First Date

by

Mickey Minner

mickeyminner.com

Copyrighted January 2016

This is a prequel to my story Smugglers Cove

(available at my Academy of Bards page)


Standing in front of a brick building, Sarina Lindeen pulled a slip of paper out of her pocket. “Guess this is the place,” she told herself after comparing the address she had written several hours earlier to the numbers painted in white above the door in front of her. She stepped up onto a wide concrete landing then pulled the door open and entered the building. Surprised by what greeted her, she gazed around the room.

The café was modeled after a 1950s diner with a counter and stools along the right side of the long narrow room and a line of booths along the left side. The tables were metal framed around tops of laminate and the benches were covered with pea green cushions. A jukebox, its rainbow of bright lights flashing brightly, stood at the near end of the counter. The café's walls were covered in memorabilia of the fifties including pictures of favorite actors and actresses of the time. The front end of an old Chevy hung on the wall opposite the doorway leading to the cooking area; its polished red paint reflecting the ceiling lighting.

“Sit anywhere you like, hon,” a middle aged woman said as she hurried past carrying a pair of plates balanced on one arm and a coffee pot in her other hand.

Sarina studied the diners scattered about the cafe. Noting that most were couples and the only diner sitting alone was a young man, she headed for an empty booth under the Chevy. She had barely settled on the cushioned bench before the waitress was standing beside the table.

“Just yourself?” the waitress asked setting a glass of ice water and menu on the table.

“Uh, no… I'm meeting someone,” Sarina replied.

“Be right back,” the waitress said then spun around and hurried away. “Want something to drink while you wait?” she asked after returning with a second glass of water and menu.

“No, I think I'll wait.”

“I'm Maddy… give a holler if you need something. Otherwise, I'll check back when your friend arrives.”

“That's left to be determined,” Sarina murmured watching Maddy check in on her other tables. A few minutes later, the café's door opened and a woman approximately her own age entered. She watched curiously as the woman looked around the café then started toward her.

“Sarina?”

“Guilty.”

“Oh, good,” the woman said with a relieved sigh. “Stupid me, I forgot to ask my sister what you looked like,” she added slipping onto the bench on the opposite side of the table. “I was afraid I'd spend all night having to walk up to single women and ask them their names. Don't you just hate blind dates? I'm Brenda, by the way. But I guess you've probably already figured that out.”

Unsure how to respond to the various comments tumbling out of Brenda, Sarina just smiled hoping Maddy would re-appear quickly.

“Oh, crud,” Brenda mumbled spotting the mixed look of confusion and fear on Sarina's face. “Sorry,” she said reaching for her water glass. “I have a tendency to ramble when I'm nervous.” She took a mouthful of cold water then let it slowly roll down her throat. “Shall we start again?” she asked in a more controlled tone. “I'm Brenda Buchanan… it's nice to meet you,” she said extending her hand across the table.

“Sarina Lindeen,” she said grasping the hand for a moment then releasing it. “Likewise… I think.”

Brenda laughed. “I know… I can be slightly terrifying at first.”

“Slightly?” Sarina teased with a grin.

“Are you ladies ready?” Maddy had returned for their orders.

“I think I need a few minutes,” Sarina informed the waitress and reached for her unopened menu. “Sorry, I haven't even looked at this.”

“No problem. I'll be back.”

“So what's good here?” Sarina asked knowing Brenda had chosen the location for their meet.

“Everything. I like their chicken salad but the burgers and sandwiches are pretty good, too. And they make wonderful milkshakes.”

“Hmmm,” Sarina pondered studying the various menu choices. “I don't know if I should have the James Dean or the Fess Parker,” she stated after finding every option was named for an actor or actress.

“James Dean can be spicy,” Brenda warned.

“So, I've heard.”

Brenda laughed. “Seriously… it has a bite to it.”

Sarina grinned. “Heard that about him, too.”

“Did I give you enough time?” Maddy asked, her pen and pad held up and ready for use.

“Fess Parker,” Sarina said. “And a butterscotch milkshake.”

“I'll have the Annette Funicello… dressing on the side. And same on the milkshake.”

“Sounds good. I'll be right back with those shakes.”

“Does she ever slow down?” Sarina asked after Maddy collected their menus then quickly walked into the kitchen to give the cook their orders. “You'd think this place was packed the way she's scurrying about.”

“That's just Maddy,” Brenda replied slipping off her jacket.

While Brenda was occupied folding her jacket and setting it on the bench beside her, Sarina took the opportunity to gather her thoughts. “I agree with you about blind dates,” she said after a few moments.

Brenda tossed her a curious gaze. “Then why agree to this one?”

“You first.”

Brenda grinned. “I was dumb enough to ask my sister for a favor. She would only agree to it if I agreed to meet you.”

“Must have been one heck of a favor,” Sarina said drolly.

“It wasn't but she's been bugging me for a month about you so I figured this was the only way I could shut her up.”

“Gee… thanks.”

“Oh, hell, I didn't mean it that way,” Brenda quickly apologized, a blush coloring her neck.

“You're cute when you blush.”

The comment caused Brenda's embarrassment to deepen and her face showed it. “I really am sorry,” she said nervously. “I sometimes speak without thinking.”

Sarina smiled. “Don't worry about it… I'm not offended.”

“Good. Now what about you? Why did you agree?”

“Two butterscotch milkshakes,” Maddy interrupting setting two tall glasses filled to their brims with the ice cream treat and a generous amount of whipped cream topped with a cherry. Then she set two metal mixing cups beside the glasses, each half full with more milkshake.

“They sure don't skimp on the shakes,” Sarina declared surprised by the amount of milkshake sitting on the table in front of her.

“They make them the old fashion way.” Brenda stuck a straw into her glass then sucked up the cold liquid. “And they're really good,” she said after swallowing. “Go ahead… give yours a taste then you can tell me why you're here.”

Sarina did as she was instructed. “That is good,” she said smiling a few moments later. She plucked the cherry off the mound of whipped cream and put it into her mouth.

“Want mine?” Brenda asked innocently.

With eyes almost popping out of her head, Sarina just barely managed to keep the partially chewed cherry from exploding out of her mouth as she looked befuddled.

“Oh, damn,” Brenda exclaimed, her neck and cheeks a deep red. “That is not what I meant. I don't like cherries,” she quickly explained reaching for her jacket. “Oh, shit, I better go. I'm making a damn fool of myself,” she moaned.

“No, you're not.”

“Yes, I am.”

“I think it's cute. Stay… please.”

“You could have choked to death.”

Sarina grinned. “I can think of worst ways to go.”

Brenda studied the grinning face across the table then, unable to stop herself, she laughed. “That was probably the stupidest thing I've ever said.”

“Lucky me,” Sarina said reaching across the table to remove the cherry from Brenda's milkshake. “Thanks.”

“I can't believe you haven't run for the door yet.”

“No place to go,” Sarina replied sadly. “You wanted to know why I agreed to this date… that's why.”

“I don't understand.”

“Let's say I didn't relish another Saturday night sitting home… alone.”

“But you're pretty. And you have a great sense of humor. You must have women hanging all over you.”

“Problem is they don't hang for long. I think I must have some personality quirk that I've yet to identify But others seem to see it and before long its slam bam, thank you ma'am, and they're gone.”

“They're loss.”

Sarina smiled. “Oh, really?”

“Stop that… I swear I've blushed more tonight than in my entire life.”

“It looks good on you.”

Picking up her fork, Brenda poked it into her salad. “We better eat,” she said quietly.

Sarina picked up her hamburger and took a bite. Chewing slowly, she examined her thoughts about the evening and debated the pros and cons. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't ignore her attraction to her dining companion. “I do hate blind dates,” she said after several minutes of silence. “But I'm damn glad I agreed to this one.”

In the process of lifting a forkful of salad from her plate, Brenda froze. “You're kidding… right?”

“Why would I? You're a good looking woman. You're funny.” Oh, what the heck… I've got nothing to lose , Sabrina told herself. “And I'd love to spend more time with you,” she added hesitantly.

“Really?”

Sarina nodded.

“Wow. I can't believe my sister was finally right about something.”

“Uh?”

“She said that you were perfect for me and there wasn't anything I could do or say to screw it up.”

“Well, I have to be honest… offering me your cherry before I even knew your name was close,” Sarina said wiggling her hand back and forth.

Brenda let out a loud burst of laughter. “You shit,” she exclaimed flinging her forkful of salad at Sarina.

 

“I think we should leave before they throw us out,” Sarina commented pulling her wallet out of her pocket. They had finished their meals and Maddy had cleared the dirty dishes almost an hour earlier.

“Nope,” Brenda said reaching for the ticket resting on the end of the table. “My treat.”

“Uh, uh,” Sarina countered snatching the tab off the table before Brenda could. “I'll pay… I haven't had this much fun in years.”

Brenda thought for a moment. “One condition.”

“Being?”

“We have dinner next Saturday and I pay.”

“No.”

“No?”

“No. I pick you up first thing tomorrow morning and we spend the day doing something,” Sarina counter-offered.

“Doing what?”

“Anything.” Sarina shrugged. “I don't know… walking… talking… whatever.”

“All day?”

Sarina nodded. “All day,” she insisted.

Brenda chewed on her lower lip for a moment. “What do you mean by first thing in the morning?”

“Nine.”

“Eight.”

“Deal. Wanna shake on it?” Sarina asked in jest.

“I'd rather kiss.”

Sarina smiled. “Ab-so-lute-ly.”

 

 

The end… or is it?

 

#

 

Return to the Academy

Autor's Page