Among the Stars

by Psyche_B


This story has been tumbling around in my head for almost a year.  With not a whole lot to keep my mind occupied during the day except for day time television.  Some of which has been shown to decrease I.Q by five points every time you watch.  I do not own the characters although I certainly wish I did.  Set in the future the story revolves around the personal and professional lives of the officers of the Star Traveler Andromeda as it travels past the known planets. 

Prologue

1 January 2176
Four hundred years have passed since the Founding Fathers signed the Declaration of Independence. Throughout those four hundred years many wars were fought to preserve liberty. Throughout the history of the world tyrants and dictators tried to conquer the world. Millions of lives were sacrificed during that time. Yet, the lives lost in all those earlier wars combined would not equal the lives lost during the last war. In 2070, the war began and lasted twenty years. The cost in lives would never be fully known but was counted in the hundreds of millions.

Nuclear bombs fell all over the Earth destroying everything. The oil fields in what was the Middle East could never be put out due to the radiation levels. Several states were also turned into Nuclear waste lands. All oil production was stopped and the citizens scrambled for alternative energy and transportation.

When peace was finally declared in 2090, the world became united. There were no longer individual countries. No separate governments. We were one world, a united World. All individual governments were disbanded. There was one general government. The Central Committee consisted of five members from all former countries who made the laws. Everyone was equal. No rich or poor. White, black, Indian, Oriental, Gay or Straight, no one person was better than the next.

With half of the Earth uninhabitable, Scientists looked to the stars. In the mid 1950's man looked to the stars and a way to travel in space. Each year saw newer ways to travel to the stars for longer and longer distances. People could live for years in space due to advancements in space travel. By 2160 man could travel to the ends of the Galaxy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1, March 2176
Personal Journal of Colonel. K C O'Malley UWMC (United World Marine Corps)

My orders came through today. In four months, I will be on the first of seven Star Traveller ships. We will be the first ship to travel outside our past our known planets. I have been chosen to head up the contingent of one hundred Marines. With that came the promotion to full Colonel. Very nice surprise. I knew I was short listed for this mission. I wonder if my being chosen has anything to do with who the Captain of the ship will be. This mission is scheduled to last three to four years.

This will be an interesting voyage as the Captain of the ship will be my sister Kate Jensen. We have had a some what contentious relationship, and have often butted heads. She is my older sister and from the time I was a child, my hero.

Our ship is called Andromeda. This will be a small city in space. According to the specs I received, it's as tall as a twenty story building, as long as fifteen city blocks. Her crew will consist of four hundred seventy. Another one hundred thirty scientists, doctors, engineers, teachers and their families bring the total number of travelers to nine hundred eighty two. The has has a small hospital, a medical staff of 20 doctors and nurses. A hydroponics bay, a school area with a staff of 12,a forested area with simulated sunlight, a retail deck and a protected area called Safe Haven where the civilians on board can go if we are attacked.
There are also four restaurants and two bars where people can relax. Virtual reality rooms, a gym and a library for the residents to get away from it all in the confines of the ship . Every thing a person will need during our journey.

While this is mainly an science ship with the main goal of exploration, we will not be unprotected. Her armaments include particle cannons and torpedoes. Every adult member has been issued and trained to use a side arm or rifle which will emit an electrical charge that will stun but not kill. There are bigger guns on board that will kill if necessary, but I hope these will never have to be brought out. We are explorers, and not looking for a fight, but we will be able to protect ourselves if necessary.

Each family will have their own quarters. Single personnel will share barracks. Officers above the rank of sargent will have their own quarters. According to the floor plan, my quarters will be right next to Kate and her family on the fourth deck. We have a briefing in the morning and then a tour of the ship in the afternoon. I hope the rooms are soundproofed.

One question in my mind is now that I have been promoted, my rank is equal to Kates. Who will be the ranking officer.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Captain's log of Captain Kate Jensen

1 March 2176 1800 hours.

This will be the first in a long series of logs that I will have to keep. I received my orders today. For the next three or four years my home will be on the Star Traveler Andromeda. My wife Anya received her orders also. She will be the Chief Science Officer with a rank of Lt Commander. Our children are very happy that we will all be together. My First Officer has not been decided yet. I will however be able to hand pick the rest of the crew. The only stipulation is that I choose at least 20 of the recent graduates of the space academy. The next few months will be very busy.

The ship will have a squadron of 65 small Stinger fighters and a crew of 100 Marines. I heard a rumor today the Kacey has been put in charge of the Marines. Makes sense as this mission will be a long one. The powers that be will want to keep families together. Where does that leave Mom and Liam?

I have several questions to ask tomorrow during the briefing and tour, there are two that are first and foremost in my mind. Who will be my First Officer? And if Kacey is the new Marine Commander, which one of us will actually be in charge?

I hope these questions will be answered tomorrow at the briefing.

To be continued...

Return to the Academy

 

Author's Page