Haven

By

Knightales

 

For complete Disclaimer see: Part 1

If you like what you read please give me feedback at: kenishia15@gmail.com

I'm fairly new to the writing world so I would really appreciate any advice or comments.

 


 

Part 4

The brunette marched through the populated school hallway, shoulders slumped, hood up. The negative attention she had drawn over the past few weeks seemed to have subsided, people ignoring her in the least. Which she was happy about. She preferred being invisible. Going in and out of places with no one questioning. No one the least bit concerned with how she's doing. How she's taking her parents death?

Hayden stopped at her locker, the conversations around her all revolving around the Hammer party this weekend. She rolled her eyes. She for one couldn't understand the concept of having a house party in the dead of winter. But it had been a standing tradition for years, held at the start of the winter break by senator Hammer's kids. Basically, it was an open invitation to their mansion at the end of the woods with easy access to booze, indiscretions and sex. Instant fun, she rolled her eyes again. It always a mystery to her, how no one ever ended up murdered after such an event. Plus, this town would be better for it considering the type of people populating it. It was the perfect cover for the average psychopath. Get your jollies off some cheerleaders, slit their throats and bury them in the woods, she mused with a crooked smirk. Uh –maybe she was giving this too much thought. Plugging in her locker combination, she yanked it open, taking out her math textbook and her iPod. Satisfied she had everything she needed she slammed the door and jolted when Carlos's face appeared in its place. “Jackass.” She punched him lightly on the arm.

The raven haired just chuckled with crossed arms, leaning against the locker. “Why so jumpy?”

“Maybe, because I have to look at your face so early in the morning.” She supplied dryly.

He simply rolled his eyes. “Some women would kill at the chance to look at my face, you know.”

“Yeah… Themselves…” She retorted sarcasm dripping from her tone. Hayden knew it was no lie, Carlos was the devilishly handsome bad boy that every straight girl infatuated about. But what kind of best friend would she be if she gave him the satisfaction. He just gave her a sharp scowl that made her surrender with a chuckle. “Okay, okay… What's up?” She asked as she deposited her book in her knapsack.

Carlos beamed, hands in the air with a to and fro motion. “Can you say the Hammer part –ay?”

“No.”

Carlos's face immediately dropped, his hands froze. “Wait, what do you mean no?”

“As in, no, I'm not going.” She elaborated with a disinterested tone starting towards Mr. Elliot's class.

He grabbed her arm stopping them both. “What do you mean you're not going? You have to go! Everyone is going to be there!”

She sighed. “Well, I'm not.”

“Why not?” He whined, still keeping her in place when she tried to break his grip.

“Not my scene. Now, would you let go.” She huffed, quite annoyed.

“No, Hayden.” He shook his head vigorously. “I'm tired of this.”

Hayden's brows furrowed. “Tired of what?”

He let go of her arm violently, gesturing towards them. “Of this… You are avoiding me.”

“I'm not avoiding you, Carlos.” Her arms crossed over her chest firmly.

He squeezed the bridge of his nose. “Hayden, I hardly see you.” The brunette began to protest but he cut her off. “I know, you've been busy and have a lot going on. Aunt and Uncle, school, your new job with Ms. Conner. Which is great, I understand that. But I don't understand why we hardly get to hang out. I just thought maybe this party could take your mind off things. I guess, since I assumed you don't work on Saturday night, we could hang out then . Like we used to, remember. ” He shrugged with that hint of hurt seeping through. “I guess, that was my mistake.” He was about to stalk off.

“Carlos wait.” She sighed as her arms fell to her side, her scowl straightening out. He halted, his back to her. Of course he was right. But she hadn't been avoiding him per say. She should have actually made more of effort because irrespective how messed up the people in the school was, he was the only person who gave a damn about her. They had been together since the first grade, even when she moved to New York, they still kept in contact, remained best friends. The first person she told when her parents… She looked at him with softened blue eyes. “Jeez, you big lug. You know how to lay it thick, don't you?” He gave her the barest hint of a furtive smile that made her crumble with a resigned sigh. “Fine, but do we have to go to the party?”

Carlos's grin split his face when he knew he won. “Hell yes! Free booze and girls. ” He glared at her incredulously as they resumed their stride towards Mr. Elliot's class. “Plus, I heard from a source that the new girl, Jessica Tatum plays for your team.” He nudged her towards hot blonde who strolled past them and gave them both a smile. Her brown eyes latched onto the brunette briefly, something passing between them. She definitely plays for my team, Hayden thought instantly at the knowing look she received. “Be right back.” Carlos bumped her gently as he pointed towards the boys' lavatory. He disappeared inside while she leaned with her back against the wall, waiting, watching.

Her thoughts immediately transitioned into another blonde who was always there in the back of her mind shadowing her. A small strained smile graced her face as those blue eyes scanned over room 105, Maddie's door closed. But she knew the teacher was behind her desk right now, probably sipping on her coffee like water and planning her day. Her own Lit class wasn't until the end of the day. She had been under Maddie's wing for over three weeks now, actually finding some sort of yearning for their casual interaction. It was unexplainable, the sudden lightness the brunette had felt drew her. During that time her observant nature had found out a lot of things about the blonde. Those green emerald eyes sucking her with their expressive nature. You could always almost tell what mood she was through her eyes alone. The fact that she could play almost any instrument struck the brunette with awe. She had so many different types in her music room, next to the practice room. Her smile grew as she remembered the arguments Maddie endured with her dog. It was as if another person actually lived with her. They were usually one sided but how Smurf always came out on top was a wonder, she mused. She seemed happy. No that wasn't right, perhaps content with where she was. With whom she was, more importantly. Something Hayden, sadly, still had to figure out. They hadn't exactly started on her own music, quite yet. She was still getting the ropes of the teaching thing. Plus, she could sense they were both nervous at the thought of being alone for longer periods. However, they were becoming friends despite the tension that she constantly had to push down.

More than once she found herself simply staring at the blonde while she interacted with the kids, getting lost when Maddie's fingers caressed the keys on the piano in the practice room. Maddie would close her eyes, get lost in the classical music, a smile always evident. That dazzling smile, that on more than one occasion caused her to lose her breath. Then when the music piece concluded, green eyes would blink open and their gaze would hold briefly until either of them felt it inappropriate. Sometimes standing under the same roof, made her feel like one of their kids, scared and excited at the same time. She just hoped she wasn't as transparent working really hard to keep her feelings intact. No that wasn't right, it was more like trying not to feel. She didn't want to feel. She couldn't feel in order to honor the deal she made with the teacher, her friend . There was a non sequitur if there ever was one.

“Hey ready to go?”

Startled, Hayden stared blankly at her best friend and nodded. She strolled into Mr. Elliot's class after Carlos, sparing one final wistful glance at Maddie's door.

. . . . . . . . . . . . .

Maddie padded through her home passage towards her practice room, her bunny slippers grazing on the carpet. They were blue this Saturday. She glanced at the wall clock which indicated it was 2:30pm. Running through a mental to-do list in her head she heard two hushed voices and a few strings of music coursing through her home. Smiling, she opened the door softly, leaning against the frame as she watched the two left over culprits.

Hayden adjusted the eight year old blonde's guitar his tiny little arms. “See, try to keep it in that position, Bailey.”

The little boy held his instrument against him, his hopeful blue eyes matching his instructors. “Like this, Hayden?”

Hayden couldn't help but smile at his approval –seeking voice. Who knew kids could be so adorable. “Just like that, buddy. Try not to let it slip, this time.”

“Okay, Hayden.” He pursed his lips, determined as she picked up her Santa Cruz. They both faced the glass doors that led into the snow covered back yard as they eased into the short beginner music piece. When she felt he was confident enough to carry on his own, she put her instrument down, nodding encouraging the little guy. She watched him as he finished the song and smirked at the triumphant grin she received. “I did it!”

“You sure did. You did great.”

“Oh yeah!” He fist pumped the air and Hayden smiled at his enthusiasm. Her mind drifting back to the first time she completed a song, flawlessly. She was a bit younger than him but her mother's green eyes were so fill of pride. She recalled her parents taking her out to dinner that night to celebrate. “So when do we learn some rock?” Bailey asked bringing Hayden out of her reverie.

Her sad smile turned into a smirk. “You wanna learn some rock, do ya?”

“Yeah!”

She picked up her guitar, playing a series of rock intros. “A little, White Stripes?” The music suddenly wafted into another song. “Or a little, Aerosmith?” Her fingers racing over the cords. “Or Nickelback?” She grinned as the little boy started giggling.

Maddie couldn't help her own giggles, enjoying the rare playful moments the brunette allowed herself. They both turned back to the blonde. “Okay you two, enough goofing off. Bailey, your mom is here.”

“Aww…” The little boy pouted as he gathered up his things. Hayden rose from her chair putting the Santa Cruz into its casing. She was caught by surprise when she felt tiny arms wrap around her lengthily legs. “Bye Hayden.”

The brunette looked down, a soft smile played on her face, she patted his head. “Bye buddy, see you next week.”

The boy nodded and ran up to the blonde giving her a brief hug as well. “Bye, Ms. Conner.”

Maddie smiled. “Goodbye, Bailey.” He dashed towards the door and disappeared passed it. She turned her attention back to the brunette teasingly. “Looks like someone has a secret admirer…”

Hayden shifted uneasily, her pale cheeks turning a shade of red. “Okay, so you caught me. He just reminds me of myself when I was younger.”

The blonde simply chuckled as she led the way towards the kitchen. Hayden followed through the narrow passage, her guitar on her back. “I was talking about him, you know.” Maddie shot her an impish look over her shoulder.

“Oh.” Hayden halted feeling the blush deepen and Maddie shook her head in a state of laughter.

She poured a mug of hot Cocoa into a mug and handed it to the brunette. Hayden rested her guitar against the table and took a seat, enjoying the chocolate fragrance of her beverage. “You're so adorable when you're oblivious.”

Hayden cringed, burning the tip of her tongue, carelessly. She looked up at the blonde, rolling her eyes. “Adorable isn't a term I would use to describe myself.”

Maddie's eyes twinkled, taking a sip of her coffee. “Then what is?”

“Anything but that…” Hayden shrugged. “Plus, do you really think they would let me be leader of the cult if I was adorable?” She wiggled her eyebrows, in humor.

The teacher found herself chuckling. “Oh, so they made you leader now, did they?”

“Any doubts?” The brunette tried to keep her face stoic. “I'm perfectly capable.”

“Oh, yes so perfectly devious.” Maddie shot her a grin. “It's no wonder the kids take to you so well.” Their warm smiles matched as they stared at each other. She looks so beautiful when she smiles, the teacher thought unconsciously.

Hayden averted her eyes, feeling the smile she received a bit overwhelming. “I don't know, not all of them. Jerome tried to ward me off with a cross last weekend.” She grinned in amusement.

“He did what!” Maddie exclaimed, with enlarged eyes. “Why didn't you tell me?”

“Don't worry, he seemed to have cooled down after I touched it and didn't melt.” Hayden waved her off. “He actually looked kind of disappointed so I just pretended to get a little burned.”

Maddie grinned, shaking her head. “You're such a psychopath.”

“On many occasions, my peers certainly think so.” The teacher simply smiled, knowing the reputation the brunette had among most of her peers at school. She could only think of one thing that may result in that. Pure envy… As much as the brunette tried to lurk in the shadows, keep to herself, try to be inconspicuous, she always stood out. Prodigies usually did. She was smart, talented and beautiful and all in an extreme sense. “Mind if I bale out early?” Hayden's request interrupted Maddie's stray thoughts.

“Huh?”

A smirk traced the brunette's lips. “Are teachers allowed to do that?” When the blonde frowned, she continued. “You know, speak in lowly colloquial terms?”

Maddie rolled her eyes but her smile remained mischievous. “Hey, not all of us can afford to be smart asses with a 4.0 to back it up.”

Hayden's eyes shyly fell to the empty mug between her palms. “Is there a reason you always bring that up?”

“It's fun.” The blonde shrugged, trying to suppress her smile by drawing her lips thin.

“Fun?”

“Yes fun.” Maddie nodded, her smile full-blown now. “You get so embarrassed, which brings us back to you being adorable, cult or no cult.” The blonde chuckled when the shade of red returned on the brunette's cheek.

Hayden shook her head and groaned. “You play dirty, Conner.”

“I play to win.” Maddie winked playfully and deposited both of their cups in the sink. In recent weeks their playful banter appeared to generate a connection they both seemed to enjoy. A friendship…

Hayden's brow rose, their gaze meeting, anything but playful, almost daring. “Me too…” Maddie felt the full force of those intense blues pierce straight through her. And then there was that. That one look that the flooded her mind with memories of that night. She swallowed feeling her throat constrict. The brunette dropped her eyes first, feeling the tension between them spike, cursing herself silently. “Um, so is it okay?”

“Okay?” Maddie managed to ask with her tongue feeling thick.

“Yeah, if I take off early?”

“Oh, yeah, no problem, I'm meeting Lamar for coffee anyway. We can work on the list tomorrow.” The blonde smiled casually talking about the Christmas performance list for the music groups.

“Great, but I may be a little late tomorrow.” The brunette rose from her seat grabbing the Santa Cruz by its neck.

“Okay, but try not to party too hard.” Maddie grinned as she began to walk the brunette to the door.

Hayden halted. “Party?”

“The Hammer party? You're going right…”

“You know about that…”

The blonde rolled her eyes and chuckled. “Hayden, I'm a teacher at a school that has been talking non-stop about that for the past week. And I'm fairly sure I'm not deaf.” Then she smirked and winked. “We just pretend we are.”

Hayden returned the smirk. “Noted.” She pulled her scarf from the coat rack and began wrapping it around her neck. Her guitar was gently placed on the floor before she slipped into her coat. “Yeah, I'm going but I really don't want to.” She began buttoning it up.

“So then why are you?” Maddie wondered.

“Carlos. The old ‘ I miss you' best friend card.”

The blonde winced mockingly. “Catches you every time.”

“Yup, I just wish he picked something else to do. But his logic is free alcohol and girls, how can we not be there.”

“Well, he has got a point.” Maddie grinned.

She rolled her eyes again and reached for her guitar lengthening the strap a little. “Yeah, and a one track mind.”

“Maybe he has got the right idea tonight. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if you let loose. You have been stuck here slogging it here with me on weekends.”

“That's not how I see it.” The brunette's blue eyes looked up and held her green ones sincerely. The truth behind them was overwhelming. Maddie nodded feeling like she was literally swimming in them. Drowning actually.

Maddie felt the spark of heat radiate between them, Hayden cutting her gaze immediately. “I know.” She said when she was able, with a nervous smile. “But, you know, you need to have fun –with peers in your own age group.” She added softly.

Hayden's hand froze on her guitar at the non-committal comment. She felt her heart clench for some odd reason. She lifted her detached gaze back at the blonde who seemed slightly uncomfortable in her presence. Feeling the anxiety emanate off the blonde, she realized the comment was no accident. Indirectly, what Maddie had meant was not with her . She fastened the Santa Cruz on her back and turned her back, needing to leave. Needing to leave these feelings behind. They were only going to cause her own dismay. “I'll keep that in mind. Later, Conner.” She mumbled and let herself out hastily pulling the door behind her.

Maddie flinched when the door was closed in her face before she could even whisper a goodbye. “Shit.” She closed her eyes leaning her forehead on the door. “Subtle Conner, subtle...”

. . . . . . . . . . . . .

The teacher found herself at the local coffee joint on the corner of fifth. Her sullen eyes on the hot concoction in front of her, one hand palming around the cup while the other was gently stirring in the cream. Her head was where it had been for the last month or so. The empty look on the brunette's face painfully engraved in her mind. She didn't mean what she said. She wished she did. If she did, she wouldn't have been so bothered by it.

“Maddie!”

Maddie's head snapped up. “What?”

Lamar studied the lost expression on his best friends face. “Where have you been? I have been talking to you for the last two minutes. Clearly, you haven't heard a word.”

She smiled almost guiltily. “Sorry…”

He let out an exasperated sigh. “So how's work? How's Hayden?” He asked as he tore open a sugar sachet, and added it to his black coffee.

“It's great… They are both great.” She continued to avoid eye contact.

“But?” A dark brow peaked on Lamar's forehead.

“But?”

“Maddie, I know that tone, there is a but…”

Maddie sighed as she raised her gaze to his. “Well, it's just that –maybe I'm being silly, but there is always this cloud of tension and awkwardness around us. I don't know, it's like when we speak to each other, even in the casual sense, we joke, but it's still floating there…”

“Don't worry, I'm sure you guys will get over it.”

She shook her head. “No, you don't understand. Sometimes I get so nervous that I'm going to say or do something stupid that I actually say or do something stupid. Sometimes both at the same damn time!” She exasperated.

Lamar let out a low chuckle. “Can't get the stupid out of that equation, can you?”

She glared at him. “It's not funny, Lamar. Today, I basically told her to see people her own age as if it's any of my goddamn business.” Maddie dropped her face in her hands. “She took it like I told her to fuck off! I didn't mean like that. I just… I just.”

“You just what?”

“I don't know why I said it. But I didn't mean it as a cheap shot.” She raised her solemn gaze to her best friend. “I guess, I'm scared that I'm going to screw something up. God, I sound so paranoid!”

“Sounds like it… So why did you hire her then?” Lamar took a deep sip of his coffee, his eyes following the cute waitress that strutted past.

“You're kidding me right, you're the one who told me to!” Her brows drew into a dangerous glare.

“I merely gave you a professional suggestion.” He pointed a finger at her. “You could have said no.” His smile was all too smug.

Maddie shook her head. “I…” She stopped herself uncertain what to say to that. “Dammit! You're right.” She pouted. “I hate it when you're right…”

Lamar sighed, putting two fingers under her chin raising her head. “Buck up, my friend. I know what would cheer you up.”

“What?”

“Taking your own advice. Playing with people that are not in school. Going on a date with some pretty lady, perhaps even getting lucky.” He wiggled his eyebrows.

“Dating?” She wrinkled her nose.

“Yes.” He simply rolled his eyes. “Remember that thing you used to do before you met Kelly?”

“Why do you always have to bring her up?” Maddie frowned, drinking her coffee. “I know she was the biggest mistake of my life. I know that.”

“No, Maddie, the mistake was all hers.” He growled, hating when his best friend blamed herself. He leaned forward. “I just hate the fact that you are still punishing yourself for her fucking shit.”

“I'm not punishing myself!” She shot back in a hushed tone.

“No?” He sat back, eyebrow arched, unconvinced. “When's the last time you had sex?” He cut her off when she was about to dispute. “With someone other than yourself?”

Maddie glared at him, her arms crossed over her chest, a deep pout engraved on her lips. “You know very well when…”

“See, my point exactly.” He groaned taking the last sip of his coffee. “Kelly was the last and that was over a year ago.”

“Well, what the hell do you want me to do? Go find random women and sleep around?”

He let out a chuckle. “Yeah, I wish. But that's not you, Maddie.” He shook his head, sighing. “You want to know, what I want?”

“Yes, please enlighten me, oh wise one.” She said wryly as he placed his empty mug on the in front of them, signaling the waitress to refill them both. He scrutinized the gorgeous woman in front of him. She was beautiful inside and out, yet she was never truly happy. Despite everything that happened in her past, she always tried to put on a brave front and moved on. Never really healing, though. That was why he tricked her into moving down to Red Bay, hoping she would get a fresh chance at life. “Lamar…” Maddie drawled, irritation sinking in.

He snapped out of it and looked at her, giving her a gloomy smile. “I want you to be happy, Maddie.”

The blonde's frown curled into a sad smile of her own and she reached her hand over to cover his. “I am happy, Lamar. I have a great home, a great career, a prissy dog.” She chuckled and he grinned at that. “And I will always have you, right?”

“Couldn't get rid of me, even if you tried.” He smiled down at their linked hands and squeezed.

“Good.” She squeezed back.

“But you deserve more, Maddie. You can't keep using your relationship with Kelly as a fucking yardstick! There are better things out there.” His concerned black eyes drifted back to hers. “I'm actually grateful to Hayden.”

Maddie's brows drew cautiously. “What? Why?”

He smiled with a perked brow. “How many times have you thought of Kelly before you met her?”

She didn't like where this was going but she answered honestly nevertheless. “All the time.” She confirmed with a resigned sigh.

“And how many times have you thought of her since you met Hayden?” He grinned knowingly.

“I...” She thought about it and then let out a soft gasp. “God, I haven't until you brought her up.”

Lamar laughed, as the waitress refilled their cups. He supplied her a playful wink before he returned his attention back to the blonde. “See, you have the Goth musical maestro to thank for that.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah.” She glared at him for pointing it out. “But you do realize that it's reversed. Now, I think about Hayden all the time.” She scowled.

He waved her off with a grin. “Oh, well, one problem at a time. You'll figure it out kid.” He leaned in closer. “Don't look now but someone is checking me out.”

“Who?” Maddie turned around to catch the stunning tall busty redhead at the coffee counter smiling at them.

Lamar smacked his head with a thud. “I told you not to look.”

She chuckled when she saw the lady saunter towards them. “Um, Lamar, I don't think she was checking you out.”

“No, she clearly was looking this way and…” His eyes widened in realization. “And she coming over here, act natural.” He picked up one of the menu's pretending to read it.

Maddie just shook her head as she rose off her seat to take the redhead in a hug mindful of her drink. “Renée? God, what are you doing here?”

The redhead model chuckled sweetly as she air kissed Maddie on both of her cheeks. “Madeline, I thought it was you. How good to see you. It has been ages.” She spoke eloquently.

Maddie chuckled and leaned back taking in her friend in her long stylish black coat. “It's good to see you too. And it has been forever. But what on Earth are you doing here, in Red Bay? Don't tell me they are filming here for the new line?”

“Oh heavens, no.” Renée smiled good-naturedly. “I'm just here visiting my nana. She has been ill very recently. I took some personal time to spend with her.”

“Oh, I'm sorry.” Maddie squeezed her arms gently.

“Thank you, but she will be fine. My nana is a fighter, she is. Drives me nuts.” Renée half chuckled as she sipped on her beverage. “So what brings you to this Red Bay?” She crumpled her nose.

Maddie giggled, amused at the way the blonde referred to this place as if it was another planet. “I live here now. I'm actually a teacher at the local high school.”

The model nodded primly. “Ah, I heard you got out of the music industry but wasn't sure where you ended up.”

“Well, this is it.”

“Renée?” Lamar frowned, feeling like he missed something. “And Madeline?”

Maddie flinched. “Oh jeez, I'm so rude. Renée this is my friend Lamar.” Lamar stood up. “Lamar this is Renée, she was a model in one of my father's music videos when I was a senior in high school. I just used to help out on the set.”

He took her hand in his. “Nice to meet you.”

“Pleasure.” Renée smiled and then looked back at the blonde and winked. “And you used to more than that, you know.” Maddie smiled shyly.

Lamar glared at his best friend impishly and turned his attention back to the redhead model. “Please take a seat.” He gestured her to one of the chairs, with a smile.

“I have a few seconds to spare.” She smiled as they all sat back down. “So Madeline, is this your boyfriend? He is quite handsome.”

Both Maddie and Lamar looked at each other before they both burst out laughing. “Oh no, we are just best friends. We met in college.” Maddie took a sip of her coffee.

“I'm not really her type.” Lamar grinned taking a sip of his.

“Oh, so you finally came out?” Renée raised a excellently sculptured brow in query from behind her coffee cup. Maddie choked on her drink, sobbing out coughs while Lamar just froze in mid-sip. He tapped her back softly, until she could breathe again. “Are you okay?” The model asked with a hint of concern.

“Yeah… Yeah, I'm fine.” Maddie picked up a serviette dabbing her lips with it. “You knew?”

Renée let out a deep chuckle. “Oh, honey, we all knew.”

Maddie paled marginally. “All of you?”

“Well, all of the models did. I'm not sure about the set crew or your parents.” She grinned. “A few of us thought you were cute but we were afraid of David.” The model referred to Maddie's father.

“Yes, well, so was I.” Maddie smiled ruefully. Then her eyes widened at the realization. “Wait, you guys thought I was cute?”

“Oh, yes, you were so cute stumbling in and out of the dressing rooms.” Renée popped her eyebrows wickedly.

“You used to peek at naked models!” Lamar's mouth hung open in awe. “Way to go Conner! You are a legend…”

Maddie felt like her face was on fire as the blush took over profusely, Renée finding it charming. “I did not! I was always the messenger and… Well, anyway I used to close my eyes.”

Renée chuckled remembered the awkward closeted senior. “Yes, that's what gave it away. Coming in there with her cheeks on fire and her hand over her eyes.”

“Jesus! You used to cl –close your eyes?” He stammered rhetorically, shaking his head. “I take that back, you were a dork.”

“Yes…” Renée smirked, her blue gaze never leaving the blonde. “A cute dork.”

“Ha!” Maddie stuck out a tongue at Lamar in triumph.

The redhead model giggled at their best friend banter. “So what is it you do, Lamar?”

Lamar stopped scowling at Maddie and turned his attention back to Renée. “Oh, well I'm a lawyer. I have a small firm down here with my partner, Seth O'shea.”

“That is nice.”

“We do okay, even small towns need lawyers.” Lamar smiled shyly.

Renée smiled, her eyes back on the blonde. “How are your parents, Madeline? The last I saw them was at the summer showing, your father performed a heartfelt piece. I heard Elizabeth is doing well on her tour.” She sipped her coffee witnessing the blonde stiffen.

The blonde's eyes sunk towards her half full cup. “I'm not sure, I haven't kept in contact with them since…” She felt her throat contract. “Liz is doing great though.” She forced a smile on her face.

Renée's brows wrinkled. “I'm assuming they don't approve of your lifestyle.” The blonde shook her head. The redhead model reached her hand across touching Maddie's. “I'm sorry.”

Maddie smiled at the sincere hand on hers and then glanced back up at the model. “Thanks, but it's okay. I'm okay, they still have Liz. They can mold her into whatever they want.”

But who do you have , the model thought repentantly. “Yes, she is very talented. But as I recall so were you.” She smiled.

Maddie squirmed in her seat bashfully. “Stages don't appeal to me.”

Renée pursed her lips sexily, her blue eyes dancing suggestively. “Then what does?” Maddie felt the blush before it could reach her cheeks. The redhead model looked at her watch. It was 4:15 pm. “I should get going, I have to pick up something for nana at the drug store. She gets so cranky when she doesn't take her medication on time.” She rose letting the blonde off the hook.

Maddie rose with her. “Okay, no problem. It was so good to see, you.” She reached over and hugged the model.

“Yes, you too. And it was nice meeting you, Lamar.” She took his hand and shook again.

“You too.” He smiled as she headed towards the exit.

“Madeline?” The blonde was about to sit back down when she heard her name.

Maddie whirled back. “Yes?”

Renée stood near the exit, a smile poised on her face. “Are you free this evening?”

The blonde's eyes widened. “What?”

“I mean, I'm new to this town. Maybe you know a good place to get some dinner? I would really enjoy catching up some more.”

Maddie stood there dumbstruck as the model basically asked her out. “She would love to.” Lamar cut in, rolling his eyes. “In fact she was about cook us both dinner tonight but sadly I won't be able to make it. Uh, last minute work. Perhaps you would like to take my place.” He offered with a charismatic grin.

“Oh, I wouldn't want to impose.”

Lamar nudged Maddie with an elbow, snapping her out of it. She glared at him before she smiled at the model. “Oh, you wouldn't be imposing really. I'd really like to catch up too.” She took the pen Lamar handed her and wrote her address on a serviette. She handed it to the redhead model. “This is my address.”

“Thank you, is it okay if I arrive after seven? I would like to get my nana tucked in.”

“After seven would be perfect.” The blonde let out a gracious smile.

“Okay, see you then.” The redhead model returned the smile as she stepped into the cold weather, the door closing behind her.

“You owe me.” Lamar grinned smugly.

“I… I'm not talking to you.” Maddie frowned, her arms defiantly crossed over her chest.

He chuckled. “Okay well, you can thank me tomorrow when you get laid.”

“She is not into me like that. I mean she is a model.” She glared at him.

“And you're a super hot teacher!” He said dryly. “I'm actually sad I can't watch…”

“Pig…” She shot him a dark glare and then sighed. “What am I supposed to cook?”

“That chicken pasta thing you make is nice.”

“She is a model.” She groaned. “They don't eat carbs!”

“So make soup. That beef one you make is awesome!” Lamar waved her off. “You're just looking for an excuse out of this. Sorry Maddie, there aren't any. You are going to go home and play host to a sexy model while I'm going to go home and probably sleep early.” He moaned sadly. “Who has got the better deal?”

“I suppose…” Maddie let out a heavy sigh and continued to sulk.

. . . . . . . . . . . .

 

Hayden growled when the pounding on her bedroom door drove through her head. She rolled over on her stomach stuffing her pillow over her head. “Go away!”

“You better not be naked, Hayden. I'm coming in.” Suddenly her door flung open. Her eyes cracked open to perceive an aggravated Carlos stomp into her room. “Hell, you aren't ready yet!”

Her eyes squinting at the sudden light that flew into her room, she rolled over sitting up. “Shit, what time is it?” She rubbed her eyes.

“It is almost eight.” He stated leaning against her dresser, annoyance settling in. “I have been trying to get hold of you for the past hour. Why haven't you answered your phone?”

“I never hear it ring.”She stood up, pushing him out of the way to search for her phone. “Shit, I must have left it in Conner's practice room.” She slapped her forehead, running her hand through her dark locks.

“Uh-huh, you are so not getting out of this.”

“Yeah, yeah, I know. Now, stop looking at me like that and get out so I can change.” She glowered at him. “I'll be down at ten.”

“You better.” With that he left.

Ten minutes later, Hayden treaded down the stairs. “Ready to go?” She asked when Carlos perked up his head.

He stood, his eyes scanning over her black turtleneck emphasizing her elegant curves and the necklace with the music note pendant settled evidently on her chest. Her hair left loose to reign in all its luscious glory, bringing out the deep sea blue of her eyes. “Jesus! You're hot.” He actually felt his mouth water. “Why did you have to be gay?”

“Sweet talker.” Hayden chuckled as she slipped on her leather jacket and then her gloves. “C'mon you fool let's get out of here.” He nodded as he opened the door. “Mind if we stop at Conner's first. I need my cellphone.”

“Sure…”

. . . . . . . . . . . . .

 

“Aargh… Don't remind me.” Maddie buried her face in her hands as she blushed.

Renée simply chuckled as she topped off the blonde's wine. “Oh, but your face was priceless.”

They were seated opposite each other in Maddie's kitchen waiting for the soup to cook. Maddie flustered remembering that incident clearly. “Well, what was I suppose to do? I never see another woman that –that …”

“Naked?” The model supplied deviously.

“Uh, yes…” The blonde admitted feeling like the goofy teenager she was when she first met the model.

“Ah, well I'm absolutely certain you have gotten over that.” The model waggled her brows.

“What?”

“Seeing women naked.” Renée smirked.

Maddie felt another wave of heat overcoming her. “I…” As she was about to respond, she heard the doorbell. “Be right back, let me just go see who that is.” She rushed towards the front door grateful she didn't have to answer questions about her sex life. Drawing closer she saw Smurf in front of the door wagging his tail incessantly and sniffing through the crevices in the door. “A visitor for you?” She teased the dog as she pulled open the door. Her grin gradually dissolved from her face when she took in the beautiful woman standing in front of her. Hayden felt her heart pulsate in her throat as she watched the blonde blatantly scan over her with very curious green eyes. They both stood there frozen unconcerned with the chilling weather that was blowing into the house. Maddie was nearly shoved out of the way by the excited dog.

Hayden smirked as she ran a hand through the hound's fur.”Whoa, there big guy, missed me already?” Getting the material of her gloves covered in slobber, she took that as a yes. Those exotic dark blues rose to meet Maddie's green dazed ones, remembering why she was here in the first place. “Oh yeah, sorry but, I kind of left my cellphone in the practice room. Was wondering if I could just grab it? It will only take a second.” She shuffled her feet, nervously not quite sure what to do with the reaction she was having.

Maddie snapped out of her trance that was Hayden Oliver. “Uh, yeah, sure…” She moved out of the way as Hayden stepped into the house. She wasn't certain how she was able to form any words with the sight presented to her tonight. The brunette was usually beautiful but tonight with the subtle hint of makeup that played up her aesthetic beauty it was beyond words. Her eyes traced over every feature before they fell to the brunette's chest seeing the little music note dangle. “I always wondered what that was.” She softly admitted.

“What?” Hayden asked in a low murmur. The passage way feeling a bit too small suddenly.

The blonde couldn't help herself as her fingers caressed the quaver pendant just above her breasts. Her eyes drifting back up to meet Hayden's. “This.”

“Madeline?” A voice wafted in from the kitchen, both of them turning their heads in that direction. Maddie slowly withdrew her hand when the model came into view. “Am I interrupting something?” Renée arched her brow warily, sizing up the beautiful brunette in front of her.

“What? No.” Maddie moved aside as she introduced them. “Renée, this is Hayden, my assistant I mentioned that helps me out with my music classes.”

Renée's eyes widened, impressed. “She is your assistant?”

“Yes, Hayden this is Renée. Uh, an old friend.”

Hayden's eyes narrowed cautiously as they traveled the striking length of redhead model. She felt her body stiffen in a defensive stance as the possible scenarios ran through her mind. Why would Maddie have an incredibly attractive woman in her home at this time? Friend? She hardly thought so. Her eyes widened as it dawned on her. The feeling of idiocrasy overriding her and something more she couldn't explain was boiling over. This would clarify the comment earlier today. Clearly, the blonde had moved on from that one meaningless night. After taking a moment to collect herself, she held out a hand. “It's nice to meet you.” She said, her almost friendly tone nowhere near to what the daggers in her eyes portrayed.

Renée could feel the burn of the glare but smiled through it herself. “Pleasure.”

The brunette nodded, and turned to Maddie. “I won't be long and then you can resume your evening.” Her tone was nonchalant as she strode straight through the narrow passage towards the practice room. Reaching the room she yanked open the door and spotted her iphone on the small desk in the corner of the room. She rested both hands on the desk closing her eyes, trying to breathe through the sudden rage that consumed her. Why the fuck was she angry? Maddie wasn't anything to her besides her friend . Nothing more. Wasn't she trying to convince herself that for the past few weeks? “Fuck.” She breathed. She couldn't go on like this, running in place, not sure which direction to go. She had to get over the blonde and it had to be right now. Right now…

Grabbing her iphone she walked back to where she left the two women. Her blue eyes instantly bypassing the model to lock on Maddie. “Thanks.” She waved her phone. “Sorry for interrupting your –uh date.” She cursed herself for the malice in her tone.

Maddie picked up the sudden disconnected change in the blue eyes as she watched the brunette open the door. “No, it's okay.” She answered lamely. What was she supposed to say? That it was not a date?

“Bye.” Hayden smiled at both of them but it didn't reach her eyes. Before either of the women could respond she was out the door jumping into Carlos's black Dodge. Maddie watched the car roared out into the night until it was no more in her view.

Renée observed the sullen face in question before the teacher shut the door. “Your assistant doesn't like me very much.” She stated as they made their way back to the kitchen.

“Why would you say that?” Maddie brows drew as she opened the pot. Delicious aroma wafted towards the ceiling before she began stirring the soup.

“Because…” Renée took her seat picking up her wine glass, her eyes falling on the blonde's cute behind as she was manning the stove. “She looks at me like I'm stepping on her territory.” She waited a beat, letting the wine roam around her tongue. “Am I stepping on her territory?”

“What no, she is just my assistant.”

Renée simply smiled. “But she is very beautiful.”

“Yes, she is.” Maddie replied evenly.

“Then, why aren't you and her…” The model trailed off leaving the blonde to fill in the blanks.

The blonde jerked turning back to face the model, her eyes sober. “Because she is a student at the school I teach at.”

The model's brows rose. “She's in high school?”

“Yes.”

“High school… hmmm.” The model was curious at the nature of their relationship. When she stepped into the passage it portrayed more than teacher –student relationship. Almost a kind of hidden longing. She was certain the student submitted to it but the teacher however was in denial, she mused. Maddie began stirring the soup again as Renée watched her work, her mind still reeling. “So that is the only reason keeping you both at bay?” She asked after a moment.

“Yes…” Maddie jolted at the answer that came out. “No, I mean no.” She sighed and her brows puckered as she twisted towards the redhead. “Is there a reason you are asking so many questions about my assistant?”

“I like to scope out the competition.” The redhead model merely declared, her tongue slipping out to lick the remnants of the wine on her lips.

“There is no competition.” Maddie's eyes focused on the movement of that particular muscle, she reddened when she realized she was caught. “Um, I think the soup is ready.”

“Great I'm famished.” Renée chuckled completely charmed. She knew better but let it go and her lips slid into its sexy smile.

. . . . . . . . . . . . .

Carlos spied the brunette in the passenger seat next to him. “You get your phone?” Hayden faced the window her eyes on the dark scenery that led to the Hammer mansion. There were creases in her forehead as she tried to make out the blurry trees. “Hayden?”

“Hmmm?” She mumbled, her back still to him.

“I asked if you got your phone?” He peered at her keeping one eye on the traffic in front of him. He slowed down as they were entering the Hammer premises. The large iron gates were opened wide with many cars and people who could be seen rushing into the warmth of the senator's massive home.

“Yes.” She popped her iphone into his view before settling it back into her lap.

He nodded silently, keeping a wary eye on her. She had been unusually silent for the last ten minutes, her eyes constantly etched on the darkness outside. Maybe he rushed her into this, he thought repentantly. He could barely make out the unfocused blue eyes reflecting of the glass, something different in them. More as if it lost something actually. With the volume of the music escalating as they drew closer he maneuvered across the herds of high school students. He swerved into a parking space, turning off the ignition. Before he could unlock the doors he turned to face his best friend. “Hayden?”

“Yeah, would you unlock this thing?” The door jammed on her attempts to open it.

He grinned at her frustration. “In a minute.” Then his face reappeared sober. “Could we talk for a minute?”

She turned to face him, irritation settled in. “What's up?”

He squirmed in his seat. “Well, I know it took a lot of you to come here with me…”

“If this is where you gonna declare your love for me. I'm going to punch you in the teeth.”

Carlos chuckled running his fingers through his soft luscious black hair. “Uh, no. But nice of you to point that out.”

“Heh… I thought I might as well warn you.” She shrugged.

“Cute.” He stuck a tongue out at her. He witnessed the grin she wore, but noticed it didn't reach her expressive sapphire eyes. “Look, Hayden, I mean if you're not up to it, we can go back home right now.”

“I'm fine Carlos, could you please just open the door.” He nodded and unlocked them. She was about to leave the confines of the vehicle when she felt an arm rest on her shoulder.

“If this is about your parents –” He whispered sincerely feeling her back stiffen.

Hayden eyes hooded before she turned to him with a stoic face. “They're dead. I have to get over it sometime, right?” She walked out of the car, the door slamming shut.

Carlos kicked open his door, letting it slam behind him as he stumbled out. “Wait.” He caught up to her and grabbed her arm, whirling her around. “Just wait a damn minute.” His train of thought abandoned him when he saw those frosted over blue eyes. “Jesus, are you okay?” He pulled her into a hug that she sank into despite herself.

Her eyes began to sting. She couldn't think about it. Let alone talk about it right now. “Could we please, please, stop talking about this and go have some fun?” The need in her tone was unmistakable. “Please?”

He pulled back staring into her face, using the leather of his gloves to smooth back the lines on her face. “If that's what you want…”

“It is.” She pulled out of the comfort of his embrace turning towards the greatly lit mansion. The music blasting through the cold night pulling her inside. Carlos shrugged and followed loosely behind her.

The brunette pushed through the doors, hit with warm alcohol scented air, loud chatter and deafening music. She watched as a few people ogled her briefly and then resumed whatever it was they were doing. This suited her just fine. She felt Carlos lean down next to her ear. “So what do you want to do first?”

“Carlos!” Some crazy drunk cheerleader screeched towards them. The brunette barely jerked out of the way when the girl latched herself onto Carlos's face. The force knocking him back against the wall as she straddled his hips.

“Um, looks like your busy.” Hayden chuckled softly to herself as she made her way towards the kitchen. She grabbed the paper cup of beer handed to her by the guy manning the keg. She looked at the piss looking colour in the cup as she swirled it around. Crumpling her nose, she deposited all of the contents into her throat. She hated beer but right now she wanted to be anything but sober.

She snatched another one from the guy who raised a brow. “Planning on getting drunk, baby?” He smirked, his eyes slowly trailing down the curves of her body.

Taking a sip of her beer, she eyed him. “Yes.” She smirked leaning closer to him, her warm beer scented breath teasing his ear lobe. “But if you ever call me baby again, I'll crush your balls.” She warned, her voice dangerously low, scrunching the cup in her hand. Satisfied when she heard the audible gulp she stalked off.

Maneuvering through the mass of gyrating bodies was a hardship but she managed to make it to the staircase. She sidestepped the couple that was sprawled across the steps in a full blown make-out session. Shaking her head, she picked up the two neglected beer cups beside them, downing the first one. She made it to the top with her head buzzing at this point. Twisting around in a circle she wasn't sure which direction to head in, not really wanting to try one of the bedrooms and get her fix of naked teenagers fucking. She followed the passage way until she found the glass doors that led to the large unoccupied balcony. Trying the handle, she was surprised when it merely clicked open. She stepped out into the moonlight, the cold unsettling but the alcohol running through her veins warmed her. A small serene smile touched her face when she leaned against the iron bars overlooking the lights of the entire town. She sipped on her beer her tongue going numb to the taste by now.

“It's beautiful, isn't it?” Hayden flinched and almost choked on the yellow liquid before her eyes shot behind her. “I'm sorry, I didn't mean to startle you.” The pretty blonde girl smiled apologetically. She slowly stepped onto the tiles, as Hayden frowned. There was something familiar about her. She joined the brunette at the iron railings, her brown eyes softening to the view. “It's beautiful.”

Hayden took another sip of her beer, her blue eyes following the blonde's. “Yeah, for a stuck up town.”

The blonde giggled. “I guess.” Her brown eyes turning towards the brunette with a smile. “I'm Jessica.”

The brunette nodded when it dawned on her. It was the same girl Carlos was talking about from the hallway. “Hayden.”

“I know.” Jessica smiled sweetly.

Hayden frowned into her cup, she was pretty sure she was drunk but still aware. She needed only a little more to change over to the carefree drunken version of herself. “Not all reputations are an accurate portrayal, you know.”

“No?”

“No.” The brunette smirked. “I'm much much worse.” She whispered as if it was one big secret.

Jessica found herself giggling once more. “I sincerely doubt that.”

“You don't know me.” Hayden scoffed.

“Maybe I'd like to.” The blonde boldly pulled the cup out of the brunette's hands and downed the rest of its contents.

Hayden stared at the empty cup that was handed back to her. Then back to the brown eyes that had a mischievous twinkle in them. “What makes you so special? Many have tried.”

Jessica studied the beautiful but intimidating brunette in amusement. “Really?”

“Nope.”

The blonde chuckled. “Hey, you're funny.”

“Nope, just drunk.” Hayden was trying to stare out into the woods, but was finding it hard to with the blonde staring at her. “Are you lost? The party is downstairs.”

“I heard something about that.” Jessica grinned. “I guess I'm not really interested in all that.”

“Strange of you to come to a party if you are not interested in partying.” The brunette rolled her eyes.

“I have more formidable interests.”

“Yeah… Such as?” Hayden feigned interest.

“You.”

Hayden turned her head to face the blonde admiring her boldness. “I'm hardly interesting.”

“Oh, I don't know, the more you talk, the more interested I seem to be getting.” Jessica's seductive smile didn't go unnoticed by the brunette.

“Maybe I'm not in the mood to talk?” She shrugged indifferently.

“Maybe I'd like to know what you're in the mood for.” Jessica challenged, stepping into the brunette's personal space. When the brunette made no mood to stop her, she moved daringly closer. Hayden blinked down at the blonde who had her trapped with her back against the railing. Before her alcohol soaked brain could think, a hot mouth was on hers. Jessica reached up, her fingers running through brunette locks, keeping her mouth in place until she found herself kissing back with equal fervor.

. . . . . . . . . . . . .

Renée was seated comfortably on the couch near the fireplace. She smiled when Maddie walked in with a tray of coffee, setting it on the small cherry coffee table. “You shouldn't have bothered.” She giggled. “I won't get any sleep tonight.”

Maddie handed her a cup and returned the smile. “It's Decafe.”

“In that case I won't refuse.” Renée drank and patted the seat next to her. Maddie happily obliged, sitting next to her sipping own.

“I just figured that you needed something to keep you warm. The weather here is terrible almost all the time.” Maddie giggled sinking more into her seat.

The model watched her through the corner of her eye. She set her coffee back onto the tray and adjust her body towards the blonde. “I may have other ideas about that.” She murmured, her eyes not leaving Maddie's. She took Maddie's cup from her and set it on the tray next to hers. Maddie watched with emerald eyes as the model leaned into her. Her eyes drooped when she felt soft lips collide against her own. Renée cupped Maddie's cheeks pulling her deeper, her tongue seeking entrance. The blonde was feeling a good sensation burn up from her pit of her stomach to ring in her ears. The model pulled out, her forehead leaning on Maddie's. “Madeline honey, your phone is ringing.”

“Huh?” The blonde leaned back, a little flushed. That would explain the ringing. “Just give me a moment.” She stood.

“Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere.”Renée smirked using her finger to wipe at her lipstick.

Maddie smiled as she reached for her cellphone. “Hello?”

“Ineedyououtofmyhead!”

Maddie tore the phone away from her ear at the blasting response. She glanced at the caller I.D and her eyes saucered. “Hayden?”

“Maddie –oomph!” Maddie cringed at the cracking sound. “Fuck!” Hayden felt her vision blur on her as she rubbed her forehead.

“What the hell was that? Are you okay?”

“Yeah, just broke a tree with my head.” She groaned feeling the sticky liquid seep onto her hand. She stumbled on the icy ground almost losing her footing. “Conner…” She twirled around getting dizzy.

“Are you drunk?”

“Yes.”Hayden giggled as she fell on her butt. “I had to…” I had to get you out of my head.

“Jesus! You're giggling. Where the hell are you?” Maddie asked frantically, as worry oozed in. “Are you at the party?”

“Party?” The brunette flopped back onto the frost covered ground, her eyes slightly hooded staring at the burning stars peeking at her through the trees. “I'm sure it's around here somewhere.” She chuckled waving her hand in a circular motion. Her phone slipped out of her fingers.

“Hayden! Hayden, where the hell are you?” She heard the silence on the other end. “Hayden!” Fear suddenly crawled up Maddie's spine as she dialed back. “Shit!” She cursed when she was getting no answer.

“Is everything okay?” Renée casually stepped into the passage.

Maddie's head snapped up. “No. I'm sorry I have to go find her.” She yanked on her coat.

“Who?”

“Hayden.” She pulled on her boots.

“Is she in trouble?”

“I have no freaking clue…” She scrambled around looking for her car keys. “She just phoned, and she's drunk and I don't know where she is.”

“Then why not call her parents?”

“She –they died.” Renée could see the panic bubble out of the blonde. “I have to find her.” She searched through the stack of mail. “Where the hell are my keys!”

“Is this it?” The model picked the mass of keys off the key holder and jingled it in front her.

“Yes!” She attempted to grab it but it was pulled out of her reach.

“You can't drive in this state.”

“I have to find her.” Maddie moaned, her determination getting the better of her.

Renée could see the teacher was adamant and pulled on her own coat. “Okay, but I'm driving.”

“You don't hav –”

“Shut up Madeline, I'm driving.” Maddie looked at the redhead that opened the door. “Coming?”

She nodded and followed. “Thank you…”

. . . . . . . . . . . . .

“I'm sure she is okay.” Renée reached over and placed a hand on the blonde's thigh. Her other hand was on the steering wheel as they drove towards the Hammer property.

Maddie eyes were glued to the window and tried to smile. “You're probably right.”

The blonde smiled back at the reflection in the window and shifted her eyes back to the long winding road in front of them. “How long until we reach there?”

“It's about a mile or two.” She pointed to the giant mansion through the tree's that overlooked the town.

“Well, I doubt we will have to go that far.”

Maddie frowned and looked at the model. “Why?”

“That's her, isn't it?” Renée indicated in front of them to the side of the road.

The blonde caught the dark figure in a leather jacket stumbling around on the soft ground. Then she witnessed the figure slip off the small bank of the road. “Oh Shit! Stop the car!” Before the car could ski to a complete stop, Maddie was out. She ran to the edge of the bank careful not to slip herself. Looking down she saw the brunette who was flat on her back, blinking back at her. “Shit.” She felt relief as she shimmied herself down, snow gathering on her pants. “Hayden, are you okay?” She patted Hayden's cheek wishing she remembered her gloves.

Hayden looked up into bright green eyes. The same green eyes she couldn't get off her mind. “Maddie?”

“Yes.” She looked around in the dark seeing if the brunette fell on something. Maddie inspected her, realizing she just got the wind knocked out of her. “Did you hurt yourself?” Hayden shook her head and smiled. “God, you're freezing!" She rubbed her arms furiously. “Can you stand?” Hayden nodded.

The blonde helped pull the brunette onto her feet. She felt a bit woozy on her legs so she leaned against the petit frame. “Maddie?”

“Hmmm?” Maddie looked up into the happy face seeing an innocence she hadn't ever witnessed before.

“Can we do that again?” The brunette giggled.

Maddie glared at her incredulously. “Are you crazy! You almost gave me a heart attack!” She tried to motion her towards the incline but the giggle fit wasn't helping. “Jeez, you're a worse happy drunk than Lamar. How did you end up all the way out here, anyway?”

“I ran.” Hayden ceased all laughter when she felt the wave of pain drive through her head. “Fuck! My head hurts.” She placed both hands on either side of her head, trying to stop the world from spinning. She almost floored them both.

Renée appeared on the side of the bank. “Do you ladies need help?”

“Yes, just help me get her up there.” Maddie was relieved to see the model. They both heaved the brunette up the small incline. Maddie climbed up after, squinting at the harsh headlights. The brunette used her as a crutch again when the blonde glanced over her face. She saw the small cut on the pale forehead that seemed to be crusted over with dry blood. She reached up to remove the matted hair from her face. “Is this where you hit your head?”

Hayden nodded, she shivered at Maddie's touch. “Yes.” Then she felt her eyes roll back, quickly leaning over the bank and let her stomach go.

Both Maddie and Renée grimaced. “That's lovely…” The model mumbled to herself.

Maddie rubbed small circles on the Brunette's back, holding her hair off her face until she was spent. The blonde helped Hayden back up, looking into disorientated eyes. “Are you okay, now?”

“Yes, just d-dizzy.” She stammered feeling the cold sink in. They managed to stagger towards the car, Maddie pushed her in the back settling Hayden's head on her lap.

“Where to?” Renée asked when she got behind the steering wheel.

“Okay, Hayden honey, gonna get you home, okay.” Maddie brushed wet locks of Hayden's face.

“No!” She tried to push up but Maddie held her down. “Can't go home, was s'pose to stay, Carlos. Reese, f –freak out.” She managed through clattering teeth.

“Where to?” Renée asked again as she turned the car around.

Maddie held her closer trying to sooth the cold limbs then her eyes met Renée's through the review mirror. “My house.” The model hesitated for a moment and then nodded. “Hayden, don't fall asleep.” She gently patted the brunette's cheek, her eyes popping open. “I don't think you have a concussion, but I can't be certain. Maybe we should get you to the hospital?”

Hayden's eyes widened in fear, trying to jerk up furiously. “No! No hospital!” She shook her head vigorously, tears overflowing her blue eyes. “Please, please no hospital!”

“Okay, Okay! No hospitals.” Maddie tried desperately to keep Hayden down who was wriggling violently in her embrace. She got clocked on the head by a waving hand. “Crap.” She couldn't understand what had gotten into her. “Calm down Hayden! Listen to me! Listen to me!” She shouted. “We are not going to the hospital!”

The brunette's body began to still as she looked at the blonde with blue pensive eyes. “No hospital?”

Maddie smiled, using her sleeve to wipe the tears that ran across Hayden's pale cheek. She shook her head. “Nope, no hospital, baby.” She cooed and then met Renée's eyes in the review mirror again, nodding. “Let's go home, okay?” She palmed the brunette's cheek as her eyes drifted back down.

Hayden suspicious gaze met Maddie's and nodded. “Okay.”

 

To be continued in Part 5

 

Return to the Academy