitude of the hold Sami had on her grew. The silence in the room was filled with that all too familiar deafening silence. Everybody knew what Sami was talking about and Tara was the only oblivious one to it all.

Nicole lightly pinched Sami’s forearm before walking away from her,

"Yeah…so what’s everyone’s plans today?" Nicole asked trying to change the subject, her uneasy tone snapping Katelyn back to reality as she broke away from Sami’s dark stare and sipped slowly on her coffee,

"Once I get back from hopefully finding my keys I have go to the office for a few hours, Richard and I have a meeting. Oh, Donna what time are you performing at Mick’s?" Katelyn asked appreciating the change of subject.

"I think I’ll be on stage at eight, you better not miss it," Donna answered with a cheeky smile.

“God, I wish I was able to make it, but Betty will kill me if I don’t go to that hairstylist event tonight.” Groaned Nicole.

"Have you even thought about what you’re going to wear for your date tonight?" Tara asked as Sami sat down on the arm of her chair.

Donna rolled her eyes, getting up to go to the kitchen. Sami began smirking as she watched Katelyn's demeanor settle into an uncomfortable one,

"Date?" Sami asked covering her smirk with her cup as she took a sip.

Katelyn bit down hard on her lip nodding slowly,

"Yes," Katelyn answered abruptly.

"Where are you guys going?" Sami asked,

Katelyn stared blankly at Sami,

"I think she said some Italian restaurant," Katelyn continued to answer to the point, her sharp tone amusing Sami.

"Awh! That’s where we met," stated Tara resting a warm gaze on Sami.

Sami kept her eyes on Katelyn, their gaze firmly locked. Sucking on her tongue Katelyn could see an intensity in Sami's eyes. Right as the room fell silent another small smirk appeared from the corner of Sami's mouth, she watched that small seductive twinkle in Katelyn's glare grow. While their eyes dueled, she knew right then that Katelyn's desire was being fueled just as much as her own.

"Yeah, we did…It’s…a nice restaurant," Sami said slowly, watching Katelyn witness the intensity in her eyes…their daring stare locked…Katelyn’s beating heart rang in her ears as the intensity of holding back on what they really wanted to say grew between them.

An oblivious Tara got up from her chair making her way to the kitchen and placing her half empty cup of coffee into the sink before grabbing her coat,

"Well I better get going guys, my mom needs me at the shop today. I’ll see you all later," Tara announced before giving Sami a kiss on the cheek forcing the locked stare to break.

Sami smiled at Tara as she made her way out of the apartment. She cleared her throat as the atmosphere suddenly thickened. She got up, placing her cup on the island marble top,

"That was fun...I'm gonna go get ready then take you to find your keys," she stated, before going to her room.

Katelyn looked up at a staring Nicole and Donna their expressions questionably amused,

"What?" Katelyn asked the suggestive stares.

"What was that?" Nicole asked giggling,

Katelyn shook her head dismissing her sister,

"It was nothing, drop it," demanded Katelyn as she moved to the kitchen pouring the remains of her coffee into the sink,

"Really? When are you both going to stop this and just…tell each other how you feel then live happily ever after," said an aggravated Donna.

"Happily, ever after doesn’t exist when it comes to your sister," declared Katelyn.

"How would you even know? You refuse to even give it a chance?" Donna asked crossing her arms.

"I’ve told you where I stand Donna, I don’t take chances on my future and especially with my heart, and no offence but your sister isn't a sure candidate to trust it with," she said quietly as she heard Sami rummaging in her bedroom.

Nicole shook her head, Katelyn glared toward her sister as Sami came out, grabbing her coffee from the island and downing it’s remains,

"Ready when you are."

"I think we should come with you guys," Nicole stated taking her coat from the back of the recliner, "More eyes and such," she finished noticing Katelyn’s arched brow of suspicion,

"Good thinking Nicole...was there a breeze?" Said a patronizing Sami, jokingly.

Nicole slapped Sami’s stomach playfully,

"Don’t push it or we might just lose you in that park."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 38

 

Sami pulled her truck right where she did the night before, the countless bottles of beer and food wrappers that carpeted the park caught her glance,

"Well this is going to be fun."

Katelyn glared toward Sami before rolling her eyes,

"Let’s just get this over and done with please. The good news is; they haven’t started cleaning this place up, so we have a better chance of finding them."

Katelyn’s irritation was growing more so with Sami; she knew was she was done being around the constant reminder of her unwanted desire for this woman. Back at the apartment angered her more than she thought it would. Sami's hold was evident for anyone to see, and all she wanted was to be free from it.

"I think we should split up into two’s," stated Donna as she looked at the challenging mess surrounding her

"Okay, who’s looking with who?" Asked Sami, pulling gum from her pocket and putting it in her mouth.

"Um, okay me and Nicole, you and Katelyn. Sound good? Okay great. See you guys in the middle!" Donna rushed, before grabbing Nicole’s elbow and pulling her away.

"What the…." Sami sighed,

"Great," added Katelyn, sarcastically.

Sami smirked at Katelyn’s comment enjoying the usual irritation she brought out in the woman before walking away from her. Tracing her eyes back and forth over the grass searching for the keys, she began blowing bubbles with her gum and smacking it against her teeth as she amused herself.

"Can you please stop that?" Katelyn asked sharply,

Sami looked up at a glaring Katelyn, "Stop what?"

"Your gum…popping and smacking it against your teeth, it’s annoying," Katelyn replied. She knew she wasn’t irritated by the smacking of the gum; she was just irritated at being in the presence of Sami, resenting the fact that she feared her and resented her for making her love her, resented Sami because she was… Sami.

"Hell, if you want a piece you just have to ask."

"No thanks, I don’t like gum."

"Wha…what? You don’t like gum? But everyone likes gum," replied Sami amusing herself as she acted shocked at Katelyn’s admission.

Katelyn rolled her eyes, "Clearly everyone doesn’t. It’s disgusting," she snapped.

"That’s a shame, I would have shared the piece I have in my mouth with you, it was my last one," Sami said turning from Katelyn with a smirk knowing it would revolt her.

"What do they see in you….?" Katelyn paused as Sami looked back at her

"They? Don't you mean you?" Asked Sami, pushing her gum to her front teeth with a smirk.

Katelyn was taken aback by Sami’s sudden forwardness although the unexpected comment did instigate her heart to almost flutter,

"Don't flatter yourself."

Sami laughed, "Your eyes...speak more than you know,"' Sami said quietly as a screech from Nicole drew her attention from Katelyn.

"Found them!" She yelled jogging toward them with Donna not far behind.

"Thank God!" Stated a thankful Katelyn.

"They were way up by the stage," announced a breathless Nicole,

"They must have fallen out of my pocket while I was dancing, thank God no one saw them and took them," replied Katelyn as she dug her keys safely into her jeans pocket.

"Can we get back now? I have a client in an hour," asked Sami as Nicole linked her arm.

Katelyn nodded, "Yes, I have so much work to get done before tonight," Katelyn replied, checking her watch.

"Ah yes, the date," stated Sami with an amusement in her voice.

"Yes, the date Sam. Something you want to say?" Katelyn asked, confrontational with her tone.

Sami stopped, unlinking her arm from Nicole’s to turn back to Katelyn, her smirk instantly disappearing,

"Why would I have anything to say about it...Princess?" Replied Sami matching the confrontational tone.

Katelyn giggled through her frustration of Sami's sharp tongue that instantly struck a nerve inside her,

"What happened to the nice Sami from the other morning at the bakery? Now we are back to this, you know I hate it when you call me that!" Katelyn replied with a raised voice.

"How do you expect me to react after that bullshit last night? You’ve got the be the most aggravating female in my life right now...nope, scratch that. The most aggravating woman in my life ever."

"I highly doubt that, I'm sure it's hard enough attempting to keep track on all of the females in your life, let's be honest."

Sami dug her hands into her pockets as a frustrated laugh echoed through the air,

"Here we go again...whatever helps you keep on running." Stated Sami arching her brow.

Nicole and Donna looked at each other as Sami and Katelyn’s disagreement became increasingly heated,

"This...is exactly what they need," whispered Nicole.

"Running? From what? You must be confused, I run from nothing, unlike you!"

Sami laughed as she turned her gaze from Katelyn,

"I ran because I needed to heal…but I came back, you're still running."

Sami’s breaths deepened, almost enough to wind her as the months of built up frustration because of the woman in front of her had finally risen to the point of no return. All she wanted to do was grab her and remind her of their kiss, show her, make her feel how she did when their lips were pressed against one another’s, the passion, the hunger.

"To heal from what exactly Sam? It must have been so hard for you to juggle multiple women on each arm...my heart bleeds for you, how terrible your life must be.”

Sami clenched her jaw before swallowing hard as the anger built up inside her. Slowly she raised a burning glare to Katelyn,

"Ah! There it is...what multiple women exactly Katelyn? Entertain me," replied Sami,

"Surely you can't expect me to remember all of their names when you yourself fight against that battle daily...but let’s mention Tara...and... the woman from last night..." Katelyn paused, silently thinking of herself on that list.

"Okay...I haven't slept with Tara since before the lake house. Pretty sure it's not against any rules to sleep with someone if you're single and I assume you're talking about Laurie? Well," Sami paused spitting her gum out, "I'm not sleeping with her, she's just a friend."

Katelyn laughed sarcastically, "And you expect me to believe that? Please I've seen you both together, I'm not as stupid as the women who jump into bed with you are," she snapped.

Sami ran her fingers through her slicked back hair as her frustration peaked, she approached Katelyn causing their faces to be just inches from one another,

"Tell me why you even care to believe me, Katelyn?" Sami whispered sharply, her eyes dueling back and forth with an ever-growing anger from Katelyn's.

"I couldn't care any less..." Katelyn's tongue slowly traced the backs of her top teeth, fighting the urge to slap the woman in front of her, which was proving to be increasingly difficult.

Nicole gripped Donna's forearm tightly as she witnessed the passion driven argument between the two women who struggled to admit their feelings to one another.

"You know I find it real funny that you hold this judgement of me when it comes to sleeping with women and have an assumption of me being a womanizer even though never, not once have I ever cheated on someone but, you can go and kiss someone behind your fiancé’s back...then persist to lip lock someone you only met a couple of hours’ prior...pot calling kettle much?"

Katelyn's mouth fell open as she dug her tongue into the side of her cheek, her tears building against her eye lids,

"You fucking asshole."

"Call me what you will but fuck it...I'm going to say this because if I don't I’ll regret it, the kiss...our kiss...that kiss," Sami paused as she watched a tear fall from Katelyn's pained eyes, "It was never a mistake, I'll never deny you because I simply can't and you can hate me for it...but that kiss was earth shattering, a quickie up against a car...nah, but ours..." Sami paused before inhaling deeply as the image of their kiss ran through her head. "Earth shattering," Sami finished with a whisper.

Katelyn shut her eyes as her uncontrollable tears fell down her face. She knew Sami was right, and her fear couldn’t numb the torment of it all,

"And what about your best friend, my brother? He trusted you...he trusted me."

"I fight with that battle every God damn day...I fight to keep it from him, holding this betrayal is the hardest thing I’ve ever had to endure. I fight those demons and then the demons of you. I wouldn't put my friendship on the line for something if it meant nothing. Don't throw him in my face...don't do that, Kate."

"I can't do this with you anymore."

Sami clenched her jaw, "All right as you wish, but do me a favor? The next time you want to kiss someone…try and not do it within an ear shot of me…I don’t know about you, but I’m just not there yet.”

“Stop pretending like you’re even close to where the fuck I am regarding you and that fucking kiss. It kills you to know you will never sleep with me, that’s all. I am nothing but a game to you, like every other fucking woman in this town. It kills you to see someone being where you will never be. It kills you to finally have a woman who, no matter how hard you try, won’t let you have them as another notch on your bed post.”

Sami released a dry mirthless laughter, throwing her hands in the air, “No matter what I say…you’ll never believe me. All I can do is ask…plead with you…don’t let me endure watching you be with someone else…regardless if you believe how it makes me feel Kate…just don’t…”

Katelyn didn’t have time to counter as Sami turned on her heels and stormed back to the truck. Her heart instantly shattering… Sami’s shaken voice pierced her, her eyes exposing a deep pain... That familiar deep pain she would witness in her own eyes. Am I wrong?

Nicole walked up behind her, placing a hand on her back,

"Are you okay?" She asked quietly noticing her sister quickly swiping away the tears.

"She’s so…you can never just talk with her…ever," replied a frustrated Katelyn.

"She tried…." Interrupted Donna before walking away.

Katelyn watched Donna walk toward the truck as Sami slammed the door. Nicole linked their arms as they walked back to the truck slowly,

"She’s right you know…." Nicole whispered.

"Right about what?" Katelyn asked turning to her,

"I know you might get upset with me but…I can’t stand watching you both rip each other apart. You keep running from her, how can you not see Sami loves you, Katelyn? I have never in all the years I’ve known her to ever…ever be like this."

"I have my reasons Nicole," sternly replied Katelyn.

"Ohhh that’s right the countless women, which has literally been zero since forever Katelyn. I haven’t seen her with a single woman oh except an innocent dance last night, just like you. Even when it comes to Tara, they haven’t slept with each other since before the lake house! I’m telling you Zack would understand Katelyn...she returns everything you feel how can you not see this?" Nicole shook her head with a deep sigh.

Katelyn witnessed her sister’s frustrations hitting the surface. She said nothing as they returned to the truck, and throughout the whole ride back to town to get her car she couldn’t forget what Nicole said, it did seem to pan out. She hadn’t seen Sami with another woman until last night, but there was the night at the bar before Sami disappeared soon remembering Laurie walked out after only a few minutes. Maybe she was to be the one for Sami to love, maybe Sami was capable of being in love. Katelyn sighed, Maybe, maybe, maybe just doesn’t cut it."

Part 7

Author's Page

Back to the Academy