Disclaimer: See Part 1

If you wish to send them to me, my email is jacklavigne13@hotmail .com

It Should Be Me

by

Mikaeli Hooper

 


Chapter Two

Here we are again, on the road that would lead us back to the Amazon village. After packing our things, we had gone to my mother's tavern and stayed there for a few days until she was ready to leave. She had hired help to look after the tavern while she was gone so she could accompany us. Alexandria and I hardly spoke though I desperately wanted to. She avoided me most of the time and would only be around me so she could be near Eve. She had missed the child that had become like a daughter to her. It was no better once we were back on the road, though she did have less places to hide which is how I found her tonight after we had stopped for the day to set up camp.

It had been almost half a moon since she had barged into my bedroom and back into my life. We were now only a days ride from the Amazon village and I wanted to speak to her before we got there. Once we had everything set up, I watched as Alexandria quietly snuck away from camp, making some excuse as she wandered into the forest that surrounded us. I made sure that my mother was fine with Eve before following her into the darkness. It was hard to track her as her steps were so light that there was almost no evidence of her at all. A few flattened blades of grass and a broken twig was all I could find. I heard the sound of rushing water and followed it, hoping that Alexandria was heading in the same direction.

I walked into the clearing to find Alexandria seated on the bank of a river. She had her feet in the water and seemed to be deep in thought, though not deep enough to not notice my arrival. She turned to me with a raised eyebrow as she leaned back on her elbows. "Stalking me?"

"I like a challenge," I shrugged with a small grin as I sat down beside her. "You don't make it easy. You were very hard to find."

"Well, that was the plan," she muttered as she gazed into the water. There was silence for a few moments and I cherished just being able to sit with my old friend. She caught me gazing at her and raised her eyebrow once more. "What can I do for you, Xena?"

"I just wanted to talk to you, actually," I found myself getting nervous as I sat beside my ex lover. What could I possibly say to her? I'm sorry? This woman had trusted me with her heart and I had ripped it to shreds. I didn't seem like anything I'd say would be enough. Thankfully, Alexandria saved me from saying anything.

"Xena," she sighed softly as she turned to face me fully. "We don't have to do this, really. I understand. You and I weren't meant to be and it's really that simple. I should have let you go sooner. If I had, maybe we wouldn't be in this mess. Maybe it would be your wedding I was going to. Let's just leave the past in the past, okay?"

We gazed at each other in silence and a part of me still wanted to say more, but my throat was too tight with emotion so I nodded. She gave me a small smile before turning back to the river and splashing her feet a little bit. "So, what's the plan, Xe?"

"Plan?"

"Yeah, you know," She shrugged with a thoughtful expression on her face. "What are you going to do when we get to the Amazon village? How are you gonna get the girl?"

I sighed as I lay back on the soft grass, putting my hands behind my head as I gazed up at the sky. The sun was setting and I knew that by this time tomorrow we would be in Amazon territory. I hadn't really thought about what I would do when we got there. I didn't know if I could stand being around Gabrielle while she planned her wedding. I shrugged as Alexandria turned to look at me with questioning eyes.

"I thought as much," she muttered with a small smile. She cocked her head for a moment before grinning mischievously at me. "Seems as though we are both being stalked now."

I nodded and didn't bother moving as I listened to the rustling of leaves. It only took a few moments before several women dropped from the trees surrounding the small river. I turned my head and caught sight of an old friend and felt a little better about visiting the Amazons. "Hello Eponin."

"Hey guys," Eponin grinned as she sauntered towards us happily. "Didn't expect to find you two here."

"Didn't expect to be here," I mumbled to myself, wincing as Alexandria punched my thigh. I winked playfully at her before returning my attention to the Amazon Weapons Master. "What are you doing out here, Ep?"

"We," she gestured to the rest of the women around her. "Were sent out to escort the Queen's friends and family into the village. I didn't think you would be coming though, to be honest. But I'm glad you're here, Xena."

"Oh?" Alexandria questioned the Amazon with a raised eyebrow.

"Yeah, I was secretly hoping you'd come to stop this stupid wedding. I don't know what the Queen was thinking when she accepted Miranda's proposal," Eponin shook her head with dismay as she sat down beside us. "Those two are not suited for one another. They fight so often and so furiously that half of us are scared they'll kill each other."

"Well, that should make things easier," Alexandria winked at me and I suppressed a smile as I breathed a silent sigh of relief. If Gabrielle and her partner weren't happy then I didn't have to feel so bad about showing up to their wedding with the purpose of stopping it.

If I could just get Gabrielle alone for a little while and talk to her, then maybe she would change her mind. Hopefully, she would realize what we've both been too stubborn to accept. I smiled to myself as I listened to Alexandria and Eponin talk. I had hope for the first time since we set out on our journey; hope that it could still be me. Hope that I could still be the one for Gabrielle.

 

*********

 

The sun was setting as our group rode down the trail leading to the Amazon village. It would be less than half a candlemark before we made our entrance. I had stayed up last night thinking and making plans and had finally come to a decision about what I would do. I pulled Argo to a stop and waiting for everyone around me to slow before speaking.

"I think I'll leave you here," I said as my companion's all stared back in me in confusion. The only one who didn't seem the slightest bit surprised was Alexandria who was smiling knowingly. She had a look in her eyes which said 'I know what you're doing and I love it.'

"You're not coming to the wedding?" Eponin asked in disbelief, her eyes wide. "But, I thought..."

"I'm coming to the wedding," I reassured my friend with a small smile.

"She's just not coming into the village," Alexandria finished for me with a smirk.

"Why, Xena?" My mother asked with a frown.

"I don't want to make things awkward for Gabrielle," I shrugged, only half lying. "It'll be easier for everyone if I just camp in the forest. I'll make sure I come in a visit."

Everyone seemed to relax with that information and said goodbye to me after making me promise to visit the village the next evening for dinner. Alexandria hung back with a grin.

"Seeing if she'll come to you first. I have to admit, Xena, i've always loved your style."

 

#

To Be Continued

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page