Among the Stars

by Psyche_B

Go to Prologue

 


CHAPTER 37C


"Change of orders everyone." Kate said. "Continue towards that asteroid field. Hold at twenty thousand kilometers away from it. Tomorrow morning the Shuttles will go out for two hours with some of the Scientists to study the rocks. Anya, Rhea, you are with Kacey and I. At our present speed, when we arrive?"

"Around eight hundred hours, Captain." Lieutenant Minor stated.

"Continue to plot a course around the field. We will just change course later than planned."

"Aye Captain."

"I had better let my people know." Kacey stated.

"Let them know on the way. We have a dinner to get to." Kate said.

In the lift Kacey touched her communicator. "Colonel O'Malley to Major Anderson."

"Go Ahead Colonel."

"Mike tomorrow we will take four of the Shuttles, twelve Stingers and the drones out to study the Asteroid field."

"Will do Colonel."
-------------------------------------------------
Personal journal Colonel Kirsten C. O'Malley 22 January 2177

We came upon an asteroid belt yesterday. What one is doing way out here is a mystery. They are usually found between Mars and Jupiter. We are going to take the shuttles out for a closer look this morning. As we get closer to the Kuiper belt, what else will we find?

Kate is allowing us two hours to explore. After we explore, we will have to find a way around it. That could take a day or two extra. The asteroid field is huge. We will be going out at Oh nine thirty hours. I wish we could explore for longer than two hours, but I will take what Kate allows. This will be the first time I will be off ship since Eternus. Except for those few minutes on that rock we landed on over Christmas.

Kate was able to pinpoint what I am feeling. Restless. I am guilty as charged. I am feeling very restless. I am not a person who can just sit still. Fortunately my restlessness is only during working hours. When the day is done those restless feeling remain locked in my office.

Kate has been asking many questions about those items Natalia and I received from those two twisted minds. I did not want to tell her that we both are a little afraid to try any of them. Except for the massage oils. Maybe if we sat down and watched that whole video, we would be less apprehensive. Who knows maybe tonight.

Mom is happy right now. She has another daughter in law to pass her many recipes to. Heaven know Kate and I never showed any aptitude in the kitchen.

Natalia has an ever growing list of talents.

---------------------------------------------------------

Kacey sat in the pilot's seat doing her preflight checks as she waited for the rest of her crew. Each Shuttle that was going out will have two scientists. They would record the asteroid field and try to take samples remotely. That will be a tricky maneuver as asteroids could be unpredictable at the best of times. The drones would attempt to land on any of the larger rocks to get the samples.

"Permission to come aboard, Colonel."

"Permission granted, Kate. Just finishing up my preflight."

"Mom sent coffee again."

"Great. I like this new habit of hers. You can stow that in the storage area by your feet. We are going to land the drones on the larger rocks to get samples."

"Will the drills be strong enough?"

"I certainly hope so. Where is the rest of the crew?"

"Anya was transferring some last minute information to the Science Console. Rhea was waiting for her." Kate told her. "Wait here they come."

Anya and Rhea entered the shuttle and took their customary places, and strapped in. Kacey and Kate put their harnesses on. Kacey started her shuttle and put on her headphones. "Radio check all ships." She ordered. The ships assigned to this trip called out. "Close air lock doors." The large doors slowly closed to separate the Hanger from the launch area. "Lower atmosphere." She ordered. They could hear the hiss of air as it was removed. She taxied into position. "Line up." She ordered. The ships assigned for the mission lined up behind her. "Open launch doors." The large doors that protected them from the vacuum of space opened. "Hold onto your shorts." Kacey pushed the throttles forward and released the brake. They shot out of the Hanger. Kacey moved a short distance away to allow the other ships to launch safely. She grabbed her good luck smoke stick. Kate shook her head.

"Do not say it Kate."

"Wasn't going to say a thing." Kacey looked sideways at her,

"Uh huh." Kacey said. "All ships fall in behind us. We will go to ten kilometers and release the drones."

"Ten kilometers? Isn't that a little close?"

"Just until the drones are launched, Kate. Worried?"

"No, but why so close?"

"In order to control the drones we have to be close. We will have time to get out of the way in the event one of those things want to play tag."

"Kate, these asteroids are not behaving the way asteroids normally behave." Anya stated.

Kate looked at the asteroids. "You are right. There should be some sort of movement from them. Asteroids usually bang against each other. These are perfectly still."

"Could it be because these are so far out of their normal range?" Kacey asked?

"It is possible. Check for life signs."

Anya looked at her consoles. "There are massive amounts of life signs, Kate."

"Can you pinpoint where the life signs are located?" Kate asked.

"The larger rocks have the largest quantity, although the smaller ones have quite a few."

"What is the composition of the masses?"

"Just what we would expect asteroids to contain. Iron, Carbon and Rhodium."

"Nothing out of the ordinary there." Kate said. "Any weapons or propulsion signatures?"

"The drones are approaching the asteroid and will land in about three minutes." Kacey stated.

They watched the asteroid that the drone approached move out of the way so the drone flew past. The second drone approached another mass which behaved the same. The third drone caused the same reaction.

"Okay, once could be a normal movement of the mass. Two could be a coincidence, but all three, those are not asteroids. Did we get a recording of that?"

"We did Kate." Anya stated.

"I want to try something. All ships, hold your positions." She ordered. She pushed the throttles forward slightly. The shuttle moved forward slowly.

"What the hell are you doing, Kacey." Kate demanded.

"I am just seeing how close I can get before it moves away."

"This is not the time to play chicken with a mass one hundred times our size. Stop right now." Kate ordered. " Now Colonel." Kacey looked at Kate and backed off the throttles. "Recall the drones. This little visit is over." Kacey hesitated. "Colonel?"

"Yes Captain." Kacey keyed the mike. "Recall the drones and head back to Andromeda"

"Recalling Drones, Colonel."

Kacey turned her shuttle and headed back to Andromeda. She held position and waited for all the other ships to land before she entered the Hanger.

"Close Launch Doors." She ordered before she parked her shuttle. She did not shut it down until the doors closed and atmosphere was restored. Once the green lights came on, she shut the shuttle down. "Open air lock doors." She said, as she opened the ramp.

Anya and Rhea left the shuttle. Kate started for the ramp, but stopped. She watch Kacey rip off the headphone and throw them on the console. Kate closed the ramp. Kacey turned at the sound.

"Thought you left."

"No I was able to witness your little temper tantrum with the headphones. Thought those were delicate pieces of equipment? Would you like to tell me what was going through your mind when you decided to approach those masses?"

"Isn't it part of our mission to make contact with other civilizations?"

"It is, but by moving away from the Drones proved to me they were not interested in any sort of contact. We are not out here to go to war or force our attentions on people who want nothing to do with us. It was evident by their behavior that they were not interested."

"Then chalk it up to my bad decision for the day." Kacey said

"Are you sure you are all right?" Kate asked.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------

 

To be continued...

Return to the Academy

 

Author's Page