So Far From Home

by Psyche_B

Year three in the Voyage of Andromeda.  The adventure that started in  Among the Stars, and Beyond the Farthest Planet continues in Far From Home.

Go To Part 1


                          CHAPTER 19 A

  "Are we about to be attacked?"  Kate asked as they stepped off the lift.

  "Worse Kate."  Liam stated.  "An ion storm has developed off the bow.  Tis two million kilometers away and moving quickly toward us."

  "On screen."  Kate ordered.  The storm system appeared on the view screen.

  "It is massive."  Kacey stated.  "How long until it hits?  Can we go around it?"

  "Twenty minutes.  Due it's size and how quickly it is moving,it would be upon us before we even got a tenth of the way around us."  Anya reported.

  "Attention all ships.  Land immediately.  Secure all vessels in the Hanger we are about to be hit by an ion storm.  I repeat all ships land immediately."  Kacey ordered.

  "Go to red alert.  Open ship wide channel."  Kate ordered a chime sounded as the red lights flashed throughout the ship.  "Attention all residents.  This is Captain Jensen.  We are about to be hit by an ion storm.  All civilians prepare to ride out the storm in your quarters or in Safe Haven.  Evacuation at this time is not mandatory."  Kate nodded and another chime sounded.  "Stop all engines and drop anchors.  We will ride out this storm."

  "Aye Captain."   The Bridge crew watched the storm come closer and closer.  The swirling eddies and bolts of lightening were visible.  Kate gabbed the arms of her chair.  Kacey and Liam exchanged concerned looks.
   "Hanger to Colonel O'Malley."

  "Go ahead Hanger."

  "The last of the Stingers have landed and the Hanger is secured."

  "Raise shields over the Hanger."  Kate ordered.  "How long before we start feeling the currents from the storm?"

  "Within seconds."

  They continued to see the lightning strikes inside the storm front and felt the first blast of currents which rocked the ship.

  "How long can we expect to be in this maelstrom?"  Kacey asked.

  "The storm is massive, at least ninety six hours."  Anya stated.

  "Four days?" 

  "At the very least.  Longer if it stalls."

  "You are not making evacuations to Safe Haven mandatory?"

  "Not at this time but that could change quickly."  Kate answered.  "I will allow them to come and go as they want for now."

  The ship was caught in the storm.  Winds buffeted the ship as lightening bounced off the shields."

  "I hope no one is prone to sea sickness."  Kate stated.  "If you have been so affected in the past report to Sick Bay immediately for anti nausea medicine."

  "Katie how do you want to schedule the crew shifts?"

  "No one will be on duty constantly.  You work your regular shifts then turn your stations over to your replacements.  Then try to get some rest if that will even be possible."

  The winds continued to slam against Andromeda.  The crew held onto their stations to remain standing or in their seats.  Lightening continued to bounce off the shields.

  "Seems to me that a storm is a good way to put disagreements into perspective."  Liam stated and looked at both his daughters.  They both blushed.

  "It would be very boring if we agreed on everything dad."  Kacey joked.

  "If the winds are this strong on the outside edge what are they like inside."  Rich asked.

  "That last gust was one hundred fifty KPH."  Anya stated

  "That is considered a Cat five hurricane on Earth."  Rhea stated.  "Stabilizers and anchors are holding."

  Flashes made the crew wince at the brightness as the wind continued to push the ship.  Kate had a white knuckled grip on the arms of her chair.  Large bangs could be heard as large chunks of debris slammed against the shields.

  "Are we recording this storm?"  Kate asked.

  "Yes ma'am."  The communications officer replied.  "Do you think we should name this storm?"

  "Sure why not.  Do you have a suggestion Ensign?"

  "Why not have a contest?"  Rich offered.

  "And who would be judging this contest lad?"  Liam asked.

  "How about you sir, the Captain and  the Colonel?"

  Kate and Kacey both nodded.  "All right lad.  What are the rules?"

  "Each crew member who want to enter is allowed to submit one name only.  The winner get two extra duty shifts off." Rich stated.

  "All entries have to be submitted within twenty four hours of their shifts ending.  That way everyone gets the same amount of time."  Natalia added.

  "That sounds fair.  All entries have to be signed so that we know who wins."  Kate stated.  "You in Kacey?"

  "Certainly.  Oh one thing if anyone puts down my name that person will be scrubbing every exhaust port and cleaning every flyer."

  "The Bridge crew laughed at her comment.

  "Open channel to all crew."

  "Channel open Captain."

  "Attention all crew members of Andromeda.  We will be in this storm for several days so we will be holding a contest to name the storm.  Any crew member who wishes to enter this contest submit a signed suggestion to either myself, Commander O'Malley or Colonel O'Malley.  The winner will receive an extra two duty shifts off.  The deadline for submissions is twenty four hours after the end of your duty shift.  You may only submit one name each.  Good luck."

-----------------------

  Kacey held Natalia as they lay in their bed.  Through the thick bulk head they could hear the storm raging around them.  She ship swayed with the force of the winds.  Through the closed drapes they could still see the lightening flashes that were almost constant and lit up the room.  They could still hear the noise of debris as it slammed against their shields.

  "Kacey could I ask you to do me a favor?"

  "Of course.  If it is within my power to grant I will sweetheart.  What do you need me to do?"

  "Seeing how you are not able to go out, would you be able to some time off?"

  "I wish I could.  My desk is covered is reports again."

  "Can you work on them here?"

  "Of course I can.  I should spend time on the Bridge to give Kate moral support, but will be here when our shifts are over.  Are you spooked by the storm?"

  "You must think that I am a baby.  We used to get ion storms on Marcus Prime and they always spooked me."  Natalia stated.  "Does that make me a coward?"

  "Not in the least.  Kate is spooked by them also."

  "Really?  She did not look spooked on the Bridge."

  "Did you happen to notice how tightly she held onto the arms of her chair?"  Natalia nodded.  "She was in command mode.  She could not show her crew that she was afraid of the storm.  She always has been."

  "Our Kate?"

  "I can guarantee you that right now she has her head buried their blankets."

  "Are you afraid of anything?"

  "Only idiots and fools will say that they are not afraid of anything.  I hope I am neither."

  "What are you afraid of?"

  "I am afraid of something happening to you, our children and family.  Never being able to play the violin again if anything were to happen to my hands, and..."  She paused.

  "And?"

  "Snakes."

  "That is good to hear.  I will never have to worry about you wanting one as a pet."

  "That would never happen babe.  I would like to get a dog like I had when I was growing up and maybe a few horses."

  "Would you teach me to ride?"

  "The dog or the horse?"  Kacey asked and received a slap on the arm.

  "Of course I will teach you.  Maybe even get ponies for the children when they are older.  They make safety equipment for babies.  But I would not put them on a horse until they are at least five.  The age I was when dad first held me in the saddle in front of him.  They would not be allowed to ride unsupervised that goes for you also."  They both yawned.

  Kacey kissed the top of the head that was nestled on her shoulder.  They let sleep overtake them.

                                          CHAPTER 19 B


    The storm continued to rage.  The winds registered well over two hundred fifty KPH with stronger gusts that reached over three hundred KPH.  The ship was tossed about.

    Kate still held her white knuckled grip on the arms of her Command chair as they entered the fourth day in the storm.  Non stop lightening struck the shields.

  "Captain shields are down to fifty percent."

  "Can we increase the power by routing it through the deflector dish?"

  "That may work."

  "Do it."

  The tactical officer worked to route the shield power.  "Shields at ninety two percent."

  "Captain we have lost the port anchor."

  "I have had enough of this damn storm.  Fire up the engines."  Kate ordered.  The engines came to life with a rumble they all felt.  "Raise all remaining anchors."

  Within seconds Rhea reported.  "All anchors are raised."

  "Rich resume our course warp five.  Let's get the Hell out of here."

  "Yes ma'am."

    The ship struggled against the winds that continued to slam against them.  It seemed that they were fighting a losing battle.  For ever meter they gained it seemed they were driver back five meters.  Slowly ever so slowly they made their way towards the end of the storm's destruction.  The lightening continued to strike.  One powerful  bolt hit the deflector which caused the tactical station to send out sparks.

  "Captain, we have lost the deflector.  Shields are down to twenty three percent."

  "Damn it."  Kate swore.  The lights flickered.  "Bring the generators on line in the event the light..."  The Bridge darkened.  "go out."  Kate finished.  Within seconds the emergency lights came on.

  "Stabilizers are taking a beating we are down to forty per cent efficiency."

  "Rich increase speed to warp seven."

  "Aye Captain.  Increase to warp seven."

  "Katie wouldn't that be putting a lot of stress on the hull?"

  "Keep a close eye on the structural integrity.  Let me know if you see a decrease."

  The stairwell door opened.  Kacey walked onto the Bridge holding a bloody handkerchief to her cheek."

  "What happened?"

  "A couple of holding straps broke and I go hit with a couple boxes.  Nothing serious."

  "You should be in Sick Bay."

  "I was but there was a line out the door so I will wait.  Trying to plow our way through?"

  "If you came here to bust my chops..."

  "Relax Kate, I came here to offer my help."

  "Sorry Kacey.  I should not have snapped at you. Can you think of a way to increase our shields?  We lost the deflector dish."  She asked.

  "You can reroute the power from the forest area and trash recyclers to the shield matrix."

  "Do it."  Kate

  Rhea at tactical made the adjustments.  "That helped.  Shields are now are fifty seven percent."

  "You can take the power from the Hanger.  That should be enough.  Just let me get my people out of there first."  Kate nodded.  Kacey touched her communicator.  "Colonel O'Malley to the Hanger.  Everyone drop what you are doing and evacuate the Hanger immediately.  Advise me when all personnel are out."

  "Roger Colonel.  Evacuation in progress."  Several minutes passed before they heard, "Hanger cleared."

  "Reroute power from the Hanger to the shield matrix."  Kate ordered.

  Rhea rerouted the power.  "Shields up to ninety six percent."

  They all breathed a sigh of relief. 

  "Engineering to Bridge."

  "Go ahead Bella."

  "We just lost engine two."

  "You have got to be kidding me."  Kate snapped  "Rich can you maintain our speed on three engines?"

  "We can as long as..."

  "Do not finish that sentence Lieutenant."  Kate ordered.  "How long until we are out of the Hell?"

  "If we can maintain this speed without any additional problems seven hours, Kate."  Anya stated.  "We have almost a million kilometers before we are in the clear."

  "The next person who reports bad news will be thrown out an air lock."  Kate threatened.

  "Everyone think happy thoughts."  Kacey stated.

  "Do ye have a spot of pixie dust with ye lass?"  Liam asked referencing Kacey favorite book.

  "All out dad, but maybe happy thoughts will carry us through."  Kacey responded.  "Do we know if this storm has knocked us off course?"

  "We have no way of knowing until we are in the clear."  Anya answered.

  "So for all we know this blasted storm has blown us right back into Limari territory."

  "Do not go looking for more problems"  Kate ordered.  Kacey held up her hands in peace.

  "Katie the hull stress is reaching a critical point."  Liam stated.

  "Damn it.  Rich back us off to warp five."

  "Aye Captain."

  "How much time will that add to our time in the storm?"

  "At least another hour."

  "Is there any way to increase the structural integrity of the hull?"

  "What if we reversed the polarity.  That might be able to deflect the lightening but the problem that is stressing the hull is trying to push through while the wind is trying to push us back.  If we continue to push through the wind it could tear the ship apart."

  "God damn it tell me something I don't know."  Kate snapped.

  Kacey started to respond but Liam's hand on her arm stopped her.  She took a deep breath and swallowed her anger. "You know Kate, we are all feeling the pressure of this storm.  Everyone of us will be happy to kiss this storm good bye."  She stood.  "I better go see if the lines in Sick Bay are shorter."  She quickly headed for the stairwell.

  "Kacey wait."  Kate called.

  Kacey ignored her and pushed into the stairwell.  The door closed behind her.  In the last hour her cheek had started to throb to much to ignore.  There was still a line waiting to be seen by the doctors and medical staff.  Kacey decided to wait rather than return to the Bridge.  They could still feel the fury of the storm in Sick Bay.

  The Doctor walked into the waiting room.  "Who is next?"

  "Take the Colonel, Doc."

  "I am in no hurry and will wait my turn."  Kacey protested.
   "Come along Colonel. We would rather not have you bleeding all over the waiting room."  Kacey stood and followed the doctor.  Inside Sick Bay she was led to a chair.  The doctor removed the cloth from her face. "You have a nasty gash Colonel.  What happened?"

  "I was hit with some boxes when a couple holding straps broke."

  "Before we close this gash, did you lose consciousness at any time?"

  "No, but I did see a few stars."

  The doctor shown a light in Kacey's eyes.  "Pupils equal and reactive.  How long ago did this happen?"

  "Not really sure.  A couple hours ago."

  "You should have reported here immediately after it happened.  I want to get a quick scan to make sure nothing is broken.  Come with me."

  "I was a bit busy at the time doc.  I did stop by earlier but the lines were down the corridor so I decided to leave and come back when you were not so busy."

  "Get on this table and lay still so that I can take a scan."  Doctor McCloud ordered.  Kacey lay still while the Doctor turned the machine on and pulled it over her head.  She looked at the scan for several minutes moving the machine back and forth.  She finally pushed the machine back out of the way.  "Nothing is broken thank goodness.  Come back into the other room and we will fix you up."  She used a wet cloth to clean the dried blood off Kacey's face.  Next she sprayed an antiseptic into the gash.  Kacey hissed at the sting as the medicine hit the raw edges of flesh.  Then she felt the heat of the dermal regenerator as it closed the gash.  "Do you know how much longer we will be in this storm?"

  "Hopefully only for a few more hours."  A loud bang stopped their conversation.

  "Colonel O'Malley to the Bridge."  


To be continued...

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page