The Voyage Home

by Psyche_B

he adventures of the Star Traveler Andromeda that started in Among the Stars, Beyond the Farthest Planet, and So Far From Home, continues in the final chapter The Voyage Home.

Go To Part 1


"Open channel." Kate ordered.

"Channel open Captain."

"This is Captain Kate Jensen of the Andromeda to Captain Sturgis of the Star Traveler Artemis."

"Captain Jensen, welcome home."

"Thank you Captain Sturgis. The stingers are in transit to transfer over to your ship. There are two shuttles with them to bring back our pilots."

"Kate, tell me Captain to Captain, are these smaller ships really necessary?"

"Rachel, I thought like you at one time, but those stingers proved themselves many times during the last four years. I would not even think about taking a journey without them. Where you are heading, these ships and their pilots will be an asset to your ship and crew. Do not be afraid to utilize them. They will do you proud, just like they did here."

"All right Kate."

"Captain all the stingers maintenance and upgrade logs have sent with one of the shuttles. Thirty six of them have been equipped with cloaking devices." Kacey stated as she stood next to Kate.

"Colonel O'Malley, your exploits out there have turned you into a hero for many girls of all ages."

"What?"

"You should be proud of your accomplishments. From the latest count, enrollment of women at the Marine Academy is up forty three percent. The same for the Space academy where enrollment for women is up fifty two percent. You are both role models for our young women. Tell me Colonel, other than space battles, what did you use the stingers for?"

"We used them for mapping uncharted planets of all sizes. No matter what type. The only ones they or even Andromeda could not handle were those with a poisonous atmosphere, or due to volcanic ash or in the deep freeze. Any other types can be mapped to give you a better picture of the terrain. They also ran guard flights around Andromeda when she was damaged. They are more maneuverable than a big ship and can get out of the way faster. Who is their commanding officer?"

"Colonel Peter Montgomery."

"He is a good man and will do you proud. He is not afraid of a challenge."

"I consider that high praise coming from you. You have convinced me. I will put them to good use. I just received notification that the stingers have arrived. As soon as possible your pilots will be on the way back." Captain Sturgis stated. "Kate we also have the information you sent on that warring civilization and we will be on the lookout for them. Hopefully the upgrades that you recommended on our shields and weapons will work for us and against them. If they fail we still have speed on our side and a way to mask our propulsion trails."

"Rachel have a safe and successful journey."

"Thank you Kate. Once again welcome home Andromeda."

The view screen changed to an outside view of the Artemis against the backdrop of Earth.

"Position our top guns away from Artemis and on my mark send off a salute." Kate ordered.

"Guns positioned and waiting, Captain." Rhea responded.

"Colonel Anderson to the Bridge."

"Go ahead Colonel."

"The shuttles have landed and launch doors are closed."

"Roger Colonel."

"Artemis is firing up her engines." Rhea reported.

"Fire off salute." The top guns sent their shots into space in salute. Artemis sent a volley in thanks and soon was far away from Andromeda. They watched for several seconds until Artemis was but a speck in the distance. "Rich head us towards home and hold just outside the gravitational pull of Earth. Transports will start arriving tomorrow at eight hundred hours to take the first of the civilians off."

"Aye Captain. We will arrive in six hours."

----------------------------------------------------------------

"Attentions all civilians from decks seven, eight and nine. The transports are waiting in the Hanger to return you to Earth." Kate announced. "It has been a pleasure to share our journey with you. We will see you all on Earth on four July. Safe landing to you all."

Once the channel was cut, Kate left the Bridge quickly for the sanctity of her Ready Room. Liam looked at Anya and placed a restraining hand on Kacey's arm to stop her. Anya nodded and left the Bridge. She entered the Ready Room without ringing the admittance chime. Kate stood at the windows, her shoulders shaking with sobs. Anya put her arms around Kate and pulled her close as sobs continued to shake her smaller frame.

"Shh my Kate."

"It is so hard to say good bye. I am not sure I can take four days of good byes."

"You will because you are Captain and we will all be with you. Patricia, Liam, Kacey, Natalia, Rhea and Bella will be standing by your side."

"I appreciate that my darling."

"Now just clear your mind and brace yourself. As you said this is only the beginning. I believe the brass decided to do it this way because they know the last day will be the hardest. This gives you the chance to harden up. Taking the leavings in small doses will allow you to do that."

Kate took a shaky breath. "You are right again. Thank you."

"As always it is my pleasure my Kate. Now go slap some cold water on your face and come back to the Bridge."

Anya returned to the Bridge where she nodded to Liam and Kacey.

"I think I will go down to the Hanger and see how the loading is going." Kacey stated and left the Bridge.

Kate walked out and sat in her command chair. "Feeling better Katie?"

"I am. Thank you for sending Anya in."

"Kacey wanted to go but I held her back."

"I am glad you did. Where is she?"

"She went down to the Hanger."

"Good that way if there are any problems she will handle them."

-------------------------------------------------------------

The lines of civilians stretched down the corridor. Each person carried one suitcase with them. The balance of their belongings would be off loaded after Andromeda had landed. With the stingers gone, the transport filled the Hanger. The Marines helped the civilians board the transports. After several hours, the air lock doors closed and the first transports of civilians left Andromeda to return to Earth.

The next two days would be the same until only service personnel, their families, and a select group of civilians remained on board.

------------------------------------

"Ladies and gentlemen, we are about to finish our journey together. The disembarking will begin at thirteen hundred hours. The remainder of the civilians will leave once the Hanger ramps open. Marines will be in their day formals and will line the ramp and walkway as an Honor Guard, once their names are called. Crew members will be in their regular dress uniforms and not dress whites. Crew members will disembark by department as their names are called. Department heads and senior staff will form a receiving line. As each Marine and crew member's names are called, they will walk the receiving line. Those in the receiving line will shake the hand of each crew member. Please check your hand computers for the full list of protocol rules for the final leave taking." Kate swallowed past the lump in her throat. "It has been a rewarding, educational, exciting and pleasurable four years. You all have a special place in our hearts. It has been a pleasure and a privilege to serve this mission with you. I expect to see each and everyone of you at our yearly reunions that will be held beginning four July twenty one eighty one." Kate paused before she gave the order. "Rich for the last time take us down."

"Aye Captain." He responded his voice cracking with emotion.

Andromeda came slowly down. The large open area from the last launch stood waiting for them. Thousands of spectators watched from the viewing stands. Cameras captured the descent for millions of viewers around the world.

They could see the crowds waiting for them, cheering and waving flags. The cheers could be faintly heard through the hull as Andromeda lightly touched down.

"Bridge to Engineering."

"Go ahead Captain."

"Commander shut down all engines."

"Roger Captain." One by one the large engines fell silent.

"Open ship wide channel." The chime sounded. "Once again it has been a pleasure ladies and gentlemen. You have been an extraordinary crew and I thank each and every one of you. The time is now eleven thirty hours. We will meet in the Hanger at twelve forty five hours." The chime sounded again.
"Shut down and secure all stations. We are home. You have a little over an hour to change and be in the Hanger when the ramp opens."

The Bridge crew left their posts and entered the lift until only Kate, Liam, Kacey and Anya remained. Liam looked at Anya and they moved to Kate's side. She looked at them, nodded and together they walked off the Bridge.

----------------------------------

The Hanger filled with civilian family members and various crew members in their dress uniforms. Kate sent Anya ahead as she wanted one last look at her Bridge. She stood in front of her command chair and slowly looked around the Bridge at the now empty stations. The lift behind her opened and Kacey stepped off. Their eyes met and Kacey walked to Kate's side.

"I asked Anya to let me come up." Kacey stated.

"It is hard to believe that our four years are at an end."

"Four remarkable years Kate. We have seen a great deal on our journey. We have established ties with five races and journeyed further that any human has before. We were the first to live continuously in space for four years. The knowledge we are bringing back will help future generations of space travelers. Now our time in space is at an end, but our lives on Earth are beginning. Be happy Kate, you brought your crew safely home."

"I have always known that you were an extremely intelligent person, but when did you become so smart?"

Kacey shrugged. "It snuck up on me?" She joked. "I woke up one morning and it was there." Kate laughed. "Kate, no matter what happened on this journey, no matter how many fights we had, I want you to know, that I would do it all over again."

"So would I." Kate responded. "Colonel O'Malley, I know we will be back on board to clear out our quarters and offices, but shall we take one last trip to the Hanger together as officers of this grand lady."

"Captain Jensen it will be my pleasure." They walked off the Bridge together. "I have to make a quick stop at my office." Kacey stated as they stepped off the lift. She went into her office and returned seconds later carrying her violin case that she handed to Patricia. "Mom would you take care of this for me? I do not want to leave it on board when no one is here."

"Of course dear." Patricia placed the case in the basket behind the stroller.

"Thank you for taking care of the monsters." Kacey bent down and talked to the children. "You both be good for gramma." She stood back up. "Are you sure the four will not be any problem for you?"

"Nonsense, the girls will help me won't you?"

"Aunt Kacey we will help grandma." Erica stated.

"All right, this is a big job for you. Do not go wandering off. There will be a lot of people out there and it would be very easy to get separated from grandma."

"We won't, we promise." Erin said.

"Kacey we will be fine. Now it is almost time. We will be waiting in the family section for you all."

Kacey kissed the children then Patricia, before she went to stand next to Liam. He moved aside so that she could stand next to Kate instead. The Hanger doors opened and the ramp lowered. The families of the crew left Andromeda. They could hear the speeches start.

General Millhouse strode to the microphone and asked for attention.

"On four July, twenty one seventy six, at thirteen hundred hours, the crew boarded Andromeda, the first Star Traveler, for its maiden flight. Today Andromeda has returned to earth after four successful years in space. Now at thirteen hundred hours that same crew will leave their ship after a triumphant journey. They were the first humans to travel outside our known planets. The first humans to pass through the Kuiper Belt and found new friends and allies with the Gellarians, Vernans, Brin and Terrans. We now have established ties outside our known solar system. But they were not finished. They formed an alliance with the Vidag who came to this solar system to live in peace." The spectators cheered.

"I could spend several hours listing their accomplishments, but you can read of them in the booklets that you were given when you came in. I will instead introduce the valiant crew of the Andromeda." Cheers drowned him out. "I ask for the sake of time that you hold your applause until the end. We will begin with the Marines of Andromeda. Corporal David Mitchum, Corporal Eliza McMillan," The names were read. As their names were called they shook the hands of the department heads, stepped out onto the ramp, turned and saluted. They walked down the ramp and took their place as part of the honor guard to line both sides of the walkway and ramp. As the Marines continued to march into position music played in the background. Mike, as the last Marine to be announced, took his position a few meters from the top of the ramp.

Admiral Tacher took his position. "We will now move onto School Teachers." He read the names as they teachers walked off the ship. The list continued through the Day Care workers, Medical Staff, Kitchen Staff, Engineers, Science, Navigation, Tactical, Security, and Pilots. The names continued. After two hours all that remained were the department heads.

From his position at the head of the ramp Mike ordered. "Draw swords for the Arch of Swords." The department heads were called. One by one they were called until Kate, Liam and Kacey remained. They watched each one walk off the ship and salute before continuing under the arch.

"Now ladies and gentlemen please stand in respect for the top three officers of Andromeda. First Officer Commander Liam O'Malley, Marine Colonel Kirsten O'Malley. They as others before them, shook Kate's hand, stepped onto the ramp, turned together and saluted Kate who stood at the top. "The leader of Andromeda, Captain Kate Jensen." Liam and Kacey took a few steps and waited for Kate. Together they walked down the ramp to the thunderous applause of the thousands of spectators. The Marines lowered their swords.

Together with Rhea they pulled small books from their pockets to symbolically hand over their codes.

"As Head of Security, I surrender my Security code book, passwords and logs." She handed the book to Admiral Tacher, saluted and stepped aside.

Liam took her place. "As First Officer I surrender my code books, passwords and logs." He also handed his book to Admiral Tacher, saluted and stepped aside.

Kacey walked up to General Millhouse. "As Commander of the Marine force on Andromeda, I hereby surrender my code books, passwords and logs." She saluted the General and stepped aside.

Kate moved into position in front of Admiral Tacher. "As Captain of Andromeda, I hereby surrender my code books, passwords and logs. After four years of exploration, the crew of the Andromeda stands down." She saluted and stepped back between Kacey, Liam and Rhea. They saluted again.

"On behalf of the President, the Joint Chiefs and a grateful world, welcome home Andromeda. Dismissed."
Applause filled the area as the officers made their way to the reception area.

The lawn between the administration buildings was set up with tables and chairs for those attending the coming home festivities. Long buffet tables lined the perimeter with food and drinks. As soon as Kacey was dismissed, she went looking for Natalia and their children. With Liam by her side and Kate and Anya behind them, they searched through the sea of faces.

Families and invited guest mingled on the lawn. Cries of happiness filled the air loud enough to hurt the ears, as crew members were reunited with family they had left behind. Flashes went off as pictures were taken of the triumphant return of the crew. Large screens showed the picture of Andromeda in the background with pictures of the crew, their names and ranks of all those who traveled on her.

Liam touched Kacey's arm and pointed to where Patricia, Natalia and the children waited for them. They changed direction and headed towards the rest of the family. Many times they were stopped as people came up to shake their hands or had their pictures taken with them. Each time strangers stopped them, Kacey moved closer to Kate. After several times Kate turned and gave her a quizzical look.

"My orders have not been rescinded." Kacey stated.

"Are you kidding me?" Kate asked. Your orders stated that they would be in force until we returned home. As far as I am concerned, that means those orders have been rescinded."

"Not officially, Kate, but do not worry, it will be taken care of."

An aide rushed up to them and saluted. "Colonel O'Malley?"

"Yes Major what can I do for you?"

"General Millhouse's apologies Ma'am, he was supposed to hand this to you when you surrendered your codes, but in the excitement forgot."

"Thank you Major." He saluted again and left. Kacey opened the envelope and read the single page.. She smiled and handed the paper to Kate. "After four years of watching you backside, Kate you are now a free woman and on your own. My orders have been rescinded and I will no longer be responsible for keeping your ass safe."

"Kate appreciates everything you did to protect her and will eventually thank you for your vigilance. Right Kate?"

"Kacey thank you. Now let's go get a drink and celebrate."

They finally maneuvered through the crowds and sat around the table where there were drinks waiting for them. Kate lifted her glass.

"To being home safe and whole."

"With no one up your ass." Kacey added. "Kate is now a free woman. My orders to protect her have been rescinded."

"I will drink to that." Kate stated and clinked glasses with Kacey.

"Will be head home today?" Natalia asked.

"Probably not, but we can stay at one of the hotels or back on board Andromeda for the night. Tomorrow we can move everything off ship." Kate stated.

"The cribs for the children are still on board so we will probably stay there tonight." Kacey replied.

"We will do the same" Anya added

"What about you and mom?" Kacey asked Liam.

"We will be going to the hotel. Ye know they can probably furnish a crib or two for the little ones."

"That is a possibility. What do you think Natalia? Do you want to spend one last night on Andromeda or go to a hotel?"

"I think I would like to spend one last night on board with you."

"Then that is what we will do. Mom would you keep my violin with you?"

"Of course dear. We will keep it safe for you."

"Thank you. I do not want it to get damaged when I am taking everything from our quarters tomorrow."

More people came to congratulate them as the day wore on. Kacey caught sight of one of the waiters as he pointed out their table. The man walked over to them.

"Colonel O'Malley, I am Trevor Stone and I represent Fine Arts Recording. We have heard the music that you have composed and would like to sign you to a recording contract." Kacey stood up and shook his hand.

"Excuse me?" Kacey stated dumb founded.

"Your music was sent back to Earth and radio stations have been bombarded with requests for copies of Natalia's Smile" He stated. "I assume that this beautiful woman is the one behind the composition."

"You assume correctly. Mr. Stone this is my beautiful wife, Natalia O'Malley." Natalia stood and shook his hand. "May I also present the rest of my family. Our parents Commander and Mrs. Liam O'Malley, my sister and her wife, Captain and Commander Jensen. Their children and ours." Kacey finished the introductions. "Mr. Stone we have only been back on Earth for a few hours."

"I realize that Colonel. All I am asking is that you read over the contracts. I am confident you will be receiving many more offers in the near future." He handed her a disc. " Listen to what we have done with your composition."

"All right, but I will make no guarantees that I will sign this contract."

"My people understand that Colonel. I am sorry to have interrupted your celebration." He shook Kacey's hand again and walked away. Kacey tossed the contract and disc on the table.

"What total bullshit. I am not now nor have I ever been interested in a recording contract. How the Hell did they get a copy of my songs?"

Liam picked up the contract and read it. "It was played at your wedding and that was beamed back to Earth? Lass, I am no lawyer, but the numbers listed here are a great deal of credits."

"Dad I do not want to sound snobbish, but I really do not need the credits. But I will listen to the disc and try to let them down easy."
.

To be continued...

 

Author's Page

Return to the Academy