Pt.3

It was a couple weeks after Aurora's right of caste ceremony and celebration as Gabrielle smiled down at the baby contently laying in her basket by Gabrielle's feet as she sat writing. She reached down and tickled Aurora's belly, getting a giggle from the baby in return. Gabrielle couldn't help but giggle a little herself hearing the sound of her child's laughter. Then she sighed contently as she returned to writing, thinking about just how happy she was to now actually have a family with Xena. Smiling again as she thought of the woman that she loved so very much. Who happened to be out leading a sparing session. Of which Xena had recently returned to doing after being unable to do for quite some time to being pregnant and recovering afterwards. Not to mention the fact that taking care of a new baby took quite a bit of time. So once she was finally able to make time, Xena was more than ready to get back to sparing, fighting and doing all the other things that she had missed being able to do for practically over a year. And Gabrielle was more than happy to see Xena back in her element. Which made Xena far more relaxed and less grouchy than she had been towards the later stages of her pregnancy and a little afterwards. And as everyone in the village had learned Xena's usual stoic personality was far preferred to a very uncomfortable and Irritatable Xena any day. 
So even though things had been fairly hectic since Aurora was born, Gabrielle wouldn't change anything. Gabrielle was pulled from her thoughts when she heard a knock on the front door. She briefly looked down at her paper realizing that she had stopped writing mid sentence and there was now a good sized blot of ink where the tip of her quill had been resting on the paper. She smirked as she shook her head at herself and set down her quill before standing up.

GABRIELLE 
(Joking/ talking to herself) Even when Xena's not around she's a distraction.

After picking up Aurora from her basket, Gabrielle went to the front door and opened it.

GABRIELLE 
Celine.

Celine greeted her with a friendly smile.

CELINE 
Gabrielle.

Her smile then got bigger when she saw Aurora in Gabrielle's arms.

CELINE 
(Higher pitch voice) And hello to you too my favorite wittle princess.

Gabrielle smiled at how loved her daughter was by everyone in the village. After a few moments of cooing over the baby, Celine returned her attention to Gabrielle.

CELINE 
I'm here for my writing lesson. Unless you're busy. I can always come by another time.

GABRIELLE 
Not at all. I just got done with some of my own writing. Come on in.

Gabrielle let Celine in as she shut the door. A little later the two sat on the couch with Gabrielle holding Aurora in her lap, chatting about various stories that they had either read or heard. Gabrielle was happy to finally have someone who enjoyed writing and story telling as much as she did. While she had been telling stories to the villagers for some time and would also share her tales when she and Xena would visit various taverns and inns long before coming to the village, Gabrielle rarely got the opportunity to really connect with other people who shared her enthusiasm and passion for the art of writing and story telling. So she was more than happy to have Celine around who Gabrielle thought was a already an excellent bard in her own right. But she was still very willing to give Celine any advice or pointers that the young woman asked for. Even if Gabrielle didn't think Celine needed any.

CELINE 
So where's Xena?

GABRIELLE 
She's off leading one of her sparring sessions.

CELINE 
Oh yeah I sat watching the one she had the other day. That woman can sure fight.

GABRIELLE 
(Joking tone) Well they don't call her the warrior princess for nothing.

The two chuckled as they continued to chat for a bit. As they talked Gabrielle noticed Celine look past her and towards the window.

GABRIELLE 
What?

CELINE 
You hear that?

GABRIELLE 
Hear what?

Celine didn't answer right away as she got up and went to one of the side windows as she looked outside.

CELINE 
I think I hear something outside.

Gabrielle listened for a moment.

GABRIELLE 
I hear people, but that's nothing weird.

CELINE 
No not that. What I heard sounded like something tryingtobe quiet.

GABRIELLE 
You mean like someone's sneaking around outside the house? 

CELINE 
Or some-"thing".

GABRIELLE 
In the middle of the day? That seems odd. Plus nothing should be able to get in the village without anyone noticing.

CELINE 
Most things, no. But some predatory creatures can be fairly stealthily and agile. You'd be surprised by the small spaces they can crawl through when they think they can get a meal on the other side.

Instinctively Gabrielle held Aurora a little closer as the thought of a dangerous creature roaming around the village and being anywhere near her and Xena's baby.

CELINE 
Don't worry it's probably nothing. But if you'd like I could go check it out just to be sure.

GABRIELLE 
If you want to. But you should probability get someone to go with you just to be safe.

Celine smiled.

CELINE 
I appreciate your concern Gabrielle, but I think I'll be just fine on my own. My tribe does focus on hunting after all if you'll remember. So I sincerely doubt it's anything I can't handle.

GABRIELLE 
Okay. If you're sure you'll be alright?

CELINE 
I will. Besides it's probably nothing anyway. But I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to the safety of little Aurora.

Gabrielle couldn't agree more as she thanked Celine for investigating. Telling her to come back safe. 

CELINE 
I'll be sure to tell the others to keep their eyes and ears open for anything lurking around just in case.

GABRIELLE 
Okay. Thanks again Celine.

Celine nodded as she left, closing the door behind her. Gabrielle held Aurora as she tried to relax and convince herself that Celine was right and there wasn't anything stalking around the village. After a bit Celine returned. Startling Gabrielle as she barged through the front door huffing slightly, having apparently ran to the house.

GABRIELLE 
What is it Celine.

Gabrielle stood with a worried expression on her face as she held Aurora.

CELINE 
I think we've got trouble Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE 
Why what did you see?

CELINE 
I didn't find evidence of anything getting in. But I did run into one of the village guards who was on her way to see you.

GABRIELLE 
Why?

CELINE 
She said that she and a couple others spotted some suspicious activity just outside the village. I told her that she should head back to keep watch and I'd come get you.

GABRIELLE 
What did she mean by suspicious activity?

CELINE 
I'm not sure. She said it would be better to tell you in person.

A multitude thoughts ran through Gabrielle's mind as she hoped that the village wasn't in serious danger.

GABRIELLE 
Okay I'll go meet with her.

Gabrielle was about to head out when she looked at the baby that she was still holding.

CELINE 
I could watch her for you while you go handle things.

Gabrielle's attention returned to Celine.

GABRIELLE 
Are you sure.

CELINE 
Of course. I'd be more than happy to.

GABRIELLE 
Thanks Celine.

Gabrielle handed Aurora over to Celine.

GABRIELLE 
You're a life saver.

CELINE 
It's no big deal. I'm just glad I can help.

Gabrielle grabbed her staff as she prepared to leave. Stopping to give Aurora a kiss.

GABRIELLE 
Be a good girl Aurora.

Gabrielle then looked at Celine.

GABRIELLE 
I'll be back as soon as I can.

With that Gabrielle left to speak with the village guards. She made her way to the village entrance where she saw a couple guards on duty.

VILLAGE GUARD 1
Queen Gabrielle. It's nice to see you today. Is there something you need?

GABRIELLE 
Actually yes. I've been informed that there's been some sort of suspicious activity outside the village. 

The two guards looked at one another for a moment seemingly confused by what Gabrielle was talking about before looking back at her.

VILLAGE GUARD 1
I haven't heard about anything like that.

VILLAGE GUARD 2
Me neither.

GABRIELLE
That's strange. Celine said that she just spoke to a guard who was on their way to find me.

VILLAGE GUARD 2
Well we did just change shifts. So it could've been one of the other guards. Though it does seem odd that we wouldn't be notified of anything that seemed out of place.

VILLAGE GUARD 1
I guess one of them could've noticed something after we took our posts.

VILLAGE GUARD 2
Thats true.

GABRIELLE 
I probably should've asked Celine exactly who she spoke to. I think I'll go talk to her again so I can find out which guard approached her and get to the bottom of this. 

VILLAGE GUARD 1
We'll be sure to be on alert for anything.

Gabrielle headed back home. She was almost there when she saw Celine running towards her.

GABRIELLE 
Celine?

Gabrielle hurried to meet her.

GABRIELLE
What are you doing here? You said you would watch Aurora.

Gabrielle could see tears beginning to fill Celine's eyes as she started to speak.

CELINE 
I'm sorry Gabrielle. I'm so sorry. This is all my fault. I don't know what happened.

Now Gabrielle was becoming very worried as she saw how distraught Celine was.

GABRIELLE
Celine what's going on?

CELINE 
It's Aurora. I left her in her basket for a minute while nature called. And when I came back the front door was wide open and she was gone.

A feeling of pure horror fell over Gabrielle as she heard Celine say those last words.

GABRIELLE 
Gone?! What do you mean Aurora's gone? Why was the door open?

CELINE 
I don't know. But as soon as I didn't see her I began looking for her. But couldn't find any trace of her. That's when I came looking for you.

Without another word Gabrielle ran the rest of the way back home as Celine followed. The front door swung open as the panicked Gabrielle entered the house and frantically looked around for the baby. But didn't see any signs of her.

GABRIELLE 
I have to go find Xena.

Gabrielle was almost out the door when she heard Celine behind her.

CELINE
Oh dear, sweet Artemis. Gabrielle I found something.

Gabrielle turned around as she saw Celine looking at a piece of paper that she had picked up.

GABRIELLE 
What's that?

Celine looked up from the paper as she walked over and handed it to Gabrielle.

CELINE 
Something that you're not gonna wanna see.

Gabrielle looked Celine for a moment, as she got a very terrible feeling. Causing her to suspect that Celine was right. But knew that if Celine had given her the paper, she must've felt that it was important for Gabrielle to see it regardless. So reluctantly Gabrielle read the note. And as she did, Gabrielle felt her heart sink.

GABRIELLE 
No. Dear God's no.

As soon as she finished reading the note, Gabrielle felt as though the world had just ended while sheer panic set in. Then without saying anything else to Celine, Gabrielle bolted out the front door as she ran as fast as she could to find Xena.

GABRIELLE 
Xena!

TO BE CONTINUED...

Bard's Page

Back to the Academy