Among the Stars

by Psyche_B

Go to Prologue


This story has been tumbling around in my head for almost a year.  With not a whole lot to keep my mind occupied during the day except for day time television.  Some of which has been shown to decrease I.Q by five points every time you watch.  I do not own the characters although I certainly wish I did.  Set in the future the story revolves around the personal and professional lives of the officers of the Star Traveler Andromeda as it travels past the known planets. 

CHAPTER 15B

Kate waited for Kacey, as the Doctor gave her a thorough check up. After an hour they could find nothing wrong and released her, with the orders to take it easy for the rest of the day. The Doctor pulled Kate aside and told her that Kacey should not be left alone at least for the remainder of the day, while she dealt with the aftermath of the day. Kate logged off duty to be with Kacey. She could have delegated the job to anyone, but felt she needed to be with her sister.

Kacey was silent as Kate walked her back to her quarters. The silence worried Kate. She knew that nothing she could say or do would help Kacey past the memory of taking a life. The haunted look in Kacey's eyes, the defeated slump of her shoulders, and the silence told Kate everything. Her heart broke for her sister. At the door of her quarters, Kate put her arms around Kacey She felt Kacey tremble in her arms as she struggled to keep her composure.

"How about you invite me in for a drink? I will see about getting some lunch sent in."

"I just want to be alone Kate."

"That will not happen. The Doctor said to keep you company for awhile." Kate stated.

"KATE PLEASE." Kacey yelled. "Please," she asked softly. "I just need some time to process everything."

"I can get..."

"No. I do not want to be around any one right now. Please?"

"All right, Kacey, this is against my better judgment. Go shower and try to rest."

Kacey nodded and opened her door. Kate watched the door close. She heard the music start and hope Kacey would find some solace in her music. "Computer. video lock on Colonel O'Malley" Kate could at least keep an eye on Kacey even if she did not want any one around.

Kate headed to the bridge, hoping she could hold back the tears of sorrow until she reached the sanctity of her Ready Room. She exited the lift and without a word, walked into her Ready Room. She lightly touched Anya's arm as she past. Liam watched the Ready Room door close and looked at Anya. Anya nodded, turned her console over to her assistant and followed Kate.

Kate stood at the window starring at the stars as they past. The door chimed. Without turning around she said, "come". Anya entered. She joined Kate at the window and put her arms around her wife. Kate turned in her arms, buried her face in Anya shoulder as the sobs wracked her body. Anya held her tight as she cried.

Kacey showered and threw out the blood covered clothes. She donned her favorite around her quarters clothes. She poured herself a drink and took a long drink of the amber liquid. She picked up her violin and hoped to lose herself in her music. She let the music take her away from the world and her place in it. A place where there was no others. No rapists and murderers. No cares or worries. There was just herself and her music.

====================================================

Anya let Kate cry. When her sobs tapered off, Anya led Kate to the sofa and sat down. Never breaking contact, she silently gave Kate her support.

The tears finally stopped. "Want to talk about it, Kate?" Anya asked softly.

"I can not help her, Anya. I am the Captain and her sister. I am supposed to be able to take care of everthing that comes along, but I can not do a damn thing to help Kacey.".

"I know that Castor escaped and that he injured his guard. What happened after that."

"He beat and raped Private Hastings. Kacey found him and they fought. The gun went off and Castor is dead. This was the first time she has taken a life and it is really bothering her more than she wants to admit, even to herself. The Doctor said that she should not be alone, but she does not anyone around. I left her alone. I should be there with her. I can not help her or advise her because, I have never been in that situation. How do I help her Anya? How can I fix this?"

"You can help just by being there to listen when she feels the need to talk. Or even hold her when she cries. And she will Kate, eventually. I know she is a strong person, but that physical strength will only carry her so far. There is no quick fix Kate. No fix but time. Eventually Kacey will realize that she had no choice. She defended Private Hastings from any further abuse or death. She turned his attention to herself. She bought time for help to arrive."

"I took her to task for disobeying orders and not waiting for backup. But if she had waited for back up Castor could have killed Private Hastings. I do not know whether to put her on report or giver a commendation for ridding the ship of that animal."

"Was Kacey hurt?"

"Just had the wind knocked out of her, but no other physical injuries."

"That is one good thing." Anya stated.

"But the mental injuries, the ones no one can see. You did not see her eyes once she realized Castor was dead and by her hand. It is a look I never want to see again."

"Does Natalia know?" Anya asked.

"I don't think so."

"Maybe she should be told before she gets off duty, so she is not blind sided by this."

"You're right." Kate said and touched her communicator. "Captain Jensen to crewman Esperanza."

"Yes Captain."

"When does your duty shift end?"

"In about an hour."

"Would you stop by my Ready Room before you go back to your quarters?"

"Of course Captain.

 

To be continued...

Return to the Academy

 

Author's Page