So Far From Home

by Psyche_B

Year three in the Voyage of Andromeda.  The adventure that started in  Among the Stars, and Beyond the Farthest Planet continues in Far From Home.

Go To Part 1


                                        CHAPTER 34 A

    The week after surgery was in Kacey's opinion one of the longest she had ever experienced.  She followed the doctor's orders to the letter.  She had a firm goal in mind.  Both Doctor McCloud and Healer Jy were optimistic on the surgery being a success.  Kacey tried to keep her optimism firmly in check.  She did not think she would be able to handle anything less that complete success.

    She had yet to open the closet where she placed her music and instruments.  Kacey felt that opening that door prematurely would jinx everything. 

    They lay with their arms around each other with Natalia's head resting on Kacey''s shoulder.  Something touched the farthest reaches of her consciousness and Kacey's  eye opened.  She was not sure what had woke her and laid still listening intently.  The baby monitor was quiet so it was not one of the children that woke her.  Natalia stirred beside her.

  "Is something wrong?"

  "I am not sure.  Something woke me."

  "One of the children?"

  "I don't think so.  I am not sure it was even a noise.  Go back to sleep sweetheart."

  "I will if you will."

  Kacey closed her eyes when Natalia laid back down.  She relaxed and had just started to doze off when it happened again.  Kacey's eyes flew open as she jumped when the sensation returned.  Her arm and fingers burned and felt like a hundred needles were sticking her.  She laid unmoving not wanting to take the chance that movement would stop the feelings.

  "What is going on?"

  "My arm and hand are burning and full of pins and needles."


   "Was that what you felt are the first surgery?"

  "This is more intense."

  "Do you want to go to Sick Bay?"

  "No.  It is the middle of the night and this really is not an emergency.  It can wait for a more rational time.  I do not think the Doc would appreciate being dragged out of bed for a non emergency."

  "Are you sure?"

  "I am.  Lets just try to go back to sleep again."  Kacey tried to put the sensations out her mind.  Eventually she succeeded and she relaxed in Natalia's loving embrace.  Her dreams took shape as she watched herself as a whole person again playing her violin.  She smiled in her sleep.

------------------------------

    Sick Bay was quiet when Kacey walked in.  The Head Nurse met her as she stepped through the doors.

  "Colonel is this a social or professional visit?"

  "Maybe a little of both.  Is Doctor McCloud available?"

  "Follow me.  She is in her office."  Kacey followed the nurse as they headed to the doctor's office.  The door was opened and she knocked on the door frame.  The doctor looked up from her computer.

  "Colonel, come in.  What can I do for you?"

  "You told me to report to you if I experienced any sensations in my hand."

  "Have you?"

  "Yes it woke me up.  At first I was not aware of what woke me, but then the burning and tingling became more pronounced."

  "What time was this?"

  "Around zero two hundred hours.  Talia thought I should come right away, but,"  she stopped and shrugged.  It was the middle of the night and not an emergency.  Maybe I did not want it to be just a fluke."

  "Do you still feel the sensations?"  The doctor moved around the desk and took hold of Kacey's hand.  She moved her fingers expertly over Kacey's arm and hand.

  "Not as much as earlier, but it is still there."

  She ran her fingers across the back of the larger hand.  "Can you feel this?"

  "I can."  Kacey watched the doctor turn her hand over and repeated the touch across the palm.

  "How about this?"

  "Yes."

  "Kacey, I want you to close your eyes."  At the look she continued.  "When the mind wants something so badly, the eyes can sometimes get in the way.  You see me touching your hand that has been numb for several weeks.  I know how much you have wanted the feelings to return.  You eyes may be telling your brain that what you are seeing is exactly what you are feeling."

  "I guess that makes sense Doc."  Kacey stated and closed her eyes.

  Doctor McCloud ran her finger across the palm again.  "Tell me if you feel anything."

  "I felt that."  The doctor ran her finger up the length of Kacey's fingers.  "I felt that also."  Doctor McCloud stopped touching Kacey's hand and waited.

  "Did you feel that?"

  Kacey's frowned.  "No"

  That is good because the third time I did nothing.  Keep your eyes closed."  She reached for a syringe and took the protective cap off the needle.  She pricked Kacey's finger causing her to jump.  She moved to the next finger with the same results.  She repeated the actions several times on different parts of the hand.

  "Damn it Doc, I am not a pin cushion."

  Doctor McCloud laughed. "No you are not.  You can open your eyes now."  Kacey looked at her hand where drops of blood oozed from the needle pricks.  The doctor cleaned off the blood and quickly sealed off the small punctures with a regenerator.  "The good news is that your feelings are back.  You scored one hundred percent on this part."

  "This part?  Is there more?"

  "One or two more, but your reflexes are good.  Can you make a fist?"  Kacey closed her hand.  The three affected fingers were slow in closing but eventually moved.  "Very good.  Now can your wiggle your fingers?"  Kacey wiggled her fingers.  Again the three fingers were slow and stiff but did move.

  "They feel stiff."

  "That is to be expected.  When you do not moved your fingers they will stiffen up quickly.  With exercise that will improve and eventually the stiffness will go away."

  "What sort of exercises?  Not therapy again?"

  "These exercises can be done anywhere.  Just open and closed your fingers.  Slowly.  Do not rush it.  Five or ten times, then stop and an hour later do it again.  You can lose the brace as it will hinder movement.  Kacey I know you are anxious to recover full use of your hand.  At this point it is very important not to rush things.  It could cause a set back or even halt the process."

  "Doc will I regain full use of my hand?"

  "I believe it is safe to say you will recover ninety nine point nine percent."

  "Why not a hundred?"

  "Kacey there was a great deal of damage that had to be repaired.  Any possibility that might, and I stress the word might be present will be negligible and will not affect your hand and finger movement.  When do you have to see Healer Jy again?"

  "In two days."

  "I believe she will be happy with your results.  Now the answer to the question you are about to ask is yes.  You will be able to return to playing your violin.  However,"

  "There always seems to be a but somewhere."  Kacey stated.

  "Only a small one.  You need to wait a week.  Do the exercise to get your fingers moving comfortable.  Be patient and do not try to rush things."

  "Doc, contrary to what Kate says, when there is something I really want, I can be the most patient person in the universe."

  "Good, and remember when you do start playing again, start slow.  Do not force your fingers.  It could cause cramping and strain.  Rushing your recovery at this point can have the opposite effect."

  "I understand Doc."

------------------------------------

    Natalia had the children in their walkers.  She kept her hands busy in the hope that her mind would also be busy instead of worrying, while she waited for Kacey to return.  She worried about the pain Kacey felt turning out to be just a fluke.  She also knew Kacey would not be able to handle another setback.

    Just this morning, she pulled her music player and discs out of the closet.  Kacey refused to take her violin out yet.  Natalia glanced at the clock surprised to see that only fifteen minutes had passed since Kacey left.  She sat on the floor and played with their children willing the time to go faster.

  Natalia looked at the monitor when the door chimed.  "Come in Kate."  She called out.  The door opened admitting Kate and their girls.

  "Good morning Natalia."  Kate said as the girls ran to play with the babies.

  "Hi Aunt Natty."  they called out together.

  "Hi girls.  To what do I owe the pleasure of this visit?"

  "We were wondering if you, Kacey and the children would like to go down to the lake for a picnic."

  "Do you?"  Erin asked.

  "I would love to, but I have to wait until Aunt Kacey returns to ask her."

  "Where is she?"  Kate asked.

  Natalia cleared her throat and stood up.  "She, umm, she went to Sick Bay."

  "Is something wrong?"  Natalia hesitated before answering. "Natalia is anything wrong with her?"

  "Not wrong exactly, at least we hope nothing is wrong.  She had some pain in her hand and arm during the night."

  "How bad was it?"

  "Bad enough to wake her up.  She said it felt tingly and burning.  So she went to talk to the doctor."

  "Those are the same sensations she felt before?"

  "Yes, so she was, she had a hard time keeping her excitement under control."

  "When did she leave?"

  "About twenty  minutes ago."  Natalia responded.  "Would you like a coffee?"

    "Relax, I know where everything is."  Kate went into the kitchen and helped herself to coffee.

    "Is there anything you would like us to bring for this picnic?"

    "Check with Anya and mom.  I am only the messenger."

    "Somehow I can not imagine the Captain being demoted to a mere messenger.  That would be like calling Kacey a mere jar head."

    "Jar head?  That term has not been used in years.  Where did you hear that?"

    "We were talking the other evening about the Marines.  Kacey mentioned the term.  Was that not correct?"

    "It was correct.  I am just surprised."

    The door opened.  Kacey walked in with a smile on her face.  "From the size of that smile, I take it the news was good?"

    "Hey Kate."  Kacey said and kissed Natalia.  "The news was very good.  The feeling have returned."

    "Hallelujah"  Kate shouted.  "So that mean s no more hiding in your quarters?"

    "Don't start with me Kate."  Kacey warned. "What brings you here?"

    "Aunt Kacey do you want to come on a picnic with us?"  Erica asked.

    "Down by the lake.  Mummy said we might even be able to go swimming. So do you?"

    "What do you think Talia.  Feel like spending time with these two demons and Kate"

    "Hey watch it little sister."

    "I would like that.  It will give us another chance to be off ship before we leave."

    "When will that happen?"  Kacey asked.

    "We have a few more days maybe even a week.  Tomorrow night we have a dinner invitation from the Queen, which includes the family, Mike, Rhea and Bella.  Full dress uniforms at nineteen hundred hours.  No excuses."  Kate stated.  "When will you return to duty?"

    "Hopefully when we take off again, at least desk duty.  I will know more after I talk to Healer Jy."

    "I would like you on the Bridge when we take off.  

                                           CHAPTER 34 B

    "Rich begin preflight check."  Kate ordered.  "Engineering."

    "Yes Captain."

    "Are your engines ready to go?"

    "You give the word, Captain.  They are primed and ready to go."

    "Colonel Anderson reports all ships ready to go."

    "Thank you Ensign."  She pressed her communicator.  "Colonel O'Malley to the Bridge."

    "I am on my way."

    "Open ship wide channel."  The chime sounded.  "Attention all crew and residents of Andromeda.  We are about to lift off Verna.  Ready and secure all stations and quarters.  All departments report readiness in five minutes."

    Kacey walked off the lift and took her seat.

    "Pre flight check is completed Captain."  Rich stated

    "Stand by."

    "Weapons are online and charged.  Shields are up."  Rhea reported.

    "Sensors show clear skies above us."  Anya stated.

    "All departments report readiness Katie."  Liam informed her.  "We are good to go."

    "Start engines."  Kate ordered.  The large engines rumbled to life and they felt the vibrations.

    "Shuttles have all lifted off and are holding at three kilometers.  Colonel Anderson reports all clear."

    "Rich take us up one quarter impulse."

    "Yes ma'am one quarter impulse."

    The large ship rose off the ground.  The Bridge crew watched Verna growing smaller and smaller in the view screen.  They all felt down with the knowledge they would not see the friends they had made.  Even though this was the third time they had said good bye to new friends, the partings did not get any easier.

    "Rich increase our speed to one half impulse.  Advise when we have left the gravitational pull of Verna."

    "Increasing speed to one half impulse."  Rich stated.

    The ship continued to rise.  "We will be outside Verna's gravitational pull in three, two, one."  The ship shuddered slightly as they entered the vacuum of space.

  "Set our course for Gellary."

  "Course to Gellary plotted and sent to the Helm."  Anya reported.

  "Course locked in."

  "Proceed Rich warp five."

  The stars became a blur in the view screen as the ship picked up speed."

  "Is there anything on the boards?"

  "There is nothing for the next ten million kilometers."  Anya stated.

  "Good lets keep it that way."  Kate said.  "Now as long as everything is quiet, I have no excuses for delaying my reports.  I will be in my Ready Room."  Kate stood up.  "Commander you have the Bridge."  Kate walked to her Ready room, motioning for Kacey to follow.

    "It never gets easier does it."  Kacey asked as the door closed behind them.

    "What?"

    "Saying good bye and knowing you will never see friends again."

    "You could always put in for another long mission.  Coffee?"

    "Sure Kate.  As for another long flight?  I do not think so.  When we return to Earth I think I am going to put in for a flight training command."

  "What will you do if they do not give you one?"

  "I am not sure.  I might resign my commission."

  "You would do that?"

  "Yes.  The last injury has shown me that I am done putting my life on the line."  She took a sip of her coffee. "Kate so much could have happened when I was blown onto that rock.  The hull could have ruptured.  My shuttle could have exploded."

  "But neither of those things happened.  You are here to talk about it."

  "Yeah, I am.  Kate I have a big favor to ask you."

  "That does not sound good."  Kate responded.  "What is the favor?"

  Kacey took a deep breath before she spoke.  "I do not want to put a jinx on anything.  I know it is policy is that if an crew member dies when we are far from home their body's are shot into space.  Kate if..." She hesitated.  "If something were to happen to me, would you take my body home.  I want to be buried on Earth and not sent into space."

  "Why would you even bring that up?"

  "I came face to face with my own mortality while I was on that rock.  I know I have been in dangerous situations before but this time it was different.  This injury, this time I felt the Coiste Bodhar, the death coach get ready to start it's journey."

  Kate felt like she had been kicked in the stomach.  She cleared her throat.  "Does..." Kate stopped and cleared her throat again.  "Does Natalia know?"

  "No and I am not sure if I want to put this on her."

  "My advice on that is do not.  She does not need to know that."

  "Would you hide something like this from Anya?"

  "Absolutely.  Of course if she found out I hid it from her, she would make me pay dearly for not telling her."  Kate joked. As she tried to diffuse the tension.  "It did not happen so there is no sense in putting that on her."

  "I agree.  You did not answer my request."

  "I will make sure your body is taken back to Earth and not shot into space.  Natalia, not to mention mom and dad would kill me.  Tell me have you ever been on deck thirteen?"

  "No.  Why should I visit the morgue?"

  "It is not just the morgue.  There are also one hundred fifty stasis tubes there for anyone whose last request was to be buried on Earth.  It is also space protocol that  if any commanders  die in space, their bodies are brought home."

  "Really?  I did not know that."

  "Do one thing for me in return."  Kacey nodded.  "When you get the clearance to fly  do not let your anger get the best of your intelligence and common sense."

  "Is that al?"  Kacey laughed.  "I will try."

  "What do you say we lighten this a little?  How is your hand?"

  Kacey held up her left hand and flexed it several times.  "Almost as good as new.  Still a little stiff but getting better all the time.  All the feelings have returned in my fingers.  I hope after I see the Doc today, she will give me the okay."

  "What time is your appointment?  Kate asked.  "Not flying yet?"

  "Hopefully, but I will settle for being able to play my violin.  My appointment is for fourteen hundred hours."

  "Have you even taken it out of the closet yet?"

  "Nope.  Not until the Doc gives the okay.  But..."  she stopped.  Kate waited for her to continue.  "What if it is no longer there?"

  "The 'it' I assume is not flying?"  Kacey nodded.

  "What if the music is gone?"

  "I really do not think that would ever happen.  Music has been a big part of your life for many years.  It is still there in you.  No matter what the music is still there."

  "I hope so."  Kacey replied.  "Kate when the Doctor does give me the okay, would it be all right for Natalia to visit?"

  "Of course.  Why?"

  "I need to be alone that first time.  No one can hear that first attempt.  No one.  Please Kate."

  "I understand.  I know how much of a perfectionist you are.  I also hope that when the time comes you explain it to Natalia and not just tell her to pack up the kids and go visit us." 

  "I will explain it. Now I should let you get to your reports.

    "Thanks a lot little sister."

    "Younger Kate."  Kacey placed her empty cup on the desk and left the room.  She waved to Natalia as she went to the lift.

To be continued...

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page