Slam Dunk

by

Mickey Minner

mickeyminner.com

 

Part 1

This story is a sequel to my stories , Fast Break and Footsteps (Ghost Towning) . You may want to read the preceding stories before reading this one. Fast Break and Footsteps (Ghost Towning) can be found on my on my website – mickeyminner.com

 


CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

 

“Hey, Coach,” Kelley greeted cheerfully peeking around Pat's office's door on Thursday morning.

“Morning, Kelley,” Pat replied after spinning her chair around.

“Something interesting out there?” Kelley asked moving into the office.

Pat shook her head. “No,” she said having spent the past several minutes absently staring out the window. “You know me… I hate sitting around waiting for time to pass,” she explained glancing at the clock on her desk. It was an hour before practice was due to start and six hours before the bus would arrive to take the team to the airport. “Any of the players here yet?”

“A couple… any idea what you want to do with them today?”

“Let's run them thru some warm-up and stretching exercises. Then some shooting drills to burn off their nervous energy before we have to squeeze into a plane.”

Kelley nodded. “Think Mac will ever get a plane that has enough leg room for us.”

“I keep hoping,” Pat said. “Get with Sherry and come up with a series of drills… nothing too strenuous.”

“I didn't see Sherry in the locker room…”

“Most likely she's shooting free throws,” Pat said pushing her chair back. “I'll go look for her… I'm going nuts sitting here.”

“Coach, I just saw Jackson heading for the court.”

“Let's go,” Pat said jumping up from her chair. The phone on her desk rang before she could take a step. “Dammit,” she snapped looking at the LCD display. “It's Mac… will you…?”

“On my way,” Kelley said hurrying out of the office.

#

Sherry retrieved the ball that had just dropped through the net and dribbled back to the free throw strip. Squaring up to the basket, she heard someone trotting toward her.

“Seems to me, you don't really need any practice making those,” Jackson stated stopping a few feet away.

“Did it ever occur to you,” Sherry said re-focusing on the basket, “that I make the shots because I practice?” She released the ball then watched it arc toward the hoop and drop through the net.

“You really don't remember me, do you?” Jackson asked after chasing down the ball and walking back to the annoyed assistant coach. Standing on the opposite side of the free throw line, she held the ball loosely tucked under her elbow.

“Is there a point to this, Jackson?” Sherry asked exasperated with the rookie.

“Just wondering how you can destroy someone's life and then forget all about them.”

“What the hell are you talking about?”

“ Holiday tournament. Let's see… you would have been a senior, I think.”

Sherry scanned her memory. Having a losing record, her college had played few tournaments. And those they were invited to were mostly beneficial only for the host school trying to boost their records by playing powder-puff teams. “I vaguely remember a tournament around Christmas one year. What about it?”

“End of the game… we were ahead by one point with only seconds to play. All we had to do was hold onto the ball but you made a cheap move against me… went down and scored the winning basket.”

Sherry smiled at a memory. “Oh, yeah. That was you?” she asked in amazement.

“My coach blamed me for that loss,” Jackson spat the words out.

“What's that got to do with me?”

“You should have been called for a foul.”

Sherry laughed. “You're an ass,” she said then quicker than Jackson could react, she reached out and punched the ball away from the rookie's crooked arm. “That's about how you were holding it that night, too,” she told the surprised rookie. “So maybe the reason your coach blamed you was because you were being lazy… again,” she added bluntly. “Jackson, I'm really tired of your game. Give me the ball and get into the locker room where you're supposed to be.”

“Don't tell me what to do, you bitch,” Jackson growled. “You think you're so special, don't you. You make a cheap play and the refs look the other way… and I pay the price. I sat the bench most of that season before I got back into the starting lineup. All I wanted to do was play pro ball and you ruined that for me.”

Sherry looked at the rookie then looked around the arena. “Correct me if I'm wrong, Jackson… but aren't you on the roster of a pro team? I'm pretty sure you are.”

“I'm sitting the bench.”

“That's got nothing to do with me,” Sherry said, her eyes narrowing as she glared at Jackson. “You're a lazy player. You want to blame someone, look in the mirror.”

“Maybe I should have slept with Coach… bet that would have put me in the starting line-up.”

“You are way out of line, Jackson. I'm warning you—”

“You're warning me… what a laugh.”

“Jackson!” Kelley barked running into the arena. “Shut up!”

The rookie's eyes never left Sherry as shook her head. “No… this bitch is going to admit what she did to me,” she declared harshly.

“Admit what?” Sherry asked in amazement. “That you were lazy in a game four years ago and I took advantage of that? Okay, I admit it. Happy?”

“You are such a b—”

“You call her that again and I'll break you in two,” Pat growled charging up to the others.

Jackson smirked. “Ah, look who we have here… you come to save your little damsel in distress?”

“Jackson, will you shut up,” Kelley demanded.

“No,” a voice came from the opposite end of the court where Mac had entered the arena unnoticed and was walking toward them. “Go ahead, tell your story,” she encouraged Jackson when she reached the others.

“Another savior,” Jackson sneered at Sherry. “Geez, you've got everyone coming to your defense… do you sleep with them, too?”

Pat reached for the rookie.

“Back off,” Kelley ordered pushing Pat away from the others.

“Get out of my way,” Pat growled trying to free her arms from Kelley's grip.

“Pat, chill out,” Mac told her head coach.

Hands clinched into fists, Pat stopped fighting her assistant coach while her eyes remained fixed on Jackson.

“Are you going to behave?” Mac asked her head coach.

Sherry moved to stand beside her incensed lover. “She'll behave,” she assured the owner.

Mac addressed the assistant coach. “Kelley, would you mind keeping them in the locker room,” she said indicating the players gathered at the end of the corridor.

“Sure, Mac,” Kelley agreed then trotted over to usher the players away.

Mac turned to the rookie. “Go on,” she barked. “You've been busting a gut all season to mess up their relationship. Now's your time… but have the decency to tell them what this is really about.”

“Screw you,” Jackson angrily responded.

“Okay, then I'll tell them,” Mac offered nonchalantly.

Jackson laughed. “As if you have a clue.”

Mac smiled. “Oh, I have more than a clue… much more.”

“Mac, what the hell is going on?” Sherry asked.

“Considering you have a game to prepare for,” Mac told Pat and Sherry, “I'll give you the short version now and fill in the details when we get to Toledo.” She turned to face Jackson. “Yes, you were benched after that game but not because you gave up the ball and your team lost. Your coach benched you because of your attitude.”

“What a surprise,” Sherry muttered.

“Bull shit,” Jackson stated. “That's not true—”

“Oh, it's the truth,” Mac cut the rookie's denial off. “I called him and asked. He said all you did after that game was whine that no foul had been called on Sherry. He got tired of listening to you… especially since you weren't putting out much effort in practices.”

“Another surprise,” Sherry commented. “So she's spent all season claiming we had a relationship back whenever just to get even over that damn game?”

“No, that's not what's really behind this,” Mac said turning back to her two coaches. “Miss Jackson has left out one small detail… but a very important one. You see, her dorm roommate that year was Mandy.”

“Mandy?” Sherry squawked in surprise.

“I didn't even know she went to college,” Pat said.

“She went for one year… didn't even manage to finish that before deciding her need for an education dropped as my bank account grew.”

“So what if we roomed together?” Jackson asked.

Turning to face Jackson, Mac smiled. “Oh, child, you are not the first to fall under Mandy's manipulations. She's kept in contact with you over the years, hasn't she? You see, Mandy likes to keep her possibilities open… and you are a possibility for her.”

“What are you talking about?” Jackson asked.

“Tell me, when you let Mandy know you had signed a contract with the Cougars, how long was it before she reminded you of that game back when?” Mac watched Jackson chew her lower lip as she considered the question. “My guess not very long... am I right?”

Sherry laughed. “You have been played for such a fool,” she told the now uncomfortable woman standing before them. “Did Mandy happen to tell you that she spent the last couple of years trying to force herself on Pat?”

“Of course she didn't,” Mac answered for the rookie. “I'm sure she kept that little tidbit to herself.”

“What if she has? What's that got to do with me?” Jackson demanded.

Now Pat laughed. “You idiot. She was using you to cause problems between Sherry and me so she could try and worm her way back in.”

“Sheesh, I wonder if Dawn knows about this,” Sherry murmured.

“Knowing my niece… I rather doubt it,” Mac stated. “Let's cut this short. Miss Jackson, you wanted a shot playing pro. You had it and you blew it. Since you are not on the active roster, I see no reason for you to travel to Toledo.”

“You can't do that.”

“Yes, I can. You're done on this team.”

“Not before the championship game,” Jackson protested ardently. “But I'm part of this team,” she declared weakly.

“Not any more,” Mac told the player. “You can consider your contract cancelled… which it will officially be at the conclusion of Saturday's game.”

“No, I'm not giving this up. What harm have I done?”

Sherry quickly covered the distance between herself and Jackson. “You tried to ruin the best thing I have in my life,” she hissed right into the rookie's face.

Mac signaled two security guards that had been waiting at the end of the court. “Escort her to the locker room, out of the building, and off my property,” she instructed the burly guards. “I never want to see her in here again.”

“Yes, Mrs. Christopher,” one of the guards said placing a hand on Jackson's arm.

“This isn't fair?” Jackson screamed yanking her arm out of the guard's grasp. “I deserve to be at that game.”

“What a nut case,” Pat muttered.

“One more thing, Miss Jackson,” Mac said stopping the guards. “When you talk to Mandy, tell her I'm flying to LA immediately after Toledo.” She nodded at the guards who immediately started to urge Jackson off the court.

“One freakin' game,” Jackson called back over her shoulder. “Just let me stay for one more freakin' game.”

“Does she really think she earned that right?” Sherry asked unbelievingly.

“Like I said… what a nut case.”

“Well, that's done,” Mac stated with a sigh.

“I can't believe Mandy was behind all of this crap,” Sherry said.

“Never underestimate my niece,” Mac told them. “She's a conniving little…” she let the thought drop. “Well, think you'll be able to concentrate on Toledo after this?” she asked her coaches.

“Mac, you do ask a lot of us,” Pat replied then smiled. “Knowing this is finally over… we'll be able to concentrate.”

Sherry leaned against her lover and smiled when she felt a strong arm circle her waist. “Mandy… jeez, I wouldn't have guessed that in a million years. Mac, you really need to do something about her.”

Mac grinned. “Don't worry… Mandy is about to find out there are consequences for being a… jerk.”

Pat laughed. “I'd love to see her face when that boot drops on her head.”

“I can arrange that,” Mac offered.

“Nope,” Sherry said shaking her head vigorously. “Leave us out of anything having to do with Mandy… please.”

Mac laughed heartedly. “I'll do that. Now, you better get to your team before they bowl over Kelley trying to get out here.”

“Oh, boy, this is news that I'm more than happy to give them,” Sherry said.

“So true,” Pat agreed.

“I'll see you at the airport,” Mac said with a wave as she turned to return to her office.

“What a morning,” Sherry declared while Pat motioned for Kelley and the players to join them.

“Yeah, and we still have five hours until we leave for the airport.”

Emotional drained from the confrontation with Jackson, Sherry grunted. “Ugh! I need a nap.”

“I need a beer.”

“That too.”

#

The bus rolled onto the tarmac and continued past the regular terminals.

“Aren't we stopping to go through security?” Terry asked.

Pat shrugged. “Seems that would be a no,” she replied.

“I thought only people flying on private planes got to skip security,” Sherry said looking out the window beside her.

Pat peered out the same window. “Me too.”

“Wow! Would you look at that,” Val exclaimed.

“Is that really for us?” Dimchek asked in awe.

Pat and Sherry, along with several players, shifted to the opposite side of the bus.

“It sure does look like it,” Pete said.

The bus pulled to a stop next to a plane and the driver opened the door. “That sure looks nice, Coach,” he said as Pat bounded down the steps followed closely by Sherry then the rest of the team.

“How about that?”

“It's beautiful.”

“I can't believe it's ours.”

“It is ours? Isn't it?”

Moving away from the awestruck players, Pat walked closer to the plane.

“Like it?” Mac asked her head coach.

Pat gazed up at the plane, its silvery skin sparkling in the bright afternoon sun. Emblazoned on the tail section was the head of a screaming cougar, the team's mascot. Painted on the plane's side, Missoula Cougars stood out in royal blue and gold cursive lettering. Underneath, the team's name was painted Champions . “We haven't won yet, Mac.”

“We won last year,” the owner responded matter-of-factly.

“Thought we had to win this year to get this.”

“I figured the team earned it.”

“It's pretty,” Sherry said as she joined Pat and Mac. “Very, very pretty.”

“Can we go onboard, Coach?” Pete yelled.

Pat looked at Mac.

“It's your plane,” Mac told the players with a smile.

One after another, the players rushed up the set of moveable steps exclaiming Thanks, Mac as they hurried past the owner.

“This is really going to piss off Buttram,” Sherry observed looking up at the plane.

“Maybe it will help her convince Tomkins to open up her pocketbook,” Pat commented of the Los Angeles team owner.

Mac laughed. “Not in a million years.”

The door on the luggage compartment was slammed closed and a pair of airport workers ran to roll-able staircase to move it away from the plane before it taxied to the runway.

“Well, shall we join the team?” Mac asked then led her coaches up the steps.

#

“I can't believe I can stretch my legs out without jamming my knees into the seat in front of me,” Sherry said doing just that and leaning back in her seat. The excited talk of players seated behind her was drowned out by the drone of the plane's engines.

“Hmmm.”

“This was really nice of Mac.”

“Hmmm.”

“Honey, I think my pants are on fire and my hair is falling out.”

“Yeah, nice.”

Sherry laughed then poked her elbow into her distracted lover's arm. “What are you concentrating so hard on?” she asked leaning over to see the paper Pat was drawing on.

“Hey,” Pat protested when Sherry's head blocked her view. “What are you doing?”

Sherry twisted her head to look up at Pat. “I told you my pants were on fire and my hair was falling out and all you could say was nice .”

Pat looked at Sherry in confusion. “What?”

“Never mind,” Sherry said snatching up the paper and returning into her own seat. “Pat, this looks like the layout of the house,” she said pointing to the sketch. “And that looks like the spare bedroom next to ours. What are those?” she asked pointing to boxes drawn inside the room.

“It's nothing,” Pat answered reaching for the paper.

Sherry studied the sketch. “Honey, is this a nursery?” she asked lowering her voice.

“Um… maybe.”

“Really?”

“Would you like it to be?” Pat asked quietly.

“Pat, what are you saying?” Sherry asked, a slow grin spreading across her face.

“I've been thinking,” Pat said twisting in her seat to face her lover. “Since I was a kid, my life has revolved around basketball. And that was okay because I really didn't want anything else. But now I have you… us. And I want more than just basketball.”

“So you want to have a baby?” Sherry asked cautiously.

“I want us to have a baby… a family,” Pat said hopefully. Then taking a huge leap of faith, she decided to do something she had been thinking about for several weeks. “Sweetheart, I know this isn't exactly the most romantic place to be doing this,” she said slipping off her seat to kneel in front of Sherry. “But will you do me the honor of becoming my wife?”

Sherry felt tears well in her eyes. “Oh, Pat,” she gasped.

“Is that a yes or no?” Pete asked peeking over the back of their seats.

Sherry laughed then hiccupped. “It's a yes, you sneak,” she said swiping a hand at her intruding friend.

“Well, it's about time,” Pete happily declared then stood and turned to address the rest of the plane's occupants. “They're engaged!”

“Not exactly the way I envisioned this happening,” Sherry said cupping Pat's face in her hands and gently guiding her up off the floor.

“I'll make it up to you,” Pat whispered as their lips met.

#

To Be Continued...

 

Return to the Academy

Autor's Page