The Voyage Home

by Psyche_B

he adventures of the Star Traveler Andromeda that started in Among the Stars, Beyond the Farthest Planet, and So Far From Home, continues in the final chapter The Voyage Home.

Go To Part 1


     Andromeda landed on Athena.  The shuttles and stingers circled the large ship.  The area was secured by the Marines before the ramps were opened.  The crew worked for hours to set up the survival huts near the lake.  Those not involved with the huts collected dead wood for campfires and stones to enclose the fire pits. 

  The Marines set a perimeter of seven kilometers around Andromeda with shock sticks and the rovers were brought out.  The temperatures hovered in the mid eighties and everyone took advantage of the uniforms optional rule Kate announced.  The only stipulations were that the clothing they wore was in good taste and that communicators and rank insignias were worn at all times.

  Kacey was busy setting up the rotation for guard duty.  Working with Rhea and utilizing her security force they managed to set up a schedule that would allow everyone to take advantage of shore leave.  They also set up the rotation of guards for anytime Kate left the confines of the ship.  A fact Kacey knew would be met with angry outbursts.  Her orders came from a higher power and there was no way she would disobey the orders from the Joint Chiefs.  No matter how angry Kate got.

  Kacey stood outside Andromeda watching the activity around her.  She had binoculars around her neck, a radio clipped to her belt next to the gun in her holster.

  "I hope you plan on allowing yourself time to enjoy this shore leave Kacey?"  Mike asked, as he walked up behind her.

  "Yes I do.  I think I may have five or ten minutes penciled in for next week."  Kacey joked.

  "Does the Captain know she will have a shadow?"

  "Not yet.  I have not had the chance to tell her yet.  I hope she does not notice before I have that chance."

  "She would have to be blind not to notice that there are always a couple Marines or Security close by where ever she goes."  Mike replied.  "Since when did you start believing in fairy tales?"

  "Hey I am Irish, we believe in these things."  She laughed.  "So is Kate, so I can hope."

  "What do you hope I am?"  Kate stated as she walked up behind them.

  "I will talk to you later, Kacey."  Mike said and he walked quickly away."

  "Looks like the crew is planning one Hell of a party for the time we are here.  So far I have heard plans for a cookout and I think some crew were mentioning fireworks."

  "Kacey."

  "I wonder if the replicators have all the fixings for s'mores."

  "Kacey."

  Kacey started to walk towards the Hanger.  "I have to check on a few things.  See you later Kate."

  "Stop right there Colonel."  Kate ordered.  Kacey stopped and turned to face Kate.  "What is going on?"

  "The only thing going on is setting up for shore leave."

  "What did you hope I did?"

  "Oh that."

  "Yes that.  What did you mean?"

  "I said that the Irish believe in all sorts of things and seeing that you are also Irish, I hoped you did too."

  "That's it?"

  "Yeah.  What did you think we were talking about?"

  "Oh maybe the fact that I will have a shadow whenever I step off the ship."

  "Why would you think that?"

  "Several reasons such as the fact that you are in fatigues when uniforms are optional.  Plus you have binoculars and a gun.  Or maybe it could be because your were ordered by the Joint Chiefs to protect me.  Or it very well could be that I heard you and Mike talking as I walked up."

  "All right.  I am guilty as charged."

  "We are on an uninhabited planetoid.  Call off the guards."

  "That is not going to happen Kate.  We only have a few months left and I intend to do everything in my power to make sure you get home safely."

  "There is no threat here.  Call them off."

  "No Kate.  And do not even think about pulling rank.  Andromeda is on the ground and you are on my turf now.  The guards stay."

  "This is not over, Colonel."  Kate stated and stormed away.

  "That went well."  Kacey said to herself.

-----------------------

  "Captain Jensen and Colonel O'Malley to the Bridge."

  "On my way."  Kacey replied.

  Kacey gave the area one last look over before she headed into Andromeda.  A short time later she stepped off the lift onto the Bridge.  Kate stood next to the tactical officer.

  "What's up?"  She asked.

  The officer looked at Kate who nodded for him to continue.  "Sensors have picked up a large cluster of life signs one hundred thirty seven kilometers away."

  "Life signs?  Are they animal or humanoid?"

  "Some animals but many are humanoid."

  "When we were here before, there were no humanoid life forms and the only animals we came across were those horse like creatures and the big cats.  Where did they come from?"  Kacey asked.  "Are those horses?"

  "They are fairly large, Colonel, but we cannot tell what sort of animals."

  "Are you picking up any technology?"

  "None ma'am."

  "I know that look.  You are planning on taking a look aren't you?"  Kate asked.

  "Yes.  I will get my pilots in the air."  Kacey answered and touched her communicator.

  "You are not going?"

  "Why do you want to go check things out?"

  "I am very interested."

  "All right.  Get in touch with Anya and Rhea and meet me at my shuttle in twenty minutes."  Kacey headed to the lift.  She pressed her communicator.  "Talia?"

  "Kacey?  Is something wrong?"

  "The sensors picked up life forms that we are going to check out.  I probably will not be back for lunch.  Kate is getting Anya and Rhea now." 

  "Please be careful."

  "I will.  Love you."

  "Love you right back."

  Kacey pressed her communicator again.  "Mike?"

  "Yes Kacey?"

  "I am sorry to pull you away from your down time, but sensors have picked up life forms that we are going to check out."

  "Would you like backup"

  "I would.  See if you can get a few others to go with us."

  "Certainly.  Meet you in ten minutes?"

  "Make it twenty I am waiting for Kate."

  "Will do.  I will get your shuttle loaded up."

  Kacey went into her office and grabbed, her hat and sun glasses before she headed to her shuttle.  While she waited she did her outside inspection before she did her preflight check.  Mike entered with several survival packs that he handed to Kacey.  She stowed them in the bulk head compartments.

  "Who did you talk into giving up their free time?"

  "Jere and Dan were more than willing.  Would you like more?  What about Stinger coverage?"

  "Good job.  We do not know what or who those humanoids are or if they are dangerous.  The four of us should be enough.  Hold off on putting the stingers in the air but put them on standby in case we need them." Mike left the shuttle and went into his own while they waited for the others.  Kacey keyed the mike.  "Shamrock to Bridge.  Could you send the coordinates of the life forms to my shuttle and shuttle three?"   "Roger Colonel.  Coordinates sent."

  Kacey pulled up the sensor readings and studied the location.  Kate entered with Anya and Rhea.  Rhea closed the ramp and took her position at the tactical console.  Anya sat behind the navigation monitor while Kate sat in the co-pilot's chair.  Kacey started the shuttle.  "Strap in everyone."  She ordered.  "Anya the Bridge sent the coordinates to your station."

  "I have them.  Head northwest forty seven degrees."

  "Roger Northwest forty seven degrees."

  "Weapons are online and shields are up."  Rhea reported.

  The shuttles lifted off.  Kacey headed to the coordinates with Mike close behind.  "We will be there in twenty minutes.  How close do you want to get to them"

  "How about a kilometer.  I do not want to spook them."  Kate answered.

  "Agreed, then we will go in on foot."

  "How many extra guards did you bring?"  Kate asked sarcastically.

  "Do you really want to get into this now?"  Kacey looked at her.  "I have backup and not just for you.  We have no idea who is there or how many beings we will see.  So please knock it off."

  "She is right Kate." Anya agreed.

  Kate blew out a breath and did not respond.  She concentrated on the view outside the windshield as they flew just a few meters above the ground.  They arrived at the landing point.  Kacey shut down the shuttle and released her safety harness.

  "Shamrock to Andromeda, be advised we will be leaving the shuttles in approximately five minutes and going in on foot."

  "Roger Shamrock.  We have you on video."

  Kacey removed her headphones and went to the rear of the shuttle.  Anya handed out survival packs and weapons.  Rhea handed out the water bottles and personal sensors.  They all clipped the sensors to their belts.  Kacey clipped the radio next to the sensor.  She grabbed her hat and sunglasses and pulled the pack over her shoulders.

  "Do you have your pens, Kate?"

  "I have several."  Anya responded.

  "Good.  Kate I need you to stay behind me at all times.  If at any time I sense danger, Rhea it will be your responsibility to get her back to the shuttle and lock yourselves in.  The code to open the ramp is one two one two zero six.  Under no circumstances are you to wait for me.  Understand?"

  "I will not leave you..."

  "I can always lock you here while we go on Kate."  Kacey warned.  "Rhea?"

  "I understand Kacey."

  "Let's go."



Kacey opened the ramp and they met the Marines outside.  "We are about a kilometer away.  Fan out but stay within ten meters of each other.  We are on a fact finding mission only."  They started out.  Kacey kept the pace steady.  Kate walked a few paces behind Kacey and Mike.  She was bracketed by Anya and Rhea.

  Ten minutes from the shuttle, they rounded a hill and a blast hit the ground inches from Kacey's feet and forced them to stop.  Kacey, Mike and Rhea reached for their weapons.

  "Hold."  Kate ordered.

  "Do not come any closer."  One of the aliens spoke.  He pointed a glowing energy staff at them.

  Kate tried to push past Kacey in an effort to lead the group.  Kacey held her arm out to stop her.  "Stay behind me."  She ordered not taking her eyes off the band of aliens.  "We come in peace."  She called out.  "I am Colonel Kirsten O'Malley of the United World Marine Corps.  We do not want a fight, but will protect ourselves if provoked."

  "What planet are you from?"

  "We are from Earth."

  "Why are you here?"

  "We are on our way home after being in space for the past three years.  We are only visiting."

  "You are humans?"

  "Yes we are."  Kacey replied.  The alien lowered his staff.  Kate tried again to get past Kacey who pushed her back.  "God Damn it Kate.  Stay behind me." Rhea grabbed one arm, Anya the other and kept Kate from moving forward.

  "Let Kacey handle this."  Anya stated, as they watched the alien hand his staff to another.  Kacey removed her weapons belt and handed it to Mike.  They both moved forward and stopped at equal distance to both groups.  Kate pulled against the hands that held her.

  "Let me go.  She is going to get killed."  Kate hissed angrily,.  "She is not even armed."

  "Stop Kate."  Anya ordered.  "Trust Kacey."

  Kacey and the alien sat on the ground.  They could not hear what they were saying.

  "I am called Ti.  I am Head Councilor for the Vidag.  My people come from the other side of the ice field.  We have been traveling many cycles of the seasons."

  "How did you end up here?"

  "We were forced to leave our homes when raiders invaded and killed many.  Once our numbers were in the millions now we are less than a thousand.  We are looking for a new home.  Some where we can be safe.  We will continue looking if this world is claimed by humans."

  "This world does not belong to anyone.  We are only stopping here to give our people a chance to have some leave before we continue on our journey.  How long have you been here?"

  He held up both hands with his fingers spread out.  "This many nights."

  "Do you have any weapons besides those energy staffs?"  Ti looked at her suspiciously.  "I am only asking because we may be able to help you to better protect your selves.  We are not here to quarrel with you."

  "We have other small weapons.  We are a peaceful people."

  "I would like to call my Captain over to talk with you.  Would that be all right?"

  "You are not the leader?"

  "The Captain and I share the responsibility.  On the ground I am the leader.  In flight, she is."

  "I will call my second also."

  "That is acceptable."  Kacey motioned for Kate to come forward.  Anya  and Rhea released her arms.  She removed her weapons before she walked forward.  Ti's second handed his staff to another before he walked forward.  Both sat on the ground.

  "First Councilor Ti of the Vidag, I would like to introduce Captain Kate Jensen of the United World Star Traveler Andromeda.  Kate, this is First Councilor Ti of the Vidag."

  "First councilor Ti."  Kate nodded.

  "This is my second in command, Assistant Councilor Caton."

  Both women nodded when Caton did.

  "Kate, Ti and his people were driven from their home planet outside the Kuiper Belt.  They have been traveling for many months and have only been here for a short time."

  "How far have you explored?"  Kate asked

  "This side only.  We need to find bigger water sources."

  "You are on the wrong side of this world."  Kacey stated.  "There is plenty of water on the other side of these hills."  Kacey pointed. 

  "We can show you where the water is.  Our people mapped out this planet the last time we were here.  We will be happy to share what we have found."  Kate offered. 

  "We can bring you to our ship or we can bring the information to you." Kacey stated.  "If you come with us, we can show you the area."

  "Will my second be allowed to see this area also?"

  "Of course.  Our shuttles are a short distance away."

  They stood up.  Ti and Caton went back to the aliens and spoke to them. Kate and Kacey did the same.  After the introductions were made they headed back to the shuttles.

  "First Councilor Ti, our sensors did not show any ships on this world. How were you able to hide your ships?"

  "I am not sure. We landed at the base of the large hills."  He pointed behind them.

  "There must be some kind of mineral in those hills that acts as a dampening field which could work in your favor Ti."  Rhea stated.


   "Anya what is the chemical make up of those hills."

  "I will check my logs once we are back to Andromeda."  Anya replied.

To be continued...

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page