Among the Stars

by Psyche_B

Go to Prologue


CHAPTER 28C


> The door opened and the three women walked out. Kate signaled Natalia and Patricia to hold back, when they started forward. They walked in silence to the lift. "Hanger" Kate said when the doors closed.
>
> They escorted Kacey to her office. Inside Kacey picked up her glasses and put them in her breast pocket. She unlocked the desk drawer and removed the small box which she placed in her trouser pocket. She gingerly picked up a stack of papers from the desk and held them in her arms. Trying to not put any pressure on her hands, which were swollen and sore. Kate took the papers from her.
>
> "Any orders you need to give your people?"
>
> "They have their orders." Kacey responded.
>
> The three walked back to the lift. "Sick Bay" Kate said.
>
> Kacey sat on a bed while the doctor checked her hands. She jumped every time the doctor probed. She had been thoroughly checked out and x-rayed.
>
> "What does the other person look like, Colonel?" He joked. Kacey just looked at him.
>
> "The door is a bit dented but still working." Kate stated.
>
> "I see. Can you make a fist?"
>
> Kacey did so slowly. Not making a sound from the pain the movement caused, but her eyes narrowed in obvious discomfort.
>
> "I don't know how you managed it, but the x-rays show that nothing is broken. You have bruised the bones in both hands. Sometimes that hurts more than a break. I will not wrap them today because of the swelling. However you need to put ice on them for twenty minutes every two hours. Tomorrow after the swelling goes down, I will wrap them for support. Take one of these pills every six hours for pain. No alcohol while you take these. I want to see you back here tomorrow for a recheck and wrap."
>
> "Doctor for reasons I will not go into here, you will need to go to her quarters instead." Kate stated.
>
> "Very well Captain. I will be there at fourteen hundred hours. Try not to over stress your hands, Colonel. You are free to go."
>
> Kacey jumped down off the table and left Sick Bay with Kate and Rhea on either side. "Deck four" Kate stated as they entered the lift. The lift stopped and they walked to Kacey's quarters. Kacey entered the code and the door opened. Kate followed her inside. Rhea remained outside. Kate took one of the pills the Doctor gave Kacey, got a glass of water and handed both to her sister. Kate watched as she swallowed the medication.
>
> "There will be no guard on your door. You gave me your word. Get some rest, we will talk later." Kate said. Impulsively she threw her arms around Kacey and hugged her. Kacey was slow to bring her arms up to return the hug. "I love you little sister. Please believe me."
>
> "I believe you, Kate. I love you too."
>
> Kate left Kacey quarters. As soon as the door closed, Kacey spit out the pill into the glass of water. She changed out of her fatigues and into her favorite work out clothes. Kacey turned on her work out music and turned the volume up. She stepped on the treadmill, programmed a session and stepped on the moving belt. She started walking but was soon running. The machine followed the programmed course.
>
> Kate and Rhea returned to the bridge. She called the family into her Ready Room. She motioned everyone to sit on the long couch. She stood by the window.
>
> "Kate is Kacey in the Brig?" Patricia asked.
>
> "No mom. She is confined to her quarters for two weeks. There will be video surveillance on her from seven hundred hours to eighteen hundred hours every day."
>
> "Thank you, for not putting her in the Brig, Kate." Natalia said.
>
> "Thank Commander Torino. It was her recommendation."
>
> "What about the charges of striking another officer?"
>
> "Those have been dropped. Rhea told me that her guards provoked her. They were told not to touch her unless she resisted arrest. She did not resist, but two grabbed her arms any way. She defended herself from what she perceived as an attack."

>
> "What about her hands Kate?" Patricia asked.
>
> "Nothing is broken, just badly bruised. The doctor told her to ice them to get the swelling down and gave her some pain medication to take. She took one while I was there. She should be sleeping by now."
>
> "She was very subdued when you left here. I expected shouting and cursing, especially after seeing those dents in your door, Katie." Liam stated.
>
> "What was she planning on doing?" Anya asked.
>
> "Her plan was to draw the Megarans away from Andromeda, to give us a chance to get away. She was not planning on turning herself over to them, just giving us a chance to escape. I think she was more upset when she realized how close she came to going back on her word to Natalia. God was it only this morning I was bored?"
>
> "It was Kate." Anya answered.
>
> "Well we have left Megaran space and are getting back on course for Saturn. I am ready to pack it in for today."
>
> "Tis a fine idea Katie.
>
> "I agree Kate. Liam and I will bring dinner by for all of you."
>
> "Thank you Patricia. Kate, I will pick up the girls. You go back to our quarters." Anya stated. While you were gone, we got back on course for Saturn. We have not seen our friends for at least two hours. Looks like we have a clear path until the next crises."
>
> For the first time in hours everyone smiled.


To be continued...

Return to the Academy

 

Author's Page