Slam Dunk

by

Mickey Minner

mickeyminner.com

 

Part 1

This story is a sequel to my stories , Fast Break and Footsteps (Ghost Towning) . You may want to read the preceding stories before reading this one. Fast Break and Footsteps (Ghost Towning) can be found on my on my website – mickeyminner.com

 


 

Seems I created some confusion with the previous posting of Chapter 39, so I'm going back a bit in the story to correct that. Chapter 40 (the conclusion) follows the update.

 

Nineteen seconds to play – Cougars 69 – Beachcombers 70

 

“She has to come out, Coach,” Lizzie demanded as soon as the obviously disoriented Sherry reached the bench.

“No,” Sherry barked.

“That's the agreement,” Lizzie insisted.

Pat looked at the trainer who glared back at her. She looked at Sherry who looked pleadingly back at her. With a sigh, she looked at the rest of the players who looked hopefully at her. “I need her in there,” she finally said.

“Pat, you agreed—”

“Dammit, Lizzie, I need her on the court. If I take her out, they have one less shooter to worry about.”

“She can barely stand,” Lizzie continued her heated protest.

“I'm fine,” Sherry declared after sucking down half a bottle of water. She shook her head vigorously then stood up. “See… I'm not dizzy anymore,” she lied to the irate trainer.

Pat placed a hand on Lizzie's shoulder. “I just need her on the court for one more play,” she told the concerned woman.

“You're putting her in danger,” Lizzie insisted.

Knowing the trainer was speaking the truth, Pat turned to Sherry. “It's your decision.”

“I'm in,” Sherry quickly stated.

“You're both crazy,” Lizzie said then retreated back to the end of the bench.

“Hudson, Dimchek, you're in… Latesha, Val, you're out,” Pat informed her players.

“Coach,” Latesha protested.

“Trust me,” Pat assured the worried player. “Listen up… with Hudson and Dimchek, we have our strongest shooters on the floor. But LA is going to think either Sherry or I will take the winning shot… and, most likely, they'll focus on me— glory hog that I am. Here's what we're going to do… Dimchek, you do the inbound. Get the ball to Pete. Sherry and I will be working the left side of the key… I'll go low, Sherry will go high. Pete, make a show of wanting to pass off to Sherry or me. Hudson, I want you to fade over to the other side of the key. If they're focused on Sherry and me, you should be open. Pete will get you the ball. Hudson , when you have it, shoot it .”

“I need your team on the court,” the official told Pat.

“Let's go.”

When Hudson and Dimchek rushed to the scorers' table to report into the game, Buttram called for a time out.

“Okay, gather up,” Pat told her players. “Listen, there's probably going to be time on the clock for LA to go down and score after we do. We have to make sure they don't. So after Hudson makes her basket, choose a player and stick on them like glue. I don't want them getting the ball past mid-court. Got it?”

“Got it, Coach!”

“Good.”

“Coach?” Hudson said nervously.

“Yes.”

“Um… are you sure I should be the one to take the shot?”

Pat smiled at the rookie. “Hudson, if I wasn't sure, you'd still be on the bench,” she said reassuringly. “That shot is well within your range. I know it and your teammates know it. Not one of them is questioning you taking it.”

“That's right, kid,” Pete told the rookie. “It's your shot.”

“Don't question yourself,” Pat calmly told Hudson . “You know you can make that shot… so make it.”

Hudson nodded determinedly. “Okay, Coach.”

Pat placed her hand in the center of the huddle. “Cougars,” she shouted as soon as her hand was covered by her players.

“Cougars!!”

When the huddle broke, Pat trotted onto the court with Sherry. “No heroics,” she told her point guard. “All you need to do is make LA believe that you're getting the ball and taking the shot… okay?”

Sherry nodded.

Dimchek stood at the side of the court waiting for the officials to start play. Her teammates were lined up in a single row opposite her with LA players intermixed among them.

The official beside Dimchek blew her whistle then handed the ball to the Cougar.

Dimchek slapped the ball sending her teammates into motion.

Sherry took a cautious look behind her then backpedaled away from the rest of her teammates.

Pat and Hudson ran toward the basket.

Pete took a pair of steps to her left then changed directions and ran back toward Dimchek.

Dimchek passed the ball to Pete.

Pete dribbled to the top of the key, her eyes switching between Pat and Sherry.

Stevens was guarding Pat.

Standing at the three point line, Sherry called for the ball.

Stevens hesitated then ran toward Sherry.

Waving her hand in the air, Pat sliced through the key screaming, “Give me the ball.”

Three LA players collapsed on Pat.

Pete spun around and faked a pass to Sherry.

Sherry stretched out her arms as if expecting the ball to arrive in her hands.

Stevens glanced over her shoulder to see how close the ball was. Instead, she saw Pete pass to a completely unguarded Hudson. “Get her,” she yelled pointing across the court.

Hudson caught the pass, looked up at the basket and fired.

The ball hit the side of the rim, bounced up against the backboard, then dropped back down onto the rim.

Pat, Pete, Hudson, and Dimchek ran to establish rebounding positions.

The ball rolled a few inches around the basket's top before dropping inside the rim to roll completely around the metal circle only rise for a moment back to the top of the rim.

Everyone in the arena held their breath.

After a slight wobble, the ball finally fell… dropping into the net.

 

Eight seconds to play – Cougars 71 – Beachcombers 70

 

“Time!” Buttram yelled over the cheering Cougar fans.

Pete ran over to Hudson. “Great shot, rookie,” she said lifting the player off her feet.

“It almost didn't go in,” Hudson exclaimed after being returned to the floor.

“Ah,” Pete said draping her arm across the rookie's shoulders as they walked to their bench, “it was just putting on a show for the crowd.”

“It about made me wet my pants,” the rookie admitted as her other teammates added their praise to Pete's.

“Listen up,” Pat shouted to quiet her celebrating players. “I only have one thing to say… DEFENSE.”

“Got it, Coach!”

“Oh, and one more thing… great shot, Hudson,” Pat added grinning at the rookie. “Let's go. Oops, forgot something,” she said looking at Sherry. “You sit. Val you're in.”

“I can—” Sherry began to protest.

“Sit… you can sit,” Pat said firmly. “No arguments.”

“Yes, Coach,” Sherry yielded.

#

Stevens stood close to the end line waiting for the inbound pass.

Pat, Hudson, Pete, Dimchek, and Val had all taken up positions along the mid-court line. As they waited, they pointed out the LA player they would guard when play resumed—Pat pointed at Stevens.

The official blew her whistle and the inbound pass was quickly thrown toward Stevens.

Just as the ball was about to hit her outstretched hands, Stevens saw it snatched out of the air.

Pat wrapped her arms around the ball then stood in front of the LA player as the clock ticked down.

Batting at Pat's arms, Stevens tried to knock the ball out of her grasp.

Refusing to budge, Pat glared down at the shorter point guard. As the game-ending buzzer sounded overhead, she leaned in close to Stevens. “You're a worthless cheap shot player,” she snarled.

“Screw you,” Stevens snapped.

“Not a chance,” Pat hissed as an official stepped between them.

 

COMPLETION OF CHAPTER THIRTY NINE

 

“Game is over, ladies,” the official said pushing Pat and Stevens apart.

“Until the next time,” Stevens sneered looking over the official's shoulder at the irate Cougar.

“Looking forward to it,” Pat declared.

“Hey, Coach,” Pete yelled running up. “Come on… we won. You're missing the celebration.

Still glaring at Stevens, Pat allowed Pete to pull her away from the confrontation.

“Forget about Stevens,” Pete said. “She's a jerk,” she added raising her voice to insure the Los Angeles player would hear.

“I have other words to describe her,” Pat grumbled. Most of her players were piled in a tangle of arms and legs in front of the Cougar bench as they celebrated their victory. But Pat's attention was focused on the one player sitting on the bench.

Sherry was bent over at the waist holding her head in her hands and her eyes tightly closed. “Can you do anything about the spinning room?” she groaned to the woman sitting beside her.

“I think you need to go to the hospital,” Lizzie responded.

“No, thanks.”

Pat knelt in front of Sherry. “You okay?” she asked concerned that her lover was in obvious distress.

“Why do I always land on my head?” Sherry asked daring to barely open one eye to gaze at Pat. “Hey,” she exclaimed, “you're not spinning… and there's only one of you.”

Pat offered a hesitant grin. “I hope that's good news.”

“The best,” Sherry assured as she slowly rose to a more upright position. “Oh, that's so much better,” she said relieved she no longer felt like throwing up.

“I still think she should go to the hospital and get checked out… just to be safe,” Lizzie told Pat.

“Honey, I think she's right.”

“I'll go see Jillian when we get home… I promise. We can give her a call as soon as we get back to the hotel.”

“In the meantime, I'm keeping my eye on you… any more problems and you are going to the hospital,” Lizzie insisted.

“Coach,” Kelley interrupted the women, “they want to start the trophy presentation.”

Pat glanced up at her assistant. “Okay,” she said pushing up off the floor. “You stay put,” she ordered Sherry.

“I feel fine,” Sherry protested.

“Good. Sit there and feel fine.”

“Not fair,” Sherry pouted. “I want to hold the trophy.”

Pat laughed. “Only person going to get near that trophy is Mac. Now be a good girl and stay put… please.”

 

#

CHAPTER FORTY

 

After a full night of celebrating, the team had flown home Sunday morning to be greeted by a large, exuberant crowd at the airport; many of them following the team bus back to the arena for a celebratory party Mac had arranged. After a few hours of partying, Pat gathered the team in the locker room. She thanked them for their hard work and let each player know they were expected back for the next season.

Tuesday morning, Pat sat at her desk clearing up loose odds and ends. Hearing someone tap on her open office door, she looked up to see a woman standing uncomfortably just outside the opening. “Dawn?” she greeted the ex-Cougar player quizzically.

“Morning, Coach. I, ah… I was hoping you might have a few minutes to… um… talk.”

“I'm not sure Coach Buttram would take too kindly to you being here,” Pat told the Los Angeles player.

“I don't think she'll care… she cut me after the game.”

“Sit down,” Pat said motioning the nervous woman into her office. “That's strange considering the shenanigans she went through last season to get you on her squad.”

Dawn shrugged then dropped into one of the available chairs. “Is… is Sherry around?” she asked. “I was kinda hoping to talk to both of you.”

Pat shook her head. “She's at home resting. She's still having problems with dizzy spells,” she said harshly.

“I'm sorry… that was a cheap shot.”

“I'm glad someone in your organization feels that way,” Pat said leaning back in her chair. “Stevens is still giving interviews claiming it was just an accident.”

“Look, Coach, I tried to stop it,” Dawn defended against Pat's hostile attitude. “Buttram wanted me to take Sherry out… I refused. I thought she'd drop it but that idiot Stevens volunteered to do it.”

“Buttram? Buttram wanted Sherry taken out?”

Dawn nodded. “Sherry was scoring too much… and everyone was getting tired of trying to guard both of you. Buttram thought that was the only way to guarantee the win. Take her out and you'd be too worried about her to play.”

“Didn't work out for her, did it?” Pat snapped angrily.

“No,” Dawn responded simply.

Pat studied her ex-player. “You said no, huh?”

Dawn nodded. “Hey, I still have nightmares about… well, you know. I never want to have something like that on my conscience again.”

“You growing up, Dawn?” Pat asked thoughtfully.

“It's been a long year of learning experiences… made me take a good look at myself.” Dawn slumped against the back of the chair. “For what it's worth… I had no idea Mandy was up to her old games with you. If I had known, I would have stopped it.”

“How'd you find out?”

“Mrs. Christopher showed up Sunday night looking for Mandy.” Dawn couldn't help smiling as she thought back on the scene that had unfolded in their small apartment. “She lit into Mandy like a bat out of hell… backed her up against a wall screaming at her. Told her she would have her thrown in jail if she could come up with a charge for what she and that Jackson gal did. Told Mandy to stay away for the Cougars and Missoula; and she said Mandy could kiss any inheritance goodbye. She wouldn't waste another dime on such a worthless human being … her words not mine.”

“I bet Mandy liked that,” Pat said sarcastically.

“Heck, by the time Mrs. Christopher ran out of insults, you should have seen the look on Mandy's face.”

“I can only imagine,” Pat said with a wry grin.

“First time I ever saw that girl speechless.” Dawn shifted in the chair. “Anyway, when I heard what Mandy and, her friend, Jackson had been doing, I packed up and left. Mrs. Christopher found me sitting on the curb in front of the apartment with no place to go. When I told Buttram had cut me, she offered me a ride back here on the Cougar plane. By the way, that plane is sweet… it sure torked Buttram and Tompkins off when we taxied up next to it in Toledo.”

Pat laughed. “I think that was Mac's plan.”

“Well, it sure worked. Tompkins couldn't stop swearing about it all the way to the hotel.”

“Kinda stupid to get that worked up over a plane,” Pat noted.

“Yeah.”

Pat studied the young woman sitting opposite her desk. “So… no team… no Mandy... Why did Mac think you needed to come back here?” she asked knowing Dawn was not from Missoula.

Having relaxed over the past several minutes, Dawn was suddenly nervous again. “Um… I, ah… damn, this is difficult,” she muttered.

“Just say what you came here to say,” Pat said.

“Look, Coach, I know I was a major screw up last year… but I really have changed.” Dawn looked at Pat fretfully. “And Mrs. Christopher said you had an opening for a post player,” the words tumbled out.

Pat considered the comment. “I'm sorry, Dawn, but I really can't have Mandy anywhere near this team… or me,” she said honestly. “And you've got a relationship with her.”

“Not any more… she and I are done,” Dawn stated emphatically. “There's no way I'll take her back… I don't care what she might say to me. You don't know half of the crud she's pulled… I don't want to deal with her anymore.”

“You're sure.”

“Absolutely.

“I'm not taking on any more players with crappy attitudes. You and Jackson proved that's a no-win situation.”

“I've changed, Coach. I've really changed.”

“You'll have to tryout again… no guarantees.”

Dawn started to look more hopeful than anxious. “None expected.”

Pat reached into her desk drawer and pulled out a sheet of paper. She slid it across her desk then placed a pen within the player's reach. “Give me an address… I'll send you an invite to camp. That's all I'm offering… an invite. The rest is up to you.”

Smiling, Dawn leaned forward to grab the pen. “E-mail addy okay?” When Pat nodded, she started writing. “I'm probably going to stick around here for the summer,” she said pushing the paper back across the desk. “I'll let you know when I find a place.”

Pat looked at the paper before placing it back in the drawer. “I'm serious, Dawn. You show up for camp, you be prepared to work just like everyone else. Any trouble and I'll boot you out.”

Dawn stood up and stretched her arm over the desk. “I'll prove myself, Coach,” she promised.

Pat grasped the offered hand.

“Um, any possibility I could get a copy of your summer training requirements?”

Pat lifted a paper off the top of similar pages on her desk and handed it to Dawn.

“Thanks.”

“We'll see you at camp.”

#

For a long time after Dawn left, Pat wondered if she'd made the right decision allowing the player back into the Cougar organization. Finally, she decided that everyone deserved a second chance—even Dawn. “But if she hasn't changed,” Pat told the empty office, “she's outa here.” She locked her desk then stood up and stretched out her back grimacing when a sore spot protested. “Next year, Stevens,” she declared walking around the desk, “your ass is mine.”

Pat's plan was to leave the arena and return home to check on Sherry but hearing muffled sounds caused her to detour toward the locker room. Crossing the outer office, she pushed the connecting door open and looked inside. The room appeared empty but the subtle sounds continued. “Ah, it's you,” she said walking around the end of a row of lockers to find Pete sitting in front of an open one.

“Hey, Coach,” Pete said halfheartedly. She was leaning back in a thickly padded leather chair with her feet propped up on the bottom of the locker.

“Cleaning things out?” Pat asked sitting on the adjoining chair.

“Yeah.”

Pat squirmed in the overly large chair. “Damn, these things are uncomfortable,” she grumbled.

“Not to mention worthless for getting dressed to play. Too bad you haven't been able to talk Mac into replacing them with a nice bench like every other locker room in the country has,” Pete said of the constantly complained about furnishings.

“Maybe I'll make that my goal for next season.”

Pete chuckled. “Good luck with that, Coach.”

Pat sighed and settled back on the chair. “Don't you think maybe it's time to drop the ‘Coach'?” she asked the retiring player.

“Yeah, maybe it is. How's Sherry?”

“Resting per doctor's orders.”

Pete laughed. “I bet that went over well,” she said dropping her feet to the floor then reaching into her locker to remove a few remaining items then placing them into her equipment bag. “Any plans for the off-season?” she asked. “Other than getting married?” she added grinning.

“Haven't even talked about that one yet.”

“Why not?”

“Sherry wants to wait until we are officially on vacation. How about you? Any plans… other than getting pregnant, that is?”

“Nah.” Pete zipped her bag closed then sat back. “Still trying to wrap my head around leaving the game… I've been playing ball for a lot of years.”

“Gonna be hard to walk away.”

Pete nodded. “Yeah.”

Pat glanced at her friend still staring into the recently emptied locker. “Want a way around that?”

Pete turned to look at Pat. “What have you got?”

“Well, let's see… I'm going to be short one assistant coach next year.”

“Where's Kelley going?”

“No where.”

Pete looked mystified. “You've only got two assistants and I know for a fact that Sherry isn't going away.”

“Nope, she's not. But she's decided to stick to playing.”

“She's giving up coaching?”

Pat nodded. “Position is open… if you're interested.”

“I'm serious about starting a family,” Pete stated.

“Okay.”

“That won't be a problem?”

“We'll work it out.”

Pete leaned back. “I don't know,” she murmured.

“I don't need an answer today,” Pat told her friend. “Talk it over with Keith. Having kids is expensive… the extra income might come in handy.”

Pete smiled. “You trying to buy me?”

“Nope. I need a guard coach. Some people think you'd make a pretty good one.”

“What about you?”

“Wouldn't be making the offer if I thought otherwise. Besides, I'd hate to miss you sweet face around here,” Pat said grinning. “Not to mention your friendship.”

“We'll still be friends, Coach.”

“You know how it is… things change… people drift apart,” Pat said growing serious. “You've been a good friend to me, Pete. And I'd hate to lose that,” she said clasping Pete's shoulder. “Talk it over with Keith,” she encouraged with a light squeeze.

“Okay.” Pete stood then bent down to retrieve her bag. “But, no matter what, I expect Auntie Pat to change some diapers.”

Pat laughed. “Not the stinky ones,” she declared standing. “You headed home?”

“Yes. What about you?”

“I have to go pick up Sherry… we have a meeting with Mac.”

“Tell Sherry I'll give her a call later.”

“Sounds good.”

Pete carried her bag to the end of the row then stopped and turned around. “Thanks, Co— Pat.

“You do know if you take the job you'll have to go back to calling me Coach ,” Pat said sternly.

Pete grinned. “How about I just call you ass ?”

“That's Coach Ass to you,” Pat said bursting into laughter.

“How does Sherry put up with you?” Pete asked shaking her head at the giggling woman.

“She loves me,” Pat called to her retreating friend.

“Good thing somebody does,” Pete called back as she left the room.

#

“I would have paid money to see Mac take on Mandy,” Sherry said as she and Pat rode the elevator up to the team owner's office.

“No kidding... Mac could have made a fortune selling tickets.”

“Even though Mandy deserved it, I bet it wasn't easy for Mac. They are family, after all.”

“I think Mac kept her wallet open more for her sister than her niece,” Pat observed as the elevator stopped and the doors opened. “Otherwise, she probably would have cut Mandy off a long time ago.”

“Good afternoon.”

“Hi, Gail,” Sherry cheerfully greeted Mac's assistant.

“How are you feeling?” Gail asked.

“I'm good.”

“But the doctor says she has to take it easy for another week,” Pat quickly added.

“Waste of time,” Sherry muttered.

“I think it's a good idea,” Gail stated. “Mac said to send you right in when you arrived.”

“Thanks, Gail. Is she going to give you any time off?” Sherry asked following Pat to the door at the back of the lobby.

“Oh, yes. After today, I get a whole month off… paid,” Gail said excitedly.

Pat pulled the door open then waited for Sherry to enter Mac's office. “'Bout time Mac gave you a raise,” she whispered to Gail with a wink.

#

“Well, if it isn't my two favorite ladies,” Mac greeted Pat and Sherry.

“Uh oh,” Pat grunted walking across the large room.

“Oh, don't be so suspicious,” Mac told her head coach. “First things first… how are you, Sherry? And don't lie because I read all the medical reports this morning.”

“I'm good,” Sherry answered settling into one of the chairs opposite Mac's desk.

“No dizzy spells? Concussions are serious business.”

“Not since Sunday. And if you read the reports, you know that I did not suffer another concussion.”

Pat frowned. “Just a very big bump on the head,” she said sitting in the other chair.

“Whatever you want to call it… I'm glad you're doing okay.”

“Thanks.”

“Did Montgomery come to see you?” Mac abruptly changed the subject.

Pat nodded. “I told her I'd give her an invitation to camp… but I wasn't going to guarantee anything.”

“Fair enough,” Mac said tapping her keyboard to bring the computer to life. “Let's see… Tonie is retiring. And Pete. Any other personnel changes I need to know about. Players who want to be traded… or you want to get rid of?”

Pat shook her head. “I told everyone I wanted them back next year.”

“That makes it easy,” Mac said. “I hate having to negotiate new contracts.”

“Sorry, Mac,” Sherry started, “there are a couple of contracts that will need changes.”

“And that would be?”

“Ours,” Pat told her boss. “Sherry is going back to just being a player.”

“And you?”

“I'm going back to being a head coach full time.”

Mac sighed. “I must admit that news is disappointing,” she said reaching for a pair of folders resting on her desk. She smiled. “Disappointing, but not unexpected,” she said pushing the folders across her desk. “New contracts for each of you.”

“You knew we were going to do this?” Sherry asked reaching for her folder.

“I expected it. Coaching is hard enough. And I normally would never allow one of my coaches to do it and play.”

“But you let us do it.”

“Be honest, Pat, how would you have taken it if I had refused?”

“I probably would have been pissed off,” Pat admitted.

“And you would have pouted the whole season,” Mac said. “And that nice, shiny trophy would not be on display downstairs.

“I don't pout,” Pat protested.

Sherry grinned. “Yes, you do, dear.” Just last night you pouted for an hour after I beat you at Monopoly.”

Pat glared at her lover. “I wasn't pouting… I was—”

“Pouting,” Sherry and Mac said at the same time.

“Bah!”

Sherry laughed then turned her attention back to her boss. “Mac, if you didn't want us to do both, why are you disappointed that we're giving it up?”

Smiling broadly, Mac leaned back in her chair. “Because you two are fun to watch; and you fill the arena seats… And I would love to see a rematch between you and Stevens.”

“Probably better I won't be on the court next year,” Pat said sharply.

“Most likely. Oh, you might be interested in knowing that Teresa called me this morning,” Mac said of the Los Angeles team owner.

“What did she want?” Sherry asked.

“She wanted me to know how sorry she was that you fell but accidental injuries are part of the game.”

“Accidental, my ass,” Pat grumbled.

“Yes… well, I informed her that I had had a rather informative discussion with one of her ex-players—”

“Dawn?” Sherry asked.

Mac nodded. “And that I knew it was no accident. And I knew that Buttram had ordered it. And I had already sent a formal request to the league offices asking that they review the game's film. I suggested she might want to prepare for some league action against her coach and player.”

“What did she say to that?” Pat asked.

“She hung up on me,” Mac replied chuckling. “Now, about those new contracts… I suppose you will want to read them over.”

Sherry leaned forward to take a pen out a coffee cup on Mac's desk. “You know they do make pen holders,” she said as she flipped through the contract to the final page.

“What's wrong with the one I have?” Mac asked puzzled.

Sherry grinned. “Nothing. From what I can see the only thing that changed is my position and salary… right?”

Mac nodded.

“Thanks for the raise, Boss,” Sherry said adding her signature to the document.

“Raise?” Pat quickly flipped through her contract. “Wow! Thanks, Mac,” she said taking the pen from Sherry's hand.

“Of course, I do expect some things in return.”

“Yes, we know,” Pat said tossing the folder back onto the desk. “You expect a three-peat.”

“That would be nice,” Mac told her head coach.

“We'll do our best,” Sherry pledged.

“That's all I ask.” Mac pressed a button on the corner of her desk before adding her signature to both contracts. “Would you make copies of these, please,” she told Gail when she opened the office door.

“Of course,” Gail replied crossing to the desk to retrieve the folders.

“Anything else you expect from us?” Pat asked after Gail left the room.

Mac smiled. “An invite to your wedding.”

“You're already on the list, Mac,” Sherry said.

Pat's snapped around to stare at her lover. “What list?”

“Honey, I'm on bed rest for a week… I have to do something to pass the time.”

“How long is this list?”

“Not very… but then, I've just started making it.”

“Sherry, I said a small wedding.”

“I know. But you didn't say anything about the reception… or the shower… or the honeymoon.”

“The honeymoon,” Pat squawked. “Who do you plan to have on the honeymoon?”

Sherry grinned at her stressed lover. “Just you, sweetie. Just you.”

Mac laughed then stood up. “Seems you ladies have some talking to do.”

“I'll say,” Pat snapped. She pushed up from her chair then tugged Sherry onto her feet. “Do you realize how freaked out you have me right now?”

Sherry giggled. “Yes.” She wrapped her arms around her stressed lover. “I'm kidding, sweetie. I haven't started any lists.”

Gail re-entered the room with their copies of the contracts.

Sherry took the papers from Mac's assistant. “But when we start the wedding list, you'll be at the top, Mac.

“Miss Gallagher—”

“You'll be on it, too, Gail,” Sherry assured the woman. “Now Pat, you better get me back home before Jillian calls to check up on me.”

#

When the elevator doors closed, Pat pulled Sherry into her arms. “Can you believe the raise Mac gave us?”

“No, I thought it was a typo.”

Pat laughed. “Is that why you signed so quickly?”

“Heck, yeah. I wanted my signature on that contract before she realized it.”

“I love you,” Pat declared their lips almost touching. “So just where do you want to spend our honeymoon? Hawaii? Paris? New Zealand?”

“Disney World.”

Surprised by the response, Pat pulled back a few inches. “Disney World?”

Sherry nodded. “Can we stay for a whole month?” she asked hopefully.

“You really want to?”

“I really want to.”

“It's going to be expensive.”

“We just got some pretty fat raises.”

“Okay… why not?' Disney World for a month.”

“And we switch resorts every week.”

Pat grinned. “And we switch resorts every week,” she agreed.

“I love you, sweetheart,” Sherry whispered just as her lips were captured for a long kiss.

#

 

THE END

 

Return to the Academy

Autor's Page