Chapter 3

The whole crew was in a frenzy as they approached the port city. Shariana stood on the deck with her ladies in waiting Siri Haris and Rika Damori, staring towards the land which would become her home for the rest of her life. According to her father this has been her home since birth. He was a Markhalan man and he insisted she was too, by birth. It didn't matter to him that she never set foot in Markhala. Before today, that is. She thought as the crew finished tying the ship in the harbor.

"Are you excited, Princess? " Siri said softly, breaking Shariana's thought process. Was she excited? To some extent, yes. All the stories her father told her about his homeland make her wish to explore this foreign land. Green fields as far as, eye could see, a land where winter is no colder than summer back in Vedar. Even the prospect of seeing those dreadful burning mountains excited her somewhat.
But then there were some things she dreaded too. Mother had told her of mountainous beasts with fire for breath, the monsters these Markhalans worshipped as gods. And she was terrified of what is to come. What if her betrothed doesn't like her. What if her marriage turned out to be as horrible as her parent's. That was her worst nightmare.

"I don't know, Siri." She replied to her lady in waiting, "I am as excited as I can be not knowing what lay ahead of me."  Siri frowned a little at that but held her tongue as Varna approached.

"Your highness " Varna said, "A Captain Ris from Markhalan Elites is requesting boarding on the ship. I believe she is with your welcoming envoy. "

"Markhalan Elites? That's Heir's own battalion right? "

"Yes, your highness. Her best one, I hear. " Varna replied though Shariana could detect a hint of skepticism in her features.

"Then I must welcome the good Captain myself. Show him in, Lieutenant."

"As you command, your highness but it's a her." Varna said, bowing. Shariana blushed at her mistake and waved her away, trying to regain her composure before the imperial envoy arrived.

*****

Nirisa boarded the ship with Drile and Kevin in tow, a very stern looking Vedar soldier leading them. She didn't know Vedari let their daughters train as soldiers. As far as she heard they were a very rigid society, firm in their beliefs. That is why it had been so hard to subdue them. Lord Dother, now King of Vedar, had to suffer numerous rebellions before he was accepted. If killing every distant relative of Vedar's Royal family and marrying the last one could be counted as acceptable.  She thought derisively, Though, that's war for you. You do what you have to do.

The Vedari Lieutenant led them to the deck instead of one of the cabins. Nirisa saw two Vedari women standing side by side on the deck and bowed before most regal looking of them. Damn, Nahel was right. She is beautiful.

"Your highness, on the behalf of the empire I welcome you on the shores of Markhala. If I might be so bold to say that our minstrels fail to truly describe your beauty. "

Drile coughed behind her which suspiciously sounded like an attempt to hide his laughter. She sent a glare toward him but turned back when she heard full on laughter from the woman she just addressed. Nirisa was very confused and a little hurt at the reaction to what she thought was a perfectly charming line.

"Tell me Captain, are your minstrels so incompetent that they didn't even tell of my skin color or were you just lying through your teeth trying to flatter me?" Came a melodious voice from a bit far away. Nirisa glanced towards the voice to find a woman darker than an average Vedari yet fairer than Markhalan dark tan. Nirisa was speechless staring at her as if she forgot how to form. Words. The Vedari princess was sitting on a chair bolted to the deck, wearing a traditional Vedari gown with all its layers and side buttons. Half of her strawberry blonde hair falling around her shoulders while half held up by fancy looking pins. Nirisa swallowed when she remembered her faux pass, suddenly feeling embarrassment creeping up on her.

"I uh forgive me your uh highness." She stammered finally, "I didn't uhm you're beautiful too." Princess's companions laughed again making Nirisa blush even more.

"Oh princess, you're not so bad yourself. You just don't merit the praise like lady Rika do." Siri said between the guffaws of laughter. Even Drile and Kevin were trying to muffle their laughter with coughs. Only one not laughing was the Vedari soldier. Nirisa's heart sent a thank you towards the tall women. She and the princess who just sat there with a knowing smile on her lips.

"Enough teasing, Siri. We don't want our envoy to abandon us in the Vomazhu now, do we?" She said finally  "Don't mind them Captain Ris. They just like to pick on soldiers. Ask Varna here if you don't believe me. Poor woman suffers their teasing all day."

Gaining her composure as best as she could, Nirisa bowed before her betrothed.
"Forgive me for my mistake, your highness. If I had known Vedar contains so much beauty I would have researched more." She said, gaining her stride once more. "Though I believe I would have not made such a mistake if I had seen you before Lady Rika. My nervous stammer was less to do with the teasing I received than your stunning presence, Princess."

Vedari let out a soft chuckle. "Tell me Captain, are all the soldiers in your country such charmers? "

"I like to believe I am unique, your highness, though, same can be said for every member of my battalion. Our general has an affinity for misfits." Drile snorted at this without  even trying to cover it up.

"Then, next few weeks of travel should be much more interesting. You are our escort to the capital city, right? "

"We are, Princess. General regrets that she herself is not present to greet you.  She and Captain Drile had to leave on an urgent business leaving me in the charge of escort." She said presenting a rolled parchment to the Princess, sealed by herself.
*****

Your Royal Highness,
       I am deeply sorry for this breach in etiquettes but some subjects of the empire are terrorized by mysterious bands of thugs. So far they have eluded our regional forces. Hence I must take care of the issue before my personal duties.
    I have left Captain Ris in charge of your escort in my absence. She is a good soldier and I guarantee you'll be safe with her platoon.
   I advise you to not accept hospitality from nobles for your own piece of mind. Your official introduction to the court will be held in the capital after your arrival. Father will probably maim me for already botching up the protocol. If I let you get surrounded by those vultures during your journey I may not live to attend our first meeting.
   I hope to join your envoy before you reach the city. I look forward to meeting the person I have heard so much about. If half of the things my father says about you are true then I am honored for your presence on Markhalan land and even more humbled for the reason for said presence.

Your betrothed
-Nirisa Holker

No one told Shariana that the imperial heir can be sweet. She finished the note with a soft smile on her lips and looked up to see now confident Captain Ris.

"I am glad to accept your protection and guidance, Captain." She said with a smile.

"May I be bold enough to ask if you like to see Vomazhu a little before starting our journey, Princess?" Ris said with a smirk surprising Shariana.

"It will be a pleasure, Captain." She replied smoothly.

"Then we should not waste any more time. Vomazhu is best enjoyed during sunset." She said bowing and extending a hand toward Shariana. It seemed a little inappropriate but not certain in Markhalan proprieties Shariana took the offered hand.

To be continued…

Back to the Academy