So Far From Home

by Psyche_B

Year three in the Voyage of Andromeda.  The adventure that started in  Among the Stars, and Beyond the Farthest Planet continues in Far From Home.

Go To Part 1


                                            CHAPTER 32 A

    Kate looked at him, afraid to get excited for fear that what he said was untrue.

    "Please join us and tell us about this miracle procedure."

    The Vernan took the seat next to Kate and began to talk.  "It was a procedure that our Healers worked on for many years.  I am not quite sure how it works.  I was only in my second year of apprenticeship when I was taken.  What I do know is they were able to get damaged nerves to regenerate no matter how severe the damage.  As long as the limb was not severed, that is."

  "Would this procedure also work on humans?  More importantly would your Healers even try?"

  "Captain after everything you and your crew have done for Verna, I believe they will.  As for it working on humans, I do not see any problems.  After all we are all basically the same inside.  It is only the outsides that are different.  We may be different colors or have more limbs or our organs may be in different places, we are all the same."

  "There are some that will argue that point.  I am not one of them.  You are Prince Varnu correct?"

    He laughed.  "Very good Captain.  I am indeed Prince Varnu and I believe our Healers will be able to help Colonel O'Malley."

  "We would very much appreciate any help.  Thank you."

  "Captain, we owe you our lives.  Your people rescued us from our captors.  We never thought we would ever see our families and Verna again.  So many died while we were slaves.  You have made our return home possible."

  "What is the success rate of this surgery?"  Patricia asked.

  "When I left it was ninety six percent, but they were working on improving that number.  I will talk to the Queen about setting up a consultation when I speak to her tonight."  He stood up.  "I will leave you to finish your meal."  He left the Mess Hall.

  "That was interesting."  Patricia stated.

  "Extremely interesting."  Anya agreed.  "The question now is do we tell Kacey.  Get her hopes up and run the risk of the Vernans not being able or willing to help her?"

  "After everything she and the entire crew did for them, the least they can do is help."  Patricia stated adamantly.

  "I think you should tell her of the possibility, Kate.  That knowledge may pull her out of the depression."  Anya said.

  "I agree with Anya.  Things are very dark for her right now.  She needs to see the light of hope.  She needs that light Kate.  She needs that hope.  Give her that."

  Kate thought for a minute looking from Patricia to Anya.  "You are both right.  She needs to have some hope, but I think you should tell her mom."

  "No you should be the one Kate."

  "We are barely speaking to each other, or rather she is barely speaking to me.  But considering I started this, it should come from me."

  "She barely speaks to anyone, Kate."  Anya argued

  "That is very true, but I should talk to Natalia first so that she is not blindsided."

------------------------------------

    Kacey remained at the window.  She left only to refill her coffee or use the bathroom, but returned to the window to stare at the passing stars.  Her coffee cup was placed on the window sill.  Kacey brought her hand up and stared at the unmoving fingers inside the brace, willing them to move.  There was no movement and she dropped her hand back to her side.

  The door chimed, breaking into her thoughts.  She glanced at the monitor to see Kate waiting for admittance.  She sighed and turned back to her view of the stars.  The door chimed again.  Kacey knew Kate could and would use Captain's privilege to override and lock and enter her quarters.  The door chimed a third time.

  "Come in."  She called out.

  The door opened and Kate walked in.  "For a minute I did not think you would let me in."

  "That has never stopped you before.  What do you want, Kate?"

  "How about we sit and talk."

  "I am comfortable right here."

  "Then make that request an order, because I am not leaving until we talk and I really do not want a stiff neck from looking up at you."  Kate walked to the replicator.  "Coffee black."  She took the cup and returned to the living room to sit on the love seat, where she waited for Kacey to sit down.  After several minutes, Kacey turned and sat across from her.  "That corner looks empty.  Did you find it necessary to put away all your instruments?"

  "In case you are not aware of this fact, those instruments need ten working fingers.  Why leave them out as a reminder of what I have lost and will never get back."

  "You don't know that."

  "Would you like to hear something really pathetic?  I did some research and found that of all the violinists in the world, only eight percent play left handed.  Did you know that?  Even people who are left handed will play right handed because teachers cannot relate to left handed players.  Also those few who do play left handed, are rarely hired for orchestras because it breaks up the smooth lines of the string section."

  "Just because there are not many lefties, does not mean it is impossible."

  "I actually thought about trying to teach myself how to play left handed.  How pathetic is that?"

  "I do not think it is pathetic at all."

  "Do you know what it would take to even try?"

  "Suppose you tell me."

  Kacey looked at her and drained her coffee.  She went to get another.  "What is the real purpose of you visit Kate?  Or did you just come here to bust my chops?"

  "What if there was a way to get the nerves working again?"

  "There isn't.  Doctor McCloud even admitted that much at my last visit."

  "What if the Healers on Verna had a way?"  Kate watched the tiny sparkle of hope that crept into Kacey's eyes.

  "Explain."

  "I will.  I ask that you listen all the way through before you get angry about the fact we did this on our own."  Kacey nodded.  Kate continued.  "Natalia asked for our help.  She loves you and is very worried for you.  Anya, mom and I were talking in the Mess Hall.  Prince Varnu, one of Queen Dyan's sons talked to us about a procedure the Vernan Healers use to regenerate damaged nerves."  Kate watched the muscle jump in Kacey's cheek and knew she was trying to keep her temper in check.  "He is an apprenticed Healer.  While he could not tell us what the exact procedure was, he said the Healers were able to get nerves to work no matter how badly they were damaged."  The muscle stopped and the sparkle grew stronger.  "Kacey there is a good chance the Healers can help you."

  Kacey was silent.  Kate went to get another coffee while she let her think.  She sat back down.

  "What are the guarantees?"

  "Nothing in life is guaranteed, but Prince Varnu told us that the success rate when he was taken was ninety six percent, but they were working on way to improve that number.  That was almost three years ago.  The Healers may have been able to improve that rate.  I don't know about you, but I am excited about the possibility."  Kate stated.  Kacey rubbed her fingers.  "I hoped for a little enthusiasm from you.  What is going on in your head?"  Kacey remained silent.  "Talk to me."

  "Right after surgery, there was no feeling in my hand at all."  She paused.  "Then the feelings started to slowly return, and I was filled with hope that I would be fully healed.  With each little improvement, that hope grew.  Then the healing stopped.  Now I am not sure I have any hope left in me."

  "I find that hard to believe."

  Kacey stood and walked back to the window still unconsciously rubbing her fingers.  Kate went to her side.  "I cannot allow myself to hope.  I will not allow it.  Having hope only makes the disappointment harder to take."

  "Oh Kacey,"  Kate put her hand on Kacey's arm.

  "I do not expect you to understand, but at this point I cannot afford the luxury of hope."

  Whether you believe it or not, I do understand how you feel.  I will hope for both of us, and I am sure I can speak for the rest of the family also."  Kate put her arms around Kacey's waist and hugged her when she nodded.  "Would it be all right if I brought the keyboard back here?  You still have more room than we do."

  "Yeah sure.  You know you should have had the larger quarters to begin with.  You are the Captain after all."

  "It was the luck of the draw little sister.  Besides sooner or later your children will need their own rooms."  Kate stated.  They stood side by side looking out at the stars.

 

                                        CHAPTER 32 B

    The days passed quietly.  With the keyboard back in their quarters, Kacey resumed the girl's lessons.  The closet where her violin rested remained locked.

    Verna was a day away.  Andromeda was in contact with the planet.  Plans were made for the touch down on Verna and the reception that would follow.

    Kacey's mood lifted slightly each day.  While she was still in a dark place, the dark was not as absolute.  Natalia wore her down and in a moment of weakness, agreed to have the family over for dinner.  They issued an invitation to Queen Dyan's sons Varnu and Willek.

    The mood at dinner was happy and upbeat.  Kacey smiled a few times as the mood was hard to resist.  The Princes were excited about seeing their home and family again for the first time in three years.  Varnu relayed that the Healers were willing to help Kacey and she was scheduled to see them the day after they arrived.  Once again Kate saw the sparkle in her eyes.

  "Full dress uniforms tomorrow."  Kate stated.  "When the ramp opens, we, as in you and I will escort the Princes to the Queen."

  "Not me, Kate.  Dad would be better."  Kacey argued.

  "You and I"  Kate repeated.  As the top two officers we will lead.  Dad, Anya, Rhea and Bella will escort the rest of the Vernans.  That is how it will be."  Kacey sighed.  "Look Kacey it was not dad or I flying around under those Limari ships.  You and your Marines were instrumental n freeing the captives.  The  honor guard will be made up of Marines.  This is how it will be.  I have made my decision.  End of discussion."

  Kacey sighed again and nodded.

-------------------------------

    Andromeda had landed in the same field as before.  The ramps would open as soon as the Vernans arrived.  Kacey checked her reflection to make sure her uniform was correct.  The uniform hung loosely on her tall frame.  The loose fit was the result of her lack of appetite from the depression that still plagued her.

  "Can not do  damned thing about that now."  She thought.  "I should have check before today."  Kacey pulled the belt tighter in an effort to hide the weight loss.  It would not really fool anyone who knew her.  She shrugged as the door chimed.  She took a deep breath and braced herself for what she knew would be the first of the admonitions.

  "Come in Kate."  Kacey called out.

  The door opened.  Kate walked in.  "Are you ready to..." She stopped mid sentence.  "Oh my God.  What the hell have you done to yourself?"

  Kacey blew out a breath.  "Do we really have time for this now?"

  "We will talk later little sister."

  Kacey pulled on her gloves and placed her hat squarely on her head.  One last look to make sure everything lined up and was properly worn.  She turned, her saber slapped against her leg.

  They walked out together.  Kate glanced at Kacey several times as the walked down the corridor.

  "Get it off your chest before you explode, Kate."

  "The sweats hid the weight loss well.  No wonder you did not want to take part in the line up.  Your formals hide nothing."

  "I have not had much of an appetite lately."

  "We will have to work on that.  Prepare yourself because mom is going to jump all over your ass."

  Kacey shrugged.

---------------------------------

    The main ramp opened.  Hundreds of Vernans waited for their loved ones to appear.  Queen Dyan and three of her daughters stood at the head of the crowd.

  Kate and Kacey bracketed Varnu and Willek as they started down the ramp that was lined with the Marine honor guard who held their sabers in front in salute.  Behind them the senior officers led the rest of the Vernans down the ramp.  As soon as the princes cleared the ramp, they ran in a very unregal way to the loving arms of their family.  The crew moved aside to let the Vernans search out their families. 

  "It is scenes like this that makes all the aggravation we went through, worth while."  Kate stated.

  "It certainly does, Kate."  Kacey replied.  "I only wish there were more reunions than the hundred fifty families.  How many will still be without their husbands, sons, and brothers."

  "Kacey do not add more onto your shoulders.  You almost died freeing those hundred fifty Vernans."

  Queen Dyan and her family walked to where they stood.  She held out both of her hands to them.  "Captain, Colonel, there are no words to proclaim my gratitude to you both for the return of my sons and the others who were taken,"

  "I wish there could have been more reunions, your majesty."

  "No Colonel, do not belittle what you and your Marines have accomplished.  We never gave up hope that they would be returned.  I have heard about your bravery during that battle."

  "You cannot believe everything you hear about that, Queen Dyan."

  "You are mistaken.  Neither of my sons are prone to exaggeration.  I believe you did exactly what they have told me.  We Vernans are once again in you debt."  Kacey blushed at the praise.  "You are all invited to a banquet in your honor and to celebrate the return of our citizens."  Queen Dyan spoke loudly to be heard.  Natalia and Patricia, with the children joined the family.  "Tomorrow our Healers will be waiting for you and your doctor to meet with them.  Varnu will bring you to our hospital."

  "She will be there your majesty."  Natalia said.

  "Shall we go into the city?  The feast awaits.  We have many transports waiting for your people Captain."

  Kate led the way to her shuttle followed by Kacey and the rest of the family, the honor guard and senior officers.  Those crew members on first rotation headed to the shuttles and transports.  The line of transports and shuttles made their way into the city.  The streets were lined with citizens dressed in their finest clothes to welcome the liberators.  Flags and banners hung from every window and light pole. Crowds cheered and waved to them.

-----------------------------

    Queen Dyan strode to the microphone behind the head table.  "Honored guests and citizens of Verna, almost three years ago, raiders came to our world and stole hundreds of our young men.  This left Verna unprotected from outside forces.  Then Andromeda came to us.  Their officers and crew trained our women to fly our fighters and taught us how to defend against attack.  They shared their shield technology.  But they did not stop with us.  In their travels, they came upon another civilization being threatened by the same raiders who stole our men.  In the course of defending the Brin, they managed to free many Vernans.  These men were brought home today."  Applause stopped her speech for several minutes.  "In the last few weeks, thank to the crew of Andromeda, we were able to reconnect with our men.  During the course of these conversations, I learned of bravery of Colonel O'Malley and her Marines.  These brave men and women were responsible for bringing down several raiders ships at great peril to themselves.  Could we see the video that Captain Jensen loaned us?"  The screen behind the queen lit up.

  Kacey leaned over to Kate.  "Damn it Kate, you didn't."

  "Prince Varnu asked to borrow it.  I thought it was to just show the Queen."  Kate defended her action.

  The crowd watched the Stingers and shuttles attacking the much larger raider ships.  They listened to Kacey direct her pilots and cheered when the first raider ship fell from the sky.  Gasped when a ship exploded and the fire ball that knocked Kacey and Mike from the battle.  Kacey kept her eyes focused on the table as the video played out behind her.  She felt Natalia's comforting hand on her thigh.  She squeezed the hand in gratitude.

  The video ended and the Vernans were on their feet applauding the Crew and Marines of Andromeda.  Queen Dyan stepped back to the microphone. 

  "I will now read off the names of the persons responsible for rescuing our men.  I ask that they stand as I call out their names.  Colonel Kacey O'Malley, Lt. Colonel Michael Anderson, Major Jeremy Williams, Major Daniel Taggart,"  the queen continued until all the Marines were standing.  "In addition, I will ask these officers to stand.  Captain Kate Jensen, Commander Liam O'Malley, Lt. Commander Anya Jensen, Lt. Commander Rhea Torino, Lt. Commander Bella Torino, Lt. Richard Minor,"  She continued until the entire Bridge crew was standing.  "It is our extreme pleasure to bestow upon these honored guests, the Vernan Medal of Valor and Meritorious Service.  They risked their lives many times to protect strangers.  We owe the crew and Marines of Andromeda a great deal.  This is but one small pat of the honor in being able to claim the citizens of Earth as friends and allies.  I now ask those Vernans chosen to present the medals to our courageous friends."

  Men and women stood and pinned the medals on the uniforms of those honored.


----------------------------

    Kate and Natalia joined Kacey and Doctor McCloud when she met with the Healers.  She lay on the exam table as the doctor and healer discussed the procedures they would use to find the cause behind the lack of feelings that still plagued her.

  Kate and Natalia stood out of the way and listened.  The Healer looked over the reports Doctor McCloud provided.  She read for several minutes.

  "The injury was a broken bone that tore through the skin damaging muscles tendons ligaments and nerves."

  "That is correct Healer Jy."

  "The surgery was an open reduction of the break and repair to all the soft tissue injuries."

  "Also correct."

  "How were these repaired?"

  "We stitched the torn ends together, immobilized the arm until the ends healed."

  "Why did you use stitches?"

  "We had no choice.  The dermal regenerators do not work inside the body."  Doctor McCloud defended her actions.

  Bring me a case of the internal regenerators and chargers."  She ordered.  "These new regenerators will work inside the body. Including organs, nerves, muscles and all soft tissue.  These stitches you used, would they dissolve or would you have to remove them?"

  "They dissolve."

  "Colonel how did you arm feel when the sensations returned?"

  "Each improvement came with a burning and tingly feeling."

  "Tingly?  Please explain."

  "Like there were hundreds of pins and needles sticking in my arm."

  "Let's see what the new scans show us."  The Healer positioned the machine over Kacey's arm.  "Try not to move.  This scan will show us everything inside your arm.  It will not take long."  Healer Jy motioned for the Doctor to move away from the bed.  They went to the monitor and turned the machine on.  She controlled the movement of the machine as it moved back and forth.  She stopped it to look at different areas.  After several minutes she stopped the machine and said "There." 

To be continued...

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page