The Voyage Home

by Psyche_B

he adventures of the Star Traveler Andromeda that started in Among the Stars, Beyond the Farthest Planet, and So Far From Home, continues in the final chapter The Voyage Home.

Go To Part 1


                                      CHAPTER 9 A


    "Captain on the Bridge."  Rhea called out as Kate stepped off the lift.  The crew snapped to attention.

    "Thank you Rhea.  As you were."  Kate responded and sat in her chair.

    Liam and Kacey stood and waited for Kate to sit.  Liam sat while Kacey stood at attention.  "Permission to begin the operation, Captain."

    "Permission granted Colonel.  Good luck.  Be careful out there."  She added.

    "Will do."

    Kacey left the bridge after throwing a quick wink at Natalia.

    "All stop Lieutenant."

    "Yes ma'am."  The large ship slowed and came to a complete stop.

    "Bridge to Engineering."

    "Go ahead Bridge."

    "Stop all engines.

    "Roger Captain."

    The large engines fell silent.

    "Close all blast shields."

    "Shields are closing, Captain."

    Kacey entered her shuttle to find her crew waiting for her.  "Has everything we will need been brought aboard?"

    "Yes ma'am.  We have food, water, coffee for two days in the event we need it."

    "Got to have the coffee to make this whole thing bearable."  Kacey sat in the pilot's seat and strapped in.  She did her preflight check.  The ramp closed and she started the shuttle.  "Close air lock doors."  She ordered.  She heard the video camera turn on as she taxied into position.  The rest of the shuttles and stingers assigned to the squad lined up behind her.  "All craft do radio check."  While the ships counted off she turned to the Marines with her.  "Ladies and gentlemen you have the privilege of flying with a person who has an overprotective family."  They laughed.  "Remember that the person sitting in the pilot's seat always has the camera on them.  Do not do anything to embarrass yourselves because the entire Bridge will be watching."  She heard the laughter of the Bridge crew in her earphones.  "Lower atmosphere."  The hiss of the air being removed could be heard.  The green light came on.  "Open launch doors."  The large doors opened.  Kacey looked directly at the camera and saluted Kate before she released the brake and shot out of the Hanger.  She moved into position directly in front of Andromeda.  The shuttles lined up on both sides of her shuttle.  The stingers surrounded Andromeda.  "Activate tractor beams."  Bright green beams shot out of the back of the shuttles and latched onto Andromeda's bow.  "Once we start, we will make a nice easy turn to heading four one one three point seven.  Start out nice and slow.  Ready?"

  "A chorus of "yes ma'ams, and affirmative Colonel returned to her.

  "Begin."  She ordered.  "Impulse only."  She clamped her good luck charm between her teeth.

  The large ship started to move.  The shuttles easily pulled Andromeda.  They stayed at impulse for several minutes then Kacey ordered, "Increase to Warp one and begin the turn."  The turn was gentle.  "Shamrock to Andromeda."

  "Go ahead Kacey."

  "Are you picking up any propulsion signatures?"

  Kate looked at Rhea.  "Not at all."  Rhea responded.  They heard Kacey's sigh of relief.

  "It will take us about five minutes to get through the turn then we will pick up speed."

  "Roger Kacey."

    "Let me know if you fell any turbulence."

    "So far the ride is nice and smooth."  Kate told her.  "Keep an open com link to her."

    "She might just pull this off, Katie."  Liam stated.

    "Was there ever any doubt dad."

    "I hate to be admitting it, but I did."

  They watched the shuttle lead Andromeda through the turn.  With little to do the Bridge crew relaxed.

    "Are those masses still on our sensors?"

    "Barely, but yes.  They just made the ten degree adjustment we made days ago."

    "Andromeda, we are now through the turn and we are on heading four one one three point seven.  All ships prepare to increase speed to warp two.  Increase to warp two." 

    They felt a small bump as the speed increased.  "Kacey we just felt a bump back here."

    "I expected that.  You should feel a bump each time we increase our speed.  How is the ride otherwise?"

    "Still nice and smooth."

    "Good we will hold this speed for five minutes than increase again."

    "All right Kacey."

    The stars around them slowly started to picked up speed in the view screen as they watched the shuttles directly in front of them.

    "Preparing to increase to warp three."  Kacey  announced.  "Increase speed to warp three."  She ordered.

    They felt the small jolt again.  The lift opened and Bella stepped off.  She took the seat behind the engineering console.

  "Captain I have to admit when Kacey mentioned this crazy idea, I had my doubts, but it looks like she may just pull this off."  Bella stated.

  "I had a couple minutes of doubt myself this morning, but now it is just wait and see."  Kate stated.  She heard Anya's laughter behind her.

  "Preparing to increase to Warp four."  Kacey informed them.  "Increase to warp four."

    There was another small jolt with a corresponding increase in the speed of the stars as they passed by.  "Are we picking up any of their propulsion signatures?"  Kate asked.

    "Not a thing.  If we could not see them it would be easy to believe they were not there."

    "Is the ride still smooth back there?"  Kacey asked.

    "Still very smooth, Kacey."  Kate answered.

    "Preparing to increase to warp five."  Kacey reported.  Increase speed."

    Another small jolt was felt.  The stars passed faster in the view screen.  They held that speed for a few minutes.

  "Last time Kate.  We are preparing to increase to warp six."  Kacey informed them.  "Increase to warp six."

  They felt a larger jolt that continued shaking the big ship.  "Kacey we are being shaken around back here."

    "We can feel it also.  Back off to warp five."  Kacey ordered.  The shaking stopped.  "Sorry Kate, it looks like warp five is the best we can do."

    "That is all right, Kacey."  Kate responded.  "If we can maintain warp five, how far will we get in twenty four hours?"

    Anya put figures into the computer.  "Fifteen million kilometers."

    "That will give us some breathing room."

    "Thirty million will be even better, Kate."

    "We can decided that later."  Kate responded.

    "I understand."  The next few hours passed quietly without any problems. "We are coming up on the four hour mark.  Transferring control to the co-pilots yoke while I take a break.  Who has the third rotation?"  Kacey asked, as she released her harness and stood up.  Her replacement took the pilot's chair.  "Hold our speed at warp five.  Be careful what you say, the comm link is open."  The Marines laughed again.



  "Sargent Sanchez is now flying from the co-pilot's chair.  Sargent Rice has taken over the pilot's chair.  He clamped a smoke stick in his teeth.

    They could hear Kacey as she moved to the back of the shuttle.  "Who is hiding the coffee?  Give it up and no one will get hurt."  The Bridge crew laughed.

    "She has her priorities."  Liam stated.  "Speaking of which, why not take a break yourself Katie.  Go get yourself a coffee."

    "Liam is right.  Get off the Bridge for a short time.  We will keep an eye on things."  Anya stated.

    "All right.  I will be in my Ready Room.  Commander you have the Bridge."  Kate said and walked off the Bridge.  Liam turned and looked at Anya who nodded and followed Kate.

 

                                          CHAPTER 9 B


    Anya rang the door chime.
     "Come in Anya."  The door opened.  Kate stood at the replicator.  "Coffee black, tea hot."  Kate pulled honey from the cabinet behind her desk and added a generous amount to Anya's tea before she handed it to her.  They walked to the window.
    "Something on your mind Kate?"
    "No, not so much on my mind as out of my hands."
    "You do not like things being out of your control."
   "That is very true.  I know why we have to do this, but, oh, I don't know."  She sipped her coffee.  "So much is depending on her pulling this off."
    "That is correct, Kate.  Andromeda could not survive in a battle with one of those masses let alone a whole armada.  You have to think of the crew and civilians on board.  You made the right decision in going along with Kacy's plan."
    Anya took the cup from Kate's hand and placed it on the sill next to her tea.  She held Kate close.  Kate leaned into the quiet strength of her wife.  "Will fifteen million kilometers be enough?  With each passing hour they are gaining on us especially if they are travelling at their top speed. Should we keep them out there for two days?"
    "That is not a decision you have to make right now Kate.  Take a few minutes and just clear your mind."  Kate laid her head on Anya's chest and took several deep breaths.  She did manage to quiet her mind.  Anya felt the tension fade away.  "That is my Kate."
    Kate pushed away as the Captain was once again in control.  "Thank you my darling."
    "It is always my pleasure, Kate.  Now finish your coffee and return to the Bridge.  Someone has to keep Kacey out of trouble."
    Kate laughed  and picked up her coffee.  They stood together at the window, unable to see anything because of the blast shield.  "I miss being able to see the stars."  They finished their drinks and returned to the Bridge.  "At our present speed how far have we travelled in the last four hours?"
    "Just under four million kilometers.  The next four hours should see a rise in that number because we will be at a steady speed."  Rhea reported.
    "If for some quirk of fate and this does not work..."  She stopped.  "Forget that this will work."  Kate stated.     "That's the ticket, Katie.  Trust your sister.  She will do everything within her power to make this work."
    "I know dad.  I had a few minutes where I lost confidence, but it is back now."
    "Shamrock to Andromeda."  The unfamiliar voice hailed.
    "Go ahead Shamrock."
    "Colonel O'Malley would like to know if there will be any course changes?"
    "Not for another seven and a quarter hours."  Anya replied.  "At that time you will need to adjust your heading to three nine seven seven point six two."
    "Roger Andromeda.  Programming coordinates for three nine seven seven point six two in seven and one quarter hours."
    "Is the ride still smooth back there?" Kacey's voice came over.
    "Very smooth Kacey."
    "We will try to keep it that way."

  ---------------------------------
    During the remainder of the day and over night, Kate refused to go any further than her Ready Room.  She slept on the couch in order to be close by if she was needed.  Anya brought her a breakfast tray as she was cleaning up in the bathroom behind her desk.
    "Were you able to sleep?"
    "I did for a few hours.  Thank you for bringing breakfast."
    "How much sleep do you think Kacey was able to get last night?"
    "I imagine she managed a few hours.  She knows what is riding on her and her troops.  She knows that she needs to be at the top of her game.  She will not let her people go without sleep.  She will not either."  Kate stated.  "At least I hope she did."
     "Eat your breakfast."  Anya ordered.
     "Yes ma'am."  Kate saluted then kissed Anya before she sat behind the desk to eat.  Anya folded the blanket and put it with the pillow in the closet.  When she finished she sat down in front of the desk and picked up her tea.  She drank her tea while Kate ate her breakfast.  They enjoyed the calm before the storm.
   ------------------------
    "Captain Jensen to the Bridge."
    "On my way."  Kate responded.  They left the Ready Room.  "Report."
    "Sensors have picked up a level three ion storm headed towards us and will intersect with our trajectory."  Rhea reported.
    "What is the time until it hits?"
    "Two hours Captain."
    "Can we out run it?"
    "Not being towed.  However this could work in our favor."
    "How so?"
    "If it remains on it's current path, it could wipe out our old propulsion trail."
    "Could we be that lucky?"  Kate asked.  "Shamrock did you hear that?"
    "We did Kate.  What would you like us to do?"
    "Break off the tractor beams and get your ships inside.  We are going to try to out run it."
    "Give us twenty minutes."  Kacey stated.  "All ships break off tractor beams and head for the Hanger.  All stingers begin landing immediately.  I will let you know when we are on board."
    "Bridge to Engineering."
    "Engineering, go ahead Bridge."
    "Bella prepare to start engines.  There is an ion storm approaching and we are going to try to get out of it's way.  As soon as the flyers are on board, we will bug out."
    "Understand Captain.  We will be ready."
    They watched the tractor beams release and felt the engine rumble to life.
    "Rich as soon as we get the all clear for Colonel O'Malley, go to warp seven."
    "Yes ma'am."
    They watched the shuttles move away from the bow of the ship and head to the Hanger.  As usual, Kacey waited until all her pilots had landed before she herself brought her shuttle in.
    "If we switch our course to three eight one seven point two two, we will be able to avoid the storm."  Anya reported.  I have already sent the course to the helm."
    "Course locked in, Captain."
    "That change will take us completely in the clear?"  Kate asked.
    "As long as the storm stays on it's current trajectory, yes."  Anya responded.
    "Shamrock to  Bridge."
    "Go ahead Kacey."
    "All ships have landed."
    "Raise shields over the Hanger.  Kacey report to the Bridge as soon as you can."
    "Roger Kate."
    "Rich get us out of here."
    Andromeda started to move and soon the stars were a blur in the view screen.

 

To be continued...

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page