A FRIEND IN NEED:REIMAGINED

by TrueT159

INTRO:
The following story is my attempt to fix the horrible ending to Xena Warrior Princess that was "A FRIEND IN NEED". I'm aware that it's certainly been done before and I'm sure my version won't be the last. But I thought it would be fun to do my own version of how I think things should have gone. Some of the dialog and scenes have been taken directly from the show. While other things have been changed. Besides the crap ending obviously. I feel like that's not really a spoiler saying that a head of time. Otherwise why would I even be writing this since it's the ending that's the problem. Anyway I hope you enjoy my rewrite of the series finale of Xena Warrior Princess, "A FRIEND IN NEED: REIMAGINED"
______________________________________________________________________

The dark sky twinkled with the countless number of tiny lights from the stars that hung above the earth. A calm and gentle breeze blew as the crickets chirped their nightly lullaby to the sleeping creatures around. Or mostly sleeping. As two souls layed awake, staring up into the vastness of the sky above.

GABRIELLE 
Looking out at the cosmos really makes you think. About where we are, where we ve been,.where we re going now.

XENA 
Yeah, and like the bigger now.,

Xena got up on her forearms and looked down at Gabrielle and smiled as she layed beside her on the blanket. 

XENA 
 I mean, come on what are we gonna do? Wander around Greece our whole lives looking for trouble? 

Gabrielle laughed a little.

GABRIELLE 
More like trouble comes looking for us.

Xena rolled to her side.

XENA 
I'm serious Gabrielle. Why don t we go away? Far away? Whaddya say?”

GABRIELLE 
I can t believe you re still awake, much less listening to me. Why, what did you have in mind.

Gabrielle turned to her side to face Xena. Xena smiled at her as she got an idea.

XENA 
Let s go south to the land of the Pharaohs. I hear they re in need of a girl with a chakram..

GABRIELLE 
(Joking) Oh so I guess I'm not needed then?

XENA 
(Joking) I mean I suppose you could help. And when all the bad guys are beat, you can regale the people there with all your stories.

Gabrielle smiled as she leaned her head on Xena's shoulder.

GABRIELLE 
You know that there s somebody out there.

XENA
Oh I know. He s been trying to find us the past half-hour.

Gabrielle sighed as xena grabbed her sword and readied herself for an attack. They both stood up as a man came out from the bushes. He looked at the two women in front of him.

?
Are either of you Xena?

Xena looked the man up and down as she determined whether or not he was a threat.

XENA 
Who's asking?

?
My name is Kenji. I'm a messenger. Sent by Akemi.

XENA 
Akemi?

Xena lowered her sword. Gabrielle was about to ask who this mystery person was when she saw a sad look in Xena's eyes as she spoke.

XENA 
You saw Akemi?

The man explained to Xena that he had been sent to find Xena after they were attacked by some demon wanting to wage a war across the land and enslave the souls of those he's conquered. Gabrielle shook her head in disgust.

GABRIELLE 
That's awful.

KENJi
That's why I'm here. Instead of being sent to get help from some samurai, priest or even a god. I instead was told to find you. Xena, the warrior princess.

XENA 
Take us to her. 

Xena and Gabrielle quickly packed up and followed Ken. Gabrielle couldn't help but wonder what was going on as the three of them walked out into the night.

GABRIELLE 
Xena what's going on?

XENA
It's yet one more terrible wrong from my past.

Daylight came as Xena and Gabrielle took passage on a ship heading for Japa. The journey took some time. During the trip Gabrielle was given a lesson in the way of the sword and the lands samurai. Xena sat quietly watching as her mind was filled with memories of the last time she had been to Japa. While Gabrielle spared with Ken she asked him just what was going on.

GABRIELLE 
This Akemi who sent for Xena, who is she?

KEN
She's a beautiful young woman who has been forced by the lord of the dark land to bring souls into his grasp.

Gabrielle stopped sparing as she looked at Ken.

GABRIELLE 
How horrible. We have to save her before this lord of the dark land decides he doesn't need her anymore and kills her.

KEN 
That's not really the problem.

GABRIELLE 
What do you mean?

KEN 
Well she already walks among the dead. Akemi is a ghost.

Gabrielle stood stunned by what she just heard.

GABRIELLE 
She's a what? 

XENA 
Gabrielle.

Gabrielle turned towards Xena who had been sitting silently for most of the trip.

XENA 
Come over here.

Gabrielle put down the practice sword she had been holding. She walked over and sat down beside Xena. As she did she once again saw a look of sadness in Xena's eyes.

GABRIELLE 
Xena please tell me what's going on?

Xena took a deep calming breath as she looked at Gabrielle.

XENA 
Gabrielle, before we get to Japa, I should tell you everything that happened the last time I was there.

×××

Xena and Gabrielle sat on the ship that was sailing for Japa. As Xena looked out at the ocean she recalled the events that had taken place on her previous trip so long ago.

GABRIELLE 
So what happened?

XENA 
A long time ago Borias told me about a young girl who was kidnapped by a warlord from chin. She d been taken hostage from a mighty island that was even further east than Ch in. And being the person I was back then, the challenge and excitement of a new land to plunder was too much for me. So naturally I had to find her. And once I did, well let's just say I got far more than what I was expecting 

----- FLASH BACK -----

XENA 
So her daddy's rich huh?

The younger Xena walked up beside Borias, as she imagined all the possible riches she stood to obtain from this. Borias smirked at Xena.

BORIAS 
Don't forget powerful. He should pay well for the safe return of his daughter.

Xena and Borias stood as a young woman was brought out to them.

YOUNG MAN 
Come. Akemi meet...

The girl looked at Xena and smiled.

AKEMI 
Xena, the warrior princess.

Xena was a little surprised when the girl knew her name.

XENA 
You know who I am?

AKEMI 
I do. And I've heard that you're not afraid of anything.

Xena smirked 

XENA 
True.

AKEMI 
Unlike Kao here, he's afraid of many things.

The man beside her was not amused by Akemi's comment. Meanwhile Xena smirked as Borias chuckled.

BORIAS 
I like her. This girl has spirit.

KAO
This girl deserves to die.

Kao glared at the girl.

KAO 
How dare you speak that way in front of my guests.

AKEMI 
You won't kill me.

Akemi looked at Xena.

AKEMI 
Xena won't let you.

Xena raised her eyebrow at the strange comment.

AKEMI 
Because she will soon grow to love me.

Borias found that fairly amusing.

BORIAS 
Ha, Xena loves no one. Foolish girl.

Undeterred by Borias' input, Akemi continued to speak as she looked right into Xena's eyes. As if she could see into her very soul.

AKEMI 
I'll become your student, Xena. You'll take me with you and teach me everything you know. 

By this time Kao had heard enough. He angerly turned towards Akemi.

KAO 
I have a lesson for you!

The man raised his hand to strike Akemi. But he suddenly felt Xena put a small pouch in his other hand.

XENA 
50 gold for the girl. Trust me you won't get a better offer.

Kao looked at the pouch.

KAO 
Today's not a good day to trade.

XENA 
Is it a good day to die?

Hearing the tone of Xena's voice, Borias warned Kao that it was in his best interest to give Xena what she wanted. Unintimidated,, Kao still refused Xena's offer and called for his guards. A fight broke out that ended with Xena grabbing Kao from behind and putting her pinch on him. The man began to struggle.

XENA 
Now I've cut off the flow of blood to your brain. You've got seconds to live. 10, 9, 8, 7, eh screw it.

Xena left Kao to die as she walked away. Borias looked down at the man.

BORIAS 
I would've just taken the gold.

Borias shrugged as he to walked away. And moments later Kao was dead. A couple days later Xena stood aboard her ship looking out a the shoreline. Borias walked up beside her.

XENA 
You know Borias? I have a dream.

BORIAS 
And what might that be?

XENA 
I want to conquer every land between here and Brittania.

BORIAS 
Ah, Xena ever so ambitious. Always looking for new lands to pillage.

XENA 
Exactly. And I've been thinking about this whole ransom thing. Maybe we could form an alliance with this girls father. Could get us a nice foothold on that island.

BORIAS 
What makes you think she'll lead you to daddy?

XENA 
Oh she will. After all I know she wouldn't want to disappoint her teacher.

Borias laughed. 

BORIAS 
Xena, you couldn't teach a dog to bark.

Xena scowled. But determined to prove her point, she called over Akemi.

AKEMI 
You're wrong, Xena will make a great teacher.

The girl clearly over heard Xena and Borias' conversation. Xena snickered as she glanced at Borias. And so Xena began showing Akemi some fighting techniques. Time passed and Xena continued to train her.

XENA 
Come on Akemi, keep up.

The girl winced a little.

AKEMI 
(Sighs) My ribs are still a little sore.

Realizing she may have pushed Akemi a bit too hard, Xena sighed.

XENA 
Okay next time we'll do something a bit more simple.

Xena thought for a moment about what else she could show the girl. Then got an idea.

XENA 
Listening.

AKEMI 
Listening?

Xena closed her eyes.

XENA 
Yeah. You see every sound, every moment is a message. You could hear a wagon crossing a creek up a head, the deer as they graze nearby.

AKEMI 
Listening to the Kami like that must be peaceful.

Xena opened her eyes and gave Akemi a questioning look.

XENA 
What's "the kami"?

AKEMI 
The Kami are the powers that make the sun rise, the grass grow. The kami are the very essence of nature itself. And they're what brought you to me.

XENA 
No, no it's not like that. What I'm doing is Listening for the signs of the enemy. Out on the battlefield every sound is a warning. The possibility of the enemy nearby. As your waiting for the right time to strike 

Akemi smiled at Xena.

AKEMI 
I know one day the Kami will help you find peace Xena. Here I want you to have this.

She handed Xena a scroll that had writing on it that Xena couldn't understand. Xena looked at it.

XENA 
Oh, uh this is um very pretty.

Akemi explained to Xena that when her people were overcome by emotion they would write script in verse. After Xena asked what emotion Akemi was feeling, the girl smiled at her and said one word.

AKEMI 
Love.

XENA 
Love?

AKEMI 
Yes. Yesterday the moon took lodging on my sleeve. And today I have hope for even the brokenhearted stars.

XENA 
Huh.

Xena watched as Akemi looked out at the night sky,. Xena had become very intrigued by this young woman. She had begun to realize that Akemi had been right. She had grown to love her.

----- PRESENT -----

Gabrielle listened to Xena's story.

GABRIELLE 
Wow that's so beautiful. To do something like that, she must've loved you very much.

Gabrielle watched Xena's eyes lower in sadness.

GABRIELLE 
What's wrong?

XENA 
The truth is Gabrielle, she broke my heart.

×××
Gabrielle looked at Xena unsure of what she meant by her last statement.

GABRIELLE 
She broke your heart? How? I don't understand.

Xena sighed.

XENA 
For the longest time I didn't understand it myself. But I would eventually realize that it wasn't money or riches that my heart truly wanted. Deep down what I really sought was something else entirely.

Xena looked out ar the sea once again as she continued her story.

-----FLASH BACK------

After a good amount of traveling Akemi lead Xena and Borias to her grandfather's house. Xena looked at Akemi. 

XENA 
(Annoyed tone) What gives I thought you were leading me to your father.

AKEMI 
He lives to the north. We came here to pay respects to my grandfather. He died many years ago.

Akemi went over to a statue and began a silent prayer. This angered Xena. She marched over and stood behind Akemi.

XENA
(Angry tone) Are you telling me that we've walked for days in the wrong direction just to see a dead guy?!

AKEMI 
He might be dead but we still must seek his blessing. I can still speak with him.

Xena didn't believe that for one second. She was insulted that this girl would even attempt such a ridiculous lie.

XENA 
This whole time you've been playing me for a fool. 

Xena drew her sword ready to cut Akemi down.

XENA 
(Cold tone) Give me one reason why I shouldn't just kill you right now.

Dispite Xena's threat, Akemi didn't flinch. Instead she just moved her hair off to the side revealing the back of her neck. Almost as if she knew that Xena wasn't actually going to do anything.

AKEMI
You say that you hear the Kami through the sounds of nature. In the same way, I hear sounds that you cannot.

After a few moments Akemi finished her prayer. Then she smiled as she stood up and faced Xena.

AKEMI 
My grandfather approves of you being my teacher. But he doesn't think you're sword is good enough.

XENA 
There's a string of widows from here to Greece that would say different.

AKEMI
Compared to a katana, your sword is merely a toy.

XENA 
Then where can I find me one of those?

AKEMI 
It's near but you must know in our land women are forbidden to own the katana.

XENA 
Well it's a good thing I don't follow anyone else's rules but my own. Now are you gonna show me where to get one or do I have to leave you here and find one myself?

Akemi just quietly walked past Xena and started down the road. Xena turned and followed. Akemi lead Xena to a blacksmith. The girl entered the hut and requested a katana.

MASTER SWORDSMAN 
Your master must be a mighty samurai.

Xena walked I the hut behind Akemi. And stood there with her hands on her hips and a cocky smile on her face.

XENA
Oh, no. I'm just a girl in search of a really good sword.

The master swordsman was not amused. Infact he was quite insulted that some foreign woman had the audacity to even ask for the sacred Katana. He picked up a sword. In turn Xena drew her sword as she prepared to fight. Xena swung her sword at the blacksmith. The man swung his weapon as well. But instead of the swords clashing Xena's blade simply snapped. Seeing the power of the Katana in action only made Xena want it more.

XENA 
Ooo, gimme, gimme.

Soon an all out fight broke out between Xena and all of the blacksmiths. Out numbered and unarmed Xena fought. She found herself surrounded. Quickly scanning the room Xena let out her battle cry as she lept into the air, flipping backwards she landed on a table behind the men. Xena glanced down and smirked. As the blacksmiths charged at her, Xena used her foot to kick one of the katana into the air and caught it. As the blacksmiths swung, Xena quickly jumped back over them to the floor. She admired the blade as turned around doing a couple of practice swings. Her face beamed with a devilish smile.

XENA 
Now this is a sword.

With her new weapon in hand Xena made short work of the blacksmiths. Killing all of them before she and Akemi left. As night fell Xena and Akemi set up camp. Xena looked at her new sword. Wondering why Akemi lead her to the blacksmith to get it.

XENA
Listen, Akemi I don't want you to get the wrong idea. I really love the sword and you're a nice kid and all, but you know I just came for the ransom?

AKEMI
I don't believe that's true at all.

Xena looked away from her.

AKEMI
What do you hear now?

XENA 
What?

AKEMI 
Right now what do you hear?

Xena humored her as she closed her eyes and listened.

XENA
The wind blowing. The campfire crackling.Snow falling on the tree's. And, your heart, beating harder than normal.

Xena looked at Akemi.

AKEMI
You're a master of war, yet you know no words to speak of love. But then you go and save my life. There's no greater gift of love a teacher can give a student than that. I have another gift I must ask of you. I saw what you did to kill that coward, Kao. Will you teach me?

XENA
I don't know. It's a sacred technique that was entrusted to me by someone who was very important to me.

AKEMI
It would be such a great honor if you'd teach me that. Please Xena, my teacher. 

Xena smiled softly.

XENA
Alright.

Akemi smiled happily.

-----PRESENT------

GABRIELLE 
You taught her the pinch?! You only knew her for a few weeks and you thought her the pinch. Xena all the time we've been together I must've asked you to teach me that a thousand times. 

Xena understood why Gabrielle was upset. But she wasn't ready to tell her what happened because of that. So she tried to change the topic of their conversation.

XENA 
Hey what's going on with you? We're on a ship and you're not sea sick.

GABRIELLE 
I've been using that wrist pressure point you showed me a while ago. But don't try and change the subject, why did you...

Before Gabrielle could finish the ships captain shouted that their destination, Higuchi was under attack. And with no place to dock, he was turning around.

Xena looked out seeing the flames running up the shore line. Consuming everything in their path.

XENA 
Gabrielle I have to get over there.

GABRIELLE 
I'm with you Xena.

Xena smiled at her.

XENA 
I knew you'd say that. Let's move.

Both Xena and Gabrielle dove into the water and swam to shore. As they climbed onto dry land a fireball flew over head and crashed into one of the buildings.

XENA 
Firebombs. 

GABRIELLE 
We have to do something fast or they're going to burn Higuchi to the ground.

×××

Xena and Gabrielle stood amidst the flames of the burning village of Higuchi. Xena looked around as tried to think of what to do to stop the blaze. As she quietly scanned their surroundings, Xena spotted the water tower that was on the opposite side of the village.

XENA 
The water tower. If we release the water from it we can stop the fire. But how do we get there from here? 

Xena looked at the wall of fire that stood between them and the tower. Gabrielle thought for a moment and got an idea.

GABRIELLE 
Acrobats.

XENA 
What? Never mind there's no time to explain. Show me.

Gabrielle ran off with Xena following. They quickly scaled up some scaffolding and Gabrielle grabbed a nearby rope.

GABRIELLE 
Grab on.

Xena took the rope. And with the two of them holding on, they jumped off the roof and swung nearly halfway across the village. Letting go in midair, Xena and Gabrielle landed on an outstretched cloth, which catapulted them up on to another rooftop.

XENA 
Okay what next?

Gabrielle quickly looked around.

GABRIELLE 
I got it.

XENA 
Lead on.

GABRIELLE 
This way.

As more explosions went off around them, Xena and Gabrielle ran. Avoiding the fire that rained down from above. With Gabrielle ahead, she quickly picked up speed and then jumped across a large gap and flew through a window landing inside of a building. She looked back, waiting for Xena to join her. But before Xena could make the jump another explosion went off, blasting Xena back and cutting off her route.

GABRIELLE 
Xena!

XENA 
I'm fine. 

Xena got back up.

XENA 
Keep going.

Gabrielle and Xena ran jumping from one to the next or their respective buildings heading towards the water tower. Each encountering and quickly taking care of any enemies that stood in their way. As Gabrielle got to the window of the last building she saw the tower only a few yards away. She looked over seeing Xena in the window of the building across from her. Then Gabrielle saw a long ladder leaning up against the side of the building she was in. She quickly eyed the ladders hight. Then reaching out to window she grabbed the ladder. And after quickly lining it up properly, Gabrielle lept out of the window. As she was coming down from the hight of her jump, while holding it at the top, she planted the ladder on the on the ground. While keeping a firm grip, Gabrielle got her feet on one of the rungs as her momentum sent the ladder tipping forward. She quickly began climbing up it as it fell. As she reached the top Gabrielle realized that she didn't jump far enough and the ladder wasn't going to make it to the water tower.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) Damn it!

Gabrielle stretched out her arm as far as she could. Just hoping it would be enough as she continued to fall forward. Xena watched from the other window unable to do anything.

XENA 
Gabrielle!

Gabrielle stretched out her hand as she fell. Her fingertips just managed to catch the edge of the platform on the water tower, stopping her fall. Holding on for dear life, Gabrielle pulled herself up onto the platform. She made sure to hook her foot on the ladder to keep it from falling. Once she was up, Gabrielle sent the ladder over to Xena. Then she began trying to release the water from the tower. When Xena got the ladder she did the same as Gabrielle. She made sure to get a small running start before she jumped to cover more distance so she wouldn't come up short. Seconds later Xena landed beside Gabrielle who was still trying to release the water.

XENA 
Look out.

Xena swiftly drew her sword and cut off the valve, sending the water jetting out to extinguish the flames. Xena looked down at the soldiers still attacking. 

XENA 
Now it's my turn.

She let out her battle cry as she jumped off the water tower, slid hallway down the ladder that was leaning on the lower part of the tower and jumped off, flipping through the air and landed on the ground in front of a group of soldiers.

XENA 
So are you guys gonna leave willingly or do I have to rough ya up first?

SOLDIER 
Get her!

Xena fought against the soldiers as Gabrielle tried to figure out how she was going to get down from the tower. She looked around and saw a cart full of hay that the fire hadn't reached. She ran along the ledge and jumped towards the cart, landing in the soft hay. As she climbed out, Gabrielle drew her sais and ran back towards where Xena was fighting. As she got closer Gabrielle heard one of them yell to retreat. Clearly realizing that the battle had been lost, the soldiers flead. Gabrielle slowed to a jog and stopped as she stood beside Xena.

GABRIELLE 
(Joking) You couldn't save me any?

XENA 
(Joking) Hey it's not my fault they ran.

Gabrielle looked at her.

XENA 
Okay it's not completely my fault.

The villagers cheared as Xena and Gabrielle walked through the village. The smoke began to clear as the last lingering cinders went out. Xena put her arm over Gabrielle's shoulders as they walked along.

XENA 
Nice work. Maybe a bit flashier then I would've done but it worked.

GABRIELLE 
Really Xena? That was flashy? Compared to the stuff I've watched you do over the years, that was tame.

Xena laughed.

XENA 
Guess you got a point there.

Xena and Gabrielle made their way towards the village entrance. Gabrielle thought about what Xena had told her before they had reached Higuchi.

GABRIELLE 
Hey Xena I just thought of something.

XENA 
Hmm?

GABRIELLE 
You said you taught Akemi how to use the pinch.

XENA 
Gabrielle I know you're upset about...

GABRIELLE 
No it's not that. I was just wondering if she ever used it.

Gabrielle heard Xena's voice change to a more somber tone.

XENA 
Yes. Unfortunately she did.

Part 2

Author's Page

Email- tgirl159tgirl159@gmail.com 

Back to the Academy