Disclaimer: See Part 1

Part 11 of The Birdie Series

 

 

Birdie's Song

XI

Six Moons

Part VII

 

This chapter has two poems because the writer didn't send all of Part 6 last time….

@@@@@@@@@@@@@&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

In the darkness far away, the Conqueror became one with her horse racing the darkness. She patted the golden neck. “Pace yourself girl,” she whispered, “I know you can feel my anxiety.”

The warrior could not see the celestial beings which joined her.

“Bartholomew, you know what to do. Be a gentleman,” Marcus whispered, “Argo, do you understand why we are here?”

The golden horse nodded. “Will you accept our help?”

Argo felt a surge through her body and blood which was lightning barely harnessed. Her strides lengthened and increased speed subtly at first, but then with the power of a hundred horses, she seemed to take wing.

“You know what you are doing, “Xena whispered, “We have a ways to travel, but we will rest, dearest companion.”

She looked up, “Artemis must be with us, because the moon and stars are almost day bright.” “Thank you My Lady, “she whispered, “thank you for aiding me in my urgency.”

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

The torches shone brighter, I estimated less than a candle mark to prepare.

Suddenly, there were torches to my left. My heart jumped into my head, making me so dizzy, my knees buckled.

“Easy, dear, “my mother's gentle arms enfolded me and we drifted to the stone, “It is only our friends coming, a random assortment of Amazons and the ‘hairy women'.”

I could see now that the hairy women had divided work into two groups. Some carried torches, and others rolled huge bales of hay and sticks.

A young woman, only a few seasons round older than I stepped forward and looked up at the wall, “I Princess Shan, of DOZ, first daughter to chief. We bring fire to fight fire. We defend this village.”

Gabrielle walked down the steps and out the great gate, “We thank you for coming Shan, “my mother was queen born. She had a graciousness which I needed to study.

“Why don't you roll your fireballs out just beyond the big oak, “she instructed. “We want the fire to impair the enemy, not us.”

“It is done, “the girl bowed to my mother who caught her by the shoulders, “No bowing between friends,” she commanded. “Thank you.” She kissed the girl's hair.

I could see warrior's shoulders straighten as Shan stood proudly, “We wait your signal, My Lady.” She turned to direct her women.

My mother returned to the wall. The DOZ fireballs were a definite advantage. “Fire with fire, “she murmured to herself, “Birdie, we can do this.”

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Wise Athena

Swift Artemis

Stable Hera Steadfast Gaia Guide me,

A new colt in your fold. Faithful, yet fearful

For the lives of Gabrielle, My children, my friends.

So I trust you now with them; they are my life, my heart, my own, my home.

Send them my love, as I ride.

Xena the Conqueror.

@@@@@@@@@@@@

(To be continued!!!! Yes!!! Promise!!!) Gratitude to all who have kept me going… as always, I am onesockbard@aol.com.... Thanks...

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

@@@@@


Six Moons part VII

I am Robin of the Warrior and the Bard

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

“Mama G, I need to fetch Hades,” attempt number one. Might even work, her head was locked with Aurora in deep conversation.

“All right, I'll just go….” Made it down two stairs before a touch on my collar arrested me.

I turned to face her. Zephyr sat by me in a sign of solidarity. As if that had ever worked.

Gentle hands fell on my shoulders. “WHY?”

I kicked the stone stair, looking down. “Mama G, all those guys are on foot. Hades ‘size alone would give advantage.”

Emerald eyes filled, “Birdie….”

“Mama,” my eyes were wet too, Minotaur shite it all.

“Birdie.”

“Mama, she left me in charge. I can protect everyone better if I am astride Hades. He is so big and dark, his thundering approach should give those Romans pause."

The tears filtered down her face, my mother's gentle poet's countenance. My heart wept, but it had to be my way.

She pulled me close, my face was at her waist, and I wrapped my arms around her, producing memories of a much smaller Birdie.

“Promise me you will be so very careful,” she spoke into my hair, “I do not like it at all, but you are right; oh by the gods, help me.” I felt her tears in my hair.

“Birrrdddiieee…. Careful….. “Singer echoed from her place in the belly.

I straightened up throwing my shoulders back, “I promise, Mama. No ‘bonehead' tricks.” She let go, pushed me back and gave me the eyes of the queen.

“I grant your request, Robin of Amphipolis.”

I kissed her hand, “Thank you, My Lady.”

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

“Vix we are only a half-day's ride now, can you hold up?”

“I can hold up well as you Little Missy, “the elder Amazon grumbled.

Rach tossed a smile over her shoulder, “You will love Cyrene 's Inn , Vix. She has the softest cleanest beds and the most wonderful food.”

“How about a bath?”

“There are hot springs all over the area. The Amazons have one, there are two with the inn, male and female, and of course, Birdie's family has its own.” Rach sighed, “They are naturally filtered, warmed, and always the perfect temperature.”

“I'll be spending my first ‘alf day soaking in the hottest, “Vix was tired, “me old arse is aching.”

“Be strong my friend, and be QUICK!”

An apple came hurling right at the salt and pepper head.

“HEY!” Vix caught it, “Ya little brat; yer lucky I can't get my hands on you.” “Just trying to encourage, “the musical voice floated back on a breeze.

“By the gods,” Vix cast a look at Rain, “That is a girl in love if ever I saw one.”

She thought the silver fox might have winked, but she was seeing all sorts of stuff.

@@@@@@@@@@@@

"Ya know," the slightly pudgy Amazon complained, "I love the big gal, but she is dog gone difficult at times...”

Ephiny shot a sideways smile, "She's difficult, or you just can't keep up with her?" "Hey," the glance shot back, "I can still take you, girl."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah."

"Bring it on Babe."

"Not now," Pony directed her eyes forward, "We have a warrior to catch."

@@@@@@@@


It felt as if someone had poured sand in my mouth.

"Little Bird," you have a water skin," my ever present Zephyr. Someday I must try to capture in words how wonderful it is to have a black fox in my head.

"Thanks,” I sent the mental answer.

"Don't you have some honey drops as well?”

"AH, big thank you, Zephyr,” they were in my pocket, all stuck together with some lint, but I separated them.

"Ummm, want one?"

"No thank you,” Zephyr replied, "I try to avoid eating anything which has resided in your pockets."

"Zephyr!!"

"My intent was to make your breathe. You were holding your breath." "Guess I was... thanks." I raised up in the saddle. "Won't be long...

“No, My dear,” the fox thought to herself…. “Not long now.”

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

A tall silhouette stood beside a golden horse who drank from a stream.

“Easy Girl, slowly, now, easy,” the ivory mane was gently put to order and the tired horse felt a dampened sponge cooling her body.

The Conqueror unslung her own water skin, drank and refilled it.

“Only about three more candle marks, Argo,” she murmured as she held a juicy apple flat on her hand. The soft lips munched gratefully. “Think we can do it?”

The big head bobbed up and down.

“You sure?”

The brown eyed stare left no doubt.


@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

“Thank the gods! “

Aurora overheard the bard and thought it quite an odd time to be thankful.

Gabrielle laughed, at her friend's quizzical expression, “Xena is coming.”

“Thank the gods, “ Aurora echoed and then added, “Gabrielle, how do you know Xena is coming?”

The green eyes sparkled, “Oh we have our connections. And we have skills.”

Aurora turned away accepting the answer as one of many puzzling responses regarding her friends.

“Well, I am glad, too, “she remarked, “But isn't she impossibly far away? I mean, the Romans are almost upon us, Gabrielle.”

“Doesn't matter, “the bard said quietly, “All that matters is that she is coming.”

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

So far so good; I dared a moment of optimism. The “hairy fireballs “reinforced by flaming Amazon arrows, were a strong deterrent; more than one Roman skulked in the shadows nursing severe burns or punctures. Burns are painful, but I banished the thought as unfit for a warrior. We were doing well and we MUST prevail. Hades reared and I bashed the Baby Tide against a Roman helmet. He went down. Perhaps he was only unconscious, but that was ok; ringing his bell was enough for the moment, and I had wisdom of fighting sufficient to know that moments counted.

“Little Bird, “I turned, but Zephyr's voice came from her place of hiding nearby, “have you discovered ‘Rufus'? I have not seen him and yet I would know him. His father's appearance is unfortunately forever imprinted on my mind.”

“Minotaur Shite!” I yelled it aloud. “Zephyr, you are right” I whirled Hades on a coin, “Head back for the fortress.”

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

They were holding the wall, but only just. Gabrielle slung sweat from her eyes and slammed her bladed staff into another Roman's gut. She sent mental pleas to Birdie and Xena. She did not want to involve Cyrene or Gaius, but she knew her mother watched and would not tolerate witnessing much punishment of her girls. Atticus was fighting better than most in the militia, but he was bleeding heavily from a gash in his leg. The queen knew such injuries could be fatal, and that Atticus would willingly die to protect Amphipolis.

Aurora was doing herself (and her teacher) proud with her staff. More than a half dozen had fallen to her wood. But they were hopelessly outnumbered.

Then, from her belly, “Mama…. Danger…”

“Where, Baby?” Gabrielle addressed the gift within.

“Bad man. Close.”

Ah yes, the bard thought, even though her exposure to Titus of Rome had been brief, the son was easily spotted by his swaggering hubris. Bad man. She quickly dispatched the soldier she had been staffing and drew her Sais from a small cross body bag. Bending over to retrieve them from boots had not been an option.

“Gabrielle, NO!” Aurora shouted to her friend, just as Rufus lassoed her from behind with a leather garrote. “No! The baby!! NO!” Rufus cut her speech and began to drag her backward.

“Did you REALLY think I wouldn't find you, My Dear?” his voice and touch caused her to shudder with hatred of the vile snake of a man.

“Please, I beg of all who are listening on Olympus , let this man have his way if it spares Gaius, please… “ She closed her eyes and tears ran down her cheeks.

Abruptly, she could breathe.

“I would know you anywhere,” I launched myself from Hades at the enemy, “By the gods I wish I didn't, but here you are…” WHAM! The statement was punctuated by the closure of a somersaulting double booted kick ramming squarely into the Roman's head. It would have been fully disabling, possibly even fatal, had the Roman helmet not taken some of the momentum.

I landed on my feet, Hades would circle and know if I needed him.

“Rufus, Son of Titus, equal sized turds of Minotaur, LET HER GO!”

Rufus laughed so hard, he completely let go Aurora , “What is this?” He bellowed,

“Am I challenged by a ‘mini conqueror'?”

“Oh, now that was completely unnecessary ,” I chuckled at my Zephyr's thoughts, “Shall I use ‘god fox' on him?”

“If I fall, “my answer, “I really would like to have a go at him.”

“Be careful, Little Bird. And please do not ask me to wait until you fall.”

“Birdie!”

Gods on Olympus , how was I to achieve warrior attitude with my mother calling me?

“ Aurora , “I shouted, my eyes not leaving the circling Rufus, “Please see to my mother.”

“Oh, now, Mommy's calling, wittle conqueror, “could this Rufus be more repugnant than his father? “Mommy will ‘pank wittle conqueror.”

“You… need… to… shut… your… mouth, “as the words left my mouth, the darkness entered and my vision turned blood tinged black.

He backed off, laughing, “Oh, are you going to stomp my head again?”

That did it, I ran and flung a forward flip, snatching his helmet at the top of my glide.


“Yes,” I landed and tossed the helmet aside. The Roman's hand went to his crown and he looked a bit surprised.

“All right then, little one, “he came at me full force, broadsword fully back of his head planning a blow which would cleave in half one not well trained. I gave him my best frightened rabbit eyes, and then stepped aside twisting to take a neat slice from his rear thigh. Roman armor was good but it was heavy.

He howled, “Aghhh, by the God Mars, you will pay for that little one.” He turned rapidly and slashed hard; I hurdled over the great blade but could not plant my landing.

Rufus meant to impale me like a fish on a spear, I rolled to one side and then the other. The third roll left a lock of my hair on the ground where his sword bit too well.

“You are good, “I tried to distract him. (Where were my stupid feet, get up Bird.)

As I attained mid-rise, he swerved back again and the flat of his sword thwacked my head; I sank to my knees, struggling to remain conscious.

Remarkably the heavy sword recovered to bash my god fox in midair. She tumbled with a whimper, a sound I could not abide. On your feet warrior.

I was vertical again, but blood dribbled into my eyes; there were multiple Romans coming at me, and I could not tell which was real.

Except for that gods be damned laugh. Gotcha.

“Birdie!” My mother again. I chanced a quick glance to see her restrained by Aurora and Grandba. Gaius was with them.

“Mama G! Stay back! I can handle him!” The confidence did not ring true in the malaise of my brain buzzing.

Rufus stepped back, “Just give me what I came for and it's over.”

“Birdie, it's okay!! Birdie, please don't die.” The voice of my young friend Gaius ripped my heart. This Rufus would not have him, not while Robin of Amphipolis drew breath.

“C'mon you bastard!” the dark madness was fully established now, nothing else mattered.

Our swords crashed; I thrust back the substantial blade with all my muscle, but Rufus outweighed me by at least six stone and my arms began to quiver.

Some warrior…I am sorry Baba Xe.

Falling to one knee. Artemis, please… I need you.

“Little Bird, be ready!”

Zephyr?

Enter my fox leaping high, even on three legs… Her jaws clamped down decisively on the iron sword arm of Rufus.

“You Bitch of a beast!” he shrieked, for the teeth were god fox teeth, completely unimpaired.

Whoa, that had to hurt; time now Birdo…By the gods, it was time. Now or never, now or die.

As I found my feet, suddenly Baba Xe's voice spoke to me.

“The moment you pick up a sword, you become a target. “

Been there, done that, long ago, Baba.

“The moment you kill, it changes everything.” I recalled how devastating it had been to kill Hope in the spirit realm.

“No choice,” my answer.

“There's always a choice,” Minotaur Shite, Mama G; how many others would invade my thoughts? There's no time for this.

 

“There is always a choice, Birdie. But what is a warrior, if she does not fight for the greater good ?”

Rach? My queen, the voice of my heart. Across the miles.

But I had never sought to deliberately kill another human being.

“Little Bird,” my fox advised, “I cannot hold him for much longer.”

I stood over the son of my most despised enemy, and this man was as despicable as his father had been. I raised the Baby Tide. “Artemis, help me,” I whispered.

“Robin of the Warrior and the Bard, I see this kill as just. The man will only cause more heartache and worse if he is spared. He has no honor; he would kill you, a girl very much smaller and weaker, without a moment's thought. I am proud that you are introspective,” The goddess was in my head, but I had invited her, “Swing your blade with all your strength to the right side of his neck. If you do not completely behead him, he will bleed out quickly and not suffer remotely as much as he has caused others to suffer.”

“I thank you My Lady,” I whispered and to do as she counselled allowed the darkness to enter all-out.

The head of Rufus, son of Titus, sons of Rome , spun away from his body with surprising vigor. Blood spattered my boots and pants.

I turned aside, but upon witnessing the Baby Tide soaked in crimson gore, my knees gave way and my body condemned me with repeated dry heaves. Dry heaves and choking tears.

“Little Bird, Little Mistress, “my fox tugged my sleeve, “I see your pain, child, but you must rise!”

There was an urgency in her thoughts which I attended. I wipe my mouth and stood, straightened, dripping Baby Tide at my side.

A dozen Romans were running toward me. “Avenge Rufus!!” the shouts came, “Avenge the House of Titus!”

My hand fell to my fox's soft head, “Well, so much for my life as a warrior, “I whispered to her.

“Whatever happens, Little Mistress, I shall never leave your side.”

They were looming; I pivoted the Baby Tide into a ready position. “I love you, Zephyr.”

“And I you, Little Bird.”

“Yiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyi!”

Baba Xe's battle cry? Was it wishful thinking?

The answer came as a shield size chakram hummed through the air, and cut down at least nine of the twelve.

“Aye yi iiiYA!” My warrior parent landed a double flip to stand right beside me.

“Hi, Little Bird,” she said calmly, completely focused on the approach.

“Good to see you, Baba,” I returned.

Standing beside my very own heroic warrior gave me new resilience. We were fighters doing our jobs, and we quickly dispatched the three remaining attackers. When my dark vision cleared, there was nothing left but blood, armor, and ripped flesh.

Baba walked among them, offering them retreat, if they could manage it, a new home with Amphipolis, or death. Four chose retreat, four chose to remain with us, and four, she had to finish quickly.

And yet was expeditious enough to return; she caught me as I wilted from both the sight and from exhaustion.

“You have impeccable timing,” I managed.

“Thank the gods for that, “she said calmly, and her arms pulled me into her body closely. The tears came again.

“I am proud of you, Birdie,” it was good to hear her low steady voice, “You did what I counted on you to do.”

I sniffed, “It doesn't feel very noble, Baba.”

Her hands came into my hair, stroking it gently, “Sweetheart, it never does. If it felt good, you would not be human. And you certainly wouldn't be my Birdie girl.”

She pushed me back and kissed my hair, “We will talk of this later on,” she stooped down to meet my eyes. “Right now, we have more issues pending.

What else could happen?

“XENA!”

Baba Xe dashed to the voice of my mother.

“Gabrielle, I am coming!”

I still had strength enough to almost match her long strides. As we neared, I saw Mama G in the ground, her face dripping sweat.

“Baby,” Baba's singular word.

This was going to be a very big day.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

A Warrior at last.

My poet mother would have me

Cast many different words

As a poet, trained.

So I have strained, but

There are few other words,

Fighter, Combatant, Soldier

Proficient in the art of war.

Someone of great courage

Skilled.

But there are few songs

Written about the word

Kill.

(to be continued and completed next time!!)

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Feels as if it has taken six years to write Six Moons. But the Bird flies within again, and I am grateful to her loyal readers for all the support. It means so much… onesockbard@aol.com

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page