~ I See You ~

by Lady D

2011

 

Disclaimers: All of the characters in this story are fictional. Two of the characters just happen to resemble the physical features of Xena and Gabrielle.

Love/Sex: Depicts a loving relationship between two female teens.

Violence: Nope

Notes:Enjoy Part 5! Remember, I love to hear your thoughts!

Please let me know what you thought of my new characters and their story!
Feedback: leidee87@yahoo.com

Part 1


Chapter Five

Morgan drove her barracuda into the night. She had no idea where she was going and truthfully did not care. She felt like she could do anything at this moment. Following her instincts, she found herself parked outside a particular someone's house… the front of Dana's uncle and aunt's house. Before she realized what she was doing she was calling the blonde on her cell phone.

“Hello?”

“Hey, Dana it's Morgan.”

“Hey, this is a surprise… everything okay?”

“Yeah, everything is great. Unbelievable actually. Do you want to go to the carnival?”

“Yes. We're still going on Saturday, silly,” the blonde giggled.

“No, I mean now.”

There was a pause. “Right now?

“Yeah, I'm parked outside your house. We can just… go … I mean if you want.”

There was silence on the line. Morgan's heart began to beat quicker with anxiety. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea. Hell, it wasn't even an idea! She had never done anything in the spur of the moment and now she's made a fool out of herself. “Look, Dana I'm sorry. You're probably busy and I just thought--”

“Yes.”

“Huh?”

“Yes, I'll go with you tonight. Give me ten minutes?”

“Uh, sure,” the brunette sputtered, happy with relief.

“Okay.”

Morgan smiled to herself as she hung up the phone. Moments later, Dana appeared out of the house and hustled out to the car. After settling into the passenger seat and closing the door she turned to Morgan and smiled.

“Okay, so what's the special occasion?” Dana asked with a hint of a smile.

“Well,” Morgan said starting the engine. “This is the night I finally told my mother off.”

The blonde raised her eyebrows. “Really? What did you say? What did she say?” The blonde asked, fully interested.

Morgan laughed and proceeded to tell Dana about everything the entire car ride to the carnival.

 

Dana laughed loudly as Morgan chased her through the House of Mirrors attraction. The two of them had been at the carnival for nearly an hour and were having a blast. They went on practically every ride and it was now Dana's idea to play hide and seek in the maze of mirrors. Morgan had no idea how much fun Dana could be.

Morgan whipped around in a circle with a wicked smile on her face. Dana's reflection danced across a few mirrors before quickly disappearing again.

“Come find me, Morgan…” The blonde taunted.

Morgan chuckled lightly and walked further into the maze. “Oh, I'll find you.”

Something moved in the corner of her eye and she saw the blonde's image once again followed by another giggle. After another minute or so, Morgan spotted an unsuspecting Dana standing just ahead with her back to the brunette.

“You'll never find me Morgan!” the blonde called.

Morgan stifled a laugh as she slowly crept up behind Dana. Once she was within striking distance…

“Gotcha!”

Dana let out a loud yelp as Morgan surprisingly wrapped her arms around her waist from behind. “Oh, my God! You scared me!” Dana shrieked, while laughing.

Morgan was laughing herself, still keeping her grip around the blonde. “I told you I'd find you!” She announced victoriously.

Realizing her front was still flush again the back of the blonde's warm body, Morgan quickly released Dana and took a step back. That felt way too good. The blonde turned around with a grin on her face. Her green eyes were sparkling with joy and mischief. Why did this girl always have to look so beautiful? Morgan thought to herself as she tried to stop blushing.

“Thanks for bringing me here tonight, Morgan. I haven't had this much fun in a long time.”

The brunette nodded and smiled lightly. “Me either.”

Dana opened her arms wide and Morgan automatically stepped forward taking the offered hug. The embrace lasted a few seconds until, Dana let go and stepped back. “Come on, I want cotton candy and your buying.”

“Oh, am I?” The brunette questioned with a smile. Dana grabbed one of her hands and led them out of the House of Mirrors.

Dana and Morgan laughed hysterically as Morgan pulled the barracuda in front of the blonde's house. They were talking the entire ride home about their adventure at the carnival.

Morgan stifled a giggle and switched her gear into park. “Well… this is your stop, clown lover.”

“Hey!” The blonde smiled, smacking Morgan in the shoulder playfully. “Clowns are fun. And I'm not the only one with face paint on.”

“That's because you basically forced me to do it,” Morgan teased.

“I did not!” the blonde defended with a giggle.

Both girls were wearing face paint that represented animals. Dana was a cat, with gold and brown paint on her face, whiskers, and a pinkish nose. Morgan was a dog, with white and black paint. She was obviously a Dalmatian.

After a while, the laughing died down and all that could be heard in the car was their breathing. Morgan did not want this night to end and judging by Dana not leaving immediately, she felt the same.

“Morgan--” “Dana--” They both spoke at once. The two teens giggled at the awkward moment.

“You go ahead,” Morgan said.

Dana shifted slightly in her seat to face her body towards the brunette. “Morgan? What made you want to ask me to go to the carnival with you tonight?”

Morgan's heart began to race. She knew it was because she wanted to see Dana and be near her. Because whenever she looked into those green eyes she instantly felt better and safe. But she couldn't say that. Morgan slowly faced the blonde. She attempted to give a serious reply, but failed. Instantly, her face spread into a grin and she shook her head slightly.

Dana furrowed her brows. “What?”

“I'm sorry. I just can't take you seriously when you look like a cute little kitten.”

“Oh! You!” Dana pouted, whacking Morgan on the thigh. “I can't talk to you right now,” the blonde said, opening the car door.

“Oh, come on I'm sorry!” Morgan chuckled, knowing her apology held no sincerity. She watched the blonde step out of the car.

Dana turned around, leaned her hand on the doorjamb and bent down to look at Morgan. “Though you have insulted and teased me many times tonight Morgan Reed… I still had a lot of fun. Thanks.”

Morgan felt her heart swell with pride at the blonde's words. “I should be thanking you. It was kind of crazy to just say, let's go to the carni now , you know? So, thanks for going with me.”

Dana smiled warmly. “I'm glad I did. Bye Wolfie,” the blonde chuckled. Before Morgan could spit out a witty reply, Dana closed the car door and headed towards the house.

Morgan sat with her mouth agape and then slowly smiled at the nickname. Wolfie was what Dana had called her when her dog face-paint was finished. The brunette shook her head and started back home. This was definitely the best night of her young life.

When Morgan arrived home, she noticed that most of the lights in the house were off. She quietly made her way upstairs, holding a blue teddy bear she had one at the carnival. At the top of the stairs, Morgan looked down the hall and saw a light under Keri's door. Her sister was still awake. Morgan slipped into the bathroom and closed the door, flicking on the light switch. She stepped in front of the mirror, seeing her Dalmatian face-paint. She couldn't help but chuckle, thinking of Dana again.

“So long Wolfie,” the brunette said, turning on the faucet.

After washing up, she crossed the hall to her bedroom and began to change into her bedtime clothes.

“Can I come in?”

Morgan looked up and saw Keri standing in the open doorway. “Yeah,” the brunette replied, walking over to her dresser.

Keri stepped inside the room and closed the door behind her. “Are you okay, Morg?” her sister asked, sitting on the edge of the bed.

Morgan turned to Keri and smiled. “I'm fine. I just needed to get away for a while.”

Keri nodded and a smirk was on her face. “I was wondering when you were finally going to let mom have it.”

Morgan blew out a heavy breath and slipped on her nightshirt.

“Yeah, I know,” she replied, lying down on the opposite side of the bed. “I'm sorry you had to hear all that.”

Keri shifted her body to face Morgan. “Don't apologize. I think we all had to hear it. It was nice not having all the attention on me for once.”

Morgan smiled at her sister briefly and then looked down at her hands. There was a settle silence between them.

“That was a hell of a way to come out of the closet,” Keri smiled.

The brunette chuckled lightly. “With your twin psychic abilities I'm surprised you didn't pick up on it sooner.”

“I knew, Morg.”

The brunette met her sister's eyes. “You did?” Keri simply nodded. “How come you never said anything?”

Keri shrugged her shoulders. “Even though a part of me knew... I wasn't going to tease you about your sexuality or give you a hard time. It was your choice to decide when you wanted to say something.”

Morgan regarded her sister with a respectful smile. “Thanks.”

“Sure.” Keri lay next to her sister and they stared at the ceiling. “You know mom didn't say a single word to anyone after you left. She kind of just sat there like a robot.”

“Really?” the brunette said in amusement.

“Yep. I think you literally shell-shocked her. It was nice having a silent dinner though.”

Morgan chuckled. “What about Dad?”

“Dad? He actually laughed.”

The brunette furrowed her brows and smiled. “What?”

“Morg, he was laughing his ass off. He just couldn't believe how you told mom off like that and on top of that saying you were gay. He couldn't stop laughing. Especially, when mom sat there like a mute.”

Morgan shook her head and laughed lightly. “That sounds like Dad.”

“Yep.”

“I have a feeling dinner will be different from now on.”

“Most definitely,” Keri sighed, pushing herself off the bed. She stood and turned around to study her sister.

Feeling the intense gaze Keri was giving her, Morgan sat up on her elbows and gave her sister a questioning look.

“So…” Keri began. “Is there a special girl you're interested in at the moment?”

Morgan rolled her eyes and flopped back down. Unfortunately, she could not stop the blush from creeping on her face. She grabbed her pillow and covered her face.

“I knew it!” Keri rushed over to Morgan's side of the bed and hovered over her. “Is it the same person you sneak off and meet at night?”

Morgan removed the pillow from her face and looked at Keri quizzically. “I don't sneak out. And I don't meet anyone.”

Keri folded her arms. “Then where have you been for the past three hours?”

“Just… driving.”

The lighter haired brunette spotted the stuffed animal on the floor near Morgan's closet. “The big blue teddy bear says otherwise. Who were you at the carnival with?”

Anxiety gripped Morgan's heart at the question. She could not tell Keri she was at the carnival with Dana. Then Keri would for sure know how she felt about the blonde cheerleader. “No one, Keri.”

“I know it was your mystery girl because you have that… happy look.”

Morgan furrowed her brows. “Happy look? I do not have a happy look.”

“Morgan, you're practically glowing.”

The brunette slowly sat up, avoiding her sister's eyes. She did not even realize Dana had such a profound effect on her. Well, Jax did tell her she gets a certain look when she mentions Dana or thinks about her.

“Crap…” Morgan whispered, more to herself than Keri.

Keri studied her sister for a moment. “You really like this girl don't you?” she asked seriously.

Still not looking into Keri's eyes, Morgan picked at the invisible lint on her comforter. “I… I like spending time with her. She's cool.”

Keri instantly picked up on her sister's energy and knew not push for more information. That was all she was going to get tonight. With a silent nod, Keri headed out of the room. “Night, Morg.”

“Night.” Morgan was surprised her sister did not ask any more questions. In fact, she was relieved. Just then, her cell phone buzzed in her pocket. She pulled out the phone and opened the text message.

Sweet dreams, Wolfie J - Dana

Morgan grinned, feeling her heart skip a beat.

I hope that nickname doesn't stick - Morgan

I think it suits you – Dana

At least I didn't go home looking like Hello Kitty - Morgan

LOL. I looked cute and you know it – Dana

Morgan chuckled, but certainly agreed. Dana did look cute.

Ha Ha. Goodnight Dana, I had fun tonight - Morgan

Me too! Let's do it again soon. Goodnight - Dana

The brunette sighed happily and placed her cell phone on the nightstand beside her. She locked her hands behind her head and stared at the ceiling. Dana wanted to hang out with her again… and soon. After settling into bed, she closed her eyes and replayed all the moments of the night she had spent with Dana.

* * *

A week had gone by with Morgan and her mother not saying one word to each other. The dinner table was never the same. Gone were Annette's plentiful stories of her past accomplishments. She would just sit and silently eat her meal. The only time she would speak is if Keri or her husband asked her a question. Morgan would never utter a word, nor look at her mother before excusing herself from the table.

“Morgan, we need to talk.”

The brunette was sitting in the den reading a magazine when her mother's voice broke the silence. She raised her eyes and blankly stared at her mother.

“I understand you're upset with me…” Annette began tentatively. “…and I know you don't want to talk to me. So, may a say a few things to you?”

Morgan looked down and slowly closed the issue of Motor Rumble magazine she had borrowed from Dana. She tossed it on the coffee table in front of her and sat back on the couch, crossing her arms. “Fine,” she sighed.

Annette slowly made her way over to her daughter and sat on the opposite side of the couch. Morgan kept her gaze down, not ready to look into the eyes of the woman she currently despised. Annette took a settle breath and then slowly released it.

“When you and Keri were born, it was the happiest day of my life. You two were so little it scared me to death, but there you two were. And so beautiful…” Annette looked off in no place in particular, remembering a different time. “Keri was a screamer… she would cry and constantly want to be held. But you Morgan… you were so quiet. You rarely cried and never begged for attention.”

Morgan slightly glanced towards her mother but still avoided eye contact. She did not know that particular detail about herself.

“Even then you knew how to stand alone,” Annette spoke with a half-hearted chuckle. “I tried to raise you and Keri to be the same… I guess that was my mistake. As the both of you got older, you began to pull away from the dream image I had of you. And I suppose the more you tried to be different… the less I tried to understand you... and I'm sorry. I'm so sorry…” Annette's voice was shaky.

Morgan slowly closed her eyes as tears began to burn her eyes. Hearing the truth and emotion behind her mother's words was beginning to take effect and that was the last thing she wanted. She was still so upset.

“I know I always talk about my past. How I was crowned queen at practically every dance, participated in pageants, and graduating top of my class…”

Morgan rolled her eyes and wiggled in her seat uncomfortably.

“The truth is I was miserable. I only did all of that to make my mother happy. I never stopped to think about what would make me happy.”

The brunette furrowed her brows, astonished by what she was hearing.

“You always do what you want to do, despite what I think… and I admire that Morgan, but at the same time I resented it. You have the strength to do what you want and be who you want to be. I never did… and I took all my anger and frustration out on you.” Annette's voice broke and tears were coming down the older woman's eyes. “I became my mother…” she whispered in realization. “I wasn't fair to you. I haven't been a mother to you.”

Morgan turned and looked at Annette just then. She had never seen this usually well put together woman so sad… so broken. The brunette felt a pang in her heart, but was not sure what to do. She and her mother rarely displayed affection towards one another. To Morgan's utter surprise, she found herself reaching over and placing her hand over her mother's. Annette exhaled a breath of relief and grasped her daughter's hand. They looked into each other's eyes. The same identical blue eyes… both full of tears.

“Honey, I promise… from now on I will always listen to you and give you as much attention and love as I do to Keri. I am so sorry baby. You don't know how much I love you. I just didn't know how to show it because you are way different then what I thought you would grow up to be.”

“Because I didn't grow up to be like you?” Morgan asked with emotion in her voice.

“No… because you grew up better. You know who you are and what you want out of life. When I was your age I had no idea what I wanted to be or do.” Annette gently cupped her daughter's face. “You're amazing…” she whispered.

“Mommy…” the brunette whimpered. Finally, letting her tears fall, Morgan reached out for her mother and took her into a warm embrace. The both of them sat there for several minutes crying and holding each other. Morgan never thought this moment would ever happen. Things were going to be different now.

* * *

Jax and Morgan stood in the school hallway, waiting for the first period bell to ring. The brunette had just finished telling her best friend about the truce between her and her mother.

The redhead gave her a crushing hug and pulled back with a smile. “That's awesome, Morg! I never thought your mom would do that in a million years.”

“Yeah, I know. It's really bizarre, but she meant every word. It's a lot easier liking her than trying to avoid her.”

Jax chuckled and nodded his head in agreement.

“Hey, any word from Gary ?”

The redhead's eyes lit up upon hearing his brother's name and he smiled. “Yeah, I did a skype with him yesterday. He's doing okay. Mom says he looks too thin and needs to eat more. He said he eats fine. Mom didn't believe him of course.” Jax laughed to himself, remembering his brother's antics. “So, then he grabbed two pop-tarts and scarfed them down like a garbage disposal so Mom would get off his back. It was hilarious!”

Morgan laughed lightly, imagining Gary being silly. “He would do that. I'm glad he's doing okay.”

“Me too.”

Suddenly, two hands covered Morgan's eyes and all she saw was darkness. “Guess who,” a voice whispered near her ear. The brunette instantly smiled, recognizing the voice.

“Um… I'm not sure. But I do smell kitty litter.” The hands were removed from her eyes and replaced by a playful punch to her shoulder.

Morgan chuckled, turning around to see bright green eyes smiling up at her. “Oh, you!” Dana scolded playfully. The brunette's heart skipped a beat seeing the blonde in her cheerleading outfit. God, this girl is hot. Morgan was fighting an internal battle with herself in order to stop her eyes from checking out Dana's body from head to toe.

The blonde turned to the stunned boy watching their playful banter. “Hi Jax,” she smiled.

“Hey, Dana,” he got out.

The two girls looked at each other once more with smiles on their faces. “So, Wolfie… I wanted to know if you were going to my birthday party next weekend.”

Morgan shook her head with a grin. “I told you, Dana. I don't socialize with cheerleaders.”

Dana put her hands on her hips, raising her eyebrows.

“Okay, I only socialize with two cheerleaders. But…”

Dana giggled and shook her head. “I know you're not coming silly. I just asked to be polite,” she smiled.

“Ah, right… but I will have a super cool present for you.”

“Yeah?”

“Yep.”

They looked into each other's eyes for moment. Morgan absolutely loved the playful gleam in Dana's eyes. She was beautiful.

“Okay, Wolfie. I'll look forward to it,” the blonde said, before turning and walking away.

Morgan watched her for a while, a light smile on her face. When the blonde disappeared from sight, the brunette snapped out of her trance and looked at Jax. The red-haired teen had his mouth open in awe.

“What?” the brunette asked.

“Um, what the fuck was that Morgan Reed?”

“Jax…”

“Who's Wolfie?”

Morgan rolled her eyes and smiled lightly. “I'm Wolfie.”

“Since when? You two are all buddy-buddy! When did this happen?”

The brunette shrugged. “After we went to the carnival last week.”

“Well, I know you said you had a good time but geez. Looking at you two… anyone would think you were dating.”

Morgan gave Jax a quizzical look. “She's straight, Jax. We just like spending time together that's all.”

“Right…” Jax replied with a nod of his head. “Does she even know you're gay?”

“No. I'm ready to tell her. I don't know if I even will.”

“Morg, you'll have to eventually. Otherwise she'll think you don't trust her and you'll have all that soap opera drama if she finds out.”

Morgan nodded. “I know.”

Jax studied the brunette. “Wow. This must be killing you, huh? Hanging out with Dana, talking… hugging … when all you really want to do is kiss her,” he teased.

“Shut up,” Morgan scoffed, trying to brush off the truth of her friend's words. This was not her greatest comeback, but that was all the brunette could think of at the moment. Just then the school bell rang, much to Morgan's relief. She was getting sick of the smug and knowing grin on Jax's face. “See you at lunch,” she mumbled, before heading down the hall.

She hated to admit it, but Jax was right. Every moment of everyday, her mind was plagued with thoughts of Dana. She loved those green eyes. She loved the crinkles that formed around Dana's nose whenever the blonde smiled. She loved how whenever the sun hit Dana's hair it seemed to turn a different tint, almost red. And she loved… damn it she was in love.

Later that evening, the brunette was lounging on her bed talking to Dana on the phone. She was telling the blonde how she had finally patched things up with her mother.

“Morgan, that is so wonderful,” the blonde spoke sincerely. “I'm glad things are good between you and your mom.”

The brunette bit her bottom lip. Her mind automatically began to compare her relationship with her mother and Dana's relationship with her mother.

“So…” Morgan began hesitantly. “Have you heard anything from your mom lately?”

Dana sighed heavily. “No… actually… I haven't seen or spoken to her since that night. My uncle has gone to see her. I'm just not ready to face her. I'm still angry.”

“Yeah, I get that.”

“It's just… I love my mom. I do. I just don't like what she does, you know?”

“I know exactly what you mean.”

There was silence on the line for a moment.

“You know what Morgan?”

“What?”

“I like talking to you.”

The brunette was taken aback by the blonde's words, but pleasantly surprised. “I like talking to you too, Dana,” said with a light chuckle.

“How come we never talked before?”

“Um, well let me think. You're a popular cheerleader and I'm a nobody,” the brunette tried to joke.

“Morgan, don't say that,” the blonde spoke in a serious yet sincere tone. “With everything that you've done for me, I personally know you're a great person with a sweet heart.”

The brunette could not breathe. Did the blonde just say she had a sweet heart? Morgan couldn't stop the smile from spreading across her face.

“Plus, you seem to like the same cars I do so you're okay in my book,” the blonde said.

Morgan laughed and was soon followed by Dana. This girl was amazing. Morgan suddenly felt like saying those three words that always seemed to be on the tip of her tongue, but she knew that was impossible. I love you.

So, instead Morgan chuckled and held her tongue.

“Don't ever say you're a nobody. You got that Wolfie?”

“Got it.” I love you.

* * *

 

Over the weekend, Morgan worked tirelessly on Dana's birthday present. She wanted it to be perfect. Instead of drawing, Morgan thought she would paint something for the blonde on a small canvas. She had the best idea of what to create and she couldn't stop working on it. That is until her mother told her to take a break and eat lunch.

Morgan was on her way down the steps that led to the kitchen, but stopped short when she heard Dana's name mentioned.

“Aren't you going to the movies with Dana this evening?” Annette asked Keri, as she cleaned the kitchen.

Keri swallowed her bite of peanut butter and jelly sandwich and shook her head. “No, that's not until next weekend. Plus, I was at her party yesterday so we've seen enough of each other at the moment,” Keri chuckled. “Anyway, she has a hot date tonight with this football player named Patrick.”

Morgan's heart sank and she felt as though all the air was knocked out of her lungs. No longer feeling strong enough to stand, she had to sit on the steps. Of course Dana had a date. A girl like her never stays single for long.

“Morgan! Come down and get your lunch!” Annette called.

The brunette did not want to go downstairs in that moment, but could not ignore the growling of her stomach. She took a deep breath and slowly exhaled before standing and descending the stairs.

“Hey,” she said, putting on a fake smile. “What are we having?”

“PB & J,” Keri replied. She turned her head to the side and gave Morgan a curious look.

Morgan saw the gears turning in her sister's head. There goes that damn twin intuition. The brunette avoided eye contact with Keri as she made her way to the counter and grabbed her plate.

“Mom, I'm gonna wrap this up and go out for a while. I need to get out of the house,” Morgan said, pulling aluminum foil out of the cabinet.

“Okay, sweetie,” Annette replied.

“Where are you going?” Keri asked curiously, raising an eyebrow.

“I don't know,” Morgan shrugged. Maybe Jax's house.” With her lunch wrapped up, she grabbed her keys and headed out the door.

“Drive careful. No speeding,” Annette warned.

“Okay,” the brunette replied, before closing the door behind her.

Instead of going to bother Jax with her broken heart, she went to the junkyard and sat in an abandoned car eating her sandwich. Her barracuda was a no food zone. She made sure of that. Morgan's thoughts went to Dana. The brunette did not even have the heart to put the final touches on her gift to the blonde. Her inspiration and hope had been ripped from her.

Dana is going on a date with stupid Patrick the football stud. He can never treat her the way Dana was supposed to be treated. Anger and hurt boiled within her as she thought of Patrick kissing Dana or holding her hand. Man, this was killing her inside. How can one girl have such an affect on her?

Morgan sat in the car for another half an hour when her cell phone rang loudly, startling her. “Shit,” she whispered, pulling the phone from her pocket. She looked at the screen and saw that it was Jax calling.

Not really in the mood to talk, she pushed END and settled back in the tattered leather seat. Moments later her phone rang again. It was Jax. Rolling her eyes she finally answered the phone.

“Geez, Jax what's so important?” she grumbled.

Instant alarm struck her as she heard her best friend crying on the other end. “Hey,” she said softly. “Jax, what happened?” The brunette sat up and waited for an answer.

Taking a shaky breath, he finally found his voice. “ Gary …” Jax whimpered. “He's dead…”

 

To Be Continued


I always love to hear from you guys!

Feedback: leidee87@yahoo.com

Return to the Academy

Author's Page