Among the Stars

by Psyche_B

Go to Prologue


This story has been tumbling around in my head for almost a year.  With not a whole lot to keep my mind occupied during the day except for day time television.  Some of which has been shown to decrease I.Q by five points every time you watch.  I do not own the characters although I certainly wish I did.  Set in the future the story revolves around the personal and professional lives of the officers of the Star Traveler Andromeda as it travels past the known planets. 

CHAPTER 12B

Wilcox sat next to his client. "She is a lesbian. You forced your attentions on a lesbian. Are you crazy?"

"Hell sometimes even that sort of person wants what only a real man can give them. Besides how was I supposed to know she was one of them. It's not like it is tattooed on their foreheads." The Sergeant protested. "Maybe they should have it tattooed on them so normal people can get far away from them."

"You do realize that those statement you just made are against the anti discrimination laws."

"Asshole we are not on earth."

"Does not matter. This ship is from Earth and the laws still apply here. I think we should change your plea."

"Fuck no I am not changing my plea. All they have so far is that bitch's testimony."

"They have other witnesses."

"Probably all fucking dykes like her. No change. Besides I have connections on Earth."

"Are there any things in your past that can come back at you?"

"A few minor things on Earth. But that file is locked. No one can get into it."

"Why did you ever apply to this ship?"

"Had no damn choice. I was ordered to." The Sergeant stated.

"You are absolutely certain no one can open that file?"

"Don't get your shorts in a twist. So much brass is sitting on that file, no one can get at it." He laughed. "The Captain is in for one hell of a surprise. Wait until my connections come through. She will be busted back to Ensign."

=======================================================================


Inside the break room set aside for the persons involved with the trial, Kate and the judges stood off by themselves. Kacey, Patricia and Natalia stood together and drank their coffee.

"Natalia, why did you stop the Private earlier?" Patricia asked.

"I wanted her to tell Wilcox not me. It worked. He was blind sided. Stopped him cold. Did you see the look on his face?" Natalia laughed.

"He did look like he was hit with a dead smelly fish." Kacey stated laughing. "It worked great. Nice move."

"Do you think he will change his plea?" Patricia asked.

"I do not think so. He is arrogant enough to think he can beat this. I fully expect him to bring up his connections. He doesn't know that we have seen his file. As far as I know Castor is the only witness Wilcox will call. I just need him to ask one question, then I can bring up the file."

"What if he doesn't ask that one question? Can you bring up the file?"

"No. Unless I call him as a witness against himself I am bound by the rules. Unfortunately, I can not ask him to testify against himself."

"Time everyone." Kate called out. "Lets go see if Castor wants to change his plea and put an end to this. Hopefully we can end this now."

Everyone walked out of the break room and into the court room. They resumed their places.

"Mr. Wilcox are you ready to continue? Is your client ready to change his plea?" Kate asked.

Wilcox stood up and looked at his client who shook his head no. "Against advice my client does not wish to change his plea. We are ready to continue."

"Very well. Crewman call your next witness."

"Yes Captain. I call Patricia O'Malley."

Witness after witness called to the stand said the same thing. The Private did not invite the advances from the Sergeant and fought him off. Each time Natalia finished questioning her witnesses, she turned the questioning over to Wilcox who simply said, "No questions"

"I call Colonel Kirsten O'Malley."

Kacey walked to the stand, took the oath and sat down. Natalia walked over to the witness stand. "Colonel we will play video recordings of the events of the day in question. Would you explain what is happening?

"Certainly."

"Start hanger video from cameras six and eight." Natalia stated. The video screen lit up. Kacey described what was taking place in the video. The angle shifted. "This is from camera eight. You can clearly see the Sergeant coming over to Private Hastings. Both videos show Castor reaching out to touch the Private and her backing away from his touch. Each showed the Private did nothing to encourage him. She did not call him over. He took it upon himself to bother her."

"Computer please show the videos from cameras fifteen and sixteen." Natalia said. The video changed. "Colonel please describe what we are seeing."

"The video is showing the Private returning from her break when the Sergeant grabbed her, forced her into the corner behind the stingers and equipment cases. He forced himself on her. You can see him pin her hands above her head. Camera 16. This angel shows the Sergeant try to kiss her and Private hasting pushing him away. We also see him slap her and pin her hands over her head while he again tried to kiss her. Here he is unzipping her coveralls." Kacey finished with, "It was at this time I had the crew called to attention."

"During your questioning of the Sergeant, he stated the Private was his girlfriend. Is that correct?"

"Yes he stated that twice."

"What did you do after that?"

"After listening to his lies, I confined him to his quarters. I recorded the Private's statement Then brought everything to Captain Jensen."

"Colonel, does Private Hastings have any medical conditions?"

"Shouldn't you ask Private Hastings that question?"

"As her commanding officer you would know because it would be in her personal file."

"She has a condition called hypoglycemia."

"Explain please."

"It is better known as low blood sugar. If a person with this condition were to skip a meal the blood sugar levels would drop drastically. Persons with low blood sugar cannot skip a meal ever."

"Say a person with hypoglycemia were to skip a meal or two what would happen?"

"They would get very shaky, but also dizzy. If they still do not eat, they could fall into a coma, and even death could happen."

"How do you know this Colonel."

"As soon as I found out about the Private's condition I talked to Doctor Kipling. He told me what to look out for and how to help anyone with this particular condition."

"Thank you Colonel. That will be all. Your witness Mr. Wilcox."

"No questions at this time." Wilcox stated.

"The prosecution rests Captain." Natalia stated and sat down behind her table.

"Mr. Wilcox are your ready to present your case?" Kate asked.

"Yes Captain." Wilcox stated.

"We will break for lunch. When we return at thirteen hundred hours you will present your case. We are adjourned until thirteen hundred hours." Kate stated and stood up.

 

To be continued...

Return to the Academy

 

Author's Page