Pt.6

The sound of hooves hitting hard dirt could be heard as Xena, Gabrielle, Amarice and Celine headed towards the rendezvous point given to them by Aurora's kidnapper. A multitude of thoughts raced through Gabrielle's mind as they traveled. Such as who was behind the kidnapping, why were they targeting her, and how did they even know about Aurora to begin with? All of which were questions that Xena wanted the answers to as well. The group traveled as far as they could until began to get dark having gotten a late start they didn't cover as much ground as either Xena or Gabrielle had hoped they would. So dispite not wanting to stop, Xena knew it was too dangerous to travel without any light, so she, Gabrielle, Amarice and Celine found a decent spot to set up camp for the night. Once everything was set up Amarice cooked up a quick dinner as the group sat around the campfire. Everyone sat in silence as Celine, Amarice and Xena ate. While Gabrielle just picked at and pushed her food around on her plate. Not having much of an appetite being far too worried about Aurora to even think about food. Xena looked over and noticed Gabrielle distractedly pushing her dinner around.

XENA 
I know you're worried but you should at least try to eat something.

Gabrielle was pulled from her thoughts as she looked at Xena for a moment then back at her plate.

GABRIELLE 
Huh? Oh yeah.

Xena watched the sadness and worry in Gabrielle's eyes as she forced down some of her dinner. Until she set her plate aside not being able to stomach any more. Then just sat there looking into the fire. She hadn't said much since they left the village. And Xena knew that the normally talkative Gabrielle being quiet was never a good thing. Not that Xena didn't understand. Their baby daughter was taken from them by some unknown assailant who clearly had a grudge against Gabrielle. Xena knew all too well what it felt like to have someone she loved targeted by someone who was trying to get to or hurt her. But they were all old enemies that Xena had made from her past warlord days. Gabrielle was different, aside from Valassca, she had never been a direct target before. And even then Valassca had gone after Gabrielle directly. But now whoever this was had chosen to target their daughter as a tactic for getting what they wanted from Gabrielle. Obviously knowing that it would get her to do practically anything they wanted. But aside from the kidnapping and demand for Gabrielle in exchange for Aurora, what bothered Xena was how whoever had their child even knew about her and got her in the first place. There wasn't anyone suddenly absent from the village, which lead Xena to believe that the culprit was someone from outside of the village. But who, Xena didn't have a clue. The only people outside the village who knew about Aurora were Xena and Gabrielle's families. Shortly after Aurora was born Gabrielle had decided to send a letter to Xena's mother as well as her own family to tell them the good news. But Xena knew that none of them could've been responsible. For one they had no idea where the village was. And none of them would do such a terrible thing. Xena also suspected the possibility of the kidnapping being the work of one of the gods. But when it came to coming up with gods who didn't like her or Gabrielle, the list wasn't exactly short. Xena had already ruled out Artemis and Aphrodite. Artemis was the one who given them Aurora in the first place, she had no reason to take her away. Aphrodite seemed to have a soft spot for them, especially Gabrielle so she would have no motive. Ares, while he would definitely have motive as far as Xena knew he was still being punished for causing the war amung the Amazon's in order to get rid of Gabrielle and get to Xena. So it most likely wasn't him. And while she couldn't directly rule out the rest of the gods, Xena had a very strong suspicion that this was likely the work of a person or group of people. But unfortunately that was about all she had. Which made the whole situation worse, the fact that neither she or Gabrielle really knew anything about what they were walking into. But one thing that Xena knew for sure was that she was going to make whoever was responsible for taking their daughter pay. Regardless of who they were.

GABRIELLE 
I think i’m just gonna go to bed. I should try and get some sleep so we can head back out early.

Xena was brought out of her thoughts when she heard Gabrielle as she stood up.

XENA 
That's probably a good idea.

Amarice and Celine agreed as they all got out their blankets and settled down for the night. As Xena layed down next to Gabrielle, she held her close. The two were quiet for a bit until Gabrielle spoke into the darkness of the night.

GABRIELLE 
Xena, can I ask you something?

XENA 
Anything, you know that.

GABRIELLE 
You would do anything for Aurora wouldn't you?

Xena didn't like where she felt that the conversation was going..

XENA 
Gabrielle we talked about this. I’m not letting you hand yourself over to whoever has Aurora.

GABRIELLE 
Xena just listen to me here, please. If that's truly the only way to get Aurora back, then after Celine brings her to you, I want you to take Aurora and go back home.

Xena sighed as she sat up.

XENA 
Gabrielle you can't seriously ask me to do that. You should know that I could never leave you like that.

GABRIELLE 
Maybe before when it was just the two of us I wouldn't. But this isn't just our lives at steak here Xena. We have our beautiful, innocent child to think about. I’m not saying that we give up already but if there really isn't any other way to get Aurora back safely, then I want you to protect Aurora and leave me with her kidnappers.

XENA 
Gabrielle….

GABRIELLE 
Don't argue with me Xena. My minds already made up. Plus we both know that if the roles were reversed you'd do the same thing.

As much as Xena wanted to argue she knew Gabrielle was right. Though it didn't make it any easier. So without saying anything else Xena just pulled Gabrielle close and held her as she made a silent vow that she would find a way to rescue their daughter without anything happening to Gabrielle. As morning soon came and the group continued thier journey to save Xena and Gabrielle's daughter. Unaware of the perils they would soon face in order to get Aurora back.

TO BE CONTINUED…

Pt.7

A couple days went by as Xena, Gabrielle, Celine and Amarice continued towards the location that was given to them in the ransom note to retrieve Aurora. To say that Xena wasn't at all happy with the thought of Gabrielle surrendering herself to Aurora's kidnappers would be a massive understatement. And although Gabrielle had made up her mind about the situation, Xena had been working on coming up with various scenarios for getting Aurora back safely without risking Gabrielle's life.

GABRIELLE 
I think we're getting close.

Gabrielle looked at the ransom letter for a moment then at the groups surroundings as Xena walked up behind her while leading Argo. Xena looked a head seeing some mountains In the distance.

XENA 
Looks like those are the mountains we're heading for.

GABRIELLE 
How are we supposed to find the right cave where they said they'd be waiting.

XENA 
I’m certain that they'll be watching for you. But we still have at least one or two days worth of travel until we get there anyway.

GABRIELLE 
That doesn't make me feel any better.

XENA 
I know.

GABRIELLE 
I just hope I at least get to see her before you leave.

Xena put her hand on her shoulder.

XENA 
You will. Gabrielle I know you feel like there's no other way out of this, but trust me I will not let anyone harm you or our child. And I'll do whatever it takes to bring you both home. I promise.

Gabrielle didn't say anything as Celine and Amarice came ridding up beside them.

CELINE 
Are we going the right direction?

XENA 
Yeah. It shouldn't be too much further.

CELINE 
Good.

AMARICE 
Before we head out again I'm gonna go refill my waterskin in that stream over there.

Amarice motioned a little ways off to a small stream.

XENA
Good idea, Gabrielle why don't you go refill ours while we're here too.

GABRIELLE 
Sure. You want me to get yours too Celine?

CELINE 
No mines good.

Gabrielle grabbed her and Xena's waterskins as she and Amarice went to get fill them. While Xena and Celine stood waiting for them to return. Xena was actually glad that Celine hadn't needed water because there was something that she'd been wanting to discuss with Celine while Gabrielle wasn't within earshot.

XENA 
Celine if you don't mind i’d like to ask you something.

CELINE 
Of course Xena. What's up?

XENA 
You know that the ransom says that Gabrielle is to trade herself for Aurora right?

Celine glanced down sadly for a moment before looking back at Xena.

CELINE 
I do.

XENA 
And that after the exchange you were to leave and bring Aurora out to me?

CELINE 
That's the plan.

XENA 
Well I’d like to amend that plan slightly.

Celine gave Xena a curious look.

CELINE 
Meaning?

XENA 
It means that while you and Gabrielle go in to get Aurora, i’m gonna sneak in behind you and stay hidden as I keep watch over everything. Then after you leave with Aurora you'll meet back up with Amarice and I'll make sure Gabrielle gets out of there safely too.

Celine was quiet as she thought for a moment then spoke.

CELINE 
I don't know. Do you think Gabrielle is gonna go along with this new plan?

XENA 
Gabrielle isn't gonna know about it.

CELINE 
I see. In that case i’m not sure how comfortable I am about doing something behind my queen's back like this.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) Are you more comfortable with the idea of your queen being dead?

CELINE 
(Nervous tone) No of course not. 
I just don't want to go against her wishes. Like I said she IS my queen.

XENA 
Look Celine I understand being loyal, but there are also some things that are worth going against what you're told to do.

CELINE 
But what about your daughter?

XENA 
I won't let anything happen to her. Plus you'll already be gone with her by the time they know i’m there.

Celine sighed as she thought about what Xena was saying.

CELINE 
Okay but what do I do after I leave with the baby?

XENA 
You'll meet up with Amarice and wait for me and Gabrielle to come back.

CELINE 
And if you don't?

XENA 
We will. But just in case we don't come back after a few hours then you and Amarice take Aurora back home. She'll be raised in the village and remain there where she'll be safe. I know everyone back there will watch over her until she's old enough to take Gabrielle's place as queen.

CELINE
Wow you've really thought this through haven't you?

XENA 
Unfortunately yes. But I fully plan on doing everything within my power to make sure that we all make it back home together.

CELINE 
I know.

Xena looked over to see Gabrielle and Amarice heading back towards them.

XENA 
And remember to keep this just between us Celine. I’d rather not have Gabrielle know what I'm planning. She'd never go for it.

CELINE 
Makes sense.

A few minutes later Gabrielle and Amarice returned with their water and all four mounted their horses and continued on their way. Xena now felt far more comfortable knowing that she had an actual plan ready for saving both Aurora and Gabrielle. Even if Gabrielle might be upset with her for her doing this behind her back, Xena knew that in the end Gabrielle would see that this was the best way to handle this and understand Xena doing everything she could to protect both her and Aurora. It was late the next night as Xena stood scouting the area that surrounded where they assumed Aurora and her kidnapper were.

GABRIELLE 
You see anything?

XENA 
Look there.

Xena pointed to a horse that was off grazing in the distance. And based on the fact that it had a saddle and reigns it clearly belonged to someone.

GABRIELLE 
You think that horse belongs to the kidnapper?

XENA 
Based on the fact that this is a pretty out of the way spot and where you're supposed to meet I’d bet my last dinar on it.

GABRIELLE 
I'll get Celine so we can go.

Gabrielle went to turn to go get Celine when Xena grabbed her.

XENA 
Hold on a minute Gabrielle.

Gabrielle looked at Xena.

GABRIELLE 
Xena if you're gonna try and talk me out of this don't bother. I’m going in there and you're gonna wait here for Celine to bring you Aurora. Like we agreed.

XENA 
I'm not trying to stop you. I just…

Gabrielle took Xena's hand.

GABRIELLE 
It'll be okay. 

Xena pulled Gabrielle in and held her for a moment.

XENA 
Be careful okay.

GABRIELLE 
I will. I love you.

XENA 
Love you too. 

Reluctantly Xena let Gabrielle leave her embrace as Celine walked over.

GABRIELLE 
Okay let's go Celine.

CELINE 
Right behind you.

Gabrielle began walking down the large hill they were on towards the group of caves that ran in and out of a series of cliffs.

XENA 
Make sure you keep an eye on her until you get Aurora. I don't trust whoever's responsible for this to just hand over the baby so easily.

CELINE 
Why not. If they have what they want there's no need to keep the baby.

XENA 
Yes and that's exactly what i’m afraid of.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Pt.8

Celine looked at Xena as they stood a ways off from the caves where Gabrielle was set to meet with Aurora's kidnappers While Gabrielle waited for Celine to join her to head inside to make the exchange where Gabrielle would give herself over to the kidnappers so Celine could take the baby and meet back up with Amarice. Gabrielle had already begun making her way towards the entrance.

CELINE 
I don't get it you're afraid that they won't keep the baby. Isn't the whole point of this to get her back?

XENA 
What I mean is once they have Gabrielle, Aurora would have served her purpose. And if whoever's behind this really wants to hurt Gabrielle or myself then they might just kill her anyway.

Celine looked at Xena with a horrified expression on her face.

CELINE 
Kill Aurora? But she's just a baby. Who would even actually think to do such a heinous act. To murder a child, I can't even think of how anyone could do something like that.

XENA 
You’d be surprised by the levels of depravity people are willing to sink to in order to get what they want.

CELINE 
That's horrible. But I think you're wrong here. If they wanted her dead then they could've done it already. There wouldn't be any need to do all of this.

XENA 
You'd be right, if this was actually about Aurora. But this whole thing was clearly done to hurt Gabrielle and myself. Which is why they wanted us here. Instead of simply killing her out right.

Xena looked out at the cliffs that Gabrielle was walking towards.

XENA 
No whoever's doing this wants us to worry and suffer. There's usually only two base reasons for kidnapping children. Money or something personal. And since the ransom was for Gabrielle directly and not money, this is clearly personal. So even if they don't kill Aurora they might not even have her here.

CELINE 
You think they could have her somewhere else?

XENA 
Possibly, in order to prevent Gabrielle from just grabbing her and running. Or they don't have her at all anymore. They could've given her to someone to raise, solid her in to slavery, unfortunately there's a lot of things a person can do with an unwanted child. And whoever's responsible is obviously willing to do just about anything in order to hurt Gabrielle and myself.

CELINE 
And yet Gabrielle's still willing to risk her life for this?

XENA 
Obviously I haven't said any of this to her. The last thing she needs right now is the thought of our child being dead or abused by some slave owner or something like that. And you don't know this because you're not a parent, but people who love their children would basically do literally anything when it comes to protecting them. Plus there's also a chance that they do still have Aurora and she's safe. I’m just running through the possibilities.

CELINE 
That's still Incredibly dark.

XENA 
Well if you've seen the things I have you’d know that this world can be a cold, dark place.

CELINE 
Trust me I’m well aware of that. But I get it. Be prepared for anything.

XENA 
Exactly. But I’m gonna do everything I can to make sure that things go as they should here. We get Aurora back safely and nothing will happen to Gabrielle.  

During Xena and Celine's conversation Gabrielle noticed that Celine hadn't followed her and turned around. Xena spotted Gabrielle coming back towards them and hurried Celine off to catch up.

XENA 
You should go. Just keep an eye on things.

CELINE 
I will. 

With that Celine quickly caught up with Gabrielle. As Xena walked over to stand next to Amarice.

GABRIELLE 
What were you and Xena talking about?

CELINE 
Oh she just wanted me to keep watch over things for anything suspicious.

GABRIELLE 
That seemed like a long conversation just for that.

CELINE 
Yeah well you know how Xena can be. Plus giving the situation can you really blame her?

GABRIELLE 
No I guess not. Well come on let's get this over with. The sooner I actually see Aurora for myself the better I'll feel about this.

CELINE 
Okay. Lead on.

Gabrielle walked ahead with Celine following as they made their way into the cave. Once they disappeared inside the cave’s entrance Xena turned to Amarice.

XENA 
While everyone's gone I want you to find somewhere nearby to hide until Celine brings Aurora out.

AMARICE 
Sure, but why?

XENA 
Because whoever's behind this most likely has other people around and I don't need you being spotted.

AMARICE 
I got it.

XENA 
Good. And be sure to keep an eye out for anything suspicious.

AMARICE 
You really don't trust whoever kidnapped Aurora do you?

XENA 
Well they kidnapped my child who’s just a baby and demanding the woman I love in exchange for ransom. So no I don't trust them. Not in the slightest.

With that Xena hurried in the same direction that Gabrielle and Celine had gone and stealthily slipped into the cave as Amarice found a rock to hide behind while she waited for Celine to come back outside with Aurora. Not having the slightest inkling of the unexpected events that would soon transpire inside.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Bard's Page

Back to the Academy