Beyond the Farthest Planet

by Psyche-b

Chapter 5B

Go to Part 1


Disclaimers: As always the characters belong to my warped little mind. Unfortunately not the people they are patterned after. If this sort of this offends you please hit the delete button now. If you are under 18 please come back when you are older.

Kacey stopped running. "Kate listen to me. You need to get back to the shuttle. The code to open the ramp is one two one two zero six. We will stun the wolves and be right behind you."

"That request is denied Colonel."

"Kate, GO. Anya, you and Rhea make sure she gets back to the shuttle. Get her out of here." Kacey ordered. "Go please" Kate finally nodded.

"With Anya on one side and Rhea on the other, Kate left Kacey and her Marines to face the wolves that stalked them. She took a second for a backwards glance as the Marines took position to fire on the wolves. She saw them fire until the entire pack was stunned and down.

The Marines ran and quickly caught up to the three women ,who slowed their run to wait for the others. Rifles drawn they covered the Marines backs until the six were side by side. They fired at the wolves who were once again attacking them, until all lay on the ground. They took advantage of the respite to gain the safety of the shuttle. Kate keyed in the code to open the ramp. Kacey grabbed the radio from her belt.

"All squads report in."

"Squad two almost back to base. We have you in sight Colonel."

"Squad three about half a kilometer out. We had problems with a large flock of birds that attacked with out provocation.. We have injuries. None life threatening."

They waited to hear from the last squad.

"Squad four check in." Kacey ordered. They could now hear the phasic rifles as they fired, as well as the roars of the large cats. Kacey looked at Kate.

"Get in the shuttle and close the ramp, Kate." Kacey ordered.

"Do not do what you are thinking, Kacey."

"I have to Kate. It is the code. No one left behind. You two follow me." She ordered and took off at a run.

"DAMN IT KACEY. COME BACK HERE." Kate yelled as Kacey ran off. "Remind me to put her on report when we get back to Andromeda."

Kacey and the Marines ran towards the sound of rifle fire. The roars of the big cats were less than before. They found the squad under attack and surrounded by the big cats. Two Marines lay on the ground, with blood pooling around them.

"Phasic charges on high." Kacey ordered. "If that does not work, used your side arms and kill them." They stopped running and took aim. The big cats dropped. After several minutes, all the cats were down. They rushed forward to tend to their wounded comrades. "Get those wounds bandaged so that we can move them to my shuttle, before those cats wake up again." Kacey ordered. "We will have to carry them, they can not walk in their condition. If those cats wake up hit them again. Keep your rifles at full charge. Those with regular rifles and guns use them. Hurry up with those bandages. Pull their ground cloths out of their packs. We will have to make stretchers for them."

--------------------------------------------------------------

"Shamrock to Andromeda"

"Aye Katie."

"Dad can you see Kacey?"

"Aye, lass. She is all right. She is with her lads. There are injuries that they are tending. They will need to carry them back. Do ye want me to be sending reinforcements?"

"Put them on stand by for now."

"Aye lass."

The two squads of Marines arrived and set up a perimeter around the shuttle. Kate opened the ramp to get the wounded men taken care of. The injuries, while not life threatening, meant the pilots would be unable to fly. She counted the injured before she took one of the radios.

"Andromeda, we need another shuttle down here with at least eight Stinger pilots and a Doctor."

"Aye Katie. Help is on the way. Put out your distress beacon so that they can find you."

Kate flipped a switch. "Beacon up and running. What is Kacey doing? Does she need back up?"

"They are on the move towards you, but the cats are right on their heels.

"Six of you go help the Colonel and squad four. The rest keep watch for the wolves." Kate passed out regular rifles to the Marines that remained. They could hear the snarls and growls as the animals caught the scent of blood and closed in on their location. The Marines fired at the pack driving them back away from the shuttle. The creatures circled the shuttle searching for an opening or weaken area to attack. The remaining Marines with the Bridge crew fired at the animals.

"Kate what is your situation?" Kacey's voice came over the radio.

"We are surrounded by the wolves. Where are you?"

"About half a kilometer from you. If you have not already done so, break out the regular rifles and kill the beasts. The phasic charges are not even touching the cats now. They only thing that will stop them now is bullets.

Kacey could hear the sound of gunfire. The shock of the sound, triggered flashes of memories to flood her mind. She stopped in her tracks. Only the force of a body hitting hers brought her from her shock. She continued running towards her shuttle.

To be continued...

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page