Pt.4

Xena blocked an incoming punch as she knocked the Amazon she was sparing with to the ground.

SKYLA
(Joking tone) And down goes another one.

IRIS
Wow Xena sure didn't waste any time getting back into the swing of things has she?

SKYLA
No kidding. Hey Clover why don't you get in there next?

Clover leaned up against the fence as she, Skyla, Iris and a number of others watched the sparing matches that Xena was leading.

CLOVER
And have Xena kick my ass next? No thank you. I've already spared and seen her fight enough to know that I don't have a choice in Tartarus of beating her.

EPHINY
No one does. I don't know why people keep trying.

IRIS
Ephiny didn't you just go up against her last time?

EPHINY
Yeah well I uh…

Ephiny looked away as she tried to come up with something, but got nothing causing the group to laugh.

SKYLA
(Joking tone) I suppose a woman can dream.

The playful banter was interrupted when Clover heard Gabrielle's voice yelling for Xena and looked over to see her running towards them. Clover was just about to call for Xena, when she saw Xena quickly leap over the fence and met Gabrielle when she was almost to the practice field having obviously heard Gabrielle calling her.

XENA
Gabrielle?

Xena could see a look of panic in Gabrielle's eyes as Gabrielle ran into her arms.

GABRIELLE
I don't know what happened. I was only gone for a few minutes. Oh god's Xena I don't know what to do.

Gabrielle began to cry as a very confused and concerned Xena held her while trying to comfort her enough to get Gabrielle to calm down a little so xena could make sense of what she was trying to tell her.

XENA
It's alright Gabrielle. I'm here.

During this time the others that were gathered for the matches looked on as they wondered why was going on. After a couple moments Gabrielle managed to calm down enough to actually speak coherently again and stepped back from Xena's embrace.

XENA
Okay now tell me what could've happened to suddenly drive you to hysterics like that. What's wrong?

GABRIELLE
She's gone. I went outside for a few minutes and then…

Gabrielle couldn't finish as she began to break down again. Xena held her once more as she tried to get what information she could from the sobbing Gabrielle. Knowing that whatever happened it must've been very serious to have gotten her this badly upset. Finally Gabrielle stopped crying as she forced herself to control her emotions. Knowing that she had to be strong to do what needed to be done.

XENA
You good now?

GABRIELLE
I think so.

XENA
Okay. Now can you tell me what's going on?

Gabrielle nodded. Then she explained that she had left Aurora with Celine while she went to check on something. But as she was on her way back home, Celine had run up to her and told her that Aurora was missing.

GABRIELLE
And when we got back to the house we found this note.

Gabrielle gave Xena the now crumpled piece of paper that she had inadvertently been tightly clenching. After straightening it out enough to see the words written, Xena silently read the note to herself.

NOTE
Gabrielle,
We have your child and if you want any hopes of seeing her again you will comply with the following instructions. You are to leave the village and meet us at the location that is provided below. Where you will exchange yourself for the child. You may bring one other person with you to bring your child back. However this second person can NOT be Xena. Under no circumstances is she to accompany you to the exchange location. Or you will never see the child again. And just to be clear your child's life rests soley on the decisions you make after reading this letter. You have two weeks to comply.
Looking forward to seeing you,
Anonymous

Xena finished reading and glanced over and looked for Celine who had gotten there just after Gabrielle.

XENA
(Angry tone) How could you let this happen?

Xena let Gabrielle go as she turned and stormed up to Celine.

CELINE
I never meant it to I swear.

Xena grabbed Celine by her top as she pulled Celine in close enough she practically feel the anger radiating off of Xena.

XENA
(Angry tone) Gabrielle said that you had agreed to watch Aurora. So what the fuck were you doing that gave someone enough time to get into our house and kidnap our child.

CELINE
I'm sorry. I thought I heard something outside. I didn't want to run the risk of some vicious creature getting inside, so after I made sure the baby was okay, I went outside to check it out. I swear Aurora was safely laying in her basket when I left. I'm so sorry I never thought something like this would happen. I who here would kidnap your baby?

XENA
(Angry tone) Well clearly they're not here anymore are they?

GABRIELLE
Xena stop. This isn't her fault.

XENA
(Angry tone) Isn't it though. If she hadn't left the house when she said she'd watch Aurora this wouldn't have happened.

EPHINY
Maybe so, but beating Celine to a bloody pulp isn't going to help you get Aurora back any faster.

Xena glanced over at Ephiny along with several others who had been listening in to the conversation. Then she felt Gabrielle's hand on her arm and looked at her.

GABRIELLE
Please.

Xena sighed as she glanced back at Celine for a moment before letting her go.

XENA
Sorry, being afraid for Aurora and not knowing who's behind this, I guess I just wanted someone easy to blame.

Celine straightened out her top.

CELINE
I understand. I don't have any children of my own yet so I can't imagine what you must be feeling right now.

The rest of the group gathered around as they tried to give what comfort and support they could to the two terrified mothers.

SKYLA
So what do you do now?

XENA
We get our daughter back.

GABRIELLE
Whatever it takes.

 

Pt.5

With a scowl Xena stormed away from the small crowd as Gabrielle quickly followed.

GABRIELLE
Xena where are you going?

XENA
Isn't it obvious. I'm gonna go find the bastard that has our little girl and make them regret ever laying a finger on her.

GABRIELLE
Xena you can't. The letter...

Xena quickly stopped and turned around to face Gabrielle.

XENA
(Angry tone) I know full well what that paper says. But if whoever's behind this thinks for one second that I'm just gonna let you hand yourself over so they can do who knows what to you, they clearly have no clue who they're dealing with.

GABRIELLE
I understand and I'd probably feel the same way if the situation were reversed. But this is our daughter's life we're talking about. If anything happened to her, Xena I don't know what I'd do.

XENA
I know, but I'm not letting you go alone.

GABRIELLE
Xena don't do this again. Don't go treating me like I need to be protected. I thought we agreed that I was perfectly capable of handling myself.

XENA
This is different and you know it. Whoever's responsible for this is targeting you directly.

GABRIELLE
Well if you remember I got through being targeted before by Valassca and I came out okay.

XENA
Yes but it was only your life at steak then. This time they have leverage to get you to do whatever they want.

GABRIELLE
Do you not trust me to get Aurora back?

XENA
It's not you I don't trust, it's them. Who's to say that once they have you that we'll actually get her back.

GABRIELLE
Gods I hadn't even thought of that. Then what are we gonna do? I can't not go.

Xena held Gabrielle for a moment as fear replaced the rage that she had just been feeling. The fear of losing either Gabrielle, Aurora or even both. All of which Xena hoped she would never have to go through.

XENA
We'll get her back Gabrielle. I promise. And I'm not gonna let anything happen to you either. I don't know how yet, but we'll figure out something.

AMARICE
Maybe someone else can go with her?

Xena and Gabrielle looked to see Amarice and several others approaching them.

CELINE
I was actually thinking the same thing.

Gabrielle looked back at Xena for a moment.

GABRIELLE
The letter does say I can bring one other person as long as it's not you.

Gabrielle looked at Amarice and Celine

GABRIELLE
Maybe one of you can come with me instead. That is if you want to.

CELINE
Please let me go. I can't tell you how horrible I feel about this whole situation. If I had been watching princess Aurora more closely then this never would've happened. So allow me to try and make up for my mistake and help you get Aurora back.

GABRIELLE
Of course Celine. But just so you know we don't blame you for Aurora being kidnapped.

Xena crossed her arms as she looked at the others and muttered to herself loud enough for the others to hear.

XENA
(Angerly muttering) Speak for yourself.

Gabrielle shot Xena an unhappy look but didn't say anything to her knowing that Xena was already upset enough and didn't want to waste time on this.

GABRIELLE
Xena doesn't mean that Celine. She's just upset about this whole situation.

CELINE
I understand.

GABRIELLE
It's settled then. Celine and I will leave as soon as we can to go rescue Aurora.

CELINE
Thank you Gabrielle. I'll start getting ready immediately.

Celine and Gabrielle we just about to go pack when Xena spoke.

XENA
I still don't like the idea of not being there with you. Plus we still don't know who whoever has Aurora actually is or what they want with you.

GABRIELLE
I know that but I don't see any other way around this.

XENA
I do.

GABRIELLE
Xena we've been over this, you know you can't come with me.

XENA
I'm going and that's all there is to it.

GABRIELLE
(Sighing) I should've known you'd be like this.

XENA
Think about it Gabrielle none of us know what you'll be walking into. Don't you realize this is obviously some kind of trap?

GABRIELLE
I'm not stupid Xena. I know that. But if it means the safety of our child I'd be willing to walk through Tartarus itself to protect her.

XENA
I know. And so would I.

GABRIELLE
Then why would you insist on going when we were specifically told that you can't.

XENA
Gabrielle you just asked me if I trusted you, now I'm asking you the same.

GABRIELLE
Of course I do, you know that.

XENA
Then let me come with you.

GABRIELLE
But the letter.

XENA
Relax it's not like I'm gonna burst through the front door of the place. You're still gonna be the one going in to get Aurora. I'll be hiding nearby just to make sure they actually have Aurora. They'll never know I'm there. Until after we safely have her back. Then I'm gonna make it so they can never kidnap anyone's child again.

Gabrielle thought about Xena's plan. Figuring that Xena did bring up some good points with not knowing who they were dealing with, what they really wanted or if they would actually give Aurora back once Gabrielle handed herself over. And Xena being there would really help to ensure that they got their daughter back safely. Plus it wasn't like Gabrielle could actually stop Xena from going anyway.

GABRIELLE
(Sighing) Okay Xena you win.

XENA
Good. Now let's go get our daughter back.

CELINE
Are you sure about this?

Gabrielle looked at Celine.

GABRIELLE
I trust Xena. I know her coming with us gives us a far better chance at getting Aurora back.

CELINE
But what if they see Xena coming?

XENA
They won't.

CELINE
How can you be sure?

GABRIELLE
Celine I know that you haven't known Xena for all that long, and haven't really seen her in action. But trust me you'd be surprised by just what Xena's capable of. Especially when she's given the right motivation.

Celine looked at Xena, still thinking that her going was a bad idea as she turned to Amarice.

CELINE
And what do you think?

AMARICE
Given that it's their child that's in danger, I don't think it would be right to try and stop either of them from going. Plus I agree that it's a better idea for Xena to go then trying to get her to stay here.

Seeing that she was out numbered regarding the situation, Celine relented in her insistence on doing exactly what the kidnappers note said.

CELINE
Okay I guess if everyone else thinks Xena going is a good idea, I won't object.

XENA
Giving that this has nothing to do with you Celine, your objections here didn't matter anyway.

CELINE
Fair enough. I never meant to cause any problems. I just want to make sure princess Aurora comes home safe and sound.

GABRIELLE
We know Celine. And both Xena and I appreciate your concern.

XENA
Alright now that that's settled we had better get ready. I wanna be on the road before it gets dark.

AMARICE
Then if it's okay with you I'd like to come with you too. I think it might be a good idea to have someone with Xena for back up if you need it.

Celine looked at Amarice.

CELINE
Xena I get, but you? I really don't think showing up with a whole group is a very smart idea.

AMARICE
I'm actually pretty good at being stealthily. I can scout things out to make sure it's safe. Plus I think it might be smart to have someone with Xena. It's no secret that she can get a little... unhinged when it comes to protecting the people she loves.

Xena glared at Amarice.

XENA
(Irritated tone) Unhinged?

Amarice shrugged as she took a step away from Xena.

AMARICE
No offense.

XENA
(Irritated tone) And just how was I supposed to take that comment?

Gabrielle decided to chime in and try and settle things down before things got any worse.

GABRIELLE
Uh what she ment to say was that you can go a little overboard when you know that those you care for are in danger. Not that it's always necessarily a bad thing. But you can go a little dark in situations like that and you know it's true Xena.

Xena sighed knowing that they were right.

XENA
I don't need a babysitter but fine if it'll make you feel better Gabrielle we'll take Amarice with us. She'll stay with me and help keep an eye out for anything suspicious.

GABRIELLE
Good it's decided. Celine and myself will go in and get Aurora. While Xena and Amarice stay hidden and on the look out for any signs of trouble until Celine gets Aurora somewhere safe.

XENA
Then I'll step in and show that sneaky bastard what happens when you go after anyone I love.

With their plan for rescuing baby Aurora set, the four split up and went to go quickly pack for the trip. With both Xena and Gabrielle wanting to leave as soon as possible. And before long Xena and Gabrielle saddled Argo as they rode out the village with Celine and Amarice each on their own horse following behind. As all four began the journey to save Aurora. With Xena and Gabrielle unaware of the true dangers that layed ahead and what they would have to endure to save not only their daughter but themselves.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Bard's Page

Back to the Academy